or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases iTunes 9.2 with support for iOS 4, iPhone 4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases iTunes 9.2 with support for iOS 4, iPhone 4

post #1 of 66
Thread Starter 
In preparation for next week's release of iOS 4 and iPhone 4, Apple on Wednesday updated its iTunes desktop media application to version 9.2, adding support for iBooks, PDFs, and Apple's latest handset.

iTunes 9.2 is available for download direct from Apple, or via Software Update on a Mac. It is a 101.99MB file for Mac OS X, 92.29MB for Windows 32-bit, and 92.99MB for Windows 64-bit.

Apple said Wednesday the update to iTunes includes the following features and fixes:

Sync with iPhone 4 to enjoy your favorite music, movies, TV shows, books and more on-the-go
Sync and read books with iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 4 and iBooks 1.1
Organize and sync PDF documents as books. Read PDFs with iBooks 1.1 on iPad and any iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 4
Organize your apps on your iOS 4 home screens into folders using iTunes
Faster back-ups while syncing an iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 4
Album artwork improvements make artwork appear more quickly when exploring your library
Word of iTunes 9.2 first arrived during Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference last week, when it was seeded to developers in a Golden Master form.

iOS 4 will ship on June 21 as a free update for the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, and recent generations of the iPod touch. It will be followed on Thursday by the release of iPhone 4, also running iOS 4.
post #2 of 66
I was expecting this soon. Safari, OSX, and now a iTunes update.

Would like to know if iLife and iWork will ever get another update on OSX.
post #3 of 66
Cool. Interesting how it's a slightly larger download for OS X than the Windows world.
post #4 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I was expecting this soon. Safari, OSX, and now a iTunes update.

Of things announced I think the only thing left is XCode. I have mixed feeings with respect to XCode but hey maybe they will get it right soon.
Quote:
Would like to know if iLife and iWork will ever get another update on OSX.

Ever? They just got updated last year. I'd rather see a major overall, especially to numbers so that it supports advanced users better. If Apple does it right that won't happen in a short one year upgrade cycle.

In otherwords I'd like to see iWork updated but I'd rather like the trivial yearly updates to go away. Instead put the effort into numbers for a release that blows Excel away and blazes new paths.


Dave
post #5 of 66
Will the update allow me to turn off album art on my iPod and keep it on my imac?
post #6 of 66
Will the iPad be upgraded to IOS4 anytime soon?
post #7 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Will the iPad be upgraded to IOS4 anytime soon?

September is the earliest date rumoured. The last I heard is that iPad won't get 4.0 at all, but they will all come together with 4.0.1 around September/October this year.
post #8 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Will the iPad be upgraded to IOS4 anytime soon?

Fall '10
post #9 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In preparation for next week's release of iOS 4 and iPhone 4, Apple on Wednesday updated its iTunes desktop media application to version 9.2, adding support for iBooks, PDFs, and Apple's latest handset ...

Kind of an underwhelming update considering iOS isn't out yet, and iBooks 1.1 isn't out yet either.

Also .... still 32 bit
post #10 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Also .... still 32 bit

hopefully that'll change by 10.7
post #11 of 66
At last! After some three months, I'll be able to discover if a William Morris-influenced-Tolkien book that I published via the iBookstore really is there. Not having an iPad, I've not been able to check. Come Monday when I upgrade to iOS 4.0 on my touch, actually see how well it reads on a tiny screen.

Publishing blind has an eery feel to it. Now what we need is iBooks for Macs with full syncing of bookmarks to all platforms.

--Michael W. Perry
post #12 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

hopefully that'll change by 10.7

It's independent of Mac OS X and waiting for the next major Mac OS release would push it back to 2012 is we expect to start getting dev builds at WWDC 2011.

I think we'll get a 64-bit Cocoa rewrite of iTunes this Fall at the iPod/iTunes Special Event. It'll be iTunes X, which is what they seem to be doing to promote these rewrites to Cocoa. Plus it's 2010 and 10.0 of iTunes so it all fits well.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #13 of 66
Well, I had the WWDC version of 9.2 installed and software update said I was up to date. I guess it believes that build 9.2f1 (42) is the most up to date since the final version is 9.2 (61). I had to manually update. Not a big deal, but still funky.
post #14 of 66
In otherwords I'd like to see iWork updated but I'd rather like the trivial yearly updates to go away. Instead put the effort into numbers for a release that blows Excel away and blazes new paths.
[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. Numbers as it stands at the moment is of little use for former Excel users. I use it, however, for making tables as it is a great leap forward to have multiple spreadsheets on one sheet, but the functionality is more then limited. E.g. no proper transpose function is close to being ridiculous. But if they get it right - it will probably be fantastic (as are Pages and Keynote).
post #15 of 66
where is iBooks app for iPhone ???
post #16 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's independent of Mac OS X and waiting for the next major Mac OS release would push it back to 2012 is we expect to start getting dev builds at WWDC 2011.

I think we'll get a 64-bit Cocoa rewrite of iTunes this Fall at the iPod/iTunes Special Event. It'll be iTunes X, which is what they seem to be doing to promote these rewrites to Cocoa. Plus it's 2010 and 10.0 of iTunes so it all fits well.

I meant "by" 10.7, as in _before_ 10.7. sorry for the confusion
post #17 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's independent of Mac OS X and waiting for the next major Mac OS release would push it back to 2012 is we expect to start getting dev builds at WWDC 2011.

I think we'll get a 64-bit Cocoa rewrite of iTunes this Fall at the iPod/iTunes Special Event. It'll be iTunes X, which is what they seem to be doing to promote these rewrites to Cocoa. Plus it's 2010 and 10.0 of iTunes so it all fits well.

And I hope iTunes X will be a really major re-design. iTunes just combines so many functions that it is completely opaque to someone new coming to it - iPods, music, film, podcasts, now even pages documents etc. It's clear from the evolution of iTunes that they added more and more functionality. But for an average user it is not really clear whey the need to sync their mobile phone with an mp3 player software. They could simply start by designing a new icon ...
post #18 of 66
Can anyone check the exact version number? (on osx)

I was using the 9.2 beta, and I'm not seeing an option to install this official update.

Mine says version 9.2f1 (45)

Just curious what the official one says or if I pretty much have it.
post #19 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Would like to know if iLife and iWork will ever get another update on OSX.

It is very likely that Apple will update iLife and iWork at some point. It's impossible to say when; only Apple knows but they're not talking.

Based on the importance of the Mac revenue stream to Apple's overall bottom line, it is doubtful that they will completely neglect their PC product lines and the software that runs on them.
post #20 of 66
Why is there no iBookstore in the iTunes Store of iTunes 9.2?
post #21 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by september11th View Post

Can anyone check the exact version number? (on osx)

I was using the 9.2 beta, and I'm not seeing an option to install this official update.

Mine says version 9.2f1 (45)

Just curious what the official one says or if I pretty much have it.

9.2 (61). I had the same issue and had to manually update.
post #22 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

9.2 (61). I had the same issue and had to manually update.

thanks! just saw your post right after I submitted. will do this now.
post #23 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Why is there no iBookstore in the iTunes Store of iTunes 9.2?

They seem to have made a decision to only allow access via the iBooks app. For a text only book, downloading, even over edge is not a big deal. I suppose an ePub book with images could get larger, though. I wish they had allowed access through iTunes, though, just like everything else, and created an iBooks.app for OS X.
post #24 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

And I hope iTunes X will be a really major re-design. iTunes just combines so many functions that it is completely opaque to someone new coming to it - iPods, music, film, podcasts, now even pages documents etc. It's clear from the evolution of iTunes that they added more and more functionality. But for an average user it is not really clear whey the need to sync their mobile phone with an mp3 player software. They could simply start by designing a new icon ...

You hit the nail on the with regards to iTunes. I think it's interesting that they separated all these functions into different apps on the iOS.

To be honest I don't think you'll ever see these different functions be separated on the desktop. It seems that this is a hold over until devices like the iPad become indepedent from iTunes. Apple may view developing so many different apps for Mac and Windows as too arduous a task and can't rely on users dl'ing all of them.

Most likely you'll see iTunes turn part Cocoa & Webkit (in some parts it already is Webkit).
post #25 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

And I hope iTunes X will be a really major re-design. iTunes just combines so many functions that it is completely opaque to someone new coming to it - iPods, music, film, podcasts, now even pages documents etc. It's clear from the evolution of iTunes that they added more and more functionality. But for an average user it is not really clear whey the need to sync their mobile phone with an mp3 player software. They could simply start by designing a new icon ...

That's the problem with iTunes and likely the reason for the delay. It's a complex app and it the gateway for connecting your iDevices to your Macs. They have to rewrite the entire thing and release a solid product out of gate and it has to be very similar to the current version unless they allow for both to be installed and supported at the same time, which I don't think will happen.

They re-released iMovie when people complained about the new one being too different and not having the features they liked from the previous version.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #26 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

You hit the nail on the with regards to iTunes. I think it's interesting that they separated all these functions into different apps on the iOS.

I hope the next major version of Mac OS X make the ~/Movies folder ~/Video. It's a pet peeve of mine since.

Quote:
Most likely you'll see iTunes turn part Cocoa & Webkit (in some parts it already is Webkit).

THe stores have been WebKit for sometime now.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #27 of 66
My Win XP software update reporting that my download is at 64.28MB instead of the article's 92.29MB. Doing it for my Mac next and Win 7 64-bit tomorrow. See how they fare...
post #28 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's the problem with iTunes and likely the reason for the delay. It's a complex app and it the gateway for connecting your iDevices to your Macs. They have to rewrite the entire thing and release a solid product out of gate and it has to be very similar to the current version unless they allow for both to be installed and supported at the same time, which I don't think will happen.

They re-released iMovie when people complained about the new one being too different and not having the features they liked from the previous version.

I don't think the issue is that the app needs to be rewritten. Most complaints about iTunes is about how slow it is. While it may get slightly faster with a Cocoa rewrite and easier to use in some respects, it doesn't solve the issue. This is more of an issue for Windows users who, frankly speaking, vastly outnumber iTunes users on the Mac.

These different functions (music, video, books, documents) need to be separated and Apple has shown a reluctance to do so and I don't think it will change.
post #29 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's the problem with iTunes and likely the reason for the delay. It's a complex app and it the gateway for connecting your iDevices to your Macs. They have to rewrite the entire thing and release a solid product out of gate and it has to be very similar to the current version unless they allow for both to be installed and supported at the same time, which I don't think will happen.

They re-released iMovie when people complained about the new one being too different and not having the features they liked from the previous version.

That's right. I hope it wiil not be too big a challange to find the right way here. But Apple does have a track record of radically changing things and leaving old stuff behind (not only iMovie - and I am also not only talking about Flash here!) I have to say I wish Apple finds the courage to radically re-ignite what is currently known as 'iTunes'.
post #30 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hope the next major version of Mac OS X make the ~/Movies folder ~/Video. It's a pet peeve of mine since.


THe stores have been WebKit for sometime now.

LOL, 100% agree on both. It's always been a mystery to me why that isn't so with videos. I don't think we'll see it though. iTunes is starting to become it's own OS wrapped around a bigger OS.
post #31 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

They seem to have made a decision to only allow access via the iBooks app. For a text only book, downloading, even over edge is not a big deal. I suppose an ePub book with images could get larger, though. I wish they had allowed access through iTunes, though, just like everything else, and created an iBooks.app for OS X.

That's exactly what I was hoping for as well.
post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I don't think the issue is that the app needs to be rewritten.

It does need to be rewritten. That is the only way it's going to be Cocoa and 64-bit. I hear there is also a lot of legacy code in there dating back to SoundJam.

I agree that iTunes needs love on Windows, but that has no baring on Apple's plans to eliminate Carbon and push Cocoa into the future.

BTW, with my SSD iTunes loads in 1 second. I love it!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #33 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

September is the earliest date rumoured. The last I heard is that iPad won't get 4.0 at all, but they will all come together with 4.0.1 around September/October this year.

I assume Apple will stick with the 1-year release cycle for the iPad, which would mean no refresh for the usual September iTunes/iPod event.

I'm thinking that event will be all about the cloud version of iTunes, playlist and download syncing over WiFi, possibly limited WiFi syncing to the nano, and maybe -- finally -- the Beatles catalog.
post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Of things announced I think the only thing left is XCode. I have mixed feeings with respect to XCode but hey maybe they will get it right soon.


Ever? They just got updated last year. I'd rather see a major overall, especially to numbers so that it supports advanced users better. If Apple does it right that won't happen in a short one year upgrade cycle.

In otherwords I'd like to see iWork updated but I'd rather like the trivial yearly updates to go away. Instead put the effort into numbers for a release that blows Excel away and blazes new paths.


Dave

I'd love to see Numbers have Service hooks for R, Matlab, Maxima, Octave and others. Also, hooks for PostgreSQL, Oracle, MySQL, etc.
post #35 of 66
The most disappointing thing with Numbers has to be performance. Excel can open and work with very large documents rather easily. Numbers gets dead slow with even a modest sized file (especially when it comes to searching). In fact, taking a big CSV file and opening it as raw text in Safari is a million times faster to search than doing so via Numbers.
post #36 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Ever? They just got updated last year. I'd rather see a major overall, especially to numbers so that it supports advanced users better. If Apple does it right that won't happen in a short one year upgrade cycle.

In otherwords I'd like to see iWork updated but I'd rather like the trivial yearly updates to go away. Instead put the effort into numbers for a release that blows Excel away and blazes new paths.

Dave

iWork came out on 1/6/2009, so we're already passed the 1 year development cycle. The "ever" bit meaning I wanted a new release this last January and hope the iPad version doesn't mean they haven't been working on a newer OSX release all that time. The iPad version doesn't bring anything to the table for a newer OSX version so to me that was a distraction, unless I buy an iPad.
post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

At last! After some three months, I'll be able to discover if a William Morris-influenced-Tolkien book that I published via the iBookstore really is there. Not having an iPad, I've not been able to check. Come Monday when I upgrade to iOS 4.0 on my touch, actually see how well it reads on a tiny screen.

Publishing blind has an eery feel to it. ...

The iPad emulator should be close enough?
post #38 of 66
Expect massive waits for the iOS 4 and Apple's servers being overwhelmed. I see this in my mind's eye.

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

Reply

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

Reply
post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post

Expect massive waits for the iOS 4 and Apple's servers being overwhelmed. I see this in my mind's eye.

Shouldn't be a problem since it won't involve checking account data from AT&T's servers.
post #40 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Will the iPad be upgraded to IOS4 anytime soon?

iPad will get IOS4 in the fall per Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases iTunes 9.2 with support for iOS 4, iPhone 4