or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 now available for preorder from Apple, carriers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 4 now available for preorder from Apple, carriers

post #1 of 116
Thread Starter 
Apple and its various wireless partners around the world prepared to launch iPhone 4 on June 24 began taking preorders for the hardware on Tuesday, though the new white model is unavailable.

As was announced at the Worldwide Developers Conference last week, customers can buy a 16GB iPhone 4 with a two-year contract with AT&T in the U.S. for $199, while the 32GB model costs $299.

Last year's iPhone 3GS, available in an 8GB capacity, is also available for $99 with contract, and all three models deliver on the launch date of June 24. Preorders are limited to two per customer.

On the Apple online store, the white iPhone 4 is not available for preorder. In addition, the model with a white front and back cannot be secured for in-store pickup. On AT&T's site, the white iPhone 4 is listed as "coming soon."

Limited availability of the white iPhone 4 was revealed on Monday, when an internal memo from AT&T suggested that supplies would be scarce at launch. That memo said that while AT&T stores will take reservations for the white iPhone 4, it will not become available until later this summer.

Both the black iPhone 4 and 8GB iPhone 3GS can be secured via free shipping, or with in-store pickup for the June 24 launch.

While the iPhone remains locked to Apple's exclusive carrier partner in the U.S., AT&T, some international customers have the option of an unlocked handset. An unlocked iPhone costs £499 for 16GB and £599 for 32GB in the U.K, and 629 for 16GB and 739 for 32GB in France. It is also available unlocked and SIM-free in Canada.



The new iPhone will debut next week in the U.S., France, Germany, the U.K. and Japan. Apple has announced that the iPhone 4 international launch will ramp up to 87 total countries by September, its fastest global deployment of a new handset.
post #2 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple and its various wireless partners around the world prepared to launch iPhone 4 on June 24 began taking preorders for the hardware on Tuesday, though the new white model is unavailable

Yea...except it's down again. I can't order.
post #3 of 116
No white iPhone, no pre-order from me
post #4 of 116
done.
post #5 of 116
I got as far as checking my eligibiliy for an upgrade. After a few tortured seconds it came back with an error. After trying to go back and try again, the "We'll be back soon." screen greeted me. Hopefully this is not a sign on how things are going to proceed today...
post #6 of 116
I got as far as submitting the order and the store went down. Must be a lot of people buying.
post #7 of 116
I been trying to get on for an hour and a half now.. Gotta be overloading their servers
post #8 of 116
After four attempts, I was able to finalize the 32gb preorder. Took about an hour to get the confirmation email.
post #9 of 116
Well, the "pre-order for pick-up" allotment of the Apple Store in Frankfurt was gone in less than an hour - seems Munich and Hamburg are running empty now as well... Too early for predictions, but I would not be astonished if the September goal for all countries will have to be moved again... Absolutely everyone I know wants one.
post #10 of 116
I was unsuccessful since 1am PST ordering from apple.com. I finally went to att.com and was able to order immediately without incident. I have a confirmation number and everything.

PS: They can't seem to calculate tax based on zipcode so they charged 23% tax for the initial hold.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #11 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by kish View Post

I got as far as submitting the order and the store went down. Must be a lot of people buying.

I tried at 3:30 am EST and kept receiving "timed out" notices. Now at 8:30am receiving "back soon" stickie notice.

FYI, Radio Shack is now saying that they are not taking pre-orders until after 1pm today and that the trade-in price for a 3G is $100, no higher regardless of condition. Gazelle is offering $120-140 depending on condition and with a 30 day lock-in. I'm ordering for delivery from Apple and selling to Gazelle. I have no faith whatsoever in Radio Shack who have given me 3 differing stories in 4 days, same store/different salespeople.
post #12 of 116
Store appears overwhelmed. I have been stuck on the grey circle of endlessness awaiting ATT's authorization of account information.

Waiting patiently: will order black 32gb now, will wait to order the white for my wife....
post #13 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Store appears overwhelmed. I have been stuck on the grey circle of endlessness awaiting ATT's authorization of account information.

Waiting patiently: will order black 32gb now, will wait to order the white for my wife....

Same here. Waiting and waiting and waiting. They really need that new data center in NC.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #14 of 116
I concur.

The Apple Store is Buckling under the pressure. I have never seen this before. Trying to get my order in but those servers are caving.


....of course, I'll keep trying till my order goes through !!
post #15 of 116
The entire wireless.att.com is down now:

Maintenance In Progress

AT&T is continually working to improve our internet site for our customers. As part of this ongoing effort, we are currently doing maintenance. We apologize for this inconvenience and ask that you please try back again later.
post #16 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfine View Post

I tried at 3:30 am EST and kept receiving "timed out" notices. Now at 8:30am receiving "back soon" stickie notice.

FYI, Radio Shack is now saying that they are not taking pre-orders until after 1pm today and that the trade-in price for a 3G is $100, no higher regardless of condition. Gazelle is offering $120-140 depending on condition and with a 30 day lock-in. I'm ordering for delivery from Apple and selling to Gazelle. I have no faith whatsoever in Radio Shack who have given me 3 differing stories in 4 days, same store/different salespeople.

Just an FYI - i was able to pre-order my 32GB iPhone just now. When I clicked on the new iPhone banner on the main page of Apple.com and tried to pre-order that way i got the "back soon" sticky notice. BUT when I clicked on the "Store" button on the top of the page and then click on the little iPhone picture and then go from there. It took me about 5 minutes. It'll ask you for your current phone number, zip, and social. Thats it, I hope this works for you!
post #17 of 116
no white. no explanation. no date. borders on contempt for customers.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #18 of 116
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #19 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecR View Post

The entire wireless.att.com is down now:

Maintenance In Progress

AT&T is continually working to improve our internet site for our customers. As part of this ongoing effort, we are currently doing maintenance. We apologize for this inconvenience and ask that you please try back again later.

1-800-MY-APPLE says "....extremely high call volume....call back later."

Maybe I should buy the stock instead......
post #20 of 116
They seem to be sorry over and over again that they can't process my request. This does get old, it seems that after the 4th launch they should have seen this coming.
post #21 of 116
I tried repeatedly to get the phone ship option, but it kept timing out. I did manage to get a pickup confirmation at a local Apple store. I wonder if I can call in later after the initial rush and get it changed to a 'ship' order, rather than a pickup?
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #22 of 116
This is an exercise in futility...
post #23 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtatom View Post

Just an FYI - i was able to pre-order my 32GB iPhone just now.

I've been unsuccessful since 4 am. Still nothing but waiting for AT&T account information and session timeouts.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #24 of 116
So far, I've gotten to the choose data plan page before it finally errored and made me start over.
post #25 of 116
I am bummed. I've decided to put off my iPhone 4 purchase for at least a month if not longer. I looked at all my usage patterns with my current iPhone on Tmobile and I'm above the basic individual plan levels in all three areas of the AT&T plans, yes even using 2G data because I stream a decent amount of Pandora almost daily.

I'm right at about 650 minutes of talk. I average roughly 1200 text messages a month but every third month seems to hit 1700 for some reason (the other months are 900-1000) and for data I'm showing myself right at 200 megs a month download but then I still have uploads of cellular data as well.

I reset my cell data to see what it will be this month but man, I've got to find some way to get the family to roll over to AT&T with me to make this tolerable financially. The extra hits of $20 month for more voice minutes, $5 a month for unlimited text and $10 a month minimum for data are just pushing the iPhone out of reach for me when I've got an Apple solution that is working and on a plan I like right now. Did I mention the AT&T plan was already $10 more expensive per month with those minimal options than my Tmobile plan? That's $45 a month more to get what I get on Tmobile now.

Oh well.....\

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #26 of 116
I got thru for ordering a new iPhone 4 and was in sticker shock. Apple wants $599 for the iphone 4 16GB if your in mid contract and if i wait until january i can have it for $399. thats too much I don't think i can get more than $350 for my current 3GS. Last year I paid $399 for my current 16GB 3GS and I sold my 3G for $375.
post #27 of 116
Hey. Can somebody answer this for me?
If I go to bestbuy today to preorder the iphone, do I have to sign the new 2 year contract today? Or can I sign the contract on 6/24?

I'm wondering because my family is possibly considering a family plan but is unsure. I don't want to sign an individual plan now and have them go into a family plan later on because it would cost more for the month until I switch over.
post #28 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I am bummed. I've decided to put off my iPhone 4 purchase for at least a month if not longer. I looked at all my usage patterns with my current iPhone on Tmobile and I'm above the basic individual plan levels in all three areas of the AT&T plans, yes even using 2G data because I stream a decent amount of Pandora almost daily.

I'm right at about 650 minutes of talk. I average roughly 1200 text messages a month but every third month seems to hit 1700 for some reason (the other months are 900-1000) and for data I'm showing myself right at 200 megs a month download but then I still have uploads of cellular data as well.

I reset my cell data to see what it will be this month but man, I've got to find some way to get the family to roll over to AT&T with me to make this tolerable financially. The extra hits of $20 month for more voice minutes, $5 a month for unlimited text and $10 a month minimum for data are just pushing the iPhone out of reach for me when I've got an Apple solution that is working and on a plan I like right now. Did I mention the AT&T plan was already $10 more expensive per month with those minimal options than my Tmobile plan? That's $45 a month more to get what I get on Tmobile now.

Oh well.....\

Mathematically it'd make more sense for you not to get the unlimited texting and stick with the 1200 plan and pay the overages as in the long run even if you go over occasionally you won't go over enough to make the unlimited plan worth it
post #29 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I am bummed. I've decided to put off my iPhone 4 purchase for at least a month if not longer. I looked at all my usage patterns with my current iPhone on Tmobile and I'm above the basic individual plan levels in all three areas of the AT&T plans, yes even using 2G data because I stream a decent amount of Pandora almost daily.

I'm right at about 650 minutes of talk. I average roughly 1200 text messages a month but every third month seems to hit 1700 for some reason (the other months are 900-1000) and for data I'm showing myself right at 200 megs a month download but then I still have uploads of cellular data as well.

I reset my cell data to see what it will be this month but man, I've got to find some way to get the family to roll over to AT&T with me to make this tolerable financially. The extra hits of $20 month for more voice minutes, $5 a month for unlimited text and $10 a month minimum for data are just pushing the iPhone out of reach for me when I've got an Apple solution that is working and on a plan I like right now. Did I mention the AT&T plan was already $10 more expensive per month with those minimal options than my Tmobile plan? That's $45 a month more to get what I get on Tmobile now.

Oh well.....\

I sympathize, but for me, the new plans are going to be a major price break. (450m + 200d + 200t): $60/mo, instead of $80/mo (i.e., $480 savings over two years for each member of my family).

You should pay for what you eat, no?
post #30 of 116
Your request couldn't be processed.
post #31 of 116
.

I especially like the elegant and user-friendly "18-click shopping™", cannily presented over 7 separate pages (client-server connections)

This allows the shopper to casually read The Odyssey, nap, get a pedicure or reconsider purchase decisions-- while shopping.

What is pleasantly convient is the ability to start over at any time and the flexibility to re-specify any previously gathered information.

...The only improvement, I can think of, would be to rewrite the whole thing in Flash!


There needs to be an app for that!

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #32 of 116
The site is getting much faster at apologizing then asking for your phone number yet again. Maybe in the processing time I can read the AT&T Privacy policy link at the bottom to learn how they are protecting my data.
post #33 of 116
Well, after the AT&T check page, I get to a "Reserve to pick up at an Apple Store..." page except the info shows $699 for the 32-GB iPhone. I'm hesitant to click the "reserve" button. Anyone else seeing this?
post #34 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Well, after the AT&T check page, I get to a "Reserve to pick up at an Apple Store..." page except the info shows $699 for the 32-GB iPhone. I'm hesitant to click the "reserve" button. Anyone else seeing this?

You are probably not eligible for the subsidized price. Or, you chose a non-contract plan.
post #35 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Well, after the AT&T check page, I get to a "Reserve to pick up at an Apple Store..." page except the info shows $699 for the 32-GB iPhone. I'm hesitant to click the "reserve" button. Anyone else seeing this?

I had this same thing happen to me. I went back and typed my number with the dashes and it worked fine after that. It went from $699 to $299. 123-456-7890 instead of1234567890. Hope this helps!
post #36 of 116
AT&Ts servers are jammed. Cannot even get to AT&Ts Wireless home page. Unable to pre-order right now.
post #37 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Mathematically it'd make more sense for you not to get the unlimited texting and stick with the 1200 plan and pay the overages as in the long run even if you go over occasionally you won't go over enough to make the unlimited plan worth it

Um... I said that around every third month I hit 1700 texts. That would be 500 messages at 5 cents per message for a total of $25 in overage costs. I don't think that would be less than $15 across all three months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I sympathize, but for me, the new plans are going to be a major price break. (450m + 200d + 200t): $60/mo, instead of $80/mo (i.e., $480 savings over two years for each member of my family).

You should pay for what you eat, no?

I gladly would if the costs were linear or scaled in some appropriate fashion. I know people are betting on savings here but AT&T clearly has to know why they drew that line at 200 megs and I'm betting that a lot of these folks who average 150-175 megs a month with no background tasks will average just above 200 once iOS4 comes out and allows them to have something with data running in the background. Pandora is a great app and is even used to demo this feature. Most won't care and will go back to 2gig's at $25 and still pocket $10 a month over what they would have spent.

I'm the poor bastard stuck at work with no wifi. It does exist, but I can't get my iPhone to log into it as it is hidden and requires some log in. I have a laptop through work that logs into it just fine. Maybe I need some tech help and then could get by with the lower data plan. I'm not saying never, just giving it a month to double check and evaluate my usage patterns.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #38 of 116
Frantic tic tic tic tic tic tic tock.....
post #39 of 116
I wonder how Best Buy and Radio Shack are doing?

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #40 of 116
go through ATT site if you can. Apple store seems to have issues accessing ATT accounts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 now available for preorder from Apple, carriers