or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 orders through Apple now ship by July 14, arrive even later

iPhone 4 orders through Apple now ship by July 14, arrive even later - Page 2

post #41 of 72
UK store still on July 2nd. And July 14 week is my birthday... But don't think I would wait that long...
post #42 of 72
How can order fulfillment be pushed that far out already unless orders are still coming in fast and furious or there's a production problem that affects all models (not just white)? I mean, sure, 600K is a lot for one day, but not much at all for a month, not for Apple and the iPhone.
post #43 of 72
My .02.

The software/ordering glitches were, and remain so bad, don't have any idea how many were sold.

I received THREE seperate confirmations of iphones reserved at the apple store for me, before I ever ordered my first to be delivered to my residence.

I didn't order them, but I have three reserved..... I'll take one for my wife though.
post #44 of 72
I wonder how many suicides this increased production demand will cause.
post #45 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Production issues with white model?

Apple is failed Economics 101. With the past record selling of iPhones and now there botching the initial pre-order and having less than 10000 White models tells me that someone at Apple is getting yelled at by Steve Jobs, rightly so!

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

post #46 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcinfantry View Post

My .02.

The software/ordering glitches were, and remain so bad, don't have any idea how many were sold.

I received THREE seperate confirmations of iphones reserved at the apple store for me, before I ever ordered my first to be delivered to my residence.

I didn't order them, but I have three reserved..... I'll take one for my wife though.

You have three confirmations for reserved iphones that you never requested, ya I believe that. Apple needs to create phantom reservations for products in such demand that it can't even fulfill real orders for them.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #47 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post

Apple is failed Economics 101. With the past record selling of iPhones and now there botching the initial pre-order and having less than 10000 White models tells me that someone at Apple is getting yelled at by Steve Jobs, rightly so!

Where did you get the 10,000 White iPhone 4 models number? This is the first I've seen it.

That's enough to give each Apple Store 40 on launch day.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #48 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Where did you get the 10,000 White iPhone 4 models number? This is the first I've seen it.

I am pretty sure the real number is 0. The fact that they pulled the preorder at the last minute and Best Buy never got the message seems to indicate a problem they caught before release.

The earlier reports were that they would have 6 million units for launch weekend and they expected 2 million pre-orders. If they built up a supply of 3GS units and then switched to iphone 4 production in late April or early May, the 6 million figure seems to add up. Buit where are the 6 million phones then?

The 600,000 figure does not make much sense. They have been selling close to 3 million phones a month, or more than 600,000 per week. Figuring everyone who would have bought one in June has been waiting since the announcement, if not longer, the normal demand level would account for more than 600,000 devices by now. This is NOT a big number or a huge success for Apple, it is a normal weeks volume packed into a day after normal sales were all but cutoff for a week. Weird. Is it possible Apple is only allowing pre-orders for 10% and the other 90% will be for walkins? That will really irk the people who pre-ordered today and have to wait several weeks to get a phone they could have picked up in store. Plus many WILL pick it up in the store and cancel the pre-order which will be a mess for Apple. That just does not seem likely. Did the 6 million iphone 4's not materialize? Were many of them (White, or white and some black?) defective? There is definitely something messed up with this.

I guess we will find out if Apple really does have millions of phones to sell by the end of the June quarter like Wall Street believes. Either people with these late ship dates will be pleasently surprised next week, or the stores will have plenty of unclaimed stock while the early birds wait. Or there really is less than a million iPhone 4 units for a launch that was expected to exceed the 3Gs's 3 million unit opening weekend. Hmmmmmmmmm.
post #49 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

It should only take them a month to build 3MM devices, possibly less. With the ramp expectations, and the likely reality that they only want half the units to be delivered (so store crowds are in the news), it still seems like there are a whole lot of missing units.

Ithink Apple is going to have to put more thought into automated assembly provisions in their designs in the future.

Your quote on the manufacturing lead times is dubious.
Please provide hard verified data.
post #50 of 72
My Radio Shack manager thinks he's going to get me my White 32 next Thursday. So I'm pretty sure there some small number of White units in the wild. \

post #51 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post

Hmm...fail...the company earned about US$32B last quarter, and held on to about a quarter of that while the great majority of the rest of the sector was essentially flat year over year....HP made 10%, year over year on about the same earnings, Apple made about 25%.

Please re-explain how, from the perspective of a company required to deliver a profit to its shareholders (and not from the view of a 14 year old poster), that's a fail.
post #52 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauve View Post

Hmm...fail...the company earned about US$32B last quarter, and held on to about a quarter of that while the great majority of the rest of the sector was essentially flat year over year....HP made 10%, year over year on about the same earnings, Apple made about 25%.

Please re-explain how, from the perspective of a company required to deliver a profit to its shareholders (and not from the view of a 14 year old poster), that's a fail.

Wow!

Watch out, you'll only end up underlining somebody's feelings of inadequacy over their Sprint service and 'other' less desirable electronics device.
post #53 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Fighter View Post

How many iphones will each store have on 6/24?
I ordered mine from best buy yesterday and they told me I was preorder #15. Do you think I will get my iphone on 6/24?

You should be fine...don't sweat it
post #54 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 801 View Post

I wonder how many suicides this increased production demand will cause.

Run along TROLL. You're beating a dead horse....
post #55 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

My Radio Shack manager thinks he's going to get me my White 32 next Thursday. So I'm pretty sure there some small number of White units in the wild. \

Are you in the market for a unicorn? Call me.
post #56 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

You have three confirmations for reserved iphones that you never requested, ya I believe that. Apple needs to create phantom reservations for products in such demand that it can't even fulfill real orders for them.

Yes, I received three reserved for pickup emails. And I didn't fill Them out. I even tried the cancel order tab, with no response. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy. What I am saying is there will be three reserved phones, apparently for me. And I intend on buying ONE. Because of the software meltdown, I'm sure SOME people will get phones sooner than expected.... Thats all.

It took me until 13:00 pst time to get one. And all three emails were prior to that time.
post #57 of 72
It's just a freaking phone people..... get over it... go on with your lives!
post #58 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Gruber, yesterday had an interesting comment about iPhone 4 vs. latest Android phone, reproduced here.

I think it's a mistake on the part of Android makers to go this route, and the rush on iPhone 4, I think, bears this out, at least to some extent*. You aren't really getting that much more screen real estate on the Android phones, not enough that it changes the phone into something iPad-like, so it's basically just going to mean the screen elements are marginally larger, or maybe you can see an extra item in a list, but it becomes more awkward in the hand, and more to lug around. On the other hand, getting smaller means fitting in a pocket more easily (or into other places where it didn't fit well before) and better facilitates one-handed use. The RAZR, after all, was wildly popular based almost entirely on it's small size, and I think people generally don't want their phone to be bigger than it absolutely has to be.

* OK, there are lots of other things that make the phone attractive to lots of people, but I think the size is an important feature.

It requires a huge effort to reduce the size of a phone. HTC is lazy, instead of inventing or using smaller components they just make the phone bigger to put everything in it. The same thing with the shape: it bulges when it has to unlike the slim streamlined iPhone 4. That attention to detail is what sets Apple apart.
post #59 of 72
NM my friend is an idiot that can't read .. hmm must be a droid user eh
post #60 of 72
'Out of Stock' creates some of the best free advertising in the world.
post #61 of 72
[QUOTE=anantksundaram;1654677]Nah... they call it the Stockholm Syndrome.[/

Yep
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #62 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

'Out of Stock' creates some of the best free advertising in the world.

Unfortunately, it's not just an iPhone problem.

It's now 2 days after the iPhone launch and you STILL can't upgrade ANY phone on AT&T's web site. Yesterday, they were claiming that the system was still messed up from the iPhone 4, but you'd think those orders would have slowed down by now. I tried to upgrade my daughter's phone this morning at 5:30 am central and it wouldn't even let me access the 'upgrade' portion of the site.

It is really disturbing that AT&T's so hopeless at creating an ordering web site that it's down 2 days after the product launch.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #63 of 72
I think when 600,000 people order a it in one day, they can delay it as long as they want. Pretty sure people will wait.
post #64 of 72
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #65 of 72
I think Apple needs to announce how they've addressed this. Selling out initially is great. People thinking you can't meet demand in the United States and you still have the rest of the world waiting means lost business opportunities and could harm the stock price.

Come on Apple announce how many iPhones you've got humming out of the factories and give us the timeline for when you expect to hit the mark for U.S needs, and world needs.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #66 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

I am pretty sure the real number is 0. The fact that they pulled the preorder at the last minute and Best Buy never got the message seems to indicate a problem they caught before release.

Speculation.

Quote:

The earlier reports were that they would have 6 million units for launch weekend and they expected 2 million pre-orders. If they built up a supply of 3GS units and then switched to iphone 4 production in late April or early May, the 6 million figure seems to add up. Buit where are the 6 million phones then?

This is wrong. The reports were that they expected to produce 3,000,000 the first MONTH. No way they were going to have 6,000,000 ready for "launch weekend."

Quote:

The 600,000 figure does not make much sense. They have been selling close to 3 million phones a month, or more than 600,000 per week.

It makes lots of sense. 600,000 per week of an in-channel, established product versus 600,000 pre-orders of new product...in ONE day. Do the math. Demand is at least 5x greater than normal.

Quote:

Figuring everyone who would have bought one in June has been waiting since the announcement, if not longer, the normal demand level would account for more than 600,000 devices by now.

What are you talking about? Assuming they are selling 600,000 per week, 600,00 per DAY is unreal.

Quote:

This is NOT a big number or a huge success for Apple, it is a normal weeks volume packed into a day after normal sales were all but cutoff for a week.

You're assuming equal demand for iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. You're ascribing all kinds of motives to people for buying. The fact is that there has probably never been a consumer product launch this big. Ever. But hey, it's not a big success. Apple prepared for record demand and instituted pre-ordering, and then the actual orders blew even their wildest expectations out of the war. But it's not a big success. What the hell are you smoking?

Quote:

Weird. Is it possible Apple is only allowing pre-orders for 10% and the other 90% will be for walkins? That will really irk the people who pre-ordered today and have to wait several weeks to get a phone they could have picked up in store. Plus many WILL pick it up in the store and cancel the pre-order which will be a mess for Apple. That just does not seem likely. Did the 6 million iphone 4's not materialize? Were many of them (White, or white and some black?) defective? There is definitely something messed up with this.

No. They were overwhelmed with pre-orders. That's all that happened. We don't know how many will go for walk-ins. We can only guess.

Quote:

I guess we will find out if Apple really does have millions of phones to sell by the end of the June quarter like Wall Street believes. Either people with these late ship dates will be pleasently surprised next week, or the stores will have plenty of unclaimed stock while the early birds wait. Or there really is less than a million iPhone 4 units for a launch that was expected to exceed the 3Gs's 3 million unit opening weekend. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Of course they have millions, or will have them. The problem is they might sell them faster than they can make them.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #67 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Now up to July 24.......

You snooze, you lose.

Glad I got mine in yesterday. At this point, they should just stop pre-orders I think.
post #68 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

This is wrong. The reports were that they expected to produce 3,000,000 the first MONTH. No way they were going to have 6,000,000 ready for "launch weekend."

That was a number floated. If they started making them in late April, at 3m a month, they would have 6m by the end of June. This is not much higher than 3Gs production, so it is certainly within the relm of plausible.

You seem to miss the point of the rest of my comments. I would have expected far more than 600,000 pre-orders (if the system worked). Selling a weeks worth in one day, is hardly a big deal when you closed up shop for the prior week. Thats barely breaking even. If they had said they took 2+ million orders I would not have been surprised. Also, ship dates slipping into late July do not add up to 3m units per month production rates. That would be 750,000 units per week, plus any built up supply from the last 1-2 months of pre-production.

Quote:
The fact is that there has probably never been a consumer product launch this big. Ever.

Unless a lot of inventory shows up on launch day for in store sales, 600,000 will be a small number compared to the 3Gs launch last year. They may have had fewer pre-orders, but they sold about 3m phones opening weekend, and had supply shortages into July. This may be the biggest product launch in terms of demand, but unless they have phones to sell it wont mean much.
post #69 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

That was a number floated. If they started making them in late April, at 3m a month, they would have 6m by the end of June. This is not much higher than 3Gs production, so it is certainly within the relm of plausible.

You misunderstood the number. The plan was to have sold 3M at the end of a month. That doesn't mean they started in April and had double that number on hand.

Quote:

You seem to miss the point of the rest of my comments. I would have expected far more than 600,000 pre-orders (if the system worked). Selling a weeks worth in one day, is hardly a big deal when you closed up shop for the prior week. Thats barely breaking even. If they had said they took 2+ million orders I would not have been surprised. Also, ship dates slipping into late July do not add up to 3m units per month production rates. That would be 750,000 units per week, plus any built up supply from the last 1-2 months of pre-production.

And you seem to keep making the same false assumptions. It's really impossible to measure what demand would have been without the new product launch. Sales vary week-to-week, and are affected by everything from a pending new product intro to seasonal variations. You can't just assume that there are 600,000 people who waited a week just because the quarterly average over the past YEAR broke down to 600,000 a week. There were very likely weeks in there where they sold less than 100,000. Last, we don't know if we're talking only individual orders or wholesale orders. I seriously doubt that Apple was selling 600,000 individual orders a week.

Quote:

Unless a lot of inventory shows up on launch day for in store sales, 600,000 will be a small number compared to the 3Gs launch last year. They may have had fewer pre-orders, but they sold about 3m phones opening weekend, and had supply shortages into July....

I don't know where you get your numbers.

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...s-models-sold/

Quote:
Looks like Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster’s second estimate of Apple’s weekend iPhone sales underestimated demand just as badly as his first. Apple didn’t sell 500,000 units of its new iPhone 3GS over the weekend, as Munster first predicted. Nor did the company sell 750,000 units as he said in a research note this morning. It sold over one million.

Quote:
This may be the biggest product launch in terms of demand, but unless they have phones to sell it wont mean much.

Well, which is it? Is there huge demand, or are you ho-humming it? The demand for the product is clear. And while I'm no Apple apologist, I think they'll be just fine with filling orders. More than fine...it will be their biggest product launch, ever.
post #70 of 72
With 600,000 pre-orders already for launch, how many pre-orders do you think Apple will get for
the July 14th batch?
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
post #71 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post

With 600,000 pre-orders already for launch, how many pre-orders do you think Apple will get for the July 14th batch?

3 Million.

post #72 of 72
I got an email on preorder day from att saying that my order was confirmed. I got an email with my order number. Now the order tracking system does not recognize my order number. I may be screwed on launch day.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 orders through Apple now ship by July 14, arrive even later