or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Native iPad app library passes 10,000 milestone

Native iPad app library passes 10,000 milestone - Page 4

post #121 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I generally have it turned down 50%. I then turn the readers down another 30% or so. I find it to be much brighter than needed, except outdoors, where I do turn it up more.

At least on my iPhone, 30% is great Indoors, all the way to the left if lights out for a movie. Outdoors, 100% usually doesn't seem enough. Direct sunlight is just way too much to compete against, the difference between 50% and 100% isn't much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Could Google put something together?

Apple does have a web-facing page for each app/song/etc they sell, except maybe their books. Google indexes those just fine.
post #122 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah I am going to take his advice on that. I am going to be in the mall today and my Apple store is fairly large so hopefully they should have some in stock. I was looking at it online and it looks like the perfect solution.

I made some minor mods.
post #123 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

At least on my iPhone, 30% is great Indoors, all the way to the left if lights out for a movie. Outdoors, 100% usually doesn't seem enough. Direct sunlight is just way too much to compete against, the difference between 50% and 100% isn't much.

I don't use it in direct sunlight. I shade it, and then it's readable. Until displays get brighter than direct sunlight at the display's surface, this will continue to be a problem.

Admittedly, this is the one area in which an E-ink screen is useful.
post #124 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I don't think this is a case where examples are necessary. It's simply a frustrating experience, at least for some number of people, searching for things in the store.

But there is too much emphasis on top lists, and the current category setup is just to simplistic for 200K+ items, and search not good enough to have any confidence that you've found all the possibilities of what you're looking for, or too many results to wade through.

So the answer is no.
post #125 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

So the answer is no.

No, the answer is that the App store categories are ridiculously overcrowded and insufficient. That "Top" lists aren't really that useful, and the search doesn't really work that well. Sorry to disappoint you by not trotting out examples for you on your demand. They really aren't necessary, the problems with the store are pretty obvious.
post #126 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, the answer is that the App store categories are ridiculously overcrowded and insufficient. That "Top" lists aren't really that useful, and the search doesn't really work that well. Sorry to disappoint you by not trotting out examples for you on your demand. They really aren't necessary, the problems with the store are pretty obvious.

What makes you think that the App store is any different than the Library of Congress or the National Library of Medicine? Two of the largest libraries in the world and like any library, book store, movie/music catalog or TV guide, I defy anybody to tell me what is the best book, movie, record or tv program.

Certainly, I wouldn't rely on a single source to guide me as I wouldn't do in purchasing Apps. I have half a dozen review sites bookmarked, but in many cases, some of my best leads have come from a colleague, friend, business associate or another iPhone/iPad developer.

In addition, I even take some advice from a few posters here. Unfortunately, most of the commentators don't even have an iPhone or iPad, won't pay for anything over a buck and voice opinions on something they haven't seen let alone touched.

There is only one way that anybody can ascertain how good or bad an App is and that is to try it.

Some may distain the fart app, but who is god that can tell half the grade school 'boys' that it is crap? Right now my most used Apps are the TomTom/Car Kit and Dragon Dictation. One cost me nearly $200 and the other is free. But I wouldn't leave the house without them or having Flashlight installed. You may snicker, but as I told my wife and our nieces it is good for finding a keyhole in the dark but you never know when you might need to send a distress signal whether on campus, home or abroad.

Like many, I have a few hundred Apps I draw from. There a some I will never install again. But I don't begrudge anybody who would.

As the adage goes, the more choices one has the harder it make a decision. The App store may be crowded and some may be totally useless in everybody's mind. However, it is a far cry from the millions of absurd applications that have been developed for the PC.
post #127 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

What makes you think that the App store is any different than the Library of Congress ...

A store isn't supposed to be the Library of Congress. With 200K+ apps there should be subcategories of every category and subcategories of some of those categories, and maybe further subcategories. It should be explorable without being overwhelming. You should be able to browse around and find things you didn't even know you needed, especially for a device like an iPhone. Things that you've never heard of or thought about our even know what they are until you stumble upon them and wonder how you ever lived without them.

The App Store is none of those things. The apps are great, the store itself, not so much. Apple has some work yet to do there. It's not up to the standards I expect of them.
post #128 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

... My wife and I both have the new EVO ...

Not to throw too much water on your fun, but we'll be interested to hear if you experience any of these problems:

Quote:
HTC Evo 4G Issues Pile Up: Glass Screen Separation, Unresponsiveness Reported

... many users are seeing issues with the Evos screen, including glass separation, as well as trouble with responsiveness (which also affects its sister phone, the Droid Incredible) ...

... serious issues registering inputs. While not everyone is experiencing the issue ...

... HTC and Sprint may have to initiate a hardware recall to fix the issues....

... terrible battery life, something MobileCrunch calls a deal breaker for the device ...

http://www.nytimes.com/external/vent...par-36032.html
post #129 of 130
How to convert almost any kind of DVD to iPad?
post #130 of 130
The powerhouse that is Oprah with steve jobs?? http://www.mysmartrend.com/news-brie...-staffers-aapl watch out
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Native iPad app library passes 10,000 milestone