or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AppleCare memo emphasizes no free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception

AppleCare memo emphasizes no free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception

post #1 of 213
A purported internal memo to AppleCare representatives explicitly tells employees that the company is not "appeasing customers with free bumpers," and instructs them to advise customers to avoid grasping the lower left corner of the handset.

The document, allegedly obtained by Boy Genius Report, covers the same territory as a statement from the company last week. Apple has advised its customers to avoid gripping the iPhone 4 in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band.

But it also uses strong language to inform AppleCare representatives that Apple is not giving away free protective "bumpers," which the company has said help to alleviate the reception issues.

"We ARE NOT appeasing customers with free bumpers -- DON'T promise a free bumper to customers," the memo reads.

The information follows speculation that Apple could opt to give away its protective bumpers for free, in order to address issues for users who have experienced reception issues with the iPhone 4. Analyst Shaw Wu has said he sees the prospect of Apple giving out free bumper cases as the "worst case" scenario for the company.

Last week, Apple said that any mobile phone experiences connectivity issues when held int he wrong way. In fact, the alleged AppleCare support document advises representatives that users should avoid holding the iPhone 3GS -- last year's handset -- on the bottom right side.

"Gripping almost any mobile phone in certain areas will reduce its reception," the document reads. "This is true of the iPhone 4, the iPhone 3GS, and many other phones we have tested. It is a fact of life in the wireless world."

It also states that the wireless performance of the iPhone 4 is the best of any handset Apple has ever shipped, and testing shows that the overall performance is better than with the iPhone 3GS. However, the documentation makes no mention of a possible software fix.
post #2 of 213
Seriously, this stuff is going to come back to haunt this company. Let's wait and see.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #3 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Seriously, this stuff is going to come back to haunt this company. Let's wait and see.

Unfortunately not. Apple has so much control and error-cushoning cash that I will feel no devastating effects, unless the market completely crashes

Apple increments product features one bite at a time...hence the logo. Want the next big thing? You're gonna have to pick another fruit from the Apple Tree.

Apple increments product features one bite at a time...hence the logo. Want the next big thing? You're gonna have to pick another fruit from the Apple Tree.

post #4 of 213
I have a feeling this won't end well for Apple.
post #5 of 213
Looks like Lefties are at a disadvantage. I'm sticking with my blackberry until iPhone 5 or 6, I already had the first 3.

post #6 of 213
Apple's statement is completely accurate. My iPhone 4 gets much better reception and data speeds than my 3G. Andy Ihnatko, summed it up nicely in his thorough and unbiased review.

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/i...-ihnatko-revie...
In regards to Signal Issues: "Bottom line on this bit: be aware of the problem ... but overall, dont worry about it."
post #7 of 213
Apple jumping the shark!

let's design an antenna as the frame and not insulate it and not give a shit about the reception quality. just so Jony Ives can jizz himself and explain how important it is to have sex with all different materials.

FAIL

PS - not trolling, big fanboi here. just think this whole episode stinks!

PSS - i hope this can be remedied in a software update so I can feel good about getting the white one.
post #8 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

In regards to Signal Issues: "Bottom line on this bit: be aware of the problem ... but overall, dont worry about it."

Classic Kool Aid logic.
post #9 of 213
A friend of mine who works for Applecare saw the ACTUAL document. And this isn't it.
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
post #10 of 213
Doomed I say! Wait...what?
post #11 of 213
Quote:

Apple's statement is completely accurate. My iPhone 4 gets much better reception and data speeds than my 3G. Andy Ihnatko, summed it up nicely in his thorough and unbiased review.

I wouldn't call Ihnatko's review totally unbiased. He dropped the phone once and the back glass panel broke yet he proceeded to chastise himself.
post #12 of 213
"Bumpers? I don't gots to cho you no stinking bumpers!"

[with apologies to Treasure of the Sierra Madres]
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #13 of 213
Oh for the love of god. There is nothing wrong here. People just want something to bitch about for ANY new item.
post #14 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

Apple jumping the shark!

let's design an antenna as the frame and not insulate it and not give a shit about the reception quality. just so Jony Ives can jizz himself and explain how important it is to have sex with all different materials.

FAIL

PSS - i hope this can be remedied in a software update so I can feel good about getting the white one.

What episode?

Seriously? The overblown anti-apple rants?

There is nothing to see here. Only a tiny fraction of people are having this issue (of course, the most vocal fraction too it seems) but no amount of 'me too'-ing makes it a significant problem.

My phone does not do this. Does not. At all. And I've tried.

Wow, big fuckup Apple - you accidentally shipped me one of the SECRET WORKING ONES WITH NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER...just like you did to the 99.99% of other first day customers out there.

Get over yourselves before this thread just turns into another 'OMG Apl fa!lz0rz' one...
post #15 of 213
Has anyone actually tried this?

I have tried to hold the phone when on a call in the incorrect way, i.e. covering the black strip with the palm of your hand. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE! You can't cover the left black strip in your left hand without seriously blocking the phone from reaching your face. It is just not a natural position to hold the phone while on a call. You actually hold the phone with your fingers not your palm.
post #16 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingdm View Post

Oh for the love of god. There is nothing wrong here. People just want something to bitch about for ANY new item.

You waited three years just to post that? Come on, who are you really?

That being said, I wonder why Daniel Eran Dilger didn't write this piece
post #17 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Classic Kool Aid logic.

Do you have an iPhone 4?

Are you able to reproduce this problem?

Or are you just jumping onto this brand new bandwagon?
post #18 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

I have tried to hold the phone when on a call in the incorrect way, i.e. covering the black strip with the palm of your hand. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE! You can't cover the left black strip in your left hand without seriously blocking the phone from reaching your face. It is just not a natural position to hold the phone while on a call. You actually hold the phone with your fingers not your palm.

Umm, it's the natural position to hold the phone when using the Internet -- holding in your palm and using either your left thumb or right hand to operate the device.

Using this method, I go to one bar or no signal which means no internet connectivity.
post #19 of 213
Quote:

Very nice review, but you may want to correct the link?
post #20 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

Apple jumping the shark!

FAIL

because it's so rampant?
hundreds of thousands are having the problem?
4's are being returned to their of purchase in huge numbers because users can't make a call?
demand for the product has dropped?
people did not get in line early today because ATT got their walk-in stock?
is it not taking 3 weeks for new orders to ship directly from apple.

if you're a victim, sorry, return it.

while I've seen plenty of people who say they can replicate it, I haven't seen anyone saying they're going to return it.

apple just needs to sit this out and wait. they need to take the return from anyone who wants one and undo any changes to their contracts.

note: there are 3 iphone 4's in my office, neither their owners nor I have seen this problem.. curiously one guy bought a pair for him and his wife.. wife has the problem on either one of their phones, he can't make it happen to save his life
post #21 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Classic Kool Aid logic.

You obviously know nothing about Andy I.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #22 of 213
Quote:

I like and respect Andy's reporting, but come on, the only way most folks would be aware of it is when they experience it, at which point, when I pay $200 for a phone and $90+ for monthly services, I am damn sure going to worry about it.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #23 of 213
There's one way to stick it to Apple for not addressing or fixing this problem: RETURN IT FOR A REFUND! Most of you still have at least 25 days to do so. Nothing would speak louder than massive returns if this problem really does affect all iPhone 4's.
post #24 of 213
seriously, if it bugs you so much, return it.
the return policy is there exactly for situations like this.
post #25 of 213
Apple had better hope this can be fixed with a software patch.

iPhone 4 in Vietnam having the dropped signal issue. So much for the bad batch theory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC3EyEvd3g4

& UK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_4Gdtul5cU
post #26 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

You obviously know nothing about Andy I.

true that, he is not a Dave Pouge or a Walt Mossburg style apple fanboy, he is a fair and down the middle guy who may have gotten it a little wrong on this one.
post #27 of 213
First of, I own an iPhone 4 and I have yet to drop a call. When I heard about this "left handed" grip I tried it, and 35 minutes later not a dropped moment in my call.

If you look into ANY cell phone model there is a documented item telling you & I the "consumer" how the phone will best perform with a signal depending on how you hold it, Samsung, Nokia, Blackberry, Sony , they ALL have these issues and ALL have some form of documentation on this.

So as far as Free bumpers and all that crap, QUIT being a self entitled public!!!

Also, note that even when you do hold it and say the "signal bars" drop, this does NOT MEAN you will drop the call, seriously is everyone just effing stupid?

I work for a cell carrier (no not AT&T) but I have to side with Apple on this and even AT&T.

Just use the phone or you know what? RETURN the device and see how long you can live with out it.

Just shut up, use it and move on.
post #28 of 213
Wow, now THAT'S what I call customer service!!!!

I guess Steve didn't want to pass up on another mercedes to fix his f-up.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #29 of 213
iPhone 4 Reception Loss with Paperclip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgouz...=youtube_gdata
post #30 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

There's one way to stick it to Apple for not addressing or fixing this problem: RETURN IT FOR A REFUND! Most of you still have at least 25 days to do so. Nothing would speak louder than massive returns if this problem really does affect all iPhone 4's.

Yup... those 12 returns will really affect Apple's bottom line.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #31 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Darn! I always hold paperclips in my hand while talking on the phone! I guess I shouldn't get the iPhone 4.
post #32 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

That video is obviously CGI'd. There is NO evidence for signal reception problems. What you've been told is a lie.

Steve Jobs said so.

Ste...

Ste...
post #33 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

You waited three years just to post that? Come on, who are you really?

That being said, I wonder why Daniel Eran Dilger didn't write this piece

Even Daniel can't spin this one. There is either a real problem, or just a bunch of pissed off early buyers who got burned again by first release iPhone bugs.
post #34 of 213
I have both iPhone 3G and 4 - the reception on the 4 is much worse- it constantly drops calls and when I hold it in my left hand, I can see the bars go down.. Major fu**up!
post #35 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

Darn! I always hold paperclips in my hand while talking on the phone! I guess I shouldn't get the iPhone 4.

No, that would be unreasonable. The only situation you should consider not getting the iPhone 4 is if you grasp the phone with your hand. But nobody does that anyways.

Ste...

Ste...
post #36 of 213
steve jobs is demonstrating apples newest product called: iTheft, a magical new way of gaining access to consumers' wallets.

Looks like it is time to return all of these iphones and join the Class Action Law Suit that has been filed.

here: http://www.kcrlegal.com/iPhone-reception-problems.aspx

If your Fascist-Dictator jobs told All you fanibois to eat his sh$t y'all would kneel and gobble. I think jobs second-hand liver has failed and all the toxins have gone to his brain, and this is why he has become a bigger aHole than he use to be.
post #37 of 213
Apple, you have to pick one:

1) All cell phones have this problem, it's a fact of life, nothing can be done

OR

2) This is a problem that can be solved with a small ring of plastic

You can't have it both ways. Idiots. And if the problem is solved with a small ring of plastic, then why isn't that PART OF THE DESIGN OF THE PHONE?

I was at an Apple store yesterday and was able to replicate the problem on the first try no problem. Holding the phone loosely in my left hand (as I normally do, since I'm right-handed) prevented me from receiving any data in any apps. When held by the glass, the phone worked as expected.

Oddly enough the phone showed 2-3 bars of reception even while not being able to download any data at all. So it is worthless to look at the bars and conclude that you don't suffer from an antenna problem.
post #38 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post

Looks like Lefties are at a disadvantage.

uhm, no ...?

lefties? i'm right handed and hold my iPhone 3GS and iphone 4 in my left hand. like most good god-fearing christians. and i can reproduce this *problem* 100% of the time.

Quote:
Apple has advised its customers to avoid gripping the iPhone 4 in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band.

sorry. didn't have this *problem* with the 3GS.

let's see. i pay at&t for unlimited bytes. except they tell me i can't use those bytes for tethering or facetime or whatever else will bring their network to its knees. . now i have apple telling me i must not hold my phone in a certain way? give me an effing break. what's next? don't masturbate next to the wall, you'll injure your wrist?

seriously, i'm a fanboy of 30 years (and no boy) and an apple shareholder but this is ludicrous.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #39 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

When I pick up my iPhone and put it in my left hand the left corner of the iPhone naturally fits snuggly in my palm, as I hold it to the side of my face to make a call it stays in exactly the same position and quickly leads to a failed call. I can still make calls because I can hold it differently, but making calls is actually worse than surfing because a) you can't see where you're gripping the phone b) you're only using one hand instead of sometimes two and c) the phones not parallel as much to the ground so there's more chance it could slip down through your fingers than if it were held flat.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #40 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Yup... those 12 returns will really affect Apple's bottom line.

If it's only 12 returns, then we'll know this isn't a widespread problem, won't we?

But I can count at least quadruple that number of people on Apple's own forums claiming to have total loss of reception when they hold their phone. Maybe it only affects a certain number of phones, maybe all. We won't know until we know.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AppleCare memo emphasizes no free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception