or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple releases redesigned Mac mini with HDMI port starting at $699

Apple releases redesigned Mac mini with HDMI port starting at $699 - Page 6

post #201 of 379
Looks good, but $100 more than than what the low end was previously is a bit much. At $499 it would be worth it. It is just $200 too much. Especially when I can buy a MacBook for $999 and get a keyboard and mouse (err trackpad). Apple's too greedy on the Mac Mini.
post #202 of 379
This computer's rubber bottom makes me moist.

Very nicely done all around, but I agree on the price. Just a little too high. I was considering a Mini about a month ago and heard new ones were expected. I waited and meanwhile another round of pay cuts is on the way at work. New Mini plus a higher price with less pay means no Mini for me.

Configured the way i want it is $1599. Ouchy.
post #203 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Then why buy a Mini in the first place then? I see coflicting arguments. Also, at least according to some here, every product other than Apple is sheer crap. If that's the sentiment, then yes, a buyer (lets say first time) would have to buy the whole Apple arrangement to get the full "asthetic."

No one ever made the argument. Isn't it funny how the Mac-bashers have to make things up?

What I said (and others have echoed) is that if you buy a similar system with similar quality, it's going to cost about as much as the Apple product. That is an implicit statement that there ARE other quality systems out there.

It's just that the high quality systems tend not to be the ones on the $9.99 special rack at Walmart.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #204 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

T... My DVD player was removed to make room for a mini. And there is no room for a standalone BRD player. ...

In all fairness, this alone puts you in a very very small group of users with a very specific problem that is 100% dependent on this unusual choice.

The mini is a small multi-purpose computer, it's not going to be specced to one single use (adjunct to the TV in the living room), and even given that use, it's not going to fit every user.

The average user would have multiple optical slots in the living room gear already.
The average user considering such a use for the mini, would also have a blue-ray player already.
post #205 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

... I think setting the entry point for Mac ownership at $700, without even including the monitor, keyboard, and mouse, is one such mistake ...

I know you're talking desktops here, but from another perspective, ...

The entry point for ownership of *Apple* gear is $29.00 for an iPhone 3G.

In terms of enticing the great unwashed towards Apple's platforms, I think there are sufficiently low entry price points with the mobile gear. Maybe knowing this, Apple just isn't prepared to eat the margins on the mini anymore, because they don't have to.
post #206 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Far away from perfect. Have you used it? I have been using it for last years daily with my family. I find it far away from prefect comparing to recently found XBMC or Boxeee. I could open list of flaws in design apprach to Apple TV not to mention its casual problems with content. Only rental works erelatively okay (excapt glitches when it can give you only 24 hours to play rented movie even though you have not started it yet... or some rented movies given FULL YEAR to watch which happened to me - both cases).

My point was mostly that the mac mini was not *only* intended for that living room purpose that many of the posters to this thread use it for. I don't use it, (cause I have many better things to do with my time than hack a mini into a consumer electronics device), but know lots that do.

The last time the mini was updated, we had endless postings from the living-room mini crowd about how "If it only had Blu-Ray and HDMI out it would be perfect." (or words to that effect).

Now the next model comes out and it has HDMI, so everyone is saying "If only it had Blu-Ray it would be perfect."

That's all I meant.

Personally, if it needs endless setup and updates (it does) such a setup would never be "perfect" in my personal world. I like AppleTV, and I think it's better than using a mini. That's just me though.
post #207 of 379
Woohoo, my wish has been answered. At last I can now buy a new mac to replace my G4. Why didn't I notice that when I check UK apple store for the new iPhone 4 pre-order?

[u] wait, just realised it still uses Core 2 Duo processor. What? I wish it has i5 or at least i3 CPU.... Come'on eh!
post #208 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

And the HDMI explicitly supports audio output as mentioned in the spec page, but interestingly I don't believe it mentions the mini-DisplayPort supporting audio out even though that has been introduced in the MacBook Pros.

Commander Data, that is the exact same thing I've been trying to find out. HDMI doesn't obviate the need for audio over the mini-DP connector. No luck so far figuring this out (and the two mini-DP to HDMI connectors I've bought so far don't have audio support so I can't go to the local Apple Store to test it). Then again, I don't think the updated MBPs spec'ed that out either when they were released, even though it works (with the right cable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Since Walmart is now an Apple reseller - they will be offering this handsome piece of kit for 164USD less than retail price!

They'll get the same ability to offer a few percent discount that the big box stores do. Go look at their iPod prices if you don't believe me.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #209 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

In all fairness, this alone puts you in a very very small group of users with a very specific problem that is 100% dependent on this unusual choice.

The mini is a small multi-purpose computer, it's not going to be specced to one single use (adjunct to the TV in the living room), and even given that use, it's not going to fit every user.

The average user would have multiple optical slots in the living room gear already.
The average user considering such a use for the mini, would also have a blue-ray player already.

The point was that not eveyone is willing/able to continue adding more and more boxes to their TV. Cable boxes, DVD/BR players, dedicated boxes for Amazon and/or netflix boxes, etc. And my post was in response to another post about using a mini as a blu-ray player connected to a TV, not as simply a multi-pupose computer.

Other than playing Apple purchased/rented content, both the Apple TV and mini aren't very useful as home theater devices for the average user (ie, those not techy enough to rip their DVDs). TiVos, TVs, and other devices are already integrating online content such as movie renting, etc. It's increasingly more common for TVs to have this built in. So what value do Apple's devices (as home theater devices) really add? Apple needs to add something to the features to make it more worthwhile in this role. Blu-ray would be one option for doing that.
post #210 of 379
I'm wondering how difficult the hard drive remove/replace is going to be. 5400 rpm is too slow for use as a computer (though I'm sure it's fine for a media center)...

post #211 of 379
Quote:

Personally, if it needs endless setup and updates (it does) such a setup would never be "perfect" in my personal world. I like AppleTV, and I think it's better than using a mini. That's just me though.

Fair enough. The Apple TV meets your needs. Personally, I find it too limiting. It can't play my current media (ie, DVDs) and can only play files in Apple's very limited video spec restrictions. And it all has to be in iTunes. FrontRow on a mini can play DVDs (ripped or physical) and any QuickTime compatible format. Just dump the files in your Movies folder. Pretty much everything it can do are things that are now coming built-in to many TVs (outside of playing iTunes DRM'd movies, but then just get them from Amazon instead).

As for the mini requiring endless setup and updates. I'll respectfully disagree. Unless you are hacking FrontRow or installing Boxee or some other HTPC front-end (which will be unnecessary for most people), it runs just fine out-of-the-box.

But if all you want is access to your iTunes content, yes, AppleTV is probably all you need.
post #212 of 379
IMAGINE THIS:

this new Mac Mini with best specs hooked up to a new Sony LED 3D Glossy Flat Screen TV 30"-50", Best Sony Wireless Surround Sound system, PS3/XBOX, Apple TV, Sky + HD, Gaming Seat, Wireless Trackpad, Wireless Keyboard, Wireless Mouse, 2-5TB External HD, Time Machine, and some how connect a cam to all this, Apple really going for the Entertainment Market now...
post #213 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If you think it's expensive, don't buy one. That simple. Go ahead and buy your POS cheap box which has a 40% failure rate out of the box and which requires you to talk to someone in Swahili to get support.

Meanwhile, here in the real world, the Mini server is a super value. Please look up the cost of Windows server with unlimited client licenses. Heck, the software alone is considerably more expensive than the Mac Mini server.

Mobius probably builds his PC rigs like I do. Gaming performance on macs sucks in comparison. Although Valve giving macs steam support recently was very much awesome.
post #214 of 379
STILL needs Blu-Ray to justify a $100 increase, plus needs 7200 RPM drives STANDARD, or at least an OPTION for the base model!

My guess is they will FINALLY add Blu-Ray around Sept/Oct when a new iLife w/Blu-Ray burning features gets released... Or maybe never LOL.
post #215 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

STILL needs Blu-Ray to justify a $100 increase, plus needs 7200 RPM drives STANDARD, or at least an OPTION for the base model!

My guess is they will FINALLY add Blu-Ray around Sept/Oct when a new iLife w/Blu-Ray burning features gets released... Or maybe never LOL.

I'm betting that this thing will sell like hotcakes despite the price increase. Blu-ray still has licensing and DRM issues that Jobs doesn't like, and we all know what happens when Jobs doesn't like something.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #216 of 379
USB3, BLUETOOTH 3.0, BLUE RAY, all should be added within 2010-11 period...

i forgot printers and cameras, to the earlier post!
post #217 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I'm wondering how difficult the hard drive remove/replace is going to be. 5400 rpm is too slow for use as a computer (though I'm sure it's fine for a media center)...

Actually as hard drive density has scaled as high as it has, 5400rpm hard drives are much more feasible than they used to be. Yes, a 7200rpm would be nicer for the OS drive, but my guess is heat limitations kept them using 5400 rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTM1983 View Post

USB3, BLUETOOTH 3.0, BLUE RAY, all should be added within 2010-11 period...

No E in Blu Ray. I wouldn't expect to see USB3 on a Mac until Intel starts supporting it directly, which means sometime next year at the earliest.
post #218 of 379
Quote:

What part of 'Mini' don't you get? The desktop Macs are iMacs and Mac Pros.

Let's go through the process:

Apple evaluates all the options out there. They could build a computer in a cardboard box. They could build the legendary midi-Mac. They could build a Mini with BD. They could build a Mac Pro with 8 six-core processors. And so on.

Now, based on their 30 years of experience and best marketing skills in the industry, they have chosen a product range. This range was selected as being their evaluation of what would yield them the greatest profits by satisfying the largest number of customers. They've demonstrated an uncanny ability to do this - at least based on results over the last 5 years or so.

They don't offer the specific item you want - whether it's BD or larger box or more RAM or cheaper price or whatever. Too bad. It's not going to happen. Obviously, Apple thinks that the number of people wanting (and willing to pay for ) what you are requesting is not large enough to make it worthwhile. Until you can demonstrate that your abilities to succeed in this industry are greater than Apple's, JUST STOP THE WHINING.

http://www.lyricsdomain.com/18/rolli..._you_want.html

I couldn't agree more ... well said! The sad part is your well thought out answer will fall on deaf ears. Let's face it ... the vast majority of the whiners who populate these boards whine just for the sake of complaining. If Apple came out tomorrow with their "dream computer" at a price point lower than any of the competition .... they'd start posting how, at such a low price, it can't possibly be any good. With these people Apple can never win. \
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #219 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

Apple has actually made the mini more expensive than the iMac, for what you get.

Isn't that almost always the case when comparing desktop-grade components to notebook-grade?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #220 of 379
Quote:

The entry point for ownership of *Apple* gear is $29.00 for an iPhone 3G.

29+two years of contract
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #221 of 379
OK, why is the SD slot in the rear (aside from interior layout considerations)? I have a Belkin Mini-sized USB hub that puts a USB and FW400 in the front so it's easy as pie to connect the occasional peripheral. I've got an SD adapter that fits there. To have no front-facing SD slot is worse than no Blu ray Drive, which I really don't need or want to spend the big bux for.

Too bad Apple couldn't have juiced up the processor and provided an SSD BtoO as options.

I got an early 2009 Mini and it's working great. I'll pass on this upgrade.
post #222 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Mobius probably builds his PC rigs like I do. Gaming performance on macs sucks in comparison. Although Valve giving macs steam support recently was very much awesome.

There's nothing wrong with that. What IS foolish is comparing the cost of a home built PC (and 99 times out of a 100, the builder forgets to add in all their costs like shipping, tax, operating system and other software, labor, etc) which has no warranty, takes up your time, and may or may not have components that work well together) to a fully integrated system from the company with the best reliability and support in the business. I really couldn't care less if you can build this system for $200 less (although I'll bet you it's not the same system since it will certainly be much larger, bulkier, and less reliable or attractive). For the target audience, that's a completely useless data point.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #223 of 379
Definitely my next HTPC.

Oh wait, it doesn't have blu-ray. Oh well.
post #224 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

What is it with Apple and blu-ray? This really is getting rather tragic now. I wish they'd just grow up and bury whatever hatchet is stopping them adopting BD.

I don't think it's Apple and Blu-Ray. It's Apple and moving parts.
post #225 of 379
Quote:

No one ever made the argument. Isn't it funny how the Mac-bashers have to make things up?

What I said (and others have echoed) is that if you buy a similar system with similar quality, it's going to cost about as much as the Apple product. That is an implicit statement that there ARE other quality systems out there.

It's just that the high quality systems tend not to be the ones on the $9.99 special rack at Walmart.

No, but what is funny is that you label me a Mac-basher for no legitimate reason (and there is none, I am very fond of various Apple products, critical of others)... and that I wasn't even refering/replying to you at all in my previous posts.
post #226 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Fair enough. The Apple TV meets your needs. Personally, I find it too limiting. It can't play my current media (ie, DVDs) and can only play files in Apple's very limited video spec restrictions. And it all has to be in iTunes. FrontRow on a mini can play DVDs (ripped or physical) and any QuickTime compatible format. Just dump the files in your Movies folder. Pretty much everything it can do are things that are now coming built-in to many TVs (outside of playing iTunes DRM'd movies, but then just get them from Amazon instead).

As for the mini requiring endless setup and updates. I'll respectfully disagree. Unless you are hacking FrontRow or installing Boxee or some other HTPC front-end (which will be unnecessary for most people), it runs just fine out-of-the-box.

But if all you want is access to your iTunes content, yes, AppleTV is probably all you need.

It's hardly difficult to hack an Apple TV so it'll play any file you want.
post #227 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stmac View Post

This is both a pro and a potential con. The internal power supply in a cramped space without adequate ventilation was what killed Time Capsules prematurely. My TC suffered just such an unfortunate fate. Thankfully Apple replaced mine.

The larger fan on the redesigned Mini does appear better than what was supplied with the TC, but I hope there has been sufficient attention to overheating problems in this refresh ... although the bottom cover (made of rubber?) does look suspiciously similar to the TC in terms of impeding ventilation.

That was my first thought too...the potential problems due to heat. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I hope for the best.
post #228 of 379
Awesome, so this is the new Apple TV. (never mind rumors that apple tv is gone are false, its still on the site) OF course they jack up the prices!!! PIssing me offf.

Anyways, love the fact that mini is alive, hate the fact that it seems like apple does not want to sell these things by hiking the price during a recession (all other models got some $ off recently).

Additionally: Just went over the site, no apple remote, which is strage since it has HDMI and is pushed as a TV connected device (and $100 extra). Love the removable door and the size.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #229 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Actually as hard drive density has scaled as high as it has, 5400rpm hard drives are much more feasible than they used to be. Yes, a 7200rpm would be nicer for the OS drive, but my guess is heat limitations kept them using 5400 rpm.

But the mini Server now comes with two 500GB 7200 drives... http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC438LL/A

post #230 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I hate it when marketing does that. I don't need someone to tell me that it's thin. The dimension tells me that.

That tells me that the writing is thin, but you don't need me to tell you that.
post #231 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Awesome, so this is the new Apple TV.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that assessment. This is just a Mac using the TV footprint and having an HDMI port. It still doesn't have the SW or the price point that make it a viable media extender appliance.
post #232 of 379
Just out of curiosity:

How will the Mini server software be upgraded without another Mac with an optical drive or an external optical drive? Do you think that's why there is an SD slot in the Mini?

USB 3 peripherals are emerging. Why do you think the new Mini doesn't have a USB 3 port?

Why do you think the new Mini doesn't have an eSata port?
ADS
ADS
post #233 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

The EASY user installed ram is huge.

Are *both* RAM slots easily accessible or just one? Remember the original iMac G4 which had 1 easily accessible RAM slot and required a total tear-apart to access the other slot? And how about the hard drive?
post #234 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Are *both* RAM slots easily accessible or just one? And how about the hard drive?

I think both are, you just open the door and ram is right there. There is a pic on the  site.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #235 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

But the mini Server now comes with two 500GB 7200 drives... http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC438LL/A

In that case it's just another way for Apple to differentiate the product and let you know that if you want the faster hard drives you'll have to pony up. The difference between a 5400rpm and a 7200rpm in a server being hit by multiple users at once would probably be more pronounced than the difference of 5400 vs 7200 for a single desktop user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

How will the Mini server software be upgraded without another Mac with an optical drive or an external optical drive? Do you think that's why there is an SD slot in the Mini?

USB 3 peripherals are emerging. Why do you think the new Mini doesn't have a USB 3 port?

I would say that 1)Internet downloads, usb key or SD card, 2)USB3 will be on an Apple product when Intel starts supporting it themselves next year and 3)b/c Apple probably views eSata as a "Pro" option unneeded on the Mini.
post #236 of 379
Quote:

Just out of curiosity:

They can do it the same way Macbook Air does it (http://www.apple.com/macbookair/features.html)

Quote:

Too early still, not very many devices use it. Perhaps next model. Don't really like the lack of USB 3.0 as well.

Quote:

Agreed. Especially the server model should have one for faster backups.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #237 of 379
Quote:

How will the Mini server software be upgraded without another Mac with an optical drive or an external optical drive?

If you bought one of these as a server, you most likely also have a client machine available which has an optical drive. Otherwise you'll need to buy/borrow an external drive for re-installs. In the future Apple might offer the OS on a memory card, but probably charge extra for the media.

Quote:

My understanding is that Intel doesn't yet support it in their chipset, which is something Apple is waiting for (and not just for the Mini).

Quote:

eSATA is one of those geeky technologies that Apple obviously hasn't embraced. The cables and connectors are pretty spartan and peripherals still need another cable for power. (As an aside, I think it's absolutely stupid that the internal SATA connector and the external eSATA connecter are incompatible; they should be the same base design with an optional retaining lock added to the external version. But it's too late to change that one.)

I agree that the server version should have included eSATA - perhaps as a replacement for the server-irrelevent HDMI port. When/if USB3 arrives eSATA will become less important since USB3 will more closely match it in terms of performance. I have the previous version of the Mini server and instead pried to top off and removed one of the two internal hard disks. I then connected a SATA cable from that port to an external Other World RAID-5 array, and it works beautifully. The only downside is the overall aesthetics (which I can live with) since the Mini case is now propped up from the base to accommodate the SATA cable. (It also helps with the cooling, although that's not too much of an issue for that machine.)
post #238 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

If you bought one of these as a server, you most likely also have a client machine available which has an optical drive. Otherwise you'll need to buy/borrow an external drive for re-installs. In the future Apple might offer the OS on a memory card, but probably charge extra for the media.

Remote Disc sharing works surprisingly well. You can even boot from a remote disc using it, but it slow as one would imagine.

What I don't completely get is Apple being stingy about $12 in NAND to offer the Restore Disc on USB or SD for the two premium products that don't have an included ODD. Surely the cost saved by not including the ODD far outweighs the cost of 16GB of cheap, slow NAND that could still be faster than an ODD.
post #239 of 379
I want it. Disappointed with the price increase, but I'd love to have a Mini as my living room media server. Unfortunately, I have to prioritize my expenses this year. My daughter moves in with me this Summer and starts secondary school in the fall. So my large expenditure priorities are... daughter's bedroom (~$500)>Piano ($1300)>iPad ($700)>daughter's MacBook Pro ($1200)>Mini ($800). I think I won't get the MacBook until Christmas and I won't get the Mini until Springtime...
post #240 of 379
Quote:

It's not racist to state that support for most computer vendors is overseas - and many of them speak very poor English (yes, there are exceptions).

Apple uses "overseas" support centres as well, I got one when I rang about my iMac failing, it wasn't a very nice experience, the language wasn't the issue, it was Apple providing them incorrect information. My Dell has never failed, so I can't comment about their support centres.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple releases redesigned Mac mini with HDMI port starting at $699