or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Law firm exploring class action suit over iPhone 4 reception issues

Law firm exploring class action suit over iPhone 4 reception issues - Page 3

post #81 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

They could give out new phones, but so far they haven't.

They could give out new phones, but so far they haven't.

I have heard of a few people returning their iPhone 4 for new ones with no problem. I haven't heard of anyone getting turned away when trying to return their iPhone 4 for a replacement.

If I were to have this problem, that's the first thing I'd do.
post #82 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Totally agree.

Yep, I agree. The problem is it is so far ahead the competition have to resort to 'swift boat tactics.'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #83 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I have heard of a few people returning their iPhone 4 for new ones with no problem. I haven't heard of anyone getting turned away when trying to return their iPhone 4 for a replacement.

Not to say there are not genuine cases but perhaps the reason not too many have been returned is because the vast majority of those claiming to have the problem don't actually own one?
post #84 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I know, but the point being is that your particular beef should be with AT&T. This new issue effects a certain group of phones no matter even the country.

The issue is that you can't make calls. Different reason, same result.

That is nothing new for some. Now it affects many. Welcome to the party. Sucks doesn't it?

That's the point.
post #85 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Hopefully you can get a usable unit in the first swap.

But be sure to ask for "Option Three", says this gentleman who's taken the time to make a tutorial video on how to get a usable replacement:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG0odfrzgAU
post #86 of 317
Quote:

That is nothing new for some. Now it affects many. Welcome to the party. Sucks doesn't it?

That's the point.

Stop babbling.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #87 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I usually just sigh when I hear about a lawsuit against Apple, but in this case there is actually a grounding for the case.

I've checked 3 different iPhone 4's from friends, I know the US has a shit network (AT&T) but O2 and Orange both have excellent reception where I am, all 3 phones went from 5 bars to 1/no bars when the phone was cupped in th left hand.

This is a BIG issue, Apple has dropped the ball on this one, if it's simply a software fix thats needed and I hope it is, then great if not Apple deserves to get sued and need to pay out.

I was told last week by an Apple level 2 technician that they would replace the phone. Today he called back, as he said he would, and told me that they wouldn't replace the phone because any replacement would do the same thing. He also said there was no point sending it in for repair because they would find nothing wrong with it. He said the iPhone 3G and 3GS antennas where the same (that wasn't my experience and not after I upgraded to iOS 4 either). He basically echoed SJ; hold it differently and try a case, which they won't give you one for free.

I'll see what happens with the SW update but I can't say I'm too hopefull. The technician didn't even mention it. This isn't the way to treat customers. It's simply an incredible phone and I can work around the issue by holding it differently and I'll likely get a case. In which case Apple will have made an extra £25 out of me because I wasn't planning on getting one.

Personally I think a lawsuit is very justified in this instance. If Apple had offered free cases they'd look a lot better right now than they do.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #88 of 317
Quote:

That's the point.

Why would it suck for Ireland? He already told us he hasn't bought the new iPhone 4.
post #89 of 317
Quote:

Stop babbling.

Okay. Not very nice, but if that's what you would like me to do then I shall do so.

Have a very pleasant day Ireland.
post #90 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Pardon me for being dumb, but couldn't Apple just give out a new iphone 4 to people with defective iphone 4's?

If so, what is the lawsuit about?

Pain and suffering?

I'm already on my replacement iPhone and it is has the same lousy reception as the 1st. My 3G iPhone in the same location used to have great reception.
post #91 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresh View Post

It is about Steve Jobs saying "There is no reception issue". In other words lying to the customer to conceal a defect forcing the customer to seek remediation from the courts.

Or the problem is just with certain phones and can be fixed through AppleCare as a warranty issue. Just because there isn't a design flaw doesn't mean that some devices will not have flaws in them. If you have some strange body chemistry that is causing the issues, I heard Apple will give you a free bumper.

I think if the class action lawsuit ruled that you could replace the phone with a competitors phone of your choice nobody would take that up.
post #92 of 317
the other day I squeezed my friend's Touch Pro and sure enough signal went down. She had 2 bars, and when I would hold it like someone was trying to steal it, the bars would go down. When I set it back on the arm of the chair, they would go back up. It was a repeatable result, so now I'm not as critical of Apple about this. However, if in fact the reception issues occur just from skin to phone, and not from a death grip, then it's a whole other ballgame.
post #93 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

If you have some strange body chemistry that is causing the issues, I heard Apple will give you a free bumper

There seems to be a lot of people that have this strange body chemistry
post #94 of 317
Quote:

Okay. Not very nice, but if that's what you would like me to do then I shall do so.

Have a very pleasant day Ireland.

i hope england re invades ireland soon enough
today i garb my 9 and 6 yr old and we are gonna hit best buy
apple store
att store
so i can get past my hatred of ATT and the iosfour iphone
32g wifi
i may even buy a verizon or sprint MIFI card to boost the wifiness of it all

all this over the top shite stuff here from 2 or3 trolls has made me really want to get one

okok
apple is doomed is not my joke
tecstud coined it first when the bluray way not included in the last nano update
and then mactripper used it 50000 times talking about the 160g ipod blinding glare

i guess that doomed joke is tired and dead
sorry for being so crass
apple is down 10 points so i guess its time for me to buy some stock

can't wait to find one today

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #95 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

today i garb my 9 and 6 yr old and we are gonna hit best buy
apple store
att store
so i can get past my hatred of ATT and the iosfour iphone
32g wifi
i may even buy a verizon or sprint MIFI card to boost the wifiness of it all

all this over the top shite stuff here from 2 or3 trolls has made me really want to get one

okok
apple is doomed is not my joke
tecstud coined it first when the bluray way not included in the last nano update
and then mactripper used it 50000 times talking about the 160g ipod blinding glare

i guess that doomed joke is tired and dead
sorry for being so crass
apple is down 10 points so i guess its time for me to buy some stock

can't wait to find one today

What on earth are you waffling about? Snap out of it!

"apple is doomed" can be traced back to prehistoric times.
post #96 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

What on earth are you waffling about? Snap out of it.

whew
thanks i needed that

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #97 of 317
Quote:

That's the point.

I'm willing to bet the for every owner experiencing degraded service because of the antenna, there are 100 getting BETTER reception for the same reason.

I know I'm in the latter category.

Does that mean I get to launch a class action suit against these ambulance chasers if I have to give up my improved external antenna?
post #98 of 317
Quote:

The level of denial here is amazing. How much would Apple have to screw up before you all stop defending them?

For two years I have had terrible audio quality and dropped calls on my 3G. Yet the iPhone flies off the shelves and the community here makes excuse after excuse for Apple and ATT. "We don't need to make phone calls. We don't need Verizon."

Now that everyone is dropping calls (granted for different reasons) all of a sudden this is so unacceptable we're going to get lawyers. Yeah, it IS maddening when you keep dropping calls, isn't it?

I'm glad the Kool Aid has finally worn off for others as it did for me when I was stranded on the side of the road with no signal on my shiny pretty iPhone.

I have asked it before and will continue to ask: What good is a smartphone that can't make phone calls?

IMO, most people who have a smartphone, do much more than just talk on the phone and the crappy quality is acceptable to most.

Personally, when i look at my ATT bill, i notice that by the end of my billing cycle, i've made (on average) of about 50 minutes of calling. Maybe that's a bit low for most people and i'm the acception. And then i look at my internet usage and notice it's about 200-400mb per month. I also text a lot and email quite a bit more than making calls. Not to mention that everyone i know is on ATT so my minutes don't suffer since they area all in network.

So, at least to me, i think most people who use smartphones do much more than make calls.
post #99 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Pardon me for being dumb, but couldn't Apple just give out a new iphone 4 to people with defective iphone 4's?

If so, what is the lawsuit about?

Pain and suffering?

i'm sure someone asnwered this already, but it's not about singular incidents. It's about a device defect that is inherint to the design of the device.
post #100 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

You said it. What did Jobs expect? This is parmount to telling a rape victim that if she wasn't a trashy slut, this wouldn't have happened. ...

Quote:

Actually I think an even better anology would be if the judge told the rape victim: non issue, just don't walk down that particular street. Or get one of the many available 'mace' cans. Without actually addressing the rape.

No, it's not at all similar, and saying that it is trivializes the ordeal of a rape victim . The comparison is highly offensive to me, and I'm sure to more than a few others.

I can understand that people want to express their anger over this issue (although, what those who haven't bought the phone have to be angry about, I don't know), but blowing it completely out of perspective by equating it to rape just robs whatever arguments you may have of any legitimacy.
post #101 of 317
Quote:

Name one phone that can have its communications disabled with a single finger touch to the external case? Other than the iPhone 4 that is!

The Nexus One and there are others. You need just to pull your head out of your butt long enough to search a bit. It is not an uncommon problem.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #102 of 317
The real story is that the vast majority of 1.7 million iPhone 4 owners seem to be very happy with them. And that this new product design seems no more perfect nor flawed than any other of its type.

On forums, "The hand points at the moon, the fool looks at the finger."
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #103 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

The Nexus One and there are others. You need just to pull your head out of your butt long enough to search a bit. It is not an uncommon problem.

It wasn't an "iPhone" problem until iPhone 4 and/or iOS 4.

Frankly, I don't give a **** what other phone makers are doing -- I care about what Apple is doing. And bringing in other manufacturers to cloud the discussion is a copout.
post #104 of 317
Quote:

You just said something negative against Apple so it must be false. lol

Do you ever have anything of substance to say?
post #105 of 317
Quote:

I did take mine back, now what do I do with the several hundred iOS only apps that I bought? Live with my 3GS? Just bite the bullet and move on to a different platform? Blindly praise Apple? Just what exactly?

Have you tried logging into your iTunes account on your (Win/Mac) PC, examining your purchase history, and using the Report A Problem button? Don't know if it will work for you or not, but I'd think that if you made purchases for the iPhone 4 and had to return it, the purchases should be refunded. Rather than being bitter about it, I'd say it should be worth a try.
post #106 of 317
Seriously, they couldn't wait a few days to see if the software update fixes the problem? That's a lot of wasted effort if 4.0.1 makes it go away.
post #107 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Seriously, they couldn't wait a few days to see if the software update fixes the problem? That's a lot of wasted effort if 4.0.1 makes it go away.

As I have been warned several times: "Stop making sense."
post #108 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I agree that if it effects you, this is no doubt a right royal pain in the arse, but does it really merit a lawsuit? Surely if it doesn't work for you the options are:
  1. Take it back.
  2. Trust Apple to provide a fix.

This is a flaw in the American system which hampers creativity and the economy in general. If something happens you don't like, call the lawyers.

If this is an inherit flaw in the design, as may have been trying to prove, and Apple's claims that there "is no problem"...then this is lying and Apple should provide some kind of restitution. If Apple wants to deny something that is inheritly wrong with the design, a lawsuit is justified, that is unless they cannot prove that this is a design flaw in every device and not just a small percentage. I mean, we have heard many accounts of this problem, in other countries too (so you can't claim it's a network issue), but that's only a very small percentage of the amount of iphones out there sold as of today. They sold 1.7M phones in the first 3 days, and we've heard only about 1% (at best) of them having problems. This would have to be (i'm speculating) an issue of one out of every 5 phones with this issue before it becomes something worth suing over.
post #109 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

There seems to be a lot of people that have this strange body chemistry

My wife used to be able to light a small florescent tube (from a camping lantern) by holding both ends in her hands - she may still, hasn't tried it lately. She made a laser printer spit out solid black pages by standing next to it. She's had an iPhone for almost a year and it's survived the experience, so it'll be interesting to see what happens when we upgrade to iPhone 4's when eligibility comes around...
post #110 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

If this is an inherit flaw in the design, as may have been trying to prove, and Apple's claims that there "is no problem"...then this is lying and Apple should provide some kind of restitution. If Apple wants to deny something that is inheritly wrong with the design, a lawsuit is justified, that is unless they cannot prove that this is a design flaw in every device and not just a small percentage. I mean, we have heard many accounts of this problem, in other countries too (so you can't claim it's a network issue), but that's only a very small percentage of the amount of iphones out there sold as of today. They sold 1.7M phones in the first 3 days, and we've heard only about 1% (at best) of them having problems. This would have to be (i'm speculating) an issue of one out of every 5 phones with this issue before it becomes something worth suing over.

The whole thing about this that concerns me is... wasn't the one that got lost/left behind/stolen in the bar in a camouflage case that made it look like a 3G? Did Apple do much testing on a "bare" iPhone 4...? One would assume they must have, but you know what they say about the word "ASSUME" - making an ASS out of U and ME.
post #111 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Why are we waiting for 4.0.1 ? Apple says there is no reception issue. So what is this rumored 4.0.1 going to fix ? The denials from Apple is causing this situation to worsen.
post #112 of 317
Quote:

That's the point.

Why would it suck for Ireland? He already told us he hasn't bought the new iPhone 4.

As a matter of fact, neither do you. As you have said recently, you are on Verison and you are boycotting AT&T.
post #113 of 317
Here's a thought. Let's sue the American Bar Association for its part in creating and perpetuating an environment in which the first reaction to what might be a product flaw is a legal proceeding, without giving the manufacturer the opportunity to investigate claims, establish their legitimacy, and offer upgrades, modifications, or compensation should the claims not be proved groundless.

It's a class action, and the members of the class are every single consumer in America who has ever purchased anything from a company with a legal department that has ever had to defend itself against a claim that has been deemed spurious. In other words, about 308 million of us.

You know what's utterly perverse? I guarantee we'd find lawyers to file a suit like this.
post #114 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

What is wrong with you?
post #115 of 317
A few people I work with are already joining in on the lawsuit.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #116 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, it's not at all similar, and saying that it is trivializes the ordeal of a rape victim . The comparison is highly offensive to me, and I'm sure to more than a few others.

It's not similar, to you. But the analogy makes sense.
post #117 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Do you ever have anything of substance to say?

According to you, no.
post #118 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

You can't possibly know it's not an issue in one out of every 5 iPhone 4's sold. 'Cause you don't know.
post #119 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

As I have been warned several times: "Stop making sense."

I agree that we need more time to see how this all plays out.
If this is a design flaw then ALL 4G phones would have the same signal loss issue.
That is not happening...not all 4Gs have the signal loss. It is avery small percentage.
Do all the 4Gs have the same software installed? If so then how will a software update fix the issue?
Does apple use differnt manufacturers to make the phone? lets say they have 3 differnt companies making the phone. Maybe one of them had a production problem. That might explain why some have the issue while other do not.....
I am waiting to get mine replaced. Hopefully the new one won't have the same issue.

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #120 of 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I never really paid much attention to something like reception or how many bars my phone had before this issue but I did a little test last night.

We have an HTC Evo, HTC Incredible and an iPhone. Depending on where you hold each phone you can go from 5 to 2 bars on every phone. I thought that was interesting because I never really paid attention to it before.

I don't currently own an iPhone 4 so I can't say if there is really an issue but it appears the signal can drop a bit with any smartphone based on where you hold it or the antenna location.

However I see my Apple stock is taking a beating today.

It's the market that's taking a beating, AAPL is going along for the ride. It was up yesterday in the teeth of all this blog hysteria.

Your informal testing confirms what I have suspected all along. When someone suggests that what one normally experiences is a problem, it suddenly becomes a problem.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Law firm exploring class action suit over iPhone 4 reception issues