or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Worst case' in iPhone reception issue: Apple gives away bumpers

'Worst case' in iPhone reception issue: Apple gives away bumpers - Page 3

post #81 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I'm saying if it's a design flaw then pretty much all users would be seeing it - if it's a smaller number, it may be a manufacturing issue affecting only some units (which would be fixed by replacing just those units and not changing the design and replacing all of them).

Completely disagree. You have to look no further than Toyota for a clear example of a technology flaw that does not exhibit itself for all owners (and in fact very few). There is no doubt of a design flaw there, right?

Look, there's little data in, I'm sure we agree. But it is very possible that external conditions contribute to whether the problem is evidenced or not, AT&T signal strength among them. I hope it is a manufacturing defect, I hope replacement of problematic units resolve the problem, but your requirement for "design flaw" is much too restrictive.
post #82 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00master View Post

Jobs.

Hooboy! I didn't catch that earlier. That's just so wrong.
post #83 of 162
Quote:
Except that's demonstrably false. You're saying that you can make any phone completely lose signal and drop the call just by holding it in your hand. I just proved that wrong with my old junky phone.

Give me any cell phone, I can reproduce the results you see. Also, try standing beneath a cell tower and reproducing the issue.

You are losing cell for the obvious reasons, ignoring this newly observed behavior. If you can completely lose cell, then you don't have great cell to begin with, or there is an issue with the state of the tower and the current number of calls.

You have proved nothing. You have not even approached anything remotely similar to a proof. You are not doing science, you are making invalid conclusions from incomplete observations.

All cell phones always have done this. All of them. Always. They've always done it. No cell phones don't exhibit this behavior. Every cell phone ever made, all currently existing and in use cell phones can be demonstrated to have this signal-loss effect when comparing an untouched cell phone laying still, and then picking it up and waving it around, it will show this behavior. Always. It will never ever not, because it is science, and science doesn't lie, not the way you lie to yourself.
post #84 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I guess there wont be a recall, my friend happens to be left handed and has a major problem with dropped calls due to this.

He does not want to put his iPhone into a cover, he wants it to be seen, conceited granted, but considering Apple's demographic he is hardly going to be in the minority.

Someone f*cked up good and hard on this one.

i havn't had any problems at all with my iphone4 but if your friend really is having problems the fix is pretty simple, just a piece of clear scotch tape over metal rim of the bottom left corner of the phone. not ideal, but it should work and be barely noticeable.

edit: i bridged it for a good two minutes. lost two bars, web page loaded slower but did not lose reception. took thumb off antennas and the two bars returned and the same web page loaded noticeably faster.
post #85 of 162
and for the north facing, right handed or ambidextrous 4G owners who insist on holding your Iphone left handed, I know it has been unbearable for you. And I want to personally thank you for bring your plight to our attention. I don't know how you can stand it. Oh, the horror. Apple has done you wrong, and you deserve better than this.

So please return the iPhone immediately for a full money back guarantee...so that the other 99% of us who do not have these issues, who have been waiting and waiting, can get our hands on one.

By the way, I hear Androids are quite good, and many on this website believe it is way better than the new iPhone. I suggest you pick one up now.

Thank you for your cooperation.

JoeG.
post #86 of 162
HaHa, I Wrote an email to Steve Jobs yesterday stating the antenna issue is due to conductivity (human hand messing up their seam separation) and should offer the bumper case for free.

If I get a reply from him, I will post a follow up.
post #87 of 162
I haven't read all the posts here, and if the link below has already been posted, my apologies.

Really interesting read:

http://www.antennasys.com/antennasys...-antennas.html
post #88 of 162
Same here. I've always had about 3 bars on an iPhone 3G in my house. The new iPhone is crackling, popping and dropping calls regardless of how I hold it. It's so disappointing to have such bad luck. I went through device swap-outs for the same reception problems on my original iphone 3G. It was painful. After 2 exchanges, the 3rd was a charm. Hope I only need 1 exchange this time.
post #89 of 162
iphone bumper does not resolve the issue completely. something else is also contributing to the issue, if not the root cause.
post #90 of 162
So, since previous versions of the iPhone also had this issue, we can no longer blame AT&T for dropped calls? The real reason for the dropped calls was that us 'dumb' users held the iPhone in our hands....gee....what kind of cell phone manufacturer (Apple) would expect that!

post #91 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Funny shouldn't they have done all their testing before the release date?

Maybe they would have if Gizmodo didn't steal their test unit...

Back on-topic... I would hate to have to cover up a great looking phone with a rubber bumper. This solution would not work for me, makes the phone look cheesy as does any case or cover IMO. I know many like the protection they offer but I prefer to take my chances.
post #92 of 162
I've tied and tried to get this to happen on mine but I can't get a single bar to drop no matter what
post #93 of 162
post #94 of 162
post #95 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Stop talking sense. I've warned you about this before!

Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #96 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

and condensation relates to this story/rubber bumpers in what way???

God! I have a real job. I can't hold your hand all the time...

How does your hand "short" the antennas? By creating an electrical bridge between them.
Everybody knows water is a conductor of electricity.
Condensation gets trapped under the rubber bumper and recreates that bridge.

Anybody that feels the bumper only masks the problem, should let Apple know by returning their phones.

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD and HDX than any iPad

post #97 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

iphone bumper does not resolve the issue completely. something else is also contributing to the issue, if not the root cause.

There are a range of theories. Some say it is iOS4 glitch that can be remedied by a firmware upgrade in the future.

Some say all phones do this, it just happens to a different spot on each model because of the different antenna placement.

Others say it is to do with how much static electricity a person has in their body.

One thing is for sure - it depends a lot on how close you are to your cell tower. If you are close to it and have a strong signal to begin with then the issue isn't so apparent. Some users have found relief by resetting their network settings on the phone. All this does however is force the phone onto the nearest, strongest tower for a while and masks the symptoms - and you nix all your wifi info.

All the Chicken Littles out there should take heart. iPhone is one of Apples biggest income streams now so you can bet your arse they are working on it.

Until the issue is isolated and fixed the best thing you can do is use a bumper, or an invisible shield type of product.
I personally was going to get one anyway to keep the phone looking nice. The film is a dielectric insulator so it will fix the immediate problem until a more permanent solution is found.

Apple is not going to pull a Google on this like they did with the Nexus One.

Just relax and enjoy your phone!

Oh and before you do, please post the last digits of your iPhone 4 serial number so we can see if it is batch issue.

If a shield type of product is not an option, you can put a tiny bit of Scotch/Sellotape on the black bar in the bottom left hand corner. This will also work as a temporary fix.

Save your friends from Skynet - whoops, Google.  Recommend they use StartPage for search..

...and no, I am not paid to say this..

Save your friends from Skynet - whoops, Google.  Recommend they use StartPage for search..

...and no, I am not paid to say this..

post #98 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

I think iP 4.1 is much better. At least it makes phone calls.

hilarious. as a left handed user I could never buy an iPhone 4. it's very surprising and un-apple to make such a glaring design mistake. "we're gonna put the antenna around the perimeter of the phone, the only place where people directly grab it!" yeah, great job.

i would like to see if someone with the bumpers notices signal improvement. hopefully it really works - if i bought an iPhone 4, i would buy a bumper as well anyway.
post #99 of 162
This should be toatlly unacceptable to iPhone owners who spent $200.00 + for their device. They deserve to get a device that is NOT defective. Perhaps a class action law suit is needed to institute a Recall of this defective device and force Apple to make it right.

What else is Stevieboi going to tell me I am holding ''IT'' wrong. Then he will tell me to use my first finger and thumb instead of my hand wrapped it.
post #100 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post

God! I have a real job. I can't hold your hand all the time...

How does your hand "short" the antennas? By creating an electrical bridge between them.
Everybody knows water is a conductor of electricity.
Condensation gets trapped under the rubber bumper and recreates that bridge.

Anybody that feels the bumper only masks the problem, should let Apple know by returning their phones.

And did you know that condensed water happens to be non conductive?

//Rob
post #101 of 162
No recall needed. Just return it for a full refund since it does not perform as it was intended.

post #102 of 162
LOL NBC Nightly news is talking about iPhone 4 reception issues right now (reported by Mike Taibbi).

He just referenced Mac Rumors and Gizmodo and interviewed Jesus Diaz.
post #103 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddisLive View Post

HaHa, I Wrote an email to Steve Jobs yesterday stating the antenna issue is due to conductivity (human hand messing up their seam separation) and should offer the bumper case for free.

If I get a reply from him, I will post a follow up.

What's his address??
post #104 of 162
It's been proven beyond any scientific doubt that the iPhone 4's reception issue is actually not any issue whatsoever and can be duplicated on every cell phone in existence by anyone that understands why it occurs.

Apple will surely leap to respond to this issue as catering to it's least intelligent and most paranoid customer base is what they have always done.

Now Apple will just need to respond to this newly discovered flaw that when you use the sleep button, the screen goes blank. The same thing happens when you switch it off. I can't believe they're still in business... I really can't.

I'm parodying the excellent images by those parodying Apple ignoring what everyone believes is a design flaw in the face of mountains of undeniable and incontravertable scientific evidence. I apologize for any embarrassment or inconvenience I may have caused for the cat.

post #105 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

hilarious. as a left handed user I could never buy an iPhone 4. it's very surprising and un-apple to make such a glaring design mistake. "we're gonna put the antenna around the perimeter of the phone, the only place where people directly grab it!" yeah, great job.

i would like to see if someone with the bumpers notices signal improvement. hopefully it really works - if i bought an iPhone 4, i would buy a bumper as well anyway.

It's not just a lefty vs righty issue. As a righty I hold the iPhone cupped in my left hand when I'm surfing or using apps, but in right hand when talking.
post #106 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

IMHO, the blogs are really to blame for this over-reaction. What we've seen over the past 36 hours is a perfect example of how the internet, bloggers, and message boards can turn a mountain into a mole hill.

I'd wager that there are far fewer actual issues from the antennae than reported. Very few consumers have the technical or troubleshooting knowledge to really isolate an issue to be caused by one variable. Logically, in many of the reported cases, there is no way for the user to know if it's the weather, the signal, interference, aliens, or just poor reception.

For the record, my iPhone4 works great. So does my wife's. No issues.

C'mon now....you can't complain about all the negative Apple buzz when just days ago it was all sweet smelling roses.....You have to take the good Apple media frenzy with the bad Apple media frenzy.....
It is just the nature of the beast!

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #107 of 162
I found this very interesting and will give it a go when I get my iPhone 4 here in Oz...

"Theres something thinner than tape, and much more attractive
I used to be an R&D;engineer in fuel cells, where corrosion and passivation issues are very important.
Stainless steel doesnt corrode because it develops a thin layer of transparent, non-flakey oxides (passivation) on the nickel and chrome in stainless. oxides dont conduct electricitybelieve me, they dont. But such oxides dont interfere with the radio signals (photons) being emitted by the metal an
Its possible that Apple knew of this problem and dismissed it. I note that in almost all the videos by users, they hold the video camera with their right and hold it with their left. So normal, right-handed use might make it so this is a rare phenomenon on average.
I dont yet have my version-4 phone (still have my 3GS) But if it were me, the first thing I would try (be careful if you try this) is to make sure the stain band is very clean and free of oils.
To clean, try one part Windex in three parts distilled water and dampen (not soaked) a rag. Wipe down the edge to make it completely free of oils
Then to passivate the stainless (make a very, very thin piece of tape), I would rub it down with a damp rag with distilled or tap water (if it isnt really water). Let the dampness dry. Repeat several times. You can even use a hand-held hair drier on low (~140 °F) to accelerate the drying and promote deeper passivation.
A mild acid, like vinegar will really passivate stainless quite well. But you REALLY have to be careful; ensure the rag is only *damp*. You should also on a small spot on the bottom of the phone to make sure it doesnt discolor the band.
I should think that skin would have a terrible time galvanically connecting to the stainless and bridging the different antennas if the stainless is fully passivated."

Hope it helps...
post #108 of 162
No bar drop after 2 full recharges!

I've done 2 full battery recharges and the bar drop all but disappeared. It was noticeable during the first day, less so after the first recharge, and now I've been squeezing the heck out of the phone for 30 min straight and it stubbornly stays at 5 bars.

Could it be that the whole thing is a combination of software/power management, and a conditioned battery responding much better to the changes in the antenna load? Notice, that all the negative responses appeared during the first day of use.
post #109 of 162
Quote:

You're right. Buying a bumper should be an option not needed for the phone to function correctly if that ends up being the case.

No but that is a cheap and fast solution. Nintendo did the same thing with the wii controller when people started to complain that the controller slipped from their hands. First Nintendo gave away stronger wristbands and then gave away silicon skin for the controller. Stopped the issues and didn't affect their profit margin one bit.

I am sure Apple will change the production to fix the problem but until then they should issue free bumpers for new iPhone 4 owners.

//Rob
post #110 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Steve Jobs is an a**hole. He does this crap and expects is loyal followers to say, "OK MESSIAH!". I like my Apple stuff to but man I'm so pissed about this. And I saw the iphone 4 yesterday and I wasn;t impressed. I'll stick with 16 gig(8.65 now) 3GS.
If Apple stocks gets hurt badly from this the Iphone 4 debacle, it will get revised.
And bet your life there will be a class action lawsuit.
If Jobs doesn't chill he'll get replaced.
We are all expendable!

Ha!!! Classic upset guy! I love it.
post #111 of 162
If the analysts quoted on another current thread can be quoted after polling people standing in line, so can I. I just reviewed all the posts on this thread up to now. I counted up the number of people who have iPhone 4 who claim problems, and those who claim no problems. I trusted everyone was telling the truth. I counted each phone if someone said they had 3 and all were doing it. Here is the result of my unscientific investigation.

Problems: 7
No Problems: 7

Does this imply that 50% of phones have a problem? No. Because we might assume that complainers tend to be more motivated to sound off than satisfied customers. You can ponder the meaning of this yourselves. But clearly, the complainers are getting more air time in the media that the others.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #112 of 162
Wrong thread
post #113 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Problems: 7
No Problems: 7

Does this imply that 50% of phones have a problem? No. Because we might assume that complainers tend to be more motivated to sound off than satisfied customers. You can ponder the meaning of this yourselves. But clearly, the complainers are getting more air time in the media that the others.

Strange that you get 7 vs 7. I checked the thread and the comparison shows 11 had problems and 5 did not. Based on that I get approximately 69% who experienced problems against 31% who are problem free.

While we can't accurately judge the ratio of motivated complainers to motivated satisfied purchasers, I'd say that twice as many dissatisfied against satisfied is a pretty clear indicator that there is a real issue at this point.

However, since this is my first post here, I'll no doubt get the usual "you're a troll" response applied to those who don't follow the cheer book to the letter, so have at it.
post #114 of 162
Quote:

Sorry did you say something?

Just that you're up to your usual willful misrepresentation of facts. But, now that your brother in arms tekstud has been banned again, I guess you have to pick up the slack. Troll on dude.
post #115 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post

All cell phones always have done this. All of them. Always. They've always done it.

Then why does putting a case or bumper on the phone minimise the problem? That remedy comes from Apple themselves. The point is, all phones may exhibit this behaviour to some extent, but putting the antennae on the outside, allowing you to touch both at once, multiplied the problem to the nth degree.

If you can't accept this, then you really are a mindless fanboi. I'm a big fan of Apple products but they really screwed the pooch on this one.

If a case or bumper fixes the issue, essentially putting the antennae back inside the phone, it is a major design flaw. Period.
post #116 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Strange that you get 7 vs 7. I checked the thread and the comparison shows 11 had problems and 5 did not.

I will check again and post the post numbers of those that contained the data. Remember, I restricted my count to only those who said they actually owned the phone, not those who complained about what others had purportedly experienced.
post #117 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Strange that you get 7 vs 7. I checked the thread and the comparison shows 11 had problems and 5 did not. Based on that I get approximately 69% who experienced problems against 31% who are problem free.

However, since this is my first post here, I'll no doubt get the usual "you're a troll" response applied to those who don't follow the cheer book to the letter, so have at it.

Never a good idea to preemptively assume the worst in us. No name-calling here unless you really earn it.

Okay, I've gone over it twice and here's my result.

No Problems: 7 (post #'s 31, 52, 54, 92, 100, 117), I didn't count #78 because it was somewhat ambiguous. I counted #117 because he said the problem fixed itself. #31 had two phones.

Problems: 5 (post #'s 40, 45, 87, 96), #96 had two phones.

I cannot find the other two nay-sayers I reported the first time. Maybe they took their posts down? Perhaps you can find them where I failed.

Please be so kind as to specify where my math is "dodgy" by citing the post numbers of those I missed or mischaracterized in your opinion.

Or maybe you're just a troll. Kidding . . . I hope.

Again, I am only counting people who made it clear they actually have the phone themselves and are reporting on their personal experience.
post #118 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by oodlum View Post

Then why does putting a case or bumper on the phone minimise the problem? That remedy comes from Apple themselves. The point is, all phones may exhibit this behaviour to some extent, but putting the antennae on the outside, allowing you to touch both at once, multiplied the problem to the nth degree.

If you can't accept this, then you really are a mindless fanboi. I'm a big fan of Apple products but they really screwed the pooch on this one.

If a case or bumper fixes the issue, essentially putting the antennae back inside the phone, it is a major design flaw. Period.

I agree with you 100%. I am the biggest Apple supported there is. I brag about how great the Apple experience is and how they are the best products on the market. I have 2 iMacs a Macbook Pro a Macbook a iPad and 2 iPhones in my household right now.
BUT my new iPhone 4 looses signal from FULL signal to SEARCHING if I hold my phone wrong!!!!!!
Give me a break!!!!! How can anyone defend that! If I HOLD it wrong! C'mon give me a break...
Apple needs to step up and get this resolved now........this does not seem like a software update fix.
Now to get full functionality of my iPhone 4 I have to BUY a $30 rubber bumper?????
That is just wrong!!!!! There is no way anyone can defend this hardware glitch!!
My iPhone 3Gs worked flawlessly no matter how I held it.
And to think I waited 4 hours in 100 degree Arizona heat to get this design flaw.

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #119 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I agree with you 100%. I am the biggest Apple supported there is. I brag about how great the Apple experience is and how they are the best products on the market. I have 2 iMacs a Macbook Pro a Macbook a iPad and 2 iPhones in my household right now.
BUT my new iPhone 4 looses signal from FULL signal to SEARCHING if I hold my phone wrong!!!!!!
Give me a break!!!!! How can anyone defend that! If I HOLD it wrong! C'mon give me a break...
Apple needs to step up and get this resolved now........this does not seem like a software update fix.
Now to get full functionality of my iPhone 4 I have to BUY a $30 rubber bumper?????
That is just wrong!!!!! There is no way anyone can defend this hardware glitch!!

Are you speaking prospectively? Are you making a what-if statement, or have you experienced the problem you are describing? This is a sincere request for clarification, not being snarky.
post #120 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

Let me see if I can explain this.

1. Users report loss of reception problems.
2. Apple suggests using a rubber bumper to improve reception.
3. Another user points out a possible relationship between using a bumper and condensation.
4. If 1=2=3, then maybe there is a relationship?

And?
What does condensation have to do with this story?

Rubber (in the bumpers) comes from Brazil.
Brazil in in the southern hemisphere.
Antarctica (in the southern hemisphere) is where the thinnest layer of ozone is.
The lack of ozone is contributing to global warming.
Global warming is melting the polar ice caps.
Melting polar ice caps will raise the level of the ocean.
The ocean raising will devour the coast lines.
So Apple (in Cupertino), will soon be underwater because the iPhone has a bad signal???

Quote:
I'm not sure condensation is an issue but Russell is obliged to make his point.

Who cares if it is an issue? Why is it relevant to this story?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Worst case' in iPhone reception issue: Apple gives away bumpers