or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01 - Page 13

post #481 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I guess you didn't really read his blog post, because he does see an issue with the design, even if he did choose to buy an iPhone 4.

I think you read the article wrong. I just read the whole thing and I don't see where he says there is an issue with the design of the iPhone 4 antenna. He more or less describes the same issue with all cellphones which is pretty much what Apple is saying.
post #482 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

<snip>mine is two tone silicone that wraps around the top and bottom of the front about a 1/2 inch, love it and it is rubbery enough that it gives me a good grip and is colorful <snip>

Would you mind mentioning just which one it is?

Thanks
post #483 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

So, instead of just holding it slightly differently, you'd rather put a case on it and cut your upload speed in half and take a big chunk out of your download speed as well?

That's crazy IMO.

I bought the case to see if it would solve the problem -- it doesn't solve it completely, but it doesn't give me dropped calls or seriously hamper my internet speeds (uploads with the case on are more in line with my 3GS) when holding it comfortably.

Besides, I paid $2 for it after using a $10 Reward Zone coupon and some leftovers from a Best Buy gift card that I had, so it's not like it was a huge investment.

I'd much rather Apple fix the problem than use a case, but this will work FOR NOW until Apple fixes this issue.

As for me holding it a different way, I simply can't train myself to hold the phone differently than I've held every other smartphone I've had for the past 2-3 years.
post #484 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think you read the article wrong. I just read the whole thing and I don't see where he says there is an issue with the design of the iPhone 4 antenna. He more or less describes the same issue with all cellphones which is pretty much what Apple is saying.

And I'm holding the iPhone wrong, too. You missed the part where he says he expects the iPhone 4 antenna to be "worse" (his exact description) in the context of signal attenuation by the body; and you should note he doesn't even touch on the death grip issue, presumably because it wasn't well publicized by the time he wrote his post. Why is anybody using Webb's post to support the notion that nothing is wrong with the iPhone 4 antenna?
post #485 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Actually, the phone takes into account signal quality and interference with an averaging algorithm when it comes to displaying the signal strength as bars.

If you have a consistent 5 bar reception, the phone is telling you that you have better reception than 4 or 3 or 2 or 1 or no bars. ON AVERAGE.


There are variations, of course, and the larger variations in signal strength and quality you have, the lower bars you will have.

For example, if you are in an area with high noise to signal ratio, there are times when you will have good signal strength and quality and other times when it is bad signal quality. However the phone averages this out and displays 3 bars. Or 2 bars.

Actually, no it doesn't:

http://www.switched.com/2008/01/15/w...y-really-mean/
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
Reply
post #486 of 604
I believe it's simply a baseband issue. Perhaps with the new antenna design, they changed the baseband and it got screwed up somehow.

What if Apple releases a software fix (4.0.1) tomorrow and it completely solves the problem? What happens to all the people screaming that it was definitely a hardware problem and impossible to fix with software. You do know that software controls the hardware right?

Do any of us know how Apple made the iPhone and especially how they coded it? I didn't think so.

So since everyone has theories... they don't really know exactly what the "real" fix is.

I'm sure we'll find out next week.
post #487 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Funny, that's exactly what she said about you!

Err, about 30 seconds after she performed a Lorena Bobbitt on ya for being so annoying.

Ok, enough with the abuse.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #488 of 604
Just like Dr. Venkman's esp test in Ghostbusters.

post #489 of 604
[QUOTE=Mister Snitch;1662830]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Loss of reception while dialing out?
Avoid using the phone for phone calls.

Dropped calls in San Francisco?
Avoid going to San Francisco.

Playhouse Disney (or other flash site) doesn't work in the browser?
Avoid going to that site.

Screen gets smudged?
Avoid touching the screen.

Hate getting ripped off for expensive junk?
Stop buying Apple products./QUOTE]

Yeah, Apple sells junk. That's what they sell. And their junk is so popular they're the biggest consumer products company on Earth,

:::YAWN::: Another day, another desperate, full-of-himself clown in love with his own empty voice.

That really says nothing.

People are still buying tobacco, junk food... even if everyone know what is it worth.
post #490 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaz View Post

I believe it's simply a baseband issue. Perhaps with the new antenna design, they changed the baseband and it got screwed up somehow.

What if Apple releases a software fix (4.0.1) tomorrow and it completely solves the problem? What happens to all the people screaming that it was definitely a hardware problem and impossible to fix with software. You do know that software controls the hardware right?

Do any of us know how Apple made the iPhone and especially how they coded it? I didn't think so.

So since everyone has theories... they don't really know exactly what the "real" fix is.

I'm sure we'll find out next week.

I can recall handful of Apple software updates expected to fix various iMac and other Apple products' problems that failed to do so... so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Luckily for me, I was not planning at all to get iPhone 4 - my 32GB 3Gs is still less than a year old, so version 4 was destined to be skipped anyway.

I do have another gripe with Apple, though - I've updated my 3Gs with iOS4 only to find out I don't care for improvements, but I do care for worst phone performance and worst battery life. Both are not critical but I'd prefer to revert back to previous iOS, however Apple is not letting that happen.
post #491 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And that is why yours and others diagnosis is irrational and fallacious. If it's a design flaw then it would be happening to all iPhone 4s. It's not, so it's something else.

That's not strictly true. You can have a design flaw that doesn't exhibit itself on all units or in all conditions.

I just find it amusing that folks believe that Apple engineers wouldn't have known about this without putting in some kind of mitigation. If so, there soon will be a new halloween legend in Cupertino about ghostly handless engineers cursed to endlessly circle Infinite Loop while trying to hold an iPhone with no hands...

Folks will wonder why the basketball court needed resurfacing when it was already in great shape and whatever happened to Bob and Larry on the iPhone antenna team...
post #492 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

And I'm holding the iPhone wrong, too. You missed the part where he says he expects the iPhone 4 antenna to be "worse" (his exact description) in the context of signal attenuation by the body; and you should note he doesn't even touch on the death grip issue, presumably because it wasn't well publicized by the time he wrote his post. Why is anybody using Webb's post to support the notion that nothing is wrong with the iPhone 4 antenna?

It's because they think the problem is specifically the position of the antenna being at the bottom of the phone and not because Apple moved the leads from the back to the frame. We really don't know the details on how Apple field tested this phone other than it one time went to a bar and got lost/stolen. It could be that the field testing had the fake 3gs cover on it which prevented the attenuation that we are seeing now. It could also be that AT&T with the promise of further iPhone exclusivity "tuned" the network to favor the test iPhones on the network and give them priority over other network devices.
post #493 of 604
Looks like Ireland's not the only one infuriated by the iPhone 4 antenna "calamity".

http://vimeo.com/12858526
post #494 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Looks like Ireland's not the only one infuriated by the iPhone 4 antenna "calamity".

http://vimeo.com/12858526

Lmfao!!!
post #495 of 604
on network TV. Each and every person in the commercial was holding it "wrong".
post #496 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Looks like Ireland's not the only one infuriated by the iPhone 4 antenna "calamity".

http://vimeo.com/12858526

I'm still crying! Brilliantly done.
post #497 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Ok, enough with the abuse.

Hey, just trying to get you out of your self-imposed funk.

I think everyone here would just like the old Ireland back.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #498 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

That's not strictly true. You can have a design flaw that doesn't exhibit itself on all units or in all conditions.

As stated, I don't see how that is possible. If it's a design flaw causing a "short circuit" when you touch the other antenna then the operating band in use or RF signal strength would not affect it's ability to "short circuit" simply because the antenna is exposed.

I've previously stated that I can see an issue with the Triquint chip, which in itself could be a flawed design that is causing problems with certain spectrums and signal strengths. This, however, would not a design flaw of the iPhone, but of the TriQuint chip. I think this is a worst case scenario which makes it less likely to be the issue but this would be a reason to recall the iPhone 4.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #499 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

I think everyone here would just like the old Ireland back.

Agreed.

When you start getting compared to TeckStud and you have SpotOn/MacTripper in your corner (until he got banned, yet again) you need ask yourself if you're being reasonable.

Hopefully in the next couple days things will be back to normal and I'm sure by the time the iPhone 4 hits the shores of Ireland proper he'll be first in line and first to agree this is the by far the best iPhone Apple has ever made and the best smartphone money can buy.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #500 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As stated, I don't see how that is possible.

Sure...take for example the design flaw in the space shuttle SRB...it only happened in specific circumstances (cold weather). Burn though didn't happen every time...but it was still a design flaw in the SRB.

Quote:
If it's a design flaw causing a "short circuit" when you touch the other antenna then the operating band in use or RF signal strength would not affect it's ability to "short circuit" simply because the antenna is exposed.

Unless heat, humidity, skin salinity, signal strength, frequency, distance to tower, etc affects the outcome. Could be the designed mitigation for RF interference doesn't work in all real world conditions.

That said, the most consistent way for me to reproduce this bug is the use a penny. My palm isn't conductive enough to reliably reproduce the effect.
post #501 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Sure...take for example the design flaw in the space shuttle SRB...it only happened in specific circumstances (cold weather). Burn though didn't happen every time...but it was still a design flaw in the SRB.

Unless heat, humidity, skin salinity, signal strength, frequency, distance to tower, etc affects the outcome. Could be the designed mitigation for RF interference doesn't work in all real world conditions.

That said, the most consistent way for me to reproduce this bug is the use a penny. My palm isn't conductive enough to reliably reproduce the effect.

Yet, I can cover all the scenarios you mention and still not recreate the issue. I've gone so far as to use wet hands dipped in salty water as well as use conductive metals to bridge the gap. Therefore it cannot possibly be design flaw causing a short circuit from using an external antenna. That is busted. If Apple recalls every single iPhone 4 and comes out with a design that encases the antenna in plastic or rubber, perhaps by offering free Bumpers to all iPhone 4 users, then I'll concede that it's a design flaw that affects all iPhone 4s.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #502 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yet, I can cover all the scenarios you mention and still not recreate the issue. I've gone so far as to use wet hands dipped in salty water as well as use conductive metals to bridge the gap. Therefore it cannot possibly be design flaw causing a short circuit from using an external antenna. That is busted. If Apple recalls every single iPhone 4 and comes out with a design that encases the antenna in plastic or rubber, perhaps by offering free Bumpers to all iPhone 4 users, then I'll concede that it's a design flaw that affects all iPhone 4s.

I don't think it's really possible to reproduce this issue reliably because there are too many variables. Manufacturing variances, changes in signal frequency, changes in interference...

Maybe the problem only occurs at a specific frequency or maybe only when there is a specific type of interference.

I am almost sure the issue is caused by standing waves which occur when the exposed antenna is held with bare hands. Apple can change the software to help filter out this type of interference. I think they can sort a lot of it out with software but I'm willing to bet there will always be some issues having the antenna exposed like this.
post #503 of 604
You're all WRONG. There are no reception issues.
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/27/...ue-stay-tuned/

Boy, Steve is taking some more big risks here with what is conceivably Apple's flagship product. I think he should let Apple PR and engineers handle this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

I don't think it's really possible to reproduce this issue reliably because there are too many variables. Manufacturing variances, changes in signal frequency, changes in interference...

Maybe the problem only occurs at a specific frequency or maybe only when there is a specific type of interference.

I am almost sure the issue is caused by standing waves which occur when the exposed antenna is held with bare hands. Apple can change the software to help filter out this type of interference. I think they can sort a lot of it out with software but I'm willing to bet there will always be some issues having the antenna exposed like this.
post #504 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Agreed.

When you start getting compared to TeckStud and you have SpotOn/MacTripper in your corner (until he got banned, yet again) you need ask yourself if you're being reasonable.

Hopefully in the next couple days things will be back to normal and I'm sure by the time the iPhone 4 hits the shores of Ireland proper he'll be first in line and first to agree this is the by far the best iPhone Apple has ever made and the best smartphone money can buy.

Things could get a little uglier before they get better. As much as I want the old Ireland back, we'll have to deal with this first and see what comes of it (if verified)

STAY TUNED. NO RECEPTION ISSUES.
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/27/...ue-stay-tuned/
post #505 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubiousutility View Post

To determine whether this is just a problem with the software measurement of the signal strength, I tested the actual data throughput speed in both unheld and held states. The impact of holding the iPhone in your hand is SEVERE, cutting up/down speeds to a fraction of their unheld potential. Here are the results.



Maybe/hopefully this can be fixed in software, but it's not just about measurement in the UI, nor is it a typical issue that affects all phones.

Death grip issues aside (which are present on my shiny new iPhone 4 too), I find AT&T's speed test results pretty interesting. Here in the UK I get at best about half that on 3G (through O2's network).

AT&T it seems, aren't all bad then.
post #506 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

To members in the UK, is your iPhone 4 suffering from any of these problems?

Mine's fine if not even better than my 3G. I read a lot about these issues but I can honestly say all my iPhones have worked beautifully. The 3G is on O2, the 4 is on Vodafone and seems even better. Maybe due to the new antenna?

All these connection issues seem to be isolated to the US, well at least from my reading. Any feedback on UK iPhones would be great.

My UK iPhone 4 is on O2 and I can drop the reception from 5 bars of 3G to 1 bar of GPRS by holding the phone in a normal way. It takes a couple of minutes to completely deteriorate, but it usually gets there. Sometimes I've even managed to knock it offline completely.

Funny thing is I don't actually care that much. I just hold it in a different way, but then it mostly sits on my desk all day grabbing email, playing Audible books and podcasts, and then playing games and video on the train ride home.
post #507 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I'm right handed but always hold phones in my left hand, then use my right hand to prod the touch screen. Isn't that how everyone uses them?

What if Apple purposely did this? So that they had a good reason to put out 4.01 mainly to stop the new loop holes found for jailbreaking etc.? Its a damn good reason to put out a iOS isnt it.......

Just something to think about.
post #508 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

I don't think it's really possible to reproduce this issue reliably because there are too many variables. Manufacturing variances, changes in signal frequency, changes in interference...

Maybe the problem only occurs at a specific frequency or maybe only when there is a specific type of interference.

I am almost sure the issue is caused by standing waves which occur when the exposed antenna is held with bare hands. Apple can change the software to help filter out this type of interference. I think they can sort a lot of it out with software but I'm willing to bet there will always be some issues having the antenna exposed like this.

1) But there are plenty of videos and pundits reporting that they CAN reproduce the this issue reliably simply by bridging the gap between the two antennas.

2) If it's a manufacturing variance then it's not a design issue of the issue. A design issue of the manufacturing process of that particulate line, now that is more likely which is why it's not occurring with all units.

3) I don't see how a RF signal variation would result in one unit causing a "short circuit" and another not causing a short circuit. They'll all using the same antenna for UMTS. I get no variation, not even a signal drop of one bar from bridging the gap with metal, with fingers or with fingers covered in salty water.

4) To restate, I haven't ruled out design flaw of a UMTS chip, but I have ruled out a design flaw from using an exposed antenna that causing a short circuit. If Apple issues a Bumper to every iPhone 4 to be used as standard procedure or recalls every iPhone 4 to be redesigned with an insulated case then I'll gladly admit I was wrong right after I sell all my Apple stock.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #509 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

You're all WRONG. There are no reception issues.
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/27/...ue-stay-tuned/

Boy, Steve is taking some more big risks here with what is conceivably Apple's flagship product. I think he should let Apple PR and engineers handle this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Things could get a little uglier before they get better. As much as I want the old Ireland back, we'll have to deal with this first and see what comes of it (if verified)

STAY TUNED. NO RECEPTION ISSUES.
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/27/...ue-stay-tuned/

As much as I dislike the emails from Steve, as previously noted, this one is at least a good email. Meaning, instead of telling the customer they are doing something wrong he's simply saying the problem isn't poor reception, but something else causing poor reception or at least the appearance of poor reception. Whether this is accurate or not is another story.

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #510 of 604
Ridiculously spot on, and reflects pretty much everything in this thread.

Quote:
We do something similar. We call it “clouding.” Right now, for example, we’ve sent out the following messages about iPhone 4 and the antenna issues:

1. All mobile phones have this problem.

2. Our mobile phone does not have this problem.

You see how this works? These two statements cannot both be true.

Yet we’ve said both of them. And now you don’t know what to believe.

Ask any psychologist what happens to people when they get confused. Their heart rate goes up. Their skin temperature rises. Adrenaline starts to flow.

They feel desperate, and scared, as if they’ve fallen out of a boat and now they’re getting tossed by waves and they’re maybe going to drown.

Now all you have to do is reach out with some kind of certainty, and no matter how obviously untrue it might be, people will latch onto it.

This whole rumor, true or not, really speaks to the last two sentences.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #511 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

No doubt, some people are experiencing real problems - and those people should take the problem phone back to Apple and get it exchanged for a new one.

But the real clueless people are like ones here who go to the Apple store and squeeze 12 phones to watch the display change without bothering to see if it really affected the devices performance. I have a 3Gs and an iPhone 4. They both show the screwy meter thing when gripped, yet they both work just fine even when the display says "No Service".

That sure as heck sounds like a software bug to me.

Again, if you are one of the minority who is having an actual hardware issue - take the phone back to Apple. They will fix or replace it. Stuff happens. But moaning on the Internet won't solve anything other than furthering the noise level.



I don't have to respect people who are flat out wrong because they take information from the Internet, misconstrue it and then further repeat the bad information. And disagreeing with someone doesn't equate a lack of respect either - it's not a binary proposition.

Let's look at it a different way. If this wasn't Gizmodo just starting more $h!t but a sincere and real problem - say a systemic design flaw as some have hysterically claimed in this and other forums - with over a million sales, don't you think actual iPhone 4 owners would be coming out of the wood work in droves?

If it was really a systemic design flaw, you would see major news organizations reporting it with their own research, interviews and follow up - instead of pointing to "online reports".

We don't see any of that. It's another internet tempest in the teapot. It's like the game telephone - but on steroids because there are tens of thousands of people with nothing better to do than endlessly gossip.

The level of furor over this is what is ignorant. For the vast majority of people, this is a total non-issue. It more than likely is EXACTLY what Apple claimed it is - a software issue. I realize conspiracy theories and "Apple is Dooooomed!" are far more entertaining, but still believe that Occam's razor applies far more often than not (and certainly in this case as well).

I don't think Apple would suffer too badly even if it couldn't fix the problem. Most people will figure ways around it because they like the phone too much to want to swap and most people will use a case. Personally, even without a case I won't be swapping phones to Android or whatever. At first it was pretty tricky holding the phone differently but I've since found ways, especially using my left index finger or thumb resting above the screen at the top of the phone that really feels ok, it's not what I would have chosen but it doesn't bother me now.

When I do hold the phone as I had always done and call my home landline number I get the failed call message and the landline goes dead. Likewise if I'm surfing, web pages will stop loading, so when it says "no service" for me it's not just telling me the wrong thing, it's telling me the right thing.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #512 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Ridiculously spot on, and reflects pretty much everything in this thread.

This whole rumor, true or not, really speaks to the last two sentences.

HAHA brilliant. And he tied in the "there are no reception issues" thing so quickly into his posts.
post #513 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I don't think Apple would suffer too badly even if it couldn't fix the problem. Most people will figure ways around it because they like the phone too much to want to swap and most people will use a case. Personally, even without a case I won't be swapping phones to Android or whatever. At first it was pretty tricky holding the phone differently but I've since found ways, especially using my left index finger or thumb resting above the screen at the top of the phone that really feels ok, it's not what I would have chosen but it doesn't bother me now.

When I do hold the phone as I had always done and call my home landline number I get the failed call message and the landline goes dead. Likewise if I'm surfing, web pages will stop loading, so when it says "no service" for me it's not just telling me the wrong thing, it's telling me the right thing.

Don't let the phone adapt to the user, have the user adapt to the phone.

Good grief, the hand gymnastics you'll put up with, just because it's Apple, magical, or 'just works'. I don't get it - no matter how good the screen is, OS, apps, etc, what's the point, if you can't hold it like a normal phone, without dropping the call or cutting d/l speeds.
post #514 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Don't let the phone adapt to the user, have the user adapt to the phone.

Good grief, the hand gymnastics you'll put up with, just because it's Apple, magical, or 'just works'. I don't get it - no matter how good the screen is, OS, apps, etc, what's the point, if you can't hold it like a normal phone, without dropping the call or cutting d/l speeds.

Apple have already told me, after going through several stages of talking to technicians etc, that they'll replace the phone. I'll try the update and if that doesn't work I'll get a new one. If I have the same problems with that phone, I'll keep it. Working around the issue hasn't proved as difficult as I had expected and I'm already at the point where it's become habit to hold it differntly. I will say that when I first started holding it differently, I very nearly dropped it from standing height on stone paving, but now I can hold it securely and am no more scared about dropping it than I would be if I held it how I used to.

If the problem isn't solved it obviously won't look good on Apple but I won't switch down to the 3GS or get something else, no way.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #515 of 604
Is there any definitive proof that the email from Jobs saying "don't hold it that way" was actually from him and not just some made-up rumor? As some here are tethering their iPhone outrage to that email, it would be nice to know if it was real or just another Apple hoax.
post #516 of 604
Anyone who is experiencing this problem and is unhappy with the phone should very carefully keep track of their 30 return period. If Apple and/or AT&T do not resolve the problem to your satisfaction within that period of time you may wish return the phone and/or get out of the contract.

If there are enough people who do this, perhaps, just perhaps, it may get Steve's attention. (But I doubt it.)

The question in my mind is whether the iPhone 4, even with the bumper and the rumored firmware update performs in a satisfactory manner?
post #517 of 604
LOL, Nokia is poking fun at Apple now

http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...ld-your-nokia/
post #518 of 604
I spoke with Apple Tech Support this morning about TWO dead iPhone IVs. Mine drops signal in 20-30 seconds. I showed it to friends this weekend who were all shocked at how bad the problem is. This does not reflect well on Apple at all. I got both phones "on the record" as having the problem since Apple doesn't seem to want to honestly address the issue.

That being said, I was in Rosarito / Ensenda using TelCel & the phone worked perfectly. I tried EVERYTHING to try and get it to drop the signal. Perfect 5 bars the whole time.

How in the world can this phone not work in Orange County, CA with AT&T and yet work perfectly in Mexico? At least this gives me hope that they will be able to fix the problem.
post #519 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop92679 View Post

I spoke with Apple Tech Support this morning about TWO dead iPhone IVs. Mine drops signal in 20-30 seconds. I showed it to friends this weekend who were all shocked at how bad the problem is. This does not reflect well on Apple at all. I got both phones "on the record" as having the problem since Apple doesn't seem to want to honestly address the issue.

That being said, I was in Rosarito / Ensenda using TelCel & the phone worked perfectly. I tried EVERYTHING to try and get it to drop the signal. Perfect 5 bars the whole time.

How in the world can this phone not work in Orange County, CA with AT&T and yet work perfectly in Mexico? At least this gives me hope that they will be able to fix the problem.

That's interesting. Here's to hoping, 'cause I have my money up stairs if it's fixable, soon.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #520 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Yeah, flawless. I dont sit here and bitch about little "issues" which are really non-issues. Mine has worked well beyond my expectations.

Me too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01