or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon corrects Droid X ad error touting 720p screen
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Verizon corrects Droid X ad error touting 720p screen

post #1 of 97
Thread Starter 
A Verizon Wireless web promo for its Droid-branded Android phones originally promoted the upcoming Droid X as having a "720p screen," stoking some brief excitement that iPhone 4 and its Retina Display might be eclipsed, at least until the error was corrected.

Verizon's Flash-based web promo presented a series of mouse-over animations that highlighted the big new phone's 4.3 inch display and HDMI output (a hardware feature still missing from any of Apple's iOS devices).

However, it also specified the new model as having a "720p screen," leading some sites to report that the new phone "might carry a resolution of 1280x720 pixels." The actual resolution of the new Droid X is 854x480, the same resolution as the original Droid released last winter, but on a bigger screen that delivers less pixel density.

A variety of new Android phones are now targeting the supersized 4.3 inch screen form factor (including Sprint's HTC Evo), hoping that customers will be impressed by girth rather than screen clarity, quality and manufacturing competency. In its race to differentiate itself in the Android landscape, HTC's Evo has raced to market features including 4G networking, a WiFi hotspot, Adobe Flash support, and video calling, all things that iPhone 4 does not do.



Specs touted above reality

While Evo hardware features sound great, the advertised numbers (like Verizon's inaccurate "720p screen") and features of Android phones aren't necessarily living up to their hype. For example, the HTC Evo really only supports WiMAX 802.16e, not the minimum WiMAX 802.16m standard that is the actual minimum for classification as a 4G network, making its claim to be the first 4G phone dubious. Sprint doesn't even offer 4G in many cities, and even in the few where it's available the service inhales extraordinary battery life.

A review by David Pogue in the New York Times notes that Evo's WiFi hotspot feature "eats through a full battery charge in as little as one hour. [] And beware: the hot spot feature costs an extra $30 a month."

In regards to Flash, Pogue clarifies that "Evo runs something called Flash Lite, which is marketing-ese for, 'Sometimes works and sometimes doesnt,'" noting that while it plays some videos that iOS devices can't, it mostly just delivers all the blinking ads on the web while it doesn't work with a variety of other Flash videos and content, including CNN and Hulu content.

And as for Evo's video calling, Pogue notes, "this feature is head-bangingly unstable. After two days of fiddling, downloading and uninstalling apps, manually force-quitting programs and waiting for servers to be upgraded, I finally got video calling to work sort of. Sometimes there was only audio and a black screen, sometimes only a freeze-frame; at best, the video was blocky and the audio delay absurd." Making calls requires installing third party software, unlike Apple's FaceTime solution.

Android loses display battle in feature war with Apple

The hardware-centric hype of Android is being used to make up for major deficiencies in Google's Android OS itself, writes Jack Shedd, who documented his own experiences with Android before giving up and making plans to head back to the Palm Pre.

"Theres a sense, not just from reviewers, but from fans of the device, that what Android really needs is just killer hardware," Shedd wrote. "Which is just absolute horse [poo]."

"Ive been subjected to every inconsistency, idiocy and poor quality of thought Android has to offer," he complained. "Every 'unique to Android' feature seems, at best, a technological demo. Best I can explain it, Android is how an iPhone would work if Google designed it."

Screen resolution has been a notable exception where Android phones were decisively leading Apple's offerings, at least until the comparison changed from last year's iPhone 3GS to the new iPhone 4. Last winter's Verizon Motorola Droid introduced a 854x480 resolution screen with a density of 265ppi, significantly higher in both resolution and pixel density than last summer's iPhone 3GS and its 480x320 screen with a 163ppi density.

However, Apple is now launching the new Retina Display of iPhone 4, which delivers a resolution of 960x640 at a density of 326ppi. New Android big-screen models such as the Evo and Droid X don't deliver higher resolution screens, they're just bigger, much like the Nintendo DSi XL, a fact that seems ironic given all the pundits' contempt that was shoveled upon iPad for being "just a big iPod touch," despite introducing a much higher resolution display.

The larger screens at the same resolution now being promoted on the new big format Android phones means less pixel density and more obvious pixelation. The pixel density on the Evo and Droid X drop to 217ppi when their 854x480 resolutions are stretched across their larger screens.

OLED displays like that used on the HTC Evo present even less accuracy when stretched out, compared to Google's Nexus One, due to their use of skipped subpixels.

That's not a problem for the Droid X because it uses the same TFT screen technology as the iPhone 4 and iPad, just in a lower resolution. However, with Apple stealing the high resolution crown from Android, there's little left to recommend the less polished, less secure, less integrated, and more frustrating experience that Android offers.
post #2 of 97
If anyone didn't know what epic fail meant.
this is it.
post #3 of 97
That's classic all the 'droid fanbois were going NUTS slamming the "crappy" iPhone 4 resolution
post #4 of 97
Well...
Thats different now -- ISN'T IT!
ha!
post #5 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

If anyone didn't know what epic fail meant.
this is it.

I think we need a new term. 'Epic fail' isn't big enough.

Add that to companies who can't even count the number of phones sold and the entire Android thing is getting more and more laughable.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #6 of 97
I use nothing but Apple products, because I rely on their stability. And I get that AppleInsider makes more money when Apple has a positive public image.

However, this article is a lousy excuse for journalism. The motivation, and clear partisanship of the content is absurd. I respect AppleInsider much less because I read this article.
post #7 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

However, with Apple stealing the high resolution crown from Android, there's little left to recommend the less polished, less secure, less integrated, and more frustrating experience that Android offers.

Except that you can get an Android phone on a network besides the abysmal AT&T.
post #8 of 97
nice article ... quite humorous.
post #9 of 97
Quote:
Best I can explain it, Android is how an iPhone would work if Google designed it

Actually, Android IS how the iPhone would work if Google copied it.
post #10 of 97
ugh it was a simple mistake that was corrected. get over it. People were saying it was a mistake from the first moment it came out.

Really, a phone with a resolution of 1280x720 got a lot of people excited, but is it SO far off that whatever person was putting the page together meant 720p output?
post #11 of 97
Yea take that Google!

It seems that Android is always a new phone away from obliterating the iPhone. However with each successive phone the target seems to slip away. It's starting to become a familiar Cubs Fans slogan: there is always next year. One can only hope that this next year will be some time soon.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #12 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

And as for Evo's video calling, Pogue notes, "this feature is head-bangingly unstable. After two days of fiddling, downloading and uninstalling apps, manually force-quitting programs and waiting for servers to be upgraded, I finally got video calling to work sort of. Sometimes there was only audio and a black screen, sometimes only a freeze-frame; at best, the video was blocky and the audio delay absurd." Making calls requires installing third party software, unlike Apple's FaceTime solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Theres a sense, not just from reviewers, but from fans of the device, that what Android really needs is just killer hardware," Shedd wrote. "Which is just absolute horse [poo]."

"Ive been subjected to every inconsistency, idiocy and poor quality of thought Android has to offer," he complained. "Every 'unique to Android' feature seems, at best, a technological demo. Best I can explain it, Android is how an iPhone would work if Google designed it."

His review is consistent with everything I've seen and read about Android. This also validates my suspicion that the hardcore Android fanboys are just living in their own little bubble to think that Android is a more "superior" platform.

The reality that the Android-cult refuses to believe and will forever live in denial is that unless you have the intimate hardware/software cohesion that Apple has proved successful with, Android devices will always be the bottom-barrel option for tech-heads with too much time on their hands fiddling away with the PC-paradigm on mobile handsets to feed their ADHD personalities.

The regular Joe just wants their phone to simple "work" and not spend hours fiddling with some obscure rogue app that works on one handheld but not another due to fragmentation.

Android may in fact eventually become the "M$ Windows" of mobile OS, but like the desktop counterpart, it does everything good, but nothing well.

Thank you, but I'll continue enjoying my soon-to-arrive iPhone4 to replace my original iPhone2g. Not only is/will it be a stunning example of hardware engineering, it will also (continue to) be a great example of how to correctly design a mobile operating system.
post #13 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post

I use nothing but Apple products, because I rely on their stability. And I get that AppleInsider makes more money when Apple has a positive public image.

However, this article is a lousy excuse for journalism. The motivation, and clear partisanship of the content is absurd. I respect AppleInsider much less because I read this article.

Oh, get over it.
post #14 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

ugh it was a simple mistake that was corrected. get over it. People were saying it was a mistake from the first moment it came out.

Yeah, that might be reasonable - if there weren't a whole string if 'simple mistakes' in both this article and elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Really, a phone with a resolution of 1280x720 got a lot of people excited, but is it SO far off that whatever person was putting the page together meant 720p output?

What are you trying to say? The resolution is no where near the claimed resolution whether you call it 720p or 1280x720.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #15 of 97
Real products > Marketing.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #16 of 97
LOL I knew something was amiss. I thought they may have scurried since the iPhone demo to get a 1280x720p display to better compete, but it looks like it was a poorly contrived marketing ploy to grab some unwarranted attention. I dint think for a second it was an accident.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 97
For me Android's biggest problem is one company makes the operating system and another company makes the hardware and tweeks the operating system to their hardware. (Except for Nexus 1).This for me has always been one of Apples's strongest points. The hardware and software are made for each other and each work well together. RIM does it and does it well, and Palm does it and does it well. (Maybe Nokia too I'm not sure). But to me Apple has the best hardware and software combination in all their products.
post #18 of 97
My friend has the original Motorola Droid, and it's not bad. He refuses to use anything other than Verizon, so iPhone is out of the question. I've visited the Droid sites and pointed out that, just holding a Droid in your hand and an iPhone in the other, you can tell that the Droid is cheap. Man, I was just trounced upon by the Droid's fanboys! But, it's true. The iPhone is a quality piece, while the droid is as cheaply made as all the other phones made by Samsung and Motorola. It is nice that there is some competition in this market, though.
post #19 of 97
The HTC Evo 4g does not have an OLED screen. It uses the TFT LCD screen.
post #20 of 97
In a way I agree that really, this isn't that big of a deal. Someone made a mistake (or even if it was intentional), whatever.

That said, in the bigger picture, I think Android and iPhone/iOS reflect the different priorities of their respective companies. Apple wants/needs iPhone to be a great experience for users because they need to drive revenue by having people buy more iPhones in the future. Google on the other hand derives no benefit what so ever from having a positive user experience. Rather, they need people to _use_ handsets to drive ad revenue. The user experience for Google is centered around figuring out how to maximize this ad revenue even if it's at the expense of the overall user experience. If google can keep people bouncing around from one manufacturers android based phone to another, they would be perfectly happy.

When Apple finally starts selling iPhones on other networks in the US, it will be interesting to see how the landscape changes and how Google reacts (as well as the handset manufacturers).
post #21 of 97
Please correct the article.

AI said, "and video calling, all things that iPhone 4 does not do." The iPhone DOES support video calling.
post #22 of 97
This was intentional. Wait for more stunts like this. First were the Verizon iPhone rumors and now this. Can't wait until tomorrow.
post #23 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post

I use nothing but Apple products, because I rely on their stability. And I get that AppleInsider makes more money when Apple has a positive public image.

However, this article is a lousy excuse for journalism. The motivation, and clear partisanship of the content is absurd. I respect AppleInsider much less because I read this article.

Motivation and clear partisanship do not change the fact that the information provided is overall correct. So what is your point?
post #24 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

That's classic all the 'droid fanbois were going NUTS slamming the "crappy" iPhone 4 resolution

Too funny. I bet that humble pie is pretty sour! Now they have to go back to drooling.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #25 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

This was intentional. Wait for more stunts like this. First were the Verizon iPhone rumors and now this. Can't wait until tomorrow.

Actually, first were the reports of sales figures that were several times higher than reality.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #26 of 97
Only a fool will fall for an Android phone. It is the biggest mess since the Windows PC. So many phones running different versions of the same software. It is like being on a ship with no captain.

I can't say it better than you did in this article. Thanks for helping save a few poor souls from confusion.
post #27 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, first were the reports of sales figures that were several times higher than reality.

I heard reports of that happening on Sprint with the HTC EVO 4G, but not on Verizon or with Moto.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #28 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

ugh it was a simple mistake that was corrected. get over it.

Have you noticed that simple mistakes made by corps are always to their advantage. For example, BP: spilling 1K barrels per day. Now admitting at least 35K per day (last I checked) while some estimates are much, MUCH higher.

Now if they had quoted a lower resolution on this screen on the Droid, then you might have something.
post #29 of 97
@bitWrangler - "Rather, they need people to _use_ handsets to drive ad revenue."

Exactly. Never forget that Google makes no money on Android software itself. And that all Google cares about is spreading Android, through whatever hardware OEMs they can line up, to use as an AdMob platform.

We'll see how poorly the HTC Aria does against iPhone 4. I suspect that most AT&T smartphone customers will be saying "These aren't the Droids we're looking for."

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #30 of 97
Whenever one of your Android-thug friends whines about the "walled garden" that is the Apple iOS ecosystem, just tell him this: "I'd rather live in the Apple walled garden than in the Android weed patch."

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #31 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

His review is consistent with everything I've seen and read about Android. This also validates my suspicion that the hardcore Android fanboys are just living in their own little bubble to think that Android is a more "superior" platform.

The reality that the Android-cult refuses to believe and will forever live in denial is that unless you have the intimate hardware/software cohesion that Apple has proved successful with, Android devices will always be the bottom-barrel option for tech-heads with too much time on their hands fiddling away with the PC-paradigm on mobile handsets to feed their ADHD personalities.

The regular Joe just wants their phone to simple "work" and not spend hours fiddling with some obscure rogue app that works on one handheld but not another due to fragmentation.

Android may in fact eventually become the "M$ Windows" of mobile OS, but like the desktop counterpart, it does everything good, but nothing well.

Thank you, but I'll continue enjoying my soon-to-arrive iPhone4 to replace my original iPhone2g. Not only is/will it be a stunning example of hardware engineering, it will also (continue to) be a great example of how to correctly design a mobile operating system.

sflocal - great points.

To me the Android drones are what all the pc drones have been in the past, always trying to notch down Apple for what is and is not. As far as I'm concerned use whatever hardware/software combo that works best for you and your needs.

I do think the competition from Android devices is good for Apple as they will continue to make better innovative products that others will want to copy.
post #32 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Whenever one of your Android-thug friends whines about the "walled garden" that is the Apple iOS ecosystem, just tell him this: "I'd rather live in the Apple walled garden than in the Android weed patch."

Great comment!
post #33 of 97
I guess Droid doesn't.
post #34 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Motivation and clear partisanship do not change the fact that the information provided is overall correct. So what is your point?

Not really. Plenty of reviewers have positively reviewed Android phones. It seems like whoever wrote this news article picked and chose which ones to quote.

EDIT: I think the biggest thing here is the question of what this has to do with Apple or AT&T. Maybe something talking about AT&T announcing 2 Android handsets in a week and what that means for the iPhone, but a marketing mistake for the Droid X on Verizon? Sure it might be tangentially related because AT&T and Verizon are carriers and Apple and Motorola are manufacturers, but this is just petty.
post #35 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeath View Post

Not really. Plenty of reviewers have positively reviewed Android phones. It seems like whoever wrote this news article picked and chose which ones to quote.

EDIT: I think the biggest thing here is the question of what this has to do with Apple or AT&T. Maybe something talking about AT&T announcing 2 Android handsets in a week and what that means for the iPhone, but a marketing mistake for the Droid X on Verizon? Sure it might be tangentially related because AT&T and Verizon are carriers and Apple and Motorola are manufacturers, but this is just petty.

And what does this article on a Droid web site have to do with Android?

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/06/16...-up-with-cash/

Android is Apple's main competitor, and vice versa, so news on either is interesting and relevant to both.
post #36 of 97
#verizonfail
http://www.ipadweek.ly/ - iPad News, Reviews, Apps and Accessories by iPad Weekly
Reply
http://www.ipadweek.ly/ - iPad News, Reviews, Apps and Accessories by iPad Weekly
Reply
post #37 of 97
More like HemaROID.....

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

Reply

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

Reply
post #38 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeath View Post

EDIT: I think the biggest thing here is the question of what this has to do with Apple or AT&T. Maybe something talking about AT&T announcing 2 Android handsets in a week and what that means for the iPhone, but a marketing mistake for the Droid X on Verizon? Sure it might be tangentially related because AT&T and Verizon are carriers and Apple and Motorola are manufacturers, but this is just petty.

One mistake is forgivable. But when there's a long string of mistaken marketing information, that becomes relevant. And since Android handsets are competing with Apple's iPhone, what makes you think it's NOT relevant?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #39 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

His review is consistent with everything I've seen and read about Android.

Next time try not to read, but to use the device.
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
Reply
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
Reply
post #40 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post

For me Android's biggest problem is one company makes the operating system and another company makes the hardware and tweeks the operating system to their hardware. (Except for Nexus 1).This for me has always been one of Apples's strongest points. The hardware and software are made for each other and each work well together. RIM does it and does it well, and Palm does it and does it well. (Maybe Nokia too I'm not sure). But to me Apple has the best hardware and software combination in all their products.

Nexus One made by ... HTC, not Google

RIM is loosing the marketshare. Palm? Where is Palm? There is no Palm anymore. You don't know about Nokia (by the way, it's loosing marketshare too). Windows is struggling, but I'm sure that Windows Phone 7 will be successful.
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
Reply
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon corrects Droid X ad error touting 720p screen