or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Glass back of iPhone 4 review unit collects 'incredibly minor' scratches

Glass back of iPhone 4 review unit collects 'incredibly minor' scratches - Page 2

post #41 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Aw.. Come on... You would be instantly famous.

Yep he would be famous....... or infamous as the first person to BREAK their new iPhone 4 and look he even filmed it! LOL LOL

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #42 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

...and if this glass is harder, what happened to it?

http://www.corning.com/gorillaglass/...ngthening.aspx
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #43 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post

I've had several iPhones since Apple released them and not one of them has every had the glass scratch. I have abused them traveling several hundred thousand miles a year, taking taxis all over the place, dropping them from upstairs to downstairs at home (oops), etc, and have yet to ever have the glass scratch or crack.

So if this stuff has already scratched under moderate abuse, it is informative.

Trolls can go home now.

[Edit] I have also never used any protection on them and I keep them in my pocket with keys, etc. The plastic back has scratched (duh) but the glass has always been pristine.

What a world are you in when "moderate abuse" of a phone includes "On that note, we've actually seen the iPhone 4 tossed with and without a bumper across a room (one hit a wall) with no issue, and we dropped ours pretty hard from about two feet up onto tile with nary a scratch."?
post #44 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Only Apple could charge $29 for a band of rubber.

That would be a band of rubber with metal button extenders.
post #45 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny25 View Post

Hello All
I am new in this forum.
I am very much glad that I joined this forum as I am a real gadget freak.
Very much excited to share my thoughts on new gadgets

Welcome Johny!
post #46 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

You wouldn't mind making a video by chance?

I second that!!!
post #47 of 110
Everything scratches. Unless we know exactly WHAT caused a particular scratch, it tells us nothing. Repeated, controlled tests, not vague anecdotes, are what have significance. Only time can tell.

We can safely assume though, that there still is no magical 100% scratch-proof phone in the world.

And Id still rather have a scratched device than a bulkier one! No case for me except in certain rare situations.
post #48 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Yep he would be famous....... or infamous as the first person to BREAK their new iPhone 4 and look he even filmed it! LOL LOL

I smell Oscar nomination. Do it! Do it! Do it!
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #49 of 110
I don't know of ANY material outside of diamonds that won't acquire at at least these kinds of micro-scratches after continuous use and contact with everyday surfaces like a table top. Have a look at your stainless steel knives etc, they'll have micro-scratches. Don't sweat it. They aren't even visible unless you catch the light just right and look closely. If it bothers you, put it is a case.

Hopefully, this will be my first iPhone that I don't feel I need to put in a case.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #50 of 110
looks to me like when you scratch a new unwrapped DVD......IMO
post #51 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

I don't know of ANY material outside of diamonds that won't acquire at at least these kinds of micro-scratches after continuous use and contact with everyday surfaces like a table top. Have a look at your stainless steel knives etc, they'll have micro-scratches. Don't sweat it. They aren't even visible unless you catch the light just right and look closely. If it bothers you, put it is a case.

Hopefully, this will be my first iPhone that I don't feel I need to put in a case.

Wurtzite Boron Nitride (w-BN)?
post #52 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Everything scratches. Unless we know exactly WHAT caused a particular scratch, it tells us nothing. Repeated, controlled tests, not vague anecdotes, are what have significance. Only time can tell.

We can safely assume though, that there still is no magical 100% scratch-proof phone in the world.

And Id still rather have a scratched device than a bulkier one! No case for me except in certain rare situations.

I agree. I still have the originial 2g iPhone and the bezel got scratched to hell just by using a case and having pocket dust collect inside the case.

Endgadget doesn't elaborate on how the scratches got there. Maybe the reviewer was refurbishing some furniture and had some 100 grit sandpaper in his pocket along with the iPhone. Maybe he was at the beach and got sand in his shorts. Who knows? It's fishy right now.
post #53 of 110
For those of you who DO keep their devices wrapped in a case to prevent scratches: Do you periodically take it out and stare at it and admire its scratchless purity?

I'm just trying to understand. I never got the plastic sofa slipcovers either, if that helps explain where I'm coming from...
post #54 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

For those of you who DO keep their devices wrapped in a case to prevent scratches: Do you periodically take it out and stare at it and admire its scratchless purity?

I'm just trying to understand. I never got the plastic sofa slipcovers either, if that helps explain where I'm coming from...

Now that's an excellent point.

I similarly don't understand people who put those huge leather covers on the front of their cars. A car with some scratches looks better than that crap!
post #55 of 110
Quote:

I'm with ya man. I had a plastic hard case over my iPhone for well over 9 months. I finally took it off only to find that dirt had lodged its way in between the case and the metal rim around my 3GS. The dirt combined with the fit of the case combined with movement from 9 months of use caused the little tiny granules to scratch the metal. Now I have tons of tiny little scratch marks all around the edge.

This also happend on the back of the iPhone, but to a lesser degree.

I finally said "F**k it" and took the case off. It sure does feel nice to have a device that not only is now lighter, but looks better to boot. And since taking the case off three months ago, I've only picked up a few tiny scratches on the back -- nothing offensive, just normal wear and tear.

It IS a phone after all...
post #56 of 110
Quote:

I did read that when iFixIt first suggested it might be Gorilla Glass, but my main interest here was why they were getting scratching so soon on an iPhone 4 when that seems such a rare occurrence for previous iPhone models, let alone the new glass which is supposed to be strongermade me wonder what might have happened.

And as a side note, those illustrations make it seem as if the Gorilla glass prevents damage within the glass, but does little to alter the way in which surface damage is received. I didn't put much weight in the illustrations, though, without technical explanation to correspond.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #57 of 110
What I would like to know is if the stainless steel band is the same scratch-happy stainless steel Apple uses on its iPod models or if this is a much more scratch-resistant one.
post #58 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think the bumper is to protect the edge of the glass from impact since unlike previous models the glass sits on top of the metal frame instead of inside of it. With the edge of the glass exposed like this there may be an increased risk of cracking if it sustains an impact directly on the corner or the edge.

Might also be to keep folks from touching the antenna. Touching the antenna while holding the phone might decrease reception.
post #59 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

What I would like to know is if the stainless steel band is the same scratch-happy stainless steel Apple uses on its iPod models or if this is a much more scratch-resistant one.

I didn't think Apple used stainless steel on their iPods. I thought it was aluminium. Hardended steel has about a 7.58 rating on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness.
post #60 of 110
not sure why everyone is getting up in arms about engadget reporting scratches. the whole point is that *despite* the abuse, it barely scratched. they're pretty much affirming apple's position.

the more ridiculous aspect is that at the bottom of the article, they reference the article where ifixyouri claims it cracked from a couple foot's drop. it's been clearly debunked and yet they're still referencing it.
post #61 of 110
Anyone have experience with ZAGG's invisible Shield? I've used Power Support crystal film and was satisfied. I don't see them having something to protect the back. I don't want to use a case because i like the look of bare.

-Chris
post #62 of 110
I will definately get me a bumper, but with $30 plus shipping & taxes, Im afraid I will break it or scratch it. Where can I get a protector for the bumper?
post #63 of 110
Yesterday David Pogue tweeted about setting the i4 on the hood of a truck while he tied his shoe. It slid off onto the concrete and survived perfectly intact.

I also read about someone dragging the phone around on the ground without damage.

Clearly it's quite strong.

Diamond rings will be a potential problem though....
post #64 of 110
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #65 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ixIH...layer_embedded

AWESOME!!!

I call BS. Or at a minimum the experience is as anecdotal as my own I just picked mine up and with my thumb and index finger of both hands complete covered all sides and it didn't drop any signal strength.

EDIT:K - just did the same with two more iPhone 4s (or is it iPhones 4?) with the same result. Reckon I should YouTube for 15 secs of fame.
post #66 of 110
One of the biggest misjudgments (in my opinion) people my make is choosing black products because they think that white ones show blemishes too much. This is only true for white clothes, white shoes, etc. where one might get dirt on it. What are you gonna get on your white iPhone - mud? Grass stains?

No, on a mobile device, oil/fingerprints, scratches, and dust are more likely to show up. White covers all of these things much better than black. I am constantly wiping down my black sunglasses, my MacBook Pro's bezel, and my PS3; not my Magic Mouse or white iPhone 3G.
post #67 of 110
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ixIH...layer_embedded

AWESOME!!!

Hes a moron for blocking comments on his video, this will not help his issue with the phone.
Someone out there might have a reason or a solution.
post #68 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I call BS. Or at a minimum the experience is as anecdotal as my own I just picked mine up and with my thumb and index finger of both hands complete covered all sides and it didn't drop any signal strength.

K - just did the same with two more iPhone 4s (or is it iPhones 4?) with the same result. Reckon I should YouTube for 15 secs of fame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdB-V...layer_embedded

EVEN AWESOMER!!!

Ste...

Ste...
post #69 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

Hes a moron for blocking comments on his video, this will not help his issue with the phone.
Someone out there might have a reason or a solution.

It's a global problem. The disabled comments is probably preemptive against Apple fanbois.

Ste...

Ste...
post #70 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I didn't think Apple used stainless steel on their iPods. I thought it was aluminium. Hardended steel has about a 7.58 rating on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness.

The back side of the iPod classic and iPod touch use stainless steel that scratches if you breathe on it. The iPod shuffle, iPod nano, MacBook Pro and iMac all use anodized aluminum instead of stainless steel, material that is far better at resisting scratches.

Thus, I'd like to know if the stainless steel on the iPhone 4 is the same as the one used on the classic and touch. Because if so, the band is going to get scratched up very quickly and very easily.
post #71 of 110
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYmVp...layer_embedded

I guess we know why Apple has been hyping those rubber bumpers now...

Ste...

Ste...
post #72 of 110
Quote:

EVEN AWESOMER!!!

Ha! His left hand is what I did but I also added my right covering the other side when I saw zero change. I'll give him this much - his phone is jacked. Maybe if he prays hard to SJ tonight his closest Apple Store will have stock for replacements
post #73 of 110
Quote:

EVEN AWESOMER!!!

In Apple's defense, at least is nice and shiny.
post #74 of 110
Directly from the iPhone 4 manual, although we know people won't bother to read it:

Keeping the outside of the iPhone clean:
"...the front and back glass surfaces have an oleophobic coating. To remove fingerprints simply wipe these surfaces with a soft, lint-free cloth. Note that the ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and that rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch the glass."

An abrasive material would be anything other than a soft, lint-free cloth. I don't understand how people constantly drop their cell phones. Hold on to them like you hold on to your kid. Except for Britney Spears, you don't see people dropping their kids by accident on a regular basis.
post #75 of 110
Quote:

I agree, but phones are different in one regard. If I have something that's inconvenient to hold or easy to drop, I'll use a case to keep me from dropping it. I have a case for my iPad, for example, because it's easier to stand it up on a desk to read that way. My iPhone case is a belt holster.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #76 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

The back side of the iPod classic and iPod touch use stainless steel that scratches if you breathe on it. The iPod shuffle, iPod nano, MacBook Pro and iMac all use anodized aluminum instead of stainless steel, material that is far better at resisting scratches.

Thus, I'd like to know if the stainless steel on the iPhone 4 is the same as the one used on the classic and touch. Because if so, the band is going to get scratched up very quickly and very easily.

1) You are comparing highly polished steel to steel that isn't polished. The former obviously being more scratch prone.

2) You are comparing stainless steel to hardened stainless steel. The former obviously being more scratch prone as the link I previously supplied clearly indicates.

3) You are stating that aluminium is more scratch resistant to hardened stainless steel. This is incorrect as the link I previously supplied clearly indicates.
post #77 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Ha! His left hand is what I did but I also added my right covering the other side when I saw zero change. I'll give him this much - his phone is jacked. Maybe if he prays hard to SJ tonight his closest Apple Store will have stock for replacements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB2-d...layer_embedded

I guess Apple will have to replace all iPhones out there now...

Ste...

Ste...
post #78 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

The issue at hand is that apple wont sell the plastic covers anymore that protect the glass from scratches which is STUPID. I'll have mine wrapped in SOMEthing.

Yeah, it is stupid of Apple.

I was surfing around yesterday and found a site selling what looks like a good, if somewhat pricey, solution for protecting both the front and back of the new iPhone 4. They sell protectors for earlier iPhones and other gadgets as well:

http://www.zagg.com

Disclaimer: I have absolutely nothing to do with ZAGG, I'm just passing along what I found.
post #79 of 110
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB2-d...layer_embedded

I guess Apple will have to replace all iPhones out there now...

Tried it on yours yet?
post #80 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork Heidelberg View Post

Yeah, it is stupid of Apple.

I was surfing around yesterday and found a site selling what looks like a good, if somewhat pricey, solution for protecting both the front and back of the new iPhone 4. They sell protectors for earlier iPhones and other gadgets as well:

http://www.zagg.com

Disclaimer: I have absolutely nothing to do with ZAGG, I'm just passing along what I found.

I happened to have ordered 4 of those today to take care of la familia. I didn't get the ones that cover the metal; just the front and back. I wanted to keep that feel. Brushed metal won't look bad with a few small nicks and scratches. I fear the kids and the hazards found in the dark depths of purses.

-Chris
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Glass back of iPhone 4 review unit collects 'incredibly minor' scratches
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Glass back of iPhone 4 review unit collects 'incredibly minor' scratches