or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01 - Page 5

post #161 of 604
I have not yet received my iPhone 4, but I have upgraded my iPhone 3Gs to iOS4. At random intervals, the upgraded 3Gs displays the SAME fading of signal bars as the videos circulating on the internet about the iPhone 4. Once placed on a flat surface away from your hand, they reappear at the same rate they disappeared. This does not happen every time, but I know it NEVER occurred before iOS4.

I have been posting to many sites about this problem, and it is often dismissed as impossible because this cannot be just a software problem, it has to be hardware related. Now it appears that Apple may "fix" this with 4.0.1. I am no engineer, but I suspect it is both hardware and software, and my intuition tells me that attenuation of the antennae may be a pre-existing problem that the OS software has not been accurately reflecting BEFORE iOS4. That would also explain the dropped call problem on AT&T using all my prior iPhone models (2, 3, 3Gs). My wife's various Blackberrys, and our kids LG and Moto phones, do not drop calls like my iPhone. Perhaps AT&T is NOT the only party at fault in this voice quality mess. What if the prior versions of the OS were incorrectly reporting signal strength and performance, and this has been fixed in the current iOS4? Even more importantly, if the imminent 4.0.1 is released and the problem (as reported on screen) is resolved. Has it just been hidden again?

I dont mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but it is IMPOSSIBLE for my 3Gs, with its internal antennae, to exhibit the same behavior as an iPhone 4 supposedly bridged by holding it wrong. This deserves an honest answer, and even perhaps a few apologies to AT&T.
post #162 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschunde View Post

WTF!!!?!?!?!! APPLE is worse than the "Dritte Reich" concerning information policy!
"SIEG HEIL HERR JOBS" FUCK YOU APPLE YOU BUNCH OF ASSHOLES!
They fucked the SUPERDRIVE and the WLAN of my old MBP and instead of admitting that they made a fault they just deleted the digital traces by killing discussion threads and removing any information about the defect update files pretending that there never were fatal updates which severely fucked up the firmware of components!

CENSORSHIP is one of the worst things in the world and APPLE you SUCK!

Keep it mind there's no proof these threads actually existed.

If they fucked you before than I feel for you, but in this instance something tells me it might not be a simple software update to fix the issue. We'll see what happens.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #163 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

My God man, this is exactly what I mean when I talk about passion for Apple products. The iPhone 4 has been front page news well before it was ever announced or released. There has always been praises and slanders, so nothing new there. The bottom line is that people are seeing, buying and using the iPhone 4 for themselves and continue to vote with their credit cards.

The indisputable fact remains that after overwhelming pre-orders of the iPhone 4, the huge waiting lines to buy the Apple product are still overflowing across malls and streets all over the world where it has been available for several days.

Evidently even the bashers are passionate as they hopelessly try to tare the bonds between Apple and their fans.

Call me what you want, but the final "Non-Issue" verdict is being passed all over the world with credit cards right now. If the world says it's a "non-Issue", it's a "non-issue". The iPhone 4 will not be redesign and it will remain the most popular smart phone in the world because it's a "non-issue".

Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well said, I totally agree. Certain people seem to be making a blogging career out of wanting Apple to have a major problem don't they? I have to think they will be very disappointed when this blows over and sales are through the roof.

OK, I try to make this as cordial as possible.

1) Reception problems be they hardware or software: It's clear that a number of people are having reception issues with the iPhone. Is it hardware, is it software? We don't know. However, it's a problem nonetheless for many people. Holding the iPhone in the same mannor as any other smartphone results in dropped bars, and for others, dropped calls and loss of internet connection/speed drops.

It is not acceptable to tell a customer that "You are holding it wrong" when it is the natural way that most people would hold their smartphone -- especially when Apple's promos show people holding the phone in the exact same way.

2) People complaining about their phone not working as advertised: A customer buys a product, it doesn't work as advertised, so they go to online forums to state their case and tell people that it is not working -- that seems perfectly logical to me. However, you have people here telling them to basically "stop causing trouble" and "stop defaming Apple".

I'm sorry, if the phone is having issues, why wouldn't you try to bring attention to that fact instead of shutting up and keeping quiet? What's the point of being passive about the matter? You buy a $200 or $300 device and you can't use it properly without holding it unnaturally? That's a big problem that needs to be addressed.

I even went to the Apple Store in Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh, NC to purchase a Bumper to try to alleviate the problem, but they were out of stock. I talked to a genius there about the reception problems and he acknowledged that customers were having problems. He had no answer as to how it would be fixed and said basically "Apple hasn't told us anything yet, so we don't have anything new to tell you at this moment".

3) If iPhone 4 sales numbers are through the roof, that means that this is a "non-issues": Again, this sounds ridiculous to me. The iPhone 4 is so popular that many people would buy them despite what problems it may have. Some people will buy an iPhone 4 and not have any problems at all. Some people may buy an iPhone 4, discover a reception problem, then change their habits to hold the phone in a different, unnatural way. Some people will buy an iPhone 4 and not care one way or the other.

But one thing still remains -- if there is an underlying problem with the phone that causes reception issues, blockbuster sales numbers do not change the fact that there is indeed a problem at hand.

4) "You can't talk bad about Apple, shut up! Stop being a crybaby. All that matters are sales numbers: When I hear comments like these, I can't help but think are you guys regular customers, or PR people for Apple or Apple shareholders. What regular customer do you know of that cares how many phones or computers some company sells? Most only care that the product that they receive works. I don't understand the need for people on these forums to stick up for Apple even if a problem has been detected.

It's almost as if some people here seem to think that any negativity towards Apple is going to affect their AAPL share prices. Here's a heads up, regular consumers don't give a crap about your share prices; they care about having a device that works.
post #164 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

It was abundantly clear that my claim was based on "Daniel's" track record as the most prolific Apple apologist/suck-up pseudo "journalist" that this forum or any other except perhaps MacDailyNews has ever witnessed. Show me one of his "articles" that isn't an attack on one of Apple's Enemies du jour, or some overly flattering pump piece that promotes Apple. You can't?

Actually, that wasn't abundantly clear to the average reader. You stated bullshit as if it were known fact.


Quote:
I rest my case.

Resting your keyboard would be more beneficial.


Quote:
What astonishes me about your attack on me is that you didn't take the time to consider whether what I wrote might be true. You simply decide it wasn't and went for it. Doesn't that make you wonder about your motives?

I didn't decide it wasn't true. I decided it wasn't proven (or really even attempted to be) but was stated as if it were a matter of record and filed it appropriately.


Quote:
If you have the courage of your convictions, then you'll show me where "daniel's" opinions are stated as such. Your claim. I'm waiting.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question and I've got a vacation to get to.
post #165 of 604
Given that this 'death grip' issue clearly appears to be hardware/design based (yes, I'm holding an iPhone 4 right now, so save the nonsensical accusations to the contrary), there should be absolutely no surprise if all Apple does is tweak a bit of code forcing the signal meter show more bars than it actually has, no matter the actual signal strength.

We'll See Soon Enough...
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #166 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, I'm curious about your association with Glenn Beck. It goes right to the heart of the matter.

Well, you admit to being a paid PR hack, and you're here trying to discredit AI. It's disingenuous of you not to come clean on your motives. It certainly looks like you have something to hide, perhaps some financial gain at stake. You really need to admit to your bias, let us know what positions you have in Apple stock or the stock of competitors. You really need to be honest here and just admit what you are up to.

Glenn Beck? Perhaps that's an American thing. You should explain.

Disingenuous? Hardly. I've already outed myself as being in the business.

I'm not discrediting AI at all. AI isn't Daniel Eran Dilger and his aliases.

I am pointing out that DED isn't an unbiased source of info though. Actually, if anyone here has paid some real attention to what he says and the inflammatory language he uses to say it, it would be really obvious to them. But hey... best you look at a few of his pieces and then tell me you disagree.

So you're wrong. My motives are exactly the same as yours - I feel the desire to express my opinions on a blog. I hold no Apple stock at this time although I have had in the past. Frankly, I don't have enough spare dineros to hold much of a holding in any stocks right now. But I own a beachfront cabin on a nice bay. (OK. It's a share. I don't own the whole thing).

I posted here after lurking for some years because this time Apple has fücked up and I can't believe that there are a core of people who are defending it. Like somehow it's OK to design some crummy unApple piece of kit and pretend that it's ok. It's not.

So I add my voice to the Apple customers who want to express the view that if there's a design fault in the iP4, Apple needs to come clean and fix it. Really fix it. Not apply some bandaid.

And of course to point out that DED is as much a journalist as I am. Which is to say, not.

But you needn't believe me. I'll remind people from time to time though.

post #167 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Are you sure? I truly believed and assumed he did since he almost single handedly insulted anyone with one saying it worked fine! Surely you are mistaken, he would not base all his vitriol and attacks on hearsay and media that was itself feeding of blogs ... that would be a feed-back loop of massive proportions!

THERE IS A MASSIVE NYC AND SANFRN SIGNAL PROBLEM LASTING 31 MONTHS NOW
i know at least 100 iphone 3g users
at least
i work in midtown nyc where the walls stack upon dozens of other walls block ATT shitty tower service
Verizon gives less signal over all but calls rarely get dropped
i even now receive call's on the 1 train with verizon

so with massive buys in nyc and san fran of the 4phone there will be bad reception//
and apple does have a minor as of now signal blocked problem
a bumper is the answer maybe
i do not own an iphone
but i will now buy one today
32g wifi model black
ATT rates are not so bad and i download most of my stuff on my 15 in MBP
i will accept dropped calls
i may buy a verizon MIFI card to boost my signal

on the other hand ireland seemed cool for yrs now
and his first 10x posts made sence
yet he over blown cryBABY diatribes WHILE NOT EVEN OWNING A IPHONE 4
MACTIPPER STLYE TROLLING

ANYWAY maybe ireland had a bad day or something

apple had a good day

i will take the plunge today !!!!!

my wife is gonna shoot me !!!!!

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #168 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

OK, I try to make this as cordial as possible.

1) Reception problems be they hardware or software: It's clear that a number of people are having reception issues with the iPhone. Is it hardware, is it software? We don't know. However, it's a problem nonetheless for many people. Holding the iPhone in the same mannor as any other smartphone results in dropped bars, and for others, dropped calls and loss of internet connection/speed drops.

It is not acceptable to tell a customer that "You are holding it wrong" when it is the natural way that most people would hold their smartphone -- especially when Apple's promos show people holding the phone in the exact same way.

2) People complaining about their phone not working as advertised: A customer buys a product, it doesn't work as advertised, so they go to online forums to state their case and tell people that it is not working -- that seems perfectly logical to me. However, you have people here telling them to basically "stop causing trouble" and "stop defaming Apple".

I'm sorry, if the phone is having issues, why wouldn't you try to bring attention to that fact instead of shutting up and keeping quiet? What's the point of being passive about the matter? You buy a $200 or $300 device and you can't use it properly without holding it unnaturally? That's a big problem that needs to be addressed.

I even went to the Apple Store in Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh, NC to purchase a Bumper to try to alleviate the problem, but they were out of stock. I talked to a genius there about the reception problems and he acknowledged that customers were having problems. He had no answer as to how it would be fixed and said basically "Apple hasn't told us anything yet, so we don't have anything new to tell you at this moment".

3) If iPhone 4 sales numbers are through the roof, that means that this is a "non-issues": Again, this sounds ridiculous to me. The iPhone 4 is so popular that many people would buy them despite what problems it may have. Some people will buy an iPhone 4 and not have any problems at all. Some people may buy an iPhone 4, discover a reception problem, then change their habits to hold the phone in a different, unnatural way. Some people will buy an iPhone 4 and not care one way or the other.

But one thing still remains -- if there is an underlying problem with the phone that causes reception issues, blockbuster sales numbers do not change the fact that there is indeed a problem at hand.

4) "You can't talk bad about Apple, shut up! Stop being a crybaby. All that matters are sales numbers: When I hear comments like these, I can't help but think are you guys regular customers, or PR people for Apple or Apple shareholders. What regular customer do you know of that cares how many phones or computers some company sells? Most only care that the product that they receive works. I don't understand the need for people on these forums to stick up for Apple even if a problem has been detected.

It's almost as if some people here seem to think that any negativity towards Apple is going to affect their AAPL share prices. Here's a heads up, regular consumers don't give a crap about your share prices; they care about having a device that works.

in a week all this will be old hat
iphones have always dropped calls since 2008
nothing new
try best buy for the bumper
they are on the market for other phones .
good luck dude
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #169 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Godwin's law validated yet again.

But it's always validated after Cretin's Law, which states, "the faster and larger an online discussion grows, the probability of a civilized conversation based on the original topic approaches 0."

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #170 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Hate trolls?
Stop reading g3pro comments.

Bing!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #171 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

in a week all this will be old hat

I think you're right.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #172 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But it's always validated after Cretin's Law, which states, "the faster and larger an online discussion grows, the probability of a civilized conversation based on the original topic approaches 0."


I try to keep my discussions civil. Name calling and blowing your top rarely gets you anywhere
post #173 of 604
OK, so you accept that DED is the flack I portray him to be, but I didn't offer the evidence you needed to agree with me. My apologies - to be fair I'd hoped that most people would have worked that out for themselves, but I understand you've been busy trying to rid the internet of trolls and such and probably didn't have the time,



Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanTiger View Post

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question and I've got a vacation to get to.

That's ok. Have a great vacation.
post #174 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

OK, I try to make this as cordial as possible.

1) Reception problems be they hardware or software: It's clear that a number of people are having reception issues with the iPhone. Is it hardware, is it software? We don't know. However, it's a problem nonetheless for many people. Holding the iPhone in the same mannor as any other smartphone results in dropped bars, and for others, dropped calls and loss of internet connection/speed drops.

It is not acceptable to tell a customer that "You are holding it wrong" when it is the natural way that most people would hold their smartphone -- especially when Apple's promos show people holding the phone in the exact same way.

2) People complaining about their phone not working as advertised: A customer buys a product, it doesn't work as advertised, so they go to online forums to state their case and tell people that it is not working -- that seems perfectly logical to me. However, you have people here telling them to basically "stop causing trouble" and "stop defaming Apple".

I'm sorry, if the phone is having issues, why wouldn't you try to bring attention to that fact instead of shutting up and keeping quiet? What's the point of being passive about the matter? You buy a $200 or $300 device and you can't use it properly without holding it unnaturally? That's a big problem that needs to be addressed.

I even went to the Apple Store in Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh, NC to purchase a Bumper to try to alleviate the problem, but they were out of stock. I talked to a genius there about the reception problems and he acknowledged that customers were having problems. He had no answer as to how it would be fixed and said basically "Apple hasn't told us anything yet, so we don't have anything new to tell you at this moment".

3) If iPhone 4 sales numbers are through the roof, that means that this is a "non-issues": Again, this sounds ridiculous to me. The iPhone 4 is so popular that many people would buy them despite what problems it may have. Some people will buy an iPhone 4 and not have any problems at all. Some people may buy an iPhone 4, discover a reception problem, then change their habits to hold the phone in a different, unnatural way. Some people will buy an iPhone 4 and not care one way or the other.

But one thing still remains -- if there is an underlying problem with the phone that causes reception issues, blockbuster sales numbers do not change the fact that there is indeed a problem at hand.

4) "You can't talk bad about Apple, shut up! Stop being a crybaby. All that matters are sales numbers: When I hear comments like these, I can't help but think are you guys regular customers, or PR people for Apple or Apple shareholders. What regular customer do you know of that cares how many phones or computers some company sells? Most only care that the product that they receive works. I don't understand the need for people on these forums to stick up for Apple even if a problem has been detected.

It's almost as if some people here seem to think that any negativity towards Apple is going to affect their AAPL share prices. Here's a heads up, regular consumers don't give a crap about your share prices; they care about having a device that works.

That was an awesome post! I was in the middle of writing the same post in my head then read your and now I don't have to...

Thanks for expressing my thoughts.
I am not anti Apple. I have tons of their products in my home. I will continue to buy Apple products BUT they need to just step up to the plate and admit a problem and take the action to correct the problem. Whether that means a software update or a hardware replacement. This whole issue will not Apple from selling millions of phone world wide....it will not stop their bottom line from from going evermore into the black......

You can't just say you are holding it wrong when Steve in his keynote does the exact same thing. If this were any other company but Apple they would get a very public media bashing from everyone!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK37dysPPzU

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #175 of 604
It was fairly obvious that the way Steve Jobs was holding his iPhone in the announcement that he was having trouble with reception.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #176 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

A customer buys a product, it doesn't work as advertised, so they go to online forums to state their case and tell people that it is not working -- that seems perfectly logical to me. However, you have people here telling them to basically "stop causing trouble" and "stop defaming Apple".

I don't recall reading a single post where someone was bashed because they detailed their own experience with a broken iPhone. There are even posters who have tested all the phones in an Apple Store and found all of them having the same issue. Despite being anecdotal, they were stated civilly and tested in a more or less scientific way that furthers the obvious fact that there are iPhone 4s with reception problems.

Quote:
"You can't talk bad about Apple, shut up! Stop being a crybaby."

Again, I don't recall any civilized posters with reception problems being called "crybabies" or anything similar. If you have a problem, you return it. I certainly wouldn't put up that that issue. Knowing that there are iPhone 4s without this issue I wouldn't be satisfied with simply waiting for the SW fix rumoured for this Monday. I'd get a replacement phone, plain and simple.

Theories are not fact!
The only ones being called out are the ones trolling the forums making exaggerated hyperbolisms with absolute claims of worst-case-scenerio reasons, despite not owning and likely never even seeing the device in person. That is the only defense I've seen, and it has nothing to do with Apple but with defending logic and reason in the face of irrational unjustifiable assertions.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #177 of 604
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

OK, I try to make this as cordial as possible.

1) Reception problems be they hardware or software: It's clear that a number of people are having reception issues with the iPhone. Is it hardware, is it software? We don't know. However, it's a problem nonetheless for many people. Holding the iPhone in the same mannor as any other smartphone results in dropped bars, and for others, dropped calls and loss of internet connection/speed drops.

It is not acceptable to tell a customer that "You are holding it wrong" when it is the natural way that most people would hold their smartphone -- especially when Apple's promos show people holding the phone in the exact same way.

2) People complaining about their phone not working as advertised: A customer buys a product, it doesn't work as advertised, so they go to online forums to state their case and tell people that it is not working -- that seems perfectly logical to me. However, you have people here telling them to basically "stop causing trouble" and "stop defaming Apple".

I'm sorry, if the phone is having issues, why wouldn't you try to bring attention to that fact instead of shutting up and keeping quiet? What's the point of being passive about the matter? You buy a $200 or $300 device and you can't use it properly without holding it unnaturally? That's a big problem that needs to be addressed.

I even went to the Apple Store in Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh, NC to purchase a Bumper to try to alleviate the problem, but they were out of stock. I talked to a genius there about the reception problems and he acknowledged that customers were having problems. He had no answer as to how it would be fixed and said basically "Apple hasn't told us anything yet, so we don't have anything new to tell you at this moment".

3) If iPhone 4 sales numbers are through the roof, that means that this is a "non-issues": Again, this sounds ridiculous to me. The iPhone 4 is so popular that many people would buy them despite what problems it may have. Some people will buy an iPhone 4 and not have any problems at all. Some people may buy an iPhone 4, discover a reception problem, then change their habits to hold the phone in a different, unnatural way. Some people will buy an iPhone 4 and not care one way or the other.

But one thing still remains -- if there is an underlying problem with the phone that causes reception issues, blockbuster sales numbers do not change the fact that there is indeed a problem at hand.

4) "You can't talk bad about Apple, shut up! Stop being a crybaby. All that matters are sales numbers: When I hear comments like these, I can't help but think are you guys regular customers, or PR people for Apple or Apple shareholders. What regular customer do you know of that cares how many phones or computers some company sells? Most only care that the product that they receive works. I don't understand the need for people on these forums to stick up for Apple even if a problem has been detected.

It's almost as if some people here seem to think that any negativity towards Apple is going to affect their AAPL share prices. Here's a heads up, regular consumers don't give a crap about your share prices; they care about having a device that works.
post #178 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

You can't just say you are holding it wrong when Steve in his keynote does the exact same thing. If this were any other company but Apple they would get a very public media bashing from everyone!

If this was any other company than Apple nobody would give a rat's ass.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #179 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

.

Theories are not fact!
The only ones being called out are the ones trolling the forums making exaggerated hyperbolisms with absolute claims of worst-case-scenerio reasons, despite not owning and likely never even seeing the device in person. That is the only defense I've seen, and it has nothing to do with Apple but with defending logic and reason in the face of irrational unjustifiable assertions.

Exactly.

Thank you.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #180 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If this was any other company than Apple nobody would give a rat's ass.

You have a very good point there BTW.....
Apple does create a media buzz...but it seems they get a pass on the bad buzz....can you imagine if MS released a phone to such hype (i know wouldn't happen) and then it had these problems?
What kind of posts would we see here detailing how inept MS was and how it should have been fleshed out in R&D and live person testing (like in bars! :-))
Can you imagine Balmer or Gates during the launch of such a phone holding in his hands one way while doing his demo.....then coming out and publicly saying this was the WRONG way to hold the phone when the whole keynote presentation clearly shows everyone holding it the wrong way?
watch this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK37dysPPzU

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #181 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Exactly.

Thank you.

I am the biggest Apple supported there is. I brag about how great the Apple experience is and how they are the best products on the market. I have 2 iMacs a Macbook Pro a Macbook a iPad and 2 iPhones in my household right now.
BUT my new iPhone 4 looses signal from FULL signal to SEARCHING if I hold my phone wrong!!!!!!
Give me a break!!!!! How can anyone defend that! If I HOLD it wrong! C'mon give me a break...
Now to get full functionality of my iPhone 4 I have to BUY a $30 rubber bumper?????
That is just wrong!!!!! There is no way anyone can defend this glitch!!
My iPhone 3Gs worked flawlessly no matter how I held it.
And to think I waited 4 hours in 100 degree Arizona heat to get this design flaw.

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #182 of 604
I don't think the problem is the new antenna on the iPhone 4. I have a 3GS upgraded to iOS4 and I can replicate the exact same problem. I never had this happen with iPhone OS 3.x. Then again, I wasn't purposely trying to cause the problem either.
post #183 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

I don't think the problem is the new antenna on the iPhone 4. I have a 3GS upgraded to iOS4 and I can replicate the exact same problem. I never had this happen with iPhone OS 3.x. Then again, I wasn't purposely trying to cause the problem either.

I hope you are correct and they can release an update to correct the issue......
That would be ideal! :-)

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #184 of 604
Now I am a big fan of Apple products. Coming over from the dark side about 2 years ago I will discuss the merits of Apple technology with anyone and despite the snide remarks from Apple haters I remain polite and civil - I don't care if they have a strong emotional dislike for Cupertino's creations - I like the Apple products I have because of what they do and how they do it.

This position is made difficult by the frankly ridiculous comments being made here downplaying obvious issues that a material number of customers are having with their new iPhone. If they do not have a problem then fine - they don't have a problem. But to then attack and troll those who are experiencing issues is such an amazing own goal against the company that they purport to support that it is not outside the realms of possibility that it is they who are the Apple haters masquerading as fans.

So can everyone calm down a bit. I am trying to decide whether or not to spend a significant amount of money upgrading my 3G and frankly what is going to make me and other like me commit is some constructive conclusions about what is causing this issue and how it will be resolved. If I spend 500 pound sterling on a phone I do not want to be in a lottery to see if it functions effectively as a phone or not. Apologists like DED and articles using words like hysteria do nothing to change the facts that a company that has long prided itself on the high quality on its products and their interface with the user should not be making stupid statements about how the phone should be held. All said this is a mobile phone and there are some basic things a mobile phone should do in 2010 - the main one is to make and receive telephone calls reliably.
post #185 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Surely it's bad management to admit to ANYTHING without taking the time properly evaluate the situation. Blindly agreeing with some random people would arguably be a sign of very poor management and decision making skills. What COMPETENT manager would back themselves into a corner without the means of walking out of that corner?

It needs to be looked at carefully, not have totally flailing around with un-coordinated responses leading to no clear message being given.

exactly.
post #186 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

BUT my new iPhone 4 looses signal from FULL signal to SEARCHING if I hold my phone wrong!!!!!!
Give me a break!!!!! How can anyone defend that! If I HOLD it wrong! C'mon give me a break...

I have seen no poster here or elsewhere defend Jobs comment.

Quote:
My iPhone 3Gs worked flawlessly no matter how I held it.

How easy we forget. Apparently you don't remember last year and the two years before that with the iPhone reception issues. There is a long standing joke about the iPhone can do anything but make a phone call, but now you are claiming that 3GS (or 3Gs) have had no reception issues! That isn't just a claim that the previous iPhones were "flawless, but that AT&T and other carriers had no reception issues that could affect the iPhone's reception. You may want to rewrite that sentence because we both know it's not true.

Quote:
And to think I waited 4 hours in 100 degree Arizona heat to get this design flaw.

You had me going there at the beginning of your post. I thought you were trying to be objective, but then moved into falsehoods about previous iPhones not have reception issues despite clear evidence (even in this forum) that they do have signal attenuation when an object blocks the signal, but then move into the same trollish absolutism that it must be a design flaw and therefore a defect of all iPhone 4s, despite no such proof, and completely discounting the possibility that it could be a manufacturing issue. Seriously, shame on you.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #187 of 604
I am anticipating that trolls and haters will shortly begin a new line of attack: that Apple will change the display bars without fixing the underlying problem. The display will show 5 bars when the actual signal strength is 2 or 3 bars. Maybe they already have and I missed them.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #188 of 604
There is a problem is that the iPhone 4 is not delivering the level of excellence we have come to expect from Apple products. Whether this expectation is from past experience, Apple's own promises, media hype or anything else is irrelevant.

Yes, the "workaround" for the problem is holding the phone a different way or buying a cover.

The "solution" for the problem must still be provided by Apple. 9 times out of 10, they've responded well to such a challenge. Time will tell.

What we're seeing here with fans of Apple or Android is no different that what we see with Democrats and Republicans. Too much time is being spent on playing "gotcha" against the "other side" instead of having intelligent and honest conversation to make things better for everyone.
post #189 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaduGrama View Post

I hope they fix the broken bluetooth in 4.0.1 as well... Can't connect to my car any longer and it seems that there's a lot of people out there experiencing the same issue.

Sorry you are having problems. It connected to my car without a hitch. Took about 20 seconds.

"A lot of people"? I did a quick search through the posts and could find no other problems with Bluetooth syncing.
post #190 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Glenn Beck? Perhaps that's an American thing. You should explain.

Disingenuous? Hardly. I've already outed myself as being in the business.

I'm not discrediting AI at all. AI isn't Daniel Eran Dilger and his aliases.

I am pointing out that DED isn't an unbiased source of info though. Actually, if anyone here has paid some real attention to what he says and the inflammatory language he uses to say it, it would be really obvious to them. But hey... best you look at a few of his pieces and then tell me you disagree.

So you're wrong. My motives are exactly the same as yours - I feel the desire to express my opinions on a blog. I hold no Apple stock at this time although I have had in the past. Frankly, I don't have enough spare dineros to hold much of a holding in any stocks right now. But I own a beachfront cabin on a nice bay. (OK. It's a share. I don't own the whole thing).

I posted here after lurking for some years because this time Apple has fücked up and I can't believe that there are a core of people who are defending it. Like somehow it's OK to design some crummy unApple piece of kit and pretend that it's ok. It's not.

So I add my voice to the Apple customers who want to express the view that if there's a design fault in the iP4, Apple needs to come clean and fix it. Really fix it. Not apply some bandaid.

And of course to point out that DED is as much a journalist as I am. Which is to say, not.

But you needn't believe me. I'll remind people from time to time though.


I see that you are quite artful in dodging direct questions. Questions that deserve direct answers. Take this for instance:

Quote:
I hold no Apple stock at this time although I have had in the past. Frankly, I don't have enough spare dineros to hold much of a holding in any stocks right now.

You don't say if you are shorting Apple stock, you don't say if you own competitor's stock, you give no sense of how much "much" is. And you still refuse to divulge who you work for. This is hypocrisy indeed!

And, I also note that you still haven't denied your involvement with Glenn Beck in the murder of a girl in 1990. Very clever to use words that imply you don't know him without actually coming right out and denying your association with him.

You sir, look guiltier and guiltier by the second.
post #191 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have seen no poster here or elsewhere defend Jobs comment.


How easy we forget. Apparently you don't remember last year and the two years before that with the iPhone reception issues. There is a long standing joke about the iPhone can do anything but make a phone call, but now you are claiming that 3GS (or 3Gs) have had no reception issues! That isn't just a claim that the previous iPhones were "flawless, but that AT&T and other carriers had no reception issues that could affect the iPhone's reception. You may want to rewrite that sentence because we both know it's not true.


You had me going there at the beginning of your post. I thought you were trying to be objective, but then moved into falsehoods about previous iPhones not have reception issues despite clear evidence (even in this forum) that they do have signal attenuation when an object blocks the signal, but then move into the same trollish absolutism that it must be a design flaw and therefore a defect of all iPhone 4s, despite no such proof, and completely discounting the possibility that it could be a manufacturing issue. Seriously, shame on you.

Wow...So I had a 3Gs and it worked perfectly for me. I could hold it anyway I could hold it anyway I wanted. I could make calls and receive calls without issue.
I upgraded to a new iPhone 4. Now if I use my new phone exactly like my old phone I loose my signal. I am not comparing it to any other phone in the world or any other carrier in the world. My situation is that my 3Gs work great. My 4G looses signal if I hold it wrong. If I hold it exactly like Steve did in his keynote presentation I loose signal.
So I post about this issue here and now you are labeling me a troll? Did I get that part right? I did not post about any other situation. I did not post claiming Apple is doomed!
I did not post about how evil Steve was and put Apple down. Apple clearly has a problem with the 4G. The reports are all over the internet...some can be discounted and just plain negative hype but when you see that many reports then there is some fact to it...Apple customer are not just making it up.
So don't present me negatively because I am reporting that I have the signal loss issue. I am speaking from first hand experience. It is happening to me...
Checkout the Apple Support forums. There are others with the same issue.
But take the posts in the forums with a grain of salt...They do not generally post on the support forms to say all is well...
http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1378

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #192 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I am confused. How come none of the reviewers - David Pogue, Walt Mossberg, … - weren't having these issues?

Untill iPhone 5 we'll have to make pinched phone calls. It's yet another way to distinguish ourselves from the "others" making grabbed phone calls.

(1) The Pinch = using your Thumb, Index and Middle Finger (very feminine & sophisticated)
(2) The Grab = using your Hand (very masculine and android)

(3) The Earplugs = handsfree phone calls
(4) The Bumper = if you can't help but to grab your phone (like a REAL man). Agree, Apple should give one for free, or 30$ for a six pack with different colors.

Mossberg did mention it. He also said it didn't affect the call quality: - June 20, 2010-

"Yet, in some places where the signal was relatively weak, the iPhone 4 showed no bars, or fewer bars than its predecessor. Apple says that this is a bug it plans to fix, and that it has to do with the way the bars are presented, not the actual ability to make a call. And, in fact, in nearly all of these cases, the iPhone 4 was able to place calls despite the lack of bars. However, on at least six occasions during my tests, the new iPhone was either reporting "no service" or searching for a network while the old one, held in my other hand, was showing at least a couple of bars. Neither Apple nor AT&T could explain this."
In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Reply
In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Reply
post #193 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't recall reading a single post where someone was bashed because they detailed their own experience with a broken iPhone. There are even posters who have tested all the phones in an Apple Store and found all of them having the same issue. Despite being anecdotal, they were stated civilly and tested in a more or less scientific way that furthers the obvious fact that there are iPhone 4s with reception problems.


Again, I don't recall any civilized posters with reception problems being called "crybabies" or anything similar. If you have a problem, you return it. I certainly wouldn't put up that that issue. Knowing that there are iPhone 4s without this issue I wouldn't be satisfied with simply waiting for the SW fix rumoured for this Monday. I'd get a replacement phone, plain and simple.

Theories are not fact!
The only ones being called out are the ones trolling the forums making exaggerated hyperbolisms with absolute claims of worst-case-scenerio reasons, despite not owning and likely never even seeing the device in person. That is the only defense I've seen, and it has nothing to do with Apple but with defending logic and reason in the face of irrational unjustifiable assertions.


Just in this thread. I could go dig through the other threads as well, but I'm tired and hot from running errands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

At least the iPhone haters had their fun. Hopefully, the iPhone faithful will have the last laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

Unfortunately a number of under achievers are superb whiners. If they had ever achieved anything in their life, they would be holding it up as the way to to things right. None have.

Until they solve the problem, the whiners will get their chance to demonstrate their prowess at complaining about the achievements of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Yeah, flawless. I dont sit here and bitch about little "issues" which are really non-issues. Mine has worked well beyond my expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

I'm sorry to say but to all your Americans, having a fit over the "death grip", you are all stupid.

Stop over-reacting to silly little made up problems, silly girls!
post #194 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Just in this thread. I could go dig through the other threads as well, but I'm tired and hot from running errands.

The last two I'll give you. They can be construed as pointing to anyone with the issue as being whiners, but the first two read to me as focusing on those simply complaining to complain.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #195 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocummedia View Post

This issue is FRONT PAGE of all major newspapers...

Wrong. On Saturday, the LA Times has no such story on the front page. Neither does the Orange County Register. Nor the San Jose Mercury News.

http://www.latimes.com/includes/sectionfronts/A1.pdf

The Mercury News did have a glowing review of the iPhone 4 and did have a short mention of reception problems:

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/...nclick_check=1

I did notice a few times that holding my hand over the small black lines on the sides of the iPhone would lower its call signal strength a bit. But despite complaints to the contrary on Apple's customer support website, this didn't seem to affect call quality.
Despite the network issues, the iPhone 4 is a superb smartphone that makes most competing devices look old and boring. Whether you've been longing for an iPhone but haven't taken the plunge, or you already own an older model, you may not be able to resist the pull of Apple's latest — and greatest — iPhone hat trick.
post #196 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I am the biggest Apple supported there is. I brag about how great the Apple experience is and how they are the best products on the market. I have 2 iMacs a Macbook Pro a Macbook a iPad and 2 iPhones in my household right now.
BUT my new iPhone 4 looses signal from FULL signal to SEARCHING if I hold my phone wrong!!!!!!

Now go back and read why I said "exactly" to part of the post written by solipsism.

If you consider yourself a troll without a phone spewing out hatred and hyperbole... then fine... you're included... if you own a phone and have a legitimate beef... fine... but learn to read.

... btw... I've never seen Apple get a pass on any of their mistakes. The bs you've seen on here in the last few days is the exact type of bs you see every time Apple slips. Do you remember the wifi reception problems with the iPad? ... or is your memory as bad as your reading comprehension.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #197 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

Wrong. The LA Times has no such story on the front page.

http://www.latimes.com/includes/sectionfronts/A1.pdf

You're assuming that anyone outside of LA LA Land thinks the LA Times is a major newspaper.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #198 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

Mossberg did mention it. He also said it didn't affect the call quality: - June 20, 2010-

"Yet, in some places where the signal was relatively weak, the iPhone 4 showed no bars, or fewer bars than its predecessor. Apple says that this is a bug it plans to fix, and that it has to do with the way the bars are presented, not the actual ability to make a call. And, in fact, in nearly all of these cases, the iPhone 4 was able to place calls despite the lack of bars. However, on at least six occasions during my tests, the new iPhone was either reporting "no service" or searching for a network while the old one, held in my other hand, was showing at least a couple of bars. Neither Apple nor AT&T could explain this."

Where? All I see is him saying that it was still able to place calls in NEARLY all the cases. Which means there were some cases in which the call couldn't go through. He didn't say (at least in this quote) anything about the actual quality of a call. This issue apple was able to explain as a problem with how the bars are presented.

However, the end references a separate issue-- in which the phone showed no service or searching for service. This issue apple was not able to explain.
post #199 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

You're assuming that anyone outside of LA LA Land thinks the LA Times is a major newspaper.

It used to be. That's the saddest thing. Thank the Zells of Chicago for that.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #200 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Wow...So I had a 3Gs and it worked perfectly for me.

Mea culpa. You did refer your experience with your 3GS, not every 3GS.

Quote:
I upgraded to a new iPhone 4. Now if I use my new phone exactly like my old phone I loose my signal. I am not comparing it to any other phone in the world or any other carrier in the world. My situation is that my 3Gs work great. My 4G looses signal if I hold it wrong. If I hold it exactly like Steve did in his keynote presentation I loose signal.

I'd be getting a new one until this problem is resolved. I had to get 3 AppleTVs replaced within a month before I had one that worked right. I now have a mid-2010 13" MBP that doesn't come close to holding the battery charge for 10 hours and is incapable of resetting the PRAM. I'll be getting this fixed next week.

Quote:
So I post about this issue here and now you are labeling me a troll? Did I get that part right? I did not post about any other situation. I did not post claiming Apple is doomed!

Nope, never labeled you a troll. I said you weren't being objective by stating it is a "design flaw". This isn't binary labeling. There isn't just troll and objectivity. Nothing in your comments seem trollish to me.

Quote:
Checkout the Apple Support forums. There are others with the same issue.
But take the posts in the forums with a grain of salt...They do not generally post on the support forms to say all is well...
http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1378

I'm sure there are plenty of people with the issue. That isn't in question.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01