or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AppleCare memo emphasizes no free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AppleCare memo emphasizes no free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception - Page 3

post #81 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

solipsism I usually agree with your posts but just because you are not experiencing problems doesn't mean hundreds of thousands of people aren't. It's actually rude to knock those that are having problems and I didn't expect it from you.

Hundreds of thousands?

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #82 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I copied this comment from MacRumors-

"I had to sign up for this forum to post my reply. I am an apple fan. We have 3 computers, 2 iphone 4's ipads, etc.

I bought my iphone 4 on launch day. I also purchased the bumper. I don't know about other people, but I am seeing this issue even with the bumper on. Maybe it doesn't drop off as quick, or as bad with the bumper. Even with the bumper, I've seen it drop from 5 bars to no bars. It never drops to no service, but the data performance goes from 2Mbps downstream to almost nothing.

I am seriously considering returning this phone. I've already sold my 3G. If I return this phone, I will be purchasing a phone from one of Apple's competitors. This upsets me because I have spent a lot of money on iphone apps. I however can not deal with a phone that does not work properly."

:comment by woodchuck- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...955564&page=20

I've seen a lot of other posters say the same thing.

Here is my one issue with this account:

While I absolutely believe this story, I know for a fact that their are thousands of other users who are absolutely NOT able to reproduce the actions described above.
What does that mean??
post #83 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

solipsism I usually agree with your posts but just because you are not experiencing problems doesn't mean hundreds of thousands of people aren't. It's actually rude to knock those that are having problems and I didn't expect it from you.

I have no doubt that there are more than handful that genuinely have this issue with their iPhone 4. (not sure about 200,000+ iPhones with this problem).

I disagree with the idea that Apple should give away a Bumper to everyone. I disagree with the commenters that claim it's a "short circuit" and than Apple simply doesn't know how to make a phone or understand how RF works.

I have stated that Jobs' email reply, while technically correct, was very poorly worded and should not be said (then again, I've thought he terse email replies always had the potential to do plenty of damage and that has no come true).

I've stated on plenty of other threads that I would not put up with this issue and that I would get a new iPhone 4 or return it for a full refund if they actually refused to get me a new one. Nowhere in my post did I mean to imply that users aren't having a legitimate issue.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #84 of 213
This is getting silly...

Seemingly the same group of folks on this Forum are screaming at Apple here... The Sky Is Falling...

Others say what I've been thinking:

Shut Up and Return It? But the screamers don't seem to respond to that! So then I wonder:

what do they really want? Are they trolls, or whatever?

Then there are those who try to recreate this issue and can't! The funniest yet was the guy whose wife had this issue with 2 of their phones, but the guy/husband can't recreate this issue, and same goes for most others who have bought this product which is hardly available because of the huge demand!

Most people use iPhone with Cases! Many use it with Hands-free Ear Pieces, wired or Bluetooth, thus this issue won't come up in those cases!

Of course there are always those to whom Steve Jobs is a Devil..., and so they wish him, a cancer survivor, a speedy death, or so it seems from their venomous comments!

So... If most people are not having this issue, and Apple can't meet the demand, is it fair to be demanding free Bumpers?

Apple refuses to be dragged into this topic, as they are likely working on a fix...
Apple doesn't want to acknowledge this as a problem, cause they don't feel that it is!
Apple's Refund Policy allows for Return of their products, and I assume that includes item!

So, by dealing with this the way Apple is, Apple is calling some people's bluff -- Shut Up, or Return it for a Refund...

People are free to buy another phone, or design their own!

As I've read some antenna expert:

It's always a trade off! Apple took this antenna to the edge for better reception, because they understand that most people will use the case, and or Hands-Free!

With all the conflicting reports, plus no problem for most people, it's hard to know what the best fix would be!

I am getting suspicious of the same names here SCREAMING at Apple!
Again I say:

Apple is calling your bluff -- Shut Up, or Return it for a Refund!

Buy another phone, or design their own!

Go  Apple!!!

Reply

Go  Apple!!!

Reply
post #85 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

let's design an antenna as the frame and not insulate it and not give a shit about the reception quality. .

How about "lets not give away the 10 cent rubber piece because we can still charge $30 FOR IT?

I mean seriously. I watched the keynote and 2 seconds after I saw the antenna design I wondered what would happen if my hand or a coin or key in your pocket bridged the antenna and you got no signal. And Apple acts "surprised"?
post #86 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

solipsism I usually agree with your posts but just because you are not experiencing problems doesn't mean hundreds of thousands of people aren't. It's actually rude to knock those that are having problems and I didn't expect it from you.

Wow.
Now I do question the account you gave in your previous post.
You have clearly pulled the "hundreds of thousands" number out of your a**
It causes one to question your other post.
post #87 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post

Looks like Lefties are at a disadvantage. I'm sticking with my blackberry until iPhone 5 or 6, I already had the first 3.

wow. such a narrow view. i actually know a lot of 'righties' that have iphones.

apple will survive this.
post #88 of 213
I actually understand their policy. If they gave away free bumpers, this would be an admission of a defective product and if a lawsuit ever goes into effect, the judge would use Apple's goodwill efforts to appease just a few unhappy iPhone 4 owners, and turn it into a possible class action suit.
In my past years of working with a major auto manufacturer and we were often told not to give any concession to a customer with a complaint to avoid a potential recall or lemon law return.

I believe that Apple are aware of an actual problem and are working on a software fix, but will release an update that has a very vague description of how the fix was implemented. In a month or two, this will all be forgotten.
post #89 of 213
Any sensible Judge will ask, "Well why didn't you take it back for a refund as is your right?"...

...the end, case closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

These lawyers will get millions and you'll get a $10 coupon. Good luck!
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #90 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

I'm not sure he was knocking people that have problems. I thought he was referring to the rude comments people are making about Apple and Steve Jobs personally.

That's exactly what I was doing, thanks. The thread started unraveling before it could begin.

This morning I ran across someone with the bridging problem with their iPhone 4. Sitting next to phone at a coffee shop he could replicate the issue at will by placing his phone on its side and touching that gap with his finger. No need to "death grip" it, just a downward pointed finger tip. Started with 5 bars and it goes to No Service in about 10 seconds.

My phone sitting next to his does not in any way exert this issue. I've tested it all over, even in areas with EDGE and GPRS (of all things) so I've likely run the gamut on radio types (even with WiFI and BT on and off. Nothing. This tells me it's an issue with the production of those units or a production of chips in those units, perhaps from TriQuint, but not a "design flaw" that "short circuits" the exposed antenna.

Note today was the 7th day I and most of my friends have had an iPhone 4. One had a DOA phone, another had a bad internal mic (not noise cancelation mic), and everyone else I know has perfectly working iPhone 4s. The two with issues got them replaced immediately.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #91 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's exactly what I was doing, thanks. The thread started unraveling before it could begin.

This morning I ran across someone with the bridging problem with their iPhone 4. Sitting next to phone at a coffee shop he could replicate the issue at will by placing his phone on its side and touching that gap with his finger. No need to "death grip" it, just a downward pointed finger tip. Started with 5 bars and it goes to No Service in about 10 seconds.

My phone sitting next to his does not in any way exert this issue. I've tested it all over, even in areas with EDGE and GPRS (of all things) so I've likely run the gamut on radio types (even with WiFI and BT on and off. Nothing. This tells me it's an issue with the production of those units or a production of chips in those units, perhaps from TriQuint, but not a "design flaw" that "short circuits" the exposed antenna.

Note today was the 7th day I and most of my friends have had an iPhone 4. On had a DOA phone, another had a bad internal phone mic (not noise cancelation mic), and everything else I know has perfectly working iPhones. The two with issues got them replaced

I walked into an apple store and was able to replicate the problem on all 12 of the iPhone 4's I tested. Holding the phone exactly as I hold the iPhone 3GS, they all dropped to 0 bars (but not showing no service).

Did you try having your friend hold your phone? Maybe your skin doesn't have the conductivity that he does. I know that I have fairly sweaty palms, so that may be exacerbating the problem.

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply
post #92 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

I actually understand their policy. If they gave away free bumpers, this would be an admission of a defective product and if a lawsuit ever goes into effect, the judge would use Apple's goodwill efforts to appease just a few unhappy iPhone 4 owners, and turn it into a possible class action suit.

The class action part has already happened.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #93 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

I actually understand their policy. If they gave away free bumpers, this would be an admission of a defective product and if a lawsuit ever goes into effect, the judge would use Apple's goodwill efforts to appease just a few unhappy iPhone 4 owners, and turn it into a possible class action suit.
In my past years of working with a major auto manufacturer and we were often told not to give any concession to a customer with a complaint to avoid a potential recall or lemon law return.

I believe that Apple are aware of an actual problem and are working on a software fix, but will release an update that has a very vague description of how the fix was implemented. In a month or two, this will all be forgotten.

Actually, fixes after the fact are inadmissible as evidence of a problem in the first place. The reason is the law does not want to discourage defendants from proactively remedying the problem if there is pending litigation.

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply
post #94 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

I walked into an apple store and was able to replicate the problem on all 12 of the iPhone 4's I tested. Holding the phone exactly as I hold the iPhone 3GS, they all dropped to 0 bars (but not showing no service).

Did you try having your friend hold your phone? Maybe your skin doesn't have the conductivity that he does. I know that I have fairly sweaty palms, so that may be exacerbating the problem.

I tried that in an Apple Store and could replicate the issue with 1 of 17 iPhone 4s on display. They had an iPhone 3GS as lonely number 18.

I've tried everything. pieces of metal (which are more conductive), and even soaked my hand in water that had been ionized by releasing the sodium NetiPot contents into the water dipping to see what salty wet hands could do. Nothing. We're talking about radio frequencies here, not electricity, so this entire concept of a "short circuit" has never made sense to me.


Here are some examples of what salt can do (enjoy!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khW3nLG_xoY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YZJt_Bw3eo
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #95 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... This morning I ran across someone with the bridging problem with their iPhone 4. Sitting next to phone at a coffee shop he could replicate the issue at will by placing his phone on its side and touching that gap with his finger. No need to "death grip" it, just a downward pointed finger tip. Started with 5 bars and it goes to No Service in about 10 seconds.

My phone sitting next to his does not in any way exert this issue. ...

Did you happen to try to make it happen on his phone by you touching it with your finger? Or have him try to make it happen on yours? I mean, I know I don't like people to touch my iPhone either, but, in the interest of science, you know...

EDIT: Ah, I see you have tried it with other iPhones with mixed (mostly negative) results. I will say the fact that it doesn't seem consistently reproducible makes it seem as though it is not a design issue, and not a software problem. It really is starting to look to me like some sort of manufacturing issue.
post #96 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I tried that in an Apple Store and could replicate the issue with 1 of 17 iPhone 4s on display. They had an iPhone 3GS as lonely number 18.

I've tried everything. pieces of metal (which are more conductive), and even soaked my hand in water that had been ionized by releasing the sodium NetiPot contents into the water dipping to see what salty wet hands could do. Nothing. We're talking about radio frequencies here, not electricity, so this entire concept of a "short circuit" has never made sense to me.


Here are some examples of what salt can do (enjoy!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khW3nLG_xoY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YZJt_Bw3eo

Obviously, there is no way to tell what is going on here. Maybe my Apple store got an exceedingly bad batch of iPhones. I even asked fellow random customers to give it a try and the reception dropped on them too.

Even cupping both my hands across the bottom and top halves of my iPhone 3GS, I can't replicate the problem, but it happens easily on every iPhone 4 I have come across.

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply
post #97 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have no doubt that there are more than handful that genuinely have this issue with their iPhone 4. (not sure about 200,000+ iPhones with this problem).

I disagree with the idea that Apple should give away a Bumper to everyone. I disagree with the commenters that claim it's a "short circuit" and than Apple simply doesn't know how to make a phone or understand how RF works.

I have stated that Jobs' email reply, while technically correct, was very poorly worded and should not be said (then again, I've thought he terse email replies always had the potential to do plenty of damage and that has no come true).

I've stated on plenty of other threads that I would not put up with this issue and that I would get a new iPhone 4 or return it for a full refund if they actually refused to get me a new one. Nowhere in my post did I mean to imply that users aren't having a legitimate issue.

Apple won't just not give me a new bumper they won't give me a replacement phone either. I was told that clearly by a level 2 technician today having been told last Friday, by the exact same technician that they would replace the phone if they couldn't fix it. The technician said there was no point giving me a new phone because it would do the same thing and there was no point putting it in for repair because they would find nothing wrong with it so I would just be wasting my time, but he did say I could do that if I wanted to.

I will probably keep the phone though because other than that and a few minor software bugs, I'm amazed at how good it is. Unless a SW fix comes I don't see being able to get a properly functioning phone until at the very minimum a years time if Apple redesigns the antenna, and that's too long for me to want to go without an iPhone. It sucks, but the alternatives suck even more.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #98 of 213
Just give us 29.95.
This seems like Microsoft, not Apple; What the heck happened?
Has corporate greed reached even Apple?
post #99 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

A friend of mine who works for Applecare saw the ACTUAL document. And this isn't it.

For the sake of "fair and balanced" reporting... for heck's sake, get it and post it.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #100 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

A friend of mine who works for Applecare saw the ACTUAL document. And this isn't it.

Then Steve needs to step up and clear the air! Make a statement.
post #101 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Now no one on this forum could ever accuse me of being a fanboy so I had to test this out.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Quote:
Now while not scientific I tested this out with an HTC Evo, HTC Incredible, iPhone 3Gs and iPhone 4 which I got my hands on today via a friend.

Have you seen AnandTech's review of the EVO 4G? He'll likely have a review of the iPhone 4 up tonight or tomorrow.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3791/t...-evo-4g-review
Quote:
All the phones depeding on how you hold them lose bars which is something 99% of us never even take notice if we don't drop the call.

So today including myself we had four tech guys with about 100 years experience combined and we could all get our phones to lose bars based on how we held them but non of them dropped a call or had any real issue including the iPhone 4.

Not sure if there really is a problem because the iPhone 4 wasn't mine and I don't use it everyday but based on what I saw after hours or messing around the iPhone doesn't act any differnetly then any other phone we tested.

That is the experience I have. Attenuation by blocking the signal in some way is common and expected, but the drop from 5 bars to No Service should not be happening to any phone, especially when the only thing touching the phone is a finger tip over the infamous bridge between antennas.


Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Did you happen to try to make it happen on his phone by you touching it with your finger? Or have him try to make it happen on yours? I mean, I know I don't like people to touch my iPhone either, but, in the interest of science, you know...

I can't think of anything we didn't do. Our phones probably need therapy after the way they were molested this morning.

Besides switching phones, we also tried to hold a phone in each hand and then switch hands, and place the two iPhone 4s next to each other. That was interesting as his UTMS antenna was touching my WiFI antenna and vice versa. His dropped to No Service and mine was fine.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #102 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Apple won't just not give me a new bumper they won't give me a replacement phone either. I was told that clearly by a level 2 technician today having been told last Friday, by the exact same technician that they would replace the phone if they couldn't fix it. The technician said there was no point giving me a new phone because it would do the same thing and there was no point putting it in for repair because they would find nothing wrong with it so I would just be wasting my time, but he did say I could do that if I wanted to.

I will probably keep the phone though because other than that and a few minor software bugs, I'm amazed at how good it is. Unless a SW fix comes I don't see being able to get a properly functioning phone until at the very minimum a years time if Apple redesigns the antenna, and that's too long for me to want to go without an iPhone. It sucks, but the alternatives suck even more.

Unfortunately, your alternatives are:

1) get a bumper OR

2) don't hold your phone that way.

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply
post #103 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by macologist View Post

So, by dealing with this the way Apple is, Apple is calling some people's bluff -- Shut Up, or Return it for a Refund...

Nice tactics that! That's a company that prides itself on providing what they claim. Total BS, because your actually right and if I do return my phone that will be what pushes me to do it.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #104 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

These lawyers will get millions and you'll get a $10 coupon. Good luck!

Or, the lawyers will get nothing at all and bear the costs. As I pointed out in another thread, the point of this type of lawsuit, in general, isn't entirely to compensate the class, it's also to discourage companies from engaging in bad behavior with the idea that there's nothing an individual consumer can do about it, and to mete out financial punishment to those who do. So, without a financial incentive to do so, law firms would never bring these suits. They stand to gain financially, but they also assume a certain amount of financial risk. It's the way the legal system in this country has been fashioned to work, and, although it may not be the best of all possible systems, those who would "reform" it do so with the risk of introducing imbalances, or new injustices, that may be worse than the problems they perceive, especially if they think they can do it with simple, one-sided fixes.
post #105 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

uhm, no ...?

lefties? i'm right handed and hold my iPhone 3GS and iphone 4 in my left hand. like most good god-fearing christians. and i can reproduce this *problem* 100% of the time.
.

Bringing Religion into this? I must not be christian enough. (I am not Christian, that must be the problem)
post #106 of 213
Most people will be buying a case once they become available. This will resolve your problem as well as give you protection. Those that aren't satisfied should return their iphone. REMEMBER, once the 30 days is up it's yours!
post #107 of 213
Quote:

1,200,000 people share would share their love-my-iPhone 4 stories, but they're too busy enjoying their phones.

www.don'tbothermewiththisdeathgripbs.com
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #108 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Truer words have never been spoken.

I'll second that.

Quote:
I can't think of anything we didn't do. Our phones probably need therapy after the way they were molested this morning.

Besides switching phones, we also tried to hold a phone in each hand and then switch hands, and place the two iPhone 4s next to each other. That was interesting as his UTMS antenna was touching my WiFI antenna and vice versa. His dropped to No Service and mine was fine.

I'm sure it's nothing that a little FaceTime won't cure. It really does sound like a manufacturing issue, though, not a design issue, not software.
post #109 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

Unfortunately, your alternatives are:

1) get a bumper OR

2) don't hold your phone that way.

3) Return it for a refund.
post #110 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

3) Return it for a refund.

4) Get over it.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #111 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

EDIT: Ah, I see you have tried it with other iPhones with mixed (mostly negative) results. I will say the fact that it doesn't seem consistently reproducible makes it seem as though it is not a design issue, and not a software problem. It really is starting to look to me like some sort of manufacturing issue.

I think SW is a best case scenario. Maybe the TriQuint UMTS chip drivers are getting confused.

Worst case scenario is a production issue with some component or the assembly.

Worst, worst case scenario is Apple "solves" the problem the HW issue with SW which instead masks the issue of the dropping bars by altering the algorithm so the user has no visual indication of why a call has dropped or why their internet service has failed.

However, that worst, worst case scenario should be easy to figure out as at least one video shows a guy touching just the gap between antennas and having the NYTimes fail to load until he lets it go. If the problem isn't adequately solved with SW then page loadings should still resemble that video. I recommend everyone with an iPhone 4 try and document his method before and after this impending update.

http://vimeo.com/12864890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Apple won't just not give me a new bumper they won't give me a replacement phone either. I was told that clearly by a level 2 technician today having been told last Friday, by the exact same technician that they would replace the phone if they couldn't fix it. The technician said there was no point giving me a new phone because it would do the same thing and there was no point putting it in for repair because they would find nothing wrong with it so I would just be wasting my time, but he did say I could do that if I wanted to.

I will probably keep the phone though because other than that and a few minor software bugs, I'm amazed at how good it is. Unless a SW fix comes I don't see being able to get a properly functioning phone until at the very minimum a years time if Apple redesigns the antenna, and that's too long for me to want to go without an iPhone. It sucks, but the alternatives suck even more.

Either you get a product that works as expected or you get your money back, at least in the US. I don't care if he says the problem will exist on another iPhone. I'll decide that and if it does then I'll decide whether to try a third or to get my money back and take my business elsewhere or wait for a real fix to happen.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #112 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

uhm, no ...?

lefties? i'm right handed and hold my iPhone 3GS and iphone 4 in my left hand. like most good god-fearing christians. and i can reproduce this *problem* 100% of the time.



sorry. didn't have this *problem* with the 3GS.

let's see. i pay at&t for unlimited bytes. except they tell me i can't use those bytes for tethering or facetime or whatever else will bring their network to its knees. . now i have apple telling me i must not hold my phone in a certain way? give me an effing break. what's next? don't masturbate next to the wall, you'll injure your wrist?

seriously, i'm a fanboy of 30 years (and no boy) and an apple shareholder but this is ludicrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

Yes, I proposed the same thing a few months ago. There have been many instances of an individual's behavior changing after an organ transplant. We do not have a full understanding of how the chemical and physiological aspects of our body interact.

Mean spirited, and not called for.
post #113 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

solipsism I usually agree with your posts but just because you are not experiencing problems doesn't mean hundreds of thousands of people aren't. It's actually rude to knock those that are having problems and I didn't expect it from you.

Where did you get this "hundreds of thousands" number? Did you pull it out of your ass? It figures.
post #114 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The class action part has already happened.

No, it has not happened yet, just a few Lawyers testing the waters.
post #115 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinw View Post

No, it has not happened yet, just a few Lawyers testing the waters.

Point taken. Talk of a class action over a device people can freely return risk free has happened.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #116 of 213
I talked with a lot of people and I can tell you that:

Millions... no, Billions are happy with their iPhone 4.

Yeah, that's the ticket!
post #117 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Point taken. Talk of a class action over a device people can freely return risk free has happened.

Agreed If you are not satisfied return it! That simple.
post #118 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think SW is a best case scenario. Maybe the TriQuint UMTS chip drivers are getting confused.

Worst case scenario is a production issue with some component or the assembly.

Worst, worst case scenario is Apple "solves" the problem the HW issue with SW which instead masks the issue of the dropping bars by altering the algorithm so the user has no visual indication of why a call has dropped or why their internet service has failed. ... If the problem isn't adequately solved with SW then page loadings should still resemble that video. ...

The chip drivers seems unlikely, unless it's different batches of chips and the drivers are embedded on the chip (which would make it a HW/manufacturing issue, really), and some of them are messed up, or, unless they are part of the firmware and some iPhones had bad firmware loaded on them, which is possible. I suppose bridging the seam could cause some confusion that the bad firmware/chip drivers couldn't handle.

It's kind of hard to imagine what sort of manufacturing issue could cause it either, though. Maybe an internal connection that isn't solid, but it seems a little too specific for that. Maybe the composition of the antennae on some phones, causing them to not behave as expected (although, that could maybe be compensated for in software).

The only thing that it doesn't seem to look like is that it's a design flaw, otherwise it should be affecting all phones in the same area, and handled by the same person, the same.
post #119 of 213
But if there was a problem with even a small batch of iPhones, wouldn't Apple want to "exchange" a bunch of them so they can do an autopsy on the problematic phones and figure out what the real problem is?

Has Apple exchanged anyone's iPhone 4 due to this antenna problem?
post #120 of 213
I can understand saying no to free bumbers, but telling people they hold their phone the wrong way is not a good thing to say to your customers. Say somethng like its true that holding iPhone a certain way is not the best practice and that they will work to help make it better, but don't tell people who paid for the phone that they are wrong. Customer is always right, even when they are wrong.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AppleCare memo emphasizes no free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception