or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Worst case' in iPhone reception issue: Apple gives away bumpers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Worst case' in iPhone reception issue: Apple gives away bumpers - Page 2

post #41 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post



I think iP 4.1 is much better. At least it makes phone calls.

"thinner than steve jobs" - that's thin!
luckily however I decided to wait till v5 (or maybe later) before upgrading.
post #42 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

If it is a design flaw Apple will need to bite the bullet. There is no way that an affected user can be required to use bumpers to remedy the problem. The phone was not advertised and sold to require bumpers to function. There would need to be an additional course of remedy, again, IF this is a design flaw.

Like you said, IF it's a design flaw. And if it's an issue that all users have, which doesn't seem to be the case at this point. We'll see what apple "needs" to do, that depends on how severe it is and how widespread it is. And how many users are perfectly happy once they get a free bumper. "Not advertised as requiring a bumper" is not a factor.

You seem to think that Apple will end up taking back every phone they've sold. That is NOT going to happen (at least not based on this issue), especially if a bumper fixes the problem.
post #43 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I suggest everyone take a deep breath and wait until some controlled testing reveals whether this "flaw" is indeed such. It is possible that Apple is right, and that all phone signals are effected by the hand that holds it to one degree or another. Only scientific testing alongside the other models and competing phones can determine this. Not people standing in lines, or people posting on blogs.

If it is shown that there is a problem, then discussions of remedies will be germane.

You want controlled testing? C'mere and I'll show you. Pinch the phone with 2 fingers and Safari downloads like crazy. Hold it in your left hand (like one would do when touching the screen with the right hand) and any downloading stops instantly. Keep holding it like that for 30 seconds or so and see "No Service" pop up on the screen (plus a msg from Safari saying the server stopped responding). This is in an area where I normally have 2-3 bars of Edge signal, and where my old 3GS worked flawlessly every time. I have 3 iPhone 4s and they all do this.
post #44 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Like you said, IF it's a design flaw. And if it's an issue that all users have, which doesn't seem to be the case at this point. We'll see what apple "needs" to do, that depends on how severe it is and how widespread it is. And how many users are perfectly happy once they get a free bumper. "Not advertised as requiring a bumper" is not a factor.

You seem to think that Apple will end up taking back every phone they've sold. That is NOT going to happen (at least not based on this issue), especially if a bumper fixes the problem.

How is it NOT a design flaw? Steve Jobs purposely mentioned putting the stupid antennae right into the grip of the phone.

That's not smart engineering design, that's sacrificing design over functionality. You can't even use an iPHONE to make PHONE calls! That is utterly idiotic.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #45 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post

You want controlled testing? C'mere and I'll show you. Pinch the phone with 2 fingers and Safari downloads like crazy. Hold it in your left hand (like one would do when touching the screen with the right hand) and any downloading stops instantly. Keep holding it like that for 30 seconds or so and see "No Service" pop up on the screen (plus a msg from Safari saying the server stopped responding). This is in an area where I normally have 2-3 bars of Edge signal, and where my old 3GS worked flawlessly every time. I have 3 iPhone 4s and they all do this.

Now that's interesting. The poster a few back also has 2-3 bars of Edge signal.

Can you go somewhere where there's 3G and see if it does the same?

Just curious.
post #46 of 162
Steve Jobs is an a**hole. He does this crap and expects is loyal followers to say, "OK MESSIAH!". I like my Apple stuff to but man I'm so pissed about this. And I saw the iphone 4 yesterday and I wasn;t impressed. I'll stick with 16 gig(8.65 now) 3GS.
If Apple stocks gets hurt badly from this the Iphone 4 debacle, it will get revised.
And bet your life there will be a class action lawsuit.
If Jobs doesn't chill he'll get replaced.
We are all expendable!
post #47 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

You know whats funny about all this, if this was a new Android phone or something put out by RIM everyone on this forum would be taking about how others don't live up to Apple standards before any true tests came out. Because its Apple now everyone wants to wait and give Apple months to test before coming to a conclusion.

Funny shouldn't they have done all their testing before the release date?

Looks like Apple has now become big enough where they are the new Microsoft. Beta product right into production and fix the problems later.

I for one have been a very happy loyal Apple user for many years, and I don't expect perfection, but waiting months for them to take responsibility for this issue (if there is one) is not acceptable. This should only take a week or two for them to figure out what is actually going on and pass along info to us. If the last thing we hear from Apple is, "Hey silly customers, buy one of our bumpers since you are obviously holding it wrong", then I will be very disappointed in regard to this product. I won't judge future products by this one launch, but I won't be an early adopter anymore either. I should also say that I do not have an iPhone 4. Maybe someday, but I am just saying how I would like to be treated if I had this problem.
post #48 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Its been scientific proof that Apple always puts how something looks before function. Now they are talking about giving away a bumper, give me a break what a joke and you know everyone here would be hammering Microsoft or Google if it was one of their products without and proof at all.

Actually I think this may be a case of putting one function before another function. From what I've heard the reception really is better with this antenna approach.
post #49 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

From what I've seen with data in the Speedtest app, as soon as the gap is bridged, data transfer halts. The bars seem to provide a moving average of signal strength over about the last 20 seconds, so it takes them 20 seconds to catch up. Likewise, after releasing the death grip, it takes another 20 seconds for the bars indicator to be fully restored, even though data transmission resumes immediately.

Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Just curious about how bad it really is. I wanted to be an early adopter, but the lines were crazy at midnight. There was no way I was going to wait that long.

Are we talking INSTANT dropped calls every time or do the bars just go down? I find that the bars on my 3Gs fluctuate all the time while talking, but I don't lose the call.


I am unable to replicate this issue 100% of the time. Not even 20% of the time. However I have experienced ZERO dropped calls because of this. This doesn't let Apple off the hook mind you. They still need to address this.
post #50 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

It is surprising this left the door, I'll admit. However, throwing in a $29 bumper for $5 (which costs them $0.25) is an easy solution to the problem. It is a pretty stupid design flaw (in retrospect) that they should have seen coming and addressed already.

But, it isn't going to impact purchases or profitability.

Hmmm, maybe they did see it coming, maybe that's why they created their own bumper.

I gotta agree with Wu that it won't make a hint of difference to anyone given how easily it is resolved. I have yet to meet someone who doesn't put a case on their iPhone so I suspect the vast majority of people out there won't even encounter the issue.

It's still bad on Apple's part that they missed this though, just dumb that they tried to defend it with the lamo, "every phone has issues." Please, just release a statement that you regret some people are having issues and that you are investigating the issue.
post #51 of 162
Mine works fine too (with both 3G & WiFi, dry hands and slightly moist hands).
---


Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

IMHO, the blogs are really to blame for this over-reaction. What we've seen over the past 36 hours is a perfect example of how the internet, bloggers, and message boards can turn a mountain into a mole hill.

I'd wager that there are far fewer actual issues from the antennae than reported. Very few consumers have the technical or troubleshooting knowledge to really isolate an issue to be caused by one variable. Logically, in many of the reported cases, there is no way for the user to know if it's the weather, the signal, interference, aliens, or just poor reception.

For the record, my iPhone4 works great. So does my wife's. No issues.
post #52 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodduality View Post

Well this is my first post, but I have been reading this site for a few months now.

I preordered and recieved my iphone 4 yesterday through fedex and it has both the discolored screen and the signal issues. The ATT store I activated at took a note of the screen so I can exchange it later if it doesn't go away.

I noticed the signal issue later when I got home. Where I live I only have edge and only 2 or 3 bars of signal. If I hold the phone in my left hand the signal drops to "no service" and I am unable to make calls if I try. So it is more than just a cosmetic thing, and really did make me drop to no service.

Sorry, you don't have enough posts here to be considered a credible source. Come back after you've posted more than 200 times.

yes, j/k
post #53 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post

What happens when you're in a high humidity area? Or go from a cool to warm environment? Or pick up the phone after putting down your cold drink?

The bumper case can't stop condensation.

and condensation relates to this story/rubber bumpers in what way???
post #54 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Personally...

I'd rather they had better designed/engineered the device prior to release, as opposed to this (proposed) half-hearted 'fix'.

The only possible design change would be the ability to leverage the conductive properties of the human body to locally enhance a signal. Otherwise, all phones with no extending antenna are impacted by reality.
post #55 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

How is it NOT a design flaw?

I didn't say it's not, I said IF it's a design flaw meaning that the facts are still coming in. This was a response to a post insisting that Apple would take back every phone they've sold. Do you think there's much chance of that?

And the FCC requires putting the antenna in the base of the phone - if it's in the top (as it used to be) then the phone is sending signal straight through your head (not that there isn't a problem, just saying that the problem isn't having the antenna in the base since all new ones do it that way).
post #56 of 162
This is going to be a non-issue, if it isn't already. Come on folks. Is AI becoming a place where children come to gripe about all things Apple?
post #57 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Steve Jobs is an a**hole. He does this crap and expects is loyal followers to say, "OK MESSIAH!". I like my Apple stuff to but man I'm so pissed about this. And I saw the iphone 4 yesterday and I wasn;t impressed. I'll stick with 16 gig(8.65 now) 3GS.
If Apple stocks gets hurt badly from this the Iphone 4 debacle, it will get revised.
And bet your life there will be a class action lawsuit.
If Jobs doesn't chill he'll get replaced.
We are all expendable!

Maccherry is a douche. To fixate to the point you're calling a CEO an a-hole as if your life's freedoms have been unduly usurped from you is truly pathetic.
post #58 of 162
I would think apple can just infuse a 'bumper' into the side of the phone in the next revision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Despite well publicized reports of iPhone 4 reception issues, one analyst said he sees Apple, in the "worst case," discounting or giving away protective bumpers with little financial impact on the company.

Analyst Shaw Wu with Kaufman Bros. issued a note to investors Friday in which he discounted the antenna concerns as "overdone." Since the iPhone 4 launched, discussion of dropped calls from holding the device in one's left hand has grown, and Apple even publicly commented on the issue.

"We don't think the antenna issue is that big of a deal where it would warrant a product recall," Wu wrote. "The reason is that most users have a case anyway to protect their iPhone and to customize to their personal preferences. In our view, in the worst case, Apple provides a discount on the $29 iPhone 4 bumper case or includes one for free with an iPhone 4 purchase. Either way, we do not think this would have a material impact impact on our forecasts."

Apple, in a statement, said that gripping any mobile phone will affect its antenna performance. The company suggested that users avoid gripping the device in the lower left corner.

But the problem is also alleviated by using a case, which prevents the metal band around the perimeter of the device from making contact with the user's skin. The issue can reportedly be avoided when using the official "bumper" case sold by Apple.

Wu is particularly bullish on Apple's launch of the iPhone 4, predicting that the company sold between 1.5 million and 2 million units. On the high end, that would double the debut of the iPhone 3GS a year ago.

Wu's prediction of 2 million is higher than other analysts who believe Apple will sell closer to 1.5 million of the iPhone 4 at launch. Last week, after the first day of preorders, Apple revealed that more than 600,000 devices had been sold.
post #59 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto65l View Post

Why do people always have to find something to bitch about? Forget all of the reports that people are getting better reception in places they never did before. Instead, Apple should take notice that if I cover up the antenna with my hand, the reception bar goes down.

Meanwhile, somewhere in the California, Steve Jobs is doing a facepalm.

Here's the problem that I think most of you folks don't understand:



Maybe it is a design flaw. Maybe it isn't. (Altho, it does happen to me)

However, when the CEO company answers with:

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

Not exactly the best response.

w00master
post #60 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Its been scientific proof that Apple always puts how something looks before function. Now they are talking about giving away a bumper, give me a break what a joke and you know everyone here would be hammering Microsoft or Google if it was one of their products without and proof at all.

Wrong. It's a balance of cutting edge science with art. That's how much of science gets advanced, next to the ``oops! My experiment failed but produced some interesting results for some new area of research.''
post #61 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I didn't say it's not, I said IF it's a design flaw meaning that the facts are still coming in. This was a response to a post insisting that Apple would take back every phone they've sold. Do you think there's much chance of that?

And the FCC requires putting the antenna in the base of the phone - if it's in the top (as it used to be) then the phone is sending signal straight through your head (not that there isn't a problem, just saying that the problem isn't having the antenna in the base since all new ones do it that way).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The only possible design change would be the ability to leverage the conductive properties of the human body to locally enhance a signal. Otherwise, all phones with no extending antenna are impacted by reality.

The only possible design change? I guess you missed the possible design where the antennas were covered up enough that people couldn't short them together with their hand. The problem isn't blocking the signal, it's shorting the two pieces of metal separated by a gap.

Or here's a really obvious design change that seems to be working - PUT ON A BUMPER.
post #62 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Like you said, IF it's a design flaw. And if it's an issue that all users have, which doesn't seem to be the case at this point. We'll see what apple "needs" to do, that depends on how severe it is and how widespread it is. And how many users are perfectly happy once they get a free bumper. "Not advertised as requiring a bumper" is not a factor.

You seem to think that Apple will end up taking back every phone they've sold. That is NOT going to happen (at least not based on this issue), especially if a bumper fixes the problem.

You lost me with the "all users" part. You're saying this has to be an issue for all users for what to happen?
post #63 of 162
I would not put it past Gizmodo to display some sort of retaliation against apple in anyway, shape or form for the humiliation that they suffered at the hands of Apple. Of course it was gizmodo's fault in the first place that got then into that trouble but hey we all know how things work.
post #64 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

and condensation relates to this story/rubber bumpers in what way???

Let me see if I can explain this.

1. Users report loss of reception problems.
2. Apple suggests using a rubber bumper to improve reception.
3. Another user points out a possible relationship between using a bumper and condensation.
4. If 1=2=3, then maybe there is a relationship?

I'm not sure condensation is an issue but Russell is obliged to make his point.
post #65 of 162
I can't believe people still insisting there is something wrong, that there was a design flaw... how many times do we have to tell you that all cell phones have always done this?? There's nothing wrong with the damn phone. I can duplicate every behavior reported with any available cell phone. This is absolutely absurd.

Allow me to make my case, since there are many that have so kindly spelled out very eloquently and scientifically what they have observed and their brilliant conclusions... surely Apple will not ignore them... but if they do, perhaps these few points may shed some light on why:

1. The reported reception issues with iPhone 4 are identical to every cell phone previously manufactured... ever.

2. The reported reception issues with iPhone 4 are identical to every cell phone previously manufactured... ever.

3. The reported reception issues with iPhone 4 are identical to every cell phone previously manufactured... ever.

Oh, and don't let me forget, most importantly,

4. The reported reception issues with iPhone 4 are identical to every cell phone previously manufactured... ever.

Glad I could help.
post #66 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

I would not put it past Gizmodo to display some sort of retaliation against apple in anyway, shape or form for the humiliation that they suffered at the hands of Apple. Of course it was gizmodo's fault in the first place that got then into that trouble but hey we all know how things work.


Ok... perhaps this is true... but again, my response is that telling a customer/user that: "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG." isn't exactly putting Apple in the best light either.


Again, it's happening to me. Not a big deal for me, but it is hugely annoying and nearly *everyone* I've run into has THE EXACT SAME problem.


Now, before you respond to my post... I ask you (and others again) is "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG" gizmodo's fault? Or Apple's?


If you say Gizmodo... then it might be time to see a doctor.

w00master
post #67 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post

I can't believe people still insisting there is something wrong, that there was a design flaw... how many times do we have to tell you that all cell phones have always done this?? There's nothing wrong with the damn phone. I can duplicate every behavior reported with any available cell phone. This is absolutely absurd.

Allow me to make my case, since there are many that have so kindly spelled out very eloquently and scientifically what they have observed and their brilliant conclusions... surely Apple will not ignore them... but if they do, perhaps these few points may shed some light on why:

1. The reported reception issues with iPhone 4 are identical to every cell phone previously manufactured... ever.

2. The reported reception issues with iPhone 4 are identical to every cell phone previously manufactured... ever.

3. The reported reception issues with iPhone 4 are identical to every cell phone previously manufactured... ever.

Oh, and don't let me forget, most importantly,

4. The reported reception issues with iPhone 4 are identical to every cell phone previously manufactured... ever.

Glad I could help.

So, Jobs' response that "IT'S YOUR FAULT" good then?

Riiiight.

By the way, go to CNN.com's homepage...

Is that Gizmodo's fault?

w00master
post #68 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

IMHO, the blogs are really to blame for this over-reaction. What we've seen over the past 36 hours is a perfect example of how the internet, bloggers, and message boards can turn a mountain into a mole hill.

I'd wager that there are far fewer actual issues from the antennae than reported. Very few consumers have the technical or troubleshooting knowledge to really isolate an issue to be caused by one variable. Logically, in many of the reported cases, there is no way for the user to know if it's the weather, the signal, interference, aliens, or just poor reception.

For the record, my iPhone4 works great. So does my wife's. No issues.

You are so right. The blogosphere has devolved in every area from news reports to scientific sites. The latter are now trolled by ID nut jobs for example. The desire to create a reaction seems to be all that matters. Going 'viral' now seems to be the main desire whatever the facts. At least when you chose your poison with a printed newspaper or magazine you could read it without those that disagree with everything in that newspaper or magazine showing up and screaming at you. I never thought I'd be one to miss the good old days lol.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #69 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I didn't say it's not, I said IF it's a design flaw meaning that the facts are still coming in. This was a response to a post insisting that Apple would take back every phone they've sold. Do you think there's much chance of that?

I said, "I would hope that if a new rev of the phone happens a straight exchange of old for new could happen. Users should not be required to use the bumpers to solve the problem (if it exists for them)."

No pejoritive "insist," in fact I used the word "hope." My point was the bumpers solution could not be enforced and I would hope for a better remedy. Allowing for a replacement, just as buyers are able to do now (folks on this board advise buyers to do that now) may prove to be the best recourse for all, including Apple, IF this is a design flaw affecting a substantial number of people and increasingly bad press continues to come down on Apple.
post #70 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You are so right. The blogosphere has devolved in every area from news reports to scientific sites. The latter are now trolled by ID nut jobs for example. The desire to create a reaction seems to be all that matters. Going 'viral' now seems to be the main desire whatever the facts. At least when you chose your poison with a printed newspaper or magazine you could read it without those that disagree with everything in that newspaper or magazine showing up and screaming at you. I never thought I'd be one to miss the good old days lol.

What you say is partially true, but at the same time the problem has been exasperated by Jobs himself. That's NOT Gizmodo's fault.

Saying to everyone that it's YOUR FAULT is *NOT* the right response. This is what Apple is getting burned for now.

Just go to CNN.com and take a look at their homepage.

Who's fault is that? Maybe it was started by Gizmodo, but imho... this problem is now all Apple.

w00master
post #71 of 162
So is this the real reason the prototype found in the bar had a rubber bumper on it?
post #72 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

The only possible design change? I guess you missed the possible design where the antennas were covered up enough that people couldn't short them together with their hand. The problem isn't blocking the signal, it's shorting the two pieces of metal separated by a gap.

Or here's a really obvious design change that seems to be working - PUT ON A BUMPER.

Well said. If it happened to me and it hasn't I'd simply use some clear plastic sealer (like the spray for car spark plugs) on the small area where the short seems to happen for some. I suspect you have to hunt for areas of weak reception and try really hard to make this happen then you can post a picture on a blog (or of course fabricate the entire event and post anyway).
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #73 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00master View Post

Here's the problem that I think most of you folks don't understand:

Maybe it is a design flaw. Maybe it isn't. (Altho, it does happen to me)

However, when the CEO company answers with:

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

Not exactly the best response.

w00master

Surprising that Apple responded so quickly in ANY way. I'm wondering if that response went out without Jobs knowledge or what. Terrible, just terrible to blame the user, and plain stupid to use the "other phones do it" defense. Was thus a third-tier PR guy that got handed the ball of what?

The sorry thing is this bad press will unfarily taint Apple in the eyes of the many potential buyers. Apple neophites will only hear "stay away from Apple."
post #74 of 162
Finally... doesn't this so-called "user error" thing go against what Apple says?

"The device should work for you not the other way around."

So... buying a bumper or holding it differently... the device is working for the user? How?

Riiight.

w00master
post #75 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00master View Post

What you say is partially true, but at the same time the problem has been exasperated by Jobs himself. That's NOT Gizmodo's fault.

Saying to everyone that it's YOUR FAULT is *NOT* the right response. This is what Apple is getting burned for now.

Just go to CNN.com and take a look at their homepage.

Who's fault is that? Maybe it was started by Gizmodo, but imho... this problem is now all Apple.

w00master

Did Jobs say that or was it one of his minions?
post #76 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

You lost me with the "all users" part. You're saying this has to be an issue for all users for what to happen?

I'm saying if it's a design flaw then pretty much all users would be seeing it - if it's a smaller number, it may be a manufacturing issue affecting only some units (which would be fixed by replacing just those units and not changing the design and replacing all of them).


Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post

1. The reported reception issues with iPhone 4 are identical to every cell phone previously manufactured... ever.

Except that's demonstrably false. You're saying that you can make any phone completely lose signal and drop the call just by holding it in your hand. I just proved that wrong with my old junky phone.


Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

No pejoritive "insist," in fact I used the word "hope." My point was the bumpers solution could not be enforced and I would hope for a better remedy. Allowing for a replacement, just as buyers are able to do now (folks on this board advise buyers to do that now) may prove to be the best recourse for all, including Apple, IF this is a design flaw affecting a substantial number of people and increasingly bad press continues to come down on Apple.

"the bumpers solution could not be enforced" - funny, that sounds like insisting. IF bumpers actually do solve the problem, you really think taking back a million phones is the best recourse for apple?

Assuming the bumpers are a solution, that absolutely could be "enforced". Do we all agree that it would be Super Nice if apple decided to be Super Nice and replace all the phones? Sure. And while they're at it I'd like a years supply of free ice cream and a unicorn, please.

I'll say it again. Assuming that a bumper does solve the problem, apple will not be exchanging all the phones for a new model. Just wait, and you'll see that I am right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint View Post

So is this the real reason the prototype found in the bar had a rubber bumper on it?

I assume you're mostly kidding but you're on to something - it sounds like Apple had people testing the phone externally use a case to hide it. If that's the case, there may have been very little testing without a case. Which would explain how a problem like this managed to make it out the door instead of being caught by testers.
post #77 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto65l View Post

Why do people always have to find something to bitch about?

Because it is so easy. Click reply. Bitch. Bask in the glow of intellectual engagement. I love the internets.
post #78 of 162
I doubt they'll "publicly" give away bumpers. They barely want to give away a flimsy screen cloth for a thousand-dollar laptop. So I doubt they'll give away an accessory which already points to the likelihood they knew about the antenna design "problem". That would just draw attention to the fact that they also tried to make a $30 profit from it.

As much as I usually swear by Apple's genius and design prowess, they really screwed up this time. You don't wrap the entire circumference of a small handheld electronic device with a conductive material – no proper insulation – and not expect noticeable disturbances in a multitude of circumstances! No amount of Jonny Iveness can design-away the laws of physics (
A sad moment for Apple's design/engineering team, especially on a weekend when they could've made serious dents in Android, since Android is showing weakness in its deployment-friendliness with its Sprint delays.
post #79 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Just curious about how bad it really is. I wanted to be an early adopter, but the lines were crazy at midnight. There was no way I was going to wait that long.

Are we talking INSTANT dropped calls every time or do the bars just go down? I find that the bars on my 3Gs fluctuate all the time while talking, but I don't lose the call.

I have two iPhone 4's. Both of them degrade from 4-5 bars to "no service" in about 30 seconds when I hold them. The service returns when I set them down. I can repeat this over and over. The bumper, which cost me $30, seems to have solved this problem. The problem is I hate the bumper and will likely end up shelling out more money for a better case when I find one.
post #80 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Did Jobs say that or was it one of his minions?

Jobs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Worst case' in iPhone reception issue: Apple gives away bumpers