or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.4 with trackpad, CS3 related fixes

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.4 with trackpad, CS3 related fixes

post #1 of 69
Apple on Tuesday released Mac OS X 10.6.4, its latest update for the Snow Leopard operating system, with fixes related to Adobe's Creative Suite 3, as well as a resolution for an issue that could cause a Mac keyboard or trackpad to become unresponsive.

The latest update for Mac OS X also includes Safari 5, released last week with extensions, expanded HTML5 support, and the new Reader functionality. The 315.5 MB update is available via software update and is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

In addition to general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of Mac systems, Apple said it includes fixes that:

resolve an issue that causes the keyboard or trackpad to become unresponsive
resolve an issue that may prevent some Adobe Creative Suite 3 applications from opening
address issues copying, renaming, or deleting files on SMB file servers
improve reliability of VPN connections
resolve a playback issue in DVD Player when using Good Quality deinterlacing
resolve an issue editing photos with iPhoto or Aperture in full screen view
improve compatibility with some braille displays

Apple released numerous betas for Mac OS X 10.6.4. Since May, those familiar with the builds said they were clear of known issues.

The last update to Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.3, was released in late March. It packed fixes for QuickTime X and Open GL-based applications.
post #2 of 69
I was expecting a few more days wait after the drop yesterday.
post #3 of 69
Now if Apple has finally gotten support for spec. 3.0 calibration profiles working, it would be great.

In addition, if they've also gotten their experiments with Trim finished, and in here, it will be great as well.
post #4 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I was expecting a few more days wait after the drop yesterday.

Same with me. I have this trackpad issue for the last 3 years (only in some programs like Filemaker and Omnigraffle) were I make changes to a field and the trackpad is unresponsive (not all the time - &%#@) from a half a second to 2. A few days more to wait? No problem.
post #5 of 69
Now if I could use Time Machine on my NAS!
post #6 of 69
post #7 of 69
Here's hoping to the wireless SMB file copy issues being resolved.
post #8 of 69
i hope this fixes the safari 5 issues...i have had one kernel panic (first one ever) since i installed it...
post #9 of 69
Hopefully those who are on MacBooks with GMA X3100 graphic cards experiencing graphic corruption issues like myself won't have this problem anymore.
Switching From Windows on Nov. 30th 2007
-------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 13" 2011
Switching From Windows on Nov. 30th 2007
-------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 13" 2011
post #10 of 69
was 224MB on my end.
post #11 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

In addition, if they've also gotten their experiments with Trim finished, and in here, it will be great as well.

Per ChristophB, TRIM in still not supported in 10.6.4 (10F569), but this could be machine dependent at this time so I'll verify with my current MBP.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #12 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

i hope this fixes the safari 5 issues...i have had one kernel panic (first one ever) since i installed it...

Are you running Extensions? I haven't had any kernel panics, but I have had Safari 5 crash often since trying out Extensions. Unfortunately the Crash Logs aren't helpful, but by systematically turning Extensions on I think I've isolated the culprits.
post #13 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Now if I could use Time Machine on my NAS!

You cannot? why? I use it with my NAS without problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

Me too, Safari 5 crashes on a regular basis for me - hope this fixes it.
post #14 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you running Extensions? I haven't had any kernel panics, but I have had Safari 5 crash often since trying out Extensions. Unfortunately the Crash Logs aren't helpful, but by systematically turning Extensions on I think I've isolated the culprits.

I use adblock for safari ( http://safariadblock.com/ )
post #15 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

I use adblock for safari ( http://safariadblock.com/ )

That is 1 of 3 I removed as an issue. I don't recall the names of the others off hand as they weren't that important.
post #16 of 69
Quote:

i only have clicktoflash installed, that might have been the culprit...no extensions whatsoever...
post #17 of 69
Quote:

That is 1 of 3 I removed as an issue. I don't recall the names of the others off hand as they weren't that important.

The developer says its a safari issue

Quote:
Known Issues

Safari crashes on some web pages at random. This is a Safari bug and I've told the Safari team.

so here is hope...

edit: also, has anybody found a good place to get those extensions?
post #18 of 69
10.6.4 updates Mail to version 4.3, which breaks the GrowlMail plugin. I just learned it the hard way and am pretty annoyed right now, since it saves the time hassle of opening Mail every time I get a message to see what it is. If you use GrowlMail and 10.6.3 works fine for you, wait for a GrowlMail update first!
post #19 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

The developer says its a safari issue

so here is hope...

edit: also, has anybody found a good place to get those extensions?

To be clear, my testing was done by disabling an extenstion and seeing if the site crashed again. This isn't foolproof and it could still be a Safari issue even if an extension was the catalyst for Safari being flaky. Still I'd say my testing could fall under post hoc, ergo propter hoc, but I have had the issue since disabling select extensions so I'll wait for an update before re-enabling them.

Good place, I'm not so sure, but a couple decent sites I've found are:
http://safariextensions.org/
http://safariextensions.tumblr.com/
post #20 of 69
Strange. I had 10.6.3 running on my MacBook. I started software update and it downloaded an update weighing more than 600 MB. I don't know which special packages I have got for my MacBook now?
post #21 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

10.6.4 updates Mail to version 4.3, which breaks the GrowlMail plugin. I just learned it the hard way and am pretty annoyed right now, since it saves the time hassle of opening Mail every time I get a message to see what it is. If you use GrowlMail and 10.6.3 works fine for you, wait for a GrowlMail update first!

I don't have any Mail plug-ins that I have installed, and I tried Mail. There was an immediate message that Mail messages needed to be upgraded. After the upgrade, Mail worked fine.

GrowlMail may not be able to handle the message upgrade.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

post #22 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

This is common for every update to Mail. The solution is simple:

http://langui.sh/2009/11/09/fixing-g...-for-mail-4-2/

Edit:

The above link was for Mail 4.2. Mail 4.3 needs different UUIDs as in this updated post:

http://langui.sh/2010/06/15/fixing-g...-6-4-mail-4-3/
post #23 of 69
On my MacBook5,2 the update was less than 300MB and works fine. If you depend on iCal, note that this app is updated as well.

The update failed on my MacBook6,1. I have tried it both via Software Update and via the 800MB+ download from Apple's website. I am now going through the Repair Permissions routine.

If you are also having problems, please post as I would like to know what is going on.
post #24 of 69
Quote:

To be clear, my testing was done by disabling an extenstion and seeing if the site crashed again. This isn't foolproof and it could still be a Safari issue even if an extension was the catalyst for Safari being flaky. Still I'd say my testing could fall under post hoc, ergo propter hoc, but I have had the issue since disabling select extensions so I'll wait for an update before re-enabling them.

Good place, I'm not so sure, but a couple decent sites I've found are:
http://safariextensions.org/
http://safariextensions.tumblr.com/

Thanks!
After updating I have to say that Safari feels snappier - no seriously it does.
post #25 of 69
Installed 10.6.4, fixed my issue my MBP (which the had the logical board replaced) with CS3. CS3 suite is running again. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/834/cpsid_83499.html
post #26 of 69
Quote:

Per ChristophB, TRIM in still not supported in 10.6.4 (10F569), but this could be machine dependent at this time so I'll verify with my current MBP.

That's unfortunate if true. It's way past time for this. It's sad to see that MS has beaten Apple to this with support in Win 7.

The drives that don't seem to need trim are the ones with the Sandforce controller, but even though the source is a reliable one, I'm not entirely sure he's correct for the long term, and those drives are expensive. I've been recommending to people that they stay away from SSD'a until trim is here.
post #27 of 69
Downloaded the update. Opened CS3 InDesign. Opened a one page PageMaker document. Changed the fonts. Attempted to "Save". Crash. Tried again. Attempted to "Save as ...". Crash. Does not seem the problem with CS3 has been fixed.
post #28 of 69
Quote:

I'm pretty sure one of those crashy extensions is adblocker, because that's all I have and my Safari has been crashing many multiple times a day since the update.
post #29 of 69
Ah yes, another OS X point release and the usual run of posts expecting god knows what to be "fixed". Every user has their favorite "known", "documented", and "ignored by Apple" bug that only they have but assume everybody has. Just like clockwork.
post #30 of 69
Updated and so far there are no issues...it does seem to be snappier so I will have to run geekbench to find out for sure.
X7DWA-N Supermicro mobo,Dual QC 3.0 Xeons, 12Gb RAM, 6 Raptor drives + 500 Gb TM drive, 2x DVR-218L burners, M-Audio 7.1 sound card, Titan 650 case running Leopard 10.6.6,Win7 x64, Linux Fluxbox...
X7DWA-N Supermicro mobo,Dual QC 3.0 Xeons, 12Gb RAM, 6 Raptor drives + 500 Gb TM drive, 2x DVR-218L burners, M-Audio 7.1 sound card, Titan 650 case running Leopard 10.6.6,Win7 x64, Linux Fluxbox...
post #31 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Ah yes, another OS X point release and the usual run of posts expecting god knows what to be "fixed". Every user has their favorite "known", "documented", and "ignored by Apple" bug that only they have but assume everybody has. Just like clockwork.

It fixed my no-issues problem.
post #32 of 69
Quote:

That's unfortunate if true. It's way past time for this. It's sad to see that MS has beaten Apple to this with support in Win 7.

The drives that don't seem to need trim are the ones with the Sandforce controller, but even though the source is a reliable one, I'm not entirely sure he's correct for the long term, and those drives are expensive. I've been recommending to people that they stay away from SSD'a until trim is here.

Just checked. My 13" mid-2010 MBP with the NVidia MCP89 AHCI SATA controller stills says No under TRIM support.

I wonder if Apple is using those middle of the road SSDs because they don't have on-board garbage collection that works with HFS file systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm pretty sure one of those crashy extensions is adblocker, because that's all I have and my Safari has been crashing many multiple times a day since the update.

While I agree, as my experience and that of a friend suggest, I want to be clear that it's not a slam on AdBlock. It could very well be that Safari 5 is having a problem with a properly configured extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

That will always be the case until Apple can figure out a way to fix stupid.
post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Here's hoping to the wireless SMB file copy issues being resolved.

Ugh. Failed.
post #34 of 69
Quote:

Just checked. My 13" mid-2010 MBP with the NVidia MCP89 AHCI SATA controller stills says No under TRIM support.

I wonder if Apple is using those middle of the road SSDs because they don't have on-board garbage collection that works with HFS file systems.

A lot of big companies use those Samsung SSD's which aren't fast, but seem to be reliable. The performance isn't good. Neither is it good for most SSD's. And after they slow down after a month or so, it hardly paid to have bought them. Saving a few seconds opening programs may feel good, but has little to do with the performance of the computer.
post #35 of 69
Quote:

Yesterday's drop and what was released today is the same build. My dev machine is a 17" MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,2) with an Intel X25-M Gen2 SSD running the latest and TRIM supported firmware, 2CV102HD. Still no dice on TRIM support in System Profiler. Please let me know if you have different luck on other hardware. For my part, I'll be pissed if it does work for others but happy for you at the same time.

Edit: I wonder if/when people who bought the stock SSD start to raise hell about performance, Apple will give us some indication when we can expect support. * crosses fingers *
post #36 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

That's weird I have that but no freezes or crashes at all ... I'm running in Mac Pro 8 Core.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #37 of 69
Dang, I was hoping it would add iPhone-style scrolling to MacBook Pros prior to the current gen. Oh well, I guess It was a long shot anyway.

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #38 of 69
Dictionary.app keeps crashing on me as soon as I open it and put the mouse anywhere on the window. I suppose the combo update is in order now.
post #39 of 69
I wonder it they fixed the file transfer on iChat. Not sure if everyone else is having problem, but I sure am.
post #40 of 69
For the 2nd update in a row (I bought a 15" Mac Book Pro in mid-May and had to download 10.6.3 and some other files) the MBP did not restart after installation and I had to do a safe reboot followed by a restart.

I'm going to call AppleCare tomorrow to see if this means anything. Otherwise, I've had no bad symptoms with the new MBP and even took it to California for a week without incident.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.4 with trackpad, CS3 related fixes