or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new iOS 4 Game Center goes live for developers

Apple's new iOS 4 Game Center goes live for developers

post #1 of 27
Apple's Game Center in iOS 4 is now enabling user logins for the first time since the company began distributing the app with developer builds of the next OS for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

Game Center is Apple's new social gaming network for the iOS platform, which allows users to login to an account, invite friends to play games, find other users to join into multiplayer games, track achievements within games, and compare scores in leader board listings.

In addition to the new Game Center app, iOS 4 includes a series of GameKit APIs for developers that enable them to add Game Center support to their apps.

Game Center prevents app developers from having to roll their own account, matchmaking, and leader board systems for each game, and provides a consistent experience for gamers, similar to Sony's PlayStation Network on the PS3 and PSP, Microsoft's Xbox Live, and Valve's Steam for Mac and PC users.

Logging into Game Center

The beta Game Center app only recently began responding to login attempts. Users now report being able to login via their existing Apple ID / iTunes accounts. Game Center also offers to set up a new account (below).

Once logged in, the user is prompted to agree to Terms of Service that are currently not available for review in the developer build. Users then create a nickname, and can enable "Allow Game Invites" and the option to allow other users to "Find Me By Email." Users can specify multiple email addresses.

The Me homescreen lists the current user's number of friends, games played, and achievements won, and provides a way to set a status message.

The Friends page allows users to lookup other users on the network and send friend requests by email.

Apple said it expects to have Game Center finalized toward the fall, likely in conjunction with the iOS 4.x update that addresses iPad.
post #2 of 27
I have been able to login since Beta 1
post #3 of 27
It's interesting that game center was not discussed in WWDC (at least wasn't on the stream I watched). Wonder why? Seems like a great new feature.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #4 of 27
this is going to be HUGE.

meanwhile Google stock is taking a beating. Estimates also shrinking.

"Now Everyone's Cutting Their Google Estimates -- No Wonder The Stock Has Tanked"

http://www.businessinsider.com/now-e...tanking-2010-6

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...tes-shrinking/

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...e-price-target
post #5 of 27
What would make this even bigger is if the iOS really does come to the AppleTV!
post #6 of 27
If Nintendo isn't concerned - they should be!
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

this is going to be HUGE.

meanwhile Google stock is taking a beating. Estimates also shrinking.

"Now Everyone's Cutting Their Google Estimates -- No Wonder The Stock Has Tanked"

http://www.businessinsider.com/now-e...tanking-2010-6

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...tes-shrinking/

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...e-price-target

Dude, I blogged weeks ago that the internet ad business had plateaued and that Apple was ready to strike on that a**. Google is a one trick pony that throws out ad money to play. They haven't got what Apple does. Under one roof Apple has the engineers in all disciplines to create everything from the ground up!!!!! They are one of the baddest tech firms on earth. Google is done kid. Done!!!
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Dude, I blogged weeks ago that the internet ad business had plateaued and that Apple was ready to strike on that a**. Google is a one trick pony that throws out ad money to play. They haven't got what Apple does. Under one roof Apple has the engineers in all disciplines to create everything from the ground up!!!!! They are one of the baddest tech firms on earth. Google is done kid. Done!!!

I agree.

The honeymoon's over Google!
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Google will still live on through web ads but Apple completely screwed them and eliminated any chance for significant growth. Because of what Apple has done, every other OS maker will follow suit and sell their own in-app ads. This is not even including that other carriers might follow AT&T and start using data caps and hurt Google's chances even more of trying to push everything into the cloud.
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Google will still live on through web ads but Apple completely screwed them and eliminated any chance for significant growth. Because of what Apple has done, every other OS maker will follow suit and sell their own in-app ads. This is not even including that other carriers might follow AT&T and start using data caps and hurt Google's chances even more of trying to push everything into the cloud.

the data cap will also force users to disable ads to reduce bandwidth consumption.

bad news for Apple's iAd, but a DISASTER for Google since ads is Google's main bread and butter.
post #11 of 27
I must admit that I really don't 'get' what Game Center is all about.

I would have liked to see some Gaming APIs so developers can have on-screen controls that instantly switch to a cross-vendor accessory, like a D-Pad when attached.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #12 of 27
As already said, I've been able to log in and pick my name since beta 1.
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

It's interesting that game center was not discussed in WWDC (at least wasn't on the stream I watched). Wonder why? Seems like a great new feature.

Over 100 new features, they picked Steve's 8 favorite.
post #14 of 27
Quote:

the data cap will also force users to disable ads to reduce bandwidth consumption.

bad news for Apple's iAd, but a DISASTER for Google since ads is Google's main bread and butter.

1) How would the user disable ads in an iOS app?

2) I'm not sure it's a big deal. The iAd is a small banner. I assume that only when you click the iAd to enter the complex interactive mode as demoed by Jobs does the rest of it start to load.
post #15 of 27
The interface looks very un-Apple, IMO. They could've done better job on that.
You can commit no mistake and still lose. That's not a weakness. That's life.
You can commit no mistake and still lose. That's not a weakness. That's life.
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I must admit that I really don't 'get' what Game Center is all about.

I would have liked to see some Gaming APIs so developers can have on-screen controls that instantly switch to a cross-vendor accessory, like a D-Pad when attached.

Actually game center is brilliant. It is following the model of the successful XBOX live model. It creates the ability to use social networking to find and make friends online in the gaming community. You have a college friend in another city, you open up the center, find him and send an invite.
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) How would the user disable ads in an iOS app?

2) I'm not sure it's a big deal. The iAd is a small banner. I assume that only when you click the iAd to enter the complex interactive mode as demoed by Jobs does the rest of it start to load.

i was talking about ads in general.

yeah you're right.
post #18 of 27
I agree with the earlier comment that the UI is ugly and needs some work. The slider in one of the screenshots looks particularly out of place. And I'm not quite sure what's going on with the funny Dalmatian background.
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Actually game center is brilliant. It is following the model of the successful XBOX live model. It creates the ability to use social networking to find and make friends online in the gaming community. You have a college friend in another city, you open up the center, find him and send an invite.

I wonder if developers can/will start using it for other non-gaming purposes -- quick and dirty in-app social networking, that sort of thing. It's not immediately obvious what form that would take, but...
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I wonder if developers can/will start using it for other non-gaming purposes -- quick and dirty in-app social networking, that sort of thing. It's not immediately obvious what form that would take, but...

They will ... just like we use GameKit as a communication device between two iphones.
post #21 of 27
Quote:

i was talking about ads in general.

Gotcha!
post #22 of 27
What I find amazing is that Apple is finally (after many decades) becoming serious about gaming. Granted, this isn't all the support that some devs would want, but I am glad to see some work to bring games permanently to the iPhone/iPad ecosystem. Now if they would do the same network for the Mac...
NW '98
"Everything works, in theory..."
NW '98
"Everything works, in theory..."
post #23 of 27
I don't think Google is "done for" by a long shot -- but I suppose that in-Application ads are going to take a huge chunk out of their ad Revenue.

Every game, every "free app" is going to use this because they gave away the thing as a loss leader and they don't want to lose the Eyeballs to an information consolidator like Google.

Really, as much as I love Google for search -- it's unsustainable for a "free internet" in its current form because advertisements and content providers cannot compete with infinite and FREE on their content and endorsements.

I'm happy that newspapers may see a new home with micro-payments on an iTunes subscription -- I'm happy to pay for NEWS that is for the customer - not the advertiser (which means; buyer beware, right?).

>> Does anyone think that Steve Jobs already had the iAds concept up his sleeve when he decided to become buddies with Google? AFAIK -- Google really did fire the first shot across the bow by developing a phone, which maybe they will regret in a year or two.
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Over 100 new features, they picked Steve's 8 favorite.

I like how they slipped in the google calendar sync. I've been playing with it for a few weeks, and I just now noticed it in the settings. Over the air syncing for the calendar to Google's calendar. Something I've wanted to see for a long time.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
post #25 of 27
So far Appleinsider is my only friend.

If anyone wants to add me, I'm "Oh No"
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

>> Does anyone think that Steve Jobs already had the iAds concept up his sleeve when he decided to become buddies with Google? AFAIK -- Google really did fire the first shot across the bow by developing a phone, which maybe they will regret in a year or two.

Not really. They were two moves that started this fight (I believe):

1. Android
2. Nexus One

I think Apple felt betrayed by Google with Android similar to MS in the 80s. Some may say that Android was created to fend off WM and that may be true. I think at that time they started developing iAds which is why patents showed up last year for an ad-distribution model from Apple.

The Nexus One is what had initiated the HTC lawsuit. Google was putting their own name behind the hardware, selling it themselves & updating the OS with multitouch. All of this prompted an unusually personal letter from Apple depicting themselves as being betrayed. They never went after Palm like this but I suspect they could have.

I'm willing to bet that once Apple got wind of the N1 & multitouch, the war was really on. Google tried to block the sale of Admob to Apple and Jobs seemed to indicate there was dirty about this acquisition. They went on to by Quattro and this is where we're at.

Google is now shut out of Apple's ad business making the $750 purchase of AdMob useless and soon every other OS maker will have the same rule as Apple. If Google can't move apps to the cloud they run they chance of being MS; the stock becomes stagnant and people will start to sell. They are already rumors that Larry and Sergey have been doing this very quietly. If you look at Google's stock performance over the last 6 months it has taken a nosedive.
post #27 of 27
So I am comic book nerd I am proud to say and a gamer...so of course I had to post this as soon as possible for both comics and gaming has again combined! I am not sure which comic book this game is from, but it looks awesome. It has an Advanced Dual Stick Shooter but the graphics look good, from what I can make out, however I don't know for sure since it is so hard to make out the characters in the ? video.Heres the link if you guys want to check it out too. http://rememberodessa.com/blog
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new iOS 4 Game Center goes live for developers