or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces 3 million iPads sold in first 80 days
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces 3 million iPads sold in first 80 days - Page 2

post #41 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I agree with you here. The need for wires is unlikely to go away for this sort of device, but at the same time, I've not plugged mine into a computer for over two weeks now.

I'll plug it in when I need to transfer a lot of data but that's not something I need to do on a day to day basis. In practice, when I need to transfer data it's swapping the movies I have stored on the thing, and I can't see how that could be done without a computer, I mean, transferring multiple gigabytes over a wireless connection is going to take ages.

I fully expect Apple to eventually make the iPad not need to be connected to a PC with iTunes installed to activate it, but I think we'll have to wait until at least iPad iOS v4.x and for that massive data center to have been built, with whatever they turn LaLa into up and running along with other cloud services they have planned. It will still be designed and focused as an accessory satellite device, but a physical connection to a PC won't be requirement.

Interestingly, the new iBooks 1.1 sync your bookmarks and notes via your iTunes Store account (if I read that correctly). It sounds to me like it's kept on Apple's iTunes servers, not just your local iTunes Library and not via MobileMe. Is the first sign of what is to come? I think eventually the first thing you'll do with the iPad is either plug it in to activate it or login to iTunes on the device to activate it. Either way, though, I think an internet connection to first use it will be needed.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #42 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It is though, at least initially. I remember one of the selling points given in the January presentation that it's turned on and ready to go. It's possible that person mispoke. It is turned on but doesn't allow you to do anything until you connect it to a computer. When people first started getting a hold of them, they often stopped at the food court or whatever afterwards, and were stymied that they couldn't do anything with it, often having left their computer at home.

Just like iPhone and Touch, it works fine on its own afterwards without any computer connection, though that's still the only apparent way to back it up. So no one as yet can go 100% without a regular PC/Mac without risking data. OS updates require a computer as well, that's understandable given the ginormous size of the OS updates.

Anyhow, averaging more than a million a month is pretty impressive.

Im sure Apple employees tell customers it needs to be connected to a computer before use and then offered to set it up in the store if they wanted to use it right away. This scenario is more likely than what you posted.
post #43 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

If you activate your iPad on one computer and then later connect it to a different computer what will happen? I remember the iPod never liked multiple computers.

Nothing will happen. When we bought the iPhone 3G back in 2008 we were required to activate it in store using the store Macs. You just connect it and when the welcome/registration page appear you disconnect it. No syncing no problems.
post #44 of 171
this is a fluke. the ipad is just a trendy device to own with almost no original or useful functionality. It has no future.



:x
post #45 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Greatest time in the history of Apple to buy their products and own their stock. It's a Festivus miracle!


awe



some


apple


world


domination


server farms


ringing the

planet


i dream now of a small mvno video/talk nano phone


when rio gave us a crap device w/ 20 songs we dreamed of a ipod


9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #46 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It is though, at least initially. I remember one of the selling points given in the January presentation that it's turned on and ready to go. It's possible that person mispoke. It is turned on but doesn't allow you to do anything until you connect it to a computer. When people first started getting a hold of them, they often stopped at the food court or whatever afterwards, and were stymied that they couldn't do anything with it, often having left their computer at home.

Just like iPhone and Touch, it works fine on its own afterwards without any computer connection, though that's still the only apparent way to back it up. So no one as yet can go 100% without a regular PC/Mac without risking data. OS updates require a computer as well, that's understandable given the ginormous size of the OS updates.

Anyhow, averaging more than a million a month is pretty impressive.

We had ours activated at the 14th st Apple store here in NYC. I immediately bought several apps at the store over their WiFi. If people buying iPads are like most computer users, they won't back up their devices at home. You'd be surprised at how many people don't bother upgrading their OS either.

So I suppose, for the trusting, a computer won't be needed. If data can be backed up using Mobile Me, which I don't use, so I don't know too much about how it works, then that would be all that most people need. After all, if you want to download an app you already have, you can do so for free, so losing apps isn't that important. It's just the data and contacts.
post #47 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

this is a fluke. the ipad is just a trendy device to own with almost no original or useful functionality. It has no future.



:x

omg
aPPLE is doomed
teckstud was right
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #48 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm not sure of what you mean by tablet here. If we're talking about tablets in the sense of say, 7" or larger screens, then in 2009 most tablets sold were Windows tablets. There were about 1.5 million of those sold last year. With Apple selling 3 million so far, that would be almost twice the sales of all tablets sold in 2009, not one third.

Before the iPad launched I recall reading that there were ~10M tablets sold for all of 2009. That includes all the bulky Windows XP/Vista/7 tablets. I thought it was Mossberg who stated that but now that the iPad is been rumoured to sell 10M units this year I can't seem to locate the article.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #49 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

this is a fluke. the ipad is just a trendy device to own with almost no original or useful functionality. It has no future.



:x

Your still in the denial stage. Some people take more time to see the light.
post #50 of 171
.

Just think what iPad sales could have been if it had a proper OS!

/sarcasm

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #51 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

.

Just think what iPad sales could have been if it had a proper OS!

/sarcasm

.

You're absolutely right. I'm now awaiting the iPhone 4 to completely flop at the end of this month.

To be perfectly honest I think it will be a miracle if Apple have not gone under by the end of the year.
post #52 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

With it missing so many features, like no USB, No Flash, No (fill in the blank)
and on and on and on.

Apple is Doomed !!!

The trolls will never be silenced, even in the face of their complete, epic fail to denigrate the iPad. It's what they do. It's who they are, disgruntled haters. We just need to start laughing at them instead of giving them the time of day. Just keep adding them to our ignore lists until they are spewing into thin air.
post #53 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

this is a fluke. the ipad is just a trendy device to own with almost no original or useful functionality. It has no future.



:x

post #54 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Yeah but you need a computer to use it, personally Apple has to solve this necessity and make the iPad completely independent.

I think that's smart thinking on their part. It may seem like a deficiency but it's part of the plan.

JB
post #55 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Assuming they can increase supply, which I'm skeptical of (I've posted before about the lack of Flash memory manufacturing at the moment), I could see the rate of sales increasing as word of mouth really starts to take hold.

At some point supply will catch up to demand. I suspect that will be mid-late Feb 2011. Apple has another card to play with this device-- one that will truly change the world!

Quote:
Having bought my iPad three weeks ago, I've been amazed by it myself. I thought the lack of Flash would be annoying, but I've only gone to one website so far that has prevented me doing what I wanted to because it was Flash only, and I found myself annoyed with the website rather than annoyed with the iPad.

So true-- if Flash had performed badly, the average user, likely, would have blamed the iPad
Quote:

One thing that has really impressed me about the thing has been the battery life. I had to fly to Hong Kong a couple of weeks ago and that's a 14 hour flight, so I assumed I would be out of battery before the flight was over. However, having watched 11.5 hours of movies, the battery had only dropped from 100% down to 55%. I find that incredible. For people who travel a lot, I see this as close to a must have device.

The knock on effect is I've been banging on to all who will listen (and many who won't) just how good it is.

Furthermore, everyone who has played with mine has said they will now consider getting one - even my mother who has no interest in technology has decided to get one. I really think Apple has hit the jackpot here.

+++QFT

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #56 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I fully expect Apple to eventually make the iPad not need to be connected to a PC with iTunes installed to activate it, but I think we'll have to wait until at least iPad iOS v4.x and for that massive data center to have been built, with whatever they turn LaLa into up and running along with other cloud services they have planned. It will still be designed and focused as an accessory satellite device, but a physical connection to a PC won't be requirement.

Interestingly, the new iBooks 1.1 sync your bookmarks and notes via your iTunes Store account (if I read that correctly). It sounds to me like it's kept on Apple's iTunes servers, not just your local iTunes Library and not via MobileMe. Is the first sign of what is to come? I think eventually the first thing you'll do with the iPad is either plug it in to activate it or login to iTunes on the device to activate it. Either way, though, I think an internet connection to first use it will be needed.

What I didn't expect about iBooks it that it doesn't tell you anything about the books you have bought on the iPad. If you want them on the iPhone as well, you have to go the the bookstore, go to purchases, and re-download each of them. It also doesn't seem to come with Winnie The Poo. I didn't check, but I suppose you have to download that separately as well.
post #57 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Before the iPad launched I recall reading that there were ~10M tablets sold for all of 2009. That includes all the bulky Windows XP/Vista/7 tablets. I thought it was Mossberg who stated that but now that the iPad is been rumoured to sell 10M units this year I can't seem to locate the article.

Only 1.5 million Windows tablets sold last year. The year before, it was 2.5 million. That was the high.

I don't know of any other tablets that accounted for more than very minor sales.
post #58 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We had ours activated at the 14th st Apple store here in NYC. I immediately bought several apps at the store over their WiFi. If people buying iPads are like most computer users, they won't back up their devices at home. You'd be surprised at how many people don't bother upgrading their OS either.

So I suppose, for the trusting, a computer won't be needed. If data can be backed up using Mobile Me, which I don't use, so I don't know too much about how it works, then that would be all that most people need. After all, if you want to download an app you already have, you can do so for free, so losing apps isn't that important. It's just the data and contacts.

One of the supposed "dependencies" of the iPad is the need to connect it to something else for backup. The answer to this criticism is so obvious that it's hardly worth mentioning. Just let me know when a Mac or PC can be backed up without connecting it to something, then this will be an argument. (FWIW, if you are a MobileMe subscriber, contacts, calendar and bookmarks are all cloud stored.)

That said, I don't suppose many people will be buying an iPad as their sole method of computing, but that's not because of dependancies. The point here is that for all intents and purposes, the iPad works independently of a Mac or PC.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #59 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Yeah but you need a computer to use it, personally Apple has to solve this necessity and make the iPad completely independent.

No, you don't need a computer to use it. The Apple Store will be happy to activate it for you - and then it will work without a computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

At first I thought they were slowing down, if ever so slightly, but sales are accelerating. They started with an average of 35,714 per day for the 1st million, then moved to 34,483 per day for the 2nd million, and now 37,500 per day for the 3rd million.

The reason it is accelerating almost certainly has nothing to do with demand. Apple could have sold a lot more if they had supply. I'm fairly certain that all you're seeing is some gradual improvements in the manufacturing yields and production cycles. The effect is even more pronounced when you consider that the first month's sales probably had 8 weeks worth of production time. Second month was probably a bit more than 4 weeks of production because they apparently held some units back for the international market. Third month is probably closer to actual production rates.

Thus, daily production rates were probably 20-25 K the first month, 30-35 K the second month and 37 K the third month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

You should connect your iPad to a computer on a regular basis to backup your data. Remember, if you have to send it to Apple for repair they will actually give you a replacement iPad and you will lose all the information and content on the original.

No, you don't.

First, many casual users never back up their computer at all. Even those who do can use MobileMe. No need to own your own computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Before the iPad launched I recall reading that there were ~10M tablets sold for all of 2009. That includes all the bulky Windows XP/Vista/7 tablets. I thought it was Mossberg who stated that but now that the iPad is been rumoured to sell 10M units this year I can't seem to locate the article.

That is not correct. The projection was 10 M units in 2010 - including the iPad. The report was that total tablet sales for 2009 was around 1.1 M units - roughly the number of iPads sold every month.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...pcs05_ST_N.htm
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #60 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It also doesn't seem to come with Winnie The Poo. I didn't check, but I suppose you have to download that separately as well.

What doesn't come with Winnie The Pooh? I upgraded my 3GS last night to iOS 4, downloaded the iBooks app and Winnie the Pooh was there on the bookshelf in iBooks.
post #61 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What I didn't expect about iBooks it that it doesn't tell you anything about the books you have bought on the iPad. If you want them on the iPhone as well, you have to go the the bookstore, go to purchases, and re-download each of them. It also doesn't seem to come with Winnie The Poo. I didn't check, but I suppose you have to download that separately as well.

Winnie was offered the first time I entered the book store.
post #62 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

What doesn't come with Winnie The Pooh? I upgraded my 3GS last night to iOS 4, downloaded the iBooks app and Winnie the Pooh was there on the bookshelf in iBooks.

When I downloaded iBooks it did not come with Winnie The Pooh, though it's free to download separately.

Wonder why it's different from user to user?
post #63 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

One of the supposed "dependencies" of the iPad is the need to connect it to something else for backup. The answer to this criticism is so obvious that it's hardly worth mentioning. Just let me know when a Mac or PC can be backed up without connecting it to something, then this will be an argument.

The slight difference that you don't acknowledge is that computers don't require being connected to whole another computer to be backed up. It can write to a second hard drive or even optical discs if your apps and data are small enough. A $100 external hard drive is a far cry from a $1000 computer.
post #64 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I wonder how this figure compares to the combined total of everyone else's tablet PCs for the past three years.

Great point!!! And you won't see that as a title of an article either. If Apple made "PC's" then this would be a huge talking point.
post #65 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I fully expect Apple to eventually make the iPad not need to be connected to a PC with iTunes installed to activate it, but I think we'll have to wait until at least iPad iOS v4.x and for that massive data center to have been built, with whatever they turn LaLa into up and running along with other cloud services they have planned. It will still be designed and focused as an accessory satellite device, but a physical connection to a PC won't be requirement.

Interestingly, the new iBooks 1.1 sync your bookmarks and notes via your iTunes Store account (if I read that correctly). It sounds to me like it's kept on Apple's iTunes servers, not just your local iTunes Library and not via MobileMe. Is the first sign of what is to come? I think eventually the first thing you'll do with the iPad is either plug it in to activate it or login to iTunes on the device to activate it. Either way, though, I think an internet connection to first use it will be needed.

I can visualize the remote activation through iTunes-- either WiFi or Cell. Further, I can see Apple cutting deals with multiple carriers in every country to include 1 week (or one month) of cell access (included in the purchase of the device). Something like:


1) Turn your iPad on for the first time-- a WiFi/cell scanner app starts and picks a default connection pipe.
2) The user Taps OK and is taken to a iTunes Activation screen (each device comes with an iTunes account)
3) Activation and software update takes place

Later iTunes logins can add a credit card, purchase a cell contract (or paygo), purchase MobileMe, Warranty...

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #66 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post

Your still in the denial stage. Some people take more time to see the light.

No, some people refuse to see the light
post #67 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

No, some people refuse to see the light

So true
post #68 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Only 1.5 million Windows tablets sold last year. The year before, it was 2.5 million. That was the high.

I don't know of any other tablets that accounted for more than very minor sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That is not correct. The projection was 10 M units in 2010 - including the iPad. The report was that total tablet sales for 2009 was around 1.1 M units - roughly the number of iPads sold every month.

I'm aware of the 10M projection for this year. Since I can't find the article I thought I read about 2009 tablet sales I have nothing to back up my previous statement, so I gladly yield to Apple already selling more than 2x as many tablets as everyone else last year.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #69 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post

Your still in the denial stage. Some people take more time to see the light.

I deny that I'm in denial.
post #70 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

What doesn't come with Winnie The Pooh? I upgraded my 3GS last night to iOS 4, downloaded the iBooks app and Winnie the Pooh was there on the bookshelf in iBooks.

Not on mine.
post #71 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) You need a computer to activate it for the first time. It doesn't require a "computer" to be used. You can activate on a Mac in an Apple Store or at a friend or family member's house.

This is as good an argument for Apple branded kiosks as I've seen yet. Apple should set up these units in high-foot traffic areas (Best Buys, public libraries, bookstores, Starbucks, gas stations, airports, etc.) that would allow a person to connect their iPod, iPad and iPhone and pay about $5/5 minutes of use which would connect them to the iTunes store WITHOUT A COMPUTER and the kiosk would have a high-speed connection. They could update their software (not over wi-fi) register their device, or connect directly to customer service for simple software issues or questions.

These kiosks would multiply much faster than the average Apple Store and essentially remain "open" 24 hrs. a day.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #72 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I agree with you here. The need for wires is unlikely to go away for this sort of device, but at the same time, I've not plugged mine into a computer for over two weeks now.

I'll plug it in when I need to transfer a lot of data but that's not something I need to do on a day to day basis. In practice, when I need to transfer data it's swapping the movies I have stored on the thing, and I can't see how that could be done without a computer, I mean, transferring multiple gigabytes over a wireless connection is going to take ages.


I do it every 30 minutes everyday with my Mac when I wirelessly back up with Time Machine.
post #73 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Seems like the pace of sales should have increased after the international launch.

The pace of sales is constrained by supply right now, not demand. This should be obvious given the fact that you can't find them in stock anywhere and shipping times are (still) greater than one week.

Apple simply can't make iPads fast enough to keep up with demand, let alone match whatever acceleration curve that YOU might find more reasonable.

Thompson
post #74 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atanner View Post

I do it every 30 minutes everyday with my Mac when I wirelessly back up with Time Machine.

Fair enough, but I suspect (and I have no evidence to back this up), you are in the minority. Consumers seem to be notoriously bad at backing up devices.
post #75 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The slight difference that you don't acknowledge is that computers don't require being connected to whole another computer to be backed up. It can write to a second hard drive or even optical discs if your apps and data are small enough. A $100 external hard drive is a far cry from a $1000 computer.


It is not easy to back up your purchases even if they are stored in iTunes. At least it is not something you can do through the iTunes interface AFAIK. You have to do it manually. I am not sure, but I don't think there is any way to back up data that an App contains such as user modified content, high scores, etc.
post #76 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

It is not easy to back up your purchases even if they are stored in iTunes. At least it is not something you can do through the iTunes interface AFAIK. You have to do it manually. I am not sure, but I don't think there is any way to back up data that an App contains such as user modified content, high scores, etc.

I agree, though you could probably just back up your entire user account and your itunes files should be in the backup.

I just use Super Duper, it makes me a complete clone of my primary drive and it catches everything. I have it set to sync late in the evening every day. If the drive dies, I could reboot to the new drive as if nothing happened.
post #77 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Winnie was offered the first time I entered the book store.

I didn't see it.

So I just went back.

Not at the top of Featured.
Not at the top of Charts.
Not at the top of Browse, which is alphabetized.
Not there in Purchases, where I found my old books.

So you have to look for it. If you don't know about it (and no matter what the publicity, there will always be people who don't know these things; like people buying new Apple products the day before the new ones come out, and then complaining about it), then you won't know to look for it either.
post #78 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The slight difference that you don't acknowledge is that computers don't require being connected to whole another computer to be backed up. It can write to a second hard drive or even optical discs if your apps and data are small enough. A $100 external hard drive is a far cry from a $1000 computer.

It could be your several year old $500 computer too.
post #79 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The slight difference that you don't acknowledge is that computers don't require being connected to whole another computer to be backed up. It can write to a second hard drive or even optical discs if your apps and data are small enough. A $100 external hard drive is a far cry from a $1000 computer.

Maybe, but that's a different distinction from the criticism of the iPad I've been hearing since day one. The critique is that the iPad needs to be frequently connected to another device to be useable, therefore it is a "dependent" device by definition. The type or cost of the other device has never entered into the complaint before, only its supposed dependence. I think that criticism is way overblown.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #80 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I deny that I'm in denial.

I don't recognize your denial.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces 3 million iPads sold in first 80 days