or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Some early iPhone 4 shipments have defective screens, missing bars

Some early iPhone 4 shipments have defective screens, missing bars - Page 4

post #121 of 190
Let's hope, we are not getting what we deserve. That is, new and exciting products, TO FAST.

We beg for
We start rumors about
We ask for, no we demand new and exciting products from Apple, just about as fast as they can create, invent, design, produce new products, and now it could be coming to a head. The folks overseas, can't work that fast and still provide the quality that we as Americans want and expect.

You can crack the whip all you want, but making them faster, just won't hold the quality - it just won't!

Faster is not always better.

So will Apple go down as a innovative company yes!

Will Apple go down as a company that provided it's users with the toys they wanted, when they wanted them Yes!

Might Apple go down as a smaller version of Toyota it could. If these issues were life threatening, you could be assured, Toyota would be thanking Apple for coming out with the iPhone 4 at this time, so as to take some of the heat off of their screw ups.

If WE stopped asking some much from Apple, maybe they would slow down, and make cool, quality, innovative products that we could use as soon as we purchased them instead of dealing with "a few small issues".

We have allowed for a tolerance for X, built into each new thing that comes down the pike. So are you one of the lucky ones, only time will tell.

Answer me this, would you be happier if the new iPhone 4, didn't come out until September, IF it did so, trouble free! Then let Apple know, to slow down, your ok with it.

Skip
post #122 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post

The issue doesn't seem to be CALLS. Most people who have had the issue have been able to make calls from what I've read. But it does seem to affect data speeds dramatically, as per pics on gizmodo

I can, sometimes, make the 3G bars drop and the WiFi arcs drop by creatively holding the antennae-- but not predictably.

I ran several speed test apps, including the one shown in gizmodo-- both WiFi and 3G.

Often, the speed tests were better when I tried to "short" the antennae. But nothing was predictable. The same test, without moving my hands, could be double or half the preceding test-- pretty much normal behavior!

It should be noted that most speed test apps allow you to select among several servers. You can skew the numbers by selecting a more/less accessible server.

My display is fine... beautiful, actually.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #123 of 190
Just like a bad batch of hash brownies... I say that because mine doesn't have any in-hand signal issues nor does it have any screen discoloration either. None of friends have those issues as well...

More than likely those people got the shipment of bad iPhone 4s. We'll find out more today how many more of those bad phones are out there.
post #124 of 190
Very happy to report that my screen on iPhone4 is absolutey amazing with no defects at all.

Best of luck to anyone who's got issues.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #125 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

Looks like this issue is becoming pretty prevalent on Apple Support:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&tstart=0

Mmmm... overstating a bit?

I just checked the link, 9 hours after your post:

-- there were 58 total posts

-- near as I could tell there were 15 phones with a display blotch problem

-- some reported that the problem went away

Certainly, 15 defective units is an issue-- but I wouldn't call it "pretty prevalent".

post #126 of 190
How do we KNOW that the screens are defective. Should we not have said MAY be defective?
post #127 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

They are reporting news. If they were to wait until all the facts were in, they would instead be reporting history.

There's nothing wrong with reporting news.

But there's a big difference between "one person was hit on the head by a falling object" and "the sky is falling".
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #128 of 190
Maybe they should have done more field testing? LOL
post #129 of 190
I guess we would blame Gizmodo for this. Maybe Apple rushed it because Giz forced their hand. I am not being facetious. I am not going to get into the debate again about Giz's guilt or innocence in their actions. But the fact is, that with so many details leaked, Apple may have been pressured to include specs that were not properly vetted and/or to curtail external field testing. The fault would not lie with Giz alone, but with all the other sites and we as readers that helped to propagate the story.

Hopefully the yellow bars and spots are just a bad batch and the reduced signal bars when touched can be corrected via software/firmware. Actually glad Canada is getting it a bit later now, so the early adopters can work the early kinks out for us.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #130 of 190
My screen is fine but my bars drop everytime I pick up the phone to talk.

From four bars to one in 10 seconds or so. This kinda blows.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #131 of 190
Hey, Elmer, please stop the FUD. Nobody is listening to the iHater's nonsense. By the end of the week a couple of million iPhones will be in consumer's pockets.
http://www.electronista.com/articles...ral.countries/
post #132 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by austingaijin View Post

Apple is using a bonding agent called Organofunctional Silane Z-6011 to bond the layers of glass. Apparently, Apple (or more likely Foxconn) is shipping these products so quickly that the evaporation process is not complete. However, after one or two days of use, especially with the screen on, will complete the evaporation process and the yellow "blotches" will disappear.

How do I know? I was involved in pitching Z-6011 to Apple.

Excellent post!!!
post #133 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Vincent View Post

And if you don't think they are the first to know your more ignorant than intelligent.

Ahhh, irony.
post #134 of 190
Steve missed his chance:

One more thing! RUBBER BABY BUGGY BUMPERS!

the crowd roars!
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #135 of 190
Just buy one of Apple's rubber rings (only $30!) for you phone and POOF! the problem will go away.

Makes you wonder if they knew about this issue before the release of the new phone and that's why Steve mentioned the glorified rubber bands during his keynote.

I'll stick with my 3G for now.
Anthracite
Anthracite
post #136 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

[SIZE="5"]THIS IS A BIG DEAL, AND IT'S PISSING ME OFF. I WANTED AN IPHONE 4 LIKE CRAZY AND I CAN'T BUY NOW. I'M NOT BUYING UNTIL APPLE SOLVES THIS. THIS SHIT IS REAL.

Easy Veruca dear, daddy will buy you an Oompa as soon as possible...
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #137 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamb View Post

Sorry to troll.... But, wow you dorks have surely spun yourselves into a tizzy haven't you.

Take a deep breath. Everything will be fine.

Here and over at MacRumors, it's insane. Thank you for being so level headed. Also the person who said that it's unlikely to be a fundimental design flaw and it will work itsself out. It WILL.
post #138 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDudder View Post

My friend received his new iPhone 4. I dont know if it was the antenna issue or what. It was disheartening and I am thinking of cancelling my order after the problems he was having. I have and old 3G and we had the phones in the same area outside and inside. My 3G had 5 bars on 3G, the iPhone 4 would go on Edge and sometimes no signal at all. I tried to call the phone with my 3G and it went to voicemail. The other issue was Safari would not work. It would pull up a page and freeze.

And you're some dude with one post named AppleDudder. Who are you working for again?
post #139 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthracite View Post

Just buy one of Apple's rubber rings (only $30!) for you phone and POOF! the problem will go away.

Makes you wonder if they knew about this issue before the release of the new phone and that's why Steve mentioned the glorified rubber bands during his keynote.

I'll stick with my 3G for now.

I'm sticking with 3G now also considering I'm a lefty. This is a widespread problem and it isn't software related. I now believe those rumors of the iPhone being the primary cause of dropped signals. These problems, in the manner you hold the iPhone, apparently go back to the 3G model. It really is disappointing and I won't buy it until there is a hardware fix. Hate to be cruel but Apple should learn how to build an actual better phone.

A video of the same problem occurring on a 3GS.

From Engadget :

One iPhone 4 demonstrated the issue everytime it was held in our left hand (as a right-handed person is apt to do) so that our palm was essentially bridging the two antennas. You can see that in the video after the break. Bridging the two with a finger tip, however, didn't cause any issues with the reported reception. If we had to guess, we'd say that our conductive skin was acting to detune the antenna -- in fact, we've already managed to slowly kill two calls that way so it's not just an issue with the software erroneously reporting an incorrect signal strength.
post #140 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyespark View Post

When you turn off WiFi there is no change in the problem. You see the display go from 3G to Edge to nothing. It bleeds off at the same rate as the bars.

The problem does not affect the WiFi signal.

That's what I'm seeing on mine.

That good news.

Still, it's not just superficial with the bars as the dropped calls on these specific texts, "Searching…" for carriers in Texas while doing it and speed-tests slowing down to a stop while doing it. Hopefully it can be fix via software, but it currently "looks" like a hardware issue.

It could be a software-to-hardware issue, but that remains to be seen. As is I'm afraid I can't buy until I hear Apple publicly announcing a solution a solution.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #141 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyespark View Post

So... in an area with strong signal, calls go through and the download speed stays the same... but upload speed halves.

Ahhh then all is well, AT$Ts network is so awesome we should have no issues
post #142 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I guess we would blame Gizmodo for this. Maybe Apple rushed it because Giz forced their hand. I am not being facetious. I am not going to get into the debate again about Giz's guilt or innocence in their actions. But the fact is, that with so many details leaked, Apple may have been pressured to include specs that were not properly vetted and/or to curtail external field testing. The fault would not lie with Giz alone, but with all the other sites and we as readers that helped to propagate the story.

Hopefully the yellow bars and spots are just a bad batch and the reduced signal bars when touched can be corrected via software/firmware. Actually glad Canada is getting it a bit later now, so the early adopters can work the early kinks out for us.

Na. There was evidence out there that AT$T was canceling all leave and vacation for mid-end June 2010. This was long before Giz leaked the phone. This day was set in stone long before the Giz issue.
post #143 of 190
I wonder if this is related to the iPad wifi issue they've been having as well. The wifi signal on my iPad fluctuates, but I'm able to connect even when it registers no signal. Not sure what Apple is up to with this one, but hopefully they can fix it soon.
post #144 of 190

iPhone 4 users in Japan doesn't seem to have reception/antenna issues while holding it. Looks full bar to me...

I THINK THOSE WHO GOT iPHONES ACTION PACKED WITH ISSUES JUST GOT THE BAD BATCH OF iPHONES. Mine doesn't have any of the issues some people seem to have.
post #145 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Na. There was evidence out there that AT$T was canceling all leave and vacation for mid-end June 2010. This was long before Giz leaked the phone. This day was set in stone long before the Giz issue.

Sure, the date was generally set. Doesn't mean the feature set was set in stone though. Once so concretely leaked, it might have been difficult to withdraw some that were not-quite-ready-for-primetime.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #146 of 190
Yellow tint on the bottom of the screen. Geez just like MacBook screens for the last few years. What the crap is Apple doing to its screens. Netbooks costing $300 have better screens without tints. I had this on my MacBook Pro, the first unit. Got it replaced and the new one doesn't have it fortunately. I don't know if it's LED related or what but tinted screens are not cool.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #147 of 190
Quote:

We would.

If not for Gizmodo, the defects would not be present. They are the proximate cause of the iPhone defects.

Or, maybe, to be more accurate, YOU would blame Gizmodo for this, but few rational people would even think along those lines.

Well, there was the story/rumour of Apple having another iPhone 4 in development. The other unit was more similar to the iPhone 3G/3GS in external design. It was a possible fall back to use, in case the newer design and the new manufacturing processes it required couldn't be perfected in time for the launch. The report was that the leak forced Apple's hand and they felt they had to go with the new design as it had been so thoroughly leaked.

I don't actually blame Giz itself (I was generally one of the few that were defending them from the onslaught of accusations). But, I do see how the leak itself, whether the Giz leak or the ones from Viet Nam, could have resulted in Apple choosing to go with the new design.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #148 of 190
Quote:

Apple is using a bonding agent called Organofunctional Silane Z-6011 to bond the layers of glass. Apparently, Apple (or more likely Foxconn) is shipping these products so quickly that the evaporation process is not complete. However, after one or two days of use, especially with the screen on, will complete the evaporation process and the yellow "blotches" will disappear.

Picked up my iphone today, took me a good hour before i noticed i had a yellow blotch in the lower left of the screen, about where the left of the unlock slider is. Read this, pumped up my brightness to max, and continued to use it, it appears to fading down already, admittedly mine was fairly small in the first place in comparison to some i have seen, but this solution at least appears to be working for now.

Hope this helps.
post #149 of 190
Quote:

Are you using a single photo to draw conclusions about every iPhone 4 in Japan?

So how long did the pictured guy hold it by the antenna before the pic was snapped? You don't know? How many bars were there 30 seconds after the picture was snapped? You don't know?

Is it safe to use unreliable evidence to draw universal conclusions?

Or am I missing something?

No dude, didn't mean to say all iPhones in Japan doesn't have issues. I'm just saying not everyone has this problem... I sure don't... And none of the people I know personally who got their iPhone 4s have a problem...

I still think they got a bad shipment of iPhone 4s. That's why the major news agencies are not reporting this yet until they're sure it's truly a widespread problem. After today and more and more are reporting issues, I'm sure CNN, AP, FOX, etc would be reporting it. I guess we'll find for sure when more and more people get their iPhones today.
post #150 of 190
What is the mystery here folks? If you block the antennas of course signal will go down. How is this a software issue? It is a hardware issue!!!! Still not buying this thing...
post #151 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) You're now crossing into irrational troll territory. If I didn't know you here for so long and like your mockups I probably wouldn't have questioned your "sky is falling" comments here.

2) Enough with the #5 font and all caps. Calm down and express your concerned in a mature manner and you're more likely to be taken seriously and get some real answers.

LOL!!!

Ireland the troll. We know what to do.

1: Label him as a Techstud alias.

2: Tag every post he makes as troll to mods.

3: PM every poster here to place Ireland on their ignore list.

4: Create a on line poll to force a IP ban.

5: Create signature with "My ignore list: Ireland" in red.

6: Disagree, argue, name call and troll Ireland in every post he makes.

7: Coordinate with Solipsism via PM on attacking Ireland.

Will we tolerate honest opinions about Apple products and services, free from the Reality Distortion Field? HELL NO!!

If you don't have something good to say about Apple, then your a troll.

Welcome to the club Ireland!!!

LOL!!!
post #152 of 190
my yellow appears to be going away
Get a matte screen cover and quit whining...glossy displays rock.
Get a matte screen cover and quit whining...glossy displays rock.
post #153 of 190
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvH-i7rKPJc

It remains to be seen if Apple can use software to effect this interference that is caused when a connection is made between both parts of antenna. So it could be a software "to" hardware issue. Right now though, things are not looking good. It comes off a hardware issue, we can only hope it's not a simply as that. It can clearly be demonstrated on the hardware level, the hope is it can be fixed on a firmware level. It's not looking good.
post #154 of 190
Quote:

Fair enough. It seems unlikely though, that Apple would release a known defective design under any circumstances.

Very unlikely. But they may have felt forced to ship it, knowing it could use more testing or that the older design would require less testing.

In the end, it was Apple's call. The leaks may simply have pressured them to go with certain decisions over others. I am sure they will resolve these two issues (yellow and bars) readily. In fact, it sounds like the yellow spots are already working themselves out.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #155 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Yellow tint on the bottom of the screen. Geez just like MacBook screens for the last few years. What the crap is Apple doing to its screens. Netbooks costing $300 have better screens without tints. I had this on my MacBook Pro, the first unit. Got it replaced and the new one doesn't have it fortunately. I don't know if it's LED related or what but tinted screens are not cool.

Apple has been choosing bargain basement PC parts for quite some time now, the shame is people are paying for quality and not getting it anymore.

With all the security issues lately, Safari, WebKit, iOS numbering over 100 exploits in the last two patches alone, AT&T security issues, etc. The App Store lockdown, the closed machines, Flash-less, crippled iPads etc.

I'm not seeing a good enough reason to pay thousands for a laptop from Apple when a Ubuntu Linux laptop would cost a few hundred and provide excellent security for all my netbook needs.

The new Ubuntu release is excellent, any Mac user could use it fast. Tons of free software, Flash and Firefox is a great browser.
post #156 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

iPhone 4 users in Japan doesn't seem to have reception/antenna issues while holding it. Looks full bar to me...

I THINK THOSE WHO GOT iPHONES ACTION PACKED WITH ISSUES JUST GOT THE BAD BATCH OF iPHONES. Mine doesn't have any of the issues some people seem to have.

I see the yellow blotch. It's on the guys teeth.
post #157 of 190
I just watch a video that proves there is a defect with all iPhone 4s. All the guy did was walk into a Farraday cage and the signal dropped. WTF Apple¡
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #158 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I just watch a video that proves there is a defect with all iPhone 4s. All the guy did was walk into a Farraday cage and the signal dropped. WTF Apple¡

That's awful trollish of you.
post #159 of 190
Quote:

We need more of post like this. Great job!
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #160 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Apple has been choosing bargain basement PC parts for quite some time now, the shame is people are paying for quality and not getting it anymore.

With all the security issues lately, Safari, WebKit, iOS numbering over 100 exploits in the last two patches alone, AT&T security issues, etc. The App Store lockdown, the closed machines, Flash-less, crippled iPads etc.

I'm not seeing a good enough reason to pay thousands for a laptop from Apple when a Ubuntu Linux laptop would cost a few hundred and provide excellent security for all my netbook needs.

The new Ubuntu release is excellent, any Mac user could use it fast. Tons of free software, Flash and Firefox is a great browser.

You're citing lack of Flash and Firefox as a reason for not buying an MacBook?

Not only is that ridiculous, but you're kind of off topic for this thread, aren't you?

From the reports of users with the yellow screen, it does sound like the glue/adhesive could be the culprit. That's good news.

As for the antenna issue... I'd be curious to know how many units this affects. My guess is only a couple of production runs. But that's a guess.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Some early iPhone 4 shipments have defective screens, missing bars