or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces first-day iPhone 4 preorders top 600,000

Apple announces first-day iPhone 4 preorders top 600,000 - Page 2

post #41 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post

that is very cool!
how does it feel?
especially since canadians are often complaining that they get apple attention long after the US on most issues.

The pricing of the 8GB 3GS makes me think that the 32 GB iPhone 4 with be ridiculously expensive

Then again, maybe I'll be able to get some good coin for my 32 GB 3GS.

Sadly Canada inherited its cellular system from the US. It took the Winter Olympics to get our two CDMA carriers to go to GSM and actually create some competition. We still aren't offered lower rates if we supply our own phone (although the startup Wind Mobile is trying to change that) and unsubsidized phones are expensive, so I don't know if this will start are a trend or not (Google failed with the Nexus One, but Google is not Apple). I'm cautiously optimistic.

If things can change here in Canada, there is still hope for change in the US.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #42 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

anyone know how At&t and Apple are dealing with rolling over your current iPhone rate plan. The Apple website claims you can roll-over your current wireless AND data plan if you have the 3G or 3Gs. Anyone know if this was part of the ording process?

I have the basic $49/mo 450 voice and $30/mo data 3G plan and don't want to loose that. Looking at At&t's current voice plan of $69 a month for the base 450 plan now is highway robbery!!! I'm totally not wanting to loose this!

also, does anyone know how trading in your old phone works? I'd like to recycle it like i did my old iPod Mini. Apple gave me a 10% discount on my new purchase for doing so. Anyone know if they will do this for the iPhone?

I recommend (as painful as it might be) ordering in person at the AT&T store to ensure you keep your rate plan.

I am on a family plan and the online process defaulted to the 70/30 rate and AT&T suggested coming in, since it kept defaulting each phone to the primary account, thus avoiding having to correct the plan after the fact.
post #43 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

anyone know how At&t and Apple are dealing with rolling over your current iPhone rate plan. The Apple website claims you can roll-over your current wireless AND data plan if you have the 3G or 3Gs. Anyone know if this was part of the ording process?

I have the basic $49/mo 450 voice and $30/mo data 3G plan and don't want to loose that. Looking at At&t's current voice plan of $69 a month for the base 450 plan now is highway robbery!!! I'm totally not wanting to loose this!

Yes, it seemed to be part of the ordering process. From what I could tell during my pre-ordering process, my current calling plan showed up during checkout as "unchanged" and it showed the $30 unlimited data plan. I don't recall seeing where I could have changed it in my ordering process however.
post #44 of 176
Doesn't seem like a lot for 5 countries. Maybe July pre-orders will be better.
After 3 netbooks from acer, toshiba, hp, I find contentment in my 11.6 MB Air. Hoping the 8-hr battery version shows up soon.
After 3 netbooks from acer, toshiba, hp, I find contentment in my 11.6 MB Air. Hoping the 8-hr battery version shows up soon.
post #45 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Ah the poor AT&T network. I can smell the server smoking already.

FIXED

I hope AT&T has enough activation servers to handle the load on the 24th. Otherwise, we're all going to be waiting all day at the Apple Store, just to take the phone home.
post #46 of 176
Quote:

I recommend (as painful as it might be) ordering in person at the AT&T store to ensure you keep your rate plan.

I am on a family plan and the online process defaulted to the 70/30 rate and AT&T suggested coming in, since it kept defaulting each phone to the primary account, thus avoiding having to correct the plan after the fact.

I too have a family plan, but I was only upgrading my iPhone 3G (not my wife's iPhone). Once the message came back to confirm which phone I was ordering, it also showed my current data plan as the $119.99 plan which was incorrect. Figuring I can correct it later if it ended up being a problem, I proceeded to completed my order. However, just before checkout, it actually showed my data plan as "unchanged". Additionally, it was grayed out and I couldn't see how I could have changed it had I wanted to.
post #47 of 176
Quote:

Lets just say, for the sake of simplicity that apple counted that period as 20 hours
(approx. 8 am est until midnight pst)

and that best buy sold 40,000, at&t sold 70,000, and radioshack sold 10,000

add that to apple's 600,000

for a total of 720,000

that is 10 iphones per second

10 SALES PER SECOND!!! That is one heck of a lot of demand

and at a minimum of $217 per transaction ($199 plus $18 upgrade fee)

$156,240,000.00
ONE HUNDRED & FIFTY-SIX MILLION, TWO HUNDRED & FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!!

I wish I could suffer that kind of security problem.

It's probably more like $200 Million and that's just for the 600 grand in pre-orders. The $199 is what the carriers charge their customers not what Apple makes. Apple's profit margin on each phone is probably somewhere between $300-$400 per phone. If you use your figure of 720 Grand then it's closer to $250 Million... and then there's the International pre-orders.
post #48 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felman View Post

That's fantastic. And although for now it is limited to 3GS, the description of unlocked phones just below also apply for iPhones 4. So since all three major cell phone provider now have iPhones, it seems Apple will let unlocked devices be sold at higher prices without contracts, giving us users a bit of power of the absurd 3-year contracts we now need... Not a bad news!

Actually some of the recent news is misleading.

Apple already sells the iPhone 3Gs unlocked in Canada and has for a while. I bought my 3Gs full-price at the Apple store, unlocked, last year. The new information is that the iPhone 4 will be the same (unlocked).

The good news is that anyone can do this (buy an unlocked iPhone at full price), and thus eventually escape the onerous and deceptive contracts that fido and Rogers force you to sign. The bad news is that since Apple doesn't really give a second thought to the Canadian market, and pretty much assumes we will be okay with whatever scraps they throw us, the iPhone 4 probably wont' be available to buy in this way for a couple of months.

The USA will likely be on iOS 4.0.1 at least, before you will see these for sale in Canada.
post #49 of 176
Doesn't this just show how easily led consumers are in this country? Has anyone even touched one of these things before pre-ordering it blindly? Giving AT&T upwards of $2200 in total for a 2 year contract without touching the thing let alone seeing the bugs that arise, etc with the hardware and software update is insane.

post #50 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Actually some of the recent news is misleading.

Apple already sells the iPhone 3Gs unlocked in Canada and has for a while. I bought my 3Gs full-price at the Apple store, unlocked, last year. The new information is that the iPhone 4 will be the same (unlocked).

The good news is that anyone can do this (buy an unlocked iPhone at full price), and thus eventually escape the onerous and deceptive contracts that fido and Rogers force you to sign. The bad news is that since Apple doesn't really give a second thought to the Canadian market, and pretty much assumes we will be okay with whatever scraps they throw us, the iPhone 4 probably wont' be available to buy in this way for a couple of months.

The USA will likely be on iOS 4.0.1 at least, before you will see these for sale in Canada.

Are you sure it didn't become locked when you activated it? If they were already sold unlocked, that's great, but they definitely didn't get any press and Apple didn't advertise it.
post #51 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Who predicted "this" was coming? Knowing you'll have a surge of orders is not the same as knowing you'll 10x the amount as the previous year right out of the gate.

I'm surprised their (Apple's and At&t's) servers couldn't handle the traffic. One of the largest tech companies and one of the oldest and largest telecom companies, in the World, and they couldn't handle it? That surprises me. Sorry if that upsets/offends you.

Quote:

2) How did you not see the iPhone 4 coming when you bought your 3GS recently?

What I didn't see coming was the same prices for the new phone as the one I just bought. I assumed (incorrectly, obviously) that they would be out of my price-range. When I saw they weren't and then saw the release date fell within my exchange/return window I figured I had nothing to lose.
post #52 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

Doesn't this just show how easily led consumers are in this country? Has anyone even touched one of these things before pre-ordering it blindly? Giving AT&T upwards of $2200 in total for a 2 year contract without touching the thing let alone seeing the bugs that arise, etc with the hardware and software update is insane.

If it was their first phone or their first product you'd have a point, but people know what to expect from an Apple product at this point. We've seen a long demonstration and we have a history to fall back on so it's not exactly a blind leap of faith.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #53 of 176
Quote:

Giving AT&T upwards of $2200 in total for a 2 year contract without touching the thing let alone seeing the bugs that arise, etc with the hardware and software update is insane.

What bugs have arisen in the past?

I've a 3 gs and had a 3g and here were no show stopping bugs. Certainly nothing that software updates didn't fix.

Frankly, compared to Droid and BB, Apple's way of managing updates has been far superior. I think most people realize this and are comfortable with Apple.
post #54 of 176
What? They didn't top a million sales in a day? I'm so disappointed...

Apple is indeed doomed

</sarcasm>
hey, I try my best to make up for those poor trolls who can't say anything because they're left speechless
post #55 of 176
What will be more revealing will be the adds AT&T receives as new accounts.

If everyone is just replacing their iPhone they already own, demand may come back down quickly after launch. The figures going forward after July will be the telling ones.
post #56 of 176
WOW! Unbelievable...

Where are the iPhone manufactured? Foxconn?

Hope there is special attention paid to the workers well being when they hear this news!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #57 of 176
Quote:

If it was their first phone or their first product you'd have a point, but people know what to expect from an Apple product at this point. We've seen a long demonstration and we have a history to fall back on so it's not exactly a blind leap of faith.

I wish I had $2200 to bandy about on a product I haven't touched yet. I guess this shows that most people are impulsive rather than rational when it comes to buying anything that Apple announces. It is a blind leap of faith in that you haven't touched this iPhone 4. I am not anti- Apple but I am anti-irrationality.
post #58 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

What bugs have arisen in the past?

I've a 3 gs and had a 3g and here were no show stopping bugs. Certainly nothing that software updates didn't fix.

Frankly, compared to Droid and BB, Apple's way of managing updates has been far superior. I think most people realize this and are comfortable with Apple.

Have you had AT&T service? It is not as reliable as Verizon or even T-Mobile in my area (NYC). I've had AT&T for 4 years and I have come to expect drop calls...
post #59 of 176
Quote:

1) Who predicted "this" was coming? Knowing you'll have a surge of orders is not the same as knowing you'll 10x the amount as the previous year right out of the gate.

2) How did you not see the iPhone 4 coming when you bought your 3GS recently?

I bought a 3gs a week and half ago without a contract purely because I lost/ had stolen my 3g in sydney with the express idea to return it once I got the newer model.

I was unable to preorder yesterday but I seem to have one reserved at my local apple store (thought it has the wrong price listed with the email; i'll just assume that can be fixed when i go pick it up and pay for it)
post #60 of 176
Quote:

I wish I had $2200 to bandy about on a product I haven't touched yet. I guess this shows that most people are impulsive rather than rational when it comes to buying anything that Apple announces. It is a blind leap of faith in that you haven't touched this iPhone 4. I am not anti- Apple but I am anti-irrationality.

It's all about trust. Apple has never let me down. Ever.
post #61 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Apple must be getting sick and tired of all these failed products they keep releasing........

Yeah. I don't understand how they stay in business.

Fire steve jobs!!!
post #62 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinpa88 View Post

I'm surprised their (Apple's and At&t's) servers couldn't handle the traffic. One of the largest tech companies and one of the oldest and largest telecom companies, in the World, could handle it. That surprises me. Sorry if that upsets/offends you.

You're surprised, that's fine, but your reasoning is flawed. Your argument that they should be able to handle any surge simply because they are big and old is erroneous. That has no barring on reality because there is a still a finite number of transactions they can do at any one time. You have no stated or broken down why you think the order load was well within reason for their server setup. You can't because there are too many factors to consider and too much info that we just can't get ahold of, but that is the crux of the issue with stating that they should have because of the criteria you stated.
post #63 of 176
Brilliant! I bet AT&T are glad they didn't allow Facetime over 3G.
post #64 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinpa88 View Post

What I didn't see coming was the same prices for the new phone as the one I just bought. I assumed (incorrectly, obviously) that they would be out of my price-range. When I saw they weren't and then saw the release date fell within my exchange/return window I figured I had nothing to lose.

Considering that is Apples standard practice across virtually all of their product lines, that shouldn't have surprised you.
post #65 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbro1999 View Post

It's all about trust. Apple has never let me down. Ever.

Blind faith is one of the most exploitable features corporations and governments see in the human race. Use your brains and never trust anything - not your priest, not your president and certainly not a profit driven corporation that enslaves its workforce worldwide.
post #66 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Is anyone surprised by this announcement? I wonder how high the number would have been without system malfunctions? I think it's been said before... Apple is doomed.

Was able to pre-order two... I'll be waiting for FedEx on the 24th. Not surprisingly, I had success with one order while the West coast was at lunch, and pushed the other through while they were in traffic on the way home.

LOL I think um no matter if the system fail or not, they only had 600,000 to sell
post #67 of 176
Quote:

Yeah, because we all know that once you take it out of the box and try it out, you're stuck with it forever. And you can't cancel the AT&T service - no matter what. That 2 week return policy and 30 day cancellation policy doesn't apply when you purchase an iPhone.

post #68 of 176
600K orders is a small fraction of the total that "could be" if people could actually order. It took me 16 hours of trying (off and on all day) to successfully buy two phones, a bumper and a dock. Imagine the actual sales numbers if people could get in and actually buy things.

Sheldon
post #69 of 176
Quote:

have you ever lived in a house before you bought it?
those usually cost a lot more. and the realtor showing is only the equivalent to the apple announcement, except that apple has a past history, while most home builders are unknown to the buyer especially if it is the second, thrid, etc sale of the house.

ever applied for a job after working for the company?
post #70 of 176
Quote:

Then don't buy one without touching it. Go to the Apple store or your carrier and play with one before ordering. You will have to wait a few weeks, but that's unlikely to be fatal.

OTOH, millions of people ordered them without touching them based on their experience with Apple products, reviews, and so on. Yet the iPhone has the highest customer satisfaction rate of all phones - three years in a row.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #71 of 176
Quote:

You're the one being irrational and like all irrational posters do you become hypocritical in short order (see next post).

Quote:

Have you had AT&T service? It is not as reliable as Verizon or even T-Mobile in my area (NYC). I've had AT&T for 4 years and I have come to expect drop calls...

So you admit that you can have expectations based on past experiences? Note that expectations don't just work for negative and positive experiences.

BTW, You don't pay $2,200, you pay $199 to $299 + $18 + tax. On top of that, you have a full 30 days to try out the device and return it for a refund and cancelation of your contract. So where is this massive risk and excessive costs coming from?
post #72 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

My order waived the upgrade fee even though I am not at two years until Nov 2010. Not sure why they waived it but I'll take it.

Yeah, from what I saw if you ordered through Apple's site the $18 upgrade fee was waived. But it seems that if you ordered through AT&T you were charged the $18 upgrade fee.
post #73 of 176
One of the real questions is, are any of these up-grades?

Skip
post #74 of 176
Quote:

Blind faith is one of the most exploitable features corporations and governments see in the human race. Use your brains and never trust anything - not your priest, not your president and certainly not a profit driven corporation that enslaves its workforce worldwide.

As a stock holder I think I can afford the $2200. Gotta love AAPL
post #75 of 176
Quote:

have you ever lived in a house before you bought it?
those usually cost a lot more. and the realtor showing is only the equivalent to the apple announcement, except that apple has a past history, while most home builders are unknown to the buyer especially if it is the second, thrid, etc sale of the house.

ever applied for a job after working for the company?

horrible argument. you can go many times into a house you are keen on buying and see it for as long as you want (or as long as the Realtor allows). You also do research on the community, schools, public transport, restaurants, bars, etc. This is a pre-order of a phone that hasn't existed 1 month in the public sphere that costs over $2200 that people are buying impulsively rather than trying it out first hand.

Working in a job has nothing to do with paying for a product.
post #76 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Wow 600,000 for one out of two colours and in only 5 of the 87 countries.

Can't Apple PR write a sentence on what's up with no White Pre-Orders?

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #77 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Lost in all this iPhone 4 hype is the fact that Apple is now selling unlocked iPhones in Canada.

Don't forget in the UK too. Now, if they can do it in the US that would be impressive and revolutionary. What a nice marketing point.
post #78 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

600K orders is a small fraction of the total that "could be" if people could actually order. It took me 16 hours of trying (off and on all day) to successfully buy two phones, a bumper and a dock. Imagine the actual sales numbers if people could get in and actually buy things.

Sheldon

That got me thinking. If they only had 600k units to sell as pre-orders and if the servers weren't having issues causing us to order constantly over and over for hours at a time, they would have simply sold out in a lot less time. So from a purely financial standpoint it may not have been financially viable for AT&T to spend a gazillion dollars just to speed up the inevitable of selling out in only a few hours.
post #79 of 176
Quote:

This is a pre-order of a phone that hasn't existed 1 month in the public sphere that costs over $2200 that people are buying impulsively rather than trying it out first hand.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt before rubber stamping you a troll...

1) Show us any evidence that anyone had to pay $2200 to pre-order an iPhone 4.

2) Tell us how the 30-day risk-free period of the iPhone 4 is not "trying it out first hand".
post #80 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Wow 600,000 for one out of two colours and in only 5 of the 87 countries.

AND for only taking orders for a few hours before everything crashed!!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces first-day iPhone 4 preorders top 600,000