or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Some iPhone 4 launch units lose signal when held with left hand

Some iPhone 4 launch units lose signal when held with left hand - Page 10

post #361 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The problem with 'bumpers for all' is I won't be getting one or recommending it. In fact I'd recommend highly against it. Steve Jobs is trying to give his users a big fuck you, and you can either sit and take it or demand better. This is unacceptable.

I enjoy Apple products very much and will continue to be a loyal customer. But as such, I will not be satisfied until this situation is rectified properly, which will not involve rubber bumpers. Those of us that eagerly await the annual launch of each new generation of iPhone and buy them as soon as possible are the very ones that "should" be very well cared for by Apple. As early adopters, we share our experiences with others and the word continues to spread, whether it be good or bad. I feel like we are "the bread and butter customers" for Apple. We will buy newly released products, just because Apple created them. We should be the very customers that Apple wants to look after very carefully.

In this case and at this point, this looks to not be the way things will play out. Instead, a hardware update may come out later that fixes the problems for the customers who buy down the road. Those iPhones will work fine for them without requiring rubber bumpers or a case and can be held any way they so choose. Meanwhile, us early adopters will have our iPhones that won't work without a case. Can you imagine trying to sell it next year, when a potential customer asks you if your iPhone was pre antenna fix or post antenna fix and walking away when you tell them it is a pre antenna fix model. Not good.
post #362 of 446
wouldn't this just be a problem for right handed people who hold the phone in their left hand to touch the screen with their right index finger as appose to left handed people whom hold the phone in their right hand to touch the screen with their left index finger?
post #363 of 446
It's a little odd. Mine was showing this problem for most of the evening (I didn't get a bumper since they only had black), but I went ahead and restarted it and now I can't reproduce it, at least to the extent I was seeing earlier. I'm now seeing it drop around one bar, but nothing too drastic.

Calls don't seem to be affected and WiFi seems pretty stable for speed (1400 kbps down and 35-50 kbps up).

I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't just some weird software glitch.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
post #364 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

If lawyers can prove, which shouldn't be too hard, that Apple knew about the flaw then Apple has already lost a potentially billion dollar case.

Not exactly true. In class actions, the money goes to the law firm bringing the case about. Users generally see next to nothing. Again, if the issue is not addressable using conventional methods, "free" bumpers are the likely outcome, or in more extreme cases of customer dissatisfaction, the phone returned for a full refund with no penalty.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #365 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

over at macrumors, they have posted an email from SJ about the issue and according to him this is an non-issue, and if you have a problem, buy a case, or hold the phone differently.

So, I would assume that, if the email is real (and there are claims of verification), then no fix will be coming because there is no problem to be fixed.

This is what steve said in an interview with USA today:

"Q: What do you say to customers who just bought a new iPhone for $599? Sorry?

A: That's technology. If they bought it this morning, they should go back to where they bought it and talk to them. If they bought it a month ago, well, that's what happens in technology."

Essentially, he said lump it on September 5.

On September 6 he has an open letter that says:

"we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store.
We want to do the right thing for our valued iPhone customers. We apologize for disappointing some of you, and we are doing our best to live up to your high expectations of Apple"

Given this issue is more serious than folks whining that Apple lowered prices do folks really believe that Apple won't do something? $60M is a lot of money but Apple has what? $23B in cash?

If the problem is widespread, and it might be, then Apple will respond in a way to keep its reputation intact. It's worth a lot more than $60M. There isn't likely to be an open letter again but there have been "the sky is falling" problems with Apple gear that blew over because Apple replaced the defective units and made good.

If they don't...well folks should have locked in some of their profit on Apple stock and someone else becomes the darling of the tech world. But do folks really believe that Steve Jobs is stupid?
post #366 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

It's a little odd. Mine was showing this problem for most of the evening (I didn't get a bumper since they only had black), but I went ahead and restarted it and now I can't reproduce it, at least to the extent I was seeing earlier. I'm now seeing it drop around one bar, but nothing too drastic.

Calls don't seem to be affected and WiFi seems pretty stable for speed (1400 kbps down and 35-50 kbps up).

Boy, wouldn't that be a relief.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #367 of 446
A MacRumors poster whom Jobs initially emailed called into Apple Tech Support to just tell them about the issue.

Quote:
They offered up a free bumper for my troubles.

But here's the "kicker." Before they send me my free bumper - they are requesting I sign something legal (not sure what it is yet as it's going to be emailed to me in the next 24-48 hours) that I would need to sign..

Now - I have no idea what's in the paperwork. And nothing against Apple who is at least trying to do something. But I don't think I'm inclined to accept their free gift if it means signing away any ability to take other recourse if in the future there's a recall/suit/etc.

Perhaps paranoid - but I would imagine the paperwork to be signed says something to the effect that the matter has been "resolved." as far as both parties are concerned.

Will let you know when I get the email/document.

And the hits just keep on comin'!
post #368 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by anwerman View Post

I've decided not to read the entire thread, I just wanted to let some of you folks know what the problem most likely is and to let you know that it isn't the major disaster most are making it out to be.

Physics dictates that you don't want to complete a circuit with your own body to make something work. You also don't want your to be body part of a circuit if it will work perfectly fine without you.

The easiest way to prevent this problem from happening is to coat the stainless steel with some thin poly coating as part of the manufacturing process. My guess is, that was what Apple intended (and probably did with the vast majority of those manufactured) but (and for those who have ever worked in a factory, you know this sometimes happens, no matter how good your processes) somebody mixed up coated parts with uncoated parts. I don't know if this was a few boxes or most of the first run shipments, but it's a problem easily corrected with future manufacturing.

Obviously those who got uncoated antennas will have to put a bumper on it or return it (and I feel your pain) but the problem will go away very quickly.

I doubt it's a software problem if it only happens physically with some of the iPhones. Either way, Apple will receive a minor black eye with this one as it will dull some of the excitement for early buyers.

If the yellow screens go away with usage as predicted (the glue merely has to dry) no one will much care about this news a couple of weeks from now.

A simple test would be to check the continuity of the band. If it is coated, there will be no conductivity. Would someone please do this. Just be careful to not press to hard with the probes.
go with the flow
go with the flow
post #369 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosqutus View Post

wouldn't this just be a problem for right handed people who hold the phone in their left hand to touch the screen with their right index finger as appose to left handed people whom hold the phone in their right hand to touch the screen with their left index finger?

My iPhone will go down to 1 bar even when trying to hold it "Steve's way". Just when cradling the phone and only touching the two sides around the upper or midway down part of the phone, I loose most of my signal bars. I have had dropped calls to everyone I have talked to with it. I have not had a single successful phone call with it so far.

I can replicate this all around town. However, I could not replicate it for the AT&T representative. He informed me that they have incredible signal strength at their store. (Makes sense, since they want to impress customers.) This makes one hypothesize if all iPhone 4's probably have the same antenna issue, but some people may not be able to replicate the issue if they are trying to do so in an area with incredible signal strength.
post #370 of 446
PC World is stating a 50% decrease in d/l speeds.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #371 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I was able to do it a couple times this morning but not since without trying really really hard. As in cupping the whole bottom, pressing really firmly and even using a penny I lose only 2 bars.

That's with wifi being used and BT on (but not paired).
post #372 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosqutus View Post

Left handed people put the phone in their left hand to make calls. Like me. This is where the problem. They should have broke the antennas on the bottom to reduce the chance of touching the bands.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #373 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Left handed people put the phone in their left hand to make calls. Like me. This is where the problem. They should have broke the antennas on the bottom to reduce the chance of touching the bands.

But don't right-handed people hold the phone in the left hand while dialing? I think either way, it's a little insane to have not had this issue brought up prior to manufacture. Could it be that the engineers are being ignored/overruled in favor of aesthetics... even if it results in a faulty product?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #374 of 446
"can call if you want but you're not gonna reach my telephone, my telephone, my tele.."

The should really use Gaga's song to promote the phone
post #375 of 446
Reading through these comments has been a riot- really. That said, I think I have some good news on how the Company is going to handle the situation... I do this kind of thing for a living

Before the end of business (EST) on Friday, a statement to all customers with existing orders as well as those who have already purchased will be sent via email. It will begin restating much of what was already explained in the brief Company statement released Thursday evening- that all phones on the market today are susceptible to reception interference based on the manner in which the user holds the device relative to the built in antennae. The statement will then go on to explain that while the latest design of Apple's iPhone has proven to have the best reception of any model released to date, Apple understands that *some* customers may experience issues more than others. With that in mind, Apple is happy to offer these customers a complimentary case OR the customer has the option of returning the iPhone within 30 days of purchase for a full refund and release of contract with AT&T. Apple understands the high expectations of it's customers and appreciates the feedback as it continues to develop state of the art products.
post #376 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Not exactly true. In class actions, the money goes to the law firm bringing the case about. Users generally see next to nothing. Again, if the issue is not addressable using conventional methods, "free" bumpers are the likely outcome, or in more extreme cases of customer dissatisfaction, the phone returned for a full refund with no penalty.

I'm not a lawyer so I can't speak with great knowledge so you may be right but the more extreme cases seems more likely especially if plaintiffs are willing to use up their time joining this suit though a court could, as you said, just rule to hand out bumpers.

The reason I think Apple could potentially lose a billion dollars is that the flaw will be so widespread (because of the high volume of sales) that there will be more than one of these class-action suits in more than one country. I never thought the plaintiffs would ever make any serious cash on this as it's the lawyers who always win; even if they lose.
post #377 of 446
I can hold my Evo any way (with no rubber bumper) and it makes a call with a great 3G signal. Great 4G signal here in Chicago too for data. Haven't charged it since last night. :-) Commence flaming.........now.
post #378 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldFriend View Post

Reading through these comments has been a riot- really. That said, I think I have some good news on how the Company is going to handle the situation... I do this kind of thing for a living

Before the end of business (EST) on Friday, a statement to all customers with existing orders as well as those who have already purchased will be sent via email. It will begin restating much of what was already explained in the brief Company statement released Thursday evening- that all phones on the market today are susceptible to reception interference based on the manner in which the user holds the device relative to the built in antennae. The statement will then go on to explain that while the latest design of Apple's iPhone has proven to have the best reception of any model released to date, Apple understands that *some* customers may experience issues more than others. With that in mind, Apple is happy to offer these customers a complimentary case OR the customer has the option of returning the iPhone within 30 days of purchase for a full refund and release of contract with AT&T. Apple understands the high expectations of it's customers and appreciates the feedback as it continues to develop state of the art products.

Heh...I'd rather have a $100.

For folks that feel the aesthetics of the phone would be destroyed by the case they could try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Skinomi-TechSk...7439166&sr=1-1

The film should be enough to stop the skin conductance and you can just use the two thin side pieces. I don't like the feel of the skins on the touchscreen itself but around the bezel is probably okay and makes them a little grippier.

Hard to see if the strips have the right cut outs but hopefully it does or someone will make it given this issue.
post #379 of 446
This is very unfortunate, and confusing.

While I am glad I waited to buy, I still feel slighted by SJs reply on this. Yes, it may change, but him saying this is very disappointing.

If all customers were having this issue, then I could at least see his answer being accurate. But since many users aren't effected it seems like it HAS to be either a software glitch that some have, or a manufacturing error in which some phones did not get the proper anti-conduction coating on the antenna band.

I just don't understand any of this. Maybe because I am not an engineer or electronics guru, but it doesn't make sense for some to have the problem and not others. If everyone holds the phone incorrectly, then everyone should have the same lack of signal, but this is not the case somehow.

Is this a bad dream?
post #380 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldFriend View Post

That sounds about right. It would be the same kind of lame PR speak that could potentially resolve the issue for *some* customers. For others, it won't. Those bumpers ruin the look of the device and its initial appeal.
post #381 of 446
Yep. The left hand reception problem happens on my iphone4. You have to hold it a little while before it degrades. But it inevitably does.
post #382 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdog View Post

So forgetting the diminished bars, how does iphone 4 do as far as making calls, clarity, sending and receiving texts and emails on the 3 g network? There must be a lot of people switching from the 3gs unit. I have barely heard mention of how the new phone compares in any of these aspects. Is the new phone better or worse?

I reserved my iPhone 4 for pick up at my local Apple Store (Richmond, VA). I got there at 5:45 this morning and was still about 80th in the Reservation line! While waiting for the grand opening, I read a lot about the issues with diminishing bars, lost signals, dropped calls, and yellow spots on screens. I was seriously starting to get worried. One of the Apple reps confirming reservations in the line assured me that they hadn't noticed any problems with any of their display units.

Once I got inside, unveiled my iPhone 4, and got it activated, I immediately started scrutinizing the screen. I thought I might have seen some discoloration, but I wasn't sure. I rebooted the iPhone just to be sure (something I'd read mentioned that rebooting resolved the issue). Either rebooting solved the problem or I had only seen what I'd been spooked into seeing, because I haven't noticed any discoloration since (if it was ever there to begin with)!

My iPhone 4 is PERFECT!

Bars fluctuate, but that was true of my other iPhones as well (still have the original and my 3G). Richmond, VA is pretty well-covered by AT&T, so dropped calls haven't been an issue for a while (since iPhone OS 2.0.2 and a new cell tower went up near my house about a year ago).

My iPhone 3G was barely able to run iOS 4, and even before upgrading it would struggle to a crawl and crash with some of my apps. My iPhone 4 screams! It's ridiculously fast at everything! iOS 4 is simply stunning. Rock solid. Smooth. Polished. Incredibly well thought out.

I've had no dropped calls. My Jawbone bluetooth actually stays paired with the iPhone 4 consistently, whereas it would routinely lose connection with my iPhone 3G. Email, web browsing, texting is all effortless and beautiful because everything appears so razor sharp!

Though I like the industrial look of the bare iPhone 4, I did buy a Bumper. I'm part of the "gotta have a case" crowd and already intended to get a black Bumper, but after reading about the possible antennae/reception issue, getting a Bumper just made sense. I like understated cases anyway, so Apple's minimalist black Bumper is right up my alley: stylish and functional.

Even with the Bumper installed, my iPhone 4 is still dramatically thinner than my iPhone 3G (in its InCase case). Being flat on both sides, the iPhone 4 feels a little unfamiliar in the hand. But the velvety feel of the glass, the beautiful clarity of the Retina Display, and the silky responsiveness of iOS 4 just immediately draws me in!

The iPhone 4 just gorgeous! I'm so glad I avoided the iPhone 3GS. It's a fine iPhone I'm sure (certainly more capable than my iPhone 3G), but the iPhone 4 sets a new standard for smartphones in the same way Avatar set a new standard for sci-fi F/X movies.

iPhone 4 is amazing! And I've got one! FTW!!

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

post #383 of 446
Rubber bumper solves the problem, however it does ruin the 'sleekness' and 'feel' of the phone. Lets see how Apple handles this
post #384 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

So purchase a friggin' Bumper and "problem" solved!
Seriously.... how did some of you manage to get this far in life?

By not getting cheated.
post #385 of 446
My buddy bought a iphone 4. I have a 3gs.

as a phone the 3gs and iphone 4 seem the exact same in speed as far as running apps etc. 0 difference.

The picture quality on the iphone 4 is phenomenal compared to the 3gs. I was really suprised but his screen you could not see a pixel period no matter how hard you tried. now Im not really a phone expert but compared to the 3gs at least.. quite impressive and highly noticable. I didn't realize my screen sucked before.. now Im noticing how much it does comparitivly...

His phone was totally sporadic with signal.. just sitting in one place he would lose it. get 5 bars.. slowly drop down to none etc... Im on another carrier so I couldn't tell you how my phone would have compared in that respect.. with my carrier I get 5 bars all the time.

The last thing I noticed is I did not like the way it felt in my hand. too boxy er rectangly... The 3gs fits comfortably .. his phone not so comfortably. maybe just takes time to get used too.
post #386 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by dksmidtx View Post

I think this may be in the OS - I upgraded my 3Gs to iOS4, and now it shows fewer bars (sometimes only 1) in several rooms of my house and at the office, but can still receive/send calls. The bars also randomly decrease and increase without moving locations (or switching hands - ha ha). Anyone else with 3Gs seeing this?

Nope, iPhone 3GS on iOS4 seems good so far. Except for (to me) the weird design of how multitasking works.

Quote:

...saddened...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobility View Post

Well then, Ireland, don't buy it. Let someone else have the piece you are so desperately craving. I'll continue to enjoy my better than 3GS call quality.

It's just saddening. It's hard to describe. People like Ireland and myself, we've been on this Apple train for a long time before the iPhone sent Apple up into the stratosphere. My MacBook Aluminium has had some issues which has taken weeks to resolve, the iPhone4 was supposed to be fantastic but now may have some issue, lack of iPads to go around. I'm not hatin' just sayin'... It's a funny feeling... Like you want to fly with all the Apple goodness but sometimes the reality bites you and drags you to the ground.
post #387 of 446
Quote:

Worse, if you hold it wrong. lol

It depends on the signal strength. Using Speed Test, I got the same data rate no matter how I held the phone in a strong signal strength area. At home, my signal strength is less so I can see more variation in the bars indication. However, I actually got a faster download speed by holding the iPhone "wrong". At home, I see the bars go from full to one, all without touching the iPhone. If you are on the edge, you'll get poor reception, just like any other wireless phone. Small changes may make a noticeable difference in a weak RF field.
post #388 of 446
http://gizmodo.com/5572279/apples-ac...d-it-like-that

Seems like a strange response from apple... legit?
post #389 of 446
dbl post
post #390 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

...As I've stated ad nauseum there will be bad units as this is CE, but to claim that this is a design flaw and troll forums, even ones not relating to the issue, trying to incite readers is complete BS. But he seems to like to get all wound up for no reason as I recall he did the same thing about the Magic Mouse.

I'm trying not to get emotionally worked up... That's my personal "design flaw". That said, this issue needs clarification, for sure. As for the Magic Mouse, I have to say it looks great, but aside from cosmetics it just doesn't do it for me. The tracking is weird, it's not like a reasonable-quality Logitech. Secondly, you still have to lift up your finger on the left side to right-click with another finger on the right side. Ordinary mice with those detestable (to Apple) buttons and seams, well, I can right-click while having as many fingers as I want on the mouse. I can't get swipe working either. Anyways, Magic Mouse is straying off topic.

End of the day, let's try to stay focused. Anyway solipsism we'll need some sort of balance through your postings, so appreciate you hanging around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

A thought just occurred to me: How embarrassing would it be for someone to start up a phone call right after buying one of these then have the call dropped as your walking out the door in front of all the other suckers in line for this thing. How pissed would you be? Would you say oh well and keep walking, or would you say oh hell no lol

Man, I would be shocked. Emotional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Oh, also that it will take a hell of a lot longer than "several weeks" to "roll a new hardware revision". Testing the solution must be robust, and the FCC may need to do a re-qualifying process (not sure about the latter). Regardless, the internal testing will be robust, and meanwhile, several weeks worth of inventory is churning through the factories now. They will sell those down and offer free bumpers.

I would find it absolutely infuriating that Apple pride themselves on such brilliant, obsessive design quality, and then, oops, bumpers for everyone! Too bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

I took mine out to test this in various locations, but I seem to have lost it. Last time I saw it, I had it in a bar near Redwood City. Anyone had any problems in that location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuzz View Post

I dunno, which bar?

LOL yeah... was it a German bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

You don't have any way to know that. Not whether it will be minor, major, or otherwise. There are not enough facts yet.

There are definitely not enough facts yet. This definitely smacks of the "Apple is d00med" hype alongside every major product launch. But there may be a real issue that needs to be solved somehow. It is not inconceivable that Apple in trying to fulfill demand, and with their focus so strongly on design and software, may have missed something in hardware testing and manufacturing QA. That said, clearly the issue is not affecting everyone. Which is good for being able to isolate the issue. You can compare two phones.
post #391 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

It depends on the signal strength. Using Speed Test, I got the same data rate no matter how I held the phone in a strong signal strength area. At home, my signal strength is less so I can see more variation in the bars indication. However, I actually got a faster download speed by holding the iPhone "wrong". At home, I see the bars go from full to one, all without touching the iPhone. If you are on the edge, you'll get poor reception, just like any other wireless phone. Small changes may make a noticeable difference in a weak RF field.

Yes, I just got 3.9 mbps down and 567 kbps up holding it in my left hand. Cupping the whole thing to drop 2 bars and I got 3.5 mbps down and 573 kbps up.

That's not too bad given that the Evo was seen doing 3.5Mbps in Philly.

"but we were never able to record anything faster than 3,500 kbps using two speed tests: the FCC Broadband Test and Ookla's Speed Test (both are available as free downloads from the Android Market)."

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...tery-life.html

"The speed tests I ran regularly during my stay in Philadelphia all hovered around the 3Mb down/1Mb up mark. "

http://www.neowin.net/news/review-htc-evo-4g

maybe philly sucks or something.

Here's a screencap (click for readable size):

Amusingly that bad run was with 5 bars holding it righty.
post #392 of 446
Where I live, Speedtest normally yields very roughly 1.6M down and 0.5M up.

As soon as I invoke the iPhone 4 death grip (more like a touch), the transfer speed dives. If I invoke the death grip before starting the test, Speedtest sits forever at the ping test. As soon as I release, the test moves along and the reported ping time is roughly the length of time I held the death grip.
post #393 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Yes, I just got 3.9 mbps down and 567 kbps up holding it in my left hand. Cupping the whole thing to drop 2 bars and I got 3.5 mbps down and 573 kbps up.

I got 2800 kbps here in Orange County, CA. Didn't matter how I held the phone in a solid 5 bars area.
post #394 of 446
Quote:

A MacRumors poster whom Jobs initially emailed called into Apple Tech Support to just tell them about the issue.

And the hits just keep on comin'!

The unfortunate dark side of Apple. The only company who can beat apple is themselves.
post #395 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

This is where you call Apple to get a new phone,
that has the coating on the antenna band,
that prevents the contact,
that diminishes the signal,
that drops the call,
that makes you sad

Now everybody, second verse...same as the first

Sing it with a little jiggedy jig... Come on, y'all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

lol i just saw a comment on a youtube vid that said this was a special treat from the dead foxconn employees
ah, the internet.

Damn, there is definitely no accounting for taste with YouTube comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athyna.sc View Post

Like I said in my other post... I tried to replicate this iPhone4 issue on the iPhone 3gs..and it does it on the 3GS too....so it can't all be because of the new antenna design...because the 3gs is shielded is it not..both phones..if u cover the bottom left corner...of the phone with your palm as illustrated, you still get the reduction of bars. I do not know where the antenna in the 3gs is..all I did was tried the same thing i did on the iPhone4 ...on the iPhone 3gs.

PLEASE, SOMEONE ELSE TRY IT AND TELL ME THE RESULT!

NOPE I GOT NO PROBLEMS WITH THE IPHONE3GS. Which ever way I hold it. The antenna in the 3GS is the entire chrome bezel, AFAIK.

Quote:

This. Is. Disgraceful.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/a...re-holding-th/

If it is real, IF, well, let's just say my perception of Apple changes ever yet further.
post #396 of 446
I tested the "signal death grip" with my iPhone 3gs and it also has the same issue with the iPhone 4.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmXpGGrB_hg
The interesting thing though is that even though the phone has no signal at all
when I make a call the signal goes back up even though I still hold it with the "signal death grip"!!
If I let go of the grip the signal goes back up even further.
So I don't really know what to think but maybe it's a software issue after all?
post #397 of 446
<-----is kind of glad she decided to wait until the dust settled.....

Still enjoying my 3GS which works perfectly. I'll wait until this is fixed and I can hold my phone any way I see fit.
post #398 of 446
Whatever it is it's not a design flaw. It happened to 3G and 3GS as well and it didn't happen to every 4s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zehL4z__G-o

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=950228
post #399 of 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Whatever it is it's not a design flaw. It happened to 3G and 3GS as well and it didn't happen to every 4s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zehL4z__G-o

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=950228

Many phones have this trouble. With the iPhone 4 that problem has been exacerbated. You can now consistently go from 5 bars to no service because you are directly interfering the antenna. You no longer even have to hold the iPhone. You just have to have your finger covering that area.
post #400 of 446
Quote:

Many phones have this trouble. With the iPhone 4 that problem has been exacerbated. You can now consistently go from 5 bars to no service because you are directly interfering the antenna. You no longer even have to hold the iPhone. You just have to have your finger covering that area.

It's a problem for some but not all of 4s affected, hence not a design flaw like some suggested in this thread. Maybe it's not all hardware's.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Some iPhone 4 launch units lose signal when held with left hand