or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces iPhone 4 sold 1.7 million in first three days
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces iPhone 4 sold 1.7 million in first three days

post #1 of 141
Thread Starter 
Apple on Monday announced that it sold more than 1.7 million units of the iPhone 4 in its first three days of availability, marking the strongest sales debut for an iPhone yet.

"This is the most successful product launch in Apple's history," Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said. The company's announced 1.7 million total was sold through Saturday, June 26. "Even so, we apologize to those customers who were turned away because we did not have enough supply."

The numbers shatter the previous launch record of 1 million held by both the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. Last year, the iPhone 3GS sold a million units in its first three days. Earlier this month, Apple revealed that the iPhone 4 hit 600,000 preorders on its first day alone.

It took Apple 74 days, or approximately two and a half months, to sell its first million iPhones back in 2007. The launch of the iPhone 3G in 2008 resulted in a million devices sold in just the first three days.

The launch of the iPhone 4 was also bolstered by an immediate presence in more international countries. Last Thursday, the handset launched in the U.S., France, Germany, the U.K. and Japan. Apple has plans to expand the international launch of iPhone 4 to 87 countries by September, its fastest global deployment of a new handset.

Apple's launch sales of 1.7 million devices exceed some analysts' expectations, who saw Apple selling 1.5 million of the iPhone 4 at launch.

Supplies of the iPhone 4 were constrained at launch, and Apple stopped accepting launch preorders just a day after they became available. Apple was forced to temporarily suspend its toll-free number due to demand, and AT&T, the exclusive wireless carrier of the iPhone in the U.S., struggled to verify eligibility of its existing customers as the company's servers slowed to a crawl.
post #2 of 141
I am one of those 1.7 million, and love the phone.

And, boy this thing is snappy.
post #3 of 141
Whither the iKillers?
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #4 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The numbers shatter last year's record, when the iPhone 3GS sold a million units in its first three days. ... The launch of the iPhone 3G in 2008 resulted in a million devices sold in just the first three days.

I assume there's a mistake in the article. If 2009 was a record of 1 million in 3 days, then 2008 couldn't have also been 1 million in 3 days.
post #5 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmsway View Post

I am one of those 1.7 million, and love the phone.

wow
i am gonna take the plunge today i hope
SOME reason's for higher sales is all the 18-24 month contracts are up now
and ATT let some high spending 12 month contract people to buy or switch out
and people who bought last month can also switch easy enough

this and the double glass single mill design
great antenna
and futuristic video voice wii talk also made this a no brainer
MBP owners can DL on there macs and sync to the iphone saving lots of trouble or high G charges

the wintel people must suffer

9


go apple
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #6 of 141
and BOOM goes the dynamite.

PS - loving my new iPhone 4
post #7 of 141
FYI: I was told by ATT I was eligible for the 4G upgrade even though I only have had the 3Gs for less than a year!

If I can sell my white 3Gs online for around $150 then going to upgrade pretty soon! Basically, out of pocket $50! Pretty good deal!

EDIT: Postulant says, 'Radio Shack will give you $200 for old 3Gs!' Pretty cool!
post #8 of 141
Wondering what that number could have been without constrained supply. And the white model.

I'd say they could have moved 2.5 million pretty easily.
post #9 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

FYI: I was told by ATT I was eligible for the 4G upgrade even though I only have had the 3Gs for less than a year!

If I can sell my white 3Gs online for around $150 then going to upgrade pretty soon! Basically, out of pocket $50! Pretty good deal!

Radio Shack will offer you $200 for your 3GS.
post #10 of 141
Apple is Doomed!
post #11 of 141
No surprise at all.
post #12 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No surprise at all.

No, agree!

But for those complaining about glass and reception - there will be plenty - because 1 of 1,7 m iPhones is 1700. Number are big these days!

Now I just wonder when I can motivate this for myself...\
post #13 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

wow
i am gonna take the plunge today i hope

I'm not sure about Apple Stores, but ATT is saying they won't have any until tomorrow.
post #14 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Wondering what that number could have been without constrained supply. And the white model.

I'd say they could have moved 2.5 million pretty easily.

I'd say you have no idea WTF you're talking about. "I mean, hey...let's just make an additional million phones." Sure, no problem.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #15 of 141
Well, since everyone is so happy I guess we can forget all about the software update that didn't happen today.
post #16 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

wow
i am gonna take the plunge today i hope
SOME reason's for higher sales is all the 18-24 month contracts are up now
and ATT let some high spending 12 month contract people to buy or switch out
and people who bought last month can also switch easy enough

except that none of those are anything new. ATT has always allowed those paying high plans to update before 24 months, depending on how much higher they were

and the 'last month' thing is in part simply the standard 30 day policy. I believe they extended it by a couple of weeks because of the timing of the announcement and the release but otherwise it was just SOP

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #17 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

FYI: I was told by ATT I was eligible for the 4G upgrade even though I only have had the 3Gs for less than a year!

If I can sell my white 3Gs online for around $150 then going to upgrade pretty soon! Basically, out of pocket $50! Pretty good deal!



the iphone legacy prices are very sweet

november may be verizon turn
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #18 of 141
It's a terrific number but it should be tempered with the fact that most of these were upgrades. I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 4 continues to sell this well til the new hardware next year. There is no missing feature for this phone.
post #19 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwise View Post

I assume there's a mistake in the article. If 2009 was a record of 1 million in 3 days, then 2008 couldn't have also been 1 million in 3 days.

Actually, 2009 sales EXCEEDED 1 million units, 2008 apple sold 1 million. I recall....
post #20 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmsway View Post

I am one of those 1.7 million, and love the phone.

Would have but they were sold out, and still are
post #21 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

There is no missing feature for this phone.

Just wait and see... There's no robot in the apple icon?
post #22 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by willrob View Post

I'm not sure about Apple Stores, but ATT is saying they won't have any until tomorrow.

most of the Apple stores are on the wait list, like the ipad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Well, since everyone is so happy I guess we can forget all about the software update that didn't happen today.

Did Apple actually say there was going to be a software update at all. Or that it would be today.

Or is everyone waiting for something based on 'sources' and 'analysts'

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #23 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

except that none of those are anything new. ATT has always allowed those paying high plans to update before 24 months, depending on how much higher they were

and the 'last month' thing is in part simply the standard 30 day policy. I believe they extended it by a couple of weeks because of the timing of the announcement and the release but otherwise it was just SOP

besides what you say
many people did not upgrade last year for many reasons
may june july aug sept oct 08 contracts are now coming to their end
and all the xmas 08 sales are also coming to their ends
and yes ATT to stave off verizon may just get as many to sign two yr contracts as possible ..

now way back in june july 09 most of these kitty kats were stuck ..

this june new model format vs 18-24 month contract setup has to change
or bring on new t mobile //sprint models in dec1 st


i need a life

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #24 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

No, agree!

But for those complaining about glass and reception - there will be plenty - because 1 of 1,7 m iPhones is 1700. Number are big these days!

Now I just wonder when I can motivate this for myself...\

Actually, 1% of 1,700,000 = 17,000. Not 1,700.

Point taken otherwise.
post #25 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

No, agree!

But for those complaining about glass and reception - there will be plenty - because 1 of 1,7 m iPhones is 1700. Number are big these days!

Now I just wonder when I can motivate this for myself...\

1% of 1.7 million is actually 17,000 phones.
post #26 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I'd say you have no idea WTF you're talking about. "I mean, hey...let's just make an additional million phones." Sure, no problem.

What's your problem? My comment was about the considerable demand, not bashing the supply / manufacturing channel. But congrats on being an Internet tough guy, there's plenty of you out there.
post #27 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

1% of 1.7 million is actually 17,000 phones.

He wrote "per mill" not "per cent"! So 1 per mill of 1.7 million is still 1700! ;-)
post #28 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Wondering what that number could have been without constrained supply. And the white model.

I'd say they could have moved 2.5 million pretty easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I'd say you have no idea WTF you're talking about. "I mean, hey...let's just make an additional million phones." Sure, no problem.



I don't see what's so hard to understand here. walshbj just stated that if there were more in supply and there was a white model for sale they'd sold more. You have to admit there's been a lot of people that wanted one that couldn't get it because it's sold out at their location and there's many that are holding off until the white model is released. As for a actual sales total? Who knows but I don't see the WTF in any of his statement. Whether or not it was possible to make that many shouldn't even come into play.
post #29 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Well, since everyone is so happy I guess we can forget all about the software update that didn't happen today.

Give them some time - the guys in California aren't even up yet...
post #30 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Did Apple actually say there was going to be a software update at all. Or that it would be today.

Or is everyone waiting for something based on 'sources' and 'analysts'

As far as I know, the only thing apple said was "talk to the hand."

Doesn't matter who said it. I was just commenting that it didn't happen.

It seemed very important to a lot of people yesterday. Just wondering how everybody feels about it today now that the cash has started to tumble in.
post #31 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

the iphone legacy prices are very sweet

november may be verizon turn

I maybe wrong but I doubt Apple will go with another provider in the US unless they all move towards a common network infrastructure in the future.

There are a few reasons for this:

1. For Apple to sell through another provider, they will need a different phone since current iPhones are not CDMA compatible, even with T Mobile, compatibility is not 100%. This will mean that they will need to develop another phone for one or two countries.

2. Logistically, it will complicate things. Every item that Apple adds to their product line will incur costs. One that only serves one or two countries is going to make things worse. Furthermore, Apple's target market is the world, not just the US.

3. As it is, Apple cannot make iPhone 4 and iPads fast enough to satisfy customer demands and they have only launched it in a handful of countries. What will supplies be like towards the end of the year when they start selling in 80+ countries?

4. At the moment, Apple is pretty much stretched to the limit, iPad launch ongoing, iOS4 launch and now iPhone, I don't think Apple can take much more and as it is, Apple is overdue for a Macbook Air, Mac Pro and iMac refresh. Apple is good, but even they have their limits. I rather they have good solid products than trying to carpet bomb the market to try to grab that extra market share.
post #32 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Monday announced that it sold more than 1.7 million units of the iPhone 4 in its first three days of availability, marking the strongest sales debut for an iPhone yet.

Imagine the number of lanes of roads that one would have to build in order to ensure that every person driving to and from work in Los Angeles wouldn't get stuck in a traffic jam.

Better yet, imagine the cost.

Some may have been inconvenienced activating their new purchase. But tie those numbers with millions updating to iOS 4, purchasing from the iTunes store and seeking support, the wires must have been burning. And that goes as well for AT&T.

Lets at least give credit where it is due. Most of did live through it, didn't we?
post #33 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

What's your problem? My comment was about the considerable demand, not bashing the supply / manufacturing channel. But congrats on being an Internet tough guy, there's plenty of you out there.

My problem is that clearly, they couldn't make that many. You made it sound like it was no problem. Manufacturing MUST be considered.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #34 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

As far as I know, the only thing apple said was "talk to the hand."

Doesn't matter who said it. I was just commenting that it didn't happen.

It seemed very important to a lot of people yesterday. Just wondering how everybody feels about it today now that the cash has started to tumble in.

I can't speak for everyone but as a happy iPhone 4 owner I find it hilarious (but quite a bit tiresome after the gazillionth post) that there are folks that believe that Apple is going to tell it's best 1.7M customers (the yahoos willing to stand in line/preorder) to go pound sand if there really is a significant issue that can't be fixed via software.

I'm sure that when Apple provides a fix, these attention whores will proudly proclaim that they were instrumental in making this come about because if it weren't for them, Apple would have left us poor souls out to dry...
post #35 of 141
The article does explain earlier that the 3G and 3Gs both sold a million in three days. Therefore the 3Gs didn't break the record, only tied it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwise View Post

I assume there's a mistake in the article. If 2009 was a record of 1 million in 3 days, then 2008 couldn't have also been 1 million in 3 days.
post #36 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by shard View Post

I maybe wrong but I doubt Apple will go with another provider in the US unless they all move towards a common network infrastructure in the future.

There are a few reasons for this:

1. For Apple to sell through another provider, they will need a different phone since current iPhones are not CDMA compatible, even with T Mobile, compatibility is not 100%. This will mean that they will need to develop another phone for one or two countries.

2. Logistically, it will complicate things. Every item that Apple adds to their product line will incur costs. One that only serves one or two countries is going to make things worse. Furthermore, Apple's target market is the world, not just the US.

3. As it is, Apple cannot make iPhone 4 and iPads fast enough to satisfy customer demands and they have only launched it in a handful of countries. What will supplies be like towards the end of the year when they start selling in 80+ countries?

4. At the moment, Apple is pretty much stretched to the limit, iPad launch ongoing, iOS4 launch and now iPhone, I don't think Apple can take much more and as it is, Apple is overdue for a Macbook Air, Mac Pro and iMac refresh. Apple is good, but even they have their limits. I rather they have good solid products than trying to carpet bomb the market to try to grab that extra market share.

Apple is going to do whatever they want. Any level of rationale is pointless because you don't know what they're thinking. As for constrained supply, that always happens upon a new product. It is up to Apple to tell Foxconn how many iPhones they want built. A constrained supply won't last throughout the year.
post #37 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by shard View Post

I maybe wrong but I doubt Apple will go with another provider in the US unless they all move towards a common network infrastructure in the future.

There are a few reasons for this:

1. For Apple to sell through another provider, they will need a different phone since current iPhones are not CDMA compatible, even with T Mobile, compatibility is not 100%. This will mean that they will need to develop another phone for one or two countries.

2. Logistically, it will complicate things. Every item that Apple adds to their product line will incur costs. One that only serves one or two countries is going to make things worse. Furthermore, Apple's target market is the world, not just the US.

3. As it is, Apple cannot make iPhone 4 and iPads fast enough to satisfy customer demands and they have only launched it in a handful of countries. What will supplies be like towards the end of the year when they start selling in 80+ countries?

4. At the moment, Apple is pretty much stretched to the limit, iPad launch ongoing, iOS4 launch and now iPhone, I don't think Apple can take much more and as it is, Apple is overdue for a Macbook Air, Mac Pro and iMac refresh. Apple is good, but even they have their limits. I rather they have good solid products than trying to carpet bomb the market to try to grab that extra market share.


all 4 points are .. well very true ..so thank you for you concise answer

i may add ....

apple is ramping up production with 3 new makers in taiwan
foxcomm will double their out put in 8 months and then double output again with 24 months .
making world wide shipments on opening sales day a reality

yes i wonder what apple will due with all of its ignored or long overdue SW and or HW devices

i have a very tight missive sent to me stating a verizon branded4g/supplier wif iphone

remember when apple switched on a dime to intel chips
and steve informed us that for 41/2 yrs every power p/c update also had a secret intel update also built in

apple would not put all its eggs in one basket
making a verizon branded iois 4 phone i am sure has been already worked out
and don't forget 7g networks are almost all built out for north american verizon

have a great day dude

peace 9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #38 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarena View Post

Apple is Doomed!

this is lame already. move on.

\
post #39 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

The article does explain earlier that the 3G and 3Gs both sold a million in three days. Therefore the 3Gs didn't break the record, only tied it.

Interesting. Despite the success of the 3GS they really did sell about the same number as the 3G in the first 3 days. It makes me wonder why because the last year of iPhone sales shows a huge jump over the previous year.

Also, I think last year was the first year they offered home delivery and sold it many more countries than they did with the 3G. If so, that could mean the 3GS had a much slower relative start than the 3G.

Perhaps it was the economy, or perhaps the case being the same design was a major factor. I hope it's not the latter as that may mean Apple will keep changing it up for no reason expect marketing. I certainly don't want that.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #40 of 141
Nice...I'm not surprised...I even gave the competition a chance and tried out their phones. It's not the same. there was always a missing element, touch or feel with the other maker's software, OS or hardware. Yup...I'm not surprised by these sales. Love my iPhone 4 ...just wish Tom Tom would drop their price on the GPS App or Garmin develop one.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces iPhone 4 sold 1.7 million in first three days