or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Hacker involved in iPad security breach arrested on felony drug charges

Hacker involved in iPad security breach arrested on felony drug charges

post #1 of 88
The FBI this week arrested one man who claimed to be involved in the iPad 3G security breach on felony drug charges. Since then, his free podcasts available on iTunes featuring derogatory comments about Jewish people and the media have gained attention.

Andrew Auernheimer, 24, was arrested after a search warrant from the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation was executed on his Arkansas home, CNet reported. Authorities said they discovered cocaine, LSD, ecstasy, and schedule 2 and 3 pharmaceuticals at the home of the hacker, who goes by the handle "Weev" and is a resident of Fayetteville, Ark.

"Auernheimer is a key member of the Goatse Security group that discovered the security weakness in an AT&T Web site for iPad users last week," the report said. "AT&T criticized the hackers for disclosing the flaw, but Auernheimer told CNET that his group waited until AT&T had fixed the problem before going public and did so to help consumers protect themselves."

The FBI announced last week that it was investigating the security breach that exposed the e-mail addresses of at least 114,000 iPad 3G users on the AT&T network in the U.S. The information was obtained by hackers who exploited a security flaw on AT&T's Web servers.

As noted by Edible Apple, the hacker "Weev" has hosted a video podcast entitled "The iProphet's Sunday Morning Sermons." Referring to himself as "the iProphet Weevlos," he delved into "topics related to true Christians today."

Andrew Auernheimer's booking photo, via the Washington County Detention Center.

The first episode, entitled "on dead celebrities," was released on July 2, 2009. The host begins the show by taking satisfaction that "God is destroying the celebrities, the prized celebrities of the media Jews, to express his dissatisfaction." He goes on to mention the deaths of Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson, and describe the celebrities in explicit and derogatory terms.

Another podcast released on May 12, 2009, is entitled "JESUS WAS NOT A JEW." In the episode, the host, who is called "Andrew" by someone off-screen, speaks into a webcam while holding a gun. "It helps me think," he tells someone else in the room. He goes on to say that the "whole thing" of Judaism is to pay a few "coins" to be "washed away of your daily sins."

Law enforcement officials in Vancouver, Canada, said last year they believed that Auernheimer was involved in threats to a Jewish community. Authorities reportedly warned Auernheimer not to go near any Jewish congregation. He responded by claiming he "has no violent intentions."

Auernheimer was also featured in a 2008 piece on Internet "trolls." In the piece, he was referred to only by his pseudonym, Weev.

"I want everyone off the Internet," Weev was quoted as saying. "Bloggers are filth. They need to be destroyed. Blogging gives the illusion of participation to a bunch of retards... We need to put these people in the oven!"
post #2 of 88
This is off-post. Thank you Kasper for fixing the iPhone mobile site. It's much improved. However, when clicking "comments" the page broke, so it's affecting every article. Will you please fix it? Thanks again!
post #3 of 88
I bet his parents are proud.
post #4 of 88
People with crazy beards are often crazy JK

Nice red beard though, plus the drugs. Amazing. If he wises up in prison he should apply to be a security consultant for ATT.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #5 of 88
LOL, he looks like the caveman in the Geico commercials.
post #6 of 88
i am from Fayetteville AR and were not all crazy but that guy is psycho
post #7 of 88
He got arrested for drugs and not for hacking? Well that's an interesting coincidence isn't it?

"While busting this guy for pot, we just happen to stumble upon evidence that links him to hacking a product belonging to a large corporation with seemingly endless money."

So not only are we a police state, we're a corporate owned police state.
post #8 of 88
Or did anyone else have a slightly different mental image of "security professional".
post #9 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

He got arrested for drugs and not for hacking? Well that's an interesting coincidence isn't it?

"While busting this guy for pot, we just happen to stumble upon evidence that links him to hacking a product belonging to a large corporation with seemingly endless money."

WTF are you talking about, would it be better if they busted him for drugs and found out he was a baby killer, as long as that baby didn't belong to anyone rich or famous(?)
post #10 of 88
Quote:

Maybe it is a corporate police state. Or maybe they went after a hacker who hacked into AT&T. Or maybe because the FBI already was aware of him after he made anti-Semitic threatening calls to Beth Israel saying “The Nazis are coming to get you; there will be another Holocaust” and “You killed my Lord. You will pay.”

You never know.
post #11 of 88
Quote:

Oh really? I didn't see anything about pot, but I did see LSD, ecstasy, and cocaine.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #12 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Or did anyone else have a slightly different mental image of "security professional".

Surprisingly, no, not much. A lot of these so-called security professionals are "reformed" hackers. A pretty weird bunch, though I don't suppose most of them are nearly as bizarre as this individual.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #13 of 88
It's a shame to have 'goatse' associated with an asshole like that.
post #14 of 88
Quote:

Actually as I understand it, they served a warrant to take his computers as part of an investigation into the ATT trick and what other hacking he's been up to, since it's going across state lines, affecting hundreds of thousands etc. According to at least one version of the story, he sold the email addresses he had gathered to the media (although he claims to have not kept a copy), so that probably didn't sit well either.

And when serving it the drugs were in plain site, which means that the Feds can seize them and act on them. Even if the warrant says nothing about drugs.

So even if they can't make the hacking or some kind of cyber terrorism stick, they have felony drug possession they can stick on him

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #15 of 88
How long has it been since he came out of his mom's basement?
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #16 of 88
I'd like to thank Andrew for thinking of my safety and security but I'd have to decline his assistance in dealing with bloggers and Jews... or anyone else for that matter.

Stay home Andrew. Lock the doors. We'll bring you food and water... promise.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #17 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'd like to thank Andrew for thinking of my safety and security but I'd have to decline his assistance in dealing with bloggers

As a friend pointed out, isn't podcasting just a form of blogging via audio/video. so shouldn't this guy be condemning himself

post #18 of 88
Corporations do often run things, and are often above the law. Thats a pretty important issue to be aware of and not just accept.

But crazy conspiracy theories arent neededthat just fosters the ignorant view that only a commie or a loony would criticize a corporation. Reality is scary enough without making things up.

Maybe this guy was busted for illegal drugs because he, you know, had illegal drugs As opposed to some master conspiracy involving tons of officers and investigators, all keeping the secret together (and yet somehow being caught by anonymous forum goers). And the forces of darkness traveled back in time to plant the other red flags toonice!
post #19 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

It's a shame to have 'goatse' associated with an asshole like that.

post #20 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Stay home Andrew. Lock the doors. We'll bring you food and water... promise.

Looks like he might find himself on the wrong side of a locked door.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #21 of 88
You have to be on drugs to be messing around with a company like AT&T and Apple. FBI should give him what he needs very much; put his ass away in jail for a very long time. May be he will meet Jesus there.
post #22 of 88
he he he Drug charges eh....... Do not mess with Apple!!!!!!
post #23 of 88
Quote:

Read a little before you open your mouth, will you? Snarky only works if it's based on truth.
post #24 of 88
Quote:

Well, you're not considering the fact that steve jobs could be behind this. That is how smooth he operates. Have you forgotten Gizmodo, and the Asian suicides?
post #25 of 88
I can't wait until he argues in court that he can't be busted because he's a journalist.
post #26 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I can't wait until he argues in court that he can't be busted because he's a journalist.

You're too late -- even weirder theories are already being offered right here.

Remember, even hacking, anti-Semitic druggie religious fanatics need love too.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #27 of 88
All this and still a Virgin.
post #28 of 88
Does the name Kevin Mitnick ring a bell??

I'd imagine the FBI is going to throw the book at this guy - if only cause they can't charge him with hacking.

Don't get me wrong... I'm all for throwing the book at psychotic, racial cleansing, freak-tards.
post #29 of 88
Quote:

Of course.. because its completely unbelievable that someone already involved in criminal activities would be involved in other criminal activities..
post #30 of 88
Well, I guess this means he will have to forget his role in the next Die Hard movie,
"Died Hard: The Ressurection".
post #31 of 88

"This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs!"

'nuff Said!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #32 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Surprisingly, no, not much. A lot of these so-called security professionals are "reformed" hackers. A pretty weird bunch, though I don't suppose most of them are nearly as bizarre as this individual.

I think it is a real shame that someone with his apparent technical skills is so far off the mark in other parts of his life. It would have been great for him to have used his talents to a better, more constructive purpose. I suppose the acid & X (LSD and MDMA both have hallucinogenic effects, although opposite ends of the spectrum) indicate a desire to escape. The other controlled substances also probably had a lot to do with him not focusing on doing good. Not that everyone that has used or uses drugs will go down this path but it does appear to be a lifestyle for this bozo - not experimental or recreational use.

Do not get me wrong - I think they need to string the guy up by his 'nads - if he has any.
post #33 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Well, I guess this means he will have to forget his role in the next Die Hard movie,
"Died Hard: The Ressurection".

You mean "Die Hard: The Intervention"

post #34 of 88
Isn't it deliciously ironic that this guy is Gizmodo's poster child for beleaguered, security expert caught in the crosshairs of corporate greed and law enforcement while fighting the good fight?
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #35 of 88
This guy left no asshole stone unturned. At least he's thorough. \
post #36 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcode View Post

Does the name Kevin Mitnick ring a bell??

One of the examples I was going to mention. At least Mitnick wasn't a complete nutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I think it is a real shame that someone with his apparent technical skills is so far off the mark in other parts of his life. It would have been great for him to have used his talents to a better, more constructive purpose. I suppose the acid & X (LSD and MDMA both have hallucinogenic effects, although opposite ends of the spectrum) indicate a desire to escape. The other controlled substances also probably had a lot to do with him not focusing on doing good. Not that everyone that has used or uses drugs will go down this path but it does appear to be a lifestyle for this bozo - not experimental or recreational use.

Do not get me wrong - I think they need to string the guy up by his 'nads - if he has any.

Seems like a case of the avenging angel syndrome. Of course we're overlooking the very real possibility that he was set up, that the drugs were planted in his home, and he never posted those hateful podcasts.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #37 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Maybe it is a corporate police state. Or maybe they went after a hacker who hacked into AT&T. Or maybe because the FBI already was aware of him after he made anti-Semitic threatening calls to Beth Israel saying The Nazis are coming to get you; there will be another Holocaust and You killed my Lord. You will pay.

You never know.

Judging by the referenced article, this is the Vancouver is in Washington State (across the bridge from Portland, OR) and not the Vancouver in BC, Canada. Perhaps, the editor should make a correction here.
post #38 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

You mean "Die Hard: The Intervention"

i was allowing for a pun on his religious ranting, so lets compromise

Died Hard: The Inquisition
post #39 of 88
post #40 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

WTF are you talking about, would it be better if they busted him for drugs and found out he was a baby killer, as long as that baby didn't belong to anyone rich or famous(?)

You miss the point. They just happened to go after him for possession and he just happened to be involved in the other event, so the point was the drugs were a front and they masked their true intentions with it. If he didn't hack, he'd be high right now, and if he didn't get high, they would have used another reason to arrest him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Maybe it is a corporate police state. Or maybe they went after a hacker who hacked into AT&T. Or maybe because the FBI already was aware of him after he made anti-Semitic threatening calls to Beth Israel saying “The Nazis are coming to get you; there will be another Holocaust” and “You killed my Lord. You will pay.”

You never know.

The articles I read (and admittedly not thoroughly) said the reason for arresting him was for possession of drugs, not for the hacking incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Actually as I understand it, they served a warrant to take his computers as part of an investigation into the ATT trick and what other hacking he's been up to, since it's going across state lines, affecting hundreds of thousands etc. According to at least one version of the story, he sold the email addresses he had gathered to the media (although he claims to have not kept a copy), so that probably didn't sit well either.

And when serving it the drugs were in plain site, which means that the Feds can seize them and act on them. Even if the warrant says nothing about drugs.

So even if they can't make the hacking or some kind of cyber terrorism stick, they have felony drug possession they can stick on him

Finally someone explains it instead of biting my head off. I hate reading about things like this right away because facts always get mixed up. So they in fact were at his house for the sole purpose of this hacking crime, and not for the drugs? That changes my perspective entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Read a little before you open your mouth, will you? Snarky only works if it's based on truth.

Read a little? I've read about 3 different articles on this. All 3 say the same thing: Arrested on felony drug charges.

Why wasn't he being arrested for hacking?

BTW, I'm typing, not opening my mouth. It's the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

Well, you're not considering the fact that steve jobs could be behind this. That is how smooth he operates. Have you forgotten Gizmodo, and the Asian suicides?

I better not say anything else then! :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

Of course.. because its completely unbelievable that someone already involved in criminal activities would be involved in other criminal activities..

Really? You think that's some sort of amazing point to make as a reply to what I said?

Had the drugs not been present, would he had been arrested for hacking? Just ask yourself that question, then ask yourself if the government even has the right to tell you what you can and can't put in your body. It wasn't a drug trafficking charge, it was a possession charge.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Hacker involved in iPad security breach arrested on felony drug charges
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Hacker involved in iPad security breach arrested on felony drug charges