or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch - Page 6

post #201 of 258
I've now unscrewed the pooch thanks to ultrasn0w and redsn0w. I've even activated the nice wallpapers and multitasking that Apple declares I ought not have on my phone. I've confirmed the unlock and I'm restoring my apps. I'll play with it a bit and leave the music and movies to update overnight. My poor lil' 8 gig needs all the time it can to sync music due to knocking the bit rate down to fit more of it on the phone.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #202 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Gave it one last try and broke through. Phone is backing up now so not long to wait to try out the new OS!

I tried one more time too and it's installing now. Sweet success!!
post #203 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycondavey View Post

I can not use many applications on my iPad as they require iOS 4.

Who is writing iPad apps that require iOS 4? Developers know that the OS for the iPad will not be updated till Autumn.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #204 of 258
you all disgust me & enthrall me. Not "you", specifically, but, "you", the whiner & you, the one ensorcelled with-in-by Maya.

you live in (most likely) an economically "privileged" country...yet, all you are seemingly capable of is complaining about how this sucks or how that sucks or how this should be this way or how this should be that way. Endless fingers pointing out the imperfection(s) which seemingly surround you...yet, truthfully, only exist within you.

Give me, and give the planet, a break already. Compared to how the majority of the humans on this planet live, you are amongst the elite...the privileged...the few...the, cough-ahem, "chosen."

despite this rarified atmosphere you breathe, you know neither know how to spell, how to use punctuation, or how to articulate the emotions you have long been disenfranchised from....potentially, alas & alack, from birth.

Apple should do this, Apple should do that...This should have been done this way, this should have been done that way.....

Have you EVER considered, for the merest of a picosecond, that you could do all of that which you perceive as lacking and more...for Your Very Own Self?

No, of course you haven't.

the reason?

you have been, & are being, brainwashed by thee dominant paradigm...

Wake Up my friends.

Corporate control is not the dominant paradigm. That which you mayhaps perceive is Not the totality of reality.

Rather, it is just a possibility amongst possibilities which is no more or less important than any other meaningless bit of errata.

The alternative potentials are far sexier than petting Schrodinger's cat. If/Then binary options are a joke, a pleasurable & painful facade. Adding a 3rd potential to the equation is a farce, too. Rather, there are infinite possibilities for any one thing or infinite thingnesses. Explore them all, find a favorite, then condemn that one as a trap, too.

checking out from this site, checking out from on-line. Gh0d help you all.

Seriously & humorously,
me. 23 Skidoo.... my lovely peeps

<bounce> </bounce>
an aye for an eye, the truth is a lie; a fish cannot whistle & neither can I.
an aye for an eye, the truth is a lie; a fish cannot whistle & neither can I.
post #205 of 258
updated about 5 hours ago. downloaded from the link that solipsism provided on the first page. got the file down in about 10mins, ran the update on my 3GS and that was finished in under 10mins.

no problems so far, though haven't dug deep into it yet. definitely can feel 'teh snappy' of iOS4 on the 3GS, however

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #206 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by user23 View Post

you know neither know how to spell

You know neither know how to use CAPITAL LETTERS IN YOUR DIATRIBE. Who are you to criticize when you can't even hit the shift key or don't proofread your own work?

CYA!

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #207 of 258
Did the format of the iTunes database change again for iOS 4? I put iOS 4 on my 2G iPod Touch last night, now it doesn't work with the iPod integration in my car (2009 Ford Fiesta) , says there's no tracks on it.

Looks like I'll be putting 3.1.whatever back on tonight.

Can I use the same IPSW file on 2G and 3G iPod Touches? I need a bigger iPod, so I'm thinking I'll get a 32 or 64 gig 3G now rather than wait for the new one, but it might come with iOS 4 now.

If not, has anyone got the lPSW for the latest version of 3.1 for a 3G iPod Touch?
post #208 of 258
Boy oh boy it sure it slow on the iPhone 3G, who killed my performance? And of course you can't roll back. They really should make it possible to roll back, even if only for people with out-of-date hardware such as myself. But overall it looks like an excellent update, if you've got the hardware for it.
post #209 of 258
Tough, tough problem.
Folders are so useful and needed really bad. But boy do they look ugly! The finest UI all over the world is now spoiled for ever...
Mail is displaying some weird instabilities when dealing with push accounts. Have to look deeper in that.

Good for us we now can give all that bazaar a try before iPhone 4 actually arrives.

P.S. No visible impact on performance of 3G so far.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #210 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

- Hate, hate, hate folders! I don't need em, and I wish I could turn them off. It's almost impossible to re-arrange the icons now.

don't use them, then.

Quote:

- Hate the background images. If they were going to do that, they could at least have left the black option (and maybe added white).

select a black background picture and forget about it.

Quote:

- Hate multi-tasking. Had no use for it before, and now it's just something extra to worry about for an OCD type like myself. I'm spending huge amounts of time checking out what's running now.

don't double-click, then. use your phone like before.

apps are not running in the background, and "killing" them in the task switcher will do nothing. just don't double-click and live happily as before, everything will be the same.

seriously.
post #211 of 258
Still no complete AVRCP bluetooth profile! Play/Pause is nice, but why not finish the job properly and give us skip/previous as well?
post #212 of 258
Folders GUI: betting we'll have some generic folder icons and a way to make our own in next release.

Data point: about 1 hour to download and install on ipod touch with 25 gigs of "stuff" on it.

Has anyone succeed in pairing an apple Bluetooth keyboard?
post #213 of 258
Great overview on Macworld

iOS 4: What you need to know

http://www.macworld.com/article/1521...d_to_know.html
post #214 of 258
Quote:

you all disgust me & enthrall me. Not "you", specifically, but, "you", the whiner & you, the one ensorcelled with-in-by Maya.

you live in (most likely) an economically "privileged" country...yet, all you are seemingly capable of is complaining about how this sucks or how that sucks or how this should be this way or how this should be that way. Endless fingers pointing out the imperfection(s) which seemingly surround you...yet, truthfully, only exist within you.

Give me, and give the planet, a break already. Compared to how the majority of the humans on this planet live, you are amongst the elite...the privileged...the few...the, cough-ahem, "chosen."

despite this rarified atmosphere you breathe, you know neither know how to spell, how to use punctuation, or how to articulate the emotions you have long been disenfranchised from....potentially, alas & alack, from birth.

Apple should do this, Apple should do that...This should have been done this way, this should have been done that way.....

Have you EVER considered, for the merest of a picosecond, that you could do all of that which you perceive as lacking and more...for Your Very Own Self?

the reason?

Wake Up my friends.

Corporate control is not the dominant paradigm. That which you mayhaps perceive is Not the totality of reality.

Rather, it is just a possibility amongst possibilities which is no more or less important than any other meaningless bit of errata.

The alternative potentials are far sexier than petting Schrodinger's cat. If/Then binary options are a joke, a pleasurable & painful facade. Adding a 3rd potential to the equation is a farce, too. Rather, there are infinite possibilities for any one thing or infinite thingnesses. Explore them all, find a favorite, then condemn that one as a trap, too.

Seriously & humorously,

<bounce> </bounce>

He he he... dude, you're radical! (but I like it)
post #215 of 258
Updated my 3GS last night and man does this update scream. It took about 6 or 7 times trying but when it finally got through, the whole process took about 30+ minutes. (I removed all my video before updating) Sure there are a few things I can nitpick on, but I won't. The performance bump alone makes me feel like I have a whole new phone.

Way to go Apple!

PS. TV Shows FINALLY are in proper sorting order!!!
post #216 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by erybovic View Post

Just to let everyone know, Field Test Mode with a "REAL SIGNAL" Indicator is no longer a option on 4.0

Not true. I was excited when I first saw this post because I once put my 3GS in field test mode and couldn't figure out how to get this "REAL SIGNAL" turned off. I thought it would finally go away when I upgraded to 4.0. Alas, I'm on 4.0 now and I still have this REAL SIGNAL toggle. If anyone knows how to turn this off, please let me know.
post #217 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Updated my 3GS last night and man does this update scream. It took about 6 or 7 times trying but when it finally got through, the whole process took about 30+ minutes. (I removed all my video before updating) Sure there are a few things I can nitpick on, but I won't. The performance bump alone makes me feel like I have a whole new phone.

Way to go Apple!

PS. TV Shows FINALLY are in proper sorting order!!!

Haven't gotten around to updating my old (and after buying an iPad almost unused) Touch... Was the update free? OS 3 was about ten bucks, but was well worth it.

Yeah, this is a fantastic update. Could almost think about canceling my iPhone 4 order, but nah, I want it.

Can't wait until they have iOS 4 ready for iPad; it will make an awesome device even more awesome.

---

One game I have, Pool, stutters a little in iOS 4. Probably just something tat needs tweaking...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #218 of 258
Quote:

Not true. I was excited when I first saw this post because I once put my 3GS in field test mode and couldn't figure out how to get this "REAL SIGNAL" turned off. I thought it would finally go away when I upgraded to 4.0. Alas, I'm on 4.0 now and I still have this REAL SIGNAL toggle. If anyone knows how to turn this off, please let me know.

It would take a while but you could try restoring to factory settings and then updating again...

post #219 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Haven't gotten around to updating my old (and after buying an iPad almost unused) Touch... Was the update free?

Yes! Free for all.
post #220 of 258
Quote:

Yes! Free for all.

Sweet.

post #221 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzpuente View Post

Is anyone else having issues with their pictures being all fuzzy on their iPhone now?

I have a 16gb 3GS, and now every single one of the pictures looks grainy and fuzzy.

My camera roll is OK, but a folder I made of older pics (all of which have looked fine for the past 3 years on my iPhone) are sudenly all blurry... I did some Google searches and found nothing....Tonight I'm going to resynch... Maybe it's as simple as removing the folder from the phone and re-installing...A couple of the pics that were really important to me, I just re-emailed to myself and saved to the camera roll...Either way, very strange bug...
post #222 of 258
What? NO UNDO? I wanted an undo command. I demand an undo command.
post #223 of 258
update not working

hangs forever on the "backing up" process.

and I mean forever.

iPod Touch 3G 8GB
post #224 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

update not working

hangs forever on the "backing up" process.

and I mean forever.

iPod Touch 3G 8GB

What do you mean by "forever"? People on here have reported back up times of an hour and more.
post #225 of 258
Tried upgrading my 3G to IOS 4. Seemed to hang up on the backup process. Since I have to go to work in a bit I canceled it. Bummer. Went to the iPhone discussions on the Apple Support website and there are a lot of folks complaining about the hanging up in the backup process. So rather than corrupt my current 3.13 IOS, I will wait a bit. Maybe I'll wait til my iPhone 4 arrives....
post #226 of 258
Quote:

What do you mean by "forever"? People on here have reported back up times of an hour and more.

Try 6 hrs.

I tried the direct links as well and it's giving me a countdown of 6 hrs. The speed of the progress bar exactly correlates the iTunes update progress bar so this means it's the same source.

Both are taking 6 hrs.

In 2010 if a 300mb-400mb file takes 6hrs this is the equivalent of 'forever'.
post #227 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

Try 6 hrs.

I tried the direct links as well and it's giving me a countdown of 6 hrs. The speed of the progress bar exactly correlates the iTunes update progress bar so this means it's the same source.

Both are taking 6 hrs.

In 2010 if a 300mb-400mb file takes 6hrs this is the equivalent of 'forever'.

Same here.......Iphone 3G 16GB, terrible. I plug it in before I went to bed and 7 hrs later still restoring music and videos....I unpluged it and off t0 work.

Need to revert back to 3.1.2 .....ASAP! Help.
post #228 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey View Post

Well that is weird. I just did an update and it restored from my backup. Maybe you have to start fresh. The only options I have on my 3GS is:

Show Preview
Repeat Alert
Character Count

I have found out why. the issue rely on the MMSC entry. remove the http://
post #229 of 258
Quote:

the reason?

Wake Up my friends.

Seriously & humorously,

<bounce> </bounce>

pico secound ???

coolllllll beans
no caps even better !!!
as for apple whinibg
well its odd how 500 posts about a white io4 thathas not even been shown to exist yet can be the norm here
f it this is my last ever post too

halo awaits me
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #230 of 258
Downloaded the file but when I select it in iTunes I get a cannot download because of firmware message.

My iPod Touch 3G doesn't qualify?

v 3.1.3 (7E18)
model MC086J

EDIT: Seems to be backing up fine now. It's morning now so maybe that's why it's finally going but I don't know what the time of day would have to do with iTunes backing up my iPod Touch.

post #231 of 258
From the start of the download, to completion of entire upgrade, reinstall apps, etc, was about 3 hours. Pretty heavy for a machine with NO music, and only 2GB of apps and associated data, but it did work. First performance impressions are positive. Can't say I detect any substantial improvement, but at the same time, no degradation from 3.1.3 levels. The real test was firing off CoPilot Live as it is computationally intensive. This app "feels" a bit snappier, but it might just be me. With a few hours of playing around on it, I can't find any reason to not do the upgrade on the 3G iPhone (ie device 1,2)

Then I discovered a new feature. On ALL previous versions of the iphone os, my jawbone headset rang with a beep sound, regardless. Now with iOS4, whatever ringtone I have set (default or special) rings through on the jawbone. This is great as I now can set the iphone silent switch button to "silent" and still "handsfree" recognize random incoming calls from those of friends whom I have assigned specific ringtones (nice way to screen incoming calls). A really nice undocumented new feature!
post #232 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

From what I've heard Apple seemed really surprised by iPad sales. It could be that they decided to cut cost and watched how sales went.

I don't think they held it back to not have it compete with laptop sales. They're many other factors which necessitate the need for a desktop.

I surprised by the lack of foresight by Apple to not put in 512MB RAM. It is only two months old and it will be lacking features the new iPhone has.

EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised by a September iPod event update. Chances are the iPod's memory will be doubled considering new 64GB chips are being made and it may also have camera. That would make the iPad seem a bit overpriced.

I can't believe that Apple didn't know they were working on a video editing app for the iPhone when in the later stages of iPad hardware development. It's the same chip, and the same package, except for the amount of RAM, which a few people insisted couldn't be changed. I really do believe it's because Apple doesn't want too much cannibalization of the Macbook line - yet.

It's not just the amount of memory that tells me this. It's the way they handle other things. You can't work with Canon CR2 or Nikon NEF files, though you can import them to the iPad. Third party software must go through the Photos app to get to the jpegs, and only the jpegs. This is just a bit of why companies won't be coming out with really good photo editing apps soon, unless iOS 4 changes this under the hood, though it doesn't seem as though it does right now.

But Jobs describes video editing as one thing the iPad would do, so I assume that it will come at some point, but not for this model. Maybe next year, when Apple is confident that sales of iPads so far exceeds the more expensive Macbook line, that they will make much more with them than they will lose in Macbook sales.
post #233 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by espeed623 View Post

Frankly, I was relatively happy. I say that because I've been a Mac user for well over 3 years and an iPod user for a little longer. I've loved the OS on the iPod and the general experience, but I was wanting something I wouldn't get. I was excited because I was expecting so much more from an OS update for a mobile device that ultimately disappointed me in the end.

Before you decide to update an older device, you should understand exactly what features will, and won't be supported. Wallpapers aren't supported, because the device's processor isn't fast enough to do the work required for the 3D enhancements. Because of the lousy wallpapers some people will use, Apple enhanced the way icons will be represented so that they would stand out from those backgrounds. If a feature won't work well, Apple won't support it. So, sure, you can jailbreak your device and get this, but like most jailbreak software, it won't run well in devices it wasn't intended for.

I can jailbreak my 3G iPhone and shoot video, but video from jailbroken phones is worthless, so whats the point? Multitasking on older iPhones and Touches, other than the last models, can't be done properly either because of the amount of RAM, etc. So why would you want it?

Comparing it to a Pre isn't fair. The Pre is a newer device with a faster processor and more RAM. It's still a loser as a phone. Why do you think the company put itself up for sale?
post #234 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtidmore View Post

From the start of the download, to completion of entire upgrade, reinstall apps, etc, was about 3 hours. Pretty heavy for a machine with NO music, and only 2GB of apps and associated data, but it did work. First performance impressions are positive. Can't say I detect any substantial improvement, but at the same time, no degradation from 3.1.3 levels. The real test was firing off CoPilot Live as it is computationally intensive. This app "feels" a bit snappier, but it might just be me. With a few hours of playing around on it, I can't find any reason to not do the upgrade on the 3G iPhone (ie device 1,2)

Then I discovered a new feature. On ALL previous versions of the iphone os, my jawbone headset rang with a beep sound, regardless. Now with iOS4, whatever ringtone I have set (default or special) rings through on the jawbone. This is great as I now can set the iphone silent switch button to "silent" and still "handsfree" recognize random incoming calls from those of friends whom I have assigned specific ringtones (nice way to screen incoming calls). A really nice undocumented new feature!

I was following the discussion in this thread about no longer being able to send pictures via MMS. I became a little lost and confused in the discussion, are you still able to send and receive pictures via MMS?
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #235 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I was following the discussion in this thread about no longer being able to send pictures via MMS. I became a little lost and confused in the discussion, are you still able to send and receive pictures via MMS?

There seems to be few inconsistent things that are happening with folks upgrading to iOS 4. One of those things is that some people couldn't do MMS after their upgrade. Mine was fine right after the upgrade (from 3GS).

What confused me for several minutes was the new SMS character count feature. I remembered seeing it in action right after I upgraded, then this morning I couldn't get it to work anymore. Then I realized that the character count is hidden below the Send button and doesn't pop-up above the Send button until your SMS wraps around to a second line of text.

Okaaaaay...
post #236 of 258
Steve Jobs: Why iPhone 3G didn’t get iOS 4 wallpaper

Quote:
Erica emailed Steve Jobs to find out:

Hey Steve! I just upgraded my iPhone 3G to iOS 4 and was really looking forward to setting a background on my home screen. Guess that’s not happening, but I’d like to know why.

And Steve Jobs replied:

The icon animation with backgrounds didn’t perform well enough.

Well there it is from the source himself.

post #237 of 258
Did someone forget to take their meds today?

Quote:

the reason?

Wake Up my friends.

Seriously & humorously,

<bounce> </bounce>
post #238 of 258
I'm mostly liking the iOS 4 upgrade so far. Folders are great and have helped me better organize pages of icons. Love the new integrated Inbox.

I am noticing some sluggishness and slowness when accessing the App Store now, and the iBooks Store and application is painfully slow on an iPhone 3G. It takes about 5-8 seconds to flick to the next page. Annoying.

I wish I was seeing better speed in other apps, but, they are mostly the same after about 24 hours of using iOS 4.

Overall, the iOS 4 upgrade for an iPhone 3G provides a few key new features, but, most of the good stuff won't be available unless you have a 3GS or a new iPhone 4.
post #239 of 258
Love the folders but my only problem is telling them apart in sunlight. The names are a bit small and the folder icons seem to look very similar when you have a page of folders.
post #240 of 258
The folders are great and now I have most of my most used apps all on the top page; no more flicking and flicking or searching. As people are saying, they do look the same. Would be nice if, in a future update, Apple gave us the ability to choose folder designs, even better if we could make our own. Currently, I make most of the ones for my Macs and would love to do the same for my phone.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch