or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 Review: 1 - Hardware Fit & Finish

iPhone 4 Review: 1 - Hardware Fit & Finish - Page 5

post #161 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Not everything is black and white, and I never once suggested it affects every single iPhone 4. If you're going to read a thread try to recall what you've read.

When you suggested it was a design flaw you most certainly did. I haven't seen one retraction from you stating you meant it was a production issue affecting only a subset of all units made.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #162 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

IMHO, iLounge's 10-page iPhone 4 review is the best out there and they praise the device (along with finding a few shortcomings) without coming across as a fanboy or unbearable critic:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...e-4-16gb-32gb/

From the conclusion:

You have officially won this thread.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #163 of 338
I really agree with the person who pointed out that this review seemed almost like press copy.

And it actually goes to the root of the problems I've had with Apple ever since they dropped the Apple II GS and pressured everybody into the Macintosh line. And that is a kind of promotional egomania based around what is now the i prefix to every product, iPhone, iWork, etc. I have never argued with the PC people who taunted me for liking operating system and made it easy for me to do what I wanted. Apple is really good at making things function. The iPhone is a homerun for Apple because people can just take the damn thing up and do 80% of everything they ever wanted to do without reading the damn instructions. But I find the yuppie ego praising side of both the promotion and the admiration of superficial characteristics like looks and design cloying. I actually don't mind it being a sexy piece of machinery, but in everything from the advertising to reviews I feel like a pretty girl who's tired of hearing oh you're so pretty all the time. I'd like to know the limits of multitasking, I'm concerned about Apple's censorship of sexual materials as it may slop into eventually censorship of questionable apps and sites in the future that may be censorship based on politics. Excuse me if I taken the wrong opportunity to vent.
This human life,
like a butterlamp set out in the wind -
It might last a long time or it might not.
Not letting ego's hold tighten further,
May I truly practice the sublime teachings.

Jikdel Yeshe...
This human life,

Jikdel Yeshe...
post #164 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I have to agree with Ireland on comments, it not the issue so much, but the reply from SJ that irritates me. It was arrogant at least and crazy to be frank. ...

So, you are not angry except about (what you infer about), the attitude of someone you have never met, who was emailing someone else, to be?

It seems to me that the majority of angry responses on this thread are exactly this. People getting upset about things they heard, from people they don't know, about issues they haven't actually experienced. I'm not saying there might not be a problem, but if you took all these type of responses away (and their replies), the thread would be three posts long.
post #165 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When you suggested it was a design flaw you most certainly did. I haven't seen one retraction from you stating you meant it was a production issue affecting only a subset of all units made.

I never said it was only a subset either. Yes, I said it's looks like it could very well be a design flaw, and their are other reports to suggest it only affect users who don't have a "very good" signal. Others are affected regardless of how good their signal is.

I also said a few times if it is fixable with a software update then more power to Apple, but on the surface it looks like it's a hardware issue, and Steve even suggested people hold them differently.

I have been clear on these points. Yet, you take one thing I said and painted my whole agenda with that, without weighing up everything I said, even on a per comment basis. Not to mention you've been spouting 'troll' at everyone like a mad idiot.
post #166 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

So, you are not angry except about (what you infer about), the attitude of someone you have never met, who was emailing someone else, to be?

Yeah, the CEO of Apple saying that it just like any ol' guy you've never met saying that. Your arguments are weaker than kittens.
post #167 of 338
Gotta love the Google ads on this page.

Quote:
Ads by Google ( Advertise here )
Ms Cell Phone Maintenance
Get hands-on advice and help at the Mission Viejo Microsoft® store.
MicrosoftStore.com/MissionViejo

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #168 of 338
Quote:

Yes, I said it's looks like it could very well be a design flaw...

No, you made absolute statements this was design flaw while using excessively large fonts and posting your vitriol in threads that had nothing to do with this issue. Hence, you were trolling, you weren't being rational or logical, and you damn well know it.
post #169 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo316 View Post

... And that is a kind of promotional egomania based around what is now the i prefix to every product, iPhone, iWork, etc. ...

Uhm,someone correct me if I'm remembering this incorrectly, but I believe the 'i' originally stood for 'internet', not 'I', except in the one case where it stood for 'interim'. Now, it pretty much just stands for 'i' alone, as a branding thing, not some egomaniacal prefix.
post #170 of 338
Quote:

Yeah, the CEO of Apple saying that it just like any ol' guy you've never met saying that. Your arguments are weaker than kittens.

I was pointing out that people are making emotional arguments based on here-say and that everyone (except DanaCameron) is angry and gonna regret some of the things they are saying now, later on.

Since you are practically the King of such angry arguments and well familiar with said remorse, I'd expect a statements like that from you.

The last time I talked to you, you were arguing very strenuously over a multi-week period that the new iPad would *have* to run the desktop OS or it would be a "complete failure." You also are very fond of making lots of criticisms of Apple products complete with remonstrations to the effect that you just won't buy them until or unless they change (insert quality of product here), and then show up later on threads with the same devices in your little virtual hands loving them to death and arguing how well designed they are.

It's just painfully obvious to me that my original assessment was correct. You, (and a lot of other folks) are just angry and not thinking straight.
post #171 of 338
Regarding the actual article, I may just get a bumper after all. I've been seeing a lot of cracked iPhone 4s on the web and a few have been from a 2 foot drop. Oddly enough all of these cracks have been on the back casing. I wonder what the differences are between the front and rear.
post #172 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocummedia View Post

Ireland. GREAT POST. APPLE must make this right. Either a software fix (THAT WORKS), new phones (THAT WORK) or there will be a lot of returns. THAT would rip my heart out as I've owned Apple products since the '80s and crowed about them for many years.

you have probably been returning all apple products (THAT WORK) since the 80's since this is how apple became the largest tech company, even larger than the two before it combined MSFT and DELL. Micheal Dell should just close up shop and give all the money back to the shareholders honestly.

And since you are four posts into AI and been using apple products since the 80's can you calculate the odds to me why you think that for some reason, people who come here and troll would have the astrological chance of knowing or owning an iOS 4 device that would not work...

hmm,
post #173 of 338
iAdmit that "i" might have stood for "iNternet" - but that would mean iNternetWork and iNternet Life...
I think it is closer to "me, myself and I - my,my, my - my oh my"
I love Apple products. Probably it is just a case of "iPhobia".

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Uhm,someone correct me if I'm remembering this incorrectly, but I believe the 'i' originally stood for 'internet', not 'I', except in the one case where it stood for 'interim'. Now, it pretty much just stands for 'i' alone, as a branding thing, not some egomaniacal prefix.
This human life,

Jikdel Yeshe...
This human life,

Jikdel Yeshe...
post #174 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The reason why the iPhone 3G/3GS had a plastic back hasn't got anything to do with reducing costs. The real reason, surprise surprise, it's down to our friend Mr. Antenna again. The signal propagates through plastic better than it does metal (or skin ).

This is why virtually all cell phones are at least partially made from plastic. Cost is very much a secondary concern.

The clown that wrote this, thinks that metal and glass are more expensive than the high impact plastic used before. That's of course, totally incorrect, but I guess that would have gotten in the way of him using the word 'cheap' fifty times, and maybe distract from sounding like a moron when using phrases like 'piece of kit'.
post #175 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No, you made absolute statements this was design flaw while using excessively large fonts and posting your vitriol in threads that had nothing to do with this issue. Hence, you were trolling, you weren't being rational or logical, and you damn well know it.

Yes troll.
post #176 of 338
This thread has been hijacked from fit and finish into an extension of several others on this forum. Can't we just stay on subject. With at least three other threads raging over the antenna situation, and hundreds of posts, there is little to add to that issue. Please move that discussion back to where it belongs.

The copy at the beginning of this thread was a bit over the top, but at the same time, I have taken my 4G out of its silicone case several times to just study and marvel at the precision of it's design and manufacturing. Products exhibiting the level of precision readily apparent to those that have actually handled the 4G typically are produced by craftsmen in low volume and at high cost (to build as well as retail) such as Rolex, Leica, Hasselblad, Bowers & Wilkins, etc.

The fact that Apple and Foxconn have been able to hold the line at such a high level of fit and finish and at a reasonable price point, speaks volumes of the engineering and tooling that have been invested in the 4G production line.
post #177 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtidmore View Post

This thread has been hijacked from fit and finish into an extension of several others on this forum. Can't we just stay on subject. With at least three other threads raging over the antenna situation, and hundreds of posts, there is little to add to that issue. Please move that discussion back to where it belongs.

You're right. I will refrain from further commenting on this jacked thread.

Quote:
The copy at the beginning of this thread was a bit over the top, but at the same time, I have taken my 4G out of its silicone case several times to just study and marveled at the precision of it's design and manufacturing. Products exhibiting the level of precision readily apparent to those that have actually handled the 4G typically are produced by craftsmen in low volume and at high cost (to build as well as retail) such as Rolex, Leica, Hasselblad, Bowers & Wilkins, etc.

The fact that Apple and Foxconn have been able to hold the line at such a high level of fit and finish and at a reasonable price point, speaks volumes of the engineering and tooling that have been invested in the 4G production line.

I'm intrigued by the milling process Apple has quickly added to their product line. It started with the MBA, then the MBP and now even the iPhone and Mac Mini are milled. That has historically been a very expensive process and not fit for mass produced CE. I would love to know how they have been able to optimize this to make it viable, and if anyone else can possibly join them or is this a limited option for companies like Apple with a economy of scale within a single model design.
post #178 of 338
how spoiled we all are

true video voice phone calls have landed

the first nail in the carriers head is in .

the ipad the itouch and macs in general will get this wifi face too face service soon enough

maybe even a nano video service by 2014 ???

there are some fine droid outthere
my buddy on a low income streams and DL movies and stuff on his htc device and the screen is great

yet there is only one true dick tracey phone

how lucky we are to be alive to see these fantastic apple inventions

peace

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #179 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

how spoiled we all are

true video voice phone calls have landed

the first nail in the carriers head is in .

the ipad the itouch and macs in general will get this wifi face too face service soon enough

maybe even a nano video service by 2014 ???

there are some fine droid outthere
my buddy on a low income streams and DL movies and stuff on his htc device and the screen is great

yet there is only one true dick tracey phone

how lucky we are to be alive to see these fantastic apple inventions

peace

I had problems with FaceTime with the first two people I tried it with, but it turns out the problem wasn't with FaceTime but their routers. Since then it's been working great. Better than expected.

However, I don't see myself using this much more than iChat A/V. Once FaceTime over 3G gets going this could turn out to be pretty useful for showing people other stuff, but right now I'd say it's still a novelty.
post #180 of 338
I think the interesting thing about Apple's adoption of milled housings is the potential that Apple has found a point of convergence in the cost of CNC vs more typical injection or stamped molding technologies. The CNC machine has the versatility of being programmable to make ANY part out of virtually ANY material within the constraints of its abilities, but the time and cost to make each part remains constant regardless of the volume. Repurposing a CNC machine can be done in minutes, unlike injection or stamping methods so it has an advantage over other methods in that respect. Asia has taken the lead in the production of CNC technology (once pretty much the domain of the US) and advanced it with their keen interest in robotics, and as a result, at the scale needed for production runs such as Apple products, it may well have become cost competitive.

Why other consumer product manufacturers have not discovered the same is a matter of debate, but a lot of inertia exists with traditional techniques and few companies take the risks that have been the hallmark of Apple. Another possibility is that just as Apple has come to dominate the demand side for flash memory and certain LCDs, they may well have soaked up the CNC machine industry manufacturing capacity, effectively locking others out of the ability to adopt CNC at a mass level.
post #181 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Mine works flawlessly, and I'm letting the world know. Others should do the same.

Mine's working flawlessly also. No complaints.

@Ireland. Not sure what street your living on but from where I am people are putting their money where their mouths are and buying iP4, despite every national newspaper reporting connectivity/antenna issues.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #182 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo316 View Post

iAdmit that "i" might have stood for "iNternet" - but that would mean iNternetWork and iNternet Life...
I think it is closer to "me, myself and I - my,my, my - my oh my"
I love Apple products. Probably it is just a case of "iPhobia".

AIR, the "I" stands for interactive.

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #183 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

1. Since Apple can't override the laws of physics, I don't know what else they could do.

They could put the antenna in an optimal location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Now, if the software fix solves problem #2, then there's no issue.

None except users not being able to hold the phone in their hand like any other phone they have ever used. Seemingly, no phone has ever designed the antenna like the iPhone 4 - for good reasons.
post #184 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

How is that thin plastic bumper that only covers the strongest part of the iPhone 4 (the metal), going to protect it in a fall ?

Well, the glass itself is very strong (30x stronger than plastic, used for cockpit canopies, etc) and can handle the acceleration/deceleration of impact. My only concern (without the bumper) is that the edges of the glass (or metal) at the point of impact might scratch or chip. The rubber bumper is sufficient to prevent that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

And why should anyone buy an accessory just so your phone works properly ?

Well, as a statement of principle, they shouldn't have to.

I merely asked if one person (Ireland) was against getting that accessory for the purpose it was made for, and the bonus of addressing their only complaint.

Thompson
post #185 of 338
Quote:

How convenient. I wonder it that's because it covers up a flaw on the iPhone's design. Don't answer.

I really like the fact that when I position my iPhone at the top of my pocket and let go, it slides down to the bottom. That is a major plus for the sleek, thin, smooth design.

I would never want a sticky rubber case that attracts lint and requires that I manually position the phone in my pocket.

That negates one of the best industrial design aspects of the product: how it fits in your hand and pocket.
post #186 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

My Griffin car charger stopped working as well. I thought it was clicking into place securely though as the iPhone 4 would chime that it was connected. It just wouldn't charge after that. I'll have to check it again though. Hopefully it is just the connector head and not something with the plug hardware.

I wasn't even getting the chime, because the connection was not solid. Are you using a bumper?

By the way, jus for kicks, I replaced the black wire that came with the Griffin charger with a standard white Apple USB/Dock cable, and everything is working just fine for me. As far as I can tell, the thickness of the Griffin cable and the narrowness of the bumper slot are causing all of the issues.

Thompson
post #187 of 338
Quote:

How convenient. I wonder it that's because it covers up a flaw on the iPhone's design. Don't answer.

I bought a bumper, and loved it, even before I heard about this antenna issue.

This bumper is very lightweight, unobtrusive, and fits the aesthetic of the phone very well.

HIghly recommended to all.

Thompson
post #188 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It seems to me that the majority of angry responses on this thread are exactly this. People getting upset about things they heard, from people they don't know, about issues they haven't actually experienced.

That just about sums up a lot of what transpires on AI forums!
post #189 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

I really like the fact that when I position my iPhone at the top of my pocket and let go, it slides down to the bottom. That is a major plus for the sleek, thin, smooth design.

I would never want a sticky rubber case that attracts lint and requires that I manually position the phone in my pocket.

That negates one of the best industrial design aspects of the product: how it fits in your hand and pocket.

The bumper is not sticky and is very slight in form. Your phone will still slide into whatever orifice you want.

Thompson
post #190 of 338
Quote:

And, your similes are stretchier than pantyhose.
post #191 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

We are very satisfied with. Our usPhone 4s.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #192 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtidmore View Post

The copy at the beginning of this thread was a bit over the top, but at the same time, I have taken my 4G out of its silicone case several times to just study and marvel at the precision of it's design and manufacturing. Products exhibiting the level of precision readily apparent to those that have actually handled the 4G typically are produced by craftsmen in low volume and at high cost (to build as well as retail) such as Rolex, Leica, Hasselblad, Bowers & Wilkins, etc.

Thanks for your attempt to bring this back to topic and some semblance of sanity.

You will, of course, be thoroughly ignored. Moving along.....
post #193 of 338
Quote:

That's true but now you're dealing with both sides being glass and there have been more than a few instances of cracks from drops already. I've gone naked in the past but I may have to pick one up this time around.

The bumper is a PITA because it doesn't fit in the dock which means you may have to take it off. Another problem is how long these bumpers will last since they're made of rubber. The only case I've ever liked was the Incase Protective Cover that was rubber. The problem was that over time the rubber case became loose.
post #194 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Mine's working flawlessly also. No complaints.

Congratulations. According to this poll you're one of 45% of iPhone 4 owners without the issue. Not that that doesn't mean your phone doesn't have the issue, it may very well may that it doesn't have the issue with your hand touching it. But with someone else's hand it might.

I'm not sure what putting my money where my mouth is has anything to do with this. In fact, I have said I'm not buying an iPhone 4 until I know more, so I am putting my money where my mouth is.
post #195 of 338
Quote:

Get ready to be wrongly labelled to a troll.

I don't mean to butt in, but I'd like to say I wouldn't label you as a troll. But I have no problem describing you generally as a dick.
post #196 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayWard View Post

Read two paragraphs and gave up in embarrassment for DED. Are you sure this isn't a spoof Ã* la The Office?

Same. Every time I see an article by this guy, I try to read it and quit two paragraphs in. I cannot stand the writing style, nor the ass-kissing. It's articles such as this that give bloggers their non-journalist stamp.
post #197 of 338
Please, can we stop the personal barbs and stick to the subject.
post #198 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerPlanck View Post

I don't mean to butt in, but I'd like to say I wouldn't label you as a troll. But I have no problem describing you generally as a dick.

Something happened to poor Ireland about a year or so ago, and he quit coming around. The moniker is back; the sarcastic and witty person remains away. Ireland has been replaced by a mad man.
post #199 of 338
Quote:

Good point. Any you shouldn't need a case to get the phone (those who do have the issue) to work correctly.
post #200 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I bought a bumper, and loved it, even before I heard about this antenna issue.

This bumper is very lightweight, unobtrusive, and fits the aesthetic of the phone very well.

HIghly recommended to all.

Thompson

Even Steve recommends them. Or, just don't hold it in that way.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 Review: 1 - Hardware Fit & Finish