or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 Camera - Flash Issue
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 4 Camera - Flash Issue

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
It appears that when taking pictures in the dark, the iPhone's flash is captured in the corner of the picture. These pictures were taken consecutively and the phone was turned with each shot. The flash can be seen in the corners of all four pictures.

Could you test this with your iphone 4? I'm curious to see if it's just mine or a widespread hardware issue.

See Flickr set here: http://bit.ly/aMrQlG

BTW, Flickr says the pictures were taken with an iPhone 3G. Flickr is wrong.
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by samecycle View Post

It appears that when taking pictures in the dark, the iPhone's flash is captured in the corner of the picture. These pictures were taken consecutively and the phone was turned with each shot. The flash can be seen in the corners of all four pictures.

Could you test this with your iphone 4? I'm curious to see if it's just mine or a widespread hardware issue.

See Flickr set here: http://bit.ly/aMrQlG

BTW, Flickr says the pictures were taken with an iPhone 3G. Flickr is wrong.

Mine is fine.

I can almost replicate what you see by placing my finger above the lens (not in view) so the light reflects off of it...but that gives be pinkish halo rather than blue.

I'm going to guess either there's speck on your lens or you have a bluish case for your iPhone and the flash is reflecting off of it.
post #3 of 4
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Mine is fine.

I can almost replicate what you see by placing my finger above the lens (not in view) so the light reflects off of it...but that gives be pinkish halo rather than blue.

I'm going to guess either there's speck on your lens or you have a bluish case for your iPhone and the flash is reflecting off of it.

Thanks for checking it out. I actually have the Apple "Bumper" on it. I tried shooting some pictures without it on and sure enough, no weird halo in the corners. So my guess is that it's a reflection off the bumper. Good call on that. I'd still be curious to find out if other people with bumpers are experiencing the same issue. One thing I noticed is that if I'm shooting a close or medium shot of something or someone the halo reflection doesn't appear. It is only when shooting long shots into darkened spaces.
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by samecycle View Post

Thanks for checking it out. I actually have the Apple "Bumper" on it. I tried shooting some pictures without it on and sure enough, no weird halo in the corners. So my guess is that it's a reflection off the bumper. Good call on that. I'd still be curious to find out if other people with bumpers are experiencing the same issue. One thing I noticed is that if I'm shooting a close or medium shot of something or someone the halo reflection doesn't appear. It is only when shooting long shots into darkened spaces.

It's probably always there...you just can't see it except when it's pitch black in that corner. What color bumper is it? Maybe a black one would be fine...kinda sucks though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 Camera - Flash Issue