or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple reveals iPhone 4 has 512MB RAM, doubling iPad - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple reveals iPhone 4 has 512MB RAM, doubling iPad - report - Page 2

post #41 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Upgrading from an iPhone 1st generation. And not getting iPad until version 2.

I think I am going to wait until iPhone Gen 5 to upgrade. I am amazed that my 3 year old phone still rocks for my purposes (I am not a very intensive user though).
post #42 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmarules View Post

that is good news! Wish they had upped the RAM on the iPad, though. I jailbroke my ipad, and with it comes the ability to see how much free memory is available and it can be startling how fast that 256mb is all used up!

Something as simple as having mail, ipod, and safari open with a few "tabs", I can be down to 20 free MBs pretty easily. Now that is with using backgrounder, and true multitasking, where iOS 4 will have a more economical version.

I love the iPad, but they definitely held things out to either make iPad2 that much more of a "must have" or to drive up the profit margin on the first iPad.

here is something to keep in mind. The iPad does not, yet, have iOS4. Nor do we know, for sure, if it will get Multitasking. There is no hard word either way on that, BUT, I would bet it would. And since there is no AppStore multitasking in the 3.2 iPad, current apps are written to use as much RAM as they want. Even simple apps use WAY more memory than they really need.

Once the iPad gets iOS4, we will see a lot of apps begin to slim themselves down when in the foreground, and even more in the back. Then that 256MB of ram won't be as small as we think it is right now.
post #43 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHarborGuy View Post

here is something to keep in mind. The iPad does not, yet, have iOS4. Nor do we know, for sure, if it will get Multitasking. There is no hard word either way on that, BUT, I would bet it would. And since there is no AppStore multitasking in the 3.2 iPad, current apps are written to use as much RAM as they want. Even simple apps use WAY more memory than they really need.

Once the iPad gets iOS4, we will see a lot of apps begin to slim themselves down when in the foreground, and even more in the back. Then that 256MB of ram won't be as small as we think it is right now.

oooooooo boy... i hope you are so right. Supposed to be getting an iPad next week....along with an iP4.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/
iPhone 4S, iPad 3 WiFi, 80gb ipod,5G nano, 3G shuffle, 4 shuffles, '11 MBA 13", macmini 2.26, iMac QC i5 27"
Reply
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/
iPhone 4S, iPad 3 WiFi, 80gb ipod,5G nano, 3G shuffle, 4 shuffles, '11 MBA 13", macmini 2.26, iMac QC i5 27"
Reply
post #44 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Apple is updating hardware that gets rolled out once a year, not every month or so like the Android phones. Hardly playing catchup.

Even so, I doubt Apple really views any of these devices as serious competition... When you think of the seamless integration between hardware and software, the ease of use, and the over 200 unique features enjoyed by the iPhone, I really can't see how any other vendor can be seen as a threat.

- App store with endless choices
- iTunes store with movies, tv shows, music, podcasts, audio books, itunes u, music videos and more
- iBooks store
- Best MP3 player on the planet
- Multitouch
- FaceTime
- Security
- Stable OS - iOS4
- Gyroscope, Accelerometer, and other sensors
- Visual voicemail
- HD video recording
- Battery life
- Beautiful UI
- Wireless N
- Compass
- GPS
- 512MB Ram
- A4 Chip
- Engineering - Beautiful Design (No cheap plastics)
- Multitasking
- Retina Display
- MobileMe with Find my Phone
- Remote wipe
- Cut, Copy, and Paste
- Thousands of Developers
- Device support - Software Updates
- Safari - most popular mobile browser
- Email with rich HTML
- Two cameras/Flash
- Nike + iPod
- iMovie

The list goes on and on... it's incredible.
post #45 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Upgrading from an iPhone 1st generation. And not getting iPad until version 2.

Same here (only a iPhone 3G). I may even hold off until generation three of the iPad before I make my purchase. For all the Apple fans here it is surprising that many still don't get it that generation one Apple products are almost always old tech, keeping manufacturing costs low. It allows Apple the ability to test the market to see if it will sell. If it does then add to it with later generations.

iPhone is in its fourth generation and those that purchased the first gen iPad are surprised that iPhone 4 has upgraded hardware? This is Apple what in the world did you expect.

Early adopters always get squeezed from Apple.
post #46 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Upgrading from an iPhone 1st generation. And not getting iPad until version 2.

huh, me too. my unlocked 1st gen iPhone is still working as well as it did the day i got it. iPhone 4 will be a pretty sweet upgrade...

and an iPad 2 in before Xmas would be nice!
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #47 of 60
The iPhone 3GS supports multi-tasking with iOS4 and it only has 256mb RAM. Combine this fact with the fact that the iPad has a much faster processor than the 3GS and there is no reason that when the iPad gets iOS4 it will not also get multi-tasking.

I have a 32GB 3GS running iOS4 since the first beta and the final/retail GM build is silky smooth switching between apps. All this with a lesser CPU than the iPad. Getting my iPhone 4 next week
post #48 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmarules View Post

that is good news! Wish they had upped the RAM on the iPad, though. I jailbroke my ipad, and with it comes the ability to see how much free memory is available and it can be startling how fast that 256mb is all used up!

Actually it is worst than that. After the OS and video hardware takes it's share of the RAM you are lucky if you get 120MB of RAM for user apps. This is certainly suitable for many uses but at the same time eliminates the possibility of many other apps. A machine with 512MB of RAM more than doubles the amount of RAM user apps have avialble to them.
Quote:
Something as simple as having mail, ipod, and safari open with a few "tabs", I can be down to 20 free MBs pretty easily. Now that is with using backgrounder, and true multitasking, where iOS 4 will have a more economical version.

The performance of Safari is really terrible when low on memory.
Quote:
I love the iPad, but they definitely held things out to either make iPad2 that much more of a "must have" or to drive up the profit margin on the first iPad.

Or it simply is an issue of a development project where there was no need to take a risk on a multi chip module with lots of RAM. Let's face it Apple got a lot of things right with iPad, things that are rather involved and engineering intensive. I just think the story is more involved than many want to admit to.

Dace
post #49 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Apple is updating hardware that gets rolled out once a year, not every month or so like the Android phones. Hardly playing catchup.

Hey that's cool! My old Nexus One also has 512MB RAM and a 1GHz ARM CPU! Welcome to the present day, Apple!
post #50 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

Hey that's cool! My old Nexus One also has 512MB RAM and a 1GHz ARM CPU! Welcome to the present day, Apple!

When you have a less efficient OS with unoptimized drivers an HW you need that extra performance and capacity in the HW just to make sure you aren't too far behind in real world performance when compared to a phone that is highly tuned.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #51 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When you have a less efficient OS with unoptimized drivers an HW you need that extra performance and capacity in the HW just to make sure you aren't too far behind in real world performance when compared to a phone that is highly tuned.

FYI, Android 2.1 loads and browses the Internet much faster on a 800x480 screen than my iPhone 3GS on its 320x480 screen. Did I say Android 2.2 brings Flash support to the Internet experience, and is 5x faster than Android 2.1?
post #52 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

FYI, Android 2.1 loads and browses the Internet much faster on a 800x480 screen than my iPhone 3GS on its 320x480 screen. Did I say Android 2.2 brings Flash support to the Internet experience, and is 5x faster than Android 2.1?

As it should with an 80% faster CPU clock speed, 100% more RAM and newer build of WebKit than in iOS v3.1.3.

Have you not seen the comparisons of Nexus Ones' with Android v2.2. between Flash and no Flash running. Do you really want to lose browser loading speed and usability just to get Flash that will drain your battery faster? To each their own, I suppose.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #53 of 60
Kinda funny were back to 512MB being a lot memory, only difference is its with phones and tablets instead of computers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When you have a less efficient OS with unoptimized drivers an HW you need that extra performance and capacity in the HW just to make sure you aren't too far behind in real world performance when compared to a phone that is highly tuned.

"less efficient OS"? Honest question, have you tried Android? Just asking considering this an Apple site after all. Cause the OS itself is great. It just depends on the manufacture on how well it'll perform. From I heard, HTC makes excellent high-end phones.

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

Reply

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

Reply
post #54 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

Kinda funny were back to 512MB being a lot memory, only difference is its with phones and tablets instead of computers.

It doesn't seem that long ago. Storage capacity, too. The iPod Touch maximum is 64GB. I think I only had a 4GB @4200RPM HDD in my notebook in 2001, in 2010 I have 580GB in my MBP now and likely going to move to 1.08TB sometime this year.

Quote:
"less efficient OS"? Honest question, have you tried Android? Just asking considering this an Apple site after all. Cause the OS itself is great. It just depends on the manufacture on how well it'll perform. From I heard, HTC makes excellent high-end phones.

Sure have, it's less efficient overall. I never said Android is a great mobile OS and I'd even call some phones by HTC as excellent, but Apple creating a mobile OS specifically to run on very specific and limited HW that they now have designed specifically for their specific needs means that an iOS device is naturally more efficient

Even with 3rd-party apps the controls Apple places on the App Store devs makes the code and upgrade cycles more efficient and effective to moderate.

There are plenty of comparisons between the 1GHz w/512MB RAM Nexus One and the 600MHz w/256MB RAM iPhone 3GS that have comes out its since January debut. Theoretically, the Nexus should be considerably faster than the 3GS in every task if the OSes and drivers were identical is in their efficiency, yet in many tasks they were shockingly slower and seem to only be slightly faster in most tests. What does that tell you?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #55 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It doesn't seem that long ago. Storage capacity, too. The iPod Touch maximum is 64GB. I think I only had a 4GB @4200RPM HDD in my notebook in 2001, in 2010 I have 580GB in my MBP now and likely going to move to 1.08TB sometime this year.

Even phones during the early to mid 00s didn't really have that much RAM and much processing power like they have now. Even when the iPhone came out, it still didn't have much horse power, despite its praise. Now their starting to be as powerful as a PC with 1GHz processors, for the moment, and 512MBs+ of RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are plenty of comparisons between the 1GHz w/512MB RAM Nexus One and the 600MHz w/256MB RAM iPhone 3GS that have comes out its since January debut. Theoretically, the Nexus should be considerably faster than the 3GS in every task if the OSes and drivers were identical is in their efficiency, yet in many tasks they were shockingly slower and seem to only be slightly faster in most tests. What does that tell you?

Personally I rather see it to believe it. This an Apple fansite, so an't holding my breathe. Especially now that the Apple fanboys officially declared war on Google. Not that your one but still.

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

Reply

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

Reply
post #56 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

Personally I rather see it to believe it. This an Apple fansite, so an't holding my breathe. Especially now that the Apple fanboys officially declared war on Google. Not that your one but still.

Here's one on the GPU fps » http://www.tipb.com/2010/02/15/iphon...ramerate-test/

Here's one on opening apps » http://www.anandtech.com/show/3632/a...-one-review/11

As you can see the Nexus Ones drivers (at least) were clearly less optimized than the 3GS and performance with apps opening varied from 0% to 150% and since it's considerably faster than the 3GS and double the RAM the only conclusion is that it's less efficient. You can say that it's faster in certain tests, and that's true, but it's expected to be faster, much much faster in every test taxing the "much better" HW and it simply isn't.

Now, you can argue that Froyo resolves a lot of these issues, and maybe it does, but that argument backs up my statement that Android is inherent less efficient than iOS due to the lack of integration between the HW and SW.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #57 of 60
Froyo? who's got it?

vapor until my buddy with nexus one receives it. it's been over a month since it was announced.

This is why I really appreciate Apple. Other than rumors, when something is announced, it gets released when it says it will be released.

All you get from the others is Coming Soon. Fail.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #58 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

Froyo? who's got it?

I had it once back in college. Go see a doctor, they'll put you on antibiotics and you'll be fine in no time.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #59 of 60
You are soo right , I felt bad when I read that the iPad had the same ram as the 3GS. Luckily, I quickly realized, what's the point if I have no need for that much extra ram. However, I thought how I'd like to edit movies on the iPad with the add-on apps, then I felt bad again.

my life's story,
gotta love being addicted to having "a-spec techs"



Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

Who cares!? If you liked the iPad yesterday, there is no reason to think less of it today merely because a subsequent product [allegedly] has more RAM.

It is about the capabilities and the experience. If iOS proves to be sluggish to multitask when it comes to the iPad in Fall, then there will be reason to complain.

One of the most distinguishing things about Apple is the fact that they focus on what really matters -the degree to which the tools and toys that they create impact the lives of users.

Yes, there will always be people out there who will sleep better if they have "spec-a" instead of "spec-b," but in reality, quantitative differences in specifications are irrelevant if they do not translate into qualitative and/or quantitative differences in the utility of the device.
post #60 of 60
Where's big news? Odd version numbers of Apple's products are here to have more clueless ubuntists aboard; they didn't see anything better anyway. Even version numbers are for loyal, experienced followers.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple reveals iPhone 4 has 512MB RAM, doubling iPad - report