or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple says any mobile phone has reception issues when held wrong

Apple says any mobile phone has reception issues when held wrong - Page 2

post #41 of 444
What a blunder!

When I was an art director, I often had to keep designers in check. They fall so in love with their beautiful designs they forget about function.

If you can't hold the phone any way you wish, then it is a bad design. It might be a shocker to some in Cupertino, but this is not a museum piece.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #42 of 444
I really have to wonder how many of the people that are whining about this issue actually have the new iPhone.

There's a big possibility that this issue has gone viral and it's the in thing at the moment to gripe about Apple.

As an example... I noticed that the main whiners on this forum are the regular bitch and moan crowd. Do you really have the new iPhone? Really?

I'd like to see some statistics regarding user satisfaction.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #43 of 444
This reminds me of the puck mouse. Looked pretty, but the cursor would shoot off at crazy angles all the time if you were not holding it just right. So it looked pretty but was basically useless as a mouse.
post #44 of 444
As with my previous 3G iPhone which took me several swap-outs to find one that worked, I seem to be experiencing the same issues. My new iPhone4 has poor reception to the extent of many dropped calls regardless of how it is held. These dropped calls are from the same location I've been making calls for the past 3 years. It appears that I am just an unlucky soul who has a bum device which needs to be replaced.
post #45 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Apple should just start giving away those ugly bumper covers as a workaround for this problem. $29 is way, way too expensive. They can't cost them more than a buck or two in make. Of course, they do ruin the look of the phone.

I agree! I don't know about anyone else but I do consider this antenna issue to a major design flaw of the iPhone 4. I remember the big applause Steve Jobs got when he highlighted the new design during his keynote. Apple definitely needs to include a free bumper case with all iPhone purchases. Steve Jobs should be embarrassed about this. I know we'll be hearing more from the Apple haters. I hate giving them something legitimate to complain about. I wonder how long it will be until Droid airs a commercial about their "perfect" antenna??
post #46 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

If it ain't broke, then don't fix it, BUT if it is broke, then please do fix it, and stop coming up with excuses!

Apple … you aren't perfect, that's ok, but be big enough to admit it when you have made a mistake, and fix it.

They aren't admitting their mistake because they didn't make one. All cell phones have potential issues with how you hold them.

And the fact that there's not 100% reports of this 'mistake' shows that it's not all about the design. Some of it could be user error. Some of it could also just be shitty ATT coverage in the area. In fact several of the folks that I saw making reports of this 'major design flaw' admitted that they 'have never had great ATT service in the area'. Well geez Beav could that be the issue and not the phone at all. perhaps.

Apple can not be responsible for those that put a hand right over the antennas, after they told folks that that's what the band is. they can't be responsible for those that drop or lose their phones or get them wet etc. No more than any other company. If this was an Android, Rim etc we wouldn't be hearing about it. Because it's Apple all 'flaws' are suddenly a huge thing.

Perhaps the mistake they need to correct is this media obsession with painting them as perfect so then folks will stop with the expectations.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #47 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is turning into a very ugly product introduction and it really exposes a fundamental flaw at Apple concerning real-world testing... they simply don't know how to do it!

right, all the testing Apple did probably sported a fake case to disguise the Iphone 4 prototype. So they missed all the antenna problems completely.

this is a big issue and it makes me happy i don't have an iphone 4 yet. of course i want one and will use a case if i do get it. but this is a pretty sizable design flaw.

no matter the publicity drones and social networking spin maestros at work no doubt.
post #48 of 444
[QUOTE=Ireland;1661 [/QUOTE]
your a bigger jerk than teck stud ever was
crawl back in your wintel whole dude

apple is doomed

oddly your screen shots came into my apple devices at such a high res i feel apple has done no wrong at all

yes ATT has shit reception in nyc sanfran dallas
99000 posts ago we knew that
i will not buy an iphone until verizon gets on board or apple becomes the gatekeeper for me

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #49 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

EVERY cellphone does that! "Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance"

You are wrong. And so is Steve Jobs. With my Verizon phone I can wrap my entire hand around the case and never lose a bar. It's sort of sad to hear Jobs making excuses for this obvious design flaw. Nevertheless, I am still hoping for a Verizon iPhone this fall....hopefully, with a new and improved antenna.
post #50 of 444
Didn't one of the video adds or the keynote say this kind of antenna had never been done before?

now you know why...

well really I am sure it has been done before actually. Hope to god they sort this out, not because I care about apple's stock price but I actually like the phone.
post #51 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

You are wrong. I've owned a lot of cellphones over the years and this is different.

His entire post was sarcasm. He knows this iPhone 4 has a big issue.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #52 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They aren't admitting their mistake because they didn't make one. All cell phones have potential issues with how you hold them.

You're right! My old RAZR does this too! If I sit on it. There's a difference between "some attenuation" from "gripping" and total loss of signal from normal holding.
post #53 of 444
Quote:

And the fact that there's not 100% reports of this 'mistake' shows that it's not all about the design. Some of it could be user error. Some of it could also just be shitty ATT coverage in the area. In fact several of the folks that I saw making reports of this 'major design flaw' admitted that they 'have never had great ATT service in the area'. Well geez Beav could that be the issue and not the phone at all. perhaps.

Apple can not be responsible for those that put a hand right over the antennas, after they told folks that that's what the band is. they can't be responsible for those that drop or lose their phones or get them wet etc. No more than any other company. If this was an Android, Rim etc we wouldn't be hearing about it. Because it's Apple all 'flaws' are suddenly a huge thing.

Perhaps the mistake they need to correct is this media obsession with painting them as perfect so then folks will stop with the expectations.

no no no
this is an iphone 4 centric issue
holding the device in the left hand in a certain way blocks the signal
a rubber bumper solves that or hold the phone ina different manner
a small trade off for such a great phone

no ??
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #54 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

The conductivity of you hand does not matter.

One can put a thin scotch tape over the bridge and effect will be the same. Obviously, it's a capacitive coupling. The bumper (or a case) just physically separates your hand from the antenna, thus decreasing the coupling. During the design process the presence and interference with the human body is accounted for. It's one of the major ingredients in the antenna design process.

Besides, anybody with a handheld multimeter can measure the resistance between the parts of the antenna. Guess what! It's less than 0.5 Ohm! Apparently it's already shorted through the electronics inside. Your hand, with its several kOhms of resistance, is not going to do anything. Also you can physically short it from the outside with any metal object. A screwdriver would do it! No changes in the behavior at all.

I could drop the bars from 5 to 3 by holding the phone for 3 min. However, the SpeedTest data does not get worse, in several instances it even increases. It's about 2Mb for downploading and 1Mb uploading. Not bad for 3G.

What applies for DC does not apply for RF, especially with respect to UHF and microwave.

There are many antenna designs that exhibit a short at DC, but operate just fine at their resonant frequency. This is common, especially in situations where antennas are prone to having to deal with lightning strikes.

I think there's a bit of a design flaw here, you just can't have count on not coupling between the skin and the antenna element. The solution is for the phones to come with radomes. I just want mine to have tiny Andrew red lightning bolt logos on it.

With that said, I'm going to get me one of these phones. But true to my love of Apple products, I wait until the *second* iteration,.
post #55 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The guy says Apple make a trade off. But they didn't, they actually made a product with a design failure. Getting a case so you don't drop calls is absolute bullshit. Apple overlook this one, and it's a big one, and they aren't going to admit it. I won't be buying an iPhone 4, and I'm going to be tell everyone I know not to buy it. This is unacceptable, and Apple are full of shit on this one.

You weren't going to buy an iPhone anyway. So don't try to use this for justification.
post #56 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

This reminds me of the puck mouse. Looked pretty, but the cursor would shoot off at crazy angles all the time if you were not holding it just right. So it looked pretty but was basically useless as a mouse.

i loved that mouse
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #57 of 444
Quote:

Who is the bonehead at Apple who decided it would be a good idea to blame the customer?
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
post #58 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by lav1daloca View Post

I call foul on that Apple! RED CARD RED CARD!!! No way in the world you can get away with that! If i buy the most expensive phone in the market, it better be working any way i hold it!!! The phone had design flaws and Apple better redesign this issue otherwise people will abandon it.

The mere fact that this is true is troubling.
post #59 of 444
Interesting analysis by an antenna engineer:

Quote:
Just about every cell phone in current production has the antenna located at the bottom. This insures that the radiating portion of the antenna is furthest from the head. Apple was not the first to locate the antenna on the bottom, and certainly won't be the last. The problem is that humans have their hands below their ears, so the most natural position for the hand is covering the antenna. This can't be a good design decision, can it? How can we be stuck with this conundrum? It's the FCC's fault...

Article here (spotted on Daring Fireball)
post #60 of 444
Quote:

EVERY cellphone does that! "Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance"

The iPhone works the same as every other cellphone. It has NO reception problems.

I used to think all these posts were sarcasm, now I'm not so sure. Are you high?
post #61 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by shapesNforms View Post

I would imagine every cell phone might have a reception issue, depending on how it's held...maybe loose a bar or two of reception. Makes sense to me...

But is it normal to have it drop, one by one, all five bars and then drop the call as my new iPhone will do on a constant basis right now?

At first, I was holding out hope there might be an easy fix for this via firmware but based on the comments I'm seeing from Apple, I think that hope is fading away...Now I'm sort of trying to decide what to do? I really like this phone and honestly, I put all my phones in some sort of case anyways but...Something about Apple's tone on this issue is rubbing me the wrong way. A phone should just work, just like any other phone. I or anyone else shouldn't have to change something as basic as how you hold a phone, because of how that phone was designed. And as has been shown, Apple's own marketing stuff shows the phone being held in the same way that causes the current problem.

I noticed on my AT&T bill that the phone can be returned by July 8th. Think I will give this until then to see if this issue sees any resolution and then make a decision. Something as basic as reception just makes me wonder now if there might be other "features" that may show up between now and then...

If Apple doesn't fix this issue, on a hardware level I suggest you don't buy an iPhone. Their response is rubbing every normal person the wrong way. It's disgusting.
post #62 of 444
As SJ says it is the same with other phones, see MacRumors lead article at this moment in time

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/24/...l-loss-issues/
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #63 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Sounds like a delay tactic to me until they figure out what is really going on and what it will take to fix it.

Why would tape not work if rubber does?

Tape does work if applied on the right spot. But not buying an iPhone 4 works better.
post #64 of 444
Quote:

Every cellphone has severe reception problems if you hold it in you left hand.

The iPhone is exactly the same as every other phone in this regard.

No matter how may times you repeat this crap doesn't make it true. What are you going to say when Apple does actually fix this issue? You're full of shit.
post #65 of 444
Quote:

They aren't admitting their mistake because they didn't make one. All cell phones have potential issues with how you hold them. .

That's so cute!

post #66 of 444
Quote:

If Apple doesn't fix this issue, on a hardware level I suggest you don't buy an iPhone. Their response is rubbing every normal person the wrong way. It's disgusting.

Wow, you really have become a '... censored...' these days.
post #67 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I like how they use the word "gripping" as opposed to holding or touching. Nice spin Apple. It's true, I can get my RAZR to do the same thing... but I have to put it in a two-handed full coverage death grip to get it to drop from 5 to 3 bars. In the iPhone 4 videos, it seems that just holding the phone normally can make it drop from 5 bars to 0. Kind of a big deal Apple. There's "attenuation" from "gripping" and then there is complete loss of signal from holding the thing normally.

Well put.
post #68 of 444
Quote:

It DOES just work, if you hold it properly! This is a non-issue. Every cellphone on the planet has this exact same "issue".

Exactly ...this has links to YouTube samples

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/24/...l-loss-issues/
post #69 of 444
Quote:

No matter how may times you repeat this crap doesn't make it true. What are you going to say when Apple does actually fix this issue? You're full of shit.

Why are you taking his bait?
post #70 of 444
Quote:

No, I heard it from a completely reliable source:

"Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance"..."Non issue. Just avoid holding it in that way."

See? No problem exists!

This is a non issue. It does not exist as an issue. No issue here.

Just avoid holding it like a normal cellphone. I mean really! People complain about what Apple products will NOT do, like work when you hold them in your hand, but they completely ignore what they WILL do!

If you leave it flat on the table, the screen is very pretty!

So you are being sarcastic. You trickster, you.
post #71 of 444
Quote:

The iPhone works the same as every other cellphone. It has NO reception problems.

And all the phones were working fine in the pictures ... Great post.

I can as so can many people hold them that way and they work fine. So go figure ...
post #72 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

I agree! I don't know about anyone else but I do consider this antenna issue to a major design flaw of the iPhone 4. I remember the big applause Steve Jobs got when he highlighted the new design during his keynote. Apple definitely needs to include a free bumper case with all iPhone purchases. Steve Jobs should be embarrassed about this. I know we'll be hearing more from the Apple haters. I hate giving them something legitimate to complain about. I wonder how long it will be until Droid airs a commercial about their "perfect" antenna??

I don't see how you would have given anyone something legitimate to complain about. If it's legit then it should be complained about. I never cared for defending Apple, if the goods are good enough you shouldn't need to.
post #73 of 444
Quote:

It DOES just work, if you hold it properly! This is a non-issue. Every cellphone on the planet has this exact same "issue".

This is an Issue,

I have used Many Motorola phones, two Blackberry's, and even a Nokia. All had one thing in common. I never had to hold them the Proper way as you describe the iPhone 4 requires.
The Proper way to hold a phone is in your hand , if it doesnt work In your hand then its an issue.

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

2010 MacBook Pro 13, 2.66
Dell XPS 420 - Gaming PC
iPhone 3G 8GB
iPhone 4 on StraightTalk

post #74 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by magari View Post

The point is that this is a issue with all phones and not only with the iphone. Just cuzz the iphone is selling like hot cakes ppl are making a huge deal out of it.

Especially in Europe where the 3.5 coverage is great this is indeed an absolute non-issue.

It's amazing how much the iPhone gets bashed because it is so popular. When they talk about anything being bad with cellphones...it is always "The iPhone this or that". All phones do the signal loss with hand placement. I have noticed it with all of my iPhone but no one ever said a word about it before. If you cover up an antennae, crap happens. Get over it. They are just making a big deal of it now due to the new type of antennae design.

People love to bitch about anything that dominates the rest. But, they still want it so bad it hurts.

If you don't like how the iPhone acts with hand placement, hold it right, learn to use your right hand (lol), or, JUST BUY SOMETHING ELSE!!! You don't HAVE to buy the iPhone you know.
post #75 of 444
First of all, i have to say i'm glad Apple has come out and admitted there is an issue with the signal when you hold it certain ways. It's always nice to hear it from the horse's proverbial mouth.

Second, I can't say i'm too suprised by the response from Apple as well. Blame it on the technology why don't you?\

For a company that prides itself to provide the most innovative user-freindly products that work every time you use it without problems, to provide products that are well designed, built and perform to the highest level of self scrutany, and for a company headed by a man that nit-picks every minor detail about a device and places the fear of god into it's designers and engineers to perfect it, i'm a little dissapointed by the excuses and solutions brough forth today.

Personally, if i produced a product that is performing to an unsatisfactory level like this after touting my horn a few weeks ago about how fantastically awesome it is, and to read the sleugh of poor reviews about performance; i'd have a hard time living with the excuses given by my company today. Who was this person who gave the official Apple responce? Why wasn't it the man (SJ) himself to come out with the statement?

To blame the technology for (what appears to be) a design flaw (albeit not every phone reacts this way but enough do) is just plain lame and a bit cowardly. Then to provide a band-aid solution is even more cowardly. Apple is one of the most innovative companies out there and to place blame on a technology, when they are innovators of such technology, seems a bit ignorant. If they knew of this issue, why not attempt to be innovative and come up with creative solutions to this "allegedly" known issue? What makes it worse is that the people buying iP4 from today on will have no excuse to complain. Because all the "Geniuses" out there will just throw out a big, fat "we told you so".

Like I said, i'm not suprised by the responce, but it doesn't make it any less dissapointing to hear that they will attempt to do nothing to resolve the problem.

ID 10 T...I hear enough of that at work from my own IT staff and I refuse to accept this from a leader of innovative technology.

I expect to see a new form factor in June 2011. I'm SO glad i waited on a purchase of this new device. My 3G with iOS4 up and running smoothly will sufice for now!
post #76 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

your a bigger jerk than teck stud ever was
crawl back in your wintel whole dude

apple is doomed

oddly your screen shots came into my apple devices at such a high res i feel apple has done no wrong at all

yes ATT has shit reception in nyc sanfran dallas
99000 posts ago we knew that
i will not buy an iphone until verizon gets on board or apple becomes the gatekeeper for me

That's for calling me a jerk btw. I'll try not to call Apple out on massive design blunders in the future. You're the type of reason PC users hate Mac users. Blind love.

I have loved my iPhone 2G since the day I bought it. Loved it!

The iPhone 4 has a major issue, if you can't admit that your stupid.
post #77 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

It's amazing how much the iPhone gets bashed because it is so popular. When they talk about anything being bad with cellphones...it is always "The iPhone this or that". All phones do the signal loss with hand placement. I have noticed it with all of my iPhone but no one ever said a word about it before. If you cover up an antennae, crap happens. Get over it. They are just making a big deal of it now due to the new type of antennae design.

People love to bitch about anything that dominates the rest. But, they still want it so bad it hurts.

If you don't like how the iPhone acts with hand placement, hold it right, learn to use your right hand (lol), or, JUST BUY SOMETHING ELSE!!! You don't HAVE to buy the iPhone you know.

*yawn*
post #78 of 444
In a matter of weeks millions of iPhone 4' users will be able to report in ... already there are a hell of a lot of them ... so if it is as bad is the trolls want you all to think it is we will see them all being returned. I wonder how many have been returned far?

I am sure Apple may tweak the design slightly, or mod the OS but given this is a common fact for all mobile phones only a troll would be trying to persuade people not to buy iPhones because of this.

The sky is not falling folk,s no matter how much Scotland or whatever his name is wants you to think it is.
post #79 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

You weren't going to buy an iPhone anyway. So don't try to use this for justification.

That's bollocks. I have the 600 up stairs in my safe. You have no idea what you're talking about. I love the iPhone 4, but this issue is major, and I will recommend against the iPhone 4 until Apple fixes it.
post #80 of 444
I know this all seems to be about the grounding of the antenna, but . . .

I have a bumper on my phone, and all morning it has been dropping calls. (never does that here)
At one point, I pulled the phone from my head and noticed that there were no bars, and almost instantly the bars came back, 1 by 1.

And no, there is not a metal plate in my head.

Also, the sensor seems to not work right, I am always muting the phone while talking on this one, which is problematic.

So, I think this unit has to go back to be exchanged or replaced with a 3Gs.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple says any mobile phone has reception issues when held wrong