or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces iPhone 4 sold 1.7 million in first three days

Apple announces iPhone 4 sold 1.7 million in first three days - Page 2

post #41 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

My problem is that clearly, they couldn't make that many. You made it sound like it was no problem. Manufacturing MUST be considered.

You interpreted my comment differently than it was intended. My use of the word "constrained" might have inferred what you suggest. But it doesn't explain the hostility of your comment.
post #42 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Radio Shack will offer you $200 for your 3GS.

seriously? Thanks, Postulant! i'll check it out!
post #43 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by shard View Post

I maybe wrong but I doubt Apple will go with another provider in the US unless they all move towards a common network infrastructure in the future.

True... Not happening anytime soon. I spoke to an AT&T regional manager and he said AT&T just renewed its contract with Apple through 2014.

All...Don't hold your breath!

The only way Apple's phone ends up other than AT&T is if it's a completely different phone from the iPhone. I mean totally different phone with a different name.
post #44 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

No, agree!

But for those complaining about glass and reception - there will be plenty - because 1 of 1,7 m iPhones is 1700. Number are big these days!

Now I just wonder when I can motivate this for myself...\

FAIL. 1% of 1.7 million is 17,000.
post #45 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i need a life

Me too!
post #46 of 141
As far as the supply issue...Apple should just have on of their Chinese Suppliers just build another factory and Fedex should lease another 747. I mean China is building so fast it's on the scale of building a city the size of San Francisco EVERY DAY! Their economy has grown, on average, 10% a year for the last 30 years!

And in their spare time they can build a CDMA factory for a Verizon iPhone!

There, problem(s) solved!
post #47 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxg View Post

Nice...I'm not surprised...I even gave the competition a chance and tried out their phones. It's not the same. there was always a missing element, touch or feel with the other maker's software, OS or hardware. Yup...I'm not surprised by these sales. Love my iPhone 4 ...just wish Tom Tom would drop their price on the GPS App or Garmin develop one.

$50 for US. $60 US and Canada. Lots of data. Over 1.25GBs.

Great app. Especially with their Car Kit. Most used app on my iPhone.
post #48 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

As far as I know, the only thing apple said was "talk to the hand."

no, it was "talk to the right hand". left hand not so good for some. :P
post #49 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

seriously? Thanks, Postulant! i'll check it out!

You have to buy your new iPhone 4 through them though... they'll give you an in store credit, which you'll then apply to your phone.
post #50 of 141
would have been way more if the servers could handle the volume, and if the white iphone hadn't suffered from some kind of production error.

They'll learn their lesson, and next year hopefully these issues won't keep them from smashing their previous number.
post #51 of 141
So they had around $1 Billion in sales in 3 days. Not bad. (If you count the full retail paid including the difference payed by carriers.)
post #52 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

whats a ?
post #53 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

except that none of those are anything new. ATT has always allowed those paying high plans to update before 24 months, depending on how much higher they were

and the 'last month' thing is in part simply the standard 30 day policy. I believe they extended it by a couple of weeks because of the timing of the announcement and the release but otherwise it was just SOP

well some of what i said must be true ??

anyway i think if i hand my local best buy mnger a crisp 50- i can get a sealed 32g within a week
i hope
i can wait until they come in stock

saying goodbye to verizon will be sad thou

peace

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #54 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

17800 if you can't count so well
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #55 of 141
post #56 of 141
Quote:

My problem is that clearly, they couldn't make that many. You made it sound like it was no problem. Manufacturing MUST be considered.

The question in my mind, though, is the demand side of the equation. If Apple had had an infinite supply of each phone available at launch, what would the sales have looked like? Although the 3GS sold more than the 3G at its launch, my recollection is that the 3G was actually more in demand. And the demand for the iPhone 4 is off the charts. I don't know anyone who wouldn't love one.
post #57 of 141
Glad to know THERE ARE NO RECEPTION ISSUES anwyay to worry about. Because Steve said so.
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/27/...ue-stay-tuned/

I know, I'm tired of being negative about this whole thing. The tide is coming in.
post #58 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

would have been way more if the servers could handle the volume, and if the white iphone hadn't suffered from some kind of production error.

They'll learn their lesson, and next year hopefully these issues won't keep them from smashing their previous number.

I don't recall reading anyone having any activation issues this year. Is that not the servers you are talking about?

The biggest factors seem to be supply & demand (which won't get better next year) and faulty devices (which could seem even larger next year even if they lower the rate of failure).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

So they had around $1 Billion in sales in 3 days. Not bad. (If you count the full retail paid including the difference payed by carriers.)

And I don't see the rate falling dramatically on a per week basis for some time.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #59 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

True... Not happening anytime soon. I spoke to an AT&T regional manager and he said AT&T just renewed its contract with Apple through 2014.

Right because the regional manager has access to that information. Show us the proof.
post #60 of 141
I wonder if this figure includes all of the backlogged orders that won't be shipping for 3 weeks.
post #61 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarena View Post

Apple is Doomed!

Your sarcasm gave me a Monday chuckle.
post #62 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

It's a terrific number but it should be tempered with the fact that most of these were upgrades. I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 4 continues to sell this well til the new hardware next year. There is no missing feature for this phone.

Why should it be tempered? Many savvy business people see this as a significant advantage. With the iPhone Apple has:

-- a large install base of qualified buyers
-- willing to pay a premium in price, time, contract termination fees to buy the latest device
-- willing to evangelize the device to others

Many would describe this as a "cash cow"!

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/06/...were-upgrades/

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #63 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Radio Shack will offer you $200 for your 3GS.

Yes, but then you have to go into a Radio Shack store.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #64 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

You interpreted my comment differently than it was intended. My use of the word "constrained" might have inferred what you suggest. But it doesn't explain the hostility of your comment.

I think he just didn't have his morning joe(coffee, not the TV show). No way did you comment imply criticism.

But that said, not really sure they would have sold that many more. Just my opinion.
That would make a nice business school study though.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #65 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsr View Post

He wrote "per mill" not "per cent"! So 1 per mill of 1.7 million is still 1700! ;-)

Not to beat a dead horse....but where did you learn math?\
post #66 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

As far as the supply issue...Apple should just have on of their Chinese Suppliers just build another factory and Fedex should lease another 747. I mean China is building so fast it's on the scale of building a city the size of San Francisco EVERY DAY! Their economy has grown, on average, 10% a year for the last 30 years!

And in their spare time they can build a CDMA factory for a Verizon iPhone!

There, problem(s) solved!

As a minimum, they should build (assemble) it in USA! I'll pay the extra 5 bucks or so(just a guess).
post #67 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Yes, but then you have to go into a Radio Shack store.

And for just walking in they should hand you $200 BEFORE you account for the iPhone trade.
post #68 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Interesting. Despite the success of the 3GS they really did sell about the same number as the 3G in the first 3 days. It makes me wonder why because the last year of iPhone sales shows a huge jump over the previous year.

Also, I think last year was the first year they offered home delivery and sold it many more countries than they did with the 3G. If so, that could mean the 3GS had a much slower relative start than the 3G.

Perhaps it was the economy, or perhaps the case being the same design was a major factor. I hope it's not the latter as that may mean Apple will keep changing it up for no reason expect marketing. I certainly don't want that.

Here's an interesting analysis and a couple of charts-- for your dining and dancing pleasure:

http://bullcross.blogspot.com/2010/06/blog-post.html

post #69 of 141
Great, now Apple has 1.7 million units to recall and take care of the antenna design flaw!
post #70 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwise View Post

I assume there's a mistake in the article. If 2009 was a record of 1 million in 3 days, then 2008 couldn't have also been 1 million in 3 days.

Hmmm, maybe in 2009 they actually sold 1,000,001 phones. Just barely taking the record.
post #71 of 141
Quote:

I'd say you have no idea WTF you're talking about. "I mean, hey...let's just make an additional million phones." Sure, no problem.

Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #72 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's an interesting analysis and a couple of charts

From looking at that second chart, the iPhone apparently did cannibalize the iPod after all.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #73 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltWater View Post

Great, now Apple has 1.7 million units to recall and take care of the antenna design flaw!

You're taking a big risk. They'll follow you home around here.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #74 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I wonder if this figure includes all of the backlogged orders that won't be shipping for 3 weeks.

No!

Apple books orders when they are received. They book sales when they are shipped/billed to the reseller or end users.

So, the number represents the units in consumer's hands, in transit, or on the reseller's shelves.

Based on reports, I suspect the bulk are in consumer's hands (likely, being held wrong).

post #75 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmsway View Post

I am one of those 1.7 million, and love the phone.

And, boy this thing is snappy.

Oh but according to Ireland it is terrible, doesn't work and you will be taking it back
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #76 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

From looking at that second chart, the iPhone apparently did cannibalize the iPod after all.

Yes, but Apple would rather do it to themselves than let HTC/Samsung/etc do it to them.
post #77 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You can't read that from the chart. It shows the percentage of revenue from each product category. All it indicates is that iPhone revenue is growing faster than any other category.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #78 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Yes, but Apple would rather do it to themselves than let HTC/Samsung/etc do it to them.

That is so true and often not appreciated especially by so called analysts. The question "Would you prefer this Apple product or that Apple product?" is a plus not a negative.
post #79 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

As far as I know, the only thing apple said was "talk to the hand."

Doesn't matter who said it. I was just commenting that it didn't happen.

It seemed very important to a lot of people yesterday. Just wondering how everybody feels about it today now that the cash has started to tumble in.

It may or may not happen today, as I don't belive anyone at Apple guaranteed anything. Hopefully so, but it's a waiting game from here. Also, the day barely started, so I think it's a bit premature to say it didn't happen. More like, it hasn't happened yet. Just be a little patient.
post #80 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Why should it be tempered? Many savvy business people see this as a significant advantage. With the iPhone Apple has:

-- a large install base of qualified buyers
-- willing to pay a premium in price, time, contract termination fees to buy the latest device
-- willing to evangelize the device to others

Many would describe this as a "cash cow"!

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/06/...were-upgrades/

The sales figures are staggering but a lot more of current iPhone users were available for upgrade as opposed to last year because with the 3GS. Early estimates seems to indicate that ~74% of iPhone 4 buyers already had an iPhone. While 26% for new customers is a pretty good number, I wonder how that compares against other OS manufacturers and carriers.

It always great to have a loyal user base but growth is as important. The reason why MS was passed by Apple in market cap is because of Apple's potential for future growth and earnings.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces iPhone 4 sold 1.7 million in first three days