or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01 - Page 12

post #441 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's a duck, not a troll.

OK. Glad to see you've put the single Malt to bed and are back with a sense of humor.

Oh, and me Mum says she can still kick your arse.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #442 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Apple said they made "an entirely new alloy" or something like that for the steel-alloy frame. While the machining may be precise, could there be some variability in alloy composition, however small, that causes some variability in signal reception across different phones.

It looks like Apple was doing a lot of new things here, from the design, to the alloy, to the software, etc. They've taken big, big risks in making the next great iPhone.

At the end of the day, is there a design flaw? Or simply dud phones where the alloy/ coating/ whatever is out of regular specification? We'll see.

Just suggesting the use of a case on prototype models would have an effect on their testing. The evidence would suggest that.

However, it is a fact that having direct contact with an exposed antenna can cause interference under specific circumstances.

Just get a plastic case. You will get more reliable signal.
post #443 of 604
We upgraded all four phones in our family to the 16g 4G, and all are experiencing poorer cellular performance the 3G's and 3GS's they replaced. I'm not obsessed so much about the bars/GUI, but that, in the same areas at home and work and travelling, the new phones have a tougher time making, receiving, and handling onto calls, and I've had more people than in the past indicate the call sounded garbled (whether speaking via the handset or speaker phone).

We all can make the phones just about lose their signal by holding it in our bare hands. My kids are using their iSkins from their previous phone (loose, but good enough for now), but aren't experiencing any better call performance.

I hope this software fix is performance related more than cosmetic related, or I foresee some unpleasant time wasted at the genius bar.
post #444 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Apple said they made "an entirely new alloy" or something like that for the steel-alloy frame. While the machining may be precise, could there be some variability in alloy composition, however small, that causes some variability in signal reception across different phones.

It looks like Apple was doing a lot of new things here, from the design, to the alloy, to the software, etc. They've taken big, big risks in making the next great iPhone.

At the end of the day, is there a design flaw? Or simply dud phones where the alloy/ coating/ whatever is out of regular specification? We'll see.

Having dealt many times with demand exceeding manufacturing capabilities and what to do about it? My thoughts are that someone at FoxConn made the decision to speed up the production lines in order to meet the 600K+ pre-orders, which were probably in the range of 2X what was expected. When something like that gets implemented, the line supervisors sometimes start jockeying for even more ways to get more units out the door. Forgetting to complete, or even eliminating, steps such as the clear coat on the exposed antennae band makes complete sense to me.

Again, time will tell. But it would certainly help to explain why some units seem perfect, and others not so much so. As it stands I am certainly glad that my personal phone won't arrive for 3 more weeks.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #445 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Actually, the phone takes into account signal quality and interference with an averaging algorithm when it comes to displaying the signal strength as bars.

If you have a consistent 5 bar reception, the phone is telling you that you have better reception than 4 or 3 or 2 or 1 or no bars. ON AVERAGE.


There are variations, of course, and the larger variations in signal strength and quality you have, the lower bars you will have.

For example, if you are in an area with high noise to signal ratio, there are times when you will have good signal strength and quality and other times when it is bad signal quality. However the phone averages this out and displays 3 bars. Or 2 bars.

Actually no they don't. They just report the strongest signal.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #446 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

We upgraded all four phones in our family to the 16g 4G, and all are experiencing poorer cellular performance the 3G's and 3GS's they replaced. I'm not obsessed so much about the bars/GUI, but that, in the same areas at home and work and travelling, the new phones have a tougher time making, receiving, and handling onto calls, and I've had more people than in the past indicate the call sounded garbled (whether speaking via the handset or speaker phone).

We all can make the phones just about lose their signal by holding it in our bare hands. My kids are using their iSkins from their previous phone (loose, but good enough for now), but aren't experiencing any better call performance.

I hope this software fix is performance related more than cosmetic related, or I foresee some unpleasant time wasted at the genius bar.

This is very similar to what Walt Mossberg said in his review where he basically blamed AT&T and threw them under the bus. Apple however did tell Mossberg that there is a known software bug that would be released soon to correct the issue so I believe them.

Apple is the last company that I think would hide real problems with a cosmetic software patch. They take their engineering very seriously and have always been trust worthy.

In all honesty, while I do see this issue it really has not affected me at all from a functionality point of view. I'll be patient and trust that Apple will fix the issue.

Time will tell.
post #447 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I'm tired of reading clueless crap from people who don't know what they're talking about.

No doubt, some people are experiencing real problems - and those people should take the problem phone back to Apple and get it exchanged for a new one.

But the real clueless people are like ones here who go to the Apple store and squeeze 12 phones to watch the display change without bothering to see if it really affected the devices performance. I have a 3Gs and an iPhone 4. They both show the screwy meter thing when gripped, yet they both work just fine even when the display says "No Service".

That sure as heck sounds like a software bug to me.

Again, if you are one of the minority who is having an actual hardware issue - take the phone back to Apple. They will fix or replace it. Stuff happens. But moaning on the Internet won't solve anything other than furthering the noise level.

Quote:
People are having real problems, respect them or expect to be told you're ignorant.

I don't have to respect people who are flat out wrong because they take information from the Internet, misconstrue it and then further repeat the bad information. And disagreeing with someone doesn't equate a lack of respect either - it's not a binary proposition.

Let's look at it a different way. If this wasn't Gizmodo just starting more $h!t but a sincere and real problem - say a systemic design flaw as some have hysterically claimed in this and other forums - with over a million sales, don't you think actual iPhone 4 owners would be coming out of the wood work in droves?

If it was really a systemic design flaw, you would see major news organizations reporting it with their own research, interviews and follow up - instead of pointing to "online reports".

We don't see any of that. It's another internet tempest in the teapot. It's like the game telephone - but on steroids because there are tens of thousands of people with nothing better to do than endlessly gossip.

The level of furor over this is what is ignorant. For the vast majority of people, this is a total non-issue. It more than likely is EXACTLY what Apple claimed it is - a software issue. I realize conspiracy theories and "Apple is Dooooomed!" are far more entertaining, but still believe that Occam's razor applies far more often than not (and certainly in this case as well).
post #448 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawnr View Post

I do have an iPhone 4, thank you very much. See my previous posts. I'm finding the immaturity displayed by some members of this forum to be somewhat pathetic. Any criticism of Apple or their products leads to one of their pet Chihuahua biting at your ankles. You obviously aren't affected by the problems, but why are you so quick to deny that others are?

I'm not denying that others all. What I am denying is that the issue is pervasive to every phone and that Apple is Doooomed. I am stating that the issue has been totally overblown. With over a million devices out there, if it was a wide-spread and systemic flaw this story wouldn't have rolled off the major media sites, and the major news media would be doing far more than linking to other online sites as their citation.

Again, if there are people who feel they have a real hardware problem with their iPhone 4, take it back to Apple. If there is a problem, they will fix or replace it. I have owned many different Apple devices and they are by far and away the most liberal with their repair policies of any consumer electronics company I have dealt with.
post #449 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Actually no they don't. They just report the strongest signal.

You are proven wrong in the videos which show degradation of signal to zero bars on the iPhone 4.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #450 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post

source: http://www.thomas-fitzgerald.net/201...gy-journalism/

Excellent article and spot on. Thank you for linking.

Quote:
Don't be fools. Utilize your skepticism. Don't make sweeping conclusions based on fractured reports that have no frame of reference.

You might as well tell people to stop gossiping about their neighbors
post #451 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller_007 View Post

Remember that the stolen iPhone purchased by Gizmodo was in a modded 3GS case. I would wager that for secrecy purposes most field testing for iPhones was performed with cases on, so Apple was never aware how serious this problem really was.

What you are implying is that Apple is very stupid - too stupid to anticipate a simple facet of antenna design. I refer back to Occam's razor - I think by the success of them as a company, we can throw that assumption right out the window. The affects of body mass on an antenna is one of the very first things focused on by cell phone producers.

We have blog postings from people like Spencer Webb who is an expert in his field stating he doesn't see an issue with the design, and yet keyboard jockeys such as yourself continue to cling to the notion it's a big cover up?

Please! A little perspective here. As was posted earlier, you really need to read this article and breathe a little: http://www.thomas-fitzgerald.net/201...gy-journalism/
post #452 of 604
[QUOTE=g3pro;1661865]Loss of reception while dialing out?
Avoid using the phone for phone calls.

Dropped calls in San Francisco?
Avoid going to San Francisco.

Playhouse Disney (or other flash site) doesn't work in the browser?
Avoid going to that site.

Screen gets smudged?
Avoid touching the screen.

Hate getting ripped off for expensive junk?
Stop buying Apple products./QUOTE]

Yeah, Apple sells junk. That's what they sell. And their junk is so popular they're the biggest consumer products company on Earth,

:::YAWN::: Another day, another desperate, full-of-himself clown in love with his own empty voice.
post #453 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Yeah, Apple sells junk. That's what they sell. And their junk is so popular they're the biggest consumer products company on Earth,

What do you call a phone that can't make phone calls? The answer is self-explanatory.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #454 of 604
In my basement, I normally see 5 bars, and the death grip is very effective in many repeated trials. At a downtown location (indoors but above ground) with 5 bars seen, the death grip worked very effectively as well. Outdoors away from home or upstairs in my home, 5 bars were seen and the death grip reduced the number of bars but did not kill reception.

The 850 MHz band penetrates building walls best and is the band on which AT&T often/typically provides 3G service. I've read some user reports of service dropping to EDGE with the death grip invoked. EDGE service is often/typically provided by AT&T on a higher frequency band which does not penetrate walls as well. This suggests the death grip kills 850 MHz reception and that in many locations--such as some indoor locations but not all--850 MHz is the only signal available. Sometimes the iPhone 4 might be able to latch onto the higher frequency but it simply fails to make the switch. Part of this process would involve the iPhone 4 switching its own transmissions to the higher frequency. If the iPhone doesn't send a strong enough signal to penetrate the building walls and reach a cell tower, then a switch to the higher frequency would fail.

Unfortunately Apple removed the field test mode from iOS4.
post #455 of 604
Walt's review right before the storm!

"However, on at least six occasions during my tests, the new iPhone was either reporting no service or searching for a network while the old one, held in my other hand, was showing at least a couple of bars. Neither Apple nor AT&T could explain this. The iPhone 4 quickly recovered in these situations, showing service after a few seconds, but it was still troubling."


post #456 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

What you are implying is that Apple is very stupid - too stupid to anticipate a simple facet of antenna design. I refer back to Occam's razor - I think by the success of them as a company, we can throw that assumption right out the window. The affects of body mass on an antenna is one of the very first things focused on by cell phone producers.

We have blog postings from people like Spencer Webb who is an expert in his field stating he doesn't see an issue with the design, and yet keyboard jockeys such as yourself continue to cling to the notion it's a big cover up?

Please! A little perspective here. As was posted earlier, you really need to read this article and breathe a little: http://www.thomas-fitzgerald.net/201...gy-journalism/

if that is so, then why is Steve telling everyone they are holding it wrong?
post #457 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

We have blog postings from people like Spencer Webb who is an expert in his field stating he doesn't see an issue with the design

I guess you didn't really read his blog post, because he does see an issue with the design, even if he did choose to buy an iPhone 4.
post #458 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

What do you call a poster who continually refuses to acknowledge their errors?

When you can't defend Apple for its lapse in the design of the antenna or software, you can only resort to personal attacks. This is not surprising, because Apple's lapse is truly indefensible. It should never, ever have been made in a shipping product. This is an embarrassment to the company.

Even Walt Mossberg has the same problems with reception. I suppose you are going to call him an idiot, troll, and delusional as well.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #459 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

The science of this is fairly easy to understand. When you touch a naked antenna you change its impedance (its natural resistance to the flow of electrons) and resonant frequency (think tuning fork). This can have unpredictable results. This is why almost all consumer electronics have insulated antennas. The insulation protects the tuning of the antenna. In some radio systems, under specific conditions touching the antenna can cause the radio to stop working completely and can even eventually damage the receiver.

Apple just made things a little difficult for themselves by designing an antenna that you normally touch.

In the case of the iPhone 4, the gradual drop in signal can be explained by the digital tuners inability, (through reasons of hardware or software) to correctly adjust to the change caused by making physical contact with a particular part of the antenna.

When you touch an antenna, you create a shift in impedance at the point of contact. This creates standing waves. Think of a river rapid where the river changes in shape. large, permanent waves can form around boulders or anything else that resists the flow of water. Your finger has a different resistance than the antenna on the iPhone, therefore it creates a point of electrical resistance where standing waves can form, and this can seriously mess with the iPhones tuning.

Basically, these standing waves cause electrical energy to be reflected back into the transmitter, and prevent electrical energy from reaching the receiver. This also changes the resonant frequency of the antenna and causes a slight shift in tuning.

Radios tune by filtering out all other frequencies. iPhones are designed to work on several frequencies (850, 900, 1800, 1900, 2100) MHz. Touching the antenna will affect it differently at different frequencies which explains why some people see the problem go away when disabling 3g or when they can't replicate the problem at all.

Different people will have different electrical properties so the problem may affect some more than others. Another factor is the iPhone itself. No two objects are the same. A slight difference in the antenna's natural resonance and impedance could explain why some phones are affected more than others.

Bingo! Give the man a cigar.

With the change in impedance comes a change in the efficiency of the antenna, which is already a compromise to deal with the different frequencies which the phone utilizes. When some portion of the hand bridges the two separate portions of the metal frame/antennas an additional complication is thrown in.

Then, of course, there is also the phenomena of the hand blocking the signal.
post #460 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Well, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck?

Bingo...
post #461 of 604
Here's an update. I was able to somewhat resolve my issues by purchasing a Griffin case from Best Buy (looks a little like the Apple Bumper case, except that it has a clear piece that covers the back).

My download speeds still take a bit of a hit, and the upload speeds take a MAJOR hit, but it's not nearly as bad as using it naked with the death grip. This will have to do until Apple fixes this problem.

My new results with the case using the Death Grip:



For comparison, holding it with an open palm (no case):




Death Grip (no case):

post #462 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post

if that is so, then why is Steve telling everyone they are holding it wrong?

1) He wasn't telling "everyone", he sent an email to one person, and it's more than likely he was being sarcastic.

2) The email may not even be from Steve, and even if it was, we are not privy to the entire exchange. Who knows if it was taken out of context?

3) And even if it is a real email from Steve and it is the sum of the total exchange between him and the person who re-posted it, it's far from an official Apple technical support position. It was an email to a single person. To construe that "Steve is telling everyone" is simply ridiculous.

Steve standing on a stage in front of the media and everyone else is "Steve telling everyone"

Unfortunately all this will probably do is get Steve to once again stop responding to people's email, electing a further chorus of complaints about Apple being "secretive"
post #463 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I guess you didn't really read his blog post, because he does see an issue with the design, even if he did choose to buy an iPhone 4.

I guess you didn't read his blog post because there are issues with any design.

There is no such thing as a perfect design - they are all a sum of compromises. From his post:

Quote:
So, what's an iPhone lover to do? Well, I voted with my dollars. I ordered my iPhone 4 to replace my Original. I already know how to do the Vulcan Antenna Grip on the iPhone, and I am wearing out my current model.

And sometimes an antenna that's not great, but good enough, is good enough.

If it was this "fatal flaw" that the chicken littles were running around in hysterics about I doubt he would have ordered one, esp. with his level of knowledge. If anyone was going to hold off buying because of a concern in the antenna design it would be him!

Is basic logic really this hard?
post #464 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

OK. Glad to see you've put the single Malt to bed and are back with a sense of humor.

Oh, and me Mum says she can still kick your arse.

I had your Mum, she wasn't that good.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #465 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

This is very similar to what Walt Mossberg said in his review where he basically blamed AT&T and threw them under the bus. Apple however did tell Mossberg that there is a known software bug that would be released soon to correct the issue so I believe them.

That's the cosmetic bug.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #466 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I guess you didn't read his blog post because there are issues with any design.

You seem to be reading only the parts that support a pro-Apple bias.

"The iPhone 4, however, moved the antenna action from the back of the phone to the sides. This probably improves the isotropy of the radiation pattern, but only when the phone is suspended magically in air. Not too helpful. Putting this iPhone 4 in your pocket will likely couple more energy into your body (you bag of salt water, you) than did the first generation model. Yep, I predict it will be worse."


Quote:
Is basic logic really this hard?

LOL! Are the facts so difficult to accept that you're not using logic? "Issues" have different characteristics and different degrees. Spencer Webb doesn't even discuss the death grip. As his post is dated June 24th, I'd hazard to guess he wrote it before the issue became well publicized.
post #467 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

What do you call a phone that can't make phone calls? The answer is self-explanatory.

A touch gamer.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #468 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

Walt's review right before the storm!

"However, on at least six occasions during my tests, the new iPhone was either reporting no service or searching for a network while the old one, held in my other hand, was showing at least a couple of bars. Neither Apple nor AT&T could explain this. The iPhone 4 quickly recovered in these situations, showing service after a few seconds, but it was still troubling."



Yeah I've seen that, he was using it naked but didn't know about the corner so he couldn't pin-point it. The fact that that was one of the only 5 review units Apple gave to the world is very troubling.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #469 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post

if that is so, then why is Steve telling everyone they are holding it wrong?

Forget about it, you won't penetrate their Kool Aid ears.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #470 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

When you can't defend Apple for its lapse in the design of the antenna or software, you can only resort to personal attacks. This is not surprising, because Apple's lapse is truly indefensible. It should never, ever have been made in a shipping product. This is an embarrassment to the company.

Even Walt Mossberg has the same problems with reception. I suppose you are going to call him an idiot, troll, and delusional as well.

Why is it all the seasoned well-respected members of this forum have a similar view point to this, and all the people who defended the issue are registered either a week or barely a year?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #471 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Bingo...

You know nothing about it, Sonny. I like Apple's stuff, I ain't no troll.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #472 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

1) He wasn't telling "everyone", he sent an email to one person, and it's more than likely he was being sarcastic.

Steve is Mr. sarcasm now. Well that that case it all makes sense. Bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

2) The email may not even be from Steve, and even if it was, we are not privy to the entire exchange. Who knows if it was taken out of context?

Open your eyes. You are making excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

3) And even if it is a real email from Steve and it is the sum of the total exchange between him and the person who re-posted it, it's far from an official Apple technical support position. It was an email to a single person. To construe that "Steve is telling everyone" is simply ridiculous.

Steve standing on a stage in front of the media and everyone else is "Steve telling everyone"

You are too funny.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #473 of 604
Apparently some people are too freaking STUPID to accept the fact that people like me are having the same issues with the 3GS.

Get over the "how you're holding the phone" stupidity, and no I don't care what Steve Jobs said with the limited information that he had at the time that he said it.

Same issue on 3GS after upgrading to iOS 4 = software issue.
post #474 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by eminent View Post

Apparently some people are too freaking STUPID to accept the fact that people like me are having the same issues with the 3GS.

People are not too stupid. Signal attenuation is common. This is a different issue. The antenna is touching your hand and the phone completely freezes up in a lot of cases. This is a separate issue. Or perhaps you're too stupid and don't already know this?

It's not the same issue.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #475 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

People are not too stupid. Signal attenuation is common. This is a different issue. The antenna is touching your hand and the phone completely freezes up in a lot of cases. This is a separate issue. Or perhaps you're too stupid and don't already know this?

It's not the same issue.

People are too stupid.

My 3GS also freezes more now than it did before. And the bars drop to 1 or it switches to Edge in places it was always 3G.
post #476 of 604
Well I tells ya, Apple had better get that update out by Monday for real. And it had better be a flawless solution.
post #477 of 604
how many here use their iphones naked, no case???

exactly, get a case

i worry more about dropping it then the signal issues

get a case

now if some cases do more to protect from this well let us here it.

mine is two tone silicone that wraps around the top and bottom of the front about a 1/2 inch, love it
and it is rubbery enough that it gives me a good grip and is colorful

get a case
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #478 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I had your Mum, she wasn't that good.

Funny, that's exactly what she said about you!

Err, about 30 seconds after she performed a Lorena Bobbitt on ya for being so annoying lately.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #479 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yet another seasoned member of the forums keeping it real. What's with these newly registered users who are bat-shit crazy? And who hate anyone pointing out anything bad about this new iPhone.

They just paid several hundred dollars for the allegedly best smartphone on the market. It's bound to happen that some customers given the choice between having to admit to themselves that their enthusiasm might have been not fully warranted or going into full denial mode and lashing out verbally at anybody who threatens ones own conviction will chose the later. This phenomenon is hardly limited to cell phones.

More worrisome though is, that there are actually people who take Daniel Eran Dilger/Prince McLean seriously and not for the (paid or unpaid) propganda writer that he is.
post #480 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Here's an update. I was able to somewhat resolve my issues by purchasing a Griffin case from Best Buy (looks a little like the Apple Bumper case, except that it has a clear piece that covers the back).

My download speeds still take a bit of a hit, and the upload speeds take a MAJOR hit, but it's not nearly as bad as using it naked with the death grip. This will have to do until Apple fixes this problem.

My new results with the case using the Death Grip: ...

So, instead of just holding it slightly differently, you'd rather put a case on it and cut your upload speed in half and take a big chunk out of your download speed as well?

That's crazy IMO.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01