or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch - Page 2

post #41 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This won't be released for the iPad. It hasn't even hit the dev sites as a Beta yet. The word is that iOS 4.0 for the iPad will be released this fall, hopefully with an updated iPad with 512MB RAM.

Hmmm. My suspicion is that Apple doesn't want the iPad to have 512 MB yet. Remember the argument we had with some people here about the amount of memory? We were saying that 256 wasn't enough, and they were saying that as Apple has 256, it obviously was enough. Well, I think the fact that the iPhone 4 has 512 shows that 256 ISN'T enough. It's why, apparently, the new video editing app won't work (according to Apple) on the iPad, supposedly even with iOS 4; not enough RAM. It's not the cost of the RAM.

I think that it was deliberate. Despite what some have said, it's obvious the A4 chip package can have more than 256. The RAM is just another module in the package.

While editing on a phone is great, it won't compete with the Macbook for sales. Editing on the iPad would. I believe that until Apple decides exactly where the iPad sits within Apple's sales line-up, they don't want it more directly competing with the more expensive model.

While I hope I'm wrong, I don't expect to see 512 until next year.
post #42 of 258
As a suggestion, you ought to make sure your favorite apps have been upgraded before installing iOS 4.0 or you might find some big problems with some apps. There is a huge backlog of apps in the review queue at Apple. I have apps that haven't even made it to the "in review" stage yet and they have been there for a week. Usually, Apple moves them into in review pretty fast.
PocketMoney for your iPhone
www.catamount.com
PocketMoney for your iPhone
www.catamount.com
post #43 of 258
Looks like us occasional grumpy skeptics were proved right this time and that Apple DID NOT enable wallpaper on the 3g.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #44 of 258
I believe the word is out, it has taken me 26 minutes to download. Oh well, let's hope this is all worth it.
post #45 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Hmmm. My suspicion is that Apple doesn't want the iPad to have 512 MB yet. Remember the argument we had with some people here about the amount of memory? We were saying that 256 wasn't enough, and they were saying that as Apple has 256, it obviously was enough. Well, I think the fact that the iPhone 4 has 512 shows that 256 ISN'T enough. It's why, apparently, the new video editing app won't work (according to Apple) on the iPad, supposedly even with iOS 4; not enough RAM. It's not the cost of the RAM.

[...]

Yeah, it's mostly wishful thinking on my part. I was an advocate that 256MB RAM is enough for the iPhone for multitasking whilst contending that 128MB RAM simply isn't adequate. I even showed that using screenshots of the RAM used with various load times. 256MB RAM not being enough for the iPhone/Touch seems to fall squarely on iMovie editing, as you mention.

With the iPad being announced nearly a half year before the iPhone 4 and being released a couple months ahead it may be that they didn't even consider that as a requirement (even though I returned mine because Safari can't pages well without the risk of reloading) and you've mentioned before that Apple keeps their employees compartmentalized to an excessive degree. Though, i can't imagine that those working on the A4 for the iPad aren't also the same ones working on the A4 for the iPhone which makes me wonder if it was a late inclusion of iMovie for the iOS that was the motivator for the iPhone 4's 512MB RAM. If iMovie is a success, which I think it will be, I have to think they'll make a more robust version for the iPad available (hopefully) this Autumn with the release of iOS v4.0, which is very basis for my "wishful thinking".
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #46 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think that it was deliberate. Despite what some have said, it's obvious the A4 chip package can have more than 256. The RAM is just another module in the package.

While editing on a phone is great, it won't compete with the Macbook for sales. Editing on the iPad would. I believe that until Apple decides exactly where the iPad sits within Apple's sales line-up, they don't want it more directly competing with the more expensive model.

From what I've heard Apple seemed really surprised by iPad sales. It could be that they decided to cut cost and watched how sales went.

I don't think they held it back to not have it compete with laptop sales. They're many other factors which necessitate the need for a desktop.

I surprised by the lack of foresight by Apple to not put in 512MB RAM. It is only two months old and it will be lacking features the new iPhone has.

EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised by a September iPod event update. Chances are the iPod's memory will be doubled considering new 64GB chips are being made and it may also have camera. That would make the iPad seem a bit overpriced.
post #47 of 258
The IPSW file downloaded quickly enough for me, but the part of the update process where it backs up the phone is going very very slow. Is there any way to skip this step and move on with the update? I already have my phone backed up from when I plugged it in and haven't made any changes on it.
13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz; iPhone 4 32GB
post #48 of 258
Does the latest version of Skype app work with iOS 4?

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

post #49 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulak18 View Post

I believe the word is out, it has taken me 26 minutes to download. Oh well, let's hope this is all worth it.

My download was "snappier" - took 7 minutes.

Finishing the install/sync now and I'll see if the iPhone is snappier also.
Ken
Ken
post #50 of 258
The big problem I've seen with iOS 4 on my 2nd Gen touch is it's sucking up my battery life when I'm not using it. When it ran 3.1.3 I could leave it locked all weekend and the battery would be down only a little bit on Monday morning. Now leaving it locked for a just a few hours knocks the battery down 25%.

I'm seriously unimpressed with that "feature" of the new OS.
post #51 of 258
no ibooks...all of 4 major features in 4.0 and they can't have this one ready before launch? unreal
post #52 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

no ibooks...all of 4 major features in 4.0 and they can't have this one ready before launch? unreal

I know, I want it now!
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #53 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

From what I've heard Apple seemed really surprised by iPad sales. It could be that they decided to cut cost and watched how sales went.

I don't think they held it back to not have it compete with laptop sales. They're many other factors which necessitate the need for a desktop.

I surprised by the lack of foresight by Apple to not put in 512MB RAM. It is only two months old and it will be lacking features the new iPhone has.

Yeah, it does seem like a surprise to even them and they did seem hell bent on making $500 the starting point 9for good reason).

Only being two months old and lacking features isn't anything new. The iPod Touch has been doing this since its debut. I recall getting the iPhone 3G and then buying Apple's very nice in-ear phones with the controls on the wire. I think it was the volume controls and more complex iPod functions working in all the new iPods but I had to wait nearly a year for the 3GS for the other controls to work.
post #54 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Is iBooks considered an iOS 4.0 feature, or simply an app that requires iOS 4.0. It should be completely separate, just like with iBooks for the iPad.
post #55 of 258
For those out there how does a 3G respond? Is there much of a lag? Is it sluggish?
post #56 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

The big problem I've seen with iOS 4 on my 2nd Gen touch is it's sucking up my battery life when I'm not using it. When it ran 3.1.3 I could leave it locked all weekend and the battery would be down only a little bit on Monday morning. Now leaving it locked for a just a few hours knocks the battery down 25%.

I'm seriously unimpressed with that "feature" of the new OS.

I've been running it jailbroken on a a 2G touch but have only seen it sucking battery life when multitasking. Then again I don't use my touch that much.
post #57 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcZero View Post

I'm a developer and I've had this GM seed on my 2nd gen Touch for a while. I have never seen or have been prompted for the iBooks application. I thought it would be available when 4.0 was released to the public, but the GM is what is released to the public it seems. iTunes tells me to download iBooks for the iPod in the store, but I can't find it.

Does anyone else have iBooks on their devices yet?

You have to download it from the App Store. I have not run the update yet, so I don't know if it's showing yet in the store.
post #58 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by erybovic View Post

For those out there how does a 3G respond? Is there much of a lag? Is it sluggish?

It's alright. I find it faster than 3.x. In fact the OS is at its fastest since 1.x.
post #59 of 258
Quote:

I've had it running since they released it to the developers. It seems as fast as the previous OS to me. The only thing to note is that some apps will not currently work in iOS 4 until they receive an update. This seems limited to games as far as I've noticed but could affect other apps as well. Given that, if there's a game or app you can't live without it might be best to check and see if the developer has updated it or if it is known to work with iOS 4 already.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #60 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

The IPSW file downloaded quickly enough for me, but the part of the update process where it backs up the phone is going very very slow. Is there any way to skip this step and move on with the update? I already have my phone backed up from when I plugged it in and haven't made any changes on it.

Same on my end, backing up the phone is taking an extremely long time.
post #61 of 258
Quote:

Quote:

Same on my end, backing up the phone is taking an extremely long time.

Yeah, it took around 30 minutes for mine to backup, and another 15 to install and restore. I did stop and restart my backup after 15 minutes because I thought is was stuck. The 30 minutes is the second backup.
post #62 of 258
Just to let everyone know, Field Test Mode with a "REAL SIGNAL" Indicator is no longer a option on 4.0

post #63 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Already have it downloaded......installing now.

same here but its taking so long tp back up\
post #64 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardyNH View Post

As a suggestion, you ought to make sure your favorite apps have been upgraded before installing iOS 4.0 or you might find some big problems with some apps. There is a huge backlog of apps in the review queue at Apple. I have apps that haven't even made it to the "in review" stage yet and they have been there for a week. Usually, Apple moves them into in review pretty fast.

Yah - I got an email form Runkeeper this weekend stating the incompatibility and they are also waiting for iOS4 app approval. Any web sites keeping a list of apps that may hiccup until their iOS4 versions come out?
post #65 of 258
Quote:

I downloaded it the second it became available and iTunes told me 14 minutes at the beginning however it took 6 minutes in total. So yeah, "the word is out".
post #66 of 258
Quote:

Just to let everyone know, Field Test Mode with a "REAL SIGNAL" Indicator is no longer a option on 4.0

Yep, they either disabled it or changed the code. Been that way for a few builds now...
post #67 of 258
Ok, I updated my iPhone 3GS 16GB to iOS4.
Here is my verdict: IT ROCKS!

Here's why:
- It's much smoother and faster
- Multitasking works great (I'm switching apps like crazy)
- All the apps I tested so far works fine (Skype popped a message that it is supposed to work on v3X but it is still working).
- Camera works fast! stills & video
- The rest is pretty much the same, which is a good thing

Download took 15 minutes (in Israel).
Installation took about 5-7 minutes with no problems.

post #68 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Yeah, it took around 30 minutes for mine to backup, and another 15 to install and restore. I did stop and restart my backup after 15 minutes because I thought is was stuck. The 30 minutes is the second backup.

Ha! My progress bar shows it is about 1/10 complete and it has been backin up for nearly an hour!
post #69 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Folders awesome

I agree! My most favorite feature so far.

Mutlitasking - meh. I can see how it would be useful in a few situations, but not all apps seem to like it (hey Navigon - you need to update!). I did discover (if it was pointed out somewhere, I missed it) that if you bring up the task switcher and press and hold on an apps icon, they all "jiggle" and show a minus sign which kills that app. Very nice as some apps (like Navigon!) are obviously hogging resources if you switch away from them. I wish you could flag some apps as "never multitask - preserve pre-OS 4 functionality" in iTunes to keep this issue to a minimum.

But overall I have really enjoyed OS 4 and am really looking forward to the new iPhone on Thursday
post #70 of 258
Anyone else have problems getting iBooks to show up in the iTunes Apps tab so you can sync it to the iPhone?

I think I'm going to delete and re-download it but it's just plain weird...

EDIT: That did it. Version 1.1 is the one that will show up and download to the iPhone.
post #71 of 258
iBooks is here!

Just got it in the updates on my iPad.

Love the new texture behind the book on the icon. Never liked the old one. It looks like hardwood paneling instead of cloth.
post #72 of 258
Quote:

Ha! My progress bar shows it is about 1/10 complete and it has been backin up for nearly an hour!

Yeah, it'll be there forever, and then all of a sudden complete the rest in 2 minutes. Hold on little buddy!
post #73 of 258
Quote:

Is iBooks considered an iOS 4.0 feature, or simply an app that requires iOS 4.0. It should be completely separate, just like with iBooks for the iPad.

its a app that you have to download
post #74 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Yeah, it'll be there forever, and then all of a sudden complete the rest in 2 minutes. Hold on little buddy!

Thanks for this... I really thought something was wrong. Your saying it's normal resolves any anxiety about it not processing. Now, I wait. (It's been over an hour on 3G 16GB.)
post #75 of 258
Downloaded the update almost two hours ago and I'm still waiting to use my phone. For some stupid reason, it wiped the thing entirely clean and is reloading all of my media, as well as going through the "optimizing photos for iPhone" process all over again with my 4,776 photos. Why it thinks it needs to do that, I do not know. I hope iTunes isn't filling up my hard drive with duplicates of my photos.
post #76 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

It's alright. I find it faster than 3.x. In fact the OS is at its fastest since 1.x.

I remember installing 3.0 on my 3G, it was fast at first but slowed down as time went on. I hope this won't be the case with 4.0. I want to upgrade my hardware but I'm waiting to see if the Verizon rumors come true. Currently I find myself in areas with zero AT&T coverage but my Verizon work phone (BlackBerry) works great. I don't expect 3G everywhere I go, but in 2010 there is no reason not to have coverage 20 minutes outside of a large tourist attraction in the mid-west.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #77 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Downloaded the update almost two hours ago and I'm still waiting to use my phone. For some stupid reason, it wiped the thing entirely clean and is reloading all of my media, as well as going through the "optimizing photos for iPhone" process all over again with my 4,776 photos. Why it thinks it needs to do that, I do not know. I hope iTunes isn't filling up my hard drive with duplicates of my photos.

Sounds like you did a Restore, not an Update.
post #78 of 258
New iBooks Update is showing up in the App Store on the iPhone, with an indicator that its universal, but is not available for download yet on iPhone, only iPad.
post #79 of 258
Quote:

I did a software update; it decided to do a restore instead.
post #80 of 258
Quote:

No, I clicked for update as well, and it's doing exactly what he says. It is acting very much like a restore, however.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch