or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First Look: Apple's iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Look: Apple's iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch - Page 2

post #41 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

I'm just wondering whether to update today/tonight, or let this cook out in the wild for a week or so before upgrading? I've had great results on my MacPro at home with updates and upgrades, but this will be my first time thru a major upgrade on the iPhone. I have to say though that the new features sound incredibly enticing, especially being able to background audio apps. Maybe I can finally listen to Slacker/Pandora while running with iMapMyRun going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What the he'll are you all counting down to? The moment in which you wont be able to use a single damn feature of os 4 because there has been no effort of the part of developers or apple to get app store apps ready? Be prepared for disappointment because you are not going to see a bunch of updates suddenly appear after the os goes live. Its going to be a long sad launch with bad PR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

WTF are you debating? Its just software. Run the update, use it. End of "dilemma"

multi?
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #42 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

I'm just wondering whether to update today/tonight, or let this cook out in the wild for a week or so before upgrading? I've had great results on my MacPro at home with updates and upgrades, but this will be my first time thru a major upgrade on the iPhone. I have to say though that the new features sound incredibly enticing, especially being able to background audio apps. Maybe I can finally listen to Slacker/Pandora while running with iMapMyRun going.

The bad part about the first day is slow servers. If you catch it at the wrong time, it could tie your phone up for hours if the servers are slow- once you start you have to see it through to the end.
It is probably best to wait until the end of your day to start the process.
post #43 of 179
I'd like to think there's still some surprise little features to be seen that weren't included in the betas as there was no need for devs to see them
post #44 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

The bad part about the first day is slow servers. If you catch it at the wrong time, it could tie your phone up for hours if the servers are slow- once you start you have to see it through to the end.
It is probably best to wait until the end of your day to start the process.

There may be third-party sites such as iClarified that may mirror the IPSW. I hope these come to the rescue.

Well, not "mirror" as such, but they provide a direct link to the Apple-hosted IPSW file (hint: use Firefox or Safari may try and expand the IPSW as a .zip file).

This way, you don't have to leave your phone connected, just download the IPSW, then only when fully downloaded place the IPSW in the appropriate directory, update, Boom! iOS4 on your phone.
post #45 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

There may be third-party sites such as iClarified that may mirror the IPSW. I hope these come to the rescue.

I still think everybody should wait until later this evening to ensure that my 8am PST download goes smoothly...
post #46 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

The bad part about the first day is slow servers. If you catch it at the wrong time, it could tie your phone up for hours if the servers are slow- once you start you have to see it through to the end.
It is probably best to wait until the end of your day to start the process.

Akami will be mirroring this and should have little problem, I imagine that the large ISPs may have internal network mirror too, as it will save money on peering. I would expect little delay, but really, if ever there was a case for Bit Torrent, this is it.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #47 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

My daughter just received a Motorola Backflip last week - and it's running Android 1.5. Motorola says that they hope to be able to update it to 2.1 'some day', but they're not even talking about 2.2.


Why did your daughter buy that crummy phone? She could have gotten a Nexus One if she wanted a good ATT Android phone.
post #48 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What the he'll are you all counting down to? The moment in which you wont be able to use a single damn feature of os 4 because there has been no effort of the part of developers or apple to get app store apps ready? Be prepared for disappointment because you are not going to see a bunch of updates suddenly appear after the os goes live. Its going to be a long sad launch with bad PR.

Huh? I can use Multitasking, Unified Inbox, a whole bunch of cool iOS4 stuff right away:
http://www.tipb.com/2010/06/14/ios-4-walkthrough/

I'm not a big Apps person anyway, so the iOS update will be nice.
post #49 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by benice View Post

Apple actually said there was 100 new features in the iOS update so what are the rest?

It still says it on the Apple site and yet this list can only point to about 30 items.


You assume that Apple is using the word "features" in the typical manner. But the word can mean anything Apple wants it to mean. What you would call an "under the hood minor bug fix" may be what Apple calls one of the 100 major new features.
post #50 of 179
Just a few hours away! 6.30am PST
post #51 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What the he'll are you all counting down to? The moment in which you wont be able to use a single damn feature of os 4 because there has been no effort of the part of developers or apple to get app store apps ready? Be prepared for disappointment because you are not going to see a bunch of updates suddenly appear after the os goes live. Its going to be a long sad launch with bad PR.

Huh? I think I've downloaded at least a half dozen app updates that specifically have iOS 4 update listed as the reason for the update. Now some of this is most likely just for iOS 4 compatibility issues, but shouldn't iOS 4 run all existing apps without need for any modification? Assuming that is the case, why am I downloading app updates that list iOS 4 as the update purpose?

I agree that the bulk of the iOS 4 apps are going to be weeks or months down the road, but I think there is a lot out there already that has been updated for iOS 4. I assume that you are one of the naysayers of the iPad and you used the same argument there? Well, there were plenty of apps available for the iPad at launch, and I just recently saw an article reporting that there is now over 10k iPad specific apps. I think we'll start seeing plenty of iOS 4 specific apps in the next few weeks.
post #52 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

a good ATT ... phone.

There is no such thing, not even teh iphone, after all, it is still on ATT
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #53 of 179
I think this is a very solid looking release and can't wait to tease my wife with the new features she can't use-at least until Apple ships her new Iphone 4 which is due mid July.

I think the item I am most waiting for is to use infinite tunes in background mode. I have been using backgrounder to do this but I would rather use Apples solution over the hack.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #54 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

So there is a huge number of Android devices out there which are artificially capped in performance thanks to poor software optimisations (if you can get 2x improvements on the same hardware that to me suggests the VM wasn't very well optimised to begin with**). If Apple had the same problem there would be a riot, yet for Android it gets a free pass.

My understanding is that the speedup is due to the Java VM going from purely interpreted mode to a JIT compiler. (Remember, most Android apps are Java apps.)

I think Sun did this in the late 90's, so Android is doing a bit of catching up. But it should provide a significant boost in performance and probably battery life as well.
post #55 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Just a few hours away! 6.30am PST

6:30am? That'd be 8:30am here. Not happening yet here in the Southeast.
post #56 of 179
It's Tuesday the 22nd here :-)
post #57 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008

Just a few hours away! 6.30am PST

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekElectro View Post

6:30am? That'd be 8:30am here. Not happening yet here in the Southeast.

I meant it's 6.30am PST now. So, just a few hours away to the mystery time when Apple will drop the update, assumedly between 8am to 11am PST.
post #58 of 179
Waiting here with baited breath! I hope it comes soon! A great belated birthday present.
post #59 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Huh? I think I've downloaded at least a half dozen app updates that specifically have iOS 4 update listed as the reason for the update. Now some of this is most likely just for iOS 4 compatibility issues, but shouldn't iOS 4 run all existing apps without need for any modification? Assuming that is the case, why am I downloading app updates that list iOS 4 as the update purpose?

I agree that the bulk of the iOS 4 apps are going to be weeks or months down the road, but I think there is a lot out there already that has been updated for iOS 4. I assume that you are one of the naysayers of the iPad and you used the same argument there? Well, there were plenty of apps available for the iPad at launch, and I just recently saw an article reporting that there is now over 10k iPad specific apps. I think we'll start seeing plenty of iOS 4 specific apps in the next few weeks.

1. I don't believe for a second that there are even as many as half a dozen 4.0 ready apps in the app store. I guarantee you that won't even change, today.

2. All Apps Re supposed to run without the need for modification, but this is an outright lie from Apple, as many apps do not. iTeleport, Air Video, StreamtoMe, Call of Duty, to name a few. There are many more, just from my collection. Probably thousands total.

3. Apps should be ready first. The damn app store should be 4.0 ready before they even flip the switch today, as its completely false advertising. Nothing will work as advertised today, and ill be uselessly complaining to Apple about how they have no concept or concern for what's best. They did this with the iPad when developers had a lukewarm reaction to the SDK, and now it seems 4.0 has failed to garner much attention either. The majority of devs of the 225,000 apps are content to sit tight and count de moné with their 2.2.1 compatible apps.

/rant
post #60 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmcd View Post

It's Tuesday the 22nd here :-)

It's Monday 21st 9.45pm where I am :-) ... Which means you're in... New Zealand?
post #61 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

WTF are you debating? Its just software. Run the update, use it. End of "dilemma"

I disagree. Waiting is very valid, and likely will be my strategy. Anyone who suffered through updating their iPhone to 2.0 as soon as it launched knows exactly what I am talking about. It was a nightmare.
post #62 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Waiting here with baited breath! I hope it comes soon! A great belated birthday present.

Yay! All the excitement of a Keynote without the post-Keynote dissapointment
post #63 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I disagree. Waiting is very valid, and likely will be my strategy. Anyone who suffered through updating their iPhone to 2.0 as soon as it launched knows exactly what I am talking about. It was a nightmare.

As long as my iPhone doesn't get bricked and doesn't hang every few minutes, I'd be happy. I think. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for anything "shiny and new! and shiny!"
post #64 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It's Monday 21st 9.45pm where I am :-) ... Which means you're in... New Zealand?

Yep, that's exactly where I am (I just updated my location for AI).

Since I've got an iPhone dev account, I'm not really sure what I'm waiting for \
post #65 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What the he'll are you all counting down to? The moment in which you wont be able to use a single damn feature of os 4 because there has been no effort of the part of developers or apple to get app store apps ready? Be prepared for disappointment because you are not going to see a bunch of updates suddenly appear after the os goes live. Its going to be a long sad launch with bad PR.


Did your Wheaties get soggy this morning or what??!!

Sheesh!
post #66 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Did your Wheaties get soggy this morning or what??!!

Sheesh!

Not to mention the fact that iPhone developers are not allowed to submit apps compiled with the iOS4 SDK, so actually he's totally wrong. It's not our fault
post #67 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Did your Wheaties get soggy this morning or what??!!

Sheesh!

Sounds like pms has a case of the Monday grumpies! Office Space comes to mind... Not seriously knocking you, ...sorry, pmz, not pms. Just brought that movie to mind and it struck a funny bone.

The stuff you mention is irritating. It would be nice if they would get everything lined out first before pulling the trigger...
post #68 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

1. I don't believe for a second that there are even as many as half a dozen 4.0 ready apps in the app store. I guarantee you that won't even change, today.

2. All Apps Re supposed to run without the need for modification, but this is an outright lie from Apple, as many apps do not. iTeleport, Air Video, StreamtoMe, Call of Duty, to name a few. There are many more, just from my collection. Probably thousands total.

3. Apps should be ready first. The damn app store should be 4.0 ready before they even flip the switch today, as its completely false advertising. Nothing will work as advertised today, and ill be uselessly complaining to Apple about how they have no concept or concern for what's best. They did this with the iPad when developers had a lukewarm reaction to the SDK, and now it seems 4.0 has failed to garner much attention either. The majority of devs of the 225,000 apps are content to sit tight and count de moné with their 2.2.1 compatible apps.

/rant

You are fun to be around. Can we be best friends?

Seriously though, yes some apps won't be ready for awhile, but some already are. I don't use many apps myself, but of the 20 or so apps I have, I know that I have updated at least 4 in the last week or so that reported to be iOS 4 compatibility updates along with other bug fixes.

One thing to be aware of, if Apple waited to launch iOS 4 until all developers were ready, we would be waiting a year if not longer. Some developers are slackers. No one wants to wait for this to get the OS update. I think it comes down to user responsibility. If you are scared that your specific apps won't work after the update to 4.0, then don't update. Quit crying already.
post #69 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

1. I don't believe for a second that there are even as many as half a dozen 4.0 ready apps in the app store. I guarantee you that won't even change, today.

2. All Apps Re supposed to run without the need for modification, but this is an outright lie from Apple, as many apps do not. iTeleport, Air Video, StreamtoMe, Call of Duty, to name a few. There are many more, just from my collection. Probably thousands total.

3. Apps should be ready first. The damn app store should be 4.0 ready before they even flip the switch today, as its completely false advertising. Nothing will work as advertised today, and ill be uselessly complaining to Apple about how they have no concept or concern for what's best. They did this with the iPad when developers had a lukewarm reaction to the SDK, and now it seems 4.0 has failed to garner much attention either. The majority of devs of the 225,000 apps are content to sit tight and count de moné with their 2.2.1 compatible apps.

/rant

Seriously - one of the more impressive acts of vituperation outside of outright trolling. Gruber is right - the only thing worse than an anti-Apple troll is a disillusioned and bitter Apple supporter!

KIDDING!!!!!!

Someone needs a hug....c'mon. bring it in here. [[[[HUG]]]] OK that's enough, let's not get all Euro here...

post #70 of 179
Can anyone let me know how sluggish the new OS seems on a Iphone 3g?
post #71 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by erybovic View Post

Can anyone let me know how sluggish the new OS seems on a Iphone 3g?

Not sure... I've been waiting for the update. I'll post as soon as I know.
post #72 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by erybovic View Post

Can anyone let me know how sluggish the new OS seems on a Iphone 3g?

Can anyone tell us if they have been able to upgrade?
post #73 of 179
15:45 (07:45 PST) and here in the UK all is quiet on the 'check for update front' .....
post #74 of 179
I can't seem to find something I thought we were getting: Rotate Photo... could have sworn I saw that...
post #75 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

15:45 (07:45 PST) and here in the UK all is quiet on the 'check for update front' .....

I'm currently downloading iTunes so that I will be able to install iOS 4.0 on my 3GS.

The download is very slow - it peaked at about 100 kB/s. And given the bloated size of iTunes, it has already taken way too long.

Oh well. The first download that Apple sent me to was the 32 bit version. That too took long to download, and it would not install. I'm not sure why they auto-detected the wrong OS on my machine.

Only 5 minutes to go, so says the DL manager.
post #76 of 179
8 am still not there.

Off to bed, I'll check when I get up for work in 5 hours.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #77 of 179
Assume 10am PST cause that's usually when the keynotes start so they like doing stuff at 10am
post #78 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Assume 10am PST cause that's usually when the keynotes start so they like doing stuff at 10am

Many people on staff side come in between 8-9am, then give em an hour or 2 so 10am earliest I would say. Still don't see though where this was confirmed with Apple, where is AI getting this from?
post #79 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Many people on staff side come in between 8-9am, then give em an hour or 2 so 10am earliest I would say. Still don't see though where this was confirmed with Apple, where is AI getting this from?

Is it based on previous iOS x.0 really times?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #80 of 179
What are the features iOS 4 will pack in for the iPod 2nd Generation? I am not really clear on this. Can anyone advise?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First Look: Apple's iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch