or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces 3 million iPads sold in first 80 days
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces 3 million iPads sold in first 80 days

post #1 of 171
Thread Starter 
Apple on Tuesday revealed that its new multitouch iPad sold 3 million units in the product's first 80 days of availability, with the most recent million sold in just three weeks.

"People are loving iPad as it becomes a part of their daily lives," Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said. "We're working hard to get this magical product into the hands of even more people around the world, including those in nine more countries next month."

Apple also said that developers have created more than 11,000 new applications for the iPad that take advantage of its multitouch user interface, large screen and high-quality graphics. In addition, it will run almost all of the more than 225,000 apps on the App Store, including apps already purchased for an iPhone or iPod touch.

Apple sold its first million iPads in less than a month, reaching that milestone in 28 days. The 2 million sales point was later reached in less than two months.

The numbers show that the pace of sales for the iPad has not slowed since it first launched with the Wi-Fi-only version in the U.S. alone on April 3. Later that month, the iPad 3G was released in America, and remained consistently sold out at Apple's retail stores for weeks.

The iPad launched in nine more countries on May 28, making its debut in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the U.K. The international launch was originally delayed due to high demand in the U.S.

Further launches in Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore will occur in July. Apple said it will announce launch dates for nine additional countries at a later date.

Users can browse the web, read and send email, enjoy and share photos, watch HD videos, listen to music, play games, read ebooks and much more, all using iPad's multitouch user interface. The devic is 0.5 inches thin and weighs 1.5 pounds, making it thinner and lighter than any laptop or netbook, while still delivering up to 10 hours of battery life.
post #2 of 171
More than a million a month? It looks like those who have forecasted ten million by the end of the calendar year won't be far off, maybe even somewhat low.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #3 of 171
I just read Andy Zahy's article on Apple's financials for this quarter, where he again thinks Apple will blow it out. He thinks that Apple will sell 3 million for the quarter, but says that he will revise his estimates as more info comes in.

I suppose he will have to do that now. Apple could sell another 200,000 by the end of the quarter, supposing supplies are available.
post #4 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

More than a million a month? It looks like those who have forecasted ten million by the end of the calendar year won't be far off, maybe even somewhat low.

Agreed Dr., especially when they open it up to more and more countries!

What a winner! coupled with the iPhone selling (pre-orders) 10x faster than the 3Gs...unbelievable!
post #5 of 171
Greatest time in the history of Apple to buy their products and own their stock. It's a Festivus miracle!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #6 of 171
What are they classifying the iPad as? I mean, are we going to see a massive jump in Apple market share because they are counting the iPad as a computer or will it just have 100% of the sub-netbook market? Personally I'd like to see them count as computers so all those companies who have made huge market share gains simply by selling $300 netbooks will know they aren't the only ones who can play that game
post #7 of 171
Jobs said they have a lot of brand new products coming out! Here's hoping for a 15" iPad with a 30 pin connector on on the side for the BT keyboard stand!

That would be fabulous for presentations!

You heard it here first.

Best
post #8 of 171
Seems like the pace of sales should have increased after the international launch.
post #9 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

What are they classifying the iPad as? I mean, are we going to see a massive jump in Apple market share because they are counting the iPad as a computer or will it just have 100% of the sub-netbook market? Personally I'd like to see them count as computers so all those companies who have made huge market share gains simply by selling $300 netbooks will know they aren't the only ones who can play that game

It's definitely a portable computing device that would not be classified as either a phone or personal music player. Only other category is a type of computer, whether you call it an ultraportable, tablet, or what have you.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #10 of 171
http://www.mediabistro.com/mobilecon...its_165046.asp

What idiots.

Around the world in 80 days.

Impressive Apple!
post #11 of 171
I wonder how this figure compares to the combined total of everyone else's tablet PCs for the past three years.
post #12 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Seems like the pace of sales should have increased after the international launch.

Supply and demand: they're only now starting to ship more iPads quicker. 1 million of those iPads were sold in the last 3 weeks, which means there is an increase. Just imagine holiday season, in addition to other international markets being added. Next year will see numbers sold in far greater excess, as Apple adds some very lust-worthy features, like Retina display, probable Facetime camera, more RAM, greater battery life, and maybe a few unknown surprises. Apple's meteoric rise is blowing the roof off of the world.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #13 of 171
With it missing so many features, like no USB, No Flash, No (fill in the blank)
and on and on and on.

Apple is Doomed !!!
post #14 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

What are they classifying the iPad as? I mean, are we going to see a massive jump in Apple market share because they are counting the iPad as a computer or will it just have 100% of the sub-netbook market? Personally I'd like to see them count as computers so all those companies who have made huge market share gains simply by selling $300 netbooks will know they aren't the only ones who can play that game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

It's definitely a portable computing device that would not be classified as either a phone or personal music player. Only other category is a type of computer, whether you call it an ultraportable, tablet, or what have you.

Yeah but you need a computer to use it, personally Apple has to solve this necessity and make the iPad completely independent.
post #15 of 171
The reason the sales are so bad is because evil Apple won't allow amazing Flash to run on it!

In related news: http://www.pcworld.com/article/19950...html?tk=hp_blg

What excuse do people have now for not getting rid of Flash on their websites? Don't they want the views?
post #16 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The numbers show that the pace of sales for the iPad has not slowed since it first launched with the Wi-Fi-only version in the U.S. alone on April 3.

At first I thought they were slowing down, if ever so slightly, but sales are accelerating. They started with an average of 35,714 per day for the 1st million, then moved to 34,483 per day for the 2nd million, and now 37,500 per day for the 3rd million.


PS: When does this quarter end?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I wonder how this figure compares to the combined total of everyone else's tablet PCs for the past three years.

I don't know why this should even matter. Apple's primary goal is to continue to grow revenues and profits. Abstract comparisons to other (vaguely) similar products don't really enter into this calculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Yeah but you need a computer to use it, personally Apple has to solve this necessity and make the iPad completely independent.

Constantly repeating a myth does not make it true.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #18 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

More than a million a month?

...or to break it down further, that's 26~27 iPads every minute. Not bad, considering the device sells anywhere between $500~$700. That's an average of $16,000 coming into their coffer every 60 seconds.
post #19 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Yeah but you need a computer to use it, personally Apple has to solve this necessity and make the iPad completely independent.

When you get a new computer, what is the first thing you usually do? Load on all your old information, files, music, videos, pictues, emails, etc., usually from another computer, and sometimes from a hard drive or CDs. The iPad does the same thing with its transfer. I agree it would be very nice to be able to transfer media using a hard drive or USB, but it is not neccessary. It helps mostly on a psycological level, really, to not need to connect to a computer before using it (even though the Apple store will do that for you if you want).
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #20 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Seems like the pace of sales should have increased after the international launch.

It's supply constrained. From publicly-released info... (too lazy to upload the graph)

Their initial sales rate was just under 26,000 units per day, they jumped to 33,000 units per day in two months, and are now running at 45,500 units per day. You have to assume that all manufactured units are sold after the initial channel-stuffing for displays, etc.

I'm not sure they can justify increasing production to 55-60k units per day, but I think they are in a very good place with 45k units per day or 1.35MM per month. That would put them at about 4MM for the next quarter!

That should be about $1 EPS from iPads alone. Add in what the App Store is bringing in now, and I think you are in a very healthy place owning Apple stock!!
post #21 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

At first I thought they were slowing down, if ever so slightly, but sales are accelerating. They started with an average of 35,714 per day for the 1st million, then moved to 34,483 per day for the 2nd million, and now 37,500 per day for the 3rd million.


like the chart, but it would probably be more clear if you adjusted the numbers to show how many days it took to reach each million marker (smaller lines are better).
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #22 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

What are they classifying the iPad as? I mean, are we going to see a massive jump in Apple market share because they are counting the iPad as a computer or will it just have 100% of the sub-netbook market? Personally I'd like to see them count as computers so all those companies who have made huge market share gains simply by selling $300 netbooks will know they aren't the only ones who can play that game

The iPad will probably be classified as a "media tablet", a new category separate from computers, smartphones, and portable devices like the iPods.

Industry analysts will probably compare the iPad to netbooks for the time being since there's nothing else in the "media tablet" category. Once Apple has more competitors in this space, I'm guessing that analysts will stop comparing it to netbooks.

In their quarterly earnings statement next month, I'm guessing Apple will break out iPad numbers from Mac sales, iPhone sales, and iPod sales. It is doubtful that they would include iPad in any of those three other product families.
post #23 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

What excuse do people have now for not getting rid of Flash on their websites? Don't they want the views?

It probably makes more sense to develop a simplified version of your web site to specifically address the small screen mobile market regardless if you have Flash on your main site or not. iPad has limited ram so even if you were to create animations in HTML5 you should probably keep it simple.
post #24 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Yeah but you need a computer to use it, personally Apple has to solve this necessity and make the iPad completely independent.

I agree. Version 2.0 of the iPad should reach "magical" status. No wires...except for charging, printing, better document managment, front facing camera, more RAM, new display.

As far as marketshare....1 million PC's are sold every day. iPad will roar up to some number and slow way down. Because of the iPhone world wide infrastructure they have slowly...very slowly built out, it allows them to push the iPad out faster to the world and that is why we will see it explode numbers wise, pretty quickly.
post #25 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I don't know why this should even matter. Apple's primary goal is to continue to grow revenues and profits. Abstract comparisons to other (vaguely) similar products don't really enter into this calculation.

I just think it would be interesting. There have been tablets on the market for a decade, and Bill Gates has been exclaiming it's the future for just as long. But until the iPad, tablets haven't had much luck actually selling. It's incredible how Apple can come into a product market where others have worked for years, and instantly become the best in the category with their first try.
post #26 of 171
Wow! Just, Wow! Consider what this does to the competitive landscape from a PR/marketing perspective. Now, when the Android, BB, Palm, W7 clones start rolling out and selling in the tens of thousands, it will not even be considered a success compared to the iPad sales numbers. Before, 50,000 Droid Pads in the first year would have been considered a wildly successful product. Now, if it can't do a million out of the gate, it has already failed. This is a real kick in the crotch for the wannabes.

At this point, I think iPad and iPhone sales figures should be issued as metric buttloads.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #27 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

It helps mostly on a psycological level, really, to not need to connect to a computer before using it (even though the Apple store will do that for you if you want).

You should connect your iPad to a computer on a regular basis to backup your data. Remember, if you have to send it to Apple for repair they will actually give you a replacement iPad and you will lose all the information and content on the original.
post #28 of 171
Assuming they can increase supply, which I'm skeptical of (I've posted before about the lack of Flash memory manufacturing at the moment), I could see the rate of sales increasing as word of mouth really starts to take hold.

Having bought my iPad three weeks ago, I've been amazed by it myself. I thought the lack of Flash would be annoying, but I've only gone to one website so far that has prevented me doing what I wanted to because it was Flash only, and I found myself annoyed with the website rather than annoyed with the iPad.

One thing that has really impressed me about the thing has been the battery life. I had to fly to Hong Kong a couple of weeks ago and that's a 14 hour flight, so I assumed I would be out of battery before the flight was over. However, having watched 11.5 hours of movies, the battery had only dropped from 100% down to 55%. I find that incredible. For people who travel a lot, I see this as close to a must have device.

The knock on effect is I've been banging on to all who will listen (and many who won't) just how good it is.

Furthermore, everyone who has played with mine has said they will now consider getting one - even my mother who has no interest in technology has decided to get one. I really think Apple has hit the jackpot here.
post #29 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Yeah but you need a computer to use it, personally Apple has to solve this necessity and make the iPad completely independent.

1) You need a computer to activate it for the first time. It doesn't require a "computer" to be used. You can activate on a Mac in an Apple Store or at a friend or family member's house.

2) You say it needs to be "solved" implying this is some obstacle Apple has been able to overcome, despite this clearly being a design choice to clearly push this as a satellite "computing" device not a replacement for a PC.

3) Why does Apple have to do anything because you say so? It's already sold 1/3 of all tablets reportedly sold in all of 2009 and it's a brand new product. Is there lead so large that you wish them to ruin their product so others can catch up?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #30 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

With it missing so many features, like no USB, No Flash, No (fill in the blank)
and on and on and on.

Apple is Doomed !!!

Jeez. You told this joke twice yesterday. How how much mileage do you think you can get out of it?
post #31 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Constantly repeating a myth does not make it true.

It is though, at least initially. I remember one of the selling points given in the January presentation that it's turned on and ready to go. It's possible that person mispoke. It is turned on but doesn't allow you to do anything until you connect it to a computer. When people first started getting a hold of them, they often stopped at the food court or whatever afterwards, and were stymied that they couldn't do anything with it, often having left their computer at home.

Just like iPhone and Touch, it works fine on its own afterwards without any computer connection, though that's still the only apparent way to back it up. So no one as yet can go 100% without a regular PC/Mac without risking data. OS updates require a computer as well, that's understandable given the ginormous size of the OS updates.

Anyhow, averaging more than a million a month is pretty impressive.
post #32 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

like the chart, but it would probably be more clear if you adjusted the numbers to show how many days it took to reach each million marker (smaller lines are better).

I'm quite inept at anything "graphical". I couldn't find and option for the line to show the value for each day in bar or below. I'll check again.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #33 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Users can browse the web, read and send email, enjoy and share photos, watch HD videos, listen to music, play games, read ebooks and much more, all using iPad's multitouch user interface.

I own one, and it's great, but I find myself drifting more and more back to my Mac for doing the above tasks. It's not that the Mac is better, in fact iPad Mail is my favorite mail program ever, it's just that there's a bunch of other stuff I have to do that only the computer has apps for, so it's easier to just keep working than switch devices.

Also, for time consuming tasks, it's hard to get comfortable with an iPad. I guess that is one issue the iPhone never faced - the issue of long term comfortable position - because people mostly use it for quick 1 or 2 minute tasks before putting it back in their pocket.

Anyway congrats on the numbers.
post #34 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) You need a computer to activate it for the first time. It doesn't require a "computer" to be used. You can activate on a Mac in an Apple Store or at a friend or family member's house.

2) You say it needs to be "solved" implying this is some obstacle Apple has been able to overcome, despite this clearly being a design choice to clearly push this as a satellite "computing" device not a replacement for a PC.

3) Why does Apple have to do anything because you say so? It's already sold 1/3 of all tablets reportedly sold in all of 2009 and it's a brand new product. Is there lead so large that you wish them to ruin their product so others can catch up?

I agree with you here. The need for wires is unlikely to go away for this sort of device, but at the same time, I've not plugged mine into a computer for over two weeks now.

I'll plug it in when I need to transfer a lot of data but that's not something I need to do on a day to day basis. In practice, when I need to transfer data it's swapping the movies I have stored on the thing, and I can't see how that could be done without a computer, I mean, transferring multiple gigabytes over a wireless connection is going to take ages.
post #35 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I just think it would be interesting. There have been tablets on the market for a decade, and Bill Gates has been exclaiming it's the future for just as long. But until the iPad, tablets haven't had much luck actually selling. It's incredible how Apple can come into a product market where others have worked for years, and instantly become the best in the category with their first try.

It would be politically interesting I suppose, but I think it would be wrong to extrapolate these comparative numbers into any reading of success or failure for the product -- which you have to know will happen. For instance Apple is typically "ranked" with the other PC makers, as though their relative size in terms of unit sales is a useful indicator of anything, when the only relevant statistic is how much they made this quarter compared to a previous quarter. You can be sure this is Apple's actual goal, not becoming the "number four PC maker" or beating HP in units shipped, or some such arbitrary abstraction of success. In the case of the iPad, the abstraction will have to be even more arbitrary, since at least currently the product doesn't directly compete with anything.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #36 of 171
Ralph calls his iPad "Patty"
post #37 of 171
Buy, buy, buy. Dump your old computers.
Then what? It's just too depressing that the computer hardware industry does not have plans IN PLACE for the safe, environmentally responsible disposal of its products. This is as bad as BP (and others) going ahead and drilling without a back up plan to immediately contain a serious accident.
post #38 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushka53 View Post

Buy, buy, buy. Dump your old computers.
Then what? It's just too depressing that the computer hardware industry does not have plans IN PLACE for the safe, environmentally responsible disposal of its products. This is as bad as BP (and others) going ahead and drilling without a back up plan to immediately contain a serious accident.

My old computers are still running nicely thank you.
post #39 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


3) Why does Apple have to do anything because you say so? It's already sold 1/3 of all tablets reportedly sold in all of 2009 and it's a brand new product. Is there lead so large that you wish them to ruin their product so others can catch up?

I'm not sure of what you mean by tablet here. If we're talking about tablets in the sense of say, 7" or larger screens, then in 2009 most tablets sold were Windows tablets. There were about 1.5 million of those sold last year. With Apple selling 3 million so far, that would be almost twice the sales of all tablets sold in 2009, not one third.
post #40 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) You need a computer to activate it for the first time. It doesn't require a "computer" to be used. You can activate on a Mac in an Apple Store or at a friend or family member's house.

If you activate your iPad on one computer and then later connect it to a different computer what will happen? I remember the iPod never liked multiple computers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces 3 million iPads sold in first 80 days