or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Hackers release 'jailbreak' of iOS 4 for Apple's iPhone 3GS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hackers release 'jailbreak' of iOS 4 for Apple's iPhone 3GS - Page 3

post #81 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

And let me translate the above into more traditional pirate language:

"Avast ye thar! We's got to free ar iPhones damme for a lubber else! Belike we's not stealin' softwarez, matey we's legit mariners, all free enterprise an' the like! Summ'us e'en got's letters of marque damm yer eyes! The guvner a' Cupertino done made it easier fer us to make a livin' as honest seamen yar, but until we'uns gets ar pardons and such, we'll ply the seas to make sure that thar aren't too many free-roamin' app lackin' fer PROPER seamanlike use else! An' we'uns aren'y no pirates no sir! We're freebootin' privateer traders we are! We got's rules *nudge* well, more like guidelines, and belong to the Distributed Enterprise Voleurs Transportation Eschalon Association of Merchants! Arrrrrrrrr."

there. Much better.

HAHAHAHA! *More like Guidelines*
post #82 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.



Until AT&T and Apple create a way to officially unlock an iPhone that is no longer bound to a contract with the carrier, there will be a need to jailbreak to execute an unofficial unlock.

I purchased an iPhone 3G in the states when it came out, but 2 months ago I was deployed (military) to the middle east. AT&T waived my ETF, as they do for any servicemember in this situation and obviously doesnt want to keep paying for something they can no longer use. However AT&T claim is they can unlock any phone for deploying servicemembers/out of contract individuals *except* the iPhone because of Apple's policy.

The iPhone 3G is my lawful property, I jailbreaked/unlocked it because that was the only means available to gain the full functionality of it by utilizing a sim from a local carrier.
post #83 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Maybe that is where you and I disagree in respect to tethering. I don't believe it is up to carriers to charge whatever they like for data you purchased.

So if you sign a contract for UMLIMiTED data that clearly states that it's for data on the device and not data for another device, you think they don't have the right to control such data use or enforce a contract that you have willingly agreed to? I don't get how anyone can have that sense of entitlement to think it's their god's given right.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #84 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

You shouldn't lump everyone together. Did you know that most App Store piracy occurs in Russia and China?

I will jailbreak for tethering. I'm not going to pay $25/month so AT&T can do nothing. It wreaks of the "old days" when Verizon would cripple Bluetooth.

While Apple has done a lot towards negating the need, there will always be a few geeks who will want more functionality like SSH.

People have to get over the fact that jailbreaking doesn't equal piracy.

Everyone is replying to my comments about lumping jailbreakers, I was actually lumping hackers. If you're going to accuse me of stereotyping at least get it right in who I'm stereotyping.

Look, sharing your iPhone's internet connection in any way is Tethering. Terms of your data use or lack of tethering may be unfair but that is not justifiable cause to break those terms. The legal solution is to dump your carrier and phone and go with something else, like an Android phone.

I miss features like tethering and multitasking (well not now) too but I choose iPhone and AT&T for the benefits I couldn't get on Verizon (awesome hardware, data and calls simultaneously, fast 3G). It's about weighing what is important to you, not getting the phone you think is pretty or the brand you like most.

For a long time Verizon didn't sell devices with wifi, then it started costing them business so now they do. Things don't change for you unless you show providers that you can do without their business. Hacking the iPhone has only brought about tighter restrictions and limitations in data plans.

I have several friends who are hackers, all great people. One thing they seem to have in common though, they do it for the thrill. You only hear the moral arguments after they are trying to justify what they just did. You can disagree with me all you want but I'm just not buying the "justifiable" arguments.
post #85 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

But what a silly first entry to have made in the forum. Try to come up with something a little better for your next one - something a little pithier, perhaps a humorous story, a personal reflection or even a morality tale. Perhaps along the lines of:

"A funny thing happened to me on the way to the ATT store. I met a AI forum poster who loved to jailbreak his phone, but didn't pirate apps. Funny thing was he had an eyepatch. And a wooden leg. And a parrot on his shoulder. And now that I think about it, he looked an awful lot like Jack Sparrow - on a good day. But there weren't any stolen apps on his iPhone - he showed me. After he went on his way though, I noticed a couple of apps missing from MY iPhone. Strange hunh?"

Something like that.

Dang... and you only get ONE first post too. I dropped the ball.

Truthfully, I've just been a lurker until I saw everyone getting mad that he was calling them thieves and was surprised nobody thought he was trolling.

I wonder if such a pirate had a friend who was handy with cocoa and programmed a UI with multiple unlock codes and if you use a particular one, it hides all of your pirated apps.
post #86 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So if you sign a contract for UMLIMiTED data that clearly states that it's for data on the device and not data for another device, you think they don't have the right to control such data use or enforce a contract that you have willingly agreed to? I don't get how anyone can have that sense of entitlement to think it's their god's given right.

Actually in the US I believe that if a provider actually gives you unlimited data that you can share limitlessly across other devices it categorizes them as a telecommunications company, which brings different taxes and fees (as I understand it anyway). This is why advertised "unlimited" plans from cell providers are actually capped at 5Gig and limited to per device plans.

So anyone complaining about the terms of their data usage should talk to their US congressman/woman. That was actually changed just recently, under current administration to counter loopholes put in place by previous administration. I hate politics.
post #87 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

This is why advertised "unlimited" plans from cell providers are actually capped at 5Gig and limited to per device plans.

This was never the case with the iPhone. Some carriers did advertise Unlimited but then had fine print in the contract regarding a 5GB cap. AT&T originally had this in their iPhone contract but later removed it.

I am proof that they let you use unlimited data as I was violating my contract tethering and exceeding 5GB by a large margin.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #88 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

-changing providers
-enabling wifi tethering (now that they can pay for tethering)
-file system access
-installation of apps banned by the appstore
-customization of the UI
-faster access to common Settings

There are many other reasons one might jailbreak. I am sure there are many, maybe even the vast majority, that steal software, and they are dicks. But don't lump everyone into that category. AT&T allowing tethering only removes one reason for jailbreaking...and it actually strengths another (wifi sharing).

Show me the numbers. I'm not claiming 100%, it's such a lame argument to blast people for "lumping" when no one in their right mind should assume I'm saying 100% of jailbreakers are thieves. Someone show me numbers refuting my accusations and I will take it all back, but I genuinely believe that the vast majority of jailbreakers are taking something without paying, either apps or tethering.
post #89 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This was never the case with the iPhone. Some carriers did advertise Unlimited but then had fine print in the contract regarding a 5GB cap. AT&T originally had this in their iPhone contract but later removed it.

I am proof that they let you use unlimited data as I was violating my contract tethering and exceeding 5GB by a large margin.

I thought they grandfathered people and that was why some kept the truly unlimited plans. Like I said, I could be wrong but that was how it was explained to me that every cell provider all of a sudden was capping at 5Gig, something about that number relating to regulation changes by FCC.
post #90 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

I thought they grandfathered people and that was why some kept the truly unlimited plans. Like I said, I could be wrong but that was how it was explained to me that every cell provider all of a sudden was capping at 5Gig, something about that number relating to regulation changes by FCC.

I have no idea why they made the change this year. I assumed it was to help prevent people like me from abusing their network. My comment as about the fact they were not capping data plans simply from using more than 5GB a month.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #91 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have no idea why they made the change this year. I assumed it was to help prevent people like me from abusing their network. My comment as about the fact they were not capping data plans simply from using more than 5GB a month.

Or could not. As a network consultant I'm shocked at how difficult it seems to be for AT&T to block jailbroken users from their network completely. I'm just not sure they have proper restrictions in place to truly lock down their network, they've probably relied heavily upon the hardware manufacturers to do this for them.

Who knows, could be too that since they also provide DSL services and standard phone service they don't care about being branded a telecommunications company cause they already are! Not sure why I didn't think about that before but they probably already pay the taxes and fees others are trying to avoid.
post #92 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Show me the numbers. I'm not claiming 100%, it's such a lame argument to blast people for "lumping" when no one in their right mind should assume I'm saying 100% of jailbreakers are thieves. Someone show me numbers refuting my accusations and I will take it all back, but I genuinely believe that the vast majority of jailbreakers are taking something without paying, either apps or tethering.

Except that is exactly what you did in your first post, and you've been trying to wiggle out of it since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

"No masking" seals it. It's pretty clear that you believe the only reason to jailbreak is for "taking something without paying for it".
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #93 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Or could not. As a network consultant I'm shocked at how difficult it seems to be for AT&T to block jailbroken users from their network completely. I'm just not sure they have proper restrictions in place to truly lock down their network, they've probably relied heavily upon the hardware manufacturers to do this for them.

Who knows, could be too that since they also provide DSL services and standard phone service they don't care about being branded a telecommunications company cause they already are! Not sure why I didn't think about that before but they probably already pay the taxes and fees others are trying to avoid.

It's more than just blocking, they can look at my usage. I think they would be able to tell and at least threaten me with a deletion of my account. If they find me in violation of the contract I signed it would be in their right to cancel my contract (note: they don't sign it) and pay an ETF fee.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #94 of 170
If people want to jailbreak the iPhone because it does not do something, why don't they buy a phone that does everything they want direct from the manufacturer?
post #95 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have no idea why they made the change this year. I assumed it was to help prevent people like me from abusing their network. My comment as about the fact they were not capping data plans simply from using more than 5GB a month.

Capped data plans allow them to introduce tethering. Obviously you tethering your phone and using copious amounts of data was not what they intended the unlimited data plan for. It would be much harder to use that much data on an iPhone without tethering.

Data caps were inevitable for this reason, but at the same time, now that your data is capped, what service is AT&T providing for tethering? You've already paid for a set amount of data, why should it matter how you spend it? Either way AT&T sends the data to your iPhone and the iPhone does something with it. AT&T is providing no additional service to warrant the cost of tethering. When you gas up at a gas station, the rates don't change based on where you tell the attendant you are going. Why should they? What's really sad is that some people actually support AT&T in this matter.

PS: I don't think you did anything wrong in tethering your iPhone. You found a loophole and were prepared to face any consequences associated with it, and AT&T has since closed it (for new customers at least).
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #96 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

If people want to jailbreak the iPhone because it does not do something, why don't they buy a phone that does everything they want direct from the manufacturer?

Because such a phone does not exist. Obvious question gets obvious answer.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #97 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The difference is that I also don't feel entitled to break a contract simply because I no longer choose to abide by it. If AT&T had canceled or throttled my account because of my 40GB per month usage then that is their right. It would have sucked but I am realize the risk I was taking.

You are exactly why I hope that AT&T does start canceling people's contracts. 40GB per month is beyond excessive.
post #98 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Again, I said nothing about stealing did I? Nor did I point fingers - and yet you demonstrated as conclusively as I could have wanted the immediate defensiveness, and ends/means justification.

Show me where I pointed any fingers or said that you called him a thief?

You were saying he had was justifying something and therefore hinting he had a guilty conscience that he was stealing. At least that is how I saw it. If I was mistaken and I offended you because I misread or read too much into your post, I apologize. Otherwise that is the only reason why I quoted your message. My post was mostly for the people attacking Saarek directly.

It appeared to me that Saarek never was trying to justify what he did at first. He was simply sharing a story to help show that everyone who jailbreaks aren't thieves. Then people started to attack him. Then it became defensive.

I am sorry does that make me wrong to think that he doesn't need to defend himself and try and aid him? I do not jailbreak, I do not have any need. Do I have a problem with it? No. Why should I? Why do others?

I personally could not care what others think about jailbreaking. If they think it is wrong or right. People buy computers with Windows or Mac OS X and remove the OS and put different one on. People download software to modify system files to customize the system. Why should this be different for a phone?

What offended me is that people thought this guy was stealing and was going on and on about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Especially if you find yourself reacting negatively to the accusations - a sure sign you are uncertain as to the acceptability of the behaviour.

How is trying to help others see the logic to your actions negative or wrong? How can paying for a service and being creative to use that service, still within the means to do so, in any way questionable? Especially as you said, he isn't hurting anyone.

This is my last post on this topic. I am sorry if you felt personally attacked Masternav, but I do not share your opinion with how you view this particular subject. I am sure you probably do not feel the same about others or even myself.
post #99 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Because such a phone does not exist. Obvious question gets obvious answer.

Then build one and stop hacking others or use the "open" platform that encourages this behavior.
post #100 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

ok, ye of little intelligence, let me spell it out for you:

UNLOCKING- #1 reason to jailbreak, if you travel internationally, it's a must.
Winterboard- I don't use it, but many do.
Intelliscreen- still no answer from Apple for this.
SBSettings- crucial.
Tethering- unrestricted and very nice.
SSH- don't get me started.
All-data SIM- I'm on a 100% data plan, like when you get one of those USB stick modems. There's a SIM card inside, pop it out and into the iPhone= superfast data with NO cap and phone calls to boot.
And the best reason- because we feel like it.

I have zero, nada, null, none, no pirated apps on my jailbroken phone. I pay for everything that's got a pricetag, through the Cydia sotre, Rock store, and App store. So stick it.
post #101 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

Then build one and stop hacking others.

I'll just put you on ignore instead, I don't need to have grade school level arguments with you. My iPhone isn't even jailbroken right now. I just don't think it's unethical to modify a product that you've purchased to suit your needs, people have been doing that with cars for years.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #102 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

I can't decide if you're trolling or not, but I'll bite.

My ipod touch is jail broken because I want to be able to compile and run any app I want, without it being vetted by apple first. I want to be able to retain apps that apple has pulled from the app store. I want to be able to run a full dev tool-chain on my ipod if I want to, have full directory access, and full control over *my device*. I want to be able to customize my UI more than apple's anemic built-in abilities. I don't want to get an android device because there are a lot of things I really like about iOS, but I do want to customize it a bit.


2 other points:

a) I don't need the warranty as much as I want these features, and you can sure as hell bet there are a lot of others like me!

but also, b) in respect to
Quote:
others work hard to steal from those

, some people also happen to like to hack their devices, make them work in ways they werent marketed to.

My xbox at home serves as a streaming media center more than as a game console, and it used to function as server before being retired in favor of a mac mini (both btw running debian linux). Back when I lived a college house my beer fridge had temp sensors purloined from a broken imac. The list goes on

Hacking is fun, mate!
MBP (15, 2.33, 3GB,10.6/win/lin on 250GB)
MP (3,1 oct 2.8, 10GB. 10.6 on 4x1TB RAID10, Win/Lin on 1x2TB, 2407WFP on 1x5770 + 2xSamsung 910t on 1xGT120)
also a lot of other systems :-p
I met a...
Reply
MBP (15, 2.33, 3GB,10.6/win/lin on 250GB)
MP (3,1 oct 2.8, 10GB. 10.6 on 4x1TB RAID10, Win/Lin on 1x2TB, 2407WFP on 1x5770 + 2xSamsung 910t on 1xGT120)
also a lot of other systems :-p
I met a...
Reply
post #103 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

Mmm lets see. For my 3G (which gets a limited version of the iOS):

1. Video
2. AutoSilent (which for $3 allows me to get around having to pay $199 for Apple to replace my broken audio on/off switch)
3. GV Mobile
4. iFile
5. Multi-tasking as per ios4 or through backgrounder (which has to be updated)
6. Themes
7. Wireless sync
8. Bluetooth keyboard and mouse
9. Insomnia
10. PrivaCy app (to stop advertisers collecting stats about you)
11. SBSettings to quickly turn BT on/off, adjust brightness on the fly etc.
12. Firewall
13. The ability to put info like calendar on my lock screen
There are also a bunch of other apps I don't have, but which add features that have nothing to do with piracy or tethering:
infinboard, sbschedule, screenDimmer, fastphotolibrary, multiflow, fastreader, calendarpro, voicemail forwarder and a whole host of other apps.
post #104 of 170
i'd guess most jailbreakers are just hobbyists (aka nerds, geeks, techies, etc) who love to fool around with their gadgets, especially if it is unauthorized and a little tricky! let 'em have their fun - they know they are on their own if things go wrong.

stealing stuff can't be a big motive. how much in app payments might you avoid? a few hundred bucks max. it's not like file sharing movies, music, console games, or expensive MS software where the total can definitely go into the thousands. i'm sure some do, but it's chickenfeed.

as to the telcos - it's hard to see a moral issue there. the telcos screw consumerers as much as they can get away with (including buying Congress, etc), totalling in the billions every year. and a few jailbreakers screw the telcos back, totalling at most in the low millions. that's a thousand-to-one ratio. it's the good ol' American way!
post #105 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Show me the numbers. I'm not claiming 100%, it's such a lame argument to blast people for "lumping" when no one in their right mind should assume I'm saying 100% of jailbreakers are thieves. Someone show me numbers refuting my accusations and I will take it all back, but I genuinely believe that the vast majority of jailbreakers are taking something without paying, either apps or tethering.

What you wrote was
Quote:
Geesh, so now that there is multitasking I wonder what their excuse is now. Once tethering is official then there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.

Some people work hard for what they get, others work hard to steal from those people.

Which was wrong on a number of levels. Firstly, tethering already is available, even for the late to the party AT&T. Second, your assertion that once tethering is official, "there will be no masking their agenda to steal software and services.", which is of course, clear bullshit. If you were talking only about those that pirate software, then say that. Instead you lump them all under 'masking their agenda to steal software and services' with their claim of doing it for tethering. You were clearly lumping all jailbreakers and saying those that claim it is for functionality are lying and will have that exposed once those functions are built in. There are of course many customizations that people will always want above what is provided.

It may in fact be the case that most jailbreakers do pirate. That doesn't mean all. It is disingenuous, at best, for you to claim you weren't lumping them all together now.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #106 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

If people want to jailbreak the iPhone because it does not do something, why don't they buy a phone that does everything they want direct from the manufacturer?

maybe because they like the rest of the package that the iPhone comes with. Maybe they love Apple products. Maybe they want to buy from and support Apple but want their device to do more than it can out of the box. Maybe because they can think for themselves and haven't become mindless drones.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #107 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

You are exactly why I hope that AT&T does start canceling people's contracts. 40GB per month is beyond excessive.

They could of but didn't. They chose instead to cap plans.

Two things you should know: I have kept my unlimited plan specifically to wait for an hack to tether again and if they do cancel my plan won't be on these forums bellyaching about how AT&T. It's when thing to violate your contract it's another thing to not take responsibility for your actions.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #108 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

maybe because they like the rest of the package that the iPhone comes with. Maybe they love Apple products. Maybe they want to buy from and support Apple but want their device to do more than it can out of the box. Maybe because they can think for themselves and haven't become mindless drones.

+1 Interesting how "Think Different" has changed
post #109 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

Interesting how "Think Different" has change

The fanbase certainly has changed. The nouveau Apple fans that have come on board since the iPhone and iPod certainly seem to have some of the old timers beat in zeal and blind devotion. We were humourously referred to as Mac-Addicts, -Cultists and -Zealots. Unfortunately, these days those terms apply without the humour attached. The new wave iFan seems to want to prove their devotion by turning off their brains. If Apple hasn't approved something, then it must be wrong.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #110 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Except that is exactly what you did in your first post, and you've been trying to wiggle out of it since then.

Where, show me where it said 100%. Explain to me how it's logical to assume that I meant 100%. It's a lame argument by people who can't counter so they try to discredit.

"No masking" seals it. It's pretty clear that you believe the only reason to jailbreak is for "taking something without paying for it".

It's pretty clear I believe the greatest motivation for hacking the iPhone was to gain unauthorized apps (including theft of legit apps) or to tether illegally. It's pretty clear I believe that is the greatest motivation behind it.

Can I be any more clear? Should I write an essay on the matter?
post #111 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

ok, ye of little intelligence, let me spell it out for you:

UNLOCKING- #1 reason to jailbreak, if you travel internationally, it's a must.
Winterboard- I don't use it, but many do.
Intelliscreen- still no answer from Apple for this.
SBSettings- crucial.
Tethering- unrestricted and very nice.
SSH- don't get me started.
All-data SIM- I'm on a 100% data plan, like when you get one of those USB stick modems. There's a SIM card inside, pop it out and into the iPhone= superfast data with NO cap and phone calls to boot.
And the best reason- because we feel like it.

I have zero, nada, null, none, no pirated apps on my jailbroken phone. I pay for everything that's got a pricetag, through the Cydia sotre, Rock store, and App store. So stick it.

Attack the intelligence and then confirm my claim. Thanks, perfect response.
post #112 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

It's pretty clear I believe the greatest motivation for hacking the iPhone was to gain unauthorized apps (including theft of legit apps) or to tether illegally. It's pretty clear I believe that is the greatest motivation behind it.

Can I be any more clear? Should I write an essay on the matter?

Yes & Yes (not that I would read it mind you but it would take your trolling self off someplace else for a while)
post #113 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

Grrrrr look at me!!!! I'm a pirate!!!!!


Oh wait... guess I'm not.

There's plenty of reasons to jailbreak, not all of us steal software. iOS4 gets rid of many reasons to jailbreak, but until there's an official option to install whatever someone chooses, there's a;ways going to be INNOVATIVE apps available on alternative stores. Please don't group us together as a band of pirates.

There is, it's called Android. I love how everyone singles out app theft. Guilty by association eh?
post #114 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWahlman View Post



Until AT&T and Apple create a way to officially unlock an iPhone that is no longer bound to a contract with the carrier, there will be a need to jailbreak to execute an unofficial unlock.

I purchased an iPhone 3G in the states when it came out, but 2 months ago I was deployed (military) to the middle east. AT&T waived my ETF, as they do for any servicemember in this situation and obviously doesnt want to keep paying for something they can no longer use. However AT&T claim is they can unlock any phone for deploying servicemembers/out of contract individuals *except* the iPhone because of Apple's policy.

The iPhone 3G is my lawful property, I jailbreaked/unlocked it because that was the only means available to gain the full functionality of it by utilizing a sim from a local carrier.

Yeah!!! an intelligent argument!! Everyone take note!

I concede to you MWahlman that I was indeed boisterous in my original claim, I concur that in your situation you were perfectly within your right.

Sadly I still believe you are in the minority.
post #115 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

He is a thief.

I could as easily call you a thief. But that would be ignorant.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #116 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Show me the numbers. I'm not claiming 100%, it's such a lame argument to blast people for "lumping" when no one in their right mind should assume I'm saying 100% of jailbreakers are thieves. Someone show me numbers refuting my accusations and I will take it all back, but I genuinely believe that the vast majority of jailbreakers are taking something without paying, either apps or tethering.

So we should rely on your belief that something is true? Since you expect someone to show you the numbers, maybe you can provide numbers to support your accusations that the "vast majority" of jailbreakers are thieves.
post #117 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

I can't decide if you're trolling or not, but I'll bite.

My ipod touch is jail broken because I want to be able to compile and run any app I want, without it being vetted by apple first. I want to be able to retain apps that apple has pulled from the app store. I want to be able to run a full dev tool-chain on my ipod if I want to, have full directory access, and full control over *my device*. I want to be able to customize my UI more than apple's anemic built-in abilities. I don't want to get an android device because there are a lot of things I really like about iOS, but I do want to customize it a bit.


2 other points:

a) I don't need the warranty as much as I want these features, and you can sure as hell bet there are a lot of others like me!

but also, b) in respect to , some people also happen to like to hack their devices, make them work in ways they werent marketed to.

My xbox at home serves as a streaming media center more than as a game console, and it used to function as server before being retired in favor of a mac mini (both btw running debian linux). Back when I lived a college house my beer fridge had temp sensors purloined from a broken imac. The list goes on

Hacking is fun, mate!

Promise I'm not. My first post was perhaps a little boisterous, a bit of a jab at the hackers knowing they would indeed bite. However, digital rights and contractual agreements deserve some lengthy discussion in this world as it seems more and more we care less about either.
post #118 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

.... However, digital rights and contractual agreements deserve some lengthy discussion in this world as it seems more and more we care less about either.

Interesting how much ATT seems to care about their terms and conditions - they can change them at any time by simply saying that they can:

Changes to the terms and conditions: These terms and conditions may be changed from time to time. AT&T will post the most current version of these terms and conditions at att.com/mediaterms or other appropriate location. Please check these regularly to inform yourself about changes to the terms and conditions. (from: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...plan-terms.jsp)
post #119 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

There is, it's called Android. I love how everyone singles out app theft. Guilty by association eh?

I don't like Android OS nor the phones it is for. You were the first person to single out app theft as the "prime reason" people jailbreak, I don't get why you're trying to make it sound like I singled it out in my post which was a response to your claims.
post #120 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

It's pretty clear I believe the greatest motivation for hacking the iPhone was to gain unauthorized apps (including theft of legit apps) or to tether illegally. It's pretty clear I believe that is the greatest motivation behind it.

Can I be any more clear? Should I write an essay on the matter?

Actually you said it was the only reason. You're only changing your tune because you've been proven wrong and you're trying to save face. Pirated apps could be a major motivating factor for many, perhaps even a majority of jailbreakers, but lumping everyone together is doing many many people a major disservice.

Ignorance like yours is what allows corporations to slowly erode away our consumer rights. Apparently everything they do is okay as long as they are doing it to fight those dirty pirates, which of course includes all jailbreakers. Canada has a bill in legislature that would make it illegal to break digital locks, and some people think that's fine because they have the same mindset as you. If this bill passes, I'll think of you every time I break the law by copying one of my purchased DVD's to my computer.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Hackers release 'jailbreak' of iOS 4 for Apple's iPhone 3GS