or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 4 includes Emoji input on Japanese keyboard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iOS 4 includes Emoji input on Japanese keyboard

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Apple is targeting a feature request from Japanese users in iOS 4 with new support for several dozen "official" Emoji emoticons accessible from the Japanese Romaji keyboard.

After activating the Japanese Romaji keyboard (used to enter Roman-style characters), reader Davide Crudo noted that a new character key appears on the numbers keyboard: the "^_^" smile.

Typing the key inserts a smile emoticon and presents a popup listing of alternatives below it. Clicking the arrow, or hitting space bar to cycle through the options, brings up an editing panel for choosing from around 50 different alternatives that are commonly used in Japan.

Users can flick through the pages of different Emoji character sequences by touch, or cycle through options by tapping the spacebar.

Once entered, an emoticon sequence acts like a regular block of characters. After entering an emotion in Notes, its default Marker Felt font is changed to Helvetica for all text within that note.
post #2 of 28
^_^ they should make it standard for all language.
post #3 of 28
Those are Emoticons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticons

Emoji are the icons and pictures:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji

Emoticons are enabled by default, you need an iPhone app, there are free ones, to enable Emoji. My guess is that they are not enabled by default because not all phones display them correctly.
post #4 of 28
This isn't a few feature, they just made it more accessible. They are called kaomoji in Japanese or face characters. When you'd type it in Japanese かおもじ the same list would appear. You can still do that now too. There have been a few hidden features for the Japanese that Apple could of done a better job of showing to people.
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvisser View Post

...you need an iPhone app, there are free ones, to enable Emoji.

I couldn't get my Emoji app to enable it in Settings with iOS 4.0.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #6 of 28
You can also still enable them this way, which results in an Emoji keyboard under International instead of japanese: http://www.waterworld.com.hk/en/spell_number_easter_egg


Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is targeting a feature request from Japanese users in iOS 4 with new support for several dozen "official" Emoji emoticons accessible from the Japanese Romaji keyboard.

After activating the Japanese Romaji keyboard (used to enter Roman-style characters), reader Davide Crudo noted that a new character key appears on the numbers keyboard: the "^_^" smile.

Typing the key inserts a smile emoticon and presents a popup listing of alternatives below it. Clicking the arrow, or hitting space bar to cycle through the options, brings up an editing panel for choosing from around 50 different alternatives that are commonly used in Japan.

Users can flick through the pages of different Emoji character sequences by touch, or cycle through options by tapping the spacebar.

Once entered, an emoticon sequence acts like a regular block of characters. After entering an emotion in Notes, its default Marker Felt font is changed to Helvetica for all text within that note.
post #7 of 28
My God they've done it. I mean, I know we all had scientists around the world working on this, but I had no idea the Japanese had cracked it. Why wasn't this bigger news? How did this get by me?

It's a whole new world, ladies and gentlemen.
post #8 of 28
but we can't edit them, can we?
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I couldn't get my Emoji app to enable it in Settings with iOS 4.0.

After the app enables the keyboard it's no longer under Japanese. it's on it's own under Dutch and before English (UK)
post #10 of 28
While I like the notes font, I would like to be able to use Helvetica as well. Sigh! Someday.
post #11 of 28
This is NO "emoji", ("picture characters") but instead "kaomoji" ("face characters"). The former are one-character wide graphical icons, (akin to emoticons) almost universally compatible accross the three japanese carriers (bar iPhone). The latter are simply combinations of parentheses/punctuation/speciall characters to resemble faces.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
Reply
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

This is NO "emoji", ("picture characters") but instead "kaomoji" ("face characters"). The former are one-character wide graphical icons, (akin to emoticons) almost universally compatible accross the three japanese carriers (bar iPhone). The latter are simply combinations of parentheses/punctuation/speciall characters to resemble faces.

Yes... This should be clarified in the article to avoid confusion. Love ya, AppleInsider, but those ain't Emoji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I couldn't get my Emoji app to enable it in Settings with iOS 4.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

After the app enables the keyboard it's no longer under Japanese. it's on it's own under Dutch and before English (UK)

Yeah it caught me by surprise as well after using the Spell Number app easter egg to enable Emoji. I thought it didn't work, then I saw it as its own keyboard, no longer under Japanese.
post #13 of 28
\(^ ^)/
post #14 of 28
They have "official" smilies?
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

After the app enables the keyboard it's no longer under Japanese. it's on it's own under Dutch and before English (UK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yeah it caught me by surprise as well after using the Spell Number app easter egg to enable Emoji. I thought it didn't work, then I saw it as its own keyboard, no longer under Japanese.

I still can't access it. This is the app I origianlly bought for Emoji that was working through v2.x and 3.x.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id305589163?mt=8 Is there a free app that enables it in v4.0?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In case you missed it, iPhone OS is now simply "iOS" and Mac OS X is now simply "iOS Development Platform". ~@dsandler

Reading this thread was worth it for that sig alone
post #17 of 28
Kaomoji: http://www.omgsoysauce.com/10833/jap...what-it-means/

Emoji: http://1800goiphone.com/wp-content/u...emoji1jpg.jpeg

Kaomoji are like smilies, except not sideways. Emoji are actually images, and are accessible on the iPhone from a completely separate keyboard. On non-Japanese iPhones, you need to get one of the free Emoji-enabling apps to use them. (I use this app Emoji Free )And then, it only works with other iPhones or certain japanese handsets that use the same emoji encoding. Luckily, emoji are set to be standardized in Unicode soon. (http://sites.google.com/site/unicode.../emoji-symbols)

Fix the headline, please?
post #18 of 28
Emoji (or whatever the right term is) has been available for customers in Japan without a 3rd party app since iOS 2. They just had to have a SoftBank SIM card.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2404
post #19 of 28
[QUOTE=gvisser;1661930]Those are Emoticons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticons

Emoji are the icons and pictures:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji

But, that page you linked to says the emoji are both emoticons and pictures. Here a the quote from that page: "Emoji (絵文字?) is the Japanese term for the picture characters or emoticons used in Japanese wireless messages and webpages"
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I still can't access it. This is the app I origianlly bought for Emoji that was working through v2.x and 3.x.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id305589163?mt=8 Is there a free app that enables it in v4.0?

Try Spell Number if it is still available. I didn't try the above app.
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Try Spell Number if it is still available. I didn't try the above app.

Nope, didn't work. However, when I looked for that app in the App Store, the search also listed Emoji Free which was updated just last month, while the app you recommended and the app I previously mentioned haven't been update since 2009, long before iOS 4.0 was present. Emoji Free works perfectly.

Emoji Free

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/emoji...332509635?mt=8
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #22 of 28
Apple has always been good at supporting Japan, that's why it's their second-biggest market.

I don't have iOS 4 on my phone yet, but my Japanese iPhone has English as the default language. In most "applications", which is what Apple in Japan calls "Apps", Mail for example, I have a Western alphanumeric keyboard. This has "123" to access the numeric keyboard, which then shows "ABC" to get back to the alphabet, and a World symbol to access Japanese-language input. In the Japanese mode, "123" and "ABC" toggle between numbers and letters.

Daniel's report, based on information from Davide Crudo, slightly misrepresents this. The alphabet keyboard, known in Japan as Romaji, is used to enter Japanese text phonetically by means of Roman-style characters. The phonetic text is then converted to Kanji (Chinese characters) or Kana (Japanese phonetic characters) by a combination of the "convert" key, the space bar and predictive text.

In the Japanese mode, besides "123" and "ABC" there is also the World symbol, and this toggles between English-input ABC, Japanese-input ABC and a Kana-based keypad similar to a Japanese phone keypad. Similarly, this enters Japanese text phonetically by means of Kana characters, which is then converted to Kanji by a combination of "convert", space bar and predictive text.

As I have mentioned in previous postings, this is actually superior to the keypad entry for most phones in Japan, because instead of pushing each key multiple times, you simply slide your finger from the first-push Kana to the one you want. Anyway, no Emoji, Emoticons or Kaocons available in Mail.

But when you use the Message App, which is basically SMS but can also send messages to regular email, the World key also offers, besides the phone-style keypad, a huge choice of maybe usefiul but mostly silly images to insert into your text. In an email they look like this:

Emoji? 〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓 〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓 〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓〓

So you can only see them on the SMS messages. I haven't tried sending them overseas, but there are around 100 images available, via the keyboard, on an iPhone 3 in Japan.

The "^_^" smile key is certainly not available on version 3. So this report from Davide Crudo is new. I would call it an "emoticon" just the same as all the others, sideways or not (: : ; ) , because I just haven't heard of Kaokon before today.



But definitely the Headline "iOS 4 includes Emoji input on Japanese keyboard" is not correct: Emoji is not new in iOS 4 and ^_^ is not Emoji ~L~
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

Apple has always been good at supporting Japan, that's why it's their second-biggest market.

Sadly, Apple Japan hasn't been that good at supporting Apple for the past decade (case in point: the call center that even the brick & mortar Apple Stores complain about). They could be doing better here. Things are changing, though, so we can hope.



I actually use emoji quite often in my MMS messages and, yeah, Apple did the Japanese input right.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #24 of 28
post #25 of 28
Try that on your fold out nasty little plastic keyboards!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

Anyway, no Emoji, Emoticons or Kaocons available in Mail.

This is not right. Emoji have always been available in the Mail app from the moment they were first introduced in the iPhone OS. You just have to use a Softbank SIM card and a Softbank email account. The new kaomoji, intruduced in iOS 4, are also available in Mail, and they work with any mail account (since they are just plain text). They are also treated as seperate characters.

As a quick cultural note: Almost no one uses SMS in Japan. Generally, SMS only works in Japan when sending messages to other phones of the same carrier. People just send regular emails between their phones, which is interoperable between carriers. But that email has been extended to include emoji. Emoji are not compatable with standard mail accounts (GMail, MobileMe, etc...).
post #27 of 28
You do not need an app to get Emoji.

Settings
General
International
Keyboard
Add New Keyboard
Emoji

At least it worked for me on iOS 5

😄😃😍😜😰💚🎵💩🎷🏄📖🎸
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous889345 View Post

At least it worked for me on iOS 5

Yeah, the story is about iOS 4, so…
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 4 includes Emoji input on Japanese keyboard