or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T ships iPhone 4 preorders, first apps with Apple's iAd arrive

AT&T ships iPhone 4 preorders, first apps with Apple's iAd arrive

post #1 of 40
AT&T has begun shipping iPhone 4 preorders to customers who ordered through the wireless carrier, while the first applications supporting Apple's iAd mobile advertising network are now available with placeholders where the ads will appear when the service launches.

AT&T ships iPhone 4 preorders

Some AT&T customers checking the status of their iPhone 4 order have been notified that their order has shipped. The news follows Apple's own shipments of the iPhone 4, beginning over the weekend.

Some readers' orders show an arrival date of June 23 -- one day before the iPhone launch. For other product launches, shipments have been held to wait for the official launch date before delivery.

AT&T's verification systems for existing customers were bogged down last week on the first day of iPhone 4 preorders, making it difficult for customers to access the company's website or place an order for Apple's latest handset. AT&T is the exclusive wireless carrier of the iPhone in the U.S.

After the first day of availability, AT&T suspended preorders for iPhone 4, revealing that demand was ten times greater than for the iPhone 3GS. The company said that there were more than 13 million visits to its website on June 15. Apple also announced that the first day of preorders alone amounted to 600,000 purchases for iPhone 4.

First iAd apps arrive with temporary placeholders

The first applications featuring compatibility with Apple's new iAd mobile advertising network are now available on the App Store. However, iAd is not scheduled to launch until July 1, leaving the advertisements with placeholders for the time being.

The first apps to support iAd came from Avantar, developer of applications including White & Yellow Pages, AirYell, Munch, Showtimes, and OneTap movies.

Apple's iAd temporary placeholder banners. Screens via MacStories.

According to iLounge, the applications previously touted their compatibility with iAd on the App Store. Since then, the list of features have been revised to remove any reference to iAd.

Ads on iPhones running iOS 4 will show a banner with an Apple logo reading "Test Advertisement." The ads also feature the iAd logo in the corner, which Apple will use to distinguish its iAds -- which will offer in-app content rather than launching a browser -- from competitors.

Selecting a test advertisement pulls up a full-screen page that reads: "This Confirms That Test Ads Are Running Correctly." It features an option to close the ad with an 'X' in the top left corner, and a white Apple logo is displayed in the bottom right.
post #2 of 40
I wonder how many people will be leaving work early or staying home sick in order to get this thing as soon as it arrives on the doorstep. iPhone4 could cost this country billions in lost work time.
post #3 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I wonder how many people will be leaving work early or staying home sick in order to get this thing as soon as it arrives on the doorstep. iPhone4 could cost this country billions in lost work time.

Pfft that time's all wasted on Facebook anyways.
post #4 of 40
Quote:

Some customers can't wait to see all those great advertisements. Why is iAd not available on launch day?
post #5 of 40
I'm waiting for iAd-blocking apps to be released. And for the requirement that any app that includes ads will have to mention it in the app description.

I have a feeling I'll be waiting a long time.
post #6 of 40
Quote:

i will be 'working' from home that day
post #7 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster;

...but only a drop in the bucket compared to the loss of productivity due to Windows' marketshare.
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Some customers can't wait to see all those great advertisements. Why is iAd not available on launch day?

sponsors pay for iAds per quarter, with the 3rd quarter starting on July 1st. the only iAds you could see before July 1st would be for Apple products.
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I'm waiting for iAd-blocking apps to be released. And for the requirement that any app that includes ads will have to mention it in the app description.

not sure I understand your issue with iAd specifically. It sits in a free app as a clickable link that opens without disrupting the app (as described by Apple). YOU have to choose to CLICK on the iAd link, it doesn't auto-magically launch itself and disrupt your app.

So are you asking for an app that would keep you from choosing to click on an iAd link?

Color me confused.....

post #10 of 40
AT&T
No shipping notice yet from AT&T, but the one from the Apple Store store states it's in transit.

iAds
Since these use webcode can iAds be used on websites, too, or just in apps? I noticed that AI's new'y redesigned mobile site* uses AdMob.

* Thanks again for making it more usable. There does seem to be an issue with the links to the forum from the mobile site. I'm having to go to the full page and then click on the forum link to get access.

Quote:

They could have had it delivered to their work. I use a PO BOX for everything which AT&T will not deliver to, plus they require that your mailing address match your account and your CC/Debit card address match your AT&T account. I changed it all to match the hotel I'm staying at so there are options for people.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #11 of 40
my order [ordered in ATT store via handwritten carbon copies 10:00 am EST on the 15th]
says "in progress" with a ship date of 6/20/2010.
It includes a fed ex tracking number, but clicking on it brings me to a fed ex page with no information on that number.
post #12 of 40
Quote:

Why would that even be important?

post #13 of 40
Oh Boy! Ads! You know your platform has become mainstream when they put custom ads in the programs you buy. Wooo Hoo!
post #14 of 40
fedex:
Ship date Jun 20, 2010
Estimated delivery Jun 23, 2010 by 10:30 AM
Mac Fantatic & web designer: http://www.modernmagic.com
http://www.about.me/jeffmayland http://www.modellabs.comhttp://www.primocraft.com2.53/4GB Macbook Pro 15", Mac Mini HTPC, iphone4,iphone1
Mac Fantatic & web designer: http://www.modernmagic.com
http://www.about.me/jeffmayland http://www.modellabs.comhttp://www.primocraft.com2.53/4GB Macbook Pro 15", Mac Mini HTPC, iphone4,iphone1
post #15 of 40
Quote:

I'd like to know how many man-years of labor costs AT&T is spending on this debacle...
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernmagic View Post

fedex:
Ship date Jun 20, 2010
Estimated delivery Jun 23, 2010 by 10:30 AM

No. It will be held at the FedEx facility until released for delivery on the 24th. A similar thing happened last year with the 3GS.
post #17 of 40
Quote:

Shouldn't you be working?

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #18 of 40
Quote:

My guess is that they will be available immediately, but will never be sold on the iStore.
post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

sponsors pay for iAds per quarter, with the 3rd quarter starting on July 1st. the only iAds you could see before July 1st would be for Apple products.

I see your point. Prorating for the extra few days would be like, really, really hard to do.
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

...but only a drop in the bucket compared to the loss of productivity due to Windows' marketshare.

LOL. Funny because it's true.
post #21 of 40
The iPhone ordered from Apple is shipping directly out of Hong Kong, so the "estimated" arrival date of June 23rd may be premature, but it may also depend on where you live. From Hong Kong, it would arrive in CA before it would arrive in NY, for example.

I, for one, will be WORKING on that day. I do not believe in missing work for a phone. Why would it cost any company money when employees have earned sick time? If an employee didn't have incurred sick time, they would not get paid anyway.
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Why would that even be important?

Because it enhances the UX.
post #23 of 40
Quote:

Oooookay... and were you saying things like this about other advertising platforms?
I hope you're not a fan of free apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The iPhone ordered from Apple is shipping directly out of Hong Kong, so the "estimated" arrival date of June 23rd may be premature, but it may also depend on where you live. From Hong Kong, it would arrive in CA before it would arrive in NY, for example.

FedEx does a great job of getting the packages where they belong on time. There are mistakes, but overall they've got a great track record shipping Apple products. I've certainly never had a problem myself. What people will see, though, is that the nearest distribution center will get the iPhone on time for delivery (on, say, the 23rd), but will actually hold it until the 24th.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #24 of 40
Quote:

I see your point. Prorating for the extra few days would be like, really, really hard to do.

it's like, really really hard to tell your sponsors that their July 1st deadline for having ads ready is being moved up 9 days, and it's like, really really hard to rewrite contracts to include 9 prorated days in only 9 days without like, having your lawyers charge you more than you would get in ad revenue.
post #25 of 40
Well since the 15th I have had "processing" listed on my att account...today I got the order shipped email! WHOOT!
post #26 of 40
I would prefer if they pushed the 'close' button away from the edge a little to allow easier clicking to close the iAd:

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #27 of 40
Quote:

it's like, really really hard to tell your sponsors that their July 1st deadline for having ads ready is being moved up 9 days, and it's like, really really hard to rewrite contracts to include 9 prorated days in only 9 days without like, having your lawyers charge you more than you would get in ad revenue.

There is nothing hard about telling your customer that if they are ready, they can opt to start running the ad early.

There is nothing hard about putting a clause into the original contract that contemplates iAd availability on something other than the first day of a calendar quarter.

You don't write softtware (or contracts), do you?
post #28 of 40
Quote:

my order [ordered in ATT store via handwritten carbon copies 10:00 am EST on the 15th]
says "in progress" with a ship date of 6/20/2010.
It includes a fed ex tracking number, but clicking on it brings me to a fed ex page with no information on that number.

I got the same when I checked this morning. I originally pre-ordered mine at an AT&T store on the first day (late afternoon EST). The AT&T person said I might not get my iPhone until the 25th or 28th when I signed up.
post #29 of 40
Quote:
After the first day of availability, AT&T suspended preorders for iPhone 4, revealing that demand was ten times greater than for the iPhone 3GS.

Any word on when ATT will start accepting orders again? I am in limbo. I need to "add a line to an existing account", which the apple site can't do.
post #30 of 40
Is it too early to analyze why the iPhone 4 is selling so well? I attribute it to iOS 4, facetime, and dual cameras of course but also I think that the Gizmodo debacle played a large part in piquing the public's sense of intrigueand generating more interest in the media than for the 3G and 3GS releases... Any thoughts?
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

Is it too early to analyze why the iPhone 4 is doing selling so well? I attribute it to iOS 4, facetime, and dual cameras of course but also I think that the Gizmodo debacle played a large part in piquing the public's sense of intrigueand generating more interest in the media than for the 3G and 3GS releases... Any thoughts?

1. I really don't think it's too early to analyze why it's selling so well, there is a huge quantity of iPhone users that were eligible for upgrades what have been holding off and with iPhone 4 there is a huge improvement in feature set, I know several 2.0, 2.5 and 3 users that are all upgrading. (*not including many 3Gs users like myself). iPhones bring a very nice return in open sale on the internet so in many cases users are breaking even or shelling out very little cash to upgrade at this time.

2. That rag Jizzmado had very little to do with actual sales, if you read their site, you would see if anything they are more negative than positive, you had to attribute anything to them I would say their 'fan base' is mainly adroidbois and they contribute negative items 'of interest' and rumor mongering. As said in Kelly's Heroes "Negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves baby, don't get you any where".
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

1. I really don't think it's too early to analyze why it's selling so well, there is a huge quantity of iPhone users that were eligible for upgrades what have been holding off and with iPhone 4 there is a huge improvement in feature set, I know several 2.0, 2.5 and 3 users that are all upgrading. (*not including many 3Gs users like myself). iPhones bring a very nice return in open sale on the internet so in many cases users are breaking even or shelling out very little cash to upgrade at this time.

2. That rag Jizzmado had very little to do with actual sales, if you read their site, you would see if anything they are more negative than positive, you had to attribute anything to them I would say their 'fan base' is mainly adroidbois and they contribute negative items 'of interest' and rumor mongering. As said in Kelly's Heroes "Negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves baby, don't get you any where".

1. - Very true
2. - Ah. When the Gizmodo story broke it was all over CNN, Fox News, ABC News, etc, etc. Not too sure if anyone actually navigated over to Gizmodo to see what they had to say but I know for a good few days the media was saturated with the iPhone 4...As they say, even bad publicity is good publicity and I think this is true in this case too.

Incidentally, what new features do you think the iPhone 5th generation will have? I feel like it can't possibly be as revolutionary as the features in iPhone 4...
post #33 of 40
I placed my order around 7 a.m. the day of the pre-order...as of 6/18 my status is "processing" ...I have a Premier Business account...as of right now it has not shipped, which is very annoying and disappointing ...my credit card was charged on 6/17, however...
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfies167 View Post

I placed my order around 7 a.m. the day of the pre-order...as of 6/18 my staus is "processing" ...I haev a Premier Business account...as of right now it has not shipped, which is very annoying and disappointing ...my credit card was charged on 6/17, however...

If this is your biggest problem in life I would say that, with all due respect, you are doing fine.
post #35 of 40
my AT&T link was just updated to show "Shipped". FedEx tracking info still not in the FedEx system, but no worries. I know it will get to my house on Thursday.
i pre-ordered on the 15th @ 2:15pm EST at my local AT&T store.
post #36 of 40
Quote:

If this is your biggest problem in life I would say that, with all due respect, you are doing fine.

Actually, I was hit in the face on Sunday morning with a bat in an attempted robbery...thanks for your insight.
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

my AT&T link was just updated to show "Shipped". FedEx tracking info still not in the FedEx system, but no worries. I know it will get to my house on Thursday.
i pre-ordered on the 15th @ 2:15pm EST at my local AT&T store.

For what it's worth, my ATT order shows shipping by Fedex with a shipping number on ATT's website. However, ATT also sent me an email that my order had shipped with a different shipping number with UPS. Neither UPS nor Fedex have either number in their system yet. I'm sure I'll get it but no idea who's going to deliver it yet.
post #38 of 40
I thought I'd share my experience today since I also ordered from AT&T.

I ordered an iPhone 4 at 12pm ET on 6/15 and this morning I manually checked my order status on the AT&T web site. The status is "Shipped," but when I clicked on my tracking number the FedEx website says the tracking number is "Not Found." I figured this would be updated at some point today, but it never was.

I just called FedEx and gave them my tracking number, because I'm being incredibly impatient and want to know what's up, and they told me it won't ship until tomorrow.

So, at least in my case, AT&T's order status website isn't totally accurate.
post #39 of 40
Quote:

There's this funny thing called vacation time/personal leave. Many folks will be using that.

Quote:

I'm waiting for iAd-blocking apps to be released.

They won't be approved by Apple and many folks won't jailbreak to use them. Especially since these ads have been designed to be as nonannoying as an ad can be.

Quote:
And for the requirement that any app that includes ads will have to mention it in the app description.

There's not said requirement now so why should that change for iAds

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

iAds
Since these use webcode can iAds be used on websites, too, or just in apps?

At the moment, just in apps. We'll see if they do an 'iAdsense'

Quote:
They could have had it delivered to their work.

That assumes that work allows personal packages. Many don't. They don't want the liability of the mail room dropping something, stealing something etc

Quote:

Is it too early to analyze why the iPhone 4 is selling so well?

yes. because interest is not sales. Many of those 600k phones were not paid for and require someone to actually go to a store and shell out money. and who knows what the post launch trends will be like

Quote:
but also I think that the Gizmodo debacle played a large part in piquing the public's sense of intrigueand generating more interest in the media than for the 3G and 3GS releases... Any thoughts?

I think that Giz did nada but screw themselves. The iphone generates its own interest. We would have seen these numbers even without Giz's crime. Mainly because the interest is in things that were software based and weren't exposed early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

2. That rag Jizzmado had very little to do with actual sales, if you read their site, you would see if anything they are more negative than positive,

It didn't used to be. Before the Valleywag and Gizmodo stunts, Gawker was about 50/50. When they screwed themselves by stepping over the line with the iphone they went more like 90 neg/10 pos. when Apple refused them a media pass to WWDC they moved to 99/1

It's actually rather funny really. they did it to themselves. It is their fault that Gawker is not site non grata to Apple.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

There's this funny thing called vacation time/personal leave. Many folks will be using that.

There's this funny thing called sarcasm. Many folks can spot it
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T ships iPhone 4 preorders, first apps with Apple's iAd arrive