or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple debuts iPhone 4 to sprawling lines, lengthy waits

Apple debuts iPhone 4 to sprawling lines, lengthy waits - Page 2

post #41 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Here's the line at Memorial City Mall in Houston. I was there at 3:30 AM. About 100 or so people were there already.

image: http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/a...8/a84e9329.jpg

That is not an iPhone 4 camera. lol
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #42 of 83
Apple Store Line 14th Street NYC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGNs6kvadws
post #43 of 83
I stopped by the Apple store at Town Square in Las Vegas at 6am to pick up a preorder. There were about 500 people in line for the non-preordered purchases, which I expected.

But I was pretty surprised to see a line of at least 400 people for the preorder pickup. I can't really comprehend why that many people would line up (and camp out, in many cases) for something that is guaranteed for pickup by close of business today. Sure there's going to be a few people that do it for fun, but that many??

And considering there are three Apple stores on a 4-mile stretch of street, I can only imagine what this would have been like if we still only had one.

We turned around and left, and will hopefully suffer much less time in line this evening.
post #44 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelesler View Post

I waited at the Louisville, KY store for ~2+ hours, they had two lines, one for reserve, one for pick ups. However, the Apple store personnel didn't look like they had their crap together, were too busy showing off, and it was taking forever. They were only taking about 5 people at a time in the store.

I was there too, waited only 40 minutes before I discovered that the massive line wasn't being separated into reservations and hopefuls until it actually reached the store. What's the point of making a reservation if I have to wait 6 hours with everyone who is hoping to get lucky?

It was also at that point that I decided that it's just a phone and I would rather wait 3 weeks to get it in the mail while i live my life than wait in that line.

I also think the staff at the Louisville Apple Store may need some (re)training. When the iPad was released, I tried to go in there on it's launch day to purchase something completely unrelated, and the sales person had to check with the manager to see if I could come in the store since I wasn't planning to buy an iPad,
post #45 of 83
Yikes.... This guy dropped it on accident today and busted the whole back. Sounds like they might have to give away those ugly bumpers for free to keep their warranty allocation forecast close to actual.

http://gizmodo.com/5571658/first-iph...-one+foot-drop
post #46 of 83
Maybe I'm just too impatient a person, but I won't stand in a long line for anything. There's nothing wrong with my iPhone 3G. I waited to buy that phone until there was a day when I could walk into an Apple store and pick it up without waiting. I intend to do exactly the same thing for the iPhone 4. If that's a month from now or two months from now, no biggie.

Even if they were giving away the phone for free, I wouldn't have stood in a long line. Just not worth my time and the boredom of standing in line.

I think many of these people who absolutely have to have the phone (or anything) on the first day of release had parents who never denied them anything and always stopped what they were doing whenever the spoiled little brat let out a little cry. In my lifetime, we've had beatniks, hippies, yuppies, the "me" generation, generation X and generation Y. I think this generation is "generation i".

But...this is all good for Apple and it doesn't do anyone any harm. But if people put as much energy into education or political action or into community groups or volunteering for a non-profit, we'd all be much better off. Instead we're obsessed with a freaking piece of hardware made in China by underpaid workers. People can't put their phones (of any brand) down for more than five minutes at a time and we're all connected. We've become the Borg.
post #47 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

For those of you wondering why we would stand in line, I suspect most are like me. They couldn't get the 'ship' option to respond. I finally gave up and selected the 'pick-up' option.

Bingo. I'm at the Fair Oaks location in VA and they have an overflow line for the pre-order and walk-in lines!

I'm in line to get into the real line. Amazing...
post #48 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

Yikes.... This guy dropped it on accident today and busted the whole back. Sounds like they might have to give away those ugly bumpers for free to keep their warranty allocation forecast close to actual.

http://gizmodo.com/5571658/first-iph...-one+foot-drop

And you actually believe anything Gizmodo writes?

Besides, I don't go to Gizmodo any more. I refuse to support criminals.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #49 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And you actually believe anything Gizmodo writes?

Besides, I don't go to Gizmodo any more. I refuse to support criminals.

You only believe sites that align with your interests?
post #50 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfogviper View Post

And considering there are three Apple stores on a 4-mile stretch of street, I can only imagine what this would have been like if we still only had one.

We turned around and left, and will hopefully suffer much less time in line this evening.

I wouldn't bank on it. The people in line are the ones that could get off work. \

And Town Square? The only outdoor mall Apple store in Vegas? You really are a masochist
post #51 of 83
Quote:

You only believe sites that align with your interests?

That's a pretty cheap shot. The choices aren't just between criminal sites and sites that aren't sleazy. If you are a Gizmodo defender that says more about your lack of character than the OP's character.
post #52 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

That's a pretty cheap shot. The choices aren't just between criminal sites and sites that aren't sleazy. If you are a Gizmodo defender that says more about you lack of character than the OP.

Lack of character because you assume I am a Gizmodo defender? Geesh. It's getting rough around here. Not a Gizmodo defender, but I don't solely believe sites that align with my own beliefs/interests and dismiss others if they present something I don't agree with. I tend to gather information from as many sources and formulate my own opinions.
post #53 of 83
I knew it was too good to be true.

I woke up this morning, checked my App Store app reservation, which I made last week, and, lo and behold, it's no longer there.

I logged into Apple Concierge page for the Apple Store in which I made my reservation as well--gone, GONE.

I am now wary of walking into the Apple Store tonight only to be told to get in the Purchases line, which will definitely be empty as I'm sure non-reserved iPhones will be sold out.

I have the automated e-mail confirming my reservation, but it doesn't have a reference/reservation number or anything else that couldn't be edited in HTML. If it's not showing up in my App Store app or the Concierge page, I'm fucked. Right?
post #54 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

So you're going to wait in line for hours on end instead?

The pre-order line is even longer. Most will have to spend half or a full day before getting their phone. And they pre-ordered. Absolutely nuts.
post #55 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Maybe I'm just too impatient a person, but I won't stand in a long line for anything. There's nothing wrong with my iPhone 3G. I waited to buy that phone until there was a day when I could walk into an Apple store and pick it up without waiting. I intend to do exactly the same thing for the iPhone 4. If that's a month from now or two months from now, no biggie.

Even if they were giving away the phone for free, I wouldn't have stood in a long line. Just not worth my time and the boredom of standing in line.

I think many of these people who absolutely have to have the phone (or anything) on the first day of release had parents who never denied them anything and always stopped what they were doing whenever the spoiled little brat let out a little cry. In my lifetime, we've had beatniks, hippies, yuppies, the "me" generation, generation X and generation Y. I think this generation is "generation i".

But...this is all good for Apple and it doesn't do anyone any harm. But if people put as much energy into education or political action or into community groups or volunteering for a non-profit, we'd all be much better off. Instead we're obsessed with a freaking piece of hardware made in China by underpaid workers. People can't put their phones (of any brand) down for more than five minutes at a time and we're all connected. We've become the Borg.

I agree. I walked away, despite my pre-order. My priorities aren't so screwed that I'll kill a full day waiting in line for this phone.
post #56 of 83
Quote:

I tend to gather information from as many sources and formulate my own opinions.

I fail to understand how the original poster criticizing Gizmodo would automatically cause you to assume he wasn't doing the same?

Whether you are an Apple fan or not, Gizmodo and Gawker are scum and deserve to be shunned. It's not an issue of what they report as much as the sleazy way they conduct themselves.
post #57 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

I agree. I walked away, despite my pre-order. My priorities aren't so screwed that I'll kill a full day waiting in line for this phone.

Nice judgement. Me, got a ton done in line with the wifi connection and a lawn chair, and enjoyed some great conversation. I guess it is all in how you look at it.
post #58 of 83
It's an interesting issue. Folks will complain if they release a crap product, and complain if the release an amazing product but there is high demand.

Anyone really think that Apple should tone down the quality a bit to not have lines?
post #59 of 83
Went to my local O2 store for a sim for my iPhone 4 this morning forgetting it was the launch day, mine arrived yesterday, and the queue was unbelievable. Hundreds of people happily waiting.

I had mine in my hand and nearly got mugged. People were just drooling over it. The guy at the door wouldn't let me in for a sim and said the shop was effectively closed for iPhone 4 upgrades. I was a little peeved but not surprised. There was one guy complaining he only wanted a charger for his Blackberry but the bouncer on the door wasn't having it. I wouldn't care but they only had two staff dealing with the upgrades...on iPhone day!!

Out of desperation i popped into the Vodafone store around the corner expecting the same and it was dead. The guy said he'd had one or two customers in but that was it. He actually had iPhone 4's in stock for both pre-orders and walk in customers.

I ended up getting my sim from them and i'm a long term O2 customer so screw you O2.

Just shows you how people think, linking Apple with a carrier.

Anyway as i went back to my car i diverted past the O2 queue and whispered that Vodafone have then in round the corner. The queue went down pretty quickly LOL

Must have been more than a few opportunist in that line.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #60 of 83
Got in line at 530am at the UTC Apple store (in line for a friend I already had my 4 from yesterday fedex), I was about 125th in line, by 7am there were about 800-900 people in line. Apple employees gave out coffee, pringles, goldfish crackers, apples and oranges, dried fruit snacks and little packages of nuts (not that little actually), they really took care of everyone there.
post #61 of 83
It would be interesting to see some photos of the Apple's vs Microsoft's store fronts today.
APPLE.................................................. .......MICROSOFT
  • Scottsdale, AZ
    Scottsdale Quarter............................................Scottsdale Fashion Square Mll
    15169 North Scottsdale Road...........................7014 E Camelback Road Suite 1288

• San Diego, CA
    7007 Friars Road..............................................7007 Friars Road Suite 324

• Mission Viejo, CA
    936C The Shops at Mission Viejo......................578 The Shops at Mission Viejo

• Lone Tree, CO
    8401 Park Meadows Center Dr..........................8505 Park Meadows Center Dr Suite 2095
post #62 of 83
Oof. I waited 3 and a half hours in line. I arrived an hour before the Apple Store opened, and I'm glad I did.

I got there at 6 AM. By 6:30, the line was insane! It was worth it
post #63 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

It's an interesting issue. Folks will complain if they release a crap product, and complain if the release an amazing product but there is high demand.

Anyone really think that Apple should tone down the quality a bit to not have lines?

That's hardly the only option.
post #64 of 83
I don't know why Apple doesn't allow people to check in-store availability of products from their website; the store employees probably answer hundreds of, "do you have any iPhones/iPads?" phonecalls a day. I'm assuming all stores will be sold out today, but I wonder how long until they get additional stock, considering new online orders don't ship for 3 weeks.
post #65 of 83
I just went to my local Apple store in Knoxville. There were about 200 people still in line at 2 PM.

They were sold out of iP4 bumper cases. That line was moving slow too. Not sure how with all those Apple employees in there but then again that store has always been a bit of a pain to get out when it was empty.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #66 of 83
Good to see Apple can still get 'em mobilized.

Now if only they had someone to talk to with their shiny new telephones.
post #67 of 83
The line this morning in NYC store WOW!! I wonder if everyone will get a phone? They must have a truckload of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeXyw1QI-yY
post #68 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

North Austin's store was out of control line wise, 1000's of folks in line for pre-order.

To that end, the store did a great job. At least 50 employees were there to check everyone out, and they even catered the line with scones and coffee from a local shop. The line was moving nicely, and the people in line were enjoying the time overall.

For the benefit for others, if you have a reservation you can pickup 2 phones, so call your friends and get their info.

Quick question for you, do you have a sense as to whether they were going to sell out today or not? I assume so, but you never know. Any other helpful info for other Austinites who didn't make it to the store yet?
post #69 of 83
I personally thought the process was badly managed. I reserved an iPhone 4 to pick up at an Apple store, but saw dozens of irritated and resigned people sitting and standing in the reservation line.

At about 10AM (after dropping my daughter off at her daycare), I got to the mall where my local Apple store is, in Pleasanton, CA (SF East Bay), and saw the long, snaking line of walk-in hopefuls bunched up around the mall entrance. Then, when I got to the Apple store, I saw the reservation line snaking the other direction. If I had stood in line it would have probably taken me at least 4-6 hours to pick up my phone. If I had known this, it would have been a no brainer to have ordered the phone last week for FedEx delivery.

Apple should have had a second reservation line for people (like me) who just wanted to purchase, quickly activate, and leave the store to set everything up themselves at home. To clump everyone in the same line is a horrendous way to treat those customers who bothered to make a reservation. By the way, I didn't see any coffee or anything being served. In fact, the reservation line was interfering with the foot traffic around kiosk vendors in the walkways, which made things even more uncomfortable for those in the reservation line. Demeaning situation all around.

I left without the phone and had to place an online order -- after the 10-day wait -- because the store reservation process was so badly managed. Deeply disappointed.
post #70 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

I'm on the same page. I took one look at that long reservations line and said to myself, "For a PHONE?!? Nah." Then I went home, had a nice lunch, went to the trusty MBP, placed my online order for the phone, and now I'm kvetching here and ready to get some work done. I'd gladly wait a few weeks while living my life rather than wait in a line watching others pass by.

If I were still in that line, I probably would have seen only 5-10 people getting served. Not judging those who waited in line. I've personally just got a different approach.
post #71 of 83
That's the beauty of living in a small town. I went to AT&T this morning around 8:30, walked in bought a phone without anyone else in line, walked out about 15 minutes later. Love it. They said there would be a line but there wasn't. Guess everybody over slept.
post #72 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

That's the beauty of living in a small town. I went to AT&T this morning around 8:30, walked in bought a phone without anyone else in line, walked out about 15 minutes later. Love it. They said there would be a line but there wasn't. Guess everybody over slept.

Well, AT&T did say pretty clearly that they would have no phones available for walk-ins. And if your town is really small, then maybe the other person who pre-ordered slept in this morning seeing as he or she could get it anytime today.

Yeah, I would agree that the small town angle is a pretty good idea actually. I'll have to remember that for iPhone5.
post #73 of 83
What about 3rd party outlets, Walmart, Radioshack, and Best Buy? Were they able to sell? Know one friend who waited three hours to get her preordered iPhone, she waited in line at the Honolulu Apple Store since 5am, another friend said that the ATT store he reserved posted a sign saying iPhones will be available Tuesday, so I guess that ATT store didn't get any. I will wait till the dust settles and also my wife wants the white one. I fought off the temptation to go open a new line for my business.
"Microsoft was supposed to be the evil one, but now you guys are busting down doors in Palo Alto while Commandant Gates is ridding the world of mosquitoes."
"Microsoft was supposed to be the evil one, but now you guys are busting down doors in Palo Alto while Commandant Gates is ridding the world of mosquitoes."
post #74 of 83
Willow Bend Mall, Plano, TX 6pm

post #75 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by phastmac View Post

What about 3rd party outlets, Walmart, Radioshack, and Best Buy? Were they able to sell? Know one friend who waited three hours to get her preordered iPhone, she waited in line at the Honolulu Apple Store since 5am, another friend said that the ATT store he reserved posted a sign saying iPhones will be available Tuesday, so I guess that ATT store didn't get any. I will wait till the dust settles and also my wife wants the white one. I fought off the temptation to go open a new line for my business.

Stopped at a Radio Shack this morning at 9AM to see how many they sold; only one store in the entire metro area got any stock, and what they got was a grand total of..two iPhones. So basically, Radio Shack didn't have any.
post #76 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I wouldn't bank on it. The people in line are the ones that could get off work. \

And Town Square? The only outdoor mall Apple store in Vegas? You really are a masochist

I just got back in line and of course you're right, my boyfriend should have picked an indoor one. But shopping at Town Square is so much more pleasant normally!

The line is about half what it was this morning, so maybe 150 people in front of me? I'm overhearing people saying they have counted out and cut off the purchases line. They also said restaurants were taking catering orders in line around lunchtime!
post #77 of 83
Well mine took about 6 hours total to obtain, in 100 degree heat and 70% humidity. There were about 700 in front of me so today was just a long day all around. Glad to say that the Apple store provided chips, and iced drinks for the long lines and did their best to keep everyone comfortable.

The screen is flat out amazing on this thing. If you guys get a chance, check out the Tron trailer in the YouTube app. Apparently all of the video's will automatically show the HD version.

Mine seems to be suffering from that weird signal issue when your holding it, but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything other than the bar display. Here's hoping they get a fix for it, and if not, I'll just swap it out when things quiet down.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
post #78 of 83
I have loved Apple but I could not help but feel people were crazy to wait in those kinds of lines... I felt it was crazy considering in a short time, people could have it without hassle. apple should find a better method, this actually turns me off.

Very unfortunate and I have several Apple products
post #79 of 83
My estimate of 150 proved correct when I was finally able to count heads. I've been here 2.5 hours and there are still 40 in front of me. Sounds like other stores were more efficient than this one. It's 845pm and the line still goes back to where I originally started. They're giving out claim checks for people to come back tomorrow.
post #80 of 83
I got to the Santa Monica Apple store at about 6:30 PM, and the reservations line was 2-3 hours long from what I could tell.

I got a reservation so I would not have to stand in line for ever! So I asked if I could come back later, and was told that at 9PM they would lock down the line and not let anyone else get in line. So I could come back before then.

When I got there at 8:40pm, the line had been locked down for while, and they were handing out priority passes for the tomorrow, for those with reservations. WTF, I am starting to hate Apple. The store manger had the audacity to say that due to the overwhelming reception of the iPhone they had more customers than anticipated. Hello, they had their store and day specific reservations list for over a week. They knew EXACTLY how many people would show up for the reservations line. I really hate to get such empty bs lipservice. So insulting, like I am a moron.

It is just SO disappointing that Apple does such BS. We can have long lines for the media circus for those that do not reserve or prepurchase. There is no need to aggravate loyal customers that planned ahead.

I am thinking, at the next stockholders meeting I am going to petition for corporate policy against such customer abusive behavior, it REALLY spoils the magic.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple debuts iPhone 4 to sprawling lines, lengthy waits