or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Hackers release 'jailbreak' of iOS 4 for Apple's iPhone 3GS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hackers release 'jailbreak' of iOS 4 for Apple's iPhone 3GS - Page 4

post #121 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

I can't decide if you're trolling or not, but I'll bite.

My ipod touch is jail broken because I want to be able to compile and run any app I want, without it being vetted by apple first. I want to be able to retain apps that apple has pulled from the app store. I want to be able to run a full dev tool-chain on my ipod if I want to, have full directory access, and full control over *my device*. I want to be able to customize my UI more than apple's anemic built-in abilities. I don't want to get an android device because there are a lot of things I really like about iOS, but I do want to customize it a bit.


2 other points:

a) I don't need the warranty as much as I want these features, and you can sure as hell bet there are a lot of others like me!

but also, b) in respect to , some people also happen to like to hack their devices, make them work in ways they werent marketed to.

My xbox at home serves as a streaming media center more than as a game console, and it used to function as server before being retired in favor of a mac mini (both btw running debian linux). Back when I lived a college house my beer fridge had temp sensors purloined from a broken imac. The list goes on

Hacking is fun, mate!

True, it can be fun, though the few times I've altered a device to open features I was using packaged tools or instructions so I don't consider myself a hacker. I just think as much as it can bring to a device there is much more bad that comes along with it.

You can hack other devices like an AppleTV or PS3 but in the end most of the reasons you hack them could be done with more elegance on a cheap linux box running something like XBMC or Boxee. The big issue with hacking is the doors it opens and the general abuse of it with a mindset that, "what I'm doing is not really that bad, really."

People share mp3s all the time without a second thought because the culture has already embraced it as no big deal. Call me a prude but theft is theft and when people hack and then try to justify it with 1 or 2 minor legitimacies while also using it to do things like tether illegally or share apps with friends they are already guilty of stealing.

I have been guilty of it, and have seen others get ruined by it when they casually walk into a fed trap. Fortunately I've gotten my wake-up call by the misfortune of others, learned my lesson by observation instead of experience. Companies have a right to protect their products, afterall Apple wouldn't make an iPhone if there was no business in it.
post #122 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

I don't like Android OS nor the phones it is for. You were the first person to single out app theft as the "prime reason" people jailbreak, I don't get why you're trying to make it sound like I singled it out in my post which was a response to your claims.

Single it out from tethering, which is also illegal. There are other things jailbreaking ahs been used for as well.

I didn't single it out, I made a general statement which included it. There is a difference.
post #123 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

He is a thief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas
What the fuck, man?!!?
he pays for tethering, what hell is so hard for you to understand that? He didn't want to pay an extra $100 for the 3G iPad. His plan allows him to use his phone to provide an IP to other devices, not just his laptop and not excluding his iPad. So he jailbreaks so he can use his paid for tethering service to provide an IP to his iPad.

he isn't a thief. You calling him, especially when it clearly isn't true should rightfully get you an infraction. If not, why not start making unsubstantiated, ignorant, libelous accusations of criminal activity against you?

Surely this isn't someone else calling me a thief? For goodness sake, I pay for my iPhone contract and on top of that contract I pay a monthly fee to tether said device, as i pay for what I use and incidentally what I use is not even a lot (on average 250-300mb a month) how on earth do people get off calling me a thief?
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #124 of 170
Most, but not all of us are in the U.S. here, but even some of us in the U.S. use our phones internationally.

Without unlocking your iPhone, you can use it throughout Europe by using a SIM from iPhoneTrip.com. Included in the SIM rental is unlimited data regardless of how you use the data connection. Tethering doesn't break your agreement. There is a weekly cap (It's huge, like 7GB a week or something ridiculously large).

However, the software on your U.S. iPhone, prior to iOS 4, didn't allow you to tether with the rented SIM unless you jailbroke.

It's not illegal. It's not theft of service. It's not wrong. Nobody loses. Etc...

Additionally as others have pointed out, there are MANY reasons left for still wanting to jailbreak in iOS 4. For me SBSettings tops the list. Customizations is a close second. General tweaks and hacks, etc...

As far as piracy, it should be noted that Cydia does have commercial apps in it now, and some of them are quite good.

I find it funny that people here are using Macs to pass judgment on jailbreakers as being thieves and pirates. Turn that back on yourselves and ask yourself why you're using Macs...is it just to be thieves and pirates? Doesn't iOS 4 provide you with everything you want legally as is?
post #125 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Single it out from tethering, which is also illegal. There are other things jailbreaking ahs been used for as well.

I didn't single it out, I made a general statement which included it. There is a difference.

Mind backing up your statement that tethering is illegal? With the appropriate clauses from the contract or service agreement, along with proof that those are legally binding?

Even if it is illegal, it shouldn't be. Laws are only laws because they are supported by the population (in theory) and enforced by the government. I'd like to know why you feel AT&T should have the right to tell you what you can do with your limited data.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #126 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Actually you said it was the only reason. You're only changing your tune because you've been proven wrong and you're trying to save face. Pirated apps could be a major motivating factor for many, perhaps even a majority of jailbreakers, but lumping everyone together is doing many many people a major disservice.

Ignorance like yours is what allows corporations to slowly erode away our consumer rights. Apparently everything they do is okay as long as they are doing it to fight those dirty pirates, which of course includes all jailbreakers. Canada has a bill in legislature that would make it illegal to break digital locks, and some people think that's fine because they have the same mindset as you. If this bill passes, I'll think of you every time I break the law by copying one of my purchased DVD's to my computer.

My original statement:
Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.


Yup, only isn't in there.

Again with ignorance, so everyone who disagrees with your view must be ignorant. Oh wait, know what, I'm not going to put words in your mouth like others like to do.

Companies are entities run by people. People like to pretend they are mindless machines that can only be defeated with regulation but that is not true. Companies are very fluid and respond much better to consumer purchase power than they do to pointless regulation.

Most companies, including Apple, like to know they are making the world a better place. Whatever their shortfalls they aren't all just a bunch of money grubbing evildoers trying to crush all who get in their way. This is proven over and over in boycotts, where even a small number of deserters from a name brand gets big recognition from those at the top. They live in fear of customer revolt because without us they don't make money!

By the way, when stuff is pirated it isn't the CEOs who lose money, they just take it out elsewhere (like the salary of the developers). Steve Jobs sees the same pay at the end of the day whether you nab apps illegally or not, so by going after people they are protecting the developers more than anyone else.

It's up to the citizens of Canada to decide what laws are passed in their land, and if they choose to oppress themselves that is their choice. I don't live there so I can't pretend to know anything about the bill you speak of.

By the way, from what I understand it is the distribution of copied DVDs that can bring about the unlawful part of the warning message they cary. At least in the US I don't think they can prohibit you from making a backup of your DVDs to "protect from damage". If you find a way to walk the line of legality without crossing it then more power to ya. Though sounds like if that Bill passes it will then definitely be illegal to make digital copies of your DVDs.
post #127 of 170
Er... Steve Jobs actually does lose money at the end of the day when Apple loses money, you know he only receives a single dollar salary each year. Everything he ears is based on stocks.
post #128 of 170
For the record you are all thieves. I want the time stolen out of my life to read this thread back now.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #129 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

Er... Steve Jobs actually does lose money at the end of the day when Apple loses money, you know he only receives a single dollar salary each year. Everything he ears is based on stocks.

Oh yeah, k, he was a bad example.
post #130 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

For the record you are all thieves. I want the time stolen out of my life to read this thread back now.

Sorry man, I suppose it was pretty much all my fault too.
post #131 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

My original statement:
Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.


Yup, only isn't in there.

"No masking" excludes all other possible reasons. It means the same thing. I called you ignorant because your initial post clearly indicated that you saw no ethical reasons to jailbreak. The fact that there are such reasons means you are (or at least were) ignorant of them. Or trolling.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #132 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWahlman View Post


The iPhone 3G is my lawful property...

Ownership has nothing to do with authorized usage.
post #133 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Promise I'm not. My first post was perhaps a little boisterous, a bit of a jab at the hackers knowing they would indeed bite. However, digital rights and contractual agreements deserve some lengthy discussion in this world as it seems more and more we care less about either.

I have jailbroken my phone since day 1, and I have never once broken my carrier contract nor downloaded a single pirated app. Now, since you are Mr. moral and legal, I must isist that you either...

1) Apologize to me and any other member of the community you grossly mischaracterized, or

2) Please provide your real name and address so that we can sue you for libelous statements about us.

I am sure you will understand.
post #134 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

"No masking" excludes all other possible reasons. It means the same thing. I called you ignorant because your initial post clearly indicated that you saw no ethical reasons to jailbreak. The fact that there are such reasons, means you are (or at least were) ignorant of them. Or trolling.

Well that's only if you prove that "their" literally means anyone and everyone who jailbreaks. I actually already clarified that the comment at the time was directed towards the hackers who created the jailbreak.
post #135 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Well that's only if you prove that "their" literally means anyone and everyone who jailbreaks. I actually already clarified that the comment at the time was directed towards the hackers who created the jailbreak.

Still libelous since the dev-team have been rather outspoken in their opposition to pirating. Why not admit that you mad an inaccurate defamatory statement without basis or provocation and say you are sorry and move on?
post #136 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Well that's only if you prove that "their" literally means anyone and everyone who jailbreaks. I actually already clarified that the comment at the time was directed towards the hackers who created the jailbreak.

Wouldn't that make you more wrong? I'm pretty sure the challenge and the efame that comes with hacking a popular device has something to do with it, in addition to an above average desire to do more with every electronic device they own. All legitimate uses of jailbreaks would also apply to them. I'm not saying they are top notch individuals, I don't know them, but I guarantee you that piracy and tethering are not the only reasons they create these jailbreaks.

For the record, you can edit posts if everyone is misinterpreting your intentions behind the post.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #137 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Wouldn't that make you more wrong?

If you find yourself in a hole, dig faster!
post #138 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

True, it can be fun, though the few times I've altered a device to open features I was using packaged tools or instructions so I don't consider myself a hacker. I just think as much as it can bring to a device there is much more bad that comes along with it.

Hacking is such a broad thing that your statement is absurd. Hacking really is the act of taking something apart and changing it, or making it function differently than originally intended. Most engineers are hackers, many scientists are too.

Creating a linking oscillatory gene control, like the "repressilator" (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10659856) is hacking.

Using PS3s for scientific computation is hacking (http://www.af.mil/information/bios/bio.asp?bioID=7808).

Exporting a ramdisk over NFS using infiniband, disabling and removing drive controllers, modifying fan layouts for better power usage distribution, and manually changing cpu core allocation is hacking (shamelessly plugging some of my own work here : http://commcgi.cc.stonybrook.edu/am2...petition.shtml)

You hack things to get more function or specific function out of them, and the fact that some people see it as a negative bothers me. Why do I need to use a device specifically as a vendor intended it to be used? Think Different, dammit!


Quote:
You can hack other devices like an AppleTV or PS3 but in the end most of the reasons you hack them could be done with more elegance on a cheap linux box running something like XBMC or Boxee. The big issue with hacking is the doors it opens and the general abuse of it with a mindset that, "what I'm doing is not really that bad, really."

You can hack *anything* (see above), and it isnt bad, not at all. The view that's been gradually fostered in the US population about modifying their devices being bad is a dangerous one, and one I think threatens US ingenuity in the long run. Using a hacked, or unhacked, device for illegal or immoral purposes may be bad, but the hacking is not.

Quote:
People share mp3s all the time without a second thought because the culture has already embraced it as no big deal. Call me a prude but theft is theft and when people hack and then try to justify it with 1 or 2 minor legitimacies while also using it to do things like tether illegally or share apps with friends they are already guilty of stealing.

What does sharing MP3s have to do with hacking? That's copyright violation, and not related to hacking except tangentially.

Quote:
I have been guilty of it, and have seen others get ruined by it when they casually walk into a fed trap. Fortunately I've gotten my wake-up call by the misfortune of others, learned my lesson by observation instead of experience. Companies have a right to protect their products, afterall Apple wouldn't make an iPhone if there was no business in it.

Consumer rights are very important too, something that seems to be getting further and further lost these days...
MBP (15, 2.33, 3GB,10.6/win/lin on 250GB)
MP (3,1 oct 2.8, 10GB. 10.6 on 4x1TB RAID10, Win/Lin on 1x2TB, 2407WFP on 1x5770 + 2xSamsung 910t on 1xGT120)
also a lot of other systems :-p
I met a...
Reply
MBP (15, 2.33, 3GB,10.6/win/lin on 250GB)
MP (3,1 oct 2.8, 10GB. 10.6 on 4x1TB RAID10, Win/Lin on 1x2TB, 2407WFP on 1x5770 + 2xSamsung 910t on 1xGT120)
also a lot of other systems :-p
I met a...
Reply
post #139 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

Consumer rights are very important too, something that seems to be getting further and further lost these days...

This saddens me the most.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #140 of 170
personal attack removed
post #141 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

For the record you are all thieves. I want the time stolen out of my life to read this thread back now.

it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #142 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

At least in the US I don't think they can prohibit you from making a backup of your DVDs to "protect from damage".

Someone hasn't heard of the DMCA.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #143 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

Wrong.

I'd like to add more apps to a single folder for one. Not to mention change the slide unlock to touch unlock. PITA always having to slide to unlock.

Plenty of other UI changes I'd like to make.
post #144 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

I didn't give you any information that would give you reason to believe I am a thief. The gentleman you are defending did.

Not one word from the OP implies he is a thief.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #145 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Ownership has nothing to do with authorized usage.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the crux of the disagreement. Some people believe ownership of property does indeed confir rights of usage. Others believe it is right for others to give them permission to use their own property.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #146 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

See below. Just because you invent an excuse doesn't make you not a thief.

Around a month ago I felt the exact way as you do now, since then I have bought an iPad and jailbroken my iPhone so that I can use Mywi, I pay for all of my iPhone apps as well as the 3 Jailbroken apps that I have, my data usage is only around 300mb a month and I saw no reason as to why I should pay an extra £100 for an iPad (not including a monthly £10 a month contract) just to use mobile internet on it.

The idea that all jailbreakers are just thieves is wrong, as I have proven to myself.

The app store has probably had around £400 of my money over the last 2 and a bit years, just because my iPhone is now jailbroken it is wrong to assume that I will now steal everything.

Are you for real? The only way to read that as stealing is to really demonstrate a difficulty with basic reading skills.

Read what you bolded again. He didn't want to pay extra for a 3G iPad and the separate plan for it. And why should he? His carrier allows him to pay for tethering on his phone and use his phone to share his connection. He can share it via USB, Bluetooth, Wifi or using with his finger in his ass. He pays for this. Explicitly. He jailbreaks ONLY so that his phone is capable of using the service he is paying for.

Seriously, are you for real? Please tell me you are only a troll pretending this confusion and you didn't actually read that as stealing. Please.

As I asked before, are you a thief? You do after all use devices on your home network to access the internet. You pay for this. But, that still makes you a thief, if we use your flawed reading skills and logic.

Yes, you are confused and you are wrong. Neither gives you the right to call him a thief.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #147 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Likely that's because it is not criminal. It is, instead, breach of contract.

That, OTOH, is likely criminal.

No, they are same thing. The only thing that could be considered criminal is what I was doing with my tethering: torrents.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

So do I assume correctly that paying the ETF is OK with you?

Yeah! That is part of taking responsibility for your actions.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #148 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

See below. Just because you invent an excuse doesn't make you not a thief.

Around a month ago I felt the exact way as you do now, since then I have bought an iPad and jailbroken my iPhone so that I can use Mywi, I pay for all of my iPhone apps as well as the 3 Jailbroken apps that I have, my data usage is only around 300mb a month and I saw no reason as to why I should pay an extra £100 for an iPad (not including a monthly £10 a month contract) just to use mobile internet on it.

The idea that all jailbreakers are just thieves is wrong, as I have proven to myself.

The app store has probably had around £400 of my money over the last 2 and a bit years, just because my iPhone is now jailbroken it is wrong to assume that I will now steal everything.

You decided to highlight one part my original post:

No where in that post did I mention that I also happen to pay for tethering a point which I later clarified.

You sir and people like you simply jumped to the conclusion that I had to be a theif and dishonest based on absolutely no evidence, you do not know me, we have never met and yet my guilt in your mind is assured, to you I am guilty and my defence is simply in your mind an excuse.

So no, I did not and still do not see the point of spending £100 extra on the iPad and then also paying an extra £10 a month for internet access on said device when I already pay for my iPhone contract and the tethering bolt on.

I am genuinely annoyed that I have been called out by a few people here and called a thief and liar, and I thank those that decided to rise to my defence. \
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #149 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm only assuming that you're stealing because you're flat out admitting it. The fact that you pay to tether your laptop doesn't give you the right to use tethering on your iPad.

You are not paying to tether your iPad. You admit that the service is available, but you don't like the cost ("I saw no reason as to why I should pay an extra £100 for an iPad (not including a monthly £10 a month contract) just to use mobile internet on it.")

So you're using a service you didn't pay for. Don't play this crapola 'poor me, I'm so misunderstood' game. You know what you're doing and are simply trying to rationalize why it's OK.

Like it or not, you're a thief.


Given that you appear to be such a rabid fan boy and given the position you are taking, it's mildly ironic to think that Jobs and Wozniak's first venture was a hardware device to let you steal phone calls from the AT&T phone network.

Jailbreaking isn't about stealing, it's about doing what you want. If nobody questioned the status quo, if everybody, as you advocate, just fell in behind these conscience-less corporations, the world would be an truly awful place.

Jailbreakers are, for the most part, not pirates. They just won't accept no for an answer.
post #150 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

I have jailbroken my phone since day 1, and I have never once broken my carrier contract nor downloaded a single pirated app. Now, since you are Mr. moral and legal, I must isist that you either...

1) Apologize to me and any other member of the community you grossly mischaracterized, or

2) Please provide your real name and address so that we can sue you for libelous statements about us.

I am sure you will understand.

I will apologize, reading back over my comments I realize I spoke rashly and did not see how deeply offensive my comments were to many. Some of my hacker friends set me straight, and if I'm wrong then I must man up and admit when I'm wrong.

Big thanks to seek3r, your last statement expanded my view of hacking a bit, I made a flamboyant statement and I deserved the backlash I received.


Plea to the hackers, if the intentions are noble please find a way to prevent the piracy. The rest of us are at the mercy of your exploration and discovery.
post #151 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

Yes, I am a thief and I don't care if you or anyone else is a thief. Just be able to admit it instead of whining about it like a little girl. You're friend is still a thief. No troll, just had enough of people justifying anything they do as okay in their own mind and then screeching to everyone how okay it is.

Can you explain, exactly what he did that would be theft? You are mis-reading and mis-interpreting what he wrote. Go back and read it again or have someone read it to you.

Again, his carrier offered him options. Option 1 was to buy an iPad with 3G and a separate data plan for it. Sort of like buying a 3G stick for his laptop. The second option was to pay for tethering for his phone and use it then to provide an IP to his other devices. He choose option 2. Which was offered. he is paying for it and using it as the carrier intended.

This isn't that hard. You have to be pretending. No one is really this obtuse. Even jragosta and hezetation realized their error. You are the only one that still believes this fantasy.

When I bought a new car for my wife a couple months ago, we were offered the bluetooth package. This would allow us to connect her phone to the car for handsfree. The other option was to use the aux input. We choose the aux input as he hardly ever uses her phone in the car. We bought a short cable to plug the phone into the aux jack. That was us choosing another available option, just as the OP chose and PAID FOR another available option.

You are unreal.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #152 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

Jailbreakers are pirates. Be a proud pirate and stop crying.

Only in the same way that all internet users are pedos. That is just an incredibly ignorant statement.

You really must be a troll. No one could honestly think the way you post.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #153 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

Working around the established system to get something you don't think is fair to pay additional fees for could still be called stealing. I don't give a crap that you do it but you act like you some kind of moral high ground here. You don't and you're still a thief.

He didn't work around shit. He chose to pay for a different service offered by his carrier as an alternative option. The carrier allows him to pay for tethering, so he is. This is exactly the same as if he had opted for using tethering to get his laptop online instead of buying a separate 3G stick and plan just for the laptop.

He isn't acting like he has some kind of moral high ground. He has the moral high ground. He is paying explicitly for what he is doing exactly as his is supposed to pay for using it.

You have called him a thief repeatedly, even after it has been repeatedly and clearly explained to you, even using small words for your benefit. It is probably time for the mods to hand out some infractions and perhaps simply ban you as you contribute nothing but inexcusable confusion and repeated, unfounded accusations.

You call him a thief, even though he can in no way be considered a thief for his described actions. People could call you names and insult you for continuing to fail to understand your mistakes, but they don't because we are grown ups.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #154 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

I will apologize, reading back over my comments I realize I spoke rashly and did not see how deeply offensive my comments were to many. Some of my hacker friends set me straight, and if I'm wrong then I must man up and admit when I'm wrong.

Big thanks to seek3r, your last statement expanded my view of hacking a bit, I made a flamboyant statement and I deserved the backlash I received.


Plea to the hackers, if the intentions are noble please find a way to prevent the piracy. The rest of us are at the mercy of your exploration and discovery.

Took you long enough

As for your plea to the hackers, it can't happen. The point of the 'hacking' is to allow more openness and flexibility to the platform and devices that they love. The downside to openness and flexibility is that, by definition, it removes the restrictions that would limit piracy. Piracy can probably never be prevented technologically.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #155 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian.oconnor View Post

Like it or not, you are being a twat. Are you just trolling?

Given that you appear to be such a rabid fan boy and given the position you are taking, it's mildly ironic to think that Jobs and Wozniak's first venture was a hardware device to let you steal phone calls from the AT&T phone network.

Jailbreaking isn't about stealing, it's about doing what you want. If nobody questioned the status quo, if everybody, as you advocate, just fell in behind these conscience-less corporations, the world would be an truly awful place.

Jailbreakers are, for the most part, not pirates. They just won't accept no for an answer.

Where did I ever say that all jailbreakers were stealing? You're simply imagining that.

What I DID say is that if you use jailbreaking to steal services, that it's theft.

Of course, there's the little matter of DMCA that may apply even if you're not stealing anything.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #156 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

You want to ban me because I don't make you feel good and tell you you are okay and agree with you? You can do anything you want, you don't need my permission, and you won't get it.

My goodness I can't believe that you can be such an ignorant person, no one is asking you for permission.

People are simply pointing out that you are factually wrong, you have no leg to stand on, your opionion is null and void...... there are probably other ways to point out that you are plain, flat out, simply wrong but I can no longer be bothered to deal with you.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #157 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

You want to ban me because I don't make you feel good and tell you you are okay and agree with you? You can do anything you want, you don't need my permission, and you won't get it.

I'd be open to seeing you banned because you name call, insult and make baseless accusations. You fail to understand simple concepts, even when repeatedly explained to you.

I was hoping you might actually understand the mistakes you have made. If it was an honest mistake, fine. But at this point, it is either intentional or personal limitations.

No one is looking to you for permission. Why would anyone seek your permissions for perfectly legal activities? You really don't get that, do you? You might be so confused you think they are somehow illegal or theft, but that is your own problem. My problem is when you make accusations against people here that have no basis in reality.

I am serious. Have someone else read this thread to you. They will, perhaps, be better able to explain it to you in spoken english. Reading yourself it doesn't seem to be working for you. No dig there, at all. You just seem unable to understand what is being written here.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #158 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

Wow! Someone doth protest too much!

I've reported you and imagine others will too, it's become
Obvious that you are simply a troll who gets his kicks out of baiting people.

You'll get no further resposes out of me.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #159 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

Wow! Someone doth protest too much!

No protestation. Simply trying to educate your. Obviously a failed attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

But you keep answering me. There must be some need to get my approval.

Huge difference between seeking your approval and someone trying to explain your mistake and why your accusations and insults are misplaced. I no longer expect you can understand this.

As saarek has said, I am done with you. You have proven you are unable to admit or even recognize your errors, so I will leave you to wallow in ignorance.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #160 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Took you long enough

As for your plea to the hackers, it can't happen. The point of the 'hacking' is to allow more openness and flexibility to the platform and devices that they love. The downside to openness and flexibility is that, by definition, it removes the restrictions that would limit piracy. Piracy can probably never be prevented technologically.

Those with the knowledge have the power and therefore the responsibility. I had an uncle who worked on the atomic bomb project. Though he did not drop the bomb, he still feels guilt and remorse that the technology he helped create was used for such destruction.

I know you can't keep people from doing anything they want, but if you are going to hack something and then provide an easy way for anyone and everyone else to do the same just realize you opened a pandora's box.

All I'm saying is it should never be taken lightly. One of the founding principles of the US constitution is that those who have the ability or the power to take action against injustice have the responsibility.

If we want the world to be a better place then we must all take into account the consequences of our actions. This is why I apologized for what I said, I opened my big mouth & rightfully got blasted for my narrow-mindedness. I had an atomic bomb moment. Even if my actions don't wipe out a whole city, I still take the consequences of what I do that seriously.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Hackers release 'jailbreak' of iOS 4 for Apple's iPhone 3GS