or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Hackers release 'jailbreak' of iOS 4 for Apple's iPhone 3GS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hackers release 'jailbreak' of iOS 4 for Apple's iPhone 3GS

post #1 of 170
Thread Starter 
Users can now run unauthorized code on their iOS 4-equipped iPhone 3GS, as well as iPhone 3G and iPod touch, thanks to the latest software "jailbreak" released by hackers.

Users of the iPhone 3GS who previously jailbroke their handset can upgrade to Apple's latest mobile operating system with PwnageTool 4.0.1, released by the iPhone Dev-Team. It is also available for the iPhone 3G and the second-generation iPod touch. The previous hack, PwnageTool 4.0, was not compatible with the iPhone 3GS.

The hack does not work for the iPhone 2G or first-generation iPod touch, both of which cannot run Apple's iOS 4. In addition, the third-generation iPod touch cannot yet be jailbroken.

Whether the hack will work with the iPhone 4, expected to be delivered today to many who preordered, remains to be seen. But it is likely that the new handset will include enhanced security measures designed to thwart hackers. Late last year, Apple became more aggressive against jailbreak attempts when it silently updated the BootROM in the iPhone 3GS, marking the first time ever that the company had enhanced the security of its hardware in the middle of a product line without a new model released.

A developer build of iOS 4 was jailbroken less than a day after it was released in early April. A member of the Dev-Team also took issue with Apple's claim that hardware restrictions prevented multitasking from being enabled on older iPhone hardware. In addition to existing unauthorized jailbreak solutions for multitasking, the hacking community has also released software to enable MMS functionality on the first-generation iPhone.

iOS 4 has a number of missing features for iPhone 3G users, namely the ability to multitask, as well as have wallpaper backgrounds on Home screens. Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs reportedly said in an e-mail that the icon animation with backgrounds "didn't perform well enough" on the iPhone 3G.

But both custom wallpapers and multitasking have been available on the iPhone 3G for some time, thanks to jailbroken software that allows the handset to run in ways Apple does not allow.

The warranty-voiding jailbreak process allows users to run software not approved by Apple, which has no plans to allow users to install third-party applications downloaded from outside its sanctioned App Store. Hackers have created their own custom applications -- many free, and some for purchase from an alternative storefront known as Cydia.

Jailbreaking can also be used to pirate App Store software, one major reason why Apple has fought the practice.

In April, Jobs cited an unsanctioned pornography store available for the Google Android platform as a reason to not support unsigned applications. "That's a place we don't want to go," Jobs said, "so we're not going to."
post #2 of 170
Took 'em long enough...
post #3 of 170
Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.
post #4 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

Agreed
post #5 of 170
Hackers suck.

8:45 CST - Two iPhone 4s have arrived. W00t!

Update:
CRAP - "Your activation session has expired." WTF!!!

Update2:
Apparently, you'll need to call AT&T if you experience the same issue/error. (800-331-0500 - Don't call from ur iPhone).
The IMEI & ICCID #s didn't port over. Took 5 minutes to update and I'm syncing.
The rep also noticed that my unlimited minutes plan had dropped from $99 to $69 and made that change as well.
post #6 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Hackers suck. 8:45 CST - Two iPhone 4s have arrived. W00t!

It's time for some FaceTime!
post #7 of 170
These guys are real studs.

Take a bow.

Your dedication and devotion is the cornerstone of what makes this country great. \
post #8 of 170
I have the 3gs running iOS 4.0 GM and have never jailbroken this device. It's listed on ebay now, am I able to jailbreak mine?
post #9 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Hackers suck. 8:45 CST - Two iPhone 4s have arrived. W00t!

CRAP - "Your activation session has expired." WTF!!!

Ha, bummer. The sweet misery of early arrival. Here is your awesome toy earlier than expected, but you can't play with it until everyone else gets theirs!
post #10 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

I have jailbroken off and on over the years, and I will agree with you, the pirating of apps is the most popular and worst part of it. I for one never pirated an app or even cared to know how to. I would jailbreak for things like MyWi so I could use my phone as a mobile hotspot and also blacklisting so I could keep those extremely annoying and pointless phone calls from coming through. I will admit, though, it is getting harder and harder to find reasons to do it.
post #11 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

These guys are real studs.

Take a bow.

Your dedication and devotion is the cornerstone of what makes this country great. \

I'm actually gonna give the hackers a tiny break, the ones who do it for fun but then report the loopholes are doing everyone a great service. Much better that they find the holes than someone with harmful intentions.

I just have serious issues with the whole buck the authorities attitude. When they try to make moral justification for breaking the licensing agreements or terms of use then they are no longer part of the solution but part of the problem.
post #12 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

Around a month ago I felt the exact way as you do now, since then I have bought an iPad and jailbroken my iPhone so that I can use Mywi, I pay for all of my iPhone apps as well as the 3 Jailbroken apps that I have, my data usage is only around 300mb a month and I saw no reason as to why I should pay an extra £100 for an iPad (not including a monthly £10 a month contract) just to use mobile internet on it.

The idea that all jailbreakers are just thieves is wrong, as I have proven to myself.

The app store has probably had around £400 of my money over the last 2 and a bit years, just because my iPhone is now jailbroken it is wrong to assume that I will now steal everything.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #13 of 170
I am sure someone will post this so I will lead off with - Jail Breaking your iPhone does not meant that you have to or can only use pirated software. It means that you can. But I think the reason that seems to be the most popular (or at least admitted to) is that you can use features which have been blocked for what may seem to be arbitrary reasons - such as tethering or MMS etc.

As an analogy - what if your car came with computer programming that limited your acceleration to a 0-60 of 12 seconds and top speed to 65 mph and the ability to roll the windows down above 50 mph. Clearly you car can exceed all of those parameters - but someone decided that it is unsafe to allow you to do so. What if someone provided a software patch that removed those restrictions - meaning that you could now readily exceed the speed limit and such - which doesn't mean that you have to do so. To continue the analogy - what if the patch rendered your car unable to start? would you expect the manufacturer to repair or replace it under warranty?
post #14 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

I just have serious issues with the whole buck the authorities attitude. When they try to make moral justification for breaking the licensing agreements or terms of use then they are no longer part of the solution but part of the problem.

I agree completely. It also bothers me when they jailbreak their phone running iPhone OS 3 and when it won't upgrade ti iOS 4, they go running to the press complaining about how Apple's upgrade process is broken.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #15 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

You shouldn't lump everyone together. Did you know that most App Store piracy occurs in Russia and China?

I will jailbreak for tethering. I'm not going to pay $25/month so AT&T can do nothing. It wreaks of the "old days" when Verizon would cripple Bluetooth.

While Apple has done a lot towards negating the need, there will always be a few geeks who will want more functionality like SSH.

People have to get over the fact that jailbreaking doesn't equal piracy.
post #16 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Around a month ago I felt the exact way as you do now, since then I have bought an iPad and jailbroken my iPhone so that I can use Mywi, I pay for all of my iPhone apps as well as the 3 Jailbroken apps that I have, my data usage is only around 300mb a month and I saw no reason as to why I should pay an extra £100 for an iPad (not including a monthly £10 a month contract) just to use mobile internet on it.

The idea that all jailbreakers are just thieves is wrong, as I have proven to myself..

Actually, you've supported the contention that people jailbreak their phone to steal. In your case, you're stealing a service that you didn't pay for. You don't like the terms offered for your service? No problem - don't sign up for it. But arguing that they SHOULD charge you less because of whatever excuse you want to use is petty rationalization. You are not paying for tethering, but you're doing it. That's theft of service.

It's really sad how many people have no sense of right or wrong any more.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #17 of 170
I am sure someone will post this so I will lead off with - Jail Breaking your iPhone does not meant that you have to or can only use pirated software. It means that you can. But I think the reason that seems to be the most popular (or at least admitted to) is that you can use features which have been blocked for what may seem to be arbitrary reasons - such as tethering or MMS etc.

As an analogy - what if your car came with computer programming that limited your acceleration to a 0-60 of 12 seconds and top speed to 65 mph and the ability to roll the windows down above 50 mph. Clearly you car can exceed all of those parameters - but someone decided that it is unsafe to allow you to do so. What if someone provided a software patch that removed those restrictions - meaning that you could now readily exceed the speed limit and such - which doesn't mean that you have to do so. To continue the analogy - what if the patch rendered your car unable to start? would you expect the manufacturer to repair or replace it under warranty?
post #18 of 170
I know the article makes mention of it but it's brushed over so quickly that I think it needs to be stated more prominently as I am sure more here don't jailbreak and have already update to the new bootroom.
iPhone 3GS

Summary:
Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.
If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.

If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0.1.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #19 of 170
I've been jailbroken for the better part of a year on my 3GS, and I didn't do it to steal apps (all my apps are legit), I jailbroke it to fix the serious omissions in the OS. Things like information on the lock screen, time based sound muting, SMS replies without leaving the running app, proper use of the statusbar, adblock, rotation lock, my own test message sound (instead of the same 7 everybody has), multitasking, the list is endless.

iOS4 does not address the major reasons why I jailbroke in the first place. So Im anxiously awaiting the jailbreak for iPhone4.

Not all jailbreakers are pirates
post #20 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, you've supported the contention that people jailbreak their phone to steal. In your case, you're stealing a service that you didn't pay for. You don't like the terms offered for your service? No problem - don't sign up for it. But arguing that they SHOULD charge you less because of whatever excuse you want to use is petty rationalization. You are not paying for tethering, but you're doing it. That's theft of service.

It's really sad how many people have no sense of right or wrong any more.

As it happens I do pay for tethering on top of my monthly £45 contract with O2, despite this I am unable to use it to tether my ipad hence using Mywi, please do not just assume people are stealing.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #21 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation
Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

You shouldn't lump everyone together....

I will jailbreak for tethering. I'm not going to pay $25/month so AT&T can do nothing......

ORLY?
post #22 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

As it happens I do pay for tethering on top of my monthly £45 contract with O2, despite this I am unable to use it to tether my ipad hence using Mywi, please do not just assume people are stealing.

It was easier to all you a thief.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #23 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

ORLY?

Don't know what you mean. I pay for my data and I'm no data hog. I choose to use the plan I purchased the way I want to. I don't pay people for doing nothing especially in this case where support is an OS issue and doesn't involve work from AT&T in any way. In fact the only work they had to do was to set up the system to charge the customer.
post #24 of 170
Pwnage tool It works like a charm on my 3G (not 3gs) - and ultrasn0w works too!

It's snappy and love the folders!
TrendGiveAfuck - A Style Guide to your Beautiful Life
Reply
TrendGiveAfuck - A Style Guide to your Beautiful Life
Reply
post #25 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You are not paying for tethering, but you're doing it. That's theft of service.

It's really sad how many people have no sense of right or wrong any more.

This is not a true statement. What I pay for is a "DATA" plan. How I choose to use that DATA plan be it tethering or web usage it's still data. The software was ALWAYS on the phone to utilize the data plan for tethering. Only AT&T had decided to cripple this service. There were work arounds with the IPCC file and AT&T changed that again getting rid of the MMS/Tethering ability.

Along come MyWI and others allowing not only to tether but allow for many to utilize what you are already paying for.

There needs to be no justification. Thats what I bought my phone for when advertised in a Keynote and to have AT&T not deliver for years was unacceptable.
post #26 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, you've supported the contention that people jailbreak their phone to steal. In your case, you're stealing a service that you didn't pay for. You don't like the terms offered for your service? No problem - don't sign up for it. But arguing that they SHOULD charge you less because of whatever excuse you want to use is petty rationalization. You are not paying for tethering, but you're doing it. That's theft of service.

It's really sad how many people have no sense of right or wrong any more.

<ahem>bullshit</ahem>


When I finally do get around to jailbreaking, it will be to use features like wifi sharing (tethering is included in my plan) and being able to switch providers. Nothing wrong with either. I might also use it for direct file access or to buy/download legit apps that are not available on the AppStore. I will never use it to steal software.

Maybe it is time for you to stop with the unsubstantiated, blanket accusations of criminal activity. (I know, I know, leopards and spots)

It's really sad how many people rely on a corporation as their moral compass and to tell them what is right or wrong.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #27 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

As it happens I do pay for tethering on top of my monthly £45 contract with O2, despite this I am unable to use it to tether my ipad hence using Mywi, please do not just assume people are stealing.

I'm only assuming that you're stealing because you're flat out admitting it. The fact that you pay to tether your laptop doesn't give you the right to use tethering on your iPad.

You are not paying to tether your iPad. You admit that the service is available, but you don't like the cost ("I saw no reason as to why I should pay an extra £100 for an iPad (not including a monthly £10 a month contract) just to use mobile internet on it.")

So you're using a service you didn't pay for. Don't play this crapola 'poor me, I'm so misunderstood' game. You know what you're doing and are simply trying to rationalize why it's OK.

Like it or not, you're a thief.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #28 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

<ahem>bullshit</ahem>


When I finally do get around to jailbreaking, it will be to use features like wifi sharing (tethering is included in my plan) and being able to switch providers. Nothing wrong with either. I might also use it for direct file access or to buy/download legit apps that are not available on the AppStore. I will never use it to steal software.

Maybe it is time for you to stop with the unsubstantiated, blanket accusations of criminal activity. (I know, I know, leopards and spots)

It's really sad how many people rely on a corporation as their moral compass and to tell them what is right or wrong.

Sorry, the person I was responding to specifically admitted that he was taking a service he didn't pay for.

Your position isn't all that consistent, either. If you have an iPhone plan which allows tethering, then you wouldn't have to jailbreak your phone. If you have to jailbreak your phone to get tethering, then the plan probably doesn't cover it.

I'm guessing that you have a non-iPhone plan which allows tethering, but which doesn't apply to iPhones and you think it's OK to break the rules to use that plan on your iPhone. Sorry, you agreed to terms of service. If you don't agree to them, you don't have the right to unilaterally violate them. Feel free to choose another provider (which may require a different phone) if you wish. But this sense of entitlement ("I'm only taking what they SHOULD HAVE given me in the first place") is just plain wrong.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #29 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

-changing providers
-enabling wifi tethering (now that they can pay for tethering)
-file system access
-installation of apps banned by the appstore
-customization of the UI
-faster access to common Settings

There are many other reasons one might jailbreak. I am sure there are many, maybe even the vast majority, that steal software, and they are dicks. But don't lump everyone into that category. AT&T allowing tethering only removes one reason for jailbreaking...and it actually strengths another (wifi sharing).

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #30 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm only assuming that you're stealing because you're flat out admitting it. The fact that you pay to tether your laptop doesn't give you the right to use tethering on your iPad.

You are not paying to tether your iPad. You admit that the service is available, but you don't like the cost ("I saw no reason as to why I should pay an extra £100 for an iPad (not including a monthly £10 a month contract) just to use mobile internet on it.")

So you're using a service you didn't pay for. Don't play this crapola 'poor me, I'm so misunderstood' game. You know what you're doing and are simply trying to rationalize why it's OK.

Like it or not, you're a thief.

No, you ARE wrong not me. I pay for my contract, I also pay for the tethering option, if I had a netbook, notebook, pc or any number of other devices I could and in cases such as my MacBook pro, do use the internet tethered through my phone.

Lets just be clear, just for you and people like you I shall repeat myself, not only do I pay for my contract I also pay an additional fee to tether my iPhone to a computer/computers, I class the iPad as a computer, due to a technical limitation artifically placed onto the iPad by Apple, I cannot use the tethered internet which I pay for without using Mywi.

If you feel that somehow I am morally doing something wrong I think you need to recheck your moral compass, once again do not just assume that people are thieves!
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #31 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

Not everyone who jailbreaks is a thief. My phone is over two years old and I've JB it to unlock it and run it on the carrier I desire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Agreed

Concurrence with non-thinking reflects non-thinking. Welcome to the ranks of the sheeple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I have jailbroken off and on over the years, and I will agree with you, the pirating of apps is the most popular and worst part of it. I for one never pirated an app or even cared to know how to. I would jailbreak for things like MyWi so I could use my phone as a mobile hotspot and also blacklisting so I could keep those extremely annoying and pointless phone calls from coming through. I will admit, though, it is getting harder and harder to find reasons to do it.

If Apple addresses some shortcomings, then there won't be a need for it. You note mobile hotspot which other platforms and phones now have and the iPhone doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

I've been jailbroken for the better part of a year on my 3GS, and I didn't do it to steal apps (all my apps are legit), I jailbroke it to fix the serious omissions in the OS. Things like information on the lock screen, time based sound muting, SMS replies without leaving the running app, proper use of the statusbar, adblock, rotation lock, my own test message sound (instead of the same 7 everybody has), multitasking, the list is endless.

iOS4 does not address the major reasons why I jailbroke in the first place. So Im anxiously awaiting the jailbreak for iPhone4.

Not all jailbreakers are pirates

Exactly and several of the features you note there are available on OTHER platforms. Time based sound profiles are a major feature of RIM. SMS replies without leaving the running app is still something that has not been addressed even in iOS4.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #32 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sorry, the person I was responding to specifically admitted that he was taking a service he didn't pay for.

Your position isn't all that consistent, either. If you have an iPhone plan which allows tethering, then you wouldn't have to jailbreak your phone. If you have to jailbreak your phone to get tethering, then the plan probably doesn't cover it.

I'm guessing that you have a non-iPhone plan which allows tethering, but which doesn't apply to iPhones and you think it's OK to break the rules to use that plan on your iPhone. Sorry, you agreed to terms of service. If you don't agree to them, you don't have the right to unilaterally violate them. Feel free to choose another provider (which may require a different phone) if you wish. But this sense of entitlement ("I'm only taking what they SHOULD HAVE given me in the first place") is just plain wrong.

I am in Canada. Tethering is included in my plan. I can tethering using any method I choose to any device I choose. If and when I decide I want to tethering via wifi, then because it is disabled in the OS, I would jailbreak to enable it.

very consistent.

And again, my 'sense of entitlement' is only because I am entitled to it. I pay for it. I am allowed to use it by my carrier. You may think it is wrong, but that isn't really surprising.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #33 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sorry, the person I was responding to specifically admitted that he was taking a service he didn't pay for.

Your position isn't all that consistent, either. If you have an iPhone plan which allows tethering, then you wouldn't have to jailbreak your phone. If you have to jailbreak your phone to get tethering, then the plan probably doesn't cover it.

I'm guessing that you have a non-iPhone plan which allows tethering, but which doesn't apply to iPhones and you think it's OK to break the rules to use that plan on your iPhone. Sorry, you agreed to terms of service. If you don't agree to them, you don't have the right to unilaterally violate them. Feel free to choose another provider (which may require a different phone) if you wish. But this sense of entitlement ("I'm only taking what they SHOULD HAVE given me in the first place") is just plain wrong.

If I buy a Nexus One that works on AT&T's 3G network and it gets update to Android 2.2, I have the ability to use my 2GB through a wireless hotspot function built into the phone's OS, and AT&T does not stop me from doing it. Why is it any different for a user of an iPhone? Because AT&T says it is, that's why. What they are doing is wrong. I pay them for 2GB of data, no matter how it's sliced or how it's used, they do not have the right to care. As long as I don't go over that 2GB threshold, there is no reason why I should not be able to use a mobile hotspot feature.

EDIT: In conclusion, just because a corporation says it is so, does not make it so. They are just as liable to mistakes and unfair practices as any jailbreaker. I'm okay with rules and terms, but when those rules and terms are unfair or unbalanced to a very specific group of people, then things need to be changed.
post #34 of 170
Right up to the moment AT&T took away my ability to turn on and off my unlimited iPad data on a month by month basis, I never would have considered jailbreaking. I've always had good coverage with AT&T, rarely dropped calls, and overall I've had great service from them. But the whole "bait and switch" thing with the iPad has really pissed me off. Yup, jailbreaking for mifi purposes is not allowed in the contract. But after the screw-over that is the new iPad data plan (keeping the $30/mo turned on to keep unlimited data and not being able to get that deal on new iPads), I really don't care any more. If AT&T expects their customers to act in an ethical manner, they need to behave ethically themselves; wrt the iPad, they have not done so.
post #35 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm only assuming that you're stealing because you're flat out admitting it. The fact that you pay to tether your laptop doesn't give you the right to use tethering on your iPad.

You are not paying to tether your iPad. You admit that the service is available, but you don't like the cost ("I saw no reason as to why I should pay an extra £100 for an iPad (not including a monthly £10 a month contract) just to use mobile internet on it.")

So you're using a service you didn't pay for. Don't play this crapola 'poor me, I'm so misunderstood' game. You know what you're doing and are simply trying to rationalize why it's OK.

Like it or not, you're a thief.

What the fuck, man?!!?
he pays for tethering, what hell is so hard for you to understand that? He didn't want to pay an extra $100 for the 3G iPad. His plan allows him to use his phone to provide an IP to other devices, not just his laptop and not excluding his iPad. So he jailbreaks so he can use his paid for tethering service to provide an IP to his iPad.

he isn't a thief. You calling him, especially when it clearly isn't true should rightfully get you an infraction. If not, why not start making unsubstantiated, ignorant, libelous accusations of criminal activity against you?

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #36 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sorry, the person I was responding to specifically admitted that he was taking a service he didn't pay for.

Your position isn't all that consistent, either. If you have an iPhone plan which allows tethering, then you wouldn't have to jailbreak your phone. If you have to jailbreak your phone to get tethering, then the plan probably doesn't cover it.

I'm guessing that you have a non-iPhone plan which allows tethering, but which doesn't apply to iPhones and you think it's OK to break the rules to use that plan on your iPhone. Sorry, you agreed to terms of service. If you don't agree to them, you don't have the right to unilaterally violate them. Feel free to choose another provider (which may require a different phone) if you wish. But this sense of entitlement ("I'm only taking what they SHOULD HAVE given me in the first place") is just plain wrong.

How is it exactly that possibly breaking the TOS mean you're a thief? He is paying for his data. What difference does it make how he uses it? He is using the data he paid for while the carrier has to do no work to support it.

Is it just that whatever a carrier does is right or is this a morality issue? If it's the latter you are wrong.
post #37 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

Have you ever jailbroken? Jailbreaking is useful because it allows you to customize your lock screen, which I used to use to display all of my sms, emails, calendar events, and notifications, that way if i got 8 or 9 notifications I could view all of them. That same screen became the first screen on my iphone, kinda a workaround to fix apple's broken notifications system. It also allowed me to setup my phone to have access to all of my settings by swiping the top bar, useful for turning up and down brightness, toggling wifi and 3g on and off, all important when trying to get the most battery life out of an aging 3g. Its called Sbsettings and its something I can barely function without on my iphone, making me hope the next iphone is jailbroken quickly. Add in quicksms, which allows you to reply to sms messages within the notification pop up or on the lock screen, support for apps apple hasn't approved (wifi sync comes to mind) and the customization so many people love (changing icons, fonts, battery icon, etc) which I find to be a waste of resources, and you get a picture of why we jailbreak.
post #38 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

If I buy a Nexus One that works on AT&T's 3G network and it gets update to Android 2.2, I have the ability to use my 2GB through a wireless hotspot function built into the phone's OS, and AT&T does not stop me from doing it. Why is it any different for a user of an iPhone? Because AT&T says it is, that's why.

That's right. AT&T says it's wrong. You do NOT have the right to do what you're doing under your contract.

I agree that it's unreasonable. If tethering mattered to me, I'd choose a different phone and/or provider. But that doesn't change the fact that you admit that WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS NOT ALLOWED BY YOUR CONTRACT.

You are taking a service that is not part of your contract. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

What the fuck, man?!!?
he pays for tethering, what hell is so hard for you to understand that? He didn't want to pay an extra $100 for the 3G iPad. His plan allows him to use his phone to provide an IP to other devices, not just his laptop and not excluding his iPad. So he jailbreaks so he can use his paid for tethering service to provide an IP to his iPad.

he isn't a thief. You calling him, especially when it clearly isn't true should rightfully get you an infraction. If not, why not start making unsubstantiated, ignorant, libelous accusations of criminal activity against you?

His plan does not allow him to do what he's doing. I don't care whether it's $0.50 per month or $50,000 per month. He's doing something that he knows is not covered by his contract.

This entire thread is a great example of the entitlement I"m taking about. A number of people admit that what they're doing is not covered by their plan. Their provider does not allow it and wants to charge them considerably more money to do it. They don't think it's fair, so they do it, anyway.

As I said, no sense of right or wrong any more.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #39 of 170
"The previous hack, PwnageTool 4.0, was not compatible with the iPhone 3GS."

You're a moron. I'm tired of "journalists" posting blatant BS like the above and STILL unable to convey what the hell PwnageTool did/does.

Version 4.0 as well as the new version 4.01 both support the iPhone 3GS with the OLD bootloader. Newer iPhone 3GS are still not supported and neither is the iPhone 4.

The difference between version 4.0 and 4.01 is that they fixed a bug that prevented iBooks from working.

That's it. Now how hard was to just mention that ?!?!

Adi
post #40 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's right. AT&T says it's wrong. You do NOT have the right to do what you're doing under your contract.

I agree that it's unreasonable. If tethering mattered to me, I'd choose a different phone and/or provider. But that doesn't change the fact that you admit that WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS NOT ALLOWED BY YOUR CONTRACT.

You are taking a service that is not part of your contract. Period.



His plan does not allow him to do what he's doing. I don't care whether it's $0.50 per month or $50,000 per month. He's doing something that he knows is not covered by his contract.

This entire thread is a great example of the entitlement I"m taking about. A number of people admit that what they're doing is not covered by their plan. Their provider does not allow it and wants to charge them considerably more money to do it. They don't think it's fair, so they do it, anyway.

As I said, no sense of right or wrong any more.

Ok, let me mellow out a little and respond to this on your level, my Terms of Service with O2 do not say that I cannot tether an iPad to my phone, Apple provides no software option for me to tether my iPhone to my iPad and I therefore have no option but to use an app like Mywi to tether my iPhone to my iPad.

Now kindly stop referring to people as thieves.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Hackers release 'jailbreak' of iOS 4 for Apple's iPhone 3GS