or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch - Page 4

post #121 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

New iBooks Update is showing up in the App Store on the iPhone, with an indicator that its universal, but is not available for download yet on iPhone, only iPad.

It seems to come and go. I deleted it from my iTunes and re-downloaded version 1.1 and it synced to my iPhone with no problem.

I went back 20 minutes later to verify the version in the iTunes store and that time the store showed 1.0.1 - so evidently Apple's content caching servers are still syncronizing.

Version 1.1 is the version that will sync to the iPhone (I'm looking at it on my iPhone right now).
post #122 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

I am a app developer and apples techs thoroughly explained the background processes to us.
NOW HEAR THIS!!!!!!!!!!:Apps in the background do not use up power or resources. They are in a suspended state.

Perhaps, but with Navigon loaded my phone is sluggish. If I kill it, all is well. There it is.

Otherwise, I agree - it's pretty slick.
post #123 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by user23 View Post

on my latest gen. iPod touch I noticed (with the iOS 4 update) it now has "airplane mode" for some reason. Seems redundant when I normally just switch Wi-Fi off.

Airplane kills wifi and bluetooth as apposed to wifi only?
post #124 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey View Post

Theres no settings for MMS in the settings menu for Messages.

So is MMS working or no?
post #125 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Even though the first model was a luxury device

It's only a "luxury device" to internet wags who are either unwilling or unable to understand that there are many kinds of needs in this world, and it's perfectly OK for devices to exist that don't meet their specific needs.

For my father who normally eschews computers due to their inherit complexity and generally being a pain in the a$$ and my best friends mother with severe arthritis that the touch interface on the iPad pretty much negates, the iPad is the perfect primary device.

I guess when your whole schtick revolves around PC's, all the problems in the world are PC shaped nails that a general purpose computer is required to solve.

The success of the iPad proves otherwise

Quote:
If anything Apple is trying to accelerate this process towards the iPad. I believe he thinks this is device to end the Windows monopoly. Jobs has been quoted long ago as believing that the Mac has lost the PC wars and that he would move on to the next great thing. The iPad is it.

They aren't accelerating anything - they are following a carefully laid out plan of steady and incremental upgrades.

You are right about one thing - the iPad is "the next great thing". It's the next stage of general purpose computing. I don't see Windows or Mac OSX going away any time soon, but I do see the iOS being more widely deployed than both Windows and Mac combined in less than five years.

And even if that happens, it still doesn't threaten the Mac or Windows. This isn't a zero sum game
post #126 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's latest operating system upgrade for the iPhone, iOS 4, was released Monday, packed with over 100 new features including multitasking and folders.

For more, see First Look: Apple's iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch.

Updated my 3G and it took time - almost an hour start to finish. Went through with no issues and everything is working great.

One thing to watch out for. The update reset the passcode to off.

JDS
post #127 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiracer1987 View Post

So is MMS working or no?

I've just restored the 3GS without using my backup of the iPhone with 3.1.3 and the option to turn on MMS in the settings menu is available. So you will need to start fresh.
post #128 of 258
Straight after update I was prompted to update my carrier settings. Looking good
post #129 of 258
I hate iOS 4 on my 2nd gen iTouch. Hate. It. I expected to be happier because of some features I expected to be there but ultimately weren't... I knew it wouldn't support multi-tasking, but seriously? Home page wallpapers exclusively for the newer products?! Jailbreakers can have a custom background and multitask on something even as old as a 2nd Gen iTouch. I'm in a bit of a crunch for cash right now and I'm in no position to buy a new iTouch. You know what? #$*& it. I'm selling my iPod touch. Selling it. I'd rather use my Pre than this. At least I can do everything on my Pre that I was able to do on my iTouch, PLUS multitask and have a changeable background image. Hmph! Oh, and make phone calls.
post #130 of 258
I can't seem to view album art in landscape, album view. Am I missing the new "lock screen orientation" feature ? Awesome otherwise.

Okay, found the screen orientation lock...that's not it. Is anyone else able to view album art in landscape ?
post #131 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by espeed623 View Post

I hate iOS 4 on my 2nd gen iTouch. Hate. It. I expected to be happier because of some features I expected to be there but ultimately weren't... I knew it wouldn't support multi-tasking, but seriously? Home page wallpapers exclusively for the newer products?! Jailbreakers can have a custom background and multitask on something even as old as a 2nd Gen iTouch. I'm in a bit of a crunch for cash right now and I'm in no position to buy a new iTouch. You know what? #$*& it. I'm selling my iPod touch. Selling it. I'd rather use my Pre than this. At least I can do everything on my Pre that I was able to do on my iTouch, PLUS multitask and have a changeable background image. Hmph! Oh, and make phone calls.

How happy were you with your iPod Touch *before* the update to iOS 4?
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #132 of 258
Quote:

I've just restored the 3GS without using my backup of the iPhone with 3.1.3 and the option to turn on MMS in the settings menu is available. So you will need to start fresh.

Glad to see a restore fixed that for you.
post #133 of 258
Quote:

Apple isn't the first company to set in artificial limitations to get you to upgrade to their latest product.

Hell just look at Microsot and DX10. For a long time, it really couldn't work in XP, but since nvidia couldn't do what was needed for DX10, Microsoft lifted one of the requirements (which happened to be the only requirement keeping it off XP.) In the end, dx10 is still vista and up for absolutely no reason other than to get you to upgrade.

It's absolute horse sh**
post #134 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

The big problem I've seen with iOS 4 on my 2nd Gen touch is it's sucking up my battery life when I'm not using it. When it ran 3.1.3 I could leave it locked all weekend and the battery would be down only a little bit on Monday morning. Now leaving it locked for a just a few hours knocks the battery down 25%.

I'm seriously unimpressed with that "feature" of the new OS.

Considering your product isn't supported officially, for iOS 4 I would think you'd stick with 3.1.3.
post #135 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

How happy were you with your iPod Touch *before* the update to iOS 4?

Frankly, I was relatively happy. I say that because I've been a Mac user for well over 3 years and an iPod user for a little longer. I've loved the OS on the iPod and the general experience, but I was wanting something I wouldn't get. I was excited because I was expecting so much more from an OS update for a mobile device that ultimately disappointed me in the end.
post #136 of 258
Quote:

There's a post over on the Apple forums indicating that this can be fixed by manually editing the,

Settings >> Network >> Cellular Data Network

settings, but obviously you need to know what to set them to.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/th...rt=15&tstart=0
post #137 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Mine hasn't moved from the "Backing up" state for about an hour and a half. Starting to wonder if I should stop and restart...

Don't worry mine (iPod touch 2G 16gig) needed about the same time and suddenly the progress bar was jumping forward. Just hang on a little bit longer.

It is installing now
post #138 of 258
It seems iBooks is way too slow on a 3G.
A4 and 512 Mo would ad so much convenience...
But what a pleasure to hold thousands of (free) classics pages on your hand.

A reason to consider getting an iPhone 4, and to dream of an iPad.
iBooks should work on iTunes/OSX...
post #139 of 258
Does anyone know if iOS 4 brought homescreen wallpaper to the iPhone 3G? It doesn't seem to show up anywhere, but I don't understand why Apple wouldn't include it in the 3G as well as the 3GS and 4.
post #140 of 258
Well, I'll add my upgrade experience. It took over an hour and a half to upgrade to iOS 4 for my 2G iPod Touch. No problems but it sure did take a long time. I had about 80 apps plus 14GB of music and some photos. Now I can start checking out the new capabilities.
post #141 of 258
Quote:

Frankly, I was relatively happy. I say that because I've been a Mac user for well over 3 years and an iPod user for a little longer. I've loved the OS on the iPod and the general experience, but I was wanting something I wouldn't get. I was excited because I was expecting so much more from an OS update for a mobile device that ultimately disappointed me in the end.

Your expectations were unrealistically high. You have to take all hype with a pinch of salt. The let down you feel is common but I think you may be a little rash in your utter condemnation. You've had the update for what - 30 minutes? No matter what Apple or anyone says updates are rarely 'revolutionary'. The original iPhone was quite close in my opinion but in the end you are still browsing the web and writing emails. Manage your expectations and you may find you'll be happily surprised more often.
post #142 of 258
Quote:

I have to say that staying connected on Wifi while in sleep mode (here is hope this means vpn too), and Folders are enough to make me really happy
post #143 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Widder View Post

Does anyone know if iOS 4 brought homescreen wallpaper to the iPhone 3G? It doesn't seem to show up anywhere, but I don't understand why Apple wouldn't include it in the 3G as well as the 3GS and 4.

It did not. The 3G has less memory than the 3GS as well as a weaker processor.
post #144 of 258
Think the unified inbox feature is cool but don't quite understand why it shows inboxes and then accounts? doubled up slightly there me thinks?

Where is the screen orientation lock feature?
post #145 of 258
Quote:

I hate iOS 4 on my 2nd gen iTouch. Hate. It. ... I knew it wouldn't support multi-tasking, but seriously? Home page wallpapers exclusively for the newer products?! Jailbreakers can have a custom background...

Man that's a lot of Hate just for no custom wallpaper. Just how much time during the day do you spend staring at the background of a gizmo, anyway? I suggest you download a video or something... just saying.
post #146 of 258
Found the screen lock feature, double tap home button and slide to the left until you see a grey icon with a round arrow in it.

Slightly confused that you cant lock the screen in landscape...

Also if you double tap home button while already in landscape the multi-tasking looks a bit strange...

I think they missed a few tricks here...
post #147 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

No, I clicked for update as well, and it's doing exactly what he says. It is acting very much like a restore, however.

Likewise for me. It appears to have done a restore even though I did not tell it too. Ah well, it's almost done restoring iPhone applications. Wow I've been updating my phone for nearly 3 1/2 hours now. Is that a record?
13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz; iPhone 4 32GB
13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz; iPhone 4 32GB
post #148 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark80 View Post

Found the screen lock feature, double tap home button and slide to the left until you see a grey icon with a round arrow in it.

Slightly confused that you cant lock the screen in landscape...

Also if you double tap home button while already in landscape the multi-tasking looks a bit strange...

I think they missed a few tricks here...

This didn't fix my problem, it was unlocked. Not sure what's up with album art ...at least on my phone.
post #149 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Downloading doesn't seem bogged (yet). Just a few minutes of download time and you're on to installation - which (as always) takes so much longer than the patience we have to wait.

Update
1:13pm CST: Is it just me? I've been hung on "Backing up 'iPhone'" for 30 minutes. (Yes, I stopped and started over after 15 minutes - so that's 30 minutes on the second attempt.)

2:30pm CST: Still waiting for "Backing up iPhone" to disappear and move on. Is it just the 3G? Hearing 3GS users are installed.

2:50pm CST: FINALLY, the phone is restoring. If you've waited - keep waiting. The status bar means nothing.

It took me 2.5 hours for the entire process. Lots of my apps crashes. not entirely convinced that this is the big step forward. Like the folder features.
Happy DiNo ***MAC Pro*** 2X 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 32GB RAM Mac Pro RAID Card 2 X 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS 2 X 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3GB/s NVIDIAQuadro FX 5600 1.5GB 2X 16x S-Drives AirPort...
Happy DiNo ***MAC Pro*** 2X 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 32GB RAM Mac Pro RAID Card 2 X 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS 2 X 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3GB/s NVIDIAQuadro FX 5600 1.5GB 2X 16x S-Drives AirPort...
post #150 of 258
Anyone else have a problem with certain albums not displaying cover art in the iPod app? Seems to be a result of lost album and artist info for the album. (When you tap to view an album with missing cover art, it reads as artist and album unknown, and if you're in CoverFlow mode it shows no tracks.)
post #151 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

I do not like the mail..it shows all the inboxes then underneath all the accounts..that is so dumb & confusing.

Agree, at list in my case. I can see how it might be better for others, although how doesn't come to mind right now.

But, for me, it is just so much extra garbage. Maybe I'll understand why after I use it for a while.
post #152 of 258
3G====ios 4
does it make sense to upgrade, some site said it makes 3g slow
won't upgrade till others with 3g have tried it out
thanks
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #153 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

from a third party website. apple wont offer older (outdated) versions of software, 4.0 or nothing- and your touch doesn't support 4.0 unfortunately \

That's not true at all. You can go back through every .X upgrade to Mac OS X.
post #154 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Agree, at list in my case. I can see how it might be better for others, although how doesn't come to mind right now.

But, for me, it is just so much extra garbage. Maybe I'll understand why after I use it for a while.

Why is it dumb? If you want to review all accounts as if they were one, then you just use the unified view. If you only want to review certain accounts (work related e-mails, for example) you can view each one separately. It makes sense to me and it's more like the "Inbox" on the desktop now.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #155 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

Anyone else have a problem with certain albums not displaying cover art in the iPod app? Seems to be a result of lost album and artist info for the album. (When you tap to view an album with missing cover art, it reads as artist and album unknown, and if you're in CoverFlow mode it shows no tracks.)

My coverflow isn't working at all ! Screen orientation is not locked ??
post #156 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

It did not. The 3G has less memory than the 3GS as well as a weaker processor.

Word is that the issue is the shadows on the icons. Apple added them so the wallpaper won't look as lame as it does on the jailbroken iPhones, but the processing of the shadows (when the icons animate etc.) is beyond the capabilities of the 3G.
post #157 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

It's only a "luxury device" to internet wags who are either unwilling or unable to understand that there are many kinds of needs in this world, and it's perfectly OK for devices to exist that don't meet their specific needs.

For my father who normally eschews computers due to their inherit complexity and generally being a pain in the a$$ and my best friends mother with severe arthritis that the touch interface on the iPad pretty much negates, the iPad is the perfect primary device.

I guess when your whole schtick revolves around PC's, all the problems in the world are PC shaped nails that a general purpose computer is required to solve.

The success of the iPad proves otherwise

They aren't accelerating anything - they are following a carefully laid out plan of steady and incremental upgrades.

You are right about one thing - the iPad is "the next great thing". It's the next stage of general purpose computing. I don't see Windows or Mac OSX going away any time soon, but I do see the iOS being more widely deployed than both Windows and Mac combined in less than five years.

And even if that happens, it still doesn't threaten the Mac or Windows. This isn't a zero sum game

You can try to insult me all you want but your father is part of the last generatiions no matter what his age may be. That is like saying the Wii is a great product because it's in so many retirement homes.

The world has to move on. This is not about what the elderly can do but about the future.

I'm sure the same will happen when I'm in his position but at least I can recognize what the future is.
post #158 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

The upper section gives you direct access to either all your inboxes, or just specific ones. This is quicker than navigating to the account, then to the inbox as before. Now, a nice touch would be a color coding/flagging to easily associate messages to the account they belong to.

The lower section gives you complete access to all folders associated with each specific account. This is more like the previous setup where you navigated first to the account with all its' folders, then to the folder you want (typically the inbox).
post #159 of 258
It seems as if the volume is lower, as if apple has enforced a universal volume limiter in the software. I've already checked my volume limiter for iPod and it's set where i always set it, but it seems as if my iPhone is considerably quieter after installing iOS 4.
post #160 of 258
Currently upgrading my 3G iPhone. The upgrade seems to take about 1.5 hours on this phone. As others have mentioned, it appears this update wipes the phone clean, installs the new OS, then restores everything anew. So, most of the time is spent backing up and restoring the phone's data.

I'll post my experience with iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G (16gig) later today or tomorrow once I've had a chance to use it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch