or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Radio Shack to accept pre-orders for iPhone 4 alongside Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Radio Shack to accept pre-orders for iPhone 4 alongside Apple

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
In a rare vote of confidence, Apple has authorized third-party iPhone retailer Radio Shack to participate in its iPhone 4 pre-launch which kicks off early next week, AppleInsider has learned.

Radio Shack locations nationwide received a brief on the matter earlier this week, followed by a series of conference calls between Apple, regional Radio Shack managers, and individual store representatives, according to people familiar with the matter.

Those same people say store representatives will soon begin advocating the pre-order option to walk-in customers, who can then schedule an appointment for next Tuesday, June 15th, when they can return to the store and formally reserve one of the new handsets for pickup on June 24th, when device is scheduled to go on sale nationwide.

Several Radio Shack locations, including those which don't currently offer the iPhone, may even open shop a couple of hours early on Tuesday to field pre-order signups.

A spokesperson for the electronics retailer confirmed to AppleInsider that it had been authorized by Apple to participate in the pre-launch but said further details, such as per-store inventory allotments and the precise reservation process, were still being hammered out.

Radio Shack instantly became the second-largest third-party retailer of iPhones in the U.S. by storefronts when it began selling the iPhone 3GS in 3,000 of its 4,500 locations on March 28th. It joined AT&T, Best Buy and Wal-Mart as the only national retail chains authorized to market the device, of which only the latter operates more stores.

Radio Shack had been working towards that milestone since January, expanding sales of the Apple handset to hundreds of new stores each week, following a successful pilot program that began late last year in a handful of locations around Manhattan and its home base of Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas.

Radio Shack locations will also be touting their cell phone Trade-In Program as a means for customers to obtain a new iPhone for a fraction of the cost. Specifically, the program offers customers the option of turning in their old phone in return for a Radio Shack gift card that they could turn around and use towards the purchase of a new iPhone or other product.

For example, a previous-generation 16GB iPhone 3G that appraises "in fairly good condition" could net up to a $185 Radio Shack gift card, if it is tied to an expiring or expired two-year contract, bringing the cost of a new 16GB iPhone 4 down to just $14 before taxes and AT&T's standard $36 new phone activation fee. Similarly, a 16GB iPhone 3GS in good condition could pay up to $256.84 while the 32GB model could net customers as much $329.

In addition to Radio Shack, Best Buy, Wal-Mart and AT&T will also participate in Apple's iPhone 4 rollout on June 24th. For its part, however, Wal-Mart will not be participating in pre-launch reservations, the company said Friday. It remains unclear whether Best Buy and AT&T will offer the pre-order option to its own customers.
post #2 of 44
How times change. In a visit to my local Radio Shack (a real shack) a couple of years ago, the owner spent all his time dissing Apple and my iPhone, and tried to sell me some ugly Verizon phones.

Now, they're the largest third-party retailer of iPhones, and will sell the iPhone 4 alongside Apple.

As they say, success has a thousand parents.
post #3 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

How times change. In a visit to my local Radio Shack (a real shack) a couple of years ago, the owner spent all his time dissing Apple and my iPhone, and tried to sell me some ugly Verizon phones.

What can you do. It's literally their job.
post #4 of 44
I can do this idependent of my contract right, to update my iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 4?
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
Reply
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
Reply
post #5 of 44
Throwing the "Shack" a bone apparently.

Best Buy got 15 iPads per store on release day. :LOL:

My local Authorized Apple Reseller didn't get one iPad, and still doesn't have any.
Neither are they allowed to carry anti-glare versions of the MacBooks.


It's whacked working with Cupertino, drama king city.
post #6 of 44
I just dropped into my local RS store. They actually knew about the iPhone 4 prelaunch and the trade-in policy, BUT, right off the bat they started to low ball the trade-in value. I had verified the value of my 16GB 3G iphone on the RS website before driving to the store, so I already thought I knew the value, BUT I was told the that value on my 16GB mint 3G was $100, not the $185+ price that their website offered. Being polite, I told them that their own website quoted a very different price, so they went into their in store trade-in appraisal screen and came up with a quote of $145+ (agreeing that my phone was in mint condition). They showed me the printout they got from RS on the program and it does states that ALL 3G iphones, regardless of condition will be valued at a minimum of $100. but until I pressed the issue, they were not aware that my phone would appraise on their system at the higher $145+ value.

The difference in value is that the online web appraisal requires you to mail your existing iphone to RS and within "3-4 weeks" they will mail you back your gift card (stated as such if you proceed far enough into the online trade site). Certainly does NOT make any sense in the case of a phone used daily. The in-store trade value is instant.

We checked the in store value for a 16GB 3GS it is also about $40 bucks lower than the on line trade-in quote.
post #7 of 44
RS now might be worth going to. Got a poor quality camera as a gift and returned it for store credit -- not finding anything worthwhile to exchange it for. For six months, I've been sitting on $100+ credit that I had expected would go to waste.

Now I will be able to use the credit towards an iPhone 4. Sweet!!

But, given some comments above, seems I've got protect my honor against their corporate sleaze. Some things never change.
post #8 of 44
Does anyone proof read this stuff? "who can then schedule an appointment for next Tuesday, July 15th, when they can return to the store and formally reserve one of the new handsets for pickup on June 24th"

So, on July 15th I can make an appointment for a phone that will have been out for three weeks?
post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

Does anyone proof read this stuff? "who can then schedule an appointment for next Tuesday, July 15th, when they can return to the store and formally reserve one of the new handsets for pickup on June 24th"

So, on July 15th I can make an appointment for a phone that will have been out for three weeks?

The iPhone 4 is not yet out. Apple begins taking pre-orders 15 June. Official first day of sale is 24 June (if I am not mistaken).
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition to Radio Shack, Best Buy, Wal-Mart and AT&T will also participate in Apple's iPhone 4 rollout on June 24th.

So 5 countries to start with 18 more the next month and 88 total in just a few months. In the US they will be sold in 222(?) Apple Stores, over 1,000(?) Best Buys, over 4,000(?) Wal-Marts, over 4,000 RadioShacks, and over 1,800(?) AT&T stores for a grand total of about 11,000 locations to buy the iPhone on launch day. They must really have a lot of product at the ready to be this confident.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #11 of 44
What this means is that Apple is very confident that they will be able to meet demand. That is, they have prepared for huge demand and are going after it aggressively.

AND - with the experience of delays on the iPad, I'll bet that a lot of people will pre-order!

Any bets on 2M sold in first week?

Investors: This is a great time to buy in the dip! By the end of the month, the iPhone 4 launch will be history, and the stock price will have responded.
post #12 of 44
I have to say - making an appointment to make a pre-order is rather cute.

I can see though, where it will give Apple an early gauge of demand.
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

What this means is that Apple is very confident that they will be able to meet demand. That is, they have prepared for huge demand and are going after it aggressively.

AND - with the experience of delays on the iPad, I'll bet that a lot of people will pre-order!

Any bets on 2M sold in first week?

Investors: This is a great time to buy in the dip! By the end of the month, the iPhone 4 launch will be history, and the stock price will have responded.

I see your 2M and move it to the first weekend and raise you to 3M in the first full week (assuming there are no shortages which pretty much gives me an out ).

With AT&T allowing most 3GS buyers to get the iPhone 4 at the Upgrade Eligible price it's a no brainer for many. I've even coached people on how to make money on getting this next iPhone for "free" in two weeks.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #14 of 44
Really? Radio Shack? i guess Apple is going to make up for the recent iPad shortages in the US due to the international launch, by going all out and pushing the new iPhone through as many channels as it can handle.

Sad to see that Canada was not one of the initial launch countries (most of us are only 2 years into our disgusting 3 year contracts of course). We waited forever for the iTunes store, the iPhone, the iPad was only a little late.

I don't understand why Steve doesn't love us...

Is it the food? On behalf of the Frozen North, let me apologise to all vegans for Canadian Bacon and other meat based food atrocities:

We're sorry Steve!

Now give us the iPhone too.
Please?

post #15 of 44
I have an old palm Treo 650 and it's trade-in value was under $4.00. Just for kicks, I checked what the Palm Pre's trade in value is, and it pays a whopping $62.92 in best condition. Not much resale value for a phone that is barely 2 years old. My 16g Iphone is worth over twice that amount.
post #16 of 44
You might bash radio shack but what they are doing is if you trade in your iphone 3gs when you get the iphone 4g there you get $184 towards the iphone 4g. apple isnt doing that.
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

.....
With AT&T allowing most 3GS buyers to get the iPhone 4 at the Upgrade Eligible price it's a no brainer for many. I've even coached people on how to make money on getting this next iPhone for "free" in two weeks.

3GS upgrade at reduced price at launch? Can you double check that? Did not think that was true until at least next year for 3GS owners? Or is there something for mega-users(heavy users, multiple phones etc)
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #18 of 44
Yes I had the exact same experience so I am using the online system to ship my phone at their expense FedEx to Texas and will wait for my $185.94 gift card to come back. My local store refuses to honor the online quote. They wanted to give me $141 plus said that amount is going down daily. $141 is less than the quote was 2 days ago he said.

My store guy did say they would hold my reserved phone for me until my gift card gets mailed back to me. But he can't honor the quote given to me from the online website. Must be the stores are getting a cut of the trade in cash when they do a trade in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtidmore;

I just dropped into my local RS store. They actually knew about the iPhone 4 prelaunch and the trade-in policy, BUT, right off the bat they started to low ball the trade-in value. I had verified the value of my 16GB 3G iphone on the RS website before driving to the store, so I already thought I knew the value, BUT I was told the that value on my 16GB mint 3G was $100, not the $185+ price that their website offered. Being polite, I told them that their own website quoted a very different price, so they went into their in store trade-in appraisal screen and came up with a quote of $145+ (agreeing that my phone was in mint condition). They showed me the printout they got from RS on the program and it does states that ALL 3G iphones, regardless of condition will be valued at a minimum of $100. but until I pressed the issue, they were not aware that my phone would appraise on their system at the higher $145+ value.

The difference in value is that the online web appraisal requires you to mail your existing iphone to RS and within "3-4 weeks" they will mail you back your gift card (stated as such if you proceed far enough into the online trade site). Certainly does NOT make any sense in the case of a phone used daily. The in-store trade value is instant.

We checked the in store value for a 16GB 3GS it is also about $40 bucks lower than the on line trade-in quote.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I see your 2M and move it to the first weekend and raise you to 3M in the first full week (assuming there are no shortages which pretty much gives me an out ).

With AT&T allowing most 3GS buyers to get the iPhone 4 at the Upgrade Eligible price it's a no brainer for many. I've even coached people on how to make money on getting this next iPhone for "free" in two weeks.

Please tell us you tips & tricks.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

3GS upgrade at reduced price at launch? Can you double check that? Did not think that was true until at least next year for 3GS owners? Or is there something for mega-users(heavy users, multiple phones etc)

So instead of having to wait until next year, any contract that will be eligible for a maximum new phone discount by the end of 2010 can get that maximum discount now.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

3GS upgrade at reduced price at launch? Can you double check that? Did not think that was true until at least next year for 3GS owners? Or is there something for mega-users(heavy users, multiple phones etc)

It appears if your contract Upgrade Eligible date wass anytime in 2010 AT&T would let you buy the iPhone 4 come June 24th at the Upgrade Eligibile price, not at the Ugrade Early price which is an additional 200 more.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Please tell us you tips & tricks.

Sell my 3GS on eBay or Craig's LIst or through the Radio Shack buyback program called cexchange, which makes it seem less than legit. Since I have some pricey accessories that won't work with the new iPhone I'll be selling via Craig's List for an asking price of $400 and accepting $350.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #22 of 44
I called my local rat shack and they said since the iPhone 4 announcement trade in values have changed. The new values are $100 for any size/condition 3G and $200 for any size condition 3GS. Please update the post
post #23 of 44
The bottom line...trade-in value at RS is not set in concrete until the moment of the transaction. I just dropped back by my local store and we ran the in-store appraisal again and came up with $145 plus change on my 16GB mint 3G (same as yesterday). The guy did tell me that the value would likely drop to the $100 RS written minimum trade-in price on June 24. He added that while no guarantee, the value would also likely hold at or near the $145 figure up till the day of the iphone 4G release (ie June 24). At the very least, he recommended that if I wanted to trade mine in, I do so on June 23 and just do without my iphone for a day. I was also told that RS is going to require the purchase of a $50 gift card (ie no way to get cash back...have to spend in RS) with iphone 4 pre-orders taken between June 15 and the June 24 release. Of course assuming you DO purchase the iphone 4 you pre-order at RS, the full $50 gift card, plus the trade-in value apply towards the $199 price.

A quick check on Craigslist would seem to indicate that the current going price for a 16GB 3G iphone with minor scratches (ie unlike mine which is pristine due to being wrapped in a skin and a Speck ToughSkin jacket its entire life) is around $200-$250, but there is the hassle of messing with the sale and the real potential of its value dropping as the 24th rolls closer (assuming I wait until just before the 24th to put it up for sale).

I do have an older smartphone (Siemens SX-66) which I have verified works with the SIM from my iphone, so I could use that as my cell (ie no disruption in call service) in the interim.
post #24 of 44
Radioshack is getting 20,000 units. That will go really fast so get there early, especially if you live central or west coast. The east coast could eat them up pretty quick.
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisthis View Post

Radioshack is getting 20,000 units. That will go really fast so get there early, especially if you live central or west coast. The east coast could eat them up pretty quick.

Per store, otherwise that's like one unit per store? Those things are everywhere.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisthis View Post

Radioshack is getting 20,000 units. That will go really fast so get there early, especially if you live central or west coast. The east coast could eat them up pretty quick.

Per store for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Per store, otherwise that's like one unit per store? Those things are everywhere.

Yes. With 4,000 stores that would be 5 per store which is not likely. So it's probably several million committed just for Radio Shack. My guess is Apple's been building and warehousing, in all 5 launch countries, these phones for the past month and there are probably going to be more than 10 million in the USA on launch day.

A million iPhones would be 250 per Radio Shack store which is hardly enough for the weekend - more like the first few hours. So there is probably a commitment of several million units just for Radio Shack.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Per store for sure.Yes. With 4,000 stores that would be 5 per store which is not likely. So it's probably 800,000 units to a million committed just for Radio Shack. My guess is Apple's been building and warehousing, in all 5 launch countries, these phones for the past month and there are probably going to be about 10 million in the USA on launch day.

Perhaps you or someone else has better figures, but between Apple Store, AT&T, Radio Shack, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart I count about 11,000 retail locations that could be selling the iPhone come the 24th.

I was going to wait in line but I think I'll just have it shipped to me, providing that is till offered.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #28 of 44
There can be no question that Apple is better prepared for this launch than the previous 3. I suspect that there is flexibility in the number of units RS will get on launch day. Just the fact that you have to make a reservation to come in on Tuesday to pre-order gives RS and Apple both an early estimate of interest as well as the actual number of units that RS will need to avoid a nightmare on launch day. It also allows RS to allocate among its stores based on those reservations for reservations confirmed by the actual number that pre-order starting Tuesday. If RS is swamped by pre-orders then it is likely that they might well exhaust their launch allocation at some point between the start of pre-orders and the release on the 24th, but If launch day inventory was as constrained as previous launches, Apple would not be rolling out to BB, Walmart and RS till later in the cycle. Remember that RS is in the business of repeat customers and given the PREMIUM halo effect of the iPhone, I don't see them blowing this opportunity. The simple fact that Apple is allowing RS to participate in the pre-launch, which at this point does NOT include BB, Walmart or AT&T, (at least not yet announced) indicates that Apple is giving RS preferential treatment, which translates into inventory.
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtidmore View Post

The bottom line...trade-in value at RS is not set in concrete until the moment of the transaction. I just dropped back by my local store and we ran the in-store appraisal again and came up with $145 plus change on my 16GB mint 3G (same as yesterday). The guy did tell me that the value would likely drop to the $100 RS written minimum trade-in price on June 24. He added that while no guarantee, the value would also likely hold at or near the $145 figure up till the day of the iphone 4G release (ie June 24). At the very least, he recommended that if I wanted to trade mine in, I do so on June 23 and just do without my iphone for a day. I was also told that RS is going to require the purchase of a $50 gift card (ie no way to get cash back...have to spend in RS) with iphone 4 pre-orders taken between June 15 and the June 24 release. Of course assuming you DO purchase the iphone 4 you pre-order at RS, the full $50 gift card, plus the trade-in value apply towards the $199 price.

A quick check on Craigslist would seem to indicate that the current going price for a 16GB 3G iphone with minor scratches (ie unlike mine which is pristine due to being wrapped in a skin and a Speck ToughSkin jacket its entire life) is around $200-$250, but there is the hassle of messing with the sale and the real potential of its value dropping as the 24th rolls closer (assuming I wait until just before the 24th to put it up for sale).

I do have an older smartphone (Siemens SX-66) which I have verified works with the SIM from my iphone, so I could use that as my cell (ie no disruption in call service) in the interim.

Friday, 11 June: Told 1.) 3G Perfect Condition worth $100. 2.) Told to be there at 7am on the 15th to pre-order and that they would be placing their order before 10am.

Sunday, 13 June: Told 1.) Same 3G worth $150. 2.) Told to come in anytime as they would not be placing their order until late in the day, but was told that earlier was better.

Who to believe?
post #30 of 44
Well I decided to put mine with a new battery on there and so far after 2 hours nothing. I guess Northern CA isn't as hot for iPhones as they are in Miami. I read a recent post about this on MacRumors that a guy there was able to get $425 for his 32GB 3GS there on Craig's list 15 minutes after he posted it. We'll see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtidmore View Post

The bottom line...trade-in value at RS is not set in concrete until the moment of the transaction. I just dropped back by my local store and we ran the in-store appraisal again and came up with $145 plus change on my 16GB mint 3G (same as yesterday). The guy did tell me that the value would likely drop to the $100 RS written minimum trade-in price on June 24. He added that while no guarantee, the value would also likely hold at or near the $145 figure up till the day of the iphone 4G release (ie June 24). At the very least, he recommended that if I wanted to trade mine in, I do so on June 23 and just do without my iphone for a day. I was also told that RS is going to require the purchase of a $50 gift card (ie no way to get cash back...have to spend in RS) with iphone 4 pre-orders taken between June 15 and the June 24 release. Of course assuming you DO purchase the iphone 4 you pre-order at RS, the full $50 gift card, plus the trade-in value apply towards the $199 price.

A quick check on Craigslist would seem to indicate that the current going price for a 16GB 3G iphone with minor scratches (ie unlike mine which is pristine due to being wrapped in a skin and a Speck ToughSkin jacket its entire life) is around $200-$250, but there is the hassle of messing with the sale and the real potential of its value dropping as the 24th rolls closer (assuming I wait until just before the 24th to put it up for sale).

I do have an older smartphone (Siemens SX-66) which I have verified works with the SIM from my iphone, so I could use that as my cell (ie no disruption in call service) in the interim.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Per store for sure.Yes. With 4,000 stores that would be 5 per store which is not likely. So it's probably several million committed just for Radio Shack. My guess is Apple's been building and warehousing, in all 5 launch countries, these phones for the past month and there are probably going to be more than 10 million in the USA on launch day.

A million iPhones would be 250 per Radio Shack store which is hardly enough for the weekend - more like the first few hours. So there is probably a commitment of several million units just for Radio Shack.



It's 20K for Radioshack as a company and I just got news from my DMM that Apple is nott letting RS or BB do preorders at all.

We were going to open at 6AM tomorrow for Preorders and have been telling people that all week only to have the rug ripped out from under us. It is looking like RS is get 20K units for launch date with some stores not getting any. The allotment will be based on past iPhone performance. Bad news for me!

Also employees are ineligible to purchase the phone (but not their wives!!)
post #32 of 44
APPLE is not allowing RS or BB to preorded the phones as of about 30mins ago.

We were going to open at 6AM tomorrow for Preorders and have been telling people that all week only to have the rug ripped out from under us. It is looking like RS is get 20K units for launch date with some stores not getting any. The allotment will be based on past iPhone performance. Bad news for me!

Also employees are ineligible to purchase the phone (but not their wives!!)
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisthis View Post



It's 20K for Radioshack as a company and I just got news from my DMM that Apple is nott letting RS or BB do preorders at all.

We were going to open at 6AM tomorrow for Preorders and have been telling people that all week only to have the rug ripped out from under us. It is looking like RS is get 20K units for launch date with some stores not getting any. The allotment will be based on past iPhone performance. Bad news for me!

Also employees are ineligible to purchase the phone (but not their wives!!)

I just called my store and they say pre-orders are still on. So you are mis-informed. No way is the chain only getting 20k iPhones. No frikin' way in hell. It has to be at least a million just to give each store 250 which would last a couple of hours.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #34 of 44
Last year I bought a 3GS with the Early upgrade pricing (not the full discount)When I do *639# I get
"you may select equipment at our full price" So I called up at&T and they told me to call an official at&t store (there systems currently do not have iPhone eligibly info). The guy at the store looked up my account. He said you account shows that you can not get any discount. but said that every current AT&T iPhone customer will get the full or partial discount. He said they they would have to override mine in the in the system when I come pre order. I told him I wanted to go to Rat Shack since they have the trade in program. He said hes not sure if it would work there since an AT&T manger needs to type in a code to override, but told me to call the radio shack that I was going to buy it from to see if they could do it. I called them and they said they have the same systems as at&t but can only authorize what it tells them. They do not know that every current AT&T iPhone customer gets a discount, but said to come on down and they might be able to call at&t up and do it.
So as usual getting the new phone will be a pain in the a**
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I see your 2M and move it to the first weekend and raise you to 3M in the first full week (assuming there are no shortages which pretty much gives me an out ).

With AT&T allowing most 3GS buyers to get the iPhone 4 at the Upgrade Eligible price it's a no brainer for many. I've even coached people on how to make money on getting this next iPhone for "free" in two weeks.

Care to share your coaching tip on how to make money on getting this next iPhone for "free" in two weeks?
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorne View Post

Care to share your coaching tip on how to make money on getting this next iPhone for "free" in two weeks?

Be Upgrade Eligible and sell your current one. If you have accessories be sure you clean them up, put back in the original packaging and advertise them as a package, too, since they likely won't work with the new iPhone. Nothing sneaky or underhanded.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #37 of 44
Are there any trade-offs by purchasing the phone from RS vs. Apple direct? If I run into a problem, can I take an RS purchased iPhone to the Apple store, etc.?
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorne View Post

Are there any trade-offs by purchasing the phone from RS vs. Apple direct? If I run into a problem, can I take an RS purchased iPhone to the Apple store, etc.?

There are tradeoffs, but none when it comes to the warranty and service of the device itself. You can still call Apple or take it to any Apple Store for service and support.

The potential benefit being there are over 4000 Radio Shacks that may not be bombarded with buyers though we no idea what their stock will be like. They also have a buyback program (link below) that may save quite a bit of money off a new iPhone. They are also rumoured to be selling it for $5 cheaper than Apple is.

http://radioshack.cexchange.com/ (the site is real, not a hoax)
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #39 of 44
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/h...-the-iphone-4/

Engadget says the whole third party pre-order thing is falling apart.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #40 of 44
Store Open - Punch Line Is White Unavailable For Pre-Order Nor In-Store Pickup. So if you want a White iPhone 4, we have to sit on the sideline while all the Black iPhone orders go first.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Radio Shack to accept pre-orders for iPhone 4 alongside Apple