or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple updates MobileMe, releases Find My iPhone app
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple updates MobileMe, releases Find My iPhone app

post #1 of 64
Thread Starter 
Apple on Friday debuted its new interface for the MobileMe subscription service, sporting a new look for its me.com e-mail and adding a Find My iPhone application for tracking a lost handset on iOS devices.

The new MobileMe Mail has been in beta since May for users who chose to opt in. The update features a new widescreen view interface, improved performance, server-side e-mail rules, a formatting toolbar for adding rich text to e-mails, and new SSL security when composing and sending e-mail.

Apple provided a summary of what's new in the latest MobileMe Mail web application, including new features that were added after the beta went live:

Widescreen and compact views. When reading your mail at me.com, the new widescreen view lets you see more of each message with less scrolling. Choose compact view to hide your folders or classic view to see more of your message list.

Rules to keep your email organized everywhere. Mail rules help you reduce inbox clutter by automatically filing messages into folders you select ahead of time. Set them up at me.com, and your rules organize your incoming email on the web and everywhere else on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, and PC.

Single-click archiving. Click the Archive button and the selected message is quickly filed into the Archive folder where it's always available for future reference.

Formatting toolbar. You can create great-looking email messages using formatting buttons to bold or italicize text, change font color, insert images, and more. You can even create formatted web links to hide long URLs.

Faster performance. Mail at me.com loads your inbox and messages faster. And with interface refinements such as the ability to scroll through your entire inbox without having to manually click to load the next set of messages, you'll be able to work more efficiently.

Increased security with SSL. With MobileMe Mail, accessing your email on the web is more secure than ever. Your inbox is protected to prevent anyone from eavesdropping on your webmail. As always, you receive SSL protection when you use your MobileMe Mail account on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, and PC.

Support for external email addresses (new since the beta). Reading all your email in one place is easy with MobileMe Mail. You can receive email from another service by having the email forwarded to your me.com address.* And when you reply to a message using webmail, you can choose to send it from the address it was sent to, or from your MobileMe account.

Improved junk mail filtering (new since the beta). MobileMe Mail places suspected spam messages directly in the Junk folder. If you see an email that you actually want, click the "Not Junk" button on me.com. MobileMe moves the message to your Inbox and makes sure that messages from that sender are not sent to your Junk folder again.
Apple on Friday also released the new Find My iPhone application. Released as both an iPhone and iPad app (iTunes link), it allows iOS users to track a lost handset while on the go with a separate Apple mobile device.



MobileMe subscribers sign in with their member name and password to locate their missing device on a map, and have the handset display a message or sound. Users can also remotely lock the device to protect their privacy, or wipe it to permanently delete data if it's believed the phone is lost forever.



The application will automatically sign users out after 15 minutes. The 2.1MB download requires iOS 3.1.3 or later, and supports English, French, German and Japanese. Features of the application, according to Apple, include:

Locate your iPhone or IPad on a map
Display a message and optionally play a sound for two minutes at full volume even if your device is set to silent
Remotely set a passcode lock on your device (or lock it using your existing passcode)
Remotely wipe your device to permanently erase all of your personal data
MobileMe from Apple requires a $99-per-year subscription. It is available with a 60-day free trial for new users.
post #2 of 64
Great update. The external e-mail support is a welcomed feature. Put everything in one place, even when on the go.

I also suspect that they increased the speed of iDisk, at least here in the Netherlands.
iMac 24" early 2008 | iBook G4 12" late 2004 | iPhone 3G 3.5" mid 2008
Reply
iMac 24" early 2008 | iBook G4 12" late 2004 | iPhone 3G 3.5" mid 2008
Reply
post #3 of 64
I think people should stop saying 'for tracking a lost handsets.' Why does it have to be lost? I have used it quite a few times to see where my wife was when she was traveling by logging in to her Mobile Me account. Last year it was invaluable to me when she had to journey alone by ferry and bus from Martha's Vineyard to Lincoln New Hampshire. It was very comforting to see exactly where she was at all times and know exactly when to drive to the bus drop off point to collect her. The accuracy of her 3Gs was astounding.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #4 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think people should stop saying 'for tracking a lost handsets.' Why does it have to be lost? I have used it quite a few times to see where my wife was when she was traveling by logging in to her Mobile Me account. Last year it was invaluable to me when she had to journey alone by ferry and bus from Martha's Vineyard to Lincoln New Hampshire. It was very comforting to see exactly where she was at all times and know exactly when to drive to the bus drop off point to collect her. The accuracy of her 3Gs was astounding.

Now that is cool.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #5 of 64
Nice!
post #6 of 64
People still use MobileMe... Seriously?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #7 of 64
The big icons popping up when you click on the cloud icon is pretty, but now I have click, move my cursor, click again just to change services. Stylish, but unnecessary. An interface no no.
post #8 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

People still use MobileMe... Seriously?

Beats everything else.

@AppleZilla: that seems unnecessary indeed. Good point.
iMac 24" early 2008 | iBook G4 12" late 2004 | iPhone 3G 3.5" mid 2008
Reply
iMac 24" early 2008 | iBook G4 12" late 2004 | iPhone 3G 3.5" mid 2008
Reply
post #9 of 64
This is an underwhelming update. MM need a considerable overhaul to be a stand out product, and not an incremental one. I particularly dislike the new mail interface, why do mail titles have to be crammed in an ipad like interface on such a small column? There should be an option at least to expand that, but to be frank the way they had them before was far better, plenty of horizontal margins for both mail titles and the mail itself that was split in two, now you can't see neither that well both the titles are crammed and the mails are crammed.

Dissapointing.
post #10 of 64
This is an underwhelming update. MM need a considerable overhaul to be a stand out product, and not an incremental one. I particularly dislike the new mail interface, why do mail titles have to be crammed in an ipad like interface on such a small column? There should be an option at least to expand that, but to be frank the way they had them before was far better, plenty of horizontal margins for both mail titles and the mail itself that was split in two, now you can't see neither that well both the titles are crammed and the mails are crammed.

Dissapointing.
post #11 of 64
I just tried the Find My iPhone app. I don't know what they did, but it is Much faster than through the browser on my Mac and much more accurate. It targeted a point within ten or twenty feet of me in about thirty seconds. Nice.
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think people should stop saying 'for tracking a lost handsets.' Why does it have to be lost? I have used it quite a few times to see where my wife was when she was traveling by logging in to her Mobile Me account. Last year it was invaluable to me when she had to journey alone by ferry and bus from Martha's Vineyard to Lincoln New Hampshire. It was very comforting to see exactly where she was at all times and know exactly when to drive to the bus drop off point to collect her. The accuracy of her 3Gs was astounding.


Yeah, I know. Just the other day I used it to see which Johns my wife was with. It's invaluable in tracking/preventing her prostitution. Plus, I can keep tabs on her, Sleeping With The Enemy-style! Ahhh...the summertime. I come home, burn the sheets, and smell her dinner of new potatoes and pot roast. Then I smack her around and get her some flowers to apologize for our "quarrel."

Isn't technology great?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #13 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

People still use MobileMe... Seriously?

Me ex was on my att plan(2 iphones), and then we broke up. I asked her to terminate her att line and she refused too. Then since she knew my password she logged into itunes and ordered like $30 worth of songs(on my account).
I called her and asked her why she was doing that and she told me to go to hell,and said"what are you gonna do about?" i told her to give me 5 mins lol
Mobile me----> Remote Wipe!!!!!
10 mins later she called me crying and apologizing :-)
So mobile me rocks!!!!!
post #14 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

People still use MobileMe... Seriously?

I would pay £1 a week just for decent ad-free push/devices synced email. Getting the rest thrown in for a further £7 a year is a bonus. But then I understand the difference between value and price.
post #15 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 2.1MB download requires iOS 3.1.3 or later...

What am I missing? What gets downloaded? And downloaded to what?

Also, I've tried three times now and it cannot find my phone which is sitting right next to me on my desk. It still hasn't delivered the message I sent to it either. I've never had a problem with the service until this.
post #16 of 64
I'm also glad they separated Find My iPhone from the Accounts info section. but the icons on top would be better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

The big icons popping up when you click on the cloud icon is pretty, but now I have click, move my cursor, click again just to change services. Stylish, but unnecessary. An interface no no.

That was my take.



PS: I still have two issues with Find My iPhone that I'd like addressed.
  1. Add Find My Mac. You can do it via WiFi but adding a GPS chip to Macs would be inexpensive and make it considerably more accurate. Orbicule's Undercover is pretty good for what it is but it can't possibly be as integrated as Apple could make it. Note that Geo Location was added to Safari 5 and has been in Chrome for awhile. This could assist with that and other aspects of your system, for example, weather and movie widgets.
  2. If I'm in an iPhone that is unlocked I can turn off Find My iPhone without having to input the PIN number. This should be required to turn it on and off as a security precaution. Also, it shouldn't require Mail be enabled and setup in a certain way to use it unless that also requires a PIN to turn on and off. This is basic security.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

What am I missing? What gets downloaded? And downloaded to what?

The Find My iPhone app gets downloaded. They stated this in the article and linked to it in the App Store.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-...376101648?mt=8
Quote:
Also, I've tried three times now and it cannot find my phone which is sitting right next to me on my desk. It still hasn't delivered the message I sent to it either. I've never had a problem with the service until this.

Are you settings correct on your iPhone?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #18 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

me ex was on my att plan(2 iphones), and then we broke up. I asked her to terminate her att line and she refused too. Then since she knew my password she logged into itunes and ordered like $30 worth of songs(on my account).
I called her and asked her why she was doing that and she told me to go to hell,and said"what are you gonna do about?" i told her to give me 5 mins lol
mobile me----> remote wipe!!!!!
10 mins later she called me crying and apologizing :-)
so mobile me rocks!!!!!

Sweet!
post #19 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The Find My iPhone app gets downloaded. They stated this in the article and linked to it in the App Store.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-...376101648?mt=8
Are you settings correct on your iPhone?

I get it now. I thought they meant adding the Find My iPhone to the MobileMe service (which is strange because it's been there for a while now).

I just got my notification after about 15 minutes and it can now find my phone. Maybe the new service was just bogged down with everyone trying it out.
post #20 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I get it now. I thought they meant adding the Find My iPhone to the MobileMe service (which is strange because it's been there for a while now).

I just got my notification after about 15 minutes and it can now find my phone. Maybe the new service was just bogged down with everyone trying it out.

Good. I was surprised that you asked at all. Have you had your morning coffee yet?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #21 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I particularly dislike the new mail interface, why do mail titles have to be crammed in an ipad like interface on such a small column? There should be an option at least to expand that....

You can, go try it again but properly this time.
post #22 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

Me ex was on my att plan(2 iphones), and then we broke up. I asked her to terminate her att line and she refused too. Then since she knew my password she logged into itunes and ordered like $30 worth of songs(on my account).
I called her and asked her why she was doing that and she told me to go to hell,and said"what are you gonna do about?" i told her to give me 5 mins lol
Mobile me----> Remote Wipe!!!!!
10 mins later she called me crying and apologizing :-)
So mobile me rocks!!!!!

I'm glad you resolved the issue but you should have changed your passwords right away or not let them get known. Possibly your bank cards, name and location, but that's up to you.

I use 1Password to store and create complex passwords that are unique to each site I visit and not capable to being easily memorized if seen. There is a slight inconvenience with the process but I think the added security far outweighs the risk of only having a few easily remembered passwords.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #23 of 64
Still no subscribed calendars appearing in MM calendar.

I'm disappointed.
post #24 of 64
I mean the Mail, Calendar and Contacts web-apps. Who are they for?

Everyone who uses Mobile Me has "zero" need for those apps. Zero.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #25 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I mean the Mail, Calendar and Contacts web-apps. Who are they for?

Everyone who uses Mobile Me has "zero" need for those apps. Zero.

er I use them regularly. sorry... perhaps your needs are different from mine?
post #26 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I mean the Mail, Calendar and Contacts web-apps. Who are they for?

Everyone who uses Mobile Me has "zero" need for those apps. Zero.

-1

Everyone? I need mine quite a lot.

OK, I can do without the contacts one, but there would be complaints if it wasn't there. I can see a theoretical usage whereby if I was using the phone I could lookup address details without having to use speakerphone mode.

Calendar, well it's nice to have it open full screen without having to use the tiny iphone display when I'm at work and don;t have access to my Mac

Mail - self explanatory, given a choice I would rather use webmail then my iPhone to reply to anything that might need more than just a couple of sentences. Webmail gives me that choice. I can also create alias emails which I can't do in the iPhone client. And manage my rules.

Etc etc.
post #27 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I mean the Mail, Calendar and Contacts web-apps. Who are they for?

Everyone who uses Mobile Me has "zero" need for those apps. Zero.

Sorry for the double post, but I had to come back to this.

What a dumb post. Possibly the dumbest I've seen in a long while.

Let's rearrange it just to see how dumb it is. Let say we are talking about Gmail. We can all get our Gmail, google calendars and contacts lists on our desktops, and on our phones using push and/or exchange etc just like with MobileMe.

So what on earth are the Gmail/Calendar/Contacts web sites for? Surely there is zero need for them. No?

No.

Dumb.
post #28 of 64
This was really needed! As most of apple's software is agregiously buggy and virus prone.
HOWEVER,
MobileMe is far from what the average MSN user consider tollerable!
post #29 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Yeah, I know. Just the other day I used it to see which Johns my wife was with. It's invaluable in tracking/preventing her prostitution. Plus, I can keep tabs on her, Sleeping With The Enemy-style! Ahhh...the summertime. I come home, burn the sheets, and smell her dinner of new potatoes and pot roast. Then I smack her around and get her some flowers to apologize for our "quarrel."

Isn't technology great?

I'd ignore this reply to my serious post normally but as you have logged over 11,000 posts I have to wonder was your post humor, sarcasm or what?

If you are inferring it was some breach of privacy on my part, I assure you I had to have my wife's permission to track her, it made her feel better knowing I was. I even sent her screen shots of where she was on the map at times (she isn't into using Google maps on her iPhone).

I am sure the new software will have some permission based system. In the case of kids I'd want to track them permission or not in this day and age. I can see this from Apple and other manufacturers saving lives soon if it hasn't already.

I hope it was humor on your part and you forgot the smile.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #30 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm glad you resolved the issue but you should have changed your passwords right away or not let them get known. Possibly your bank cards, name and location, but that's up to you.

I use 1Password to store and create complex passwords that are unique to each site I visit and not capable to being easily memorized if seen. There is a slight inconvenience with the process but I think the added security far outweighs the risk of only having a few easily remembered passwords.

It is becoming a nightmare isn't it. I tried 1Password but found it too confusing for my befuddled brain. I have resorted to a text file of all my passes which I keep encrypted and stored on a cloud. I'd welcome a retina scan and thumb print scan on my Mac ... both incase someone cuts my thumb off to get at my Mac. Oh wait a minute ..
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It is becoming a nightmare isn't it. I tried 1Password but found it too confusing for my befuddled brain. I have resorted to a text file of all my passes which I keep encrypted and stored on a cloud. I'd welcome a retina scan and thumb print scan on my Mac ... both incase someone cuts my thumb off to get at my Mac. Oh wait a minute ..

That's fine, too, especially since you keep it encrypted. Keychain Access is also stored as an encrypted file and offers a password generator, in case one isn't aware. What do you use to keep the file encrypted?

I agree that 1Password can be confusing and the app itself does have some wonky aspects to it. I've tried it a couple times before it finally clicked that I need and love this app. Once you get the hang of it it really does make things easier and more secure. Your method, which I used to use, makes things more secure but doesn't have the added measure of making it easier to add the username and password to a website. Luckily, the time I was using the demo again fell within the time Daring Fireball was sponsored by them and was able to get half off.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #32 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'd ignore this reply to my serious post normally but as you have logged over 11,000 posts I have to wonder was your post humor, sarcasm or what?

If you are inferring it was some breach of privacy on my part, I assure you I had to have my wife's permission to track her, it made her feel better knowing I was. I even sent her screen shots of where she was on the map at times (she isn't into using Google maps on her iPhone).

I am sure the new software will have some permission based system. In the case of kids I'd want to track them permission or not in this day and age. I can see this from Apple and other manufacturers saving lives soon if it hasn't already.

I hope it was humor on your part and you forgot the smile.


Dude...you had to ask? Yes, it's humor.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #33 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think people should stop saying 'for tracking a lost handsets.' Why does it have to be lost? I have used it quite a few times to see where my wife was when she was traveling by logging in to her Mobile Me account. Last year it was invaluable to me when she had to journey alone by ferry and bus from Martha's Vineyard to Lincoln New Hampshire. It was very comforting to see exactly where she was at all times and know exactly when to drive to the bus drop off point to collect her. The accuracy of her 3Gs was astounding.

If they advertised that it could be used to track folks, the privacy folks would be screaming foul.

So they only mention 'if you lose your iDevice' and let the shady shadies think up the rest.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #34 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

-1

Everyone? I need mine quite a lot.

OK, I can do without the contacts one, but there would be complaints if it wasn't there. I can see a theoretical usage whereby if I was using the phone I could lookup address details without having to use speakerphone mode.

Calendar, well it's nice to have it open full screen without having to use the tiny iphone display when I'm at work and don;t have access to my Mac

Mail - self explanatory, given a choice I would rather use webmail then my iPhone to reply to anything that might need more than just a couple of sentences. Webmail gives me that choice. I can also create alias emails which I can't do in the iPhone client. And manage my rules.

Etc etc.

I actually use them quite a bit too. The two way syncing OTA with calendar/contacts is much better than Google sync. I also host a personal website from it, which with a low end host can cost around $83/year.

Just pay for a renewal through eBay or amazon and it is much more palatable.
post #35 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Sorry for the double post, but I had to come back to this.

What a dumb post. Possibly the dumbest I've seen in a long while.

You think you're the majority, but you're the minority. Google doesn't do native apps like Apple does, Google doesn't sell computer hardware and don't have a PC operating system.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #36 of 64
I really do wonder why there are now two clicks to switch applications. I doesn't make sense and is absolutely un-Apple like. However, I do suspect that they add more icons with the functionality of the 'cloud' icon? Such as e.g. an iWorks button, and then you can switch between iWorks apps? Would make sense then. Maybe iWorks would then be in the 'paid' package, if part of me.com really becomes free at some point.

And I want to add: I do happily pay for a service with a decent interface and zero ads! Why the heck to people think everything on the web needs to be free? If there is a good and ad-free application, it does cost money.
post #37 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Friday debuted its new interface for the MobileMe subscription service, sporting a new look for its me.com e-mail and adding a Find My iPhone application for tracking a lost handset on iOS devices....

Wow, this is not only not impressive it's got some serious bugs.

I just tried it on my iPhone 3Gs, while sitting in my office with the 3Gs in my hand and my iPad on the desk in front of me. It failed to find the iPhone 3Gs in my hand or the iPad on the desk, but it *did* find my iPhone 3G (it says), even though my 3G is turned off and in a box in a closet back at home.

What's worse, is the location it gives for my old 3G that it "found" is actually the location of my partner's phone in another town! Now that phone is a 3Gs not a 3G and is not even on my MobileMe account (they have their own completely separate account paid for with a different Visa, different name etc.).

So the MobileMe service not only failed to find my gear, it inadvertently gave me information on someone else's phone, mixing it up with my phone which is a different model on a different account. That's an astounding failure and a security breach as well.

How could anyone trust this feature if it can do that?
post #38 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallmerSteve View Post

This was really needed! As most of apple's software is agregiously buggy and virus prone.
HOWEVER,
MobileMe is far from what the average MSN user consider tollerable!


Steve-o, the word you are attempting to harm yourself with is egregious, as in:

egregious
adj
1. outstandingly bad; flagrant an egregious lie
2. Archaic distinguished; eminent
[from Latin ēgregius outstanding (literally: standing out from the herd), from ē- out + grex flock, herd]


the rest is just incomprehensible troll-speak and not worth correcting.

post #39 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I mean the Mail, Calendar and Contacts web-apps. Who are they for?

Everyone who uses Mobile Me has "zero" need for those apps. Zero.

I can understand stuffe's position even though I don't care for the way he stated it.

I have used every single one of those web-apps at times. With the advent of the iPhone this really hasn't been needed as I get all these things on my iPhone which is almost always on me.

There may be some people at work who use it to connect with their Mac's info at home or some people simply don't like the native apps for Windows and Mac OS for Mail, Calendar and Contacts. These web apps might only be used by the minority but I am sure they are used, even if just a last resort option by most.

By saying they have "zero" need you make it an absolute which is absolutely untrue because, I, a MobileMe user do have a need for the web apps.


Furthermore, i'd like them to re-add the Bookmarks option to MobileMe. This is what I most often want to use when I access some foreign computer and wish to bring up a saved website. I'd rather log in to MobileMe to access it then have to type the address in manually by looking at my iPhone or having to Google search keywords until I find the correct site.

They could even use a nifty windowed aspect for sites with an Address Bar and Bookmarks Bar at the top to mimic the look and feel of Safari. If you were to go into Full Screen mode, as most browsers have, it could look almost identical to Safari with little effort.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #40 of 64
So, the find my iPhone feature is great and all, but I'm so obsessed with my iPhone that I never misplace it so I don't end up using it much. Now if Apple were to release "Find My Wallet" or "Find My Keys" I could see getting a lot of use out of that!

Joking aside, does anyone else find it bizarre that Apple has released a widescreen mail layout for MobileMe before offering it in Mail.app? Letterbox is great, but it would be better if it was a built-in feature.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple updates MobileMe, releases Find My iPhone app