or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces first-day iPhone 4 preorders top 600,000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces first-day iPhone 4 preorders top 600,000

post #1 of 176
Thread Starter 
Apple on Wednesday announced that the first day of iPhone 4 preorders topped 600,000 on the first day of availability, representing the largest single day of preorders ever.

Apple said in a press release that the total was "far higher than we anticipated, resulting in many order and approval system malfunctions. Many customers were turned away or abandoned the process in frustration."

The company continued, "We apologize to everyone who encountered difficulties, and hope that they will try again or visit an Apple store or carrier store once the iPhone 4 is in stock."

iPhone 4 preorders through Apple that could not be placed on Tuesday will have to wait, as Apple has said new orders will ship by July 2, more than a week after the June. 24 launch date.

Those who didn't get their order in on Tuesday in the U.S. may have to wait even longer, as AT&T also announced Wednesday that it has suspended preorders following unprecedented demand for Apple's latest handset. The exclusive carrier of the iPhone in the U.S. said that demand was ten times greater than that for the iPhone 3GS in 2009.

Both Apple and AT&T experienced problems as the companies began accepting preorders on Tuesday. AT&T's systems were unable to verify eligibility for some existing customers, while Apple was forced to turn down callers to its 800 number.

The iPhone 4 is set to launch next Thursday, June 24. In addition to the AT&T network in the U.S., the phone will debut with multiple carrier partners in France, Germany, the U.K. and Japan. Apple has announced that the iPhone 4 international launch will ramp up to 87 total countries by September, its fastest-ever global deployment of a new handset.

The 600,000 preorders taken Tuesday suggest that Apple is on pace to blow out its previous sales records with the iPhone 3GS. Last year, Apple sold over a million of the device in its first three days.
post #2 of 176
I got my order in after a dozen tries I'm happy...except that I'll have to wait until July..
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
post #3 of 176
That's insane.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #4 of 176
Got mine around 3:00pm PST after trying all day since 6:30am PST. I'm getting it on the 24th!
post #5 of 176
Wow 600,000 for one out of two colours and in only 5 of the 87 countries.
post #6 of 176
Any word on whether or not Apple Retail Stores will have stock available for purchase on the 24TH?
post #7 of 176
Is anyone surprised by this announcement? I wonder how high the number would have been without system malfunctions? I think it's been said before... Apple is doomed.

Was able to pre-order two... I'll be waiting for FedEx on the 24th. Not surprisingly, I had success with one order while the West coast was at lunch, and pushed the other through while they were in traffic on the way home.
post #8 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypop View Post

Any word on whether or not Apple Retail Stores will have stock available for purchase on the 24TH?

Yes, they will have stock. Enough to satisfy demand? Who knows. \

I'm not sure that I understand why folks who absolutely want an iPhone on the 24th didn't simply order one for delivery - where they will certainly be delivered by FedEx next Thursday.
post #9 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Ah the poor AT&T network. I can smell the servers smoking already.

iTunes activation will be fun
post #10 of 176
Apple must be getting sick and tired of all these failed products they keep releasing........
post #11 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Yes, they will have stock. Enough to satisfy demand? Who knows. \

I'm not sure that I understand why folks who absolutely want an iPhone on the 24th didn't simply order one for delivery - where they will certainly be delivered by FedEx next Thursday.

A lot of us tried...many, many times, but the handoff to ATT for eligibility verification timed out. Some people reported trying for hours. I, myself, tried off and on well over two dozen times while working on other projects.
post #12 of 176
All I have to say is, there better not be a single white iPhone 4 in that 600,000 figure. I'm quite miffed that Best Buy was allowing (supposedly legit) pre-orders for them. Meh.
post #13 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Is anyone surprised by this announcement? I wonder how high the number would have been without system malfunctions?

I'd say both Apple and AT&T were surprised. Probably the numbers could have been higher if Apple had more stock of the phones to sell. The ordering system glitches probably throttled the preorders back something closer to supply.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #14 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Apple must be getting sick and tired of all these failed products they keep releasing........

I agree, if they only listed to the advice from all the trolls on this forum they could be doing well, oh well.

Talking of doing well, Is see AAPL nearly back to 270.00
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #15 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypop View Post

A lot of us tried...many, many times, but the handoff to ATT for eligibility verification timed out. Some people reported trying for hours. I, myself, tried off and on well over two dozen times while working on other projects.

I sure understand. It took six hours to get two separate orders through for my wife and I.

Interestingly, the 'Bumpers' aren't scheduled to ship until the 24th with delivery the 25th-29th.
post #16 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypop View Post

Any word on whether or not Apple Retail Stores will have stock available for purchase on the 24TH?

The apple website posted there is no more reserving at the store.. it just says "find a store" and it will be sold on a first come first serve basis.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/pre-order/

For me, its time to bust out the camping equipment!
post #17 of 176
Lets just say, for the sake of simplicity that apple counted that period as 20 hours
(approx. 8 am est until midnight pst)

and that best buy sold 40,000, at&t sold 70,000, and radioshack sold 10,000

add that to apple's 600,000

for a total of 720,000

that is 10 iphones per second

10 SALES PER SECOND!!! That is one heck of a lot of demand

and at a minimum of $217 per transaction ($199 plus $18 upgrade fee)

$156,240,000.00
ONE HUNDRED & FIFTY-SIX MILLION, TWO HUNDRED & FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!!

I wish I could suffer that kind of security problem.
post #18 of 176
I guess that number wouldn't include in-store reservations that many of us were forced into because of the malfunctions. (10 transactions per second hardly seems like enough to take the system down, even if you assume it was reallly 200 transactions per second with the failure rate.)
post #19 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I agree, if they only listed to the advice from all the trolls on this forum they could be doing well, oh well.

On that note, it's been cracking me up to read all of the iPhone hater's comments about how much better they think the EVO is. Even yesterday, when I called Verizon to verify her information to port her number for iPhone, they were singing the praises of the Incredible. Regardless of what the haters say, it's awfully hard to deny the success from yesterday. In three months, the EVO will be replaced with another iPhone want-a-be. No other phone integrates iTunes, beautiful design, and common-sense GUI like Apple.

Call me an Apple Fanboy - that's fine. Just make sure you call out sales while comparing meaningless phone features.
post #20 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post

and at a minimum of $217 per transaction ($199 plus $18 upgrade fee)

My order waived the upgrade fee even though I am not at two years until Nov 2010. Not sure why they waived it but I'll take it.
post #21 of 176
What does this mean for those of us who are still within the 30 return window, for our 3Gs, but won't be after the 24th?

I really don't want to trek down to my local AT&T store and get online at 5am. By then it might be too late anyway.

HOW COULD THEY NOT SEE THIS COMING??? Amazing.
post #22 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Wow 600,000 for one out of two colours and in only 5 of the 87 countries.

Apple is doomed.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #23 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Lets just say, for the sake of simplicity that apple counted that period as 20 hours
(approx. 8 am est until midnight pst)

You're forgetting the rest of the world.
post #24 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I guess that number wouldn't include in-store reservations that many of us were forced into because of the malfunctions. (10 transactions per second hardly seems like enough to take the system down, even if you assume it was reallly 200 transactions per second with the failure rate.)

Obviously 200 transactions per second is child's play for a single database. Thus, I suspect the problem stems from some kind of communications between databases that multiplies the queries. It's quite possible that each one of those checks resulted in a dozen or more SELECT (and/or even INSERT if they're tracking inquiries) statements that may not have been optimized due to not anticipating demand. Then a middleware server has to combine the results and spit out a rendered web page-- probably much more often with the reloads and such.

In short, this is probably a system-of-systems failure and not a single overloaded database, IMHO.
post #25 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

My order waived the upgrade fee even though I am not at two years until Nov 2010. Not sure why they waived it but I'll take it.

grrrrrr

really, i am happy for you ... i am trying to be ... but it is tough
post #26 of 176
I'm kinda surprised people seem to be taking the removal of the 'unlimited' (not really) data plan and replacing it with a 2G plan. Maybe it's me but even if I were to 'almost always' fly in under the 2GB cap ... I'd have that one month that would sneak up on me and I'd be zonked with an insane overage fee.

'Unlimited' while clearly an inaccurate term, has a certain level of comfort and taking it away (I would have though) would have given many iPhone customers pause.

I wonder this... How many of that 600k are NEW customers?

Anyone know anything (official or otherwise)?
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #27 of 176
Lost in all this iPhone 4 hype is the fact that Apple is now selling unlocked iPhones in Canada.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #28 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by eAi View Post

You're forgetting the rest of the world.

I am not forgetting them, I am just ingoring them through the use of a highly complex formula of rounding to significant figures
post #29 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I guess that number wouldn't include in-store reservations that many of us were forced into because of the malfunctions. (10 transactions per second hardly seems like enough to take the system down, even if you assume it was reallly 200 transactions per second with the failure rate.)

1) I appreciate estyle taking the time to crunch the numbers, but I think they are off. I think Apple sold 600k (including all authorized retailers) worldwide in that timeframe.

2) Not all transactions and DB servers are the same. It's not exactly a Google search these servers are doing. It's really quite complex and redundant to ensure there are no hiccups. Without getting into it here is a quick blurp from Wikipedia that I think is relevant:
Quote:
In computer science, transaction processing is information processing that is divided into individual, indivisible operations, called transactions. Each transaction must succeed or fail as a complete unit; it cannot remain in an intermediate state.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #30 of 176
How many of those 600,000 are new iPhone users?
post #31 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I wonder this... How many of that 600k are NEW customers?

Anyone know anything (official or otherwise)?

I have no info on that question, but I am sure that AT&T will surpass every carrier this quarter and next in new activations, subscriber gross, and lack of turnover.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #32 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Lost in all this iPhone 4 hype is the fact that Apple is now selling unlocked iPhones in Canada.

that is very cool!
how does it feel?
especially since canadians are often complaining that they get apple attention long after the US on most issues.
post #33 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Wow 600,000 for one out of two colours and in only 5 of the 87 countries.

One of those 5 accounts for about half the iPhone's total volume (despite only one carrier having it).
post #34 of 176
i'll be waiting until the white model is available, hopefully the huge initial wave will have passed and AT&T's security glitches will be sorted through...good luck to all you that will soon be subject to identity theft...
post #35 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinpa88 View Post

What does this mean for those of us who are still within the 30 return window, for our 3Gs, but won't be after the 24th?

I really don't want to trek down to my local AT&T store and get online at 5am. By then it might be too late anyway.

HOW COULD THEY NOT SEE THIS COMING??? Amazing.

I would suggest returning the phone and using a cheap prepaid until you can get the iPhone 4.
post #36 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

i'll be waiting until the white model is available, hopefully the huge initial wave will have passed and AT&T's security glitches will be sorted through...good luck to all you that will soon be subject to identity theft...

let's start a rumor that the white iphone will have the option of 64gbs and trying to fit that extra memory is why it is not initially available.

that might allow you to experience some lauch day frenzy as well.
post #37 of 176
anyone know how At&t and Apple are dealing with rolling over your current iPhone rate plan. The Apple website claims you can roll-over your current wireless AND data plan if you have the 3G or 3Gs. Anyone know if this was part of the ording process?

I have the basic $49/mo 450 voice and $30/mo data 3G plan and don't want to loose that. Looking at At&t's current voice plan of $69 a month for the base 450 plan now is highway robbery!!! I'm totally not wanting to loose this!

also, does anyone know how trading in your old phone works? I'd like to recycle it like i did my old iPod Mini. Apple gave me a 10% discount on my new purchase for doing so. Anyone know if they will do this for the iPhone?
post #38 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinpa88 View Post

What does this mean for those of us who are still within the 30 return window, for our 3Gs, but won't be after the 24th?

I really don't want to trek down to my local AT&T store and get online at 5am. By then it might be too late anyway.

HOW COULD THEY NOT SEE THIS COMING??? Amazing.

1) Who predicted "this" was coming? Knowing you'll have a surge of orders is not the same as knowing you'll 10x the amount as the previous year right out of the gate.

2) How did you not see the iPhone 4 coming when you bought your 3GS recently?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #39 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Lost in all this iPhone 4 hype is the fact that Apple is now selling unlocked iPhones in Canada.

That's fantastic. And although for now it is limited to 3GS, the description of unlocked phones just below also apply for iPhones 4. So since all three major cell phone provider now have iPhones, it seems Apple will let unlocked devices be sold at higher prices without contracts, giving us users a bit of power of the absurd 3-year contracts we now need... Not a bad news!
Life is complex: it's a combination of real and imaginary components.
Reply
Life is complex: it's a combination of real and imaginary components.
Reply
post #40 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

anyone know how At&t and Apple are dealing with rolling over your current iPhone rate plan. The Apple website claims you can roll-over your current wireless AND data plan if you have the 3G or 3Gs. Anyone know if this was part of the ording process?

I have the basic $49/mo 450 voice and $30/mo data 3G plan and don't want to loose that. Looking at At&t's current voice plan of $69 a month for the base 450 plan now is highway robbery!!! I'm totally not wanting to loose this!

also, does anyone know how trading in your old phone works? I'd like to recycle it like i did my old iPod Mini. Apple gave me a 10% discount on my new purchase for doing so. Anyone know if they will do this for the iPhone?

It shows you your current plan. You can then change it to one of the new plans, if you'd like, but you can stick with the Unlimited data.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces first-day iPhone 4 preorders top 600,000