or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple e-mail says iPhone 4 will deliver a day early, on June 23
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple e-mail says iPhone 4 will deliver a day early, on June 23

post #1 of 78
Thread Starter 
An official e-mail from Apple sent to iPhone 4 purchasers specifically states that delivery of the handset will occur a day early, on June 23.

Suggesting it is not a mistake or typo, the e-mail includes the date June 23 a total of three times. That's a day earlier than Apple's previously announced release date of June 24.

"This email is to confirm that your delivery will occur on June 23rd," the official note reads. "Although Apple and FedEx tracking information may currently indicate a later date, you can check the FedEx website the morning of the June 23rd to track your package to your doorstep."

It continues, "In the event that you will not be available to accept delivery on June 23rd, it may be more convenient to use our pre-sign delivery option by visiting our Order Status website at http://www.apple.com/orderstatus."

If the iPhone 4 really is set to deliver a day early, it would be a strange move for Apple, which in the past has gone out of its way to ensure that its announced launch date is held. When the iPad was launched, the devices began shipping a week early, but sat for days at the UPS Worldport hub in Louisville, Ken., awaiting the April 3 launch date.
post #2 of 78
This is the phone that is going to substantially change the whole ballgame--AGAIN!

Face Time is going to be very significant for so many, and will leave the competition seriously hard pressed to come up with a viable alternative.

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #3 of 78
I got that email and I thought it was weird but I am very happy about it. My phone left Alaska yesterday and will very likely get here on the 23rd. My hopes are up for sure.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #4 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

This is the phone that is going to substantially change the whole ballgame--AGAIN!

Face Time is going to be very significant for so many, and will leave the competition seriously hard pressed to come up with a viable alternative.

Once it is opened up to more than just iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 (the Wifi thing, while frustrating, is understandable), I will agree with your statement. As many iPhone 4's as there will be, I would like to be able to video chat from my phone to my wife, who is using a MacBook Pro. I don't understand how Apple couldn't have opened this up to at least iChat from the start, but that was their choice. The Evo's video chat, while not as integrated, does give users more options to chat to PC's, Macs, other phones, etc.
post #5 of 78
I got this email about 2 am eastern time. I thought it was just an auto-generated thing. It'd be nice if my phone got here tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath. As far as I know, it's still in Anchorage, AK.
post #6 of 78
Makes sense with 600k iPhones pre-sold... they can spread the load on the activation servers at both Apple and ATT over 2-days.

I will say, I was presently surprised how well Apple's servers kept up with iOS 4 downloads and app store update requests yesterday. ATT could learn a thing or two.
post #7 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandersoniii View Post

Makes sense with 600k iPhones pre-sold... they can spread the load on the activation servers at both Apple and ATT over 2-days.

Interesting point. That's the one justification that seems plausible for delivering a day early.
post #8 of 78
Got my email too. I'm glad it's actually going to be delivered a day early like the fedex track showed a few day ago. I though Apple would tell them to hold it and deliver on the 24.

Early this morning at 12:29 am (eastern time) the tracking said that it arrived in Anchorage. I just checked at 8:24 am and it says that it just left memphis and is heading to my city in south florida. It should be at my fedex center by the end of the day for delivery tomorrow
post #9 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppDev View Post

Got my email too. I'm glad it's actually going to be delivered a day early like the fedex track showed a few day ago. I though Apple would tell them to hold it and deliver on the 24.

Early this morning at 12:29 am (eastern time) the tracking said that it arrived in Anchorage. I just checked at 8:24 am and it says that it just left memphis and is heading to my city in south florida. It should be at my fedex center by the end of the day for delivery tomorrow

Definitely a move to spread the activation woes over a few days.......I am hoping mine arrives on the 23rd as the email mentioned.......might allow me to activate before the whole process crashes again
post #10 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregincolumbus View Post

Definitely a move to spread the activation woes over a few days.......I am hoping mine arrives on the 23rd as the email mentioned.......might allow me to activate before the whole process crashes again

Yeah that's what I was thinking too.
post #11 of 78
This is perfect for me... this way I will be able to take it on a trip with me this weekend. I'm leaving Wed. night. Will hopefully get it in the AM, so I can run home during lunch time and sync it with my Mac, before the entire world decides to do the same.
post #12 of 78
Just checked my status and it says arrival for the 23rd, but there's no information yet on where the phone is right now.
post #13 of 78
Got the e-mail as well, and deleted it outright, then read this article. I thought for sure it was a junk mail scheme, aimed at getting me to click the link to get a pre sign thing, leading to a download that would trash my computer or something (not that it could, seeing as I have a Mac!).

But it could be true, I guess... Not just a cruel April Fool's joke a few months late.

My phone says it is still in Alaska, though, so I don't see how it is going to get here by tomorrow unless it leaves soon. The FedEx status still says 24 July.

It would be nice to have it a day early, Thursday's a busy day. LOL
post #14 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

This is perfect for me... this way I will be able to take it on a trip with me this weekend. I'm leaving Wed. night. Will hopefully get it in the AM, so I can run home during lunch time and sync it with my Mac, before the entire world decides to do the same.

I am happy for all you guys that preordered it! I have mine reserved and will be in line at 7AMon Thurday to get mine and fight all the activations that day! Lol.
Be sure to post back when you get yousr and lets know your first thoughts and impressions!

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #15 of 78
Ladies and gentlemen, start prepping your camera for the unboxing and the first hands-on of the iPhone 4, do not be afraid to jump on and ambush the FedEx delivery guy if necessary, we need you to quench the thirst of those who can't have the iPhone 4 on that day (and months afterward)..
post #16 of 78
I got my e-mail stating the same at 2:38AM this morning.
Walter Rowe Photography
Columbia, Maryland - USA
Reply
Walter Rowe Photography
Columbia, Maryland - USA
Reply
post #17 of 78
Not fair!!!
post #18 of 78
You know this same thing happened with the 3GS right, and FedEx held them until launch day. I give it 10% probability of actually happening....I just don't see Apple doing that. That would piss off a LOT of campers and preorder people.
post #19 of 78
The part of this email that makes me suspicious is the part about the print and sign FedEx form. We ALL know that has never worked when it comes to an apple delivery. I'll be waiting, but not counting on it till Thursday.
post #20 of 78
FedEx tracking says it's in NJ, but with expected delivery on the 24th. Email said 23rd. I don't wanna pre-sign as I typically get 2-3 deliveries a day and don't feel like having the USPS or UPS guy getting my iPhone...not to mention the solicitors. I also don't want to waste 2 days sitting around waiting if it's not coming.
post #21 of 78
I also got this email at 12:38 central time overnight. Tracking shows that my iPhone is still in Memphis this morning, so now I am anxiously awaiting it's local arrival.

In my mind a good move by Apple, whether the intent is to spread out server load, to appease some customers after last week's order debacle, or to create additional positive buzz. I'm sure there will be plenty of news about those who cannot get the new phone. Maybe Apple will have enough on hand in store that everyone will be happy on Thursday!
post #22 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbaCTrumpetMSU View Post

You know this same thing happened with the 3GS right, and FedEx held them until launch day. I give it 10% probability of actually happening....I just don't see Apple doing that. That would piss off a LOT of campers and preorder people.

Huh? Apple never sent out an official email saying that their 3GSs would be sent out a day early. These emails ARE being sent to the pre-orderers.
post #23 of 78
Mine showed the 23rd from the get-go (at least going by FedEx's tracking). I just assumed it would eventually change to the 24th since FedEx's estimates are not always correct. Then I got the email from Apple last night. That's awesome. Especially since I must've been one of the last to get in on the 15th. I was on vacation and didn't have internet access other than on my iPhone. I tried about 3 pm eastern and it failed at the AT&T authorization. I figured I'd give it another shot later and I tried at 11:15 pm and got through and the order placed. Then I started reading about people getting canceled and I figured I'd be one of those since I ordered so late. But I guess I squeaked in and on top of that I get it a day later!
post #24 of 78
Received the same email for my iPhone ordered from Apple.

My iPhone ordered from A&T finally received a tracking number, it has no known delivery date, it's being shipped through UPS and it's located in Memphis, TN, of all places. i would be at all concerned about the odd location except that I also received an email from AT&T the day before congratulating me on my new 3GS.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #25 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgspb View Post

The part of this email that makes me suspicious is the part about the print and sign FedEx form. We ALL know that has never worked when it comes to an apple delivery. I'll be waiting, but not counting on it till Thursday.

I have had numerous Apple/Fedex deliveries over the last several years..all left at my door with the "sign and leave" form taped to the outside.
post #26 of 78
Cool! Apple has always gone out of their way to prevent this from happening. I won't get to enjoy the phone a day early this go around, but good for those who will.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #27 of 78
While the impending early delivery may be atypical for Apple, it does make a great deal of sense. By delivering some of the phones early they can relieve some of the congestion that will be hitting their site for activation of the phones. Perhaps they learned from past experience and this was intended all along.
post #28 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgspb View Post

The part of this email that makes me suspicious is the part about the print and sign FedEx form. We ALL know that has never worked when it comes to an apple delivery. I'll be waiting, but not counting on it till Thursday.

I used the pre-auth form for my iPad with no problems. I got the e-mail also and the Fed Ex tracking says that my iPhone has arrived at my local Fed Ex office. I will be using the pre-auth form for this delivery also.
post #29 of 78
I ordered my iPhone 4 through my local AT&T store and received the emailed FedEx tracking number a couple of days ago. However FedEx still doesn't recognize that number. I've occasionally seen that in the past, with the first official appearance of the shipment in FedEx's system being when it's delivered.

Or... maybe my iPhone 4 fell off the back of a truck in Hong Kong.
post #30 of 78
Tracking states delivery on the 23rd by 10:30 AM, less than 24 hours to go!

I got this email this morning, and was very surprised. Even though my tracking has stated since shipment that it would be delivered the 23rd, that seemed very unusual for Apple.

Guess they smartened up and figured they could throw the pre-order customers a bone. Give it to us a day early, since we lost an entire day trying to place the preorder to begin with, lol.

Can't Wait!
post #31 of 78
My iPhone 4 left Fort Worth Texas today and has a FedEx delivery date of June 23rd. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it's too late.
post #32 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgspb View Post

The part of this email that makes me suspicious is the part about the print and sign FedEx form. We ALL know that has never worked when it comes to an apple delivery. I'll be waiting, but not counting on it till Thursday.

You have obviously never ordered from Apple before when they ship FedEx. They have ALWAYS offered the pre-sign form, which is a real FedEx form. I have done that many times when I am not going to be home. If you don't believe it, log on to Apple and check your shipping status. There will be a link to pre-sign for your package and you can print out the PDF and leave it on your front door if you are not going to be home to sign for it.
post #33 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You have obviously never ordered from Apple before when they ship FedEx. They have ALWAYS offered the pre-sign form, which is a real FedEx form. I have done that many times when I am not going to be home. If you don't believe it, log on to Apple and check your shipping status. There will be a link to pre-sign for your package and you can print out the PDF and leave it on your front door if you are not going to be home to sign for it.

Works every time. Never has this not worked. What doesn't work is leaving a piece of cardboard that says, "Plz leave pkg, thx!"

Leaving the official fed ex form, signed properly, does work. Its why they have it...
post #34 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdive View Post

My iPhone 4 left Fort Worth Texas today and has a FedEx delivery date of June 23rd. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it's too late.

No need to fear. Your hopes may rest securely in the elevated position. There are many good reasons for Apple to do this. Most have already been mentioned in this thread. I bet they know exactly how many people placed orders, and how much their servers can handle. I am also guessing that the lines will be like no other consumer product release in history. They will need as much good press as they can get because the servers are still going to be overwhelmed, and the tech writers will still find a way to make the most successful product launch in history out to be a failure.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #35 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

No need to fear. Your hopes may rest securely in the elevated position. There are many good reasons for Apple to do this. Most have already been mentioned in this thread. I bet they know exactly how many people placed orders, and how much their servers can handle. I am also guessing that the lines will be like no other consumer product release in history. They will need as much good press as they can get because the servers are still going to be overwhelmed, and the tech writers will still find a way to make the most successful product launch in history out to be a failure.

I'm sure spreading the activation demand more evenly is one good reason for this, but MY guess is the big reason is to step all over the Android X intro set for June 23rd.
post #36 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by snodman View Post

I'm sure spreading the activation demand more evenly is one good reason for this, but MY guess is the big reason is to step all over the Android X intro set for June 23rd.

Well, sir, I think you just won the prize for best conspiracy theory of the week. I have to say, it makes a lot of sense, especially since the Droid launch was intended to blunt the iP4 release.

Oh, what a tangle web...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #37 of 78
Is there a FedEx pre-sign form available for those who ordered through AT&T instead of Apple? I couldn't find one.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #38 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Is there a FedEx pre-sign form available for those who ordered through AT&T instead of Apple? I couldn't find one.

So this is the deal, the next couple of days are going to reveal a real class distinction that breaks down like so: those who did a proper preorder through Apple, and everyone else. If you did it the Apple way, you will be good to go. If you did AT&T, BB, RS, or WM, put your head between your knees and kiss your butt goodbye. It is going to be a long weekend.

I hammered the Apple website all day on Monday, and didn't get in until the evening. It was worth it for those who made it. Preordering anywhere else is a lot like not preordering. Or perhaps, it is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're going to get.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #39 of 78
but MY guess is the big reason is to step all over the Android X intro set for June 23rd.

I think their strategy for the Android X was just to ignore it and make iPhone 4 how they were going to make it anyway . . .
post #40 of 78
I got this email around 2:30am. FedEx tracking shows that my phone is currently right across the Hudson in Newark, NJ. I feel pretty certain that I'm getting mine tomorrow.

I can't wait to activate it and take a stroll by the line of campers at the 5th avenue store while I'm having a FaceTime chat with one of my friends.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple e-mail says iPhone 4 will deliver a day early, on June 23