or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AppleCare memo emphasizes no free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AppleCare memo emphasizes no free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception - Page 5

post #161 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytorx1 View Post

Thank you!!! and that's why I only just registered today to comment back on some of the BS people are just screaming for the sake of it.

Seriously, it's bad? you unhappy? return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

This is getting silly...

Seemingly the same group of folks on this Forum are screaming at Apple here... The Sky Is Falling...

Others say what I've been thinking:

Shut Up and Return It? But the screamers don't seem to respond to that! So then I wonder:

what do they really want? Are they trolls, or whatever?

Then there are those who try to recreate this issue and can't! The funniest yet was the guy whose wife had this issue with 2 of their phones, but the guy/husband can't recreate this issue, and same goes for most others who have bought this product which is hardly available because of the huge demand!

Most people use iPhone with Cases! Many use it with Hands-free Ear Pieces, wired or Bluetooth, thus this issue won't come up in those cases!

Of course there are always those to whom Steve Jobs is a Devil..., and so they wish him, a cancer survivor, a speedy death, or so it seems from their venomous comments!

So... If most people are not having this issue, and Apple can't meet the demand, is it fair to be demanding free Bumpers?

Apple refuses to be dragged into this topic, as they are likely working on a fix...
Apple doesn't want to acknowledge this as a problem, cause they don't feel that it is!
Apple's Refund Policy allows for Return of their products, and I assume that includes item!

So, by dealing with this the way Apple is, Apple is calling some people's bluff -- Shut Up, or Return it for a Refund...

People are free to buy another phone, or design their own!

As I've read some antenna expert:

It's always a trade off! Apple took this antenna to the edge for better reception, because they understand that most people will use the case, and or Hands-Free!

With all the conflicting reports, plus no problem for most people, it's hard to know what the best fix would be!

I am getting suspicious of the same names here SCREAMING at Apple!
Again I say:

Apple is calling your bluff -- Shut Up, or Return it for a Refund!

Buy another phone, or design their own!

Reason why Apple is so good because the people who are screaming, come together as a group and cause the SJ/Exec team sit up and listen to the concerns. So please do not try and stop people from screaming, since I can bet you grumbled/screamed about some product that was not to your satisfaction, we all have. Thats are RIGHT as the consumer and spending our hard earned money!

Each to their own and voice your opinions!

If you do not like the screaming and comments, then leave the discussion thread
post #162 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Reason why Apple is so good because the people who are screaming, come together as a group and cause the SJ/Exec team sit up and listen to the concerns. So please do not try and stop people from screaming, since I can bet you grumbled/screamed about some product that was not to your satisfaction, we all have. Thats are RIGHT as the consumer and spending our hard earned money!

Each to their own and voice your opinions!

If you do not like the screaming and comments, then leave the discussion thread

Yeah!!!! Scream it up then Apple will take notice.

BTW just got my iPad wooooooooooooooooooooo

Sent from my iPad with no apparent reception issues.
post #163 of 213
Hi All,

For all the apple haters and MS lovers, this should cook your goose, if you using this issue has reason to say Apple is no better than MS.

see admission of Apple quality over MS by MS employees!

http://www.crn.com/software/225701869
post #164 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yeah!!!! Scream it up then Apple will take notice.

BTW just got my iPad wooooooooooooooooooooo

Sent from my iPad with no apparent reception issues.

I really dislike you iPad not in India until 2011? btw if you get caught bringing one into the country it is 36% tax charge on the original cost.
post #165 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

I've read them, and seen a headline about it on every single major news outlet. Since the phone works better than the previous gen for me there is no waaaaaaay it's more than anything other than hysterics.

Some indications point to Apple working on a solution as you are reading this: http://whitehatfirm.com/news/apple-w...blem/3077.html
post #166 of 213
Hi All,

Fresh noob here so go easy

Doesn't having to wear a bumper negate how fantastic the phone looks? i.e. slimmer etc
post #167 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I really dislike you iPad not in India until 2011? btw if you get caught bringing one into the country it is 36% tax charge on the original cost.

iPad not coming to Malaysia until gawd knows when. Just got it from local tech trading forum. Luckily most of these guys bringing the iPad in don't get taxed because it's considered computer item and not taxed when bringing into Malaysia. AFAIK. Only risk is that if something goes wrong then I have to get the "dealer" to try and send it back to the USA to claim the warranty.

iPhone is all great and that but iPad really is a new computing platform, a new paradigm. Sure it's only iOS right now, but in the next few years it will become more and more powerful, you can see Apple is really committed to this. Macs will still be important but will become more and more consumer oriented and OSX will start to be heavily influenced by iOS.
post #168 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post

Also, using electrical tape on your phone seems a bit... ridiculous. But I assume this is acceptable since it's by Apple, not the competition.

It's a temporary fix while waiting for the software update that Apple told Mossberg would be forthcoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Apropos of nothing, but...

Those rabid Apple-hating denizens at MacDailyNews have a poll on the reception issue, the results at the time of my visit following:

No issues - iP4 - 43.7%
No issues - 3Gs - 19.6%
No issues - 3G - 10.8%
Issues - iP4 - 21.2%
Issues - 3Gs - 2.9%
Issues - 3G - 1.8%

All phones running iOS 4
Total of 1746 votes

Make of that what you will but I doubt that we're looking at 1%-ish numbers. And nope, I have no idea why the poll was constructed as it was. Interesting that the 3G and 3Gs "issues" are much lower proportionally than the 3G and 3Gs "no issues" numbers. Which seems to suggest that the 3G and 3Gs are much less prone to reception problems than some believe.

In the end though, it's hardly scientific. Intriguing maybe...

Not even close to scientific. Who is more likely to read an article on iPhone reception problems? Those who have the problem or those who don't? It's called a self-selecting sample.

More importantly, it doesn't even address the real issue that's ignore. Yes, a lot of people can duplicate the problem when they set out to do so. But how many of them really have a problem when holding the phone normally to make a call? I can duplicate the problem if I try, but when I make a phone call, my hand is nowhere near the key location - and my call stability is much better than my previous iPhone.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #169 of 213
Why is everybody making such a big deal about this, I have had absolutely no problems with my iPhne 4 and I am also left handed. I think this all sounds like sour grapes on behalf of the competition and others are just jumping on the bandwagon using poor signal as a design issue instead of just admitting that the problem is a network problem.

This is getting so ridiculous I heard someone on the radio here in the UK today complaining about the signal problem who admitted that he doesn't even have or even seen the iPhone 4.

This is a great product everything works perfectly and I have an iphone 2G, 3G, 3GS and iPad 3G and the iPhone 4 is by far more superior
post #170 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingdm View Post

Oh for the love of god. There is nothing wrong here. People just want something to bitch about for ANY new item.

Seconded...

I still find it really hard to believe that people are in such a tizzy about this. Just buy a stinking case and be done with it. You're still going to be getting the best damn phone on the market today. Just pony up $25 and stop all the stupid whining.

Sorry about that. I'm normally not quite so blunt, but this has just gone on way too long. If the antenna is such a huge deal breaker, then don't buy the phone. Otherwise, buy a case and shut up already.
post #171 of 213
Apple hiring iPhone antenna engineers for some reason



Maybe they should have done that the first time
post #172 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stkorean View Post

steve jobs is demonstrating apples newest product called: iTheft, a magical new way of gaining access to consumers' wallets.

Looks like it is time to return all of these iphones and join the Class Action Law Suit that has been filed.

here: http://www.kcrlegal.com/iPhone-reception-problems.aspx

If your Fascist-Dictator jobs told All you fanibois to eat his sh$t y'all would kneel and gobble. I think jobs second-hand liver has failed and all the toxins have gone to his brain, and this is why he has become a bigger aHole than he use to be.

OK genius... If you return the iPhone 4 for a refund, what exactly is your justification for participating in the class action case?
post #173 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Apple hiring iPhone antenna engineers for some reason



Maybe they should have done that the first time

They probably did have people at these positions. Chances are Jobs fired the team that worked on the antenna system.
post #174 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post

Apple, you have to pick one:

1) All cell phones have this problem, it's a fact of life, nothing can be done

OR

2) This is a problem that can be solved with a small ring of plastic

You can't have it both ways. Idiots. And if the problem is solved with a small ring of plastic, then why isn't that PART OF THE DESIGN OF THE PHONE?

Actually, no they don't. There are two separate problems that are actually being lumped together as one. The first problem you list the argument for is simple signal attenuation due to covering the area of the phone that houses the antenna. This is the problem that would exist with any phone to some degree. Radio signals don't travel very well through water unless at very low frequency. The human body being composed primarily of water well do a great job attenuating a cell phone signal under the right conditions.

The second issue that you sarcastically speak of is the creation of a short between the antennas. This is created by physical contact with the antennas. One big reason that some people have this problem and others don't is that the conductivity of the human body varies greatly. This is why someone posted that he has never been able to make this happen on either of his phones but his wife can make it happen on both. This is also the reason that the bumpers eliminate this particular problem but do nothing for actual signal attenuation.

So, you should be able to see that Apple can easily have it both ways. The thing Apple is guilty of here is not doing a better job in clarifying the issues. There are two issues working here, and one can indeed be solved by the bumpers or any other case for that matter. The other issue is simple physics and the last time I checked we are all pretty much stuck with that. So next time you may want to be a bit more cautious before you start accusing people of being idiots.
post #175 of 213
AnandTech detailed analysis of the iPhone4 antenna :

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2
post #176 of 213
I too have tried to replicate this problem, and I can't. My phone works fine, and I don't have a case on it.
post #177 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I can understand saying no to free bumbers, but telling people they hold their phone the wrong way is not a good thing to say to your customers. Say somethng like its true that holding iPhone a certain way is not the best practice and that they will work to help make it better, but don't tell people who paid for the phone that they are wrong. Customer is always right, even when they are wrong.

I disagree, as Herb Kelleher said: "the customer is not always right, and sometimes the customer is wrong". He's one of my favorite entrepreneurs. The airline that actually gives a genuine shit about their customers. They even drive you home personally if you're not feeling well. But if you're a trouble-maker they ban you for life. So decent costumers don't have to put up with you.

In this particular instance however, the customer is simply trying to hold their phone, so they are most definitely not "wrong".
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #178 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3centurion View Post

Why is everybody making such a big deal about this, I have had absolutely no problems with my iPhne 4 and I am also left handed. I think this all sounds like sour grapes on behalf of the competition and others are just jumping on the bandwagon using poor signal as a design issue instead of just admitting that the problem is a network problem.

This is getting so ridiculous I heard someone on the radio here in the UK today complaining about the signal problem who admitted that he doesn't even have or even seen the iPhone 4.

This is a great product everything works perfectly and I have an iphone 2G, 3G, 3GS and iPad 3G and the iPhone 4 is by far more superior

Just got my phone yesterday and I'm happy to report that I can't reproduce the signal issue with any consistency (if at all). I tried last night by placing my finger over the seam on the lower left side and it took almost 20 seconds to lose 1 bar. After waiting another ten seconds and not losing any more bars, I pulled my finger away from the seam and the bar did not return. The bar finally came back about a minute later. It seems to me it may even have been a normal signal fluctuation.

This morning, I showed the phone to a friend of mine/colleague. He held the phone in his left hand with the butt of his palm placed squarely across the seam for what must have been 10 minutes playing with various things and it didn't even lose 1 bar. As others have said, this is very un-scientific, but it certainly appears that not all phones seem to be affected.
post #179 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

As others have said, this is very un-scientific, but it certainly appears that not all phones seem to be affected.

All iPhone 4's are affected. There is a reason you are not seeing the issue at your particular location. Here's a new, detailed scientific test/review of the iPhone 4 antenna issue -

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2
post #180 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Actually, no they don't. There are two separate problems that are actually being lumped together as one. The first problem you list the argument for is simple signal attenuation due to covering the area of the phone that houses the antenna. This is the problem that would exist with any phone to some degree. Radio signals don't travel very well through water unless at very low frequency. The human body being composed primarily of water well do a great job attenuating a cell phone signal under the right conditions.

The second issue that you sarcastically speak of is the creation of a short between the antennas. This is created by physical contact with the antennas. One big reason that some people have this problem and others don't is that the conductivity of the human body varies greatly. This is why someone posted that he has never been able to make this happen on either of his phones but his wife can make it happen on both. This is also the reason that the bumpers eliminate this particular problem but do nothing for actual signal attenuation.

I think you may be right on this. It's best that we wait to see what happens if there is a software update in the next two weeks to alleviate the issue but I get the feeling it won't.

Throughout all of this, the impression I get is that Apple is a great computer company but an average, at best, phone maker. They can make great computer the size of a phone but they can't make a great phone.
post #181 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

All iPhone 4's are affected. There is a reason you are not seeing the issue at your particular location. Here's a new, detailed scientific test/review of the iPhone 4 antenna issue -

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2

Very interesting read, thanks. It would certainly seem to explain my results. Either way, I can't complain.
post #182 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

All iPhone 4's are affected. There is a reason you are not seeing the issue at your particular location. Here's a new, detailed scientific test/review of the iPhone 4 antenna issue -

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2

This doesn't address the seam issue at all. This just describes the manner in which iP4s are affected by the signal/antenna problems that affects all cell phones.
post #183 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

All iPhone 4's are affected. There is a reason you are not seeing the issue at your particular location. Here's a new, detailed scientific test/review of the iPhone 4 antenna issue -

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2

Yeah I agree. They write some amazing articles over there.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #184 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This doesn't address the seam issue at all. This just describes the manner in which iP4s are affected by the signal/antenna problems that affects all cell phones.

Yeah, and the iPhone 4 you'll notice is affected by holding the phone is a regular manner way more than the 3G S. I think you'll find that makes the iPhone have worse reception when you're holing it, without a case, which is the way some people like to hold it. From where I'm standing that's a step backwards with regards to antenna design of the iPhone 4 compared to the 2G, the 3G and the 3G S.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #185 of 213
When will people learn not to buy 1st iteration hardware from Apple (and others too)? Invariably Apple's 1st gen hardware comes with warts and the iPhone 4 wars are pretty spectacular. Apple really should have done a better job with testing, or if they did, it just goes to show they have contempt for their customers, of which I am one (Mac Mini, Macbook Pro 13", iPhone 3GS, iPod 5.5). Ha, provide a phone with a problem and then refuse to provide a free bumper. Instead charge $29 for a $2 piece of rubber.

After this fiasco, I most likely will drop my iPhone for an android or just go back to a dumb phone. Unlike what Apple says, I can hold my 3GS in any manner and my reception is not affected...not that it is great anyway. I have had much more trouble with the iPhone/AT&T than I ever did with Sprint.

Next summer we will see if this mess has worked itself out....

[What scares me is that people are more concerned about their iPhones than the oil spill in the GOM. If folks were to check out what many engineers are saying regarding fixing this torrent of oil - if it can be fixed - they would stop bitching about their phones as a whole]
post #186 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop92679 View Post

Wow, I can't believe the level of denials, and the arrogant way customers are being treated by Apple. I put a case around my iPhone IV, and it helps. However, the phone still looses the signal in 2-3 minutes rather than 20-30 seconds.

I really think this is, potentially, a securities law issue because this appears to be a very material problem that Apple seems to be covering up. Also, some of the conflicting statements really concern me. By not openly and honestly addressing the signal issue, you have to really start doubting the integrity of the executive officers and board.

If the phones are all defective & need to be recalled, Apple should just do it.

If there is a software / service configuration fix, then Apple should say that.

Why can't they just tell all of us the truth about what is going on?

IMO, to blame users or deny the problem, is VERY dishonest and people should be held accountable for that conduct. While this isn't a BP level issue, it's not OK for companies to act like this.


Exactly why I have been branded a troll round here. People are in denial and calling me "negative". Apple crossed the line here. I'll be highly recommending against the iPhone 4 on principle alone. This just showed Apple at their worst.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #187 of 213
Apple's policy of "not appeasing" iPhone 4 customers unhappy with the reception problems of their newly purchased phones surely reflects incredibly poor business judgment. Especially when the fix is as simple as supplying customers with bumpers rather than charging them another $30.00 to make their phones fully functional. It appears that fantastic success has bred a culture of amazing dumbness and arrogance at Apple. This is the kind of "small" issue that can cut a company's share price in half over a year or so. It's happened again and again in the history of American business and people do not seem to learn. What a shame!
post #188 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah, and the iPhone 4 you'll notice is affected by holding the phone is a regular manner way more than the 3G S. I think you'll find that makes the iPhone have worse reception when you're holing it, without a case, which is the way some people like to hold it. From where I'm standing that's a step backwards with regards to antenna design of the iPhone 4 compared to the 2G, the 3G and the 3G S.

Actually, the article went on to state that at the -113dB level, the iPhone 4 outperformed the 3GS. So yes, placing the antenna on the outside where it can be subjected to significant attenuation, it does (at least according to the article) appear to perform better under those low signal strength conditions. I've only had my phone a day, but I haven't dropped any calls yet. One thing I do notice is that the iPhone 4 is reporting less "signal strength" than my wife's 3G when both are placed side by side.
post #189 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah, and the iPhone 4 you'll notice is affected by holding the phone is a regular manner way more than the 3G S. I think you'll find that makes the iPhone have worse reception when you're holing it, without a case, which is the way some people like to hold it. From where I'm standing that's a step backwards with regards to antenna design of the iPhone 4 compared to the 2G, the 3G and the 3G S.

Yet,

Quote:
From my day of testing, I've determined that the iPhone 4 performs much better than the 3GS in situations where signal is very low, at -113 dB (1 bar). Previously, dropping this low all but guaranteed that calls would drop, fail to be placed, and data would no longer be transacted at all. I can honestly say that I've never held onto so many calls and data simultaneously on 1 bar at -113 dB as I have with the iPhone 4, so it's readily apparent that the new baseband hardware is much more sensitive compared to what was in the 3GS. The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use.

Stop confounding the 2 separate issues here. The first issue, which you and the above quote are referring to is a non-issue: The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use. The second issue related to bridging the seam seems to be a real issue. If you were more rational on this topic, you might get more traction and not be perceived as having gone off the deep end.
post #190 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Exactly why I have been branded a troll round here. People are in denial and calling me "negative". Apple crossed the line here. I'll be highly recommending against the iPhone 4 on principle alone. This just showed Apple at their worst.

No, people are branding you a troll and calling you negative because you're completely irrational on this topic. You're in a hysterical frenzy which no amount of fact and logic can penetrate. Pull yourself together, reclaim your reason, and maybe you'll be taken seriously again.
post #191 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

uhm, no ...?

don't masturbate next to the wall, you'll injure your wrist?

You still can do it, just change your hand
post #192 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

When I pick up my iPhone and put it in my left hand the left corner of the iPhone naturally fits snuggly in my palm, as I hold it to the side of my face to make a call it stays in exactly the same position and quickly leads to a failed call.

Maybe your anatomy is different than mine, but if I hold the lower left corner cupped in the palm of my hand and then hold the phone to my ear with the bottom normally oriented near my mouth, my left elbow is twisted into the middle of my chest-hardly a comfortable way to hold a phone.

For me, the most comfortable position is my thumb just below the volume buttons and my middle and ring fingers just over the SIM slot - quite a distance from the black strip. That puts my arm and elbow in a comfortable position - and doesn't cause any connection problems.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #193 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Actually, the article went on to state that at the -113dB level, the iPhone 4 outperformed the 3GS. So yes, placing the antenna on the outside where it can be subjected to significant attenuation, it does (at least according to the article) appear to perform better under those low signal strength conditions. I've only had my phone a day, but I haven't dropped any calls yet. One thing I do notice is that the iPhone 4 is reporting less "signal strength" than my wife's 3G when both are placed side by side.

Agreed. Not only have I not dropped any calls, but the sound quality is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesong View Post

Apple's policy of "not appeasing" iPhone 4 customers unhappy with the reception problems of their newly purchased phones surely reflects incredibly poor business judgment. Especially when the fix is as simple as supplying customers with bumpers rather than charging them another $30.00 to make their phones fully functional. It appears that fantastic success has bred a culture of amazing dumbness and arrogance at Apple. This is the kind of "small" issue that can cut a company's share price in half over a year or so. It's happened again and again in the history of American business and people do not seem to learn. What a shame!

The problem is that available evidence indicates that the problem is minor for most people holding their phones normally and Apple has stated that there will be a software fix. Running around giving away hardware when a simple software fix will fix the problem (and when the majority of people don't have a problem, anyway) is going to be WORSE for Apple from a PR standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This [Anand's article] doesn't address the seam issue at all. This just describes the manner in which iP4s are affected by the signal/antenna problems that affects all cell phones.

Actually, it does. They address the effects of holding the phone in various ways - including 'cupping it in the hand' which is one way to get the seam issues.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #194 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Apple has stated that there will be a software fix.

Apple has stated no such thing.
post #195 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Apple hiring iPhone antenna engineers for some reason



Maybe they should have done that the first time

Unbelievably hilarious. My iPad has some decent 3G reception so far, I am testing it now.
post #196 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Apple won't just not give me a new bumper they won't give me a replacement phone either. I was told that clearly by a level 2 technician today having been told last Friday, by the exact same technician that they would replace the phone if they couldn't fix it. The technician said there was no point giving me a new phone because it would do the same thing and there was no point putting it in for repair because they would find nothing wrong with it so I would just be wasting my time, but he did say I could do that if I wanted to.

I will probably keep the phone though because other than that and a few minor software bugs, I'm amazed at how good it is. Unless a SW fix comes I don't see being able to get a properly functioning phone until at the very minimum a years time if Apple redesigns the antenna, and that's too long for me to want to go without an iPhone. It sucks, but the alternatives suck even more.

The first part of your post does kind of suck, but it seems as if they are at least being straightforward with you.

I have to say though, the second part of your post makes the most sense to me. This is personally what my reaction would be if I had a problematic iPhone 4. My wife has one and as this is her first iPhone she is still adjusting to it. I put a bumper on it before I ever even left the store, so I honestly don't can about the antenna short issue. I am however hoping that a software update might further improve reception stability related to another piece I saw about the frequency switching.

Anyway, thanks for responding with what I think is the most level headed and practical response to this issue.
post #197 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

When will people learn not to buy 1st iteration hardware from Apple (and others too)? Invariably Apple's 1st gen hardware comes with warts and the iPhone 4 wars are pretty spectacular. Apple really should have done a better job with testing, or if they did, it just goes to show they have contempt for their customers, of which I am one (Mac Mini, Macbook Pro 13", iPhone 3GS, iPod 5.5). Ha, provide a phone with a problem and then refuse to provide a free bumper. Instead charge $29 for a $2 piece of rubber.

After this fiasco, I most likely will drop my iPhone for an android or just go back to a dumb phone. Unlike what Apple says, I can hold my 3GS in any manner and my reception is not affected...not that it is great anyway. I have had much more trouble with the iPhone/AT&T than I ever did with Sprint.

Next summer we will see if this mess has worked itself out....

[What scares me is that people are more concerned about their iPhones than the oil spill in the GOM. If folks were to check out what many engineers are saying regarding fixing this torrent of oil - if it can be fixed - they would stop bitching about their phones as a whole]

Well, it's give and take. I got the iPhone 3G which was the new design... It was okay. My Macbook Aluminum showed some problems but after the technicians replaced some parts (these problems developed after a year or so) things are better. My iPad which I have to stop talking about in every post seems okay so far. Still testing it though. The trick is not to completely avoid 1st gen products especially at this rate of innovation, but see a few weeks on what turns up and then see if and how Apple rectify it.
post #198 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, it does. They address the effects of holding the phone in various ways - including 'cupping it in the hand' which is one way to get the seam issues.

Not necessarily. "Cupping it in the hand," is too vague to say with certainty that it actually bridges the seam consistently. For that, there's a very specific test that's been demonstrated that is unambiguous as to what exactly is happening.

It does not seem as though normal holding really represents a problem. But bridging the seam, which could happen, but doesn't necessarily happen, when "cupping it in the hand" does seem to be a real problem, on some, but not all, phones.
post #199 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Apple has stated no such thing {that there would be a software fix}.

Actually, they did. Read Mossberg's review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Not necessarily. "Cupping it in the hand," is too vague to say with certainty that it actually bridges the seam consistently. For that, there's a very specific test that's been demonstrated that is unambiguous as to what exactly is happening.

It does not seem as though normal holding really represents a problem. But bridging the seam, which could happen, but doesn't necessarily happen, when "cupping it in the hand" does seem to be a real problem, on some, but not all, phones.

The point is that holding it cupped in your hand while holding it to your face is extremely awkward and not something that most people are likely to do. The way most people are going to old it will not have the bottom of the phone covered with your palm.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #200 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, they did. Read Mossberg's review.



The point is that holding it cupped in your hand while holding it to your face is extremely awkward and not something that most people are likely to do. The way most people are going to old it will not have the bottom of the phone covered with your palm.



"Yet, in some places where the signal was relatively weak, the iPhone 4 showed no bars, or fewer bars than its predecessor. Apple says that this is a bug it plans to fix, and that it has to do with the way the bars are presented, not the actual ability to make a call. And, in fact, in nearly all of these cases, the iPhone 4 was able to place calls despite the lack of bars."

Apple was referring to a misrepresentation of bars that will be fixed in software, not an actual loss of service, loss of connection speed, lack of data access, or any of these REAL issues people are complaining about. There is a bug fix for a possible misrepresentation, yes. A bug fix for those with impacted service? That has been yet to be discussed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AppleCare memo emphasizes no free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception