or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple releases redesigned Mac mini with HDMI port starting at $699

Apple releases redesigned Mac mini with HDMI port starting at $699

post #1 of 379
It looks like the Mac Mini has been updated.
Check out the Apple Store

SD slot in the back
HDMI output
Slim design

looks really nice
nothing here, move along...
post #2 of 379
Redesigned Alu enclosure, HDMI, etc. etc. sexiness
http://www.apple.com/macmini/
post #3 of 379
I was about to post this aswell. I am surprised this isn't on Appleinsider yet
post #4 of 379
Yeah it looks pretty sweet. Looks like you were wrong about it's death Kasper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #5 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Yeah it looks pretty sweet. Looks like you were wrong about it's death Kasper.

iMac pages are not accessable either....something must be happening there.
post #6 of 379
Looks awesome.

Lots of people were worried about lack of Macs, Mac focus at WWDC.

And so begins Apple's response...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #7 of 379
I wonder if this means the end for the AppleTV? It seems to have been removed from both Apple's main website and their online store.

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

post #8 of 379
The perfect mac for the post-PC era. Many people will plug it into their TV, use it occasionally and just go for iPads and iPhone as primaries.
post #9 of 379
The AppleTV seems to have been removed from the online store and the main website!

post #10 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

The AppleTV seems to have been removed from the online store and the main website!

No longer needed, hardware-wise. What about the interfacing?

---

Stores are down everywhere... I hope we have an interesting evening ahead of us (it's 7pm where I live). Buckle your seat belts.

post #11 of 379
Never really considered a Mac Mini till now. This looks seriously shit hot.
post #12 of 379
If buying a LCD monitor to connect to the mini, what is the maximum size of lcd monitor the mini can take ? (24" or 27")

Thanks
post #13 of 379
Apple on Tuesday updated its Mac mini desktop computer, adding an HDMI port for easy connectivity to an HDTV, as well as a built-in SD card slot for grabbing photos and videos from a digital camera.

The newly redesigned hardware is just 7.7 inches square and 1.4 inches thin. It also has a built-in power supply, which means it lacks a bulky external power brick, which Apple said means the tiny desktop Mac takes up even less space than before, with 20 percent less system volume than the previous model.

"The sleek, aluminum Mac mini packs great features, versatility and value into an elegant, amazingly compact design," said Philip Schiller, Apples senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With twice the graphics performance, HDMI support and industry-leading energy efficiency, customers are going to love the new Mac mini."

The new Mac mini includes the Nvidia GeForce 320M graphics processor, which delivers up to twice the performance of its predecessor. It also comes standard with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 320GB hard drive, and 2GB of RAM at the $699 starting price.

In March, AppleInsider first reported that Apple was building its first Macs with an HDMI port for high definition video and audio output. HDMI, or High-Definition Multimedia Interface, is a cabling standard intended for home theater, built on top of the computer-oriented DVI, or Digital Video Interface, specification.

Weeks ago, AppleInsider revealed that supply of the Mac mini was dwindling ahead of the release of new models.

Availability

Shipping today, the Mac mini is available through the Apple store, retail stores, and authorized retailers. The $699 model includes:

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB of shared L2 cache;
2GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, expandable up to 8GB;
a slot-load 8X SuperDrive® (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) optical drive;
320GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm;
NVIDIA GeForce 320M integrated graphics;
AirPort Extreme® 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;
Gigabit Ethernet;
four USB 2.0 ports;
SD card slot;
one FireWire® 800 port;
one HDMI port and one Mini DisplayPort;
HDMI to DVI video adapter;
combined optical digital audio input/audio line in (minijack); and
combined optical digital audio output/headphone out (minijack).

Build-to-order options and accessories include up to 8GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB hard drive running at 5400 rpm, Apple Remote, Aperture 3, Final Cut Express 4, Logic Express, iWork (pre-installed), Apple Wireless Keyboard, Magic Mouse, Apple 24 inch LED Cinema Display and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

The Mac mini with Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server, for a suggested retail price of $999 (US), includes:

2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB of shared L2 cache;
4GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, expandable up to 8GB;
two 500GB Serial ATA hard drives running at 7200 rpm;
NVIDIA GeForce 320M integrated graphics;
AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;
Gigabit Ethernet;
four USB 2.0 ports;
SD card slot;
one FireWire 800 port;
one HDMI port and one Mini DisplayPort;
HDMI to DVI video adapter;
combined optical digital audio input/audio line in (minijack); and
combined optical digital audio output/headphone out (minijack).

Build-to-order options and accessories include up to 8GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, External SuperDrive, Apple Wireless Keyboard, Magic Mouse, Apple 24 inch LED Cinema Display and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

Environmental impact

Even with its doubled graphics performance, Apple said the new Mac mini is still the world's most energy efficient desktop, based on products listed within the EPA Energy Star Small Scale Server database as of June 2010.

The new hardware uses 25 percent less power to less than 10W at idle, which is less than half the power used by competing systems. It also meets Energy Star 5.0 requirements, achieves EPEAT Gold status, has a highly recyclable aluminum enclosure, and uses PVC-free components and cables with no brominated flame retardants.

Included software

The new Mac mini comes with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard operating system, and iLife, Apple's suite of applications for managing photos, making movies and creating and learning to play music. The $999 high-end model includes Snow Leopard Server, and allows a workgroup or small business to fulfill needs such as e-mail, calendar, file serving, Time Machine backup, Wiki Server, podcast production and more.

post #14 of 379
Way too expensive for what is supposed to be an entry level Mac. Think I'll pass.
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
post #15 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_khoo View Post

If buying a LCD monitor to connect to the mini, what is the maximum size of lcd monitor the mini can take ? (24" or 27")

Thanks

It's not the size of the monitor, it's the resolution.

The spec page shows the resolutions it will support
post #16 of 379
Dunno if the price in dollars has increaded or not, but for us Brits this supposedly entry level Mac is now VERY expensive.

No sale for me, shame because it looks really nice.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #17 of 379
It's beautiful, and clearly a better design and computer than what it replaces.

Sadly, because of this it has turned from an entry level computer into a new line of more boutique Apple Macs. At least the RAM is accessible now.

The price markup in the UK (after VAT is removed) is 17%, compared to a usual 6-7% markup for Apple goods. (Mac Mini is £649, without VAT is £552, which is $815 after conversion).

For the additional price, Apple should throw in some software, like iWork, to sweeten the deal.
post #18 of 379
Does anyone proof read these things before they are posted?

"4.4 inches thin" try "1.4 inches thin"
post #19 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Way too expensive for what is supposed to be an entry level Mac. Think I'll pass.

If you think it's expensive, don't buy one. That simple. Go ahead and buy your POS cheap box which has a 40% failure rate out of the box and which requires you to talk to someone in Swahili to get support.

Meanwhile, here in the real world, the Mini server is a super value. Please look up the cost of Windows server with unlimited client licenses. Heck, the software alone is considerably more expensive than the Mac Mini server.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #20 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

at the $699 starting price.

Here in Portugal it starts at 799 = $980.
In the UK it starts at £649 = $956

I think they didn't convert the price right...
post #21 of 379
HDMI, but still no Blu-ray drive?

C'mon, Apple - now you're just being needlessly stubborn. Add it as a goddam option and get it over with.
post #22 of 379
Nice upgrade, but the price increase is very disappointing. Maybe I can find a new previous generation Mac Mini discounted.
post #23 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If you think it's expensive, don't buy one. That simple. Go ahead and buy your POS cheap box which has a 40% failure rate out of the box and which requires you to talk to someone in Swahili to get support.

Meanwhile, here in the real world, the Mini server is a super value. Please look up the cost of Windows server with unlimited client licenses. Heck, the software alone is considerably more expensive than the Mac Mini server.

It is expensive for what is in the box. And no, I won't buy one - I don't have more money than sense. For your information, I'm waiting on the new Mac Pros. I wouldn't touch a Windows machine with a barge pole. I hate Microsoft and everything they stand for.

But I refuse to lay down money on a machine, whatever make, if the bang for you buck ratio is skewed too far towards the buck, and not the bang. I get that the superior software is part of the value. That's not the argument.

You look at the comments over at Macrumors and you'll see that many many posters agree that this price point is ridiculous.
post #24 of 379
Some things to note:
  • Same footprint as AppleTV
  • it includes an HDMI-to-DVI adapter, which is uncommon from Apple these days
  • No IR port
  • The case is milled aluminium and looks like the bottom aluminium is part of it, not a cap. (Surely this is the least necessary of their milling efforts which tells me that they have learned to reduce the costs greatly. I hope other vendors learn to do this.)
  • The Power Adapter is 85W, just like the 17" MBP. Which means that Apple could offer an adpter that will allow 24" LED Cinema Display users to drop the extra power cable.
  • Easy to access RAM! (But only 2GB as default)
  • Still no evidence of new FrontRow or included BackRow software to make it a decent HTPC, which tells me this is just an expensive option for an A4 and iOS powered TV coming soon.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #25 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

HDMI, but still no Blu-ray drive?

C'mon, Apple - now you're just being needlessly stubborn. Add it as a goddam option and get it over with.

I can't imagine many would pay for the Blu-ray drive that would fit into that machine.
post #26 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

[*]No IR port

isn't there a IR port hidden at the right side of the optical-drive slot? i think there is.
post #27 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruisantus View Post

isn't there a IR port hidden at the right side of the optical-drive slot? i think there is.

That's the paperclip accessible release for the ODD. Note the Tech Specs list no IR port.
post #28 of 379
Quote:

Some things to note:
  • No IR port
  • The case is milled aluminium and looks like the bottom aluminium is part of it, not a cap. (Surely this is the least necessary of their milling efforts which tells me that they have learned to reduce the costs greatly. I hope other vendors learn to do this.)
  • The Power Adapter is 85W, just like the 17" MBP. Which means that Apple could offer an adpter that will allow 24" LED Cinema Display users to drop the extra power cable.
  • Still no evidence of new FrontRow or included BackRow software to make it a decent HTPC, which tells me this is just an expensive option for an A4 and iOS powered TV coming soon.

No IR port? What a way to convince someone to shell out the money for one. Maybe can't convince enough people to buy the Apple TV, so those that opted for a mini for the same task are given spite?

What got me to try Apple was the $499 model back when the mini was introduced, I don't think $699 would have done the trick.
post #29 of 379
Hear hear
post #30 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or buy a non-cheap semi-decent Dell/HP/etc that's still cheaper, twice as fast with discrete graphics... Dell sell a small form factor quad-core Inspiron 560s with 4GB, 750GB for £500, or 6GB, 1TB, HD5450 for £560. Comes with a limited version of Excel and Word too (see my comment above about including iWork in the price to sweeten the deal).

Of course it doesn't come with Mac OS X, and it doesn't look as nice - but it's a far easier sell. Apart from the stupid Dell online ordering system that take forever to click through billions of options, some of which appear twice!
post #31 of 379
i wish it had a better CPU. i would buy one today if i could get a quad core option. oh well....
post #32 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

No IR port? What a way to convince someone to shell out the money for one.

It does have an IR port. The Apple Remote is a BTO option, and the little IR window is clearly visible on the server version (it's hidden just inside the right side of the optical slot on the standard version). It must be a misprint that the specs page doesn't mention it.
post #33 of 379
Quote:

That's the paperclip accessible release for the ODD. Note the Tech Specs list no IR port.

You can order the Apple Remote with it, I don't think they'd do that if it didn't have an IR port... Besides, they market this as an HTPC... of course it'll have one

That being said, this is such poor value compared to the MacBook... or anything else from Apple's product line for that matter. And it's not like Apple's product line has an amazing specs/price ratio to begin with.
post #34 of 379
Since Apple seems to have abandoned the AppleTV to its fate I thought about it. But then again, in Switzerland the MacMini costs 1'000 USD (999.00 CHF to be precise). So I'll pass. The AppleTV costs one third of that.
And there is an iPhone 4 to be purchased this time around. Maybe towards the end of the year... In the hope that the autumn iPod event brings some news about the AppleTV (there's still hope, i guess).
post #35 of 379
Quote:

Some things to note:
  • No IR port

Where did you get those specs?

- The IR port is integrated at the edge of the OD slot. Even the server model has a dot on the front for IR.
- There is no external power adapter.

Edit: many others pointed out the IR port earlier.
Edit2: The remote control itself is listed as an accessory: http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html
post #36 of 379
A bit too expensive IMHO. I think the target market for this would rather purchase a cheap PC for half the price even if it's less reliable and doesn't pack the software goodies of a mac.

And why did Apple put an aluminum unibody design on this thing? It makes sense on a laptop but I don't see the advantage on an entry level desktop. I would rather see a more affordable material like plastic and save $.
post #37 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Where did you get those specs?

- The IR port is integrated at the edge of the OD slot. Even the server model has a dot on the front for IR.
- There is no external power adapter.

Edit: many others pointed out the IR port earlier.

Good point! The Mac Mini is AC-in, the magsafe of the Cinema Display is DC-out. Besides you'de be attaching a PSU to another PSU...
post #38 of 379
Quote:

Does no IR port mean no remote!? That would be awfully silly? (Unless there is some type of bluetooth based remote).
post #39 of 379
This is both a pro and a potential con. The internal power supply in a cramped space without adequate ventilation was what killed Time Capsules prematurely. My TC suffered just such an unfortunate fate. Thankfully Apple replaced mine.

The larger fan on the redesigned Mini does appear better than what was supplied with the TC, but I hope there has been sufficient attention to overheating problems in this refresh ... although the bottom cover (made of rubber?) does look suspiciously similar to the TC in terms of impeding ventilation.
post #40 of 379
Quote:

I can't imagine many would pay for the Blu-ray drive that would fit into that machine.

It's one Blu-ray drive away from replacing a lot of people's BD living room component and consolidating all that crap into a single box. Remember that it ships with a CD-R and DVD-R, which, while relatively inexpensive these days, can be credited towards the cost of a universal BD drive that leaves out all the burning capabilities for living room use.

Unfortunately the $700 starting price is already a steep climb for a dedicated media computer.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple releases redesigned Mac mini with HDMI port starting at $699