or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Worst case' in iPhone reception issue: Apple gives away bumpers

'Worst case' in iPhone reception issue: Apple gives away bumpers - Page 5

post #161 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

It is surprising this left the door, I'll admit. However, throwing in a $29 bumper for $5 (which costs them $0.25) is an easy solution to the problem. It is a pretty stupid design flaw (in retrospect) that they should have seen coming and addressed already.

But, it isn't going to impact purchases or profitability.

There is no design flaw.

Going forward why don't you get something else to complain about.
post #162 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeoutsider View Post

There is no design flaw.

Going forward why don't you get something else to complain about.

If you are so , why don't you unsubscribe from the thread. If you keep reading it and it keeps making you because you complain about various posts it would seem obvious that you are the problem.

If you mean that a phone should be expected to drop calls all the time because of the (non-flawed) antenna design I must say that you have a very different set of expectations than anyone else i have ever encountered.

I can tell you that I went into the Apple store and held the iPhone 4 precisely in the manner shown in the Apple, Inc. TV adverts and it went from 5 bars to 3 and then 2 and then none. Now Apple is telling us that the "formula used to calculate the number of bars is all wrong". If that is true, then it does show an inadequate test of the product prior to release. More damning is the obvious conclusion that the reason that the call is dropped is that the network and/or reception of the phone is simply not adequate for the intended use...making a phone call.

If "you are holding it wrong" is the answer, then why does Apple show people "holding it wrong" in their commercials? If "you are holding it wrong" is the answer, it also shows a profound lack of human factors design capability as the way shown in the commercial is the way that a user can be expected to hold it both on the basis of ergonomics and prior experience of how people hold phones.

So, yes, it is a flawed design. Whether a bumper or similar product resolves the problem sufficiently to satisfy most people remains to be seen.

As of this morning, there are news reports of a class action lawsuit to require Apple to provide bumpers at no cost to the customer. Is this a surprise? I hardly think so. It is a very predictable consequence of releasing a product with this sort of problem.

There are unconfirmed reports of a second production run of iPhone 4s which have some sort of coating over the metal frame/antenna. We shall see.

So just chill and unsubscribe from this thread if you don't like it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Worst case' in iPhone reception issue: Apple gives away bumpers