or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Developers, Apple busy updating apps for iOS 4, iPhone 4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Developers, Apple busy updating apps for iOS 4, iPhone 4 - Page 2

post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sure. 225,000 apps on the iPhone vs 50,000 on Android. And that's even allowing for the fact that many of the Android apps were rejected from the Apple store because they weren't good enough. So Apple has more than 4:1 quantity advantage and at least some quality advantage (since apps rejected by Apple are on Android).

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Would you kindly explain the lack of "quality" in MyFrame?:
http://apple.slashdot.org/story/10/0...ore-Developers

And just how much "quality" would you say these apps represent?:
http://gizmodo.com/5555853/the-apple...+%28Gizmodo%29

http://blog.chipp.com/are-2-million-...-a-good-thing/
post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Would you kindly explain the lack of "quality" in MyFrame?:
http://apple.slashdot.org/story/10/0...ore-Developers

And just how much "quality" would you say these apps represent?:
http://gizmodo.com/5555853/the-apple...+%28Gizmodo%29

http://blog.chipp.com/are-2-million-...-a-good-thing/

So your point is that you don't understand statistics, either?

There are 50 K Android apps and 225 K App Store apps. There will be some good ones and some bad ones on either platform. The best Android apps will certainly be better than the worst App Store apps and vice versa.

But, ON AVERAGE, it becomes a little clearer. A large number of the apps that Apple rejected for lack of quality are now on the Android store. So, those apps are below the average for the Apple store. That brings down the average for the Android store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Do you remember life before MultiFinder?

Welcome to 1987.

Welcome to the real world - where cell phones do different things than computers.

I've been trying for months to get someone to tell me why in the world I need multitasking on a cell phone beyond what iPhone OS 3 offered. I can understand searching the web while on a phone call. Listening to iTunes while on the web or checking mail. Checking mail while on the phone. All of those things are already available on iPhone OS 3. What do you need beyond that?

The answer is always either theoretical ("sure, I would never play two action games simultaneously, but I should have the ability to do so") or a meaningless distinction ("sure, I can listen to musing with iTunes, but I want to listen to music with a different app"). Neither of those things has any real benefit to the consumer or have any meaning at all to the average cell phone user.

So please tell me specifically what multitasking that can't be done with iOS 4 (or iPhone OS 3, for that matter) is so critical.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Welcome to the real world - where cell phones do different things than computers.

Holy flashback batman. This is the same weak argument people used to say micros shouldn't be multitasking or that the MacOS should have stayed with cooperative MT.

The fact is, even Apple doesn't market the iPhone as just a phone. It is a multitasking device by it's nature and is being used more and more as a PC replacement. It is a matter of finding the right fit of multitasking for a smaller, resource limited device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I've been trying for months to get someone to tell me why in the world I need multitasking on a cell phone beyond what iPhone OS 3 offered. I can understand searching the web while on a phone call. Listening to iTunes while on the web or checking mail. Checking mail while on the phone. All of those things are already available on iPhone OS 3. What do you need beyond that?

Apple called. The disagreed with you. Their argument was iOS 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The answer is always either theoretical ("sure, I would never play two action games simultaneously, but I should have the ability to do so") or a meaningless distinction ("sure, I can listen to musing with iTunes, but I want to listen to music with a different app"). Neither of those things has any real benefit to the consumer or have any meaning at all to the average cell phone user.

Practical: getting multiple IMs while you are browsing. Using a VOIP app and browsing. Uploading pictures and video to twitter and opening another app while the upload completes.

that wasn't that hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So please tell me specifically what multitasking that can't be done with iOS 4 (or iPhone OS 3, for that matter) is so critical.

iOS 4 has taken care of the important ones. It is ignorant to use iPhone OS 3 as an argument, since even Apple recognized the necessity of some multitasking and so created iOS4.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Holy flashback batman. This is the same weak argument people used to say micros shouldn't be multitasking or that the MacOS should have stayed with cooperative MT.

+1 Insightful
post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Would you kindly explain the lack of "quality" in MyFrame?:
http://apple.slashdot.org/story/10/0...ore-Developers

And just how much "quality" would you say these apps represent?:
http://gizmodo.com/5555853/the-apple...+%28Gizmodo%29

http://blog.chipp.com/are-2-million-...-a-good-thing/

So your point is that you don't understand statistics, either?

There are 50 K Android apps and 225 K App Store apps. There will be some good ones and some bad ones on either platform. The best Android apps will certainly be better than the worst App Store apps and vice versa.

But, ON AVERAGE, it becomes a little clearer. A large number of the apps that Apple rejected for lack of quality are now on the Android store. So, those apps are below the average for the Apple store. That brings down the average for the Android store.

My experience with statistics is irrelevant here: you appear to be completely unaware of the difference between QUALitative and QUANTitative analysis.

You can try to change the subject with a personal attack, but the questions remain on the table for you to answer.


While you ponder that QUALitative question, here's some more QUANTitative data for you:

Number of fart-related apps boosting the App Store count: 743
http://www.uquery.com/search?q=fart

Number of apps boosting the App Store count by mostly replicating free info from news web sites: 14,141
http://www.uquery.com/search?q=news

Number of those news apps costing $2.99 or more: 1,510
http://www.uquery.com/search?page=1&q=news&range=3

Number of apps that display clocks boosting the App Store count: 4,585
http://www.uquery.com/search?q=clock

Cost of Apple's clock app built into iOS: free

Cost of an app to let you alter and animate the rendering of women's breasts in photos: $0.99
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewe...=236567,00.asp

Cost of an app to let you use the free ping protocol: $1.99
http://www.uquery.com/apps/375562087-ipingtool
Enjoy the high-quality interface it provides for that higher-than average price:
http://images2.uquery.com/appstore/s...59075/full.jpg

Cost of an app that plays water sounds ostensibly to assist urination: $3.99
http://www.uquery.com/apps/341807729-peasygoing

Percentage of iOS apps the developers themselves don't feel are worth paying for: 81%
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...age_price.html

Number of pages of search results for the phrase "stupid iPhone apps": 20,700,000
http://www.google.com/search?q=stupid+iphone+apps


Yeah, quality...
post #46 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

My experience with statistics is irrelevant here: you appear to be completely unaware of the difference between QUALitative and QUANTitative analysis.

You can try to change the subject with a personal attack, but the questions remain on the table for you to answer.


While you ponder that QUALitative question, here's some more QUANTitative data for you:

Number of fart-related apps boosting the App Store count: 743
http://www.uquery.com/search?q=fart

Number of apps boosting the App Store count by mostly replicating free info from news web sites: 14,141
http://www.uquery.com/search?q=news

Number of those news apps costing $2.99 or more: 1,510
http://www.uquery.com/search?page=1&q=news&range=3

Number of apps that display clocks boosting the App Store count: 4,585
http://www.uquery.com/search?q=clock

Cost of Apple's clock app built into iOS: free

Cost of an app to let you alter and animate the rendering of women's breasts in photos: $0.99
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewe...=236567,00.asp

Cost of an app to let you use the free ping protocol: $1.99
http://www.uquery.com/apps/375562087-ipingtool
Enjoy the high-quality interface it provides for that higher-than average price:
http://images2.uquery.com/appstore/s...59075/full.jpg

Cost of an app that plays water sounds ostensibly to assist urination: $3.99
http://www.uquery.com/apps/341807729-peasygoing

Percentage of iOS apps the developers themselves don't feel are worth paying for: 81%
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...age_price.html

Number of pages of search results for the phrase "stupid iPhone apps": 20,700,000
http://www.google.com/search?q=stupid+iphone+apps


Yeah, quality...

Once again, you are using stupid metrics. Most of the examples are meaningless because you don't have comparisons for Android (in percentages, not absolute figures since there are 4 times as many Apple apps). But let's look at the one that we're able to compare:

Percentage of iOS apps the developers themselves don't feel are worth paying for: 81%
Percentage of Android apps the developers themselves don't feel are worth paying for: >90%

Market share (by revenue) for mobile apps on the Apple store: 96% according to Android fans
Market share by revenue for mobile apps on the Andriod store: <4%

So by your own metric, Android apps must be inferior.

Then, of course, there's your attempt to use a couple of example of bad Apple apps to try to prove something. Unfortunately for your argument, it proves nothing - as I explained to you, there are bad apps on both platforms. The difference is that Apple has vetted the apps and throws out about 30% that don't work at all or add no value. Most of those end up on Android. Clearly, that reduces the average quality of Android apps compared to Apple apps.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Once again, you are using stupid metrics. Most of the examples are meaningless because you don't have comparisons for Android (in percentages, not absolute figures since there are 4 times as many Apple apps).

Good to see that the absence of citable sources didn't stop you from including those stats anyway. Why let details slow you down? Good man. A go-getter. You'll go far.

The only sad part here is that you continue to miss the point. I know you get all excited about statistics and we're all very impressed, really we are. But please let me remind you of the QUALitative questions you've left on the table:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Would you kindly explain the lack of "quality" in MyFrame?:
http://apple.slashdot.org/story/10/0...ore-Developers

And just how much "quality" would you say these apps represent?:
http://gizmodo.com/5555853/the-apple...+%28Gizmodo%29

http://blog.chipp.com/are-2-million-...-a-good-thing/

By your own admission, the App Store has a great deal of merde. If you were following your own statistics you'd understand that your argument is that Apple is no better than Android in terms of junk apps, it's just that the cesspool is four times larger.

Carry on....
post #48 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

By your own admission, the App Store has a great deal of merde. If you were following your own statistics you'd understand that your argument is that Apple is no better than Android in terms of junk apps, it's just that the cesspool is four times larger.

Carry on....

Wow. I've explained it to you 5 times and you STILL don't get it.

My favorite part is where your own figures prove you're wrong - yet you keep on going with the same stupid argument that your own figures debunk.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Developers, Apple busy updating apps for iOS 4, iPhone 4