or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New iPhone 4 orders from Apple won't ship until July 2

New iPhone 4 orders from Apple won't ship until July 2

post #1 of 65
Apple has sold out of launch day preorders for the forthcoming iPhone 4, and new orders from the company's website are now said to ship by July 2, more than a week after the handset's launch date.

The delay for those who didn't get in on the first round of preorders applies to both the 16GB and 32GB capacities of iPhone 4. Customers can only preorder the black model, as the white iPhone 4 is currently unavailable for any reservation.

Update: Orders that ship by July 2 are scheduled for delivery between July 6 and July 8, according to Apple, meaning customers may have to wait as long as two weeks after launch to receive the device.

Still available is last year's model, the iPhone 3GS, for delivery on the June 24 launch date. The 8GB phone, which lacks this year's upgrades like a forward facing camera, is just $99 with a two-year contract from AT&T.

Apple's update follows news on Tuesday from AT&T, the exclusive wireless provider of the iPhone in the U.S., which also sold out of its launch day allotment. New orders placed directly through AT&T will not arrive until June 25 or later, "depending on when the order is placed," the company said.

AT&T revealed that the first day of preorders for iPhone 4 was the busiest online sales day in the company's history. The company's systems had difficulty authorizing existing customers for upgrades, and Apple also began rejecting callers from its 800-MY-APPLE number.

The new iPhone is set to debut debut next week in the U.S., France, Germany, the U.K. and Japan. Apple has announced that the iPhone 4 international launch will ramp up to 87 total countries by September, its fastest global deployment of a new handset.
post #2 of 65
One would think they'd have their ducks in a row by now. But noooooooooo... Nothing but poorly aligned ducks!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 65
wow... so much for 'why bother to preorder today, just get it tomorrow'
post #4 of 65
Now that all launch day orders are done, I don't understand why they don't start taking White orders for delivery sometime in July.??? I setup a White iPhone 4 News thread so we could all more easily share any White info we discover among ourselves - being all the White wanters.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #5 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortal View Post

wow... so much for 'why bother to preorder today, just get it tomorrow'

You mean a week from tomorrow right?

post #6 of 65
Wow. What a fiasco. Good thing I managed to get my order in last night (the confirmation says "ships on June 24" so who knows when it will arrive.)

That said, waiting an extra week wouldn't have killed me.
post #7 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. What a fiasco. Good thing I managed to get my order in last night (the confirmation says "ships on June 24" so who knows when it will arrive.)

Does the order say "ships on June 24" or "arrives by June 24?" I got my order in late yesterday and, as of this posting, it still says "Has not yet shipped. Delivered by June 24." While I hope that doesn't change, I could wait a week or two longer for this new phone.
post #8 of 65
Quote:

Fiasco, for sure, but I have to wonder how much of it could have been prevented. Surely AT&Ts DB is an issue on a few levels, but I'll need to know the volume they sold in less than 24 hours.

Note: this does not equal the number of people or their accumulated attempts to buy the device.

As for waiting an extra week, it wouldn't have killed me but it would have been an unpleasant week.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #9 of 65
Just found this post over at MacRumors from last night:

White iPhone Availabe Mid-August
Quote:
Went by my local Best Buy and the phone sales guy said they'd recently received word that the white iPhones wouldn't be available until mid-August. The sales guy said he had to call several people who had pre-ordered under the assumption of getting the white one to deliver the bad news.

I'm officially in shock. That's 2 months from now and considered LATE Summer. This will have a huge impact on my next year's eligibility for early upgrade to the iPhone 5.

I'm thinking of going over to AT&T to see if I can begin my new 2 year contract NOW before I get the iPhone 4. That way I've got a better chance of qualifying for max discount on the iPhone 5 at launch next year.

post #10 of 65
Quote:

Pre-booking orders with a one week wait isn't exactly a fiasco. It seems we may have all lost perspective somewhere along the way here.

(Edit: To clarify, yeah the overloaded pre-order process was somewhat of a fiaso. A one week wait on a new product, not so much a fiasco.)
post #11 of 65
Doesn't really matter what the ship date is if you can't even put an order into their system.
post #12 of 65
Finally got my order in today. I tried every 2-3 hours yesterday with no luck.

Anyways, it looks like I was able to go down a couple data plans to $15/mo. for 200MB/mo. With the lower bill, I changed my message plan from f* no! to OK, maybe a few (200/mo.)
post #13 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

You mean a week from tomorrow right?

right right, i meant why hassle to preorder it today when i can just preorder it tomorrow and get it all the same

Im still getting it as sold out though ATT... i have to go through ATT to get my corporate discount.
post #14 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

One would think they'd have their ducks in a row by now. But noooooooooo... Nothing but poorly aligned ducks!

AT&T claims that yesterday was their best sales day EVER. Based on reports from around the world, the same may be true of other carriers.

Based on that, Apple probably got over al million preorders yesterday (based on the fact that the iPhone 3GS sold over a million on the first weekend). That would make it the fastest selling consumer electronics item IN HISTORY (pushing the iPhone 3Gs into second position). And even with that level of sales, they're talking about only a week delay in getting new orders into the customers' hands. That's pretty impressive performance. (For comparison, if you wanted a Wii console at peak order times, you could be waiting MONTHS, not a few extra days. Even 3 years after launch, Nintendo can't deliver Wii devices, even though the numbers are far smaller than the iPhone numbers).

Now, inability to deliver the white model is a different story. It will be interesting to hear what the reason for that is.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #15 of 65
I was finally able to get an order in on AT&T's website around 1pm CDT - but given all the discussion about selling out I'm beginning to wonder if I actually will receive it next week.

Thankfully, my order was an upgrade from my existing BB which had an unlimited data plan so the new plan changes aren't a concern. I was able to select the unlimited iPhone data plan based on AT&T's press release information.

Here's a more important question for those that were actually able to order/reserve and will have their iPhone next Thursday - is it prudent to wait a day or two to actually activate it? Activations on the first couple of days have always been difficult at best and bricked-phone-causing at worst. Since I'm doing an upgrade, I may just ride out the activation and monitor reports on the blogs to see how things are going.
post #16 of 65
I'm telling the AT&T clerk that had to take my order manually yesterday morning that if my iPhone doesn't arrive on June 25th, to cancel my order.

It's insulting enough to know that I tried for 3 hours online to pre-order one, then stand in line for an hour only to know that 90 people are going to walk into that AT&T store on June 24 and walk out with iPhone's while I have to wait until July 2nd.

I'm sick of AT&T's bullsh**.
post #17 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjuchter View Post

Does the order say "ships on June 24" or "arrives by June 24?" I got my order in late yesterday and, as of this posting, it still says "Has not yet shipped. Delivered by June 24." While I hope that doesn't change, I could wait a week or two longer for this new phone.

Yep, it says "Ships on June 24." \

I guess I am in the mezzanine tier, between June 24 and July 2. Oh well, I'll live.
post #18 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

...... changed my message plan from f* no! to OK, maybe a few (200/mo.)

MODERATORS!!!!! Someone is using ba-a-a-a-d language (but pretending not to).......
post #19 of 65
Quote:

MODERATORS!!!!! Someone is using ba-a-a-a-d language (but pretending not to).......

Lol, thank you Apple.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #20 of 65
I got 3 orders in late yesterday. Things seemed to get better after 7pm EDT. Oddly enough, I expected it to get worse as people flocked home from work but then I remembered the unemployment numbers and realized that no one is at work. All 3 phones are scheduled to arrive on launch day.
post #21 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Fiasco, for sure, but I have to wonder how much of it could have been prevented. Surely AT&Ts DB is an issue on a few levels, but I'll need to know the volume they sold in less than 24 hours.

Note: this does not equal the number of people or their accumulated attempts to buy the device.

As for waiting an extra week, it wouldn't have killed me but it would have been an unpleasant week.

I was lucky... I reserved a black one at 5AM MST from the Apple website and got my confirmation email within 3 minutes. So I will pick mine up on the 24th.
But it seems as though this was not AT&Ts fault this time......
It seems Apple had inventory issues right from the start. The white one not being available and now delayed shipments. For sure AT&T had problems with their website but then so did Apple. Now they have delayed shipments and low inventory. They opened the doors to more vendors like Best Buy and RS and Walmart but if the inventory is low then these vendors will only get a very limited allocation for each of the vendor stores. This will lead to even more consumer frustration as they will not be able to get the product from anywhere. I wonder if this was orchestrated or if there was some last minute production issue we don't yet know about!!! Just my 2 cents.

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #22 of 65
Got mine in at about 8 PM EST last night. Delivery on release, the 24th.

What a disaster, yesterday. I wonder if Apple will apologize (you know AT&T won't) and offer every iPhone pre-order a $50 gift card. Something tells me they might do this. Then we can all get VGA adapters and Camera Connection Kits ;-)
post #23 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

Doesn't really matter what the ship date is if you can't even put an order into their system.

It does matter, because lots of people have managed to get orders in at sporadic times.
post #24 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I'm sick of AT&T's bullsh**.

How is it AT&T's fault that more people want to buy the iPhone 4 than Foxcom and Apple can make? AT&T took your order, but it is up to Apple and their suppliers to deliver the device to the AT&T store.
post #25 of 65
Because it's now 22 hours later and my order still hasn't been entered into the system yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

How is it AT&T's fault that more people want to buy the iPhone 4 than Foxcom and Apple can make? AT&T took your order, but it is up to Apple and their suppliers to deliver the device to the AT&T store.
post #26 of 65
I managed to get my pre-order in using the new Apple Store iPhone app. Yesterday morning when I tried using it, it would crash and quit every time it contacted AT&T. When it finally worked late yesterday afternoon, it didn't query AT&T at all and just reserved my new iPhone 4 at my local Apple Retail Store for pickup on "June 24 starting at 7:00 a.m."

Even though the confirmation email says "Please note that your reservation will be held until close of business on June 24," I think I'll get there bright an early (5 or 6 a.m.) all the same. Even if my reservation managed to not mysteriously disappear before the close of business, accessories will probably sell out quickly.

I am a little concerned about activation. If AT&T's servers are overwhelmed (or they get attacked) again, I may have some issues. Arriving early and taking care of activation at the start of the day will hopefully ensure that I'll be up and running with no problems.

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

post #27 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I was lucky... I reserved a black one at 5AM MST from the Apple website and got my confirmation email within 3 minutes. So I will pick mine up on the 24th.
But it seems as though this was not AT&Ts fault this time......
It seems Apple had inventory issues right from the start. The white one not being available and now delayed shipments. For sure AT&T had problems with their website but then so did Apple. Now they have delayed shipments and low inventory. They opened the doors to more vendors like Best Buy and RS and Walmart but if the inventory is low then these vendors will only get a very limited allocation for each of the vendor stores. This will lead to even more consumer frustration as they will not be able to get the product from anywhere. I wonder if this was orchestrated or if there was some last minute production issue we don't yet know about!!! Just my 2 cents.

I don't know if that can be determined with the info at hand. The ONLY issues I had with Apple's site was when it connected to AT&T to do the lengthy verification and whatnot. Granted, this could still be an Apple issue connecting to AT&T's servers, but I found AT&T had issues with their site and local stores were doing handwritten purchase orders because they system was completely FUBAR at one point.

As for the white model being delayed, that is unfortunate, but it's not like it's the most popular color and it's not as if they took a bunch of orders guaranteeing delivery on the 24th before realizing it'll be delayed.

We'll need to see numbers to get a better idea of the demand, but I have to think it was considerably higher than they imagined. However, that is no excuse for not preparing better for such an occurrence.

PS: Did you know Girl Scout Cookies are sold year round, not just for a few weeks a year. They sell them in different regions of the country so they don't have an excessive build up of demand once a year. Perhaps Apple should consider something similar, just so long as I'm first.
post #28 of 65
Quote:

I don't know if that can be determined with the info at hand. The ONLY issues I had with Apple's site was when it connected to AT&T to do the lengthy verification and whatnot. Granted, this could still be an Apple issue connecting to AT&T's servers, but I found AT&T had issues with their site and local stores were doing handwritten purchase orders because they system was completely FUBAR at one point.

As for the white model being delayed, that is unfortunate, but it's not like it's the most popular color and it's not as if they took a bunch of orders guaranteeing delivery on the 24th before realizing it'll be delayed.

We'll need to see numbers to get a better idea of the demand, but I have to think it was considerably higher than they imagined. However, that is no excuse for not preparing better for such an occurrence.

PS: Did you know Girl Scout Cookies are sold year round, not just for a few weeks a year. They sell them in different regions of the country so they don't have an excessive build up of demand once a year. Perhaps Apple should consider something similar, just so long as I'm first.

LOL I did NOT know that about Girl Scout Cookies! :-) But now I have a craving for some thin mints!

I agree with you about needing more info about the actual numbers involved.....

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #29 of 65
A lot of people, here and elsewhere, are confusing reservations with pre-orders. They are not the same thing. I have seen many posts from people who claim that their order went through without a hitch. What they are really talking about is a reservation where they have to go to the store and pick it up. The Apple Store app didn't facilitate anything that the website couldn't do. Both were able to make reservations from the beginning.

What people are complaining about was the pre-order process. That went down right away, and didn't get resolved until late last night. Normal people had a couple of hours around 8:00 pm CST to pre-order the iPhone. That is the part that was completely busted, and what people are rightfully, IMO complaining about. I started the process at about 5:45 am CST, and didn't get a pre-order in the system until late last night. I still haven't received a confirmation email, but I think I should be alright for home delivery on launch day. If something goes wrong, I also reserved one at the store for launch day, just as I did for the iPad.

And yes, I, too, wanted a white one. I have been a white iPhone user since the choice was available. A lot of people probably just want one because Apple says they can't have it. Can't wait to see the sales numbers. One thing is for sure, iPhone haters will spin the Evo numbers as an unprecedented success, while the iPhone numbers won't be the top story; it will be the pre-order meltdown that catches their eye.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #30 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

A lot of people, here and elsewhere, are confusing reservations with pre-orders. They are not the same thing. I have seen many posts from people who claim that their order went through without a hitch. What they are really talking about is a reservation where they have to go to the store and pick it up. The Apple Store app didn't facilitate anything that the website couldn't do. Both were able to make reservations from the beginning.

What people are complaining about was the pre-order process. That went down right away, and didn't get resolved until late last night. Normal people had a couple of hours around 8m CST to pre-order the iPhone. That is the part that was completely busted, and what people are rightfully, IMO complaining about. I started the process at about 5:45 am CST, and didn't get a pre-order in the system until late last night. I still haven't received a confirmation email, but I think I should be alright for home delivery on launch day. If something goes wrong, I also reserved one at the store for launch day, just as I did for the iPad.

And yes, I, too, wanted a white one. I have been a white iPhone user since the choice was available. A lot of people probably just want one because Apple says they can't have it. Can't wait to see the sales numbers. One thing is for sure, iPhone haters will spin the Evo numbers as an unprecedented success, while the iPhone numbers won't be the top story; it will be the pre-order meltdown that catches their eye.

Just speaking from my experience... I got mine through first thing on the 15th at 5AM MST. Mine reservation was an upgrade to my existing iPhone 3GS. So as part of the process they did have to contact AT&T to make sure I was eligible for the upgrade. It all took 3 minutes from start to finish.....then I got the confirmation email in about another 3 minutes. I think I was very fortunate to start the process early when I got up to go to work!

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #31 of 65
Quote:

Just speaking from my experience... I got mine through first thing on the 15th at 5AM MST. Mine reservation was an upgrade to my existing iPhone 3GS.

To be clear, if you got a reservation, you did not do a pre-order. All you have is the ability to walk into a store on launch day and purchase a phone that they hold in your name for that day. A pre-order, (which is what people couldn't do for most of the day), is when they authorize your plastic and ship the phone via parcel service to your home address. You spend launch day some place other than an Apple store. That is the difference.
post #32 of 65
I was fortunate enough to get through yesterday and secure an iPhone for delivery on June 24th. My problem now is receiving the delivery from FedEx. I always have my Apple.com purchases sent to my office, but Apple's website states that they will only deliver an iPhone to your AT&T billing address. Unfortunately for me, I live in an apartment in midtown Manhattan with no doorman, and I work a regular day job. There is NO WAY that I am going to be home to receive my iPhone from FedEx during the day on June 24th.

Is there any way around this weird policy of Apple/AT&T's? Has anyone dealt with this is the past?

Thanks!
post #33 of 65
Quote:

I tried all day to make a reservation on Apple's web site, but you couldn't get far enough in the process to get to the point where you would select reservation vs. pickup.

I switched to the iPhone app, and it went through right away. The iPhone app could take my reservation when the web site would not...

I'm disappointed about the lack of a white phone at launch, but not enough to hold off for some undetermined date in the future...
post #34 of 65
Quote:

You're right! Thank you for correcting me.

In the morning, the app offered the option of pre-ordering and kept crashing when contacting AT&T. Later in the day, after AT&T's problems had become well-known, Apple must have taken that option off the site and put the reservation link front and center.

That's what I did. I'll get there before they open next Thursday and hope all goes well.

post #35 of 65
Quote:

LOL I did NOT know that about Girl Scout Cookies! :-) But now I have a craving for some thin mints!

That may be because it's erroneous information that I was given and then just spread. Looks like each "council" develops their own dates and may use certain localized manufacturing facilities.

http://www.girlscouts.org/program/gs...owcanipurchase Sorry about the craving.
post #36 of 65
Get some perspective people.

This is like driving to the Indy 500. Yeah, traffic congestion is going to be awful and parking is a bitch. Does that mean that they should build a 24 lane superhighway and hundreds of acres of paved parking, all for a once a year* event? Hardly.

Similarly Apple, AT&T and other sales outlets aren't going to add millions of dollars of redundant system capacity to deal with very occasional demand peaks like this. Furthermore there can't even be one person in a thousand of us that has to have a new iPhone on the initial delivery day.

Ordering problems hardly rise to the level of more than a minor annoyance, much less a "fiasco."

That said...I got mine ordered at a local AT&T store and was out of there before 10:30 am.

*OK, twice if you count the Brickyard 400.
post #37 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It does matter, because lots of people have managed to get orders in at sporadic times.

I'm sorry if my sarcasm was lost on you.

I do understand that it matters to those who have gotten their orders in.

Two of us here have been trying all last evening and since 3:30 am today to no avail.
post #38 of 65
Quote:

I don't know if that can be determined with the info at hand. The ONLY issues I had with Apple's site was when it connected to AT&T to do the lengthy verification and whatnot.

The ONLY issues I had with Apple's site were before it even asked for my phone number to try and verify with AT&T, or after it verified. There were a lot of us who were able to reserve for pickup but who could not complete the pre-order process which involved more steps, more server time and simply more chances for failure. Plus, in the early morning it seemed like far more people had success with AT&T than Apple, but that seemed to reverse, probably as word got out. By late morning on the east coast AT&T was hosed pretty good and seemed to stay that way for the rest of the day, and Apple was starting to get some orders through at least for pickup reservations placed through the iphone app. I think both companies were caught with their pants down and there is no real excuse for it.

Quote:

There are something like 20 million upgrade eligible phones, plus the people who will upgrade early and pay more, plus the people who never had an iPhone but want one now due to new features, cheaper data plans, corporate support or whatever. They have much better data than we do, but if they did not imagine millions of people would want one, I have no idea what cave they are living in. I would peg demand for the first 3 months at over 10 million units, with much of it front loaded to launch week. Unfortunately, their supply seems to be well short of demand, and it may stay that way for months. I can understand them underestimating the iPad since they had no history and no install base looking to upgrade. That and I can't figure out why so many people want an oversized iphone than does not fit in your pocket and yet still can't replace a netbook or laptop. For the iPhone 4 OTOH, the pent up demand should have been obvious.

Quote:

Girl scout cookies do not refresh their models once a year and try to compete against other companies that come out with new cookies every month or two.

Also, if you got your 3GS in the first wave last year and you are a moderate spender with AT&T, you were upgrade eligible in late December (18 months). If you missed the cut and got your 3Gs in July, you became eligible for an upgrade a week later in January. No big deal until December upgrades got moved to June 24th and January upgrades were left in January. Seems like there is a precident for a big reward for getting the new phone as early as possible. Imagine if they did a regional rollout last year and only the Northeast US could upgrade their 3Gs's to iPhone 4's this year and all of the other regions had to wait until January or pay $200 more. That would be a PR nightmare for sure!
post #39 of 65
This is absolutely an intolerable situation! What does Apple expect us to do after the 24th if we can't get an iPhone4 on the very first day? Our current phones are no longer going to work and we won't be able to communicate with anyone. Don't they understand that?

What? They are going to work? Really? Umm. Maybe I don't actually need to get a new phone on the very first day of release.

I congratulate Apple on what appears to be another amazing success (in spite of the problems.) I really didn't think that this update was gong to be perceived as a big deal by most people.

I would like a new iPhone, but I'm perfectly content to wait until all of the insanity dies down and I can walk into an Apple store without lines and chaos and pick up a new phone. That's how I got my last one. I really don't think my life is going to be over if I really wanted a white iPhone and had to wait a few weeks.

We've become terribly impatient and in need of instant gratification. Perhaps the same needs that are making us fat are making us go crazy when we can't have our new toy when we want it. ("But Mommy, I want that NOW!!!!") I would suspect that many psychologists would clearly see this as a disorder.

Many will see this as an Apple failure to produce enough phones, but you don't manufacture for the peak, you manufacture for the long run. If people complain enough, in the future, Apple will simply defer the release date until they build up more inventory.

And if someone logs onto AT&T's site and sees my name instead of theirs? Order me one in black and switch me over to the slightly cheaper data plan. Thank you.
post #40 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Our current phones are no longer going to work and we won't be able to communicate with anyone.

Sarcasm aside, that is kind of true for me. Yesterday, during all of the pre-order hubbub, I put my 3GS into a box and sent it off to a company that buys used electronics. It is a popular site that Leo Laporte' recommends on his shows. Therefore, I had a bit more of a vested interest in the pre-order process, as I really do not have a phone until the new one arrives. In the interim, I am using my iPad 3G with Line2 as my backup. With my number ported, people can still call and leave a message, and I can call out when I need to.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New iPhone 4 orders from Apple won't ship until July 2