or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The End of Men

The End of Men

post #1 of 4
Well, this is an interesting article: The End of Men

The premise of the article is that men are obsolete. Due to numerous factors outlined in the article women are taking a larger share of the US job market, earning more degrees, and look set to increase their share of both in the near future.

Some questions posed in the comments that I thought might be worthy of discussion here:

Is this an artifact of moving manufacturing overseas?

Are the jobs being performed by these women professionals really relevant?

Will chaos and violence ensue if the number of disenfranchised males reaches some tipping point?

To me the article seems to be engaging in some undeserved schadenfreude.

From my own limited experience working and studying with women I have to say that it's still men holding down the critical functions of any business endeavor or project.

Why then do they now represent over half the workforce? Is it because women do better work? Not in my experience.

Is it because they're harder to fire? Possibly, but I think there are just as many ways to fire an incompetent female as there are for males.

Some of the other commenters opined that they feel education has now been set up in a way that favors girls, we have a few educators here, is this what is happening?

Any thoughts?
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsLan^ View Post

Well, this is an interesting article

It was far from interesting. Actually painful to read. Yet I took the time to read Hanna Rosin's Atlantic article, "The End of Men," and wished I had that wasted time back... her premise, that men are obsolete, is so sexist she should have her pencil, pen, and keyboard revoked. While women are making great gains in the workforce and indeed women recently became the majority of the workforce for the first time in U.S. history, it is wrong in the extreme for one to call for the end of one gender in the workforce. So much so it is only simple decorum that those of Hanna Rosin's ilk are not put in prison for sheer social stupidity... Most men and women welcome parity in the workforce and have for a long time. Now that such is achieved, we have losers like Hanna Rosin utterly embarrassing them in print. Sad.
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

It was far from interesting. Actually painful to read. Yet I took the time to read Hanna Rosin's Atlantic article, "The End of Men," and wished I had that wasted time back... her premise, that men are obsolete, is so sexist she should have her pencil, pen, and keyboard revoked. While women are making great gains in the workforce and indeed women recently became the majority of the workforce for the first time in U.S. history, it is wrong in the extreme for one to call for the end of one gender in the workforce. So much so it is only simple decorum that those of Hanna Rosin's ilk are not put in prison for sheer social stupidity... Most men and women welcome parity in the workforce and have for a long time. Now that such is achieved, we have losers like Hanna Rosin utterly embarrassing them in print. Sad.

I can't disagree, though I didn't read the whole thing--only parts. It does seem as if the author is some kind of macabre cheerleader for the demise of men. And that's the thing I see in modern feminism and women's "rights" movements. It's not about equality. It's about proving that somehow, women are better than men. It's like they want revenge. Of course, this also goes hand-in-hand with a movement that in my judgement, seeks to portray women and men as exactly alike, but with different "physical equipment."

The notion that "women can do anything men can do, only better" is one that I find irritating, and wrong. Men cannot do everything women can do, and vice versa. We're different--physically, emotionally, and mentally. Men's bodies tend to be bulkier in terms of muscle and bone mass. Men are programmed biologically to procreate with as many females as possible Women are programmed to get and keep a mate. These are scientific facts. They are bound to have an impact on behavior and capabilities.

From my own observations only: Men tend to be more logical and matter-of-fact. Women tend to be more intuitive and empathetic. Men tend to focus on the big picture...women tend to be detail oriented. Women often speak in absolutes ("you always" or "I never do...") while men tend not to do so quite as much. I even see a difference in the kinds of foods we eat. Women seem to crave sweets, whereas men tend to crave meat and carbs. I really don't think this is question of "nature vs. nurture," either. In my observation, this is widespread--at least in this country.

Concerning the article and the workplace: I think much of what's happening with women in the workplace now is driven by political correctness. That is, male candidates are being passed up in favor of female candidates. It's not that the females candidates are lesser qualified...it's as if gender is just the deciding factor. Some of this is to be expected. We've fortunately come a long way from the days of a school principal asking a young female teacher..."so if I hire you, how long until you get pregnant?"

In my experience, a decent balance of male and females managers is the best option.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #4 of 4
I read the whole thing and it has some pretty decent knocks at the end against women as well.

The real issue is that we have to get a much better understanding of power and how it is exerted and who controls it and then attempt to really stop pitting sides against each other.

Right now a university will spend millions lighting walk ways declaring that a woman has no power and that all the power lies within the potential rapist who could harm her. Yet that money being spent on her behalf is taken from someone and spent on her. THAT is power. Let the woman claim a man actually did rape her, and 40% of all claims are currently proven false, and see how much power the man has to fight that claim and what money society will spend to help empower him to defend himself as an example.

It was an interesting opening read. It would be nice if they went deeper across a series of articles to flush out and truly examine points.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The End of Men