or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple releases redesigned Mac mini with HDMI port starting at $699
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases redesigned Mac mini with HDMI port starting at $699 - Page 8

post #281 of 379
http://store.apple.com/us $ 699
http://store.apple.com/de Eur 809

? Wait a minute. WTF?
post #282 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by gescom View Post

http://store.apple.com/us $ 699
http://store.apple.com/de Eur 809

? Wait a minute. WTF?

WTF is right. Apple's international pricing has always been stupid at best. I am sure by the time they release it in India it will be close to 1000USD. The rest of the desktop and laptop manufacturers don't have this disconnect with US pricing.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
post #283 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by gescom View Post

http://store.apple.com/us $ 699
http://store.apple.com/de Eur 809

? Wait a minute. WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

WTF is right. Apple's international pricing has always been stupid at best. I am sure by the time they release it in India it will be close to 1000USD. The rest of the desktop and laptop manufacturers don't have this disconnect with US pricing.

I love how you people just grab the sale price, maybe to a conversion to same currency, but then don't factor a single thing into the additional charges one country might impose over another. No Eco 101 these days?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #284 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Of course you want to end the discussion because clearly you don't have a clue what I am talking about. If you did then you could put up a solid debate, which clearly you can't.

There are many tier 2 and tier 3 vendors that have far better reliability then Apple. At a lower cost.

Apple in 2008 and 2009 still scored the highest with a 9.2, 16% of their hardware needed repairs on average. Companies like Asus had an 8.8 rating, hardly a bad rating. Asus while getting a lower score then Apple had only an 6% product repair, Sony was right next to Apple with 18%. Toshiba had a 13% repair ratio.

So blind loyality to Apple doesn't equal better numbers. They just simply have a cult like following.

You can't use repair ratios to determine reliability of disparate product categories.

Look at it this way, people who are buying a $400 computer are less likely to have it repaired than someone who dropped $2000 on a computer. Between Apple and other vendors Apple makes it easy to get a repair completed for free and easily so I'm very quick to recommend to users or myself to call up Apple and send my Mac in if needed or go to an Apple Store.

If you have to spend money to ship it to the vendor and the turn around in 6 weeks (I wish that were only hyperbole) then you are less likely to send it in.

On top of that, better products with a longer life cycle are more likely need repair (which include routine maintenance under the guise of repair) than one whose useful life cycle is short, like when you have a $400 notebook v. $2k notebook.

A sub category of the last point is the usage factor within a set timeframe which may be increased. I see more people with iPhones than any other phone yet I know "other" phones exist on the market. People tend to find them more useful for more things so they are using them more than the dumb phones sitting in pockets or purses.

Sure, we're talking about PCs not mobile phones, but I've seen the same trend with PC-to-Mac switchers. The "I don't use my computer much" and "i only check my email and look up stuff on the internet" argument tends to dissolve rather quickly after someone gets their first Mac. I think this also holds true for being a good PC over a cheap PC.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #285 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Why You Should Buy This System?
- AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core 250 2.90GHz (Socket AM3) offers multitasking performance.
- 250GB Seagate Barracuda hard drive gives a solid and reliable storage capacity.
- 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 RAM allows for snappy and precise processes to be made.
- HIS ATI Radeon HD 4850 iCooler IV 1024MB GDDR3 offers superb gaming performance.

From Overclockers.co.uk

£429.99 inc VAT (minus the OS. Pick your flavour...of Windows...)

Note the inclusion of a 'cheap ass' card that Apple only deems worthy of inclusion on a 'high end' iMac.

And there's '6 core' systems for less than a grand and not much more than a mini.

Yeah. And some people complain about 'anything.' Anything. Apple could have thrown in a Radeon 4850, 2 gigs more ram and a quad core cpu and still made a profit over the old mini price of less than 400.

But they won't/don't because they're greedy.

Lemon Bon Bon.

That is a nice machine, actually. 1333mhz RAM, and the 4850 1GB can handle all the latest games at almost-highest settings with about 2x or 4x antialiasing at 1920x1080p. Everything else being kept equal, bump the 250 to 320GB of hard disk and drop in a ATI 5850 1GB and you've got a solid gaming beast.

But don't expect a powerful GPU from Apple. Gaming on the Mac? Well, at least Valve is trying. But the Source engine is pretty efficient and not as demanding as the newer titles.

I shan't say more because apparently my recent post history shows I'm anti-Apple now. Apparently, Lemon, you've become *more* anti-Apple. I understand your frustration. I find it a bit weird, but I'm leaning towards understanding more of what you and extremeskater are saying even though 1 year ago I would have argued against it.

BUT THOSE DAMNED PC CASES ARE SO BLOODY UGLY... GEEZ. Also, no great new games that tickle my fancy, not after the epic that was Mass Effect 2 I finished a few months ago.
post #286 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You're also making the same mistake. You're assuming that all Hitachi hard drives are created equal and that all Samsung memory is created equal. And that all video cards with the same GPU are identical.

That isn't even close to being true. For example, some time ago, there was a problem with third party memory used in Macs. Even when the memory allegedly met the same specs, it didn't work - because Apple used tighter tolerances. Same thing with capacitors a decade before. It is absolutely insane to think that you can state that two systems are identical simply because they both use DDR3 RAM, Core 2 Duo processor and Nvidia graphics.

Bottom line is that, your alleged experience aside, Macs have far greater reliability and customer satisfaction than anything from Dell - or any other vendor, for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Are you kidding me? Show me anything that would defend the arguement that Apple somehow gets some magical supply of Hitachi hard drives or Samsung memory.

As for video cards while ATI and Nvidia supply the chipset many of the vendors create the entire card around the chipset.

I am not making a mistake about anything I have been building my own computers since I was 19.

If you were talking about things like CPU codiing which gamers like myself often pick for better overclocking then you would have a point but things like Samsung memory is nothing more then Samsung memory.

Apple would have to use at least a difference in CAS Latency for better performance which they don't because I have tested it.

You say I am making a mistake, when I talk about CPU coding like a C1 compared to an E0 or memory CL do you even know what I am talking about?

While I enjoy my Apple systems, with Apple you get what you get good or bad, when I build my own systems I get what I want.

Also in regards to GPU's Apple seems to have issues at times seeing the last two times they put out first gen iMacs they have to supply firmware updates due to GPU hangs. Which in both cases took several months to resolve.

The fairy tale of Apple getting better components has to end. Sure, it's sad when we learn there's no Santa Claus...
post #287 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Their lead is consigned to the OS and the design. That's it.

Those two minor areas... oh, wait¡

So is your recommendation that Apple use anti-competitive measures to keep other vendors from getting new components, who sell much less volume than Apple for a given moderate to high-end model?

I can't imagine what other alternative Apple has based on their current business model. They can't get a first batches of a new CPU like Dell and HP can and then advertise a brand new or update BTO model. They dominate the upper-teir of the market. That means they need to have sufficient product for their machines and they can't do that when Intel et al. haven't geared up production. The argument that Dell and HP sell a lot more product than Apple is irrelevant because almost all of them are with old tech that is high volume.

Are you in the camp that Apple should have gone with Core-i3 and Intel HD in all their current C2D models?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #288 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I love how you people just grab the sale price, maybe to a conversion to same currency, but then don't factor a single thing into the additional charges one country might impose over another. No Eco 101 these days?

You mean like the fact that a number of countries have good consumer protection laws and Apple must increase the price to cater for the additional costs that they must handle to repair items for free outside the normal warranty?
post #289 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

You mean like the fact that a number of countries have good consumer protection laws and Apple must increase the price to cater for the additional costs that they must handle to repair items for free outside the normal warranty?

MANY additional costs.
- As you've indicated, warranty costs are higher due to different laws
- VAT included
- Import duties
- Higher employee costs in most European countries
- Higher overhead costs due to taxes, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Skater has a point. 'Blind loyalty' to Apple because they do 'some' things well doesn't negate criticism of their desktop policy. Which is and has been crrrrrrrrrrrrrap for some time. Nicely designed boxes with underperforming parts.

The rest of their hardware in laptops and phones/pads is ok. But their desktop line up is retarded, as are the prices, as are the gpus, as are the vram amounts as are the prices (I said that once, yeah?)

You can go to overclockers and get a six core system for under a k. You just know that such a system from Apple is going to start at 2k for their 'pro' because, apparently, it's a 'wooooo' 'workstation'. (But without any of the workstation parts, yeah? Oh. The Xeon. A quad core. For 2k. Yeah. Bad ass workstation part...along with the bad ass consumer gpu and flacid penile ram.)

Apple. Like the iPhone 4. The laptops are decent.

The dekstops and the price hikes over the last year or so in recession smack of arrogance and greed.

Then don't friggin' buy one.

I'm glad you're happy buying bucket shop computers. It's not the same thing by ANY stretch of the imagination. I bet you'd say a Yugo is identical BMW because it has the same number of doors, seats the same number of people, and both have one steering wheel, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Of course you want to end the discussion because clearly you don't have a clue what I am talking about. If you did then you could put up a solid debate, which clearly you can't.

There are many tier 2 and tier 3 vendors that have far better reliability then Apple. At a lower cost.

Apple in 2008 and 2009 still scored the highest with a 9.2, 16% of their hardware needed repairs on average. Companies like Asus had an 8.8 rating, hardly a bad rating. Asus while getting a lower score then Apple had only an 6% product repair, Sony was right next to Apple with 18%. Toshiba had a 13% repair ratio.

So blind loyality to Apple doesn't equal better numbers. They just simply have a cult like following.

Not that mindless survey again.

1. It was done by a warranty company and has no validity outside their customer base.
2. If you had a problem with a $300 Asus netbook and a $2500 MacBook Pro, which one are you more likely to take the time to have repaired?

Asus' rating was so high because a huge percentage of their computers were so cheap that people throw them out if they're more than 6 months old and have a problem. It's really sad that people like you are still considering that to have any meaning at all.

Why not look at the surveys done by groups that actually measure REAL reliability?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #290 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by gescom View Post

http://store.apple.com/us $ 699
http://store.apple.com/de Eur 809

? Wait a minute. WTF?

US: Does not include sales tax.
EU: Includes VAT.
post #291 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

MANY additional costs.
- As you've indicated, warranty costs are higher due to different laws
- VAT included
- Import duties
- Higher employee costs in most European countries
- Higher overhead costs due to taxes, etc

Why do you guys go on and on about the VAT, people know this is included, why you you think still people complain about the price after taxes are taken off.

And why do you always concentrate on Europe when people complain about the price differences.

I don't live in Europe, and before sales taxes the mini is US$100 more expensive.

No import duties here for computers
Apple has no local sales staff at all here, yet the Mini costs the same from Apple as it does from a local reseller
And no additional taxes for Apple to handle, all their online sales are handled from a neighbouring country, they will pay taxes on importing the item, but as they are a business they are able to claim them back.

The shipping costs will be very minimal, so the only thing left for that US$100 is to protect themselves from product failure cases that can be claimed for 3-5 years after purchase.
post #292 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Apple has no local sales staff at all here

They have no local staff so that must mean they don't offer any warranty or have no warranty costs¡

I'm not surprised you never considered that they have to pay more for the warranty because they are outsourcing all repairs to a 3rd-party in a country that does very low volume compared to, say, that country you love to despise.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #293 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Of course you want to end the discussion because clearly you don't have a clue what I am talking about. If you did then you could put up a solid debate, which clearly you can't.

...

So blind loyality to Apple doesn't equal better numbers. They just simply have a cult like following.

Well, I see you're up to your old tricks again. Let's review:

1. You're always wrong.

2. You're not as smart as you think you are.

3. See 1.

Others having reduced your argument to a tiny heap of rubble, nothing more needs to be said.
post #294 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

... so the only thing left for that US$100 is to protect themselves from product failure cases that can be claimed for 3-5 years after purchase.

Well, that's entirely possible. AppleCare for the Mini is $149, which includes 2 additional years of hardware warranty, plus an addition 2.75 years of technical support. If local laws require specific hardware warranty policy then that has to be built into the price. Not sure why that would generate outrage or surprise.
post #295 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They have local staff so that must mean they don't offer any warranty¡

I'm not surprised you never considered that they have to pay more for warranty cost because they are outsourcing all repairs to a 3rd-party in a country that does very low volume compared to, say, that country you love to despise.

When have I brought France up? Or is this one of your usual tricks where you just make things up again?

Yes they out source the repairs, but that also means they are not doing them themselves, ie the cost goes from having to pay an Apple employee to do something, to paying someone else to do it, and the reason you outsource is because it has a benefit, usually financial.
post #296 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, that's entirely possible. AppleCare for the Mini is $149, which includes 2 additional years of hardware warranty, plus an addition 2.75 years of technical support. If local laws require specific hardware warranty policy then that has to be built into the price. Not sure why that would generate outrage or surprise.

I'm not suprised, and I'm not outraged, I was just asking why someone was generalising, and giving the same tired excuse for pricing differences.
post #297 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I'm not suprised, and I'm not outraged, I was just asking why someone was generalising, and giving the same tired excuse for pricing differences.

So are we all agreed now that it's not some evil plot by Apple to screw the rest of the world?
post #298 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So are we all agreed now that it's not some evil plot by Apple to screw the rest of the world?

Sorry, I can't speak for the rest of the world...

But I think the new Mac Mini is much better value for money than the 1.42GHz PPC one that I got when they first come out.
post #299 of 379
Quote:
Those two minor areas... oh, wait¡

Who said they were minor? Mr. Sulky face?

Oh, I see, you were being sarcastic because you didn't like me being critical of Apple's 'crap components' on the desktop.

Sorry, I forgot...we're not allowed to do free speech on here...unless its Soli's free speech and opnions that we are agreeing with...

*Nods...

Let's give it a try, shall we?

'The Mac Mini, with integrated craapics, sorry, 'great' graphics, and speed melting, up to date Core 2 Duo with a massive 2 gigs of ram and a speedy 7200rpm hard drive make this mini the best yet...despite being only slighly more expensive! The best, most competitive desktop you can get under a 1000K using only the very best components packed into a design smaller than a biscuit tin!'

I suppose if I try it with lubricant it will be easier to take...because it sure felt rough...saying it.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #300 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

MANY additional costs.
- As you've indicated, warranty costs are higher due to different laws
- VAT included
- Import duties
- Higher employee costs in most European countries
- Higher overhead costs due to taxes, etc



Then don't friggin' buy one.

I'm glad you're happy buying bucket shop computers. It's not the same thing by ANY stretch of the imagination. I bet you'd say a Yugo is identical BMW because it has the same number of doors, seats the same number of people, and both have one steering wheel, too.



Not that mindless survey again.

1. It was done by a warranty company and has no validity outside their customer base.
2. If you had a problem with a $300 Asus netbook and a $2500 MacBook Pro, which one are you more likely to take the time to have repaired?

Asus' rating was so high because a huge percentage of their computers were so cheap that people throw them out if they're more than 6 months old and have a problem. It's really sad that people like you are still considering that to have any meaning at all.

Why not look at the surveys done by groups that actually measure REAL reliability?

Heh. So overclockers sell 'bucket shop' computers? Re-hi-hee-heally?

S'funny, my mate's PC is still going almost 3 years later. Great case. 'Decent' OS.

'Friggin'?

Who said anything about me buying a mini? Do I look insane? 'Here's £650 for a cutting edge desktop...'

Don't answer that.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #301 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

US: Does not include sales tax.
EU: Includes VAT.

Are You sure?

store,apple.com/us
MBook $ 999 / MBP $ 1199 / iMac $ 1199
store,apple.com/de
MBook Eur 1015 / MBP Eur 1166 / iMac Eur 1115

sales tax / Vat / that goes just with a Mac mini? Bullshit.
post #302 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Damn you are getting as bad as mouse which is saying something. Well that isn't true at least you attempt to say something.

What I quoted isn't a survey they are actual stats taken each year on repairs and customer satisfaction which by the way you brought up. If your going to say Apple has the highest then clearly you must have looked at some stats didn't you?

Did you even read what I wrote? Or what that survey says?

It's a survey done by a third party warranty service and measures ONLY THEIR CUSTOMERS. Furthermore, it's a biased survey because it only reports on the number brought in for repair. If you have a 1 year old Asus netbook that was $300 new and is probably worth $50 today are you going to take it in for repair? Now, if you have a $3,000 MBP that is still worth over $2,000 and something breaks are you going to take it in? Obviously, the percentage of computers brought in for repair is NOT equal to the percentage of defects.

Go to Consumer Reports. Or PC World. Or PC Magazine. Or CNET. Or Fortune. Or any of the other dozens of magazines that do real surveys indicating the percentage of failures. The Mac is always at or near the top of the reliability list. Always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Heh. So overclockers sell 'bucket shop' computers? Re-hi-hee-heally?

S'funny, my mate's PC is still going almost 3 years later. Great case. 'Decent' OS.

Oooohhhh. 3 years. That must be a really fine computer.

Heck, the fact that you consider a 3 year old computer to be representative of quality proves my point as well as any thing.

And, yes, Overclockers is a bucket shop compared to Apple or Toshiba or any of the other quality vendors.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #303 of 379
Quote:
I can't imagine what other alternative Apple has based on their current business model. They can't get a first batches of a new CPU like Dell and HP can and then advertise a brand new or update BTO model. They dominate the upper-teir of the market. That means they need to have sufficient product for their machines and they can't do that when Intel et al. haven't geared up production. The argument that Dell and HP sell a lot more product than Apple is irrelevant because almost all of them are with old tech that is high volume.

Dunno. Strategy seems to be charge more with each update.

While offering 'old tech' that you claim their competitors use. So Apple doesn't?

What do you call the Core 2 duo in the mini and iMac? Old? New?

What do you call the GPU in the Mac 'pro' old? New?

Oh. The question. Are you suggesting that I suggest something that you agree with?

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #304 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That doesn't necessarily rule out the heat issue. It could be that the optical drive blocks air flow enough that the 7200 would be a problem. I don't know for sure, but I"m assuming that these use 2.5" disks, so it's plausible that the airflow around a second hard disk would be better than the airflow around an optical drive, allowing for faster drives in the server version.

Yep plus the first time someone pointed that out to me earlier in this thread I said it's also likely either an attempt by Apple to differentiate the server product further or else they figure the difference between 5400 and 7200 for a single user isn't a huge deal (which it isn't), but if it's acting as a server for 4 or 5 people hitting it simultaneously, the difference in speed would be more noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

But don't expect a powerful GPU from Apple. Gaming on the Mac? Well, at least Valve is trying. But the Source engine is pretty efficient and not as demanding as the newer titles.

BUT THOSE DAMNED PC CASES ARE SO BLOODY UGLY... GEEZ.

Reports are saying that several gaming companies are adding Mac divsions, so we could well see an increase in how many games released come to the Mac as well. It would be nice if Apple was ready for it.

As far as cases, yes a lot of them are ugly as hell. I like my NZXT Hush
http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/classic_series/hu001 . Padding and foam inside to help absorb noise and keep things quiet, it has the one blue LED in front, but that's it. No case window with several other LEDs showing off the inside of the case or anything. We actually ordered 2 of them when we built mine and moved my wife's HP system into it since she needed a new power supply for the vcard I was buying her and it wouldn't fit in the HP case.


Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you in the camp that Apple should have gone with Core-i3 and Intel HD in all their current C2D models?

Speaking for myself, I would like to have seen Apple move away from c2d and IGPs, but the i3 isn't really an improvement over the c2d, especially if it means losing the Nvidia igp and using an Intel one. i5 and discrete GPUs are what should be aimed for as minimums, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

US: Does not include sales tax.
EU: Includes VAT.

Here in Kentucky sales tax is just 6%, so that still only makes $740.94. All these systems are being shipped from China, we know increased shipping prices aren't the cause of the price difference.
post #305 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by gescom View Post

http://store.apple.com/us $ 699
http://store.apple.com/de Eur 809

? Wait a minute. WTF?

Does the German version include VAT?

The US one doesn't include sales tax in the advertised price, it's added at the time the sale is completed. (Sales tax is almost never included in a US advertised price. Partly because each state sets is own sales tax and some states don't have a sales tax at all, choosing to take our money in other ways.)

If you have a problem with the VAT vs no sales tax pricing, take that up with your government, not Apple. That VAT percentage you guys pay is just plain whacked!

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #306 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Does the German version include VAT?

The US one doesn't include sales tax in the advertised price, it's added at the time the sale is completed. (Sales tax is almost never included in a US advertised price. Partly because each state sets is own sales tax and some states don't have a sales tax at all, choosing to take our money in other ways.)

If you have a problem with the VAT vs no sales tax pricing, take that up with your government, not Apple. That VAT percentage you guys pay is just plain whacked!

Ok, again:

store,apple.com/us
MBook $ 999 / MBP $ 1199 / iMac $ 1199
store,apple.com/de
MBook Eur 1015 / MBP Eur 1166 / iMac Eur 1115

and there we go with a new Mac mini :

http://store.apple.com/us $ 699
http://store.apple.com/de Eur 809

See the difference? No? Forget it.
post #307 of 379
Ok, it has HDMI. But where does it say, that this Mac can playback iTunes HD Content. So far, Macs were not allowed to. Only AppleTV.
post #308 of 379
The bottom line is, Apple originally created the mini to be a "cheap" Mac that would draw in buyers who would otherwise not look at a Mac for a desktop computer. It no longer serves that purpose. It's not cheap enough.
post #309 of 379
Does anyone use the Mac mini to play EVE-Online? How well does the game play on the Mac? Does it look as nice on an HDTV as it does on a computer monitor?
post #310 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by gescom View Post

Ok, again:

store,apple.com/us
MBook $ 999 / MBP $ 1199 / iMac $ 1199
store,apple.com/de
MBook Eur 1015 / MBP Eur 1166 / iMac Eur 1115

and there we go with a new Mac mini :

http://store.apple.com/us $ 699
http://store.apple.com/de Eur 809

See the difference? No? Forget it.

It looks like we are getting ripped off for the MacBook, MBP, and iMac here in the US! LOL!

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #311 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by gescom View Post

Ok, again:

store,apple.com/us
MBook $ 999 / MBP $ 1199 / iMac $ 1199
store,apple.com/de
MBook Eur 1015 / MBP Eur 1166 / iMac Eur 1115

and there we go with a new Mac mini :

http://store.apple.com/us $ 699
http://store.apple.com/de Eur 809

See the difference? No? Forget it.

Have you considered the economy at the time of release?
post #312 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I love how you people just grab the sale price, maybe to a conversion to same currency, but then don't factor a single thing into the additional charges one country might impose over another. No Eco 101 these days?

We certainly are factoring in the additional costs. You do need to realize that all computer manufactures including Alienware have a base in India. No one has a price tag that is as skewed as Apple when you compare it with the US prices.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
post #313 of 379
haha I'm lucky I live in a place where most Apple products are cheaper than they are in the US... or anywhere else in the world, for that matter...

And iPhones are unlocked, too.

But we still haven't got iPads.

New Mac Mini - HK$5588, HK$7988 --> US$721, US$1031 NO TAXES.

Pretty much the only places you can get Apple products cheaper are those five states with no sales tax.
post #314 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Have you considered the economy at the time of release?

Actually I was even thinking about Apple related butterfly effect on the Mac mini release day. We are Your friends.
post #315 of 379
.....
post #316 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walney View Post

Sorry, but you just have to accept that we do get gouged. $699 equates to £472 at current exchange rate. There is no import duty on computer equipment from the US, and the UK price (excluding tax) is £552, so we are sucking up an extra $118 (again, excluding taxes) compared to US price.

Even if we accept that it's more expensive doing business in the UK/Europe, the $100 increase from the old model got translated into an extra $164 at this end excluding taxes... and because we then get stiffed for the VAT, that extra $64 then becomes an extra $75 on the bottom line - that's why we get a bit p*ssed

EDIT: ... no import duty from China either

It's not so much gouging as Apple being horrible at supply chain management. The extra $ isn't being taken by Apple, it's wasted along the way.

I remember reading an article last year that layed it out. It suggested that for many non-U.S. countries, Apple couldn't even tell you how their products get there. They subcontract it out, pay a fee, slap the fee on that country's price and are done with it. Pathetic really.
post #317 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

It looks like we are getting ripped off for the MacBook, MBP, and iMac here in the US! LOL!

Well the Euro is 1.2x the value of the dollar, so 1000 Euros is $1200. So no, not really
post #318 of 379
Dismal fail.

The problems with this machine were that it was underpowered and too expensive. It was already smaller than it needed to be. So what does apple do? They "fix" the one thing that wasn't broken, keep lousy specs, and raise the price? Could the company be any more tone deaf to what consumers want when it comes to this model?

Seriously, they went to the trouble of a redesign and put all the effort into size, still at the expense of performance and high cost? I'd almost say apple went out of their way to try and get people to NOT buy this model and go with an iMac instead, but then they wouldn't have bothered to redesign. Just amazing how clueless the company is when it comes to desktops.
post #319 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

2. If you had a problem with a $300 Asus netbook and a $2500 MacBook Pro, which one are you more likely to take the time to have repaired?

Personally I would take both in for repair, if I had paid for both and either one had failed I would want it repaired, after all I did pay for a working computer
post #320 of 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Oooohhhh. 3 years. That must be a really fine computer.

I have a couple of Macs that are coming on three years old now, am I to beleive that they are no longer a "fine computer"?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Heck, the fact that you consider a 3 year old computer to be representative of quality proves my point as well as any thing.

How to expect to judge history without looking into history?

I currently have four Macs, two have failed, so am I meant to ignore that fact that I have had a 50% failure rate, or should I only take records for the latest one, which has failed so making it a 100% failure rate?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple releases redesigned Mac mini with HDMI port starting at $699